• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#136 radiah

radiah

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I seriously cannot wait for the sequel, Underworld! Guess what? Abandon is a trilogy with only 3 books.. She said it herself, go to the Abandon page and she wrote it there big and clearly, Abandon Trilogy.. :( But hey, we only read one of them. 2 AWESOME BOOKS TO GO!! :)

#137 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

I seriously cannot wait for the sequel, Underworld! Guess what? Abandon is a trilogy with only 3 books.. She said it herself, go to the Abandon page and she wrote it there big and clearly, Abandon Trilogy.. :( But hey, we only read one of them. 2 AWESOME BOOKS TO GO!! :)

Yah. I guess a trilogy is better than just one. :P

-MEG

#138 TheRomanceBookie

TheRomanceBookie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

Oh I just finished it today! And it was AWESOME!! LOVED IT!!! But that isn't surprising for me haha, I love all of her books! :)

#139 Will_Wagner_luvr

Will_Wagner_luvr

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

I would like to comment about the Furies.

I liked her description of them and the fact that they can take over a person if their character is weak enough. I think that we all have a bit of bad in us, and if not strong enough, it can get out of control.

But I am also confused about something. In the Greek myth retellings I have read, the furies serve the lord of the dead and do his bidding. I know John isn't the ruler of the dead, but he does control/reinforce the Underword and the dead. Why are the furies punishing him? And why do they not want John to have a wife/girlfriend thing?

I have a theory. I suspect that the things that are after John are actually NOT furies but something altogether different. Perhaps another mythological creature that is an enemy of John. Pierce's grandma mentioned that they had been trying to destroy John for a long time. Why would they want to do that? How do they plan to use Pierce? Why do they want her to "stay dead"?

On the topic of Pierce's necklace, I agree with Pierce; this thing should have come with a user's manual. We know that around people whom Pierce trusts, it turns "a cheerful purple" and black or gray when furies or other dark creatures are around. But how did it help Pierce escape from the Underworld (the first time)? Does it do more than just change colors when the wearer is in danger? I really hope we find out more about this necklace and its origin in the next book!

I think that Pierce is a very lovable character, but not really relatable. I don't really mean that in a bad way, I love Pierce, but she is very different from me. Also, I don't know many people who can relate to coming back from the dead. But her fear and the fact that she just wants to forget the past even though she knows she can't, is quite relatable. I think that practically everyone has tried to escape something in their past at one point or another.

I also think that Pierce is a good person in general, although the outside world might not see her as such. I liked that Meg showed that a person can be good and kind while she doesn't necessarily do well in school.

I found her very believable and I think that her actions mimic what I might do in her situation. I can't wait to see her character develop in the next two books!

Also: how the HELL can John control the weather? Is it an unconscious thing? Does he do it knowingly? I thought he was supposed to be HADES not ZEUS!

#140 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Interview with Meg, where she talked about Underworld, the second book in the trilogy.

She said, "We're going to find out a lot more about John Hayden, who is the male protagonist and lord of the underworld. But there are many underworlds in this world, so there is not just one. If there was, it would be very crowded."

I bolded the part that I found most interesting. More than one underworld, huh? Intriguing!!!

#141 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Interesting. I think Meg said something about this before in the Good Reads chat, but that might have been my imagination or something. Cool interview though.

M

#142 Will_Wagner_luvr

Will_Wagner_luvr

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Wow. Thanks so much, DianaSF! That explains why the Furies would have control of John because he is not THE lord of the Underworld, but A lord of the Underworld. I imagine that the Furies regulate and keep all the other Underworld-rulers in check, thus giving them the authority to punish John... but for what? I wonder how many Underworlds there are per area. How small is John's Underworld?

There is a lot still unclear that I am VERY excited to learn about in Underworld. Does anyone have any speculations about some of the questions I stated in my earlier post?

#143 Will_Wagner_luvr

Will_Wagner_luvr

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Which cover do you all prefer? I prefer the US one because I think that the other one looks too much like a vampire novel. <_<

http://www.flickr.co...bot/6050867836/

VS.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

#144 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

Which cover do you all prefer? I prefer the US one because I think that the other one looks too much like a vampire novel. <_<

VS.

I think I like the US one (it's what I have). :P Other one's cool still. I agree about the vampire thing! Lol.

I think Abandon has one of the most "serious" covers out of all of Meg's books, yeah?

#145 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

VS.

Is it bad to say I like both? The UK one looks awesome in my opinion. :)

#146 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

I think I like the US one (it's what I have). :P Other one's cool still. I agree about the vampire thing! Lol.

I think Abandon has one of the most "serious" covers out of all of Meg's books, yeah?

Hehe. I agree Jamie. It probably is the most serious. :P Though the vampire thing is totally bogus. The red and black colors stand for the underworld DUH. Not just vampires. Silly people. ^_^

It think UK one looks beautiful. And the font is cool too. Both and fantastic.

Based on the covers I'd read either honestly.

Edited by 24moon100, 18 August 2011 - 01:22 AM.

#147 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

While I like the colors on the UK cover, overall I prefer the US cover.

Will_Wagner_luvr, I agree that the UK cover makes the book seem like it's about vampires.

#148 Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:47 AM

I love the black and red one, it's sooo pretty!

It can be like a inside joke; while everyone thinks it's about vamps, we'll know the truth. Or something :D

Amelia

#149 KatieCakes

KatieCakes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

I love the UK cover :)

#150 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

The UK cover is awesome, but I think the US one fits the book more. Plus, the gold and the deep brown remind me of chocolate, contrasted with her beautiful dress... I was like "EEEEE!!!" when I saw the cover for the first time, because it was so gorgeous.

#151 TheRomanceBookie

TheRomanceBookie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

The UK cover is awesome, but I think the US one fits the book more. Plus, the gold and the deep brown remind me of chocolate, contrasted with her beautiful dress... I was like "EEEEE!!!" when I saw the cover for the first time, because it was so gorgeous.

oooh, is there a way to post the cover of the UK version?? I want to see it!! :)

#152 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

oooh, is there a way to post the cover of the UK version?? I want to see it!! :)

UK cover:

Posted Image

US cover:

Posted Image

#153 TheRomanceBookie

TheRomanceBookie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

UK cover:

Posted Image

US cover:

Posted Image

Oh wow, that cover is awesome! I think it has a lot to do with the story actually though! Since Pierce knows the dark side of death, and since she has seen the other side. She could have gone both ways when she died, to the good side, or to the underworld. I think that cover is actually pretty relevant, I like it! I think it makes even more sense than the US cover. The US cover is really pretty though, but it doesn't really relate to Pierce's character very much I thought. I don't know, this is just completely my opinion...

#154 Will_Wagner_luvr

Will_Wagner_luvr

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

I don't think that John is hot enough. C'mon. He is the LORD OF AN UNDERWORLD!

#155 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Ohhhh, sorry! I meant US COVER. Not UK. And

I don't think that John is hot enough. C'mon. He is the LORD OF AN UNDERWORLD!

I agree, although frankly, we can imagine him looking however we want! Mwahahahahaha! No, but I tried really hard the whole book to imagine him how he was discribed, which was hard, because "John" doesn't fit the appearance AT ALL in my imagination. But you know. Yeah. If only she'd made his FIRST name Hayden... then I could've imagined him better.

#156 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Okay guys, I just have one thing to say for you: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED ABANDON! Seriously. I'm giving this book, another winner of Meg's without a doubt, 5 (more like 5 trillion) stars! :heartbeat:

When I'd first heard about Abandon, I immediately knew I was going to like it. Even if Meg hadn't have turned out to be the author I would have probably read it eventually. The idea was just simply, well, awesome! :P Ever since I started learning about greek mythology, I remember favoring the Persephone myth over all the others. And Hades isn't even my favorite god. For some reason I just liked the idea of how he'd do anything to make her stay with him, he wanted her at his side that much. Its probably the most romantic out of all the greek myths, I'd have to say. Even in spite of how creepy it actually is if you think about it....Lol.

So then, of course, what does Meg do? She thinks up an even BETTER version of the story for me to read! :a_smil08:

Classic Meg, always knowing exactly what I want to read about. ^_^

And thats just the thing. Everything about it was just so brilliantly thought out. Like the flashbacks, for example. The way Meg seemed to carry the story along, hinting at clues here and there about Pierce's past, only to later reveal it as a memory. It almost had this mysterious thing to it. As if Meg was letting us solve a puzzle. She laid out most of the pieces for us, we just had to allow the story unfold in order to gradually put them together. Genius I'm telling you! :D

Then theres John Hayden. The wild, mysterious, John. The ruler of an underworld! I don't care what anyone says, I utterly loved him! To DEATH even (pun intended that time) :P. I liked that he was tricky to figure out. Usually the majority of Meg's love interests (or at least the ones I've been introduced to so far), like I think I saw someone mention somewhere, have all had some sort of perfectness about them. Like they are always the all-around-good guy or something. Yet, In Abandon, John seemed to be anything but.

Meg was certainly playing the "wild" card with this one. I don't know, I guess he was just sort of refreshing to me. Loved him, loved him, loved him! :hyper:

Plus his eyes. I mean come on, you have to admit it, you don't see THOSE everyday. Sure, I'm all for the blue eyes, but when someone says grey, I flip. ;) Needless to say she picked his eye color wonderfully, if I do say so myself. :heartbeat:

So as you can probably tell, I'm practically bubbling over with praise for Abandon right now. So much, possibly, that this comment might not even make sense to you... :blush:

I loved everything from it's title, to it's cover, to it's writing, to it's characters, to the actual story itself. :D I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it, nothing at all. It was just THAT freaking darn awesome. :D

Its sad though. Now that I've finally gotten around to reading it, I have to wait for Underworld to come out in the spring. :/ May 8th can't come fast enough...Hurry up time! Lol.

Anyway, job well done Meg! You never disappoint, thats for sure! :eusa_clap:

Ps:
Spoiler

-MEGHAN

#157 dreamygirl12

dreamygirl12

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

i read already sp forget april think about june 2012 and the movie

#158 floss45

floss45

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

it's not fair i have to wait until it comes out in the uk before i can read underworld and abandon didn't come out here till november

#159 krazygrl123

krazygrl123

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

has anyone else noticed kayla tells pierces mom about coffin night but it says jade did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users