Photo

Help Meg Come Up with Mediator Discussion Question!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

HELLO Mediator fans!

Want to help Meg spread Mediator Love throughout the land?

You can help by coming up with "discussion group" questions for the re-issue of Mediator Books One and Two. Winning questions will be published in a brochure that will be used to prompt discussions about the books online and in stores!

Questions should be thoughtful and smart (that's why Meg wants to get YOU involved, obviously!) Forum members who come up with the best questions will win copies of the new re-issue (and you will also get your questions in the new brochure, of course!)

Post questions here until Dec 12.

THANKS!

#2 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

This is a great idea. I love the Mediator books and will probably be getting the reissues since my paperbacks are literally falling apart. Okay, here are some questions:

Book 1
1) In the first book, Suze finds out that a hunky ghost is occupying her new room? If you were in Suze's position what would you do?
2) Jesse died in California, circa 1850 and has experienced the world as a ghost for over a hundred years. What sort observations do you think he might have made as the world shaped into what it is today?
3) What would you do if you could see ghosts like Suze and how would you feel about it?
4)Suze is likeable character. What aspects about her character do you like?

Book 2
1) How has Suze and Jesse's relationship evolved through the course of the first two books? Do you think either Suze or Jesse has feeling for the other?
2)Do you think Suze actually had feelings for Thad or was she using him to make Jesse jealous?
3) Vampires were talked about in this book. Why do you think they were used as a plot device in this book when ghosts are the primary focus of these books? Do you think Father Domnic might be right that vampires do exist in Suze's world?

These probably aren't the greatest but at least it's a start,
M

#3 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

I love these questions, Starberry! Keep them coming!

Here are some of the publisher's ideas, just to give you a sample of what kind of questions they're looking for (although I think you guys, being readers of the series, could come up with even better ones).

Suze is a mediator and can see, talk to, and touch ghosts but she’s rarely happy to have one appear. Would you want to have Suze’s abilities if you could? Or do you agree with her that it’s a curse?

The story is written in first person so we must rely on Suze’s viewpoint. But people are not always the most accurate self-observers—either too critical or trying to paint themselves in a different light or covering up how they really feel about someone else. Which of Suze’s actions show she’s not as tough as she tries to portray herself to be? Why is she so surprised to find her peers like her?

We learn a few things about Suze’s life in New York before she moved to Carmel, CA—including some trouble she got into in the line of her mediator duties—and even her reactions to Carmel tell us a lot about her past. How does moving to California change her? How does she change the people she meets at the Junipero Serra Academy?

Jesse, the ghost haunting Suze’s bedroom, has been dead for one hundred and fifty years and is reluctant to move on to the afterlife. What clues does Meg give us about his life? Judging from his reactions to Suze, what do you think his existence has been like since his death?

And as inspiration, here's a look at what you guys could win. A copy of THIS beautiful book:
Posted Image

Love it? Me too!

Keep those discussion questions coming!

Meg

#4 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Umm okay I sat around thinking, and I could only come up with one for book 1.

Suze solves the problem of Heather by exorcising her- do you think that was a good choice? What would you have done in Suze's position?

My brain's kind of dead right now. Maybe I'll come up with some more later.

#5 Mocha007

Mocha007

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

This is such a cool contest! I always love reading the little questions at the ends of book-club novels. Here are a few I came up with:

Although she committed suicide, Heather cannot bear to let go of her old life when she comes back as a ghost. Why do you think this is?

Suze presents herself as very tough and jaded; however, she is revealed several times to have a much softer heart than she admits. Why do you think she does this? Do you think it helps or hurts her in high school and as a mediator?

Father Dominic is diplomatic and patient when dealing with ghosts; Suze tends to be more forceful. Do you think one approach is better than the other? How would you deal with ghosts if you were a mediator?

If Suze were not a mediator, would she have a different personality or attitude toward life? How do you think she would be the same or different?

That's all I have for the first book, for now.

Edited by Mocha007, 11 December 2010 - 12:07 AM.

#6 star.girl

star.girl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

Suze likes to call her new stepbrothers Sleepy, Dopey and Doc. Do you think that by the end of the book her perception about them has changed? or is it ever going to change?
(okay we know it does change, but new readers don't)

Jesse's been a ghost for a hundred and fifty years, he's been hanging around during a lot. Why do you think he hasn't changed? why does he still acts like a perfect gentleman and likes to use big and old words?

Suze constantly says she's boring and plain and boys are not interested in her, when the truth is it's the total opposite. Why do you think she thinks of herself like that?

Suze constantly says she didn't ask for the "gift" she has been given, she says it brings her nothing but problems. Why do you think never saw the brightside of it?, not until she moves to California and meets father Dom?

Suze's dad likes to check on his little girl, he comes around when Suze least expects him, and she has said she doesn't know why he's still around. Why do you think that is?
(okay again, we know the answers, but not people who has only read books 1 and 2)

#7 star.girl

star.girl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

I have more :P

Suze doesn't tell anybody about her "gift" and she has stated her reasons why. If you were in her position, what would you do? if you were to tell someone, who would you tell?

Suze becomes friends with CeeCee and Adam, two not very popular kids, when she culd have chosen to hang out with the popular crowd. Why do you think that is?

Suze has said she's very sad she left her best friend, Gina, in New York; but she has become very good friends with CeeCee. Do you think their friendship would evolve to a point when Suze would think of CeeCee as her other best friend?

We know how Suze feels about moving to a new state and living in a new house with three new stepbrothers. But how do you think the feel about having a new stepsister? were they annoyed or they just didn't care?

#8 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for your awesome questions, everyone!

Winners will be announced SOON!

#9 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for your awesome questions, everyone!

Winners will be announced SOON!

Guess what? Books a Million (the publisher) LOVED all your Mediator questions! (This is not surprising, by the way.) They are using a question from each of you in the discussion guide. You will all be getting a free book! And you can find your questions in the discussion guide in Books a Million stores in February!!!

Please send your address to ann@megcabot.com for your free book!

#10 star.girl

star.girl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Guess what? Books a Million (the publisher) LOVED all your Mediator questions! (This is not surprising, by the way.) They are using a question from each of you in the discussion guide. You will all be getting a free book! And you can find your questions in the discussion guide in Books a Million stores in February!!!

Please send your address to ann@megcabot.com for your free book!

REALLY?!?!?
WOW YAY!
so SO glad I could help,
it'd be so awesome to see the questions in the discussion guide (:
thanks a lot!
I'm sending you an email right now (:

#11 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Wish I would have known about this. I would have loved to contribute. There's always next time I guess :)

Great questions, everyone!

#12 Mocha007

Mocha007

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

That's so awesome! Thank you so much! Posted Image

Oh, is there any way to find the discussion guide online or something? I don't think there are any Books A Million stores near me.

#13 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

FYI, my Books a Million had the discussion guide out today in their book club section.

Very neat,
M :)

#14 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

FYI, my Books a Million had the discussion guide out today in their book club section.

Very neat,

That's so cool. I would check it out, but there's no Books a Million here.

#15 star.girl

star.girl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

Very neat,

aw!
I wish I could see it ):

T_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users