#1 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

Books: Teen

Hello boys and girls!!!

Here we have a brand new and fresh thread to discuss Books: Teen.

Please, come and talk about your favorite books, recent finds and everything else bookish regarding YA or Teen or whatever you want to call it!

Have fun.

Clavie

#2 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I finished Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer over the weekend and loved it. It was a good spooky story with some romance in it. Now I'm on to My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison. I've had this FOREVER and am only now just getting around to it, mainly because I have the sequel coming to me in a few days as part of an ARC tour.

Also, new covers released-

Posted Image
Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker (out in July 2011, I think)
Lacey Anne Byer is a perennial good girl and lifelong member of the House of Enlightenment, the Evangelical church in her small town. With her driver's license in hand and the chance to try out for a lead role in Hell House, her church's annual haunted house of sin, Lacey's junior year is looking promising. But when a cute new stranger comes to town, something begins to stir inside her. Ty Davis doesn't know the sweet, shy Lacey Anne Byer everyone else does. With Ty, Lacey could reinvent herself. As her feelings for him make Lacey test her boundaries, events surrounding Hell House make her question her religion. Does falling in love mean falling out of faith?

Posted Image
The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder (out in June 2011)
Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of her family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell that he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she's drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade's not just living in the now--he's living like each moment is his last.

#3 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Ha! I love Melissa Walker's new cover. Did that girl die from eating that apple of sin? I love those haunted houses of sin (in an ironic way. I don't actually love them. I actually think they're horrible), I've seen those in Indiana near where I live. CRAZY.

#4 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

^^^Liberty University does one every year here called Scaremare, and while the majority of the haunted house is your regular fare, the last room is the CREEPIEST of them all because it's bathed in red light with the Jesus cross hanging on a wall (I also feel like Jesus was bloody too, but I could be wrong; it's been a few years since I saw it) with people in white robes and hoods kneeling and praying to it. It's like a cult. And then when you leave, they accost you with pamphlets and "TURN AWAY FROM YOUR SINFUL NATURE! COME TO THE LORD" stuff. I went with a Wiccan and I'm an atheist, so we like bolted through those tents to get away from them and back to the car, lol.

#5 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

^^Oh dear! I would have laughed, 'cause, really, I was raised catholic and I went to a 7th day Adventist school for 11 years, so nothing scares me anymore - not after the whole, forcing 5th graders to read the Apocalypse and telling them is a literal thing (had nightmares for a month with that one).

---

Anyway, I've moved on from How to Ditch Your Fairy (found it too convoluted, going to donate it to my school's library, I think). And now I'm reading You Wish by Manddy Hubbard and also finishing up HP4

#6 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

I mean, it's pretty funny to laugh about now, but it is still pretty creepy. I was just like "oh my god CULT!!"

You Wish is an awesome book. I really enjoyed it; it's a nice, fluffy read.

#7 roverslover

roverslover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

I found Buffy the vampire slayer as a book, it is really good... surprisingly nothing like the show but I can hear all the characters talking in the show and when I read the book I seem to be able to see the book as if it was a tv show and the story I was reading was one of the episodes that they made

#8 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Last night, I started Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. I'm so excited to read this book!!

#9 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Last night, I started Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. I'm so excited to read this book!!

You'll love Crescendo. I personally found it to be better than Hush Hush there's some juicy stuff revealed in that book :).
M

#10 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

I'm reading Belle by Cameron Dokey, I like the beginning so far.
I love fairy tale re-tellings.

#11 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

starberry- I love it already and I'm 180 pages in. IT'S SO GOOD. Also, this girl at work told me to tell her how I liked it because she wanted to read it, but hadn't yet had a chance to. This is also the same girl who was reading Linger a couple months ago and I've seen her reading other YA too (Morganville Vampires series for instance).

#12 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

I read, Misguided Angel last night, it was good. I liked Deming and Mimi and Oliver (of all people) I have grown to like immensely. But the book felt short, like three novellas strung together

#13 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

I read, Misguided Angel last night, it was good. I liked Deming and Mimi and Oliver (of all people) I have grown to like immensely. But the book felt short, like three novellas strung together

That's exactly how I felt too. I think I read somewhere that the next book is supposed to be way longer. But who know. But I'm definitely looking forward to the novella, Bloody Valentine that's coming out in December, I think it's supposed to close some holes
Spoiler
that were left in Misguided Angel.

M

#14 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

That's exactly how I felt too. I think I read somewhere that the next book is supposed to be way longer. But who know. But I'm definitely looking forward to the novella, Bloody Valentine that's coming out in December, I think it's supposed to close some holes

Spoiler
that were left in Misguided Angel.

M

I heard that too!! :)
I'm looking forward to it.

What intrigued me the most were the epigraphs!! Like, crazy much?

I'm really looking forward the next one, I think I love Mimi and Oliver best right now. I still love Jack but Schuyler got on my nerves a lot.
Spoiler

#15 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

starberry- oh my god TONS OF JUICY STUFF AND A HUGE CLIFFHANGER!!! I need the next book NOWWWWWW!!!

Anyway, I've moved on to Freefall by Mindi Scott. It's ok so far. I have a couple complaints about it (mostly personal stuff), but it's not too bad.

#16 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

I finished reading Jane (For book club) and I liked it.

Now I'm reading The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder, I think it comes out next year. So far I like it. I'm only in chapter two but it's funny.

#17 Em

Em

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

I am about a quarter through Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody and I'm really enjoying it! For those who haven't read it, it is about a world coming back from the brink of apocalypse... it has magic and adventure and intriguing characters. Definitely recommend it ;)

#18 ran

ran

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

Has anybody else read John Marsden's letters from the inside? I want to discuss the ending with somebody because it is very open.

#19 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

I finally got around to reading Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick.
Whoa, just whoa.
Loved it. Even better than Hush, Hush. Plus, cliffhanger ending!

#20 papercut

papercut

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

There's this book called one whole and Perfect day by Judith Clark

she's an Australian author

i don't know if it comes under the teen genre but it tells the story of a 16 yo girl and her "freakish" family

it tells the story from many points of view and can get confusing but love this book to bits!!

also love the gallagher girl books

they are awesome

anyother "teen" books i can think of that i love

are meg's!

there is some book calling chasing charlie duskin which i haven't read through cause it's in the Dear box at roll call and that's only like 10 minutes max a day! less on wednesdays!

It's by Cath Crowley

another aussie author

i think some of the best "teen" stories i've ever read have been on here though!

other than Meg's!!

mel :)

#21 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Recently, I finished Invisible Things by Jenny Davidson, which is the sequel to The Explosionist. It was just a meh book. The last 30 pages were really good and lots of things were revealed, but everything before that was just so boring. The ending didn't justify the journey.

Right now, I'm on Stork by Wendy Delsol. It's an interesting story with a unique premise.

#22 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

Bought Rosebush by Michele Jaffe on Friday. Haven't read much yet because been studying for exams, but it's pretty good. It's different from the Bad Kitty series for sure, it's not as slapstick funny, but it's still really interesting. Very mysterious.

M

#23 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Bought Rosebush by Michele Jaffe on Friday. Haven't read much yet because been studying for exams, but it's pretty good. It's different from the Bad Kitty series for sure, it's not as slapstick funny, but it's still really interesting. Very mysterious.

M

I'm planning to buy this book today. I don't usually read thrillers, but Rosebush sounds pretty interesting. I hope it's not too scary.

#24 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I'm planning to buy this book today. I don't usually read thrillers, but Rosebush sounds pretty interesting. I hope it's not too scary.

So, far it hasn't been that scary. Then again, I am sort of fan of suspense novels. So, I don't know how good my word is on this sort of thing. But I can tell you it's a very different sort of Michele Jaffe novel at least in comparison to her other YAL books.

M

#25 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

I don't mind suspense so much. However, when I was young, I read stories by R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike and was scared afterward.

#26 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

^^^I'm the most easily scared person there is and this wasn't that scary. It's a wonderful book. I just finished it and it's great. It's still very suspenseful and thriller-ish, but not scary.

Now that I've finished, I'm moving on to Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell and Spray by Harry Edge.

#27 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

Good to know, BI. I get scared easily, too. Can't wait to read Rosebush!!!

#28 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss right now. I got to meet Stephanie Perkins yesterday at her signing and she was so sweet. It's a wonderful book. It's the perfect book for winter- a great story to read on the couch while drinking hot cocoa.

Then I'm moving on to another overseas romance book- Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen. It looks really good.

#29 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Been hearing loads about Anna and the French kiss. I think I'm going to let some of the hype die down before I give it a shot.

#30 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

I think I'll probably get Anna and the French Kiss the next time I go to the bookstore. I was a little skeptical about buying it because of the cover/title (a wee bit embarrassing) but it's gotten really good reviews. Right now I'm stil reading Rosebush (this months book of the month selection) which I've been enjoying immensely. Also, am thinking about buying the Lying Game.

#31 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

^^^I think it's a sweet cover, and could also be much worse. I love the green and blue on the cover. It really pops. Stephanie said she really liked how they did the cover in a similar vein to the covers of Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti. She thought she'd get a hot pink cover, which she wouldn't like, lol.

I finished Falling in Love with English Boys and it was pretty interesting- a dual narrative, one in present day and the other from 1815. I really liked it. Now I'm working on finishing up Anna and the French Kiss, then it's on to re-reading the Ruby Oliver series (all 4 books since I read the 4th several months ago) and reading Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers.

#32 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

^^^I think it's a sweet cover, and could also be much worse. I love the green and blue on the cover. It really pops. Stephanie said she really liked how they did the cover in a similar vein to the covers of Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti. She thought she'd get a hot pink cover, which she wouldn't like, lol.

I finished Falling in Love with English Boys and it was pretty interesting- a dual narrative, one in present day and the other from 1815. I really liked it. Now I'm working on finishing up Anna and the French Kiss, then it's on to re-reading the Ruby Oliver series (all 4 books since I read the 4th several months ago) and reading Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers.

I ended up buying it. Luckily, the creepy guy at the book store wasn't there when I bought it so it all turned out okay, lol. I think after I finish reading it I'm going to reread the Bad Kitty series again. Love Michele's work.

#33 horseprincess

horseprincess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

I just discovered a really good author- Julie Goulding :) I just finished reading her book Dragonfly. It was so good!! I finished it in like 2 days. I recommend this especially if you like reading romance/adventure/fantasy type books ^__^

#34 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Just started North of Beautiful. I think that author is one of my new goddess of writing. I'm like 25 pages in and I already dog-eared about 4 pages for quotes I loved.

#35 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

God, I love the Ruby Oliver series. I just re-read the first two books and they're so good! I'm on the third now and am also finishing up Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers, which I love as well.

Is anyone asking for any books for Christmas?

#36 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Of course! ^
I asked for Hunger Games and Catching Fire, because I only own Mockingjay, and Matched by Allie Condie.

Only a few because I also asked for an ereader (:

Edited by kylie, 20 December 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#37 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

God, I love the Ruby Oliver series. I just re-read the first two books and they're so good! I'm on the third now and am also finishing up Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers, which I love as well.

I've been thinking about buying E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver books. They sound really great.

#38 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

I am asking for books! LOL, but I always do. My sister got me some for my birthday too (ONLY 10 Days away!) but They are stuck at my cousin's place in TX at the moment.

*sigh*

I plan on reading Treasure Map of Boys soon :)

#39 mina1057

mina1057

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hey, guys.
I haven't been on in a while.
Well, I've been reading a really long series the Dark-Hunters novel. I'm almost done and Have no idea what to read next. Have any requests?

#40 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

I've been a crazy reader of Suzanne Collins since Gregor the Overlander, and I wasn't very happy with her for ending that series and starting The Hunger Games...I was NOT going to read it because I'm like my mother in that way: very very VERY stubborn....

And then I couldn't find any good books that I wanted to read: the newest Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives book wasn't due for several months and I'd heard that it was an amazing book...

So, I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins....

I saw immediately that a lot of the characteristics from Gregor the Overlander didn't die...I saw the characteristics of Gregor, Lizzie, Ripred and Luxa...

So I recommend The Hunger Games to any other stubborn Gregor the Overlander fans...as well as Catching Fire and Mockingjay :3

The Hunger Games: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar:
Catching Fire: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar:
Mockingjay: :spinstar: :spinstar: :spinstar: 1/2

love,
Nat

#41 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

I just finished Spray by Harry Edge, which was a fun, action-filled novel. A bit hard to keep up with the multiple perspectives at times, but not too bad. Now I'm reading Wither by Lauren DeStefano. It's really interesting so far!

#42 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

I lost a bet, and I'm reading Twilight. it inspired my small story "For Both Are Infinite" on here. In a whole, it was an okay book. I just didn't like how easy it was to find Stephaine Meyer's writing mistakes. It seriously surprised me that some of those mistakes flew by an editors and publishing companies, when i, a totally not-smart teenager found them right as i read along.

It was a pretty good story, though.

-Nikki

#43 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

I got a surprise book on the mail one the 23rd! This book I had ordered from the Book Depository over a month ago, since it hadn't gotten here, BD canceled my order and refunded my card, and then the book just turned up... :D

I hope the other one also turns up - it was Bright Young Things.

One of my cousins did come down from Tx with her mom, so she got me my books.

I got If I stay, The Summer I Turned Pretty and Artemis the Brave (more of a middle grade book). I also got Savor the Moment for my collection of the Bride Quartet.

Right now I'm reading North of Beautiful, but I'm having a hard time picking it up - like it's good and I like reading it but then I put it down and forget about it. Girl Overboard was easier to get into for me.

And I'm starting Delirium too, since I'm sort of sick and can't do anything else.

#44 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

Oh I loved North of Beautiful! I can't wait to read Delirium, though I still need her debut Before I Fall. I'll prolly read both around the same time.

Along with Wither, I'm also reading Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials by Rosalind Wiseman. I love it- very funny.

#45 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

James - I'm getting into the groove of North of Beautiful!! :D I do like it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users