Photo

I never thought anything bad could ever come of my book obsesion.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hey I just got back from my optomitrist (eye doctor) and they said I have grown near sighted do to reading things close up instead of far away, AKA I read TOO much. Last year I had perfect vision and now I'm getting glasses.If I continue to read every spare second it'll get worse. Has this happend to any of you?
-Audrey :a_smil08:

#2 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

yep i have teh same problem as you
i have to wear glasses now becasue pretty much all i do is read.
on teh computer or in books.
but i could never give up books to read in my spare time.

miss hasta

#3 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Nope. Mainly because I've been wearing glasses since I was little. If you're already getting glasses, might as well keep reading anyway. But just try and read at a normal distance instead of bringing them up close to your face.

That's why I hate books with tiny print. lol

#4 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

I love my reading glasses, they are a badge of honor!

Plus when I have them on, everyone knows not to bother me, it means I am busy WORKING (even if I am only reading a manga)!

Meg

PS I got frames with sparkles all over them.

#5 little rascal

little rascal

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I like the sparkles part. I have glasses that I don't like to where and stuff but everyone says they look good on me and personally they aren't fun to where.

Ashley

#6 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Well I have worn glasses ever since I was little, so I don't think that it makes much difference to me. However I do think that I am ruining my eyesight by reading a lot in by bed, when it is kind of dark.

#7 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

I love my reading glasses, they are a badge of honor!

Plus when I have them on, everyone knows not to bother me, it means I am busy WORKING (even if I am only reading a manga)!

Meg

Your glasses sound really cool Meg. My problem is different though.
Do to reading to much when i get glasses i will have to take them of to read books. Not put them on.
So basicly the only time I'll have them on is when I wanna look at far away stuff.
My close up visions gotten so good the farther one is dimming in comparison. Ha.

-Audrey :a_smil08:

#8 balletlover

balletlover

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

^I have the exact same thing as you! I usually only take them off to read when I'm reading in bed at night. During the day I don't bother taking them off. But you'll get used to it. I've had glasses for over five years now.

Those sound really cool!

-Katie :badgrin:

#9 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

my mom gets made at me for reading on my laptop at night in my bed.
but hey my eyes are ALREADY bad.
i do it anyway...

#10 shadowland750

shadowland750

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

My mom has a pair just like them.

#11 XOQueridaOX

XOQueridaOX

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

my mom gets made at me for reading on my laptop at night in my bed.
but hey my eyes are ALREADY bad.
i do it anyway...

I just got yelled at last night for reading w/ out my contacts or glasses on at 3AM in the morning.I cant remember whos story I was reading.... but I couldn't stop reading it on here so I got a whole lecture. Hey, atleast I didn't get grounded from the comp. Plus the light wasn't working so it was dark...but if my eyes get worse I still have contacts.
-Bree:)

#12 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

^ When I read something late at night, in the dark, I make sure that my mum can't find out, because I would get grounded from the computer too, and that really sucks.

Zoyah :D

#13 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

I have bad vision. It kind of runs in the family, seeing as my grandpa [when he was alive, anyway] and aunt had nearsightedness as well. But other than that, nobody else among my relatives has glasses or contacts. And my grandpa and aunt both got glasses in college, whereas I got mine in 5th grade.

It's been almost 5 years since I got my first pair, and it's progressed. Now when I don't have my glasses on, things on the computer screen are blurry and of course, my vision gets blurrier when I look at things farther away.

It's hereditary for me I guess, but back then I used to read way more than I do now. The doctor told me that it made my nearsightedness worse. I'm going to the doctor's next weekend to try on contacts [yay!].

#14 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well in my family it is heriditory. The whole of my mums side of the family have glasses. ^ You are so lucky to be able to try contact lenses, my mum says that I am not allowed.

#15 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

^^^ you at least can wear contacts. As i said if I leave my glasses on while i read not only my far away vision will detereorate. so i'll never be able to get contacts.

I just got yelled at last night for reading w/ out my contacts or glasses on at 3AM in the morning.I cant remember whos story I was reading.... but I couldn't stop reading it on here so I got a whole lecture. Hey, atleast I didn't get grounded from the comp. Plus the light wasn't working so it was dark...but if my eyes get worse I still have contacts.
-Bree:)

I got yelled at last night too when i was reading a good book i couldn't put down.mom was all, "isn't it bad enough that reading is making you get glasses. why make your nearsightedness worse..
My friends are all telling me to stop reading. I don't care though they can't make me

#16 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:26 AM

^ Stop Reading?! What an evill thing to say.

#17 lil_movie_star

lil_movie_star

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Since it's summer (and all my friends are on vacation) all I really have to do is read. But lately I feel like it's hard for me to read my books. I can see the words just as well as ever, but it kind of hurts my eyes. I've tried reading under several different lights, but nothing helps. Could I possibly have the same problem as you guys?

P.S. (Meg, those sound awesome!)

#18 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

have you tried natural light?
you know sitting by a window?
sometimes that helps
if your eyes hurt
take a break for a day lets say
and see if that helps
it always does for me
go do something outside
like what i really need to do ;)

#19 Guest_~Vampire~Bite~_*

Guest_~Vampire~Bite~_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

I think that has happened to me! About two years ago I started bugging my mom that I needed glasses cause I couldn't read things from far away, and now my parents are finally going to take me to get my eyes checked by the end of the month. I really want glasses so I'm super excited.

#20 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

yeah i had to beg my mom to take me
i couldnt even say the board in class
it was making my grades drop

miss hasta

#21 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

Since it's summer (and all my friends are on vacation) all I really have to do is read. But lately I feel like it's hard for me to read my books. I can see the words just as well as ever, but it kind of hurts my eyes. I've tried reading under several different lights, but nothing helps. Could I possibly have the same problem as you guys?

P.S. (Meg, those sound awesome!)

Thst kinda happened with me. Kinda. Yoiu should get your eyes checked and thell them about thet

I think that has happened to me! About two years ago I started bugging my mom that I needed glasses cause I couldn't read things from far away, and now my parents are finally going to take me to get my eyes checked by the end of the month. I really want glasses so I'm super excited.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Audrey

#22 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

I thought I wanted to get glasses, but then I hated them for a while. I wouldn't wear them often for the first few months because my vision wasn't as bad back then. So when I went to the doctor to have my glasses fixed [my classmates scratched them up by accident] and my prescription checked, I found out that my prescription had doubled. I've worn my glasses dutifully since then.

I continued reading, but I now hold books/magazines/etc. farther away from my face. You might want to try that, lil_movie_star. It might be the proximity and not the lighting.

#23 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

Glasses are not as great as they may seem at first. But I think that after you get used to them they should be great.

#24 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

^^^Thank you Monkey lady for:
(my list; take a pick)
popping my bubble
raining on my parade
spoiling my cake
and many many more.

#25 Queridagirl614

Queridagirl614

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

This happened to me too, but I really like my glasses. They're black and white and don't look like anyone else's.

-Kari

#26 cant_get_enough

cant_get_enough

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Same here, both my parents need glasses and I do too now. It was so annoying at school becasue I couldn'y see far, and even now my friends jokingly call me blind. I don't mind them as much, mainly because if I didn't wear them, I wouldn't be able to read, which would make my life kinda pointless.
My mum always makes me turn the light on when I read as it's getting dark, but I never notice, especially if the book is good. :D
Rebecca

#27 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

Same here, both my parents need glasses and I do too now. It was so annoying at school becasue I couldn'y see far, and even now my friends jokingly call me blind. I don't mind them as much, mainly because if I didn't wear them, I wouldn't be able to read, which would make my life kinda pointless.
My mum always makes me turn the light on when I read as it's getting dark, but I never notice, especially if the book is good. :D
Rebecca

i never EVER notice
my glasses are really simple
just a gold frame
but they're bendy so i always freek out my friends
i bend them in all these wierd positions..hee hee
i love them anyway

miss hasta

#28 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

^^^^ those sound so COOL!!!!!!!!!!

#29 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

they are so much fun to mess with
you should see the reactions not only from friends but from teachers!
if i break them though i will be in MAJOR trouble
they cost almost 500 dollars!

miss hasta

#30 lil_movie_star

lil_movie_star

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thanks guys. You've been a lot of help. I've noticed that my eyes don't hurt as much if they're by natural light (I just open all my curtains). I'll have to try reading the book farther away. Hopefully that will help. Thanks again!

#31 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:02 AM

^^^Thank you Monkey lady for:
(my list; take a pick)
popping my bubble
raining on my parade
spoiling my cake
and many many more.

Just wondering, am I monkey lady? And if I am, what have I done?

#32 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

I don't know if you just couldn't recall Zoyah's full username, but can we please not call people names like as "Monkey Lady"? Thanks.

Well, I have contacts now--I'll alternate between those and my glasses. I'm still getting used to them, but at least I don't get freaked out by putting them in anymore. Also found out that I have astigmatism. Apparently I've had it for a while but the doctor never told me about it.

I have to hold books even further away from my face while I'm reading because my eyesight gets blurry when I hold them too close.

#33 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

Just wondering, am I monkey lady? And if I am, what have I done?

Yeah... you said they were not very great at first.

I don't know if you just couldn't recall Zoyah's full username, but can we please not call people names like as "Monkey Lady"? Thanks.

I didn't mean offense. Just I was using it as a semmy shortening. Sorry if you think I did 'ause i didn't mean it that way...uhh...I din't really think about the was it would appear mean.
-aud

#34 HRH the P.O.G.

HRH the P.O.G.

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

I well...I don't know what i was thinking. SORRY!

#35 Enigmamystery

Enigmamystery

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Don't worry. All people who like reading get glasses.

Katie

#36 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

^^^ Sorry about upsetting you I didn't mean too. I didn't really like having glasses at first, because I was the only one in my year 2 class who had to wear them.

I didn't mean offense. Just I was using it as a semmy shortening. Sorry if you think I did 'ause i didn't mean it that way...uhh...I din't really think about the was it would appear mean.
-aud

And no offence taken and sorry if I sounded slightly mean questioning you like that.

#37 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

-aud

No problem. And I apologize too.

#38 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

hi,

um..People tell me to stop reading too...i dont need glasses though....actually that pisses me off..ok wait that sounds wierd..ill explain..

Everytime I go to an opthalmogist(eye doctor..right?) they tell me i have perfect vision..but i cant atually see that well...certain distances become blurry etc...also when i was 10 someone poked a really thin pointed stick into my eye...luckily it hit the red part..the little ball kinda thing in the inner corner of the eye..so i wasnt hurt to bad even though it bled and stuff...but now i occasionally have black spots in front of my eyes..like little flies that wont go away and obstruct my vision..but still opthalmogists say my vision is perfect..cant they just give me glasses? instead of kidding everyone by saying my eyesight is great? i mean i can tell whether i an see or not right? also when i put on my friends glasses i atually see better than without them..

AMber

#39 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

i have those little fly things too. i forgot what they were called.
but yeah taht means you vision is not perfect.
some doctors are just weird.

#40 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

I'm almost certain that those things are called floaters. I have some of them too, but I hardly notice.

I'm no eye expert, but if you feel that there's something wrong with your vision, you ought to tell your opthalmologist. Only you really know how your vision is; it's not like the doctor can try on your vision to see if there's something wrong with it.

And if he/she insists that you have 20/20 vision, maybe you should consult a different opthalmologist.

#41 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

I get those little floater things too, but my mum says I am too young to get them, but I am getting my eyes checked soon, so I think that I will bring it up then.

#42 Princess-Diaries-Rules

Princess-Diaries-Rules

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

I got glasses last year and i thought my life woz over but it isnt bad. Now when i'm reading i can c the words clearer than before which makes me read even more. Which some of my friends dnt like. But i dnt care!! LOL!! :icon_study:

#43 collie lover

collie lover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

I got glasses 3 years ago and now that you mention it, I probably need them for that same reason, I read too much! All I ever do is read. On the airplane, in the car (even for 5 minutes) in bed, on the couch, after I finish my test. Thats kinda scary if you think about it!
collie lover

#44 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:49 AM

^ I don't think that it is scary, I think that it is perfectly normal.

#45 querida14

querida14

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

I was the worst reader in my class until 2nd grade. Then I was the best, the fastest, and I read so much that I got nearsighted in 3rd grade and had to get glasses. Wah!!!

Oh well, it's not that bad I guess.

:spinstar: A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users