• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey, I thought it'd be fun to do this series from Cooper's POV. I won't be offended if you just skim over this first instalment, as it is just introductions (and will be incredibly boring if you've already read it).

Chapter One
"Somewhere there's music/How faint the tune/Somewhere there's heaven/How high the moon" blasts out my CD player. I'm a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald. I guess you could say I, Cooper Cartwright, am pretty lucky. After all, I have a nice house in the West Village, a fairly large amount of money (due to my grandfather, who left me this brownstone and $1 million when he died. He left it all to me because I was the only one of the Cartwrights who didn't care when he came out of the closet and told us he was gay. I mean, whatever makes him happy, yeah?). I have a good job (a self-generated private investigation company) which pays well, but it's especially nice on days like this one where my clients aren't requiring my services.
I'm not exactly the most popular person in my family, but then again I have no desire to be. My parents are committed to their record company, Cartwright Records. My brother, Jordan, is their only other child. He, unlike myself, is liked by my parents since he showed interest in joining their boy band, Easy Street. They wanted me to sing bass, but I don't even LISTEN to boy band-type stuff, so what makes them think I'd want to SING in one. No, I much prefer the comings and goings of Cartwright Investigations.
I live two blocks away from Fischer Hall, a dormitory (or, as they like to call it, residence hall) of New York College. This is also my roommate, Heather's, place of work. The living arrangements are a win-win situation, because she gets a place to stay, and I get my billing done without having to pay my accountant $175 an hour. She does my billing for me instead of paying rent. I don't really think of Heather in a romantic way, she's more like a… well, like my little brother's ex. Which is exactly what she is. She used to sing songs for Cartwright Records and tour around malls performing them to bunches of screaming pre-teens. She also was engaged to my brother and living with him, until she walked in on him and Cartwright Records' newest teen pop sensation Tania Trace having oral sex. So, like any kind person, I did my bit to help her and offered her the top floor of the brownstone, which was empty anyway. I guess it must be a challenge working at Fischer Hall, attempting to organise hundreds of kids.
In fact, I heard just before that this morning a girl's body was found at the bottom of an elevator shaft. They say she was elevator surfing (riding on top of the elevator). Just as I am wondering about this, I hear a pounding on my front door. I grudgingly get up and answer it. It is none other than Jordan.

#2 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hey, I know that it's not as fun to write (and probably not as interesting to read) when Cooper isn't in love with Heather yet, but i really wanted to do the whole her-growing-on-him thing.

#3 lmnt

lmnt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hey this is good! Continue soon!

-Gina :icon_lol:

#4 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Thanks! I'll do the next chapter in two bits since it's a bit longer than the first one

Chapter Two
"Where is Heather?" he wants to know. Geez, it's really hard on Heather being so abruptly left by the man she loves, and said man coming to her door doesn't make it any easier.
"Heather is at work, but she should be home soon. Please go away."
"NOOO, let me in! I'll just wait here until she arrives!!"
"JORDAN, LEAVE HEATHER ALONE!" I shut the door on him and return to listening to my music. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be giving up, so I move out to the back garden where I can be in peace, and not have to listen to his pounding and shouting.
I hear the pounding stop, and muffled voices. Then the locks being undone. Heather must be home. Turns out I was right, as a minute later she slips inside and the pounding returns. I can see her standing in the doorway to the garden, so I say to her,
"Is he gone yet?"
"No," she replies, "But he will be soon." She looks surprised for a second, and then asks me "Are you hiding back here?"
"You got that right." I say. Well, I am! Knowing Heather, I grab a beer out of my Igloo. "Here, I figured you'd need one of these."
She takes the bottle, looking grateful, and sits down on a nearby wrought-iron chair. Lucy, her dog, leaves my side and rushes over to greet her.
Heather doesn't look too distraught about the whole death thing, so I say,
"So, was it bad?" Nodding my head in the direction of Fischer Hall.
"It wasn't pretty," Heather says, taking a sip of her beer. To be able to handle that so well… well, she's quite brave if I say myself. Especially considering the songwriting thing. I don't think I told you, but the reason that Heather no longer sings is because she got the guts to stand up to my dad (and he's intimidating) and say that she was either going to sing the songs that she'd written, or no songs, and unsurprisingly my dad chose no songs. And, I mean, that takes courage. And actually, Heather's songs are really damn good. Not that I was there when she performed them to my dad or anything, but I hear her practising them late into the night. Hey, you can't help hearing these things!
"Anybody know how it happened?" I wonder aloud. Heather just shakes her head and says sadly,
"No. Or if someone does, they aren't exactly coming forward with the information."
"Well," I say, "they're just kids. Probably afraid they'll get into trouble."
"I know, it's just… how could they have just LEFT her there? I mean, she had to have been there for hours! And they just LEFT her!"
I look at her curiously. "How do you know she was with anybody?"
"Nobody goes elevator surfing alone. The whole point is that a bunch of kids climb on top of the elevator through the maintenance panel in the ceiling, and dare on another to jump off the roof of their car they're riding on, onto the roof of a second car as it passes by. If there's no one to dare you, there's no point." Wow. She sure knows her dorm facts. But still…
I like listening to people. I mean, you can find out a lot more from sitting and listening than from butting in and saying your own thing.
Heather continues. "The whole point is that kids dare each other to make bigger and braver leaps. You would never elevator surf alone So she had to be with someone. Unless-"
"Unless what?" I think I get it now. Heather is doing a little sleuthing herself! She doesn't think that kid was surfing at all! She thinks she was pushed or something! She hesitates, and then says something which confirms my suspicions.
"Well, unless she wasn't elevator surfing at all."
"So," I say, slightly amused, "if she wasn't elevator surfing, how did she fall to the bottom of the shaft? Do you think the elevator doors opened, but the are didn't come, and she stepped out into the shaft without looking?"
"I don't know," Heather says, irritated, "That doesn't just happen, does it? The doors won't open unless the car is there. And even if they did, who would be stupid enough not to look first?" I can't take it any longer. I mean, Heather just pretending she doesn't have a clue. Because she totally does.
"Maybe someone pushed her."
"Pushed her?" Heather sounds dazed. Um, oops? But maybe she's just putting on an act.
"That's what you're thinking, isn't it? Maybe she didn't slip and fall. Maybe she got pushed." Ha! Got her! "Don't try to deny it. It's written all over your face." Heather looks defeated…
"Girl's don't elevator surf, Coop." COOP? NO-ONE EVER CALLS ME COOP! "They just don't. I mean, maybe in other cities, but not here, at New York College. And this girl - Elizabeth - she was preppie!"
"Excuse me?" I don't know what she's talking about. But 'preppie' certainly doesn't sound much like something that could put someone off elevator surfing.

#5 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Thanks so much for the good feedback, Gina. I love it that you're enjoying it.

#6 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:42 AM

If I get some more feedback, I'll put more up but I don't want to put it up if nobody's gonna read it. Anyway I'll finish chapter 2

"Preppie," Heather explains, like I'M the kid. But, hey, I'm OLDER than her! "You know. Clean cut. Preppie girls don't elevator surf. And let's say that they did. I mean, they just LEFT her there. Who would do that, to a friend?"
Heather is persisting, but so far the only evidence she's come up with is 'Girl's don't elevator surf', which not even the most inexperienced detective would consider evidence. But I'll play along.
"Kids." I say, with a shrug.
"They aren't kids," she insists, "They're eighteen years old."
"Eighteen's still a kid in my book." What, it is! "But let's say you're right, and she was too, um, preppie to be elevator surfing. Can you think of anyone who'd have a reason to want to push her down an elevator shaft… providing they could figure out how to do this in the first place?"
"The only thing in her file," Her file! NOW we're getting somewhere! "Is that her mum called and asked her to restrict her guest sign-in privileges to girls only."
"Why," I ask, "She got an abusive boyfriend her mum wanted PNG'd?" A PNG is a persona non grata memo, something they issue in Fischer Hall to someone denying them entry to the building. I don't listen to Heather's ramblings about Fischer Hall for nothing, you know. I do learn some stuff.
"No," Heather says, "No boyfriend mentioned."
"Doesn't mean there isn't one." I'm only being reasonable. "The kids have to sign guests in, right? Did anyone check to see if Elizabeth had a boyfriend - maybe one Mum didn't know about - over last night?" Heather shakes her head, staring at Fischer Hall.
"She had a roommate," Heather explains, "She's not going to be having some guy spend the night with a roommate in a bed right across the room."
"Because preppie girls don't do things like that?" I tease her. Ha. Heather squirms.
"Well… they don't."
"Roommate could've stayed the night with someone else." I suggest.
"I'll check the sign-in logs. It can't hurt."
"You mean, you'll tell the police to check the sign in logs?" Okay, I really hope she's not going to attempt to solve this crime herself. She could get in danger! Okay, that sounded totally corny, I know what you're thinking… It's just that, well, someone like Heather needs a little help and guidance sometimes.
"Police?" Heather looks startled. "You think the POLICE are going to get involved?"
"Probably," I answer, slightly humoured, "If they harbour the same 'preppie girls don't do that' suspicions as you seem to."
She makes a face at me (what did I do?) just as the doorbell rings.
"HEATHER! COME ON, HEATHER! OPEN UP!" Oh God, Jordan is still there. Does he seriously have to rub it in her face like that? Not that I know much about romance… I mean, my current girlfriend, Marian Braithwaite, who, funnily enough, teaches at NYC, is starting to get on my nerves a bit. She's a little too… intimate.
"His devotion to you is touching." I remark.
"It's nothing to do with me. He's just trying to annoy you. You know, get you to throw me out. He won't be happy until I'm living in a cardboard box in the median of Houston Street." What's up with that?
"Sounds like it's over between the two of you, all right."
"It's NOT that," Heather persists, "He doesn't still LIKE me. He just wants to punish me for leaving him."
"Or for having the guts to do your own thing. Which is something he'll never have." Or to admit he was wrong to cheat on her, and he wants her back…
"Good point." We hear Jordan shout in at the front door
"COME ON, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE IN THERE"
"Well," I say, "As much as I'm enjoying sitting here listening to Jordan have a meltdown on my stoop, I have to get to work." I have another client wanting me to spy on her soon-to-be-ex. I love my work, but a lot of my clients seem a little… shallow. I mean, if he wants to break up then he wants to break up! But I'm not about to tell Heather this.
"You're working?" She asks, "On a Saturday night? Doing WHAT, exactly?" I told you so. She's always trying to get me to slip up and tell her, but then this little game would be over, wouldn't it? And besides, my clients like me to keep their love lives to myself.
"Nice try. What are YOU going to do?"
"Oh. Nothing." Heather replies casually.
"Well, don't stay up too late doing NOTHING." I warn her. She'll probably be writing some more songs or doing my billing, which seems to take her about double the time that I thought it would. But there's never once been a mistake in my bills. I do feel a little guilty about making my billing so hard for her, I mean, all of my receipts are practically illegible, even to me. If I can't understand them, and I'M the one who wrote them, then SHE can't understand... can she? Well, only a LITTLE guilty.

#7 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:42 AM

If I get some more feedback, I'll put more up but I don't want to put it up if nobody's gonna read it. Anyway I'll finish chapter 2

"Preppie," Heather explains, like I'M the kid. But, hey, I'm OLDER than her! "You know. Clean cut. Preppie girls don't elevator surf. And let's say that they did. I mean, they just LEFT her there. Who would do that, to a friend?"
Heather is persisting, but so far the only evidence she's come up with is 'Girl's don't elevator surf', which not even the most inexperienced detective would consider evidence. But I'll play along.
"Kids." I say, with a shrug.
"They aren't kids," she insists, "They're eighteen years old."
"Eighteen's still a kid in my book." What, it is! "But let's say you're right, and she was too, um, preppie to be elevator surfing. Can you think of anyone who'd have a reason to want to push her down an elevator shaft… providing they could figure out how to do this in the first place?"
"The only thing in her file," Her file! NOW we're getting somewhere! "Is that her mum called and asked her to restrict her guest sign-in privileges to girls only."
"Why," I ask, "She got an abusive boyfriend her mum wanted PNG'd?" A PNG is a persona non grata memo, something they issue in Fischer Hall to someone denying them entry to the building. I don't listen to Heather's ramblings about Fischer Hall for nothing, you know. I do learn some stuff.
"No," Heather says, "No boyfriend mentioned."
"Doesn't mean there isn't one." I'm only being reasonable. "The kids have to sign guests in, right? Did anyone check to see if Elizabeth had a boyfriend - maybe one Mum didn't know about - over last night?" Heather shakes her head, staring at Fischer Hall.
"She had a roommate," Heather explains, "She's not going to be having some guy spend the night with a roommate in a bed right across the room."
"Because preppie girls don't do things like that?" I tease her. Ha. Heather squirms.
"Well… they don't."
"Roommate could've stayed the night with someone else." I suggest.
"I'll check the sign-in logs. It can't hurt."
"You mean, you'll tell the police to check the sign in logs?" Okay, I really hope she's not going to attempt to solve this crime herself. She could get in danger! Okay, that sounded totally corny, I know what you're thinking… It's just that, well, someone like Heather needs a little help and guidance sometimes.
"Police?" Heather looks startled. "You think the POLICE are going to get involved?"
"Probably," I answer, slightly humoured, "If they harbour the same 'preppie girls don't do that' suspicions as you seem to."
She makes a face at me (what did I do?) just as the doorbell rings.
"HEATHER! COME ON, HEATHER! OPEN UP!" Oh God, Jordan is still there. Does he seriously have to rub it in her face like that? Not that I know much about romance… I mean, my current girlfriend, Marian Braithwaite, who, funnily enough, teaches at NYC, is starting to get on my nerves a bit. She's a little too… intimate.
"His devotion to you is touching." I remark.
"It's nothing to do with me. He's just trying to annoy you. You know, get you to throw me out. He won't be happy until I'm living in a cardboard box in the median of Houston Street." What's up with that?
"Sounds like it's over between the two of you, all right."
"It's NOT that," Heather persists, "He doesn't still LIKE me. He just wants to punish me for leaving him."
"Or for having the guts to do your own thing. Which is something he'll never have." Or to admit he was wrong to cheat on her, and he wants her back…
"Good point." We hear Jordan shout in at the front door
"COME ON, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE IN THERE"
"Well," I say, "As much as I'm enjoying sitting here listening to Jordan have a meltdown on my stoop, I have to get to work." I have another client wanting me to spy on her soon-to-be-ex. I love my work, but a lot of my clients seem a little… shallow. I mean, if he wants to break up then he wants to break up! But I'm not about to tell Heather this.
"You're working?" She asks, "On a Saturday night? Doing WHAT, exactly?" I told you so. She's always trying to get me to slip up and tell her, but then this little game would be over, wouldn't it? And besides, my clients like me to keep their love lives to myself.
"Nice try. What are YOU going to do?"
"Oh. Nothing." Heather replies casually.
"Well, don't stay up too late doing NOTHING." I warn her. She'll probably be writing some more songs or doing my billing, which seems to take her about double the time that I thought it would. But there's never once been a mistake in my bills. I do feel a little guilty about making my billing so hard for her, I mean, all of my receipts are practically illegible, even to me. If I can't understand them, and I'M the one who wrote them, then SHE can't understand... can she? Well, only a LITTLE guilty.

#8 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

sorry for posting that twice...

I thought my internet was stuffing up the first time but it turns out not...

SORRY

#9 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

Chapter Three
I spend most of my evening, and, let's be frank, night, crouching down in a bush pointing a micro-camera into a soon-to-be-ex's apartment. Yep, the going is tough as a PI.
I arrive back home around 1 am, and climb exhausted into bed. Tonight Heather's playing softly, so the lyrics are inaudible but I can still hear that she's playing. Just.
According to a worried mother, from 8:00 in the morning will be the best time to spy on her daughter's (Belinda Thompson) room in Fischer Hall on the 13th floor. She wants me to make sure that Belinda isn't getting hot and steamy with any boys… Imagine what Heather would say if she knew THIS was where I'm working!
Speaking of Heather, my work phone just buzzed (on silent of course, working as a PI) and it said 'Heather' on my caller ID. I mean, that's why I was so surprised. She could have called on my personal phone, which would have been more appropriate. Yep, definitely would have. Unless she's calling to request my PI services, which I find highly unlikely. She wouldn't call unless it was something important, though, right?
"Cartwright Investigations." I say into my phone.
"There's been another one." She says, in a whisper.
"Another WHAT?" I am genuinely curious. "And why are you whispering?"
"Another death be elevator." She whispers again. Oh GOD! Okay, call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that maybe Heather was right. Maybe they weren't elevator surfing… I mean, two deaths in two days?
"Are you serious?" I ask. Well… it COULD have been a mean prank.
"Yeah." She says.
"Dead?"
She pauses. "Yeah."
"Jesus, Heather, I'm so sorry." Wow. Big shock to her.
"Yeah." What's up with this monosyballic charade? DON'T BE RIDICULOUS, COOPER! TWO GIRLS HAVE JUST DIED IN HER BUILDING. OF COURSE SHE'S UPSET! "Listen… could you come over?"
"Come over? What for?" I don't see how I would help. Plus, I'm on an assignment.
"Downstairs," I hear her say in a muffled voice, presumably to someone else, "Another, um, elevator incident."
She whispers to me, " I want to get to the bottom of what is going on over here, and I could use the help of a professional investigator, Cooper." Not again…
"Whoa. Slow down there, slugger. Are the police there? Aren't they the professional investigators?"
"The police are just going to say the same this about this one that they did about the last one. That she was elevator surfing and slipped." Don't get me wrong, she's good company, but GOD she's persistent.
"Because that's probably what happened, Heather."
"No." She sounds convinced. "No, not this time. DEFINITELY not this time."
"Why?" I ask, a little frustrated. I don't have time for this! "Was this latest one 'preppie' too?" I feel like we've had this conversation before…
"I don't know. But that's not funny."
"I'm not trying to be funny. I just-" She cuts me off
"She like Ziggy, Coop." There comes that 'Coop' thing again. And what the hell is Ziggy?
"She liked what?"
"Ziggy. That cartoon character." A CARTOON CHARACTER! I don't have time for this!
"I've never heard of it."
"Because it's like the uncoolest cartoon character ever. No one who likes Ziggy is going to elevator surf, Coop. NO ONE."
I just restrain myself from saying "I'm not Coop, okay? It's Cooper. Coop-ER. E-R." Instead I say, "Heather-" but she breaks me off again.
"And that's not all. Someone took the key."
Um… shouldn't she have mentioned this to me FIRST? "What key?" I ask.
"The key that opens the elevator doors." She sounds really upset… "No one signed it out, Coop. You're supposed to sign it out. But they didn't. Which means whoever has it can open the elevator doors any time they want… even if there's no car there." Whoa… um… big? I know… there it comes again. Coop.
"Heather. This is something you need to tell the police. Right away," I say, trying to sound calm.
"Okay."
"Go tell the police exactly what you told me. And then go get a big cup of coffee with lots of milk and sugar in it and drink it while it's still hot."
Well… she needs SOMETHING to calm herself down.
"Why?" She asks.
"Because I have found in my line of work that sweet milky drinks are good for shock when there is no whisky available. Okay?" And no, I am not going to mention that incident.
"Okay. Bye."
I am practically thirty seconds from the door to Fischer Hall, but I dawdle so as not to seem suspicious. Oh crap… Belinda!

#10 lmnt

lmnt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

That was really good, I can't believe theres been no activity here since January. if your still here, you should def update!

-Gina

#11 bookworm7835

bookworm7835

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

Ok I will update... i thought no-one was interested to read :a_smil08:

#12 EmilyM

EmilyM

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hey have you stopped this story? I liked it :)

#13 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I like it too, please continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users