#1 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Chapter 1
Felix

"Hey Kemosabe I'm alone! Ayah! I am a! I am alone! "  Kemosabe - Everything Everything

I remember, it wasn't always the four of us, we used to be three, Felix, Ella and I, we were content that way, we didn't know any different. Of course this time was long ago and obviously I have been changed by my many experiences since, but how could I have survived with, lets face it, only one friend and we weren't even close, then. The one similarity was Fred, my twin brother, always having oh so many girlfriends and the confidence of an entire theatre company.

If you have ever met twins you will know that, more often than not, they are complete and utter opposites. My brother being the perfect example of an extrovert, I would have to be pretty quiet, what is the point of trying to speak over someone who obviously loves the sound of their own voice? Obviously, I know he`s not half as confident as he acts, he is human of course, he does get upset, he definitely has regrets. Some nights, I hear him playing his second hand guitar softly and I see that, Fred my perfect brother sits up at night crying his eyes out - I wish I could cry that easily.

Everyone thought that my brother was some kind of God, some girls actually believed he was a fallen angel or a hallucination, my theory is they just had too much to drink. My point is everyone prefers my brother to me, no one ever waits to get to know me. I have never had a girlfriend, where as my brother has at least a trio of girls trailing behind him whenever he goes out. I am in no way jealous, not at all, Fred is Fred and he needs people to surround him to insure his happiness, I on the other hand am only really comfortable alone. My brother doesn't seem to understand people, yet he loves to be around them, I on the other hand observe and understand people, as a result, I rather be alone.

Though this utterly contradicts the statements above, I must say I was lonely, how could I not be? Nobody wants to know, nobody desires to understand the peculiar being that is Felix Green and you know what I dont care, I didnt care what so ever. 

Then Ella came along with her chocolate brown eyes and curly black hair, as timid as a mouse. I will always remember the warm smile she gave us as we first saw her and how she immediately looked away, I smiled back shyly and found my brother waving to her. Thats what made Ella special, she didn't just smile at my brother, she smiled at us both. In fact if it was up to him we would never have seen her again, ( he always did have a short attention span.) I was the one who asked her quietly whether she would like to see the newborn lambs, the look of surprise she gave me caused me to regret making the offer, then she smiled and nodded.

Ever since that day it had been the three of us, for so long, I suppose I thought it would always be like that. Although all sorts of miracles were expected of my brother, most people don`t leave, especially not people like Ella and I. We had accepted that nobody knew would enter the village, that it would always be the same, it is sad really, but so many of us were terrified of change. I only realised this when change suddenly occured.

It was a quiet Monday morning, perhaps a little windy, but when you live so close to the sea you're used to it. There was a pesky gull sat upon my window sill, making such a racket, so I suppose to say it was quiet would be a lie, but I am try trying to paint a picture of the village in general and quiet would definitely be a key word. The streets were practically deserted, as per usual, we all wanted easy lives and kept ourselves to ourselves as much as possible. 

I glanced at my black wrist watch, which I had placed on my bedside table the night before, it was five in the morning. I had, but fifteen minutes, till I would have to do the morning rounds, unlike my twin, I happen to enjoy hard work, it helps me think. Despite this I do not desire a career in farming, it would make a rewarding pastime and could be alone, but Fred isn't the only dreamer in the family.

Fifteen minutes went by as fast as they usually do and I soon found myself climbing out of my comfy bed, changing into something comfortable and running down the stairs. I noticed as I ran down the stairs that my brother was still snoring happily, his guitar resting upon his lap, still dressed in yesterdays clothes. Nobody expected him to work, he charmed his way out of that too.

I poured myself a glass of milk from the batch we collected yesterday, we always kept some back for ourselves and as I was drinking it I noticed a piece of crumpled paper stuck to the fridge. I instantly noticed my fathers neat scrawl, unlike most of the inhabitants of our tiny village, he was literate and actually a brilliant poet, yet farming was his one true passion. He gave up writing once our mother ran away for a life in the city, a chance to achieve her dreams. In her final note she assured us of the fact she would always love all three of us, but she could never feel complete in a place so secluded and with a life of such simplicity, that she was quite frankly living a lie.

My father had not written a word since, so I was both alarmed and excited when I spotted the note. Then I began to read it. I became confused, why would my father forbid us from leaving the house, for the entire day? The animals needed feeding, eggs needed collecting, the cows needed milking and all the pens were due a good clean. Alas, I was neither bold, nor stupid enough to question this decision, or even think about disobeying my father. 

I ripped the note from the fridge door as carefully as somebody with such bad co-ordination could, hoping not to ruin it. I crept upstairs, back to my dark room and attempted to sleep. My efforts were in vain and my subsequent decision was to present the note to Fred. Luckily he was still asleep and had not left his room, unfortunately this meant I would have to wake him up.

"Fred," I whispered, as I knocked on his door, unlike me he was a deep sleeper and he wouldn't notice if there was a marching band playing right beside his head, if he was sleeping. Needless to say, he was pretty hard to wake up.

"Fred," I repeated, speaking a little louder, but not loud enough to wake our sleeping father in the room opposite. Fred remained in his deep, coma like trance.

There was only one thing for it, I would have to resort to causing him some sort of physical pain. The thought of it made my skin crawl, I hated violence. I tried to hide this from everyone else, but I don't really no why I am ashamed, I really do not see the point in physical confrontation, I would much rather have a meaningful argument or a hearty debate at the very least. Pull yourself together, I thought, your just waking your brother to notify him of something that needs to be brought to his attention, you're doing him a favour. Why do you have to be so dramatic about it? Why do you have to overthink every little thing?

I looked away, as I walked across the room and slapped him round the face. But alas, for all my over thinking, he did not stir at all.

I sighed and gave up with my petty attempts to wake my sleeping brother and left the note on his desk. Adding my own extra message telling him to come to my room as soon as he wakes. I then returned to my room and began to scribble down my thoughts in the form of meaningless poetry. 

I was curled up in a ball, listening to loud music, so loud I hadn't heard him knock and gasped when my brother entered my tiny room. I quickly wiped my shocked expression from my face and replaced it with a somewhat more neutral expression. I do not know why, it was only Fred. 

I removed my headphones and sat down properly, I wondered what my brother was thinking about. 

" So, what do you think the note meant? More importantly what do you think the fact our father wrote a note means?" Inquired Fred, it was as if he wanted to hear my opinion in case we had contradicting views, as if his views had ever not contradicted my own.

" Well, I suppose it must be important or at least it must be important to him. I for one wouldn't dare to disobey such a direct command, although I would keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary." I replied, laughing on the inside at how sensible I sounded.

" Shouldn't we ask him why we are forbidden from leaving the house? " Asked Fred.

" You can, but I for one would trust our father, we`re all he has. " I said sadly, turning away from my brother.

" I suppose," he sighed, as he left the room.

I smiled to myself, sometimes I cannot believe we are related, let alone the same age. Fred is nowhere near a stage of understanding me, this is comforting, because once you're exposed, even your own brother may use your weaknesses against you - these are dangerous times. You cannot rely on anyone.

I put my headphones into my abnormally large ears and I was gone. I had escaped, knowing sometime I would have to return. But hopefully it wouldn't be anytime soon. I stared out the window, as everything stayed the same.

My whole world began to shake, I must have fallen asleep. I cried out and heard giggling coming from behind me. I stood up abruptly and turned around. I stared at my brother and Ella who was stood was beside him.

" That was in no way humorous." I growled. This made Ella laugh even more, I turned round and gave her a hug, glaring at my brother over her shoulder.

" I could have had a heart attack and how would you have felt then?" I continued, as we broke the hug.

" Glad," my brother whispered, not so quietly, under his breath. Ella shot him a disapproving look, whilst I scowled at him.

" Come on, you have to admit, my brother is such a drama queen."

" Oh, shut up Fred. So, Ella how was your trip to the city? " I asked, with genuine interest.

" Boring, as per usual. Anyway, Fred told me about the note and I have heard certain rumors, it is entirely possible that they may be related." 

" I doubt it, " said Fred.

" What are these rumors?" I said, ignoring Fred.

" They say there has been a car sighted, passing through a near by village and that it is on it`s way here."

" Is that all you know?" Groaned Fred.

" A car, here?" I repeated confusedly. 

" Yes, so I suggest you keep looking out of your window into the street, because the car is said to be a military vehicle, with all sorts of protective features." Ella confirmed excitedly.

"I have never seen a car, not in real life anyway. How about you?" I laughed excitedly. 

" Neither have I," said Ella, she then turned to my brother, "Maybe your right about Felix."

" Of course I'm right." He sneered.

I was so excited that I was beyond caring, finally something was changing.

It was gone midday before anything out of the ordinary occurred. Fred had become restless after the first hour of surveillance and after a couple of hours, even Ella was beginning to tire, I on the other hand was finding it all therapeutic and remained cheerful. This came as a shock as I am a normally grumpy person and am usually just as irritable as my brother.

" Maybe it was nothing more than a rumour." Sighed Ella, as she opened yet another bar of chocolate, offering me a piece, before eating the rest herself, with an expression of pure delight on her face.

" It could be, but it`s the only exciting thing we have heard in years and most rumours consist of at least a pinch of truth." I replied joyfully.

" If you say so, " she said, yawning and rubbing her eyes. We then turned our attention back to the window.

Shortly after I spotted a black dot in the distance, it had circular, silver things on the bottom of it. I was pretty sure that this contraption is what is widely known as a car and the fact it was in our small village means that maybe the rumours were true and that maybe things will change. 

" Ella," I cried and she immediately woke, unlike my brother Ella is a light sleeper and is often woken by passing birds on many a windy night.

She turned around, smiled and walked over to join me at the window. We now had matching expressions of excitement upon our faces, watching this " car" machine glide along the street as the other villagers began to leave their homes to investigate. Fred soon joined us as the "car" got closer and closer, until it stopped.

We leaned out of the window to check, but we had been right the first time regarding the location it had stopped. It had stopped next door, right outside the large, empty house, that had not been inhabited for ever since I could remember.  It just stopped, for a while it stayed there.

Then a figure approached the contraption, a figure that I soon recognised as my father. A large man dressed head to toe in black, whom was over twice his height, seemed to be speaking to him and after a while they shook hands, both walking back to where they came from. Next two cloaked figures exited the car and began walking towards the house, the three of us exchanged glances, knowing that the other two were equally curious.

The two cloaked figures continued walking in the direction of the house, they looked about our height, though one was a head shorter than the other. As they unlocked the door both removed their hoods, the taller one revealed a mane of long, light brown hair, the shorter, a mop of shoulder length blond curls, both were obviously female.

" I don't know about you, but I say it`s time to disobey our father." Said Fred, with a mischievous grin. 

A few minutes later I found myself outside the house that was formerly empty and bore no sign of human inhabitants. Beside me was Ella who was no longer excited, I wasn't the only one who thought this was a bad idea. In front was my brother, knocking on the door loudly, still grinning.

Finally the door was opened by the taller girl, she looked surprised, no longer in her cloak, she was now wearing a dark blue t-shirt bearing the word " Weights", that matched her grey, blue eyes perfectly.

" Hi, I am Artemis Zeus and who may you be?" She announced quietly, yet clearly.

I knew she looked familiar.

Millie May

#2 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, I'm intrigued! I'm currently working on the next chapter of my story, so I can't write a long comment just now, but I did want you to know that I read it and am definitely interested. I'm a little confused as to what's going on, but I'm sure that's on purpose and will be explained soon. :) Can't wait to read more.

xoxoArtemis

#3 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well, I'm intrigued! I'm currently working on the next chapter of my story, so I can't write a long comment just now, but I did want you to know that I read it and am definitely interested. I'm a little confused as to what's going on, but I'm sure that's on purpose and will be explained soon. :) Can't wait to read more.

xoxoArtemis

It is meant to be a little confusing, but hopefully not too confusing. Quite a lot will be revealed in the next chapter as its from Artemis`s perspective.

Millie May

#4 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

Wow, Millie - IT IS AWESOME!

I read the first scene about Fred and Felix, and you are right - Look alike twins' personalities are often the exact opposite! (Courtesy: National Geographic)

It's really interesting, but I'm really busy...I'll read the whole story and comment on it soon...Hopefully you won't mind!

#5 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wow, Millie - IT IS AWESOME!

I read the first scene about Fred and Felix, and you are right - Look alike twins' personalities are often the exact opposite! (Courtesy: National Geographic)

It's really interesting, but I'm really busy...I'll read the whole story and comment on it soon...Hopefully you won't mind!

That's fine, just knowing that you read the first scene is nice, take your time commenting and don't think of it as a chore. 

Millie May

#6 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

I hope to post chapter two in the next few days and have just started writing chapter three. I hope it's a little less confusing than the first chapter and its also slightly longer, feel free to give any constructive criticism about anything I write, because I do want to improve. This is going to be from four characters perspectives, so most chapters will overlap. I am quite busy now, so I can't guarantee regular updates, but I will try my best.

Millie May

#7 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Just read the second part, I'm sorta confused about the note... but it was fab!

The part where Fred sleeps soundly and Felix tries to wake him up is funny...

#8 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Just read the second part, I'm sorta confused about the note... but it was fab!

The part where Fred sleeps soundly and Felix tries to wake him up is funny...

There is a lot more about the note and their parents in general in chapter three, which I am currently writing, as its from Fred's perspective there's a lot more about him too. The next chapter pretty much explains the ending, because it's from Artemis`s perspective. Felix is definitely the funniest to write, because he's the character most like me and he's in some ways mature for his age, but in others he's also quite immature. 

I liked that part, it's fun and easy to write scenes with the twins. I love comedy and I really don't want this to seem to serious. 

I really wish I could update, but I wasted too much time, I think I will post a short extract from the next chapter soon. Thanks for reading chapter one, I really appreciate it knowing how busy you are.

Millie May

#9 vahu0929

vahu0929

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

its a really good beginning :icon_biggrin:  :spinstar:  :icon_study:  :user:  :love7:

#10 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

its a really good beginning :icon_biggrin:  :spinstar:  :icon_study:  :user:  :love7:

Thanks, I had written the second chapter and am nearly halfway through the third. So I hope to post something soon.

Millie May

#11 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Interest has definitely been peaked!

You mentioned doing it in more than one perspective, I'm looking forward to seeing the inner Fred.

What type of world have you set this in, its coming across a little post apocalyptic, but I could be way off there.

Also do you have a synopsis I could read? I tend to always go by that first so that was a new experience for me going in to a story blind.

very captivating though.

Vicky x

#12 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've been meaning to write a synopsis. It's hard to explain what sort of world this is, without going into too much detail and potentially giving away too much, but there is a little more information about that in the next chapter, which I will probably be posting some time tomorrow. Fred is really fun to write, but he moans so much about his life and is starting to sound a little too like his brother, which is something I hoped to avoid. I am glad you enjoyed the first chapter, I hope you like the second chapter,  when I finally post it.

Millie May

#13 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm sure I will! I'll keep a look out for it :)

#14 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Chapter 2

Artemis

"Tell your friends not,to live like, they are,with, terrible weights." Weights- Everything Everything

It did not occur to me at the time that my father’s decision may have its advantages. It did of course have its advantages, who knew what I would be like if we had never left the capital. It still had many disadvantages, how could it not? If we had stayed our lives would have been a lot simpler, ironic isn't it? The very reason we left was to get away from the excitement and complexity, who knew that a quiet village could be such an interesting place to live in?  Yet many of the villagers would give anything, I suppose we all desire what we cannot have.

More than anything I was angry, so angry that I had to leave my home. I suppose my father told himself he was doing us a favor letting us live alone, but it was obvious we would drive each other insane, possibly even result to cannibalism. However much I love my sister, we could not help but fight whenever we were together, especially whilst we were both so angry with the rest of the world.

You see, it’s not as easy as people like to think being the eldest daughter of one of the four men who rule our land. It means that you and your sister barely see either of your parents or your brother, it also means you are used to forge some ridiculous treaties and alliances, which are supposedly for the greater good of the land. It means your parents can marry you off to a stranger and nobody will bat an eyelid, I am to marry Onyx Coal, the eldest son of a man who was once my father’s enemy and is equally, if not more powerful than my father. I have never met him and I am to be his bride, it is simply outrageous.

My sister is also engaged to the son of yet another powerful man, her husband to be a young man named Henry Marigold. Our family, the Marigolds, the Coals and the Lyres run the land between them, despite this they are anything but allies. There is no good, nor bad, we all do what’s necessary for the survival of our people and that is why marriage is so important and loveless for people like me.

It is no fun to be “important”, no joy comes from all this power and these riches. Being controlled, having no freedom, it is a shame, we cannot help what we`re born into. Always being recognized and having no possibility of being anonymous is awful, how I wish to be an unknown, a nobody, how I wish to be free. It’s a cruel lifestyle, but then again this is a cruel world.

Our father only had the guts to tell us when all the decisions had been made, when he had to, which happened to be the night before we left. We were not children anymore, or at least that’s what they thought, I doubt that was even their opinion, it was probably just a convenient idea to have. Imagine this, one night I was stuck in a castle, I saw nobody apart from my sister and the servants, with an occasional visit from my parents, then the next morning I was engaged, moving away to an unknown village. Apparently all my female ancestors had been in the same boat. I am yet to understand how that can be.

I recall the conversation between my parents, Athena and I that was the first announcement of so many changes in my life went something like this…

Father: I have something to tell you both, something wonderful, now you are young women, you can make me proud.

Athena: Can I finally get a dog?

Mother: Maybe, once your there.

Me: There, where?

Father: I, I mean, we are sending the two of you to the country.

Me: Why?

Athena: Just the two of us?

Father: Yes, although your guardian will be one of my loyalist supporters, I trust him with my own life, regardless of the fact he is a lowly farmer, I respect him and I trust you will do the same.

Mother: The reason for this decision is quite simply that there is trouble here in the capital and of course there`s the fact your fathers found suitable partners and you are both engaged.

Athena and I: WHAT!

(I may or may not have yelled a number of terrible words at my father and me may or may not have struck me with the back of his hand.)

Athena: Can I still have a dog?

Mother: Of course you can my darling Ali, Athena.

Only later did they explain to whom we were engaged and as they did so my eyes widened, my jaw dropped – I can say quite honestly that I would rather be engaged to a “lowly farmer”, than someone with the terrifying status and power of Onyx Coal. I doubt I would ever have been satisfied with an easy life, but couldn't a girl have just a little bit of simplicity for once.

They say Onyx is the strong, handsome son, Cole the tall, lonely, awkward son and George the mystery, for very few ever mention him or even Cole for that matter, no it was always Onyx. I remember seeing all three of them in our castle once, I was never introduced, as if I didn`t matter at all, but now I matter too much. Onyx and his father looked so alike, whereas his brothers looked slightly like the women who stood beside them, I assumed she was their mother; I could barely see her though. I only recognized them from the blurry photographs delivered to our doors, their family, our family, the Lyres and the Marigolds.

My sister’s engagement complicated the situation even further, the Marigolds are the least powerful of our four families, and for all their technology they possess so little land. My father believes they are a lot more powerful than we think. But my sisters not even engaged to the eldest son, whom is of course the heir to the Marigold fortune, but his younger brother. Who knows what was going on in my father’s head?

The following morning I was awaken at such an early hour by my elder brother Alb Apollo. I was filled with joy as I saw his face for the first time in many months. I noticed a new scar upon his face and that brought me back to reality – my brother wasn't visiting to have a nice, little chat with his sisters, he was back home to say goodbye, only this time he wasn't the only one leaving.

He smiled at me for a while and squeezed my hand, before waking Athena from her deep sleep. Athena looked so much younger when she was sleeping and seemed to age rapidly as she awoke. Speaking of looking older, Apollo looked a lot like our father, this really frightened me, I missed my brother.

I feel as if I must address the subject of our names, sooner or later, if I am to continue recalling the tales of my past. Please note that in the Zeus clan we are not addressed by our real names, at least not in front of outsiders, instead we use names of Gods and warriors usually from Greek mythology. Our real names remain a secret to everyone, except our family and if you marry your husband or wife must be given your name and trusted to keep it a secret as long as they live.

My father is an extremely superstitious individual, he refuses to take any chances and believes that names just like knowledge equate to power, he refuses to explain why.

The three of us, all three siblings together, not a frequent event, something that would normally be rejoiced, we couldn't appreciate it if we wanted to. We were separated once more as Athena and I were squashed in to a tiny black car, sat in the driver’s seat was one of our fathers chauffeurs. The doors were slammed in a loud and abrupt manner. I only just turned around in time to see the castle disappear from view, I was leaving everything I knew and by the time I returned everything had changed so much.

I had spent ages staring out of the window, nobody could see in through its bullet proof glass, despite all the protection and cover, I had never felt so vulnerable. I passed many curious villagers, I acknowledged their gossip, despite the fact it was muted by the windows. I felt like crying, but I couldn`t.

We could not open the windows, we could have pearls, we could have the finest champagne, we could have caviar (probably) and all with a blink of an eye, but no the windows could not be opened. I soon realized, this being my second car journey that I had motion sickness, violent, unpleasant and quite frankly unbearable urges to vomit.

I suffered in silence for so long; my sister was in the middle of a heated debate about the animal rights with our driver, who happened to own a pair of German Shepherds, when I finally cried out.

“I feel sick.” I said simply, as I felt myself becoming paler by the minute.

Al, I mean Athena, took one look at me and turned back to the driver, who was called either Bob or Rob and ordered him to stop the vehicle immediately.

I pushed the door open just in time, as I vomited. Let me inform you now that vomiting on an empty stomach, which is filled with only the gallons of water you drank the previous day, is a lot worse than when you have consumed a proper breakfast. Gosh I felt awful, like total crap. 

The worst part was when I finally looked up and realized I had vomited all over an already grotesque pair of yellow shoes attached to the body of a particularly boney woman. She was staring right at me; she looked surprised, but not angry in the slightest. Nevertheless, I could not stop apologizing as I struggled to get back in to the car, which I was still hanging out of very awkwardly with the seat belt still buckled tightly around me. Athena began to scowl and after a while she had, had enough. She chucked a few notes at the women and hauled me back into the car.

“You look awful,” she exclaimed loudly, as if this came as a shock to her.

“I always look awful, can't we get something to stop me vomiting.”

I was then handed a bright pink tablet and as I placed it on my tongue and then chewed on it as instructed, I felt as if I would surely vomit again, the flavour was repulsively sickly. The vehicle then departed from the little hamlet, just to drive past many other hamlets that were practically identical to it.

After a while the awful tablet kicked in and it wasn't too bad. I started to listen to music and once in a while I would hear a song by my favourite band, at moments like this I would just forget, for a while.

Asleep, I actually slept for a while, in a car. Mind you it was only for a short period, but now we had nearly reached our destination, according to Rob/Bob the village had minimal amount of human life forms, you could tell by the tone of his voice, that he himself did not understand my father’s decision. We appeared to be getting closer to the sea and further from the place we used to call home.

Passing more and more puzzled faces as it drew closer to the time we would usually eat. The temperature gradually increased in the stuffy, not exactly odorless car and my sister continued talking. We often changed directions, swerving and maneuvering around all the twists and turns of the roads and paths we traveled through. We were traveling slightly inland, through a deserted forest.

Did I mention my love for trees? They are not only beautiful, but provide shade and something called oxygen which I once heard my father mention. Anyway on a hot day shade is nice.

We then turned in to another village and then to yet another tiny village.

“This is your new home,” explained Bob/Rob the chauffeur, as we entered the village, passing even more shocked faces.

We passed a small shop, a few cottages and a farm. Then we stopped outside a  house, not a cottage, a house, much bigger than any of the other buildings, it looked just as old though. Unlike any of the other cottages, it wasn't on its own, it was right beside the farmhouse  I wondered what sort of people lived there.

I was then thrown a black cloak.

“You have to wear this.” Said Bob/Rob guy.

“Okay,” I replied, glad to be finally leaving the car.

I threw on the cloak, only to realize it was inside out, I struggled out of it, then put it back on, the correct way round this time, whilst Athena cackled. I was about to open the door when Bob/ Rob guy, shouted not to, this is driving me insane.

Bob/ Rob then left the car and approached a man wearing a woolly jumper with corduroy trousers, whom I assumed was to be our “guardian”. The first thing I noticed about this man was his eyes, he seemed so sad, so lonely (though aren't we all), I sensed he had lost a lot in life, not that that matters, much.

This charming individual then shook hands with Bob/Rob guy and then walked back to his own home, the farmhouse Bob/Rob returned to the vehicle.

He then tossed a rusty, bronze key to Athena.

“Once your heads are covered by the hoods on these rather expensive cloaks, you may leave the vehicle. I am not coming with you, but your father will be in contact. Goodbye and good luck.” Bob/Rob told us, almost sadly.

Athena was first to leave the car, I followed her lead, catching up with her within seconds. As soon as Bob/Robs head was turned she removed her hood, I reluctantly did the same. She turned the key, unlocking our door, as we entered our new home.

“So, what now?” I asked, still grasping one of my three suitcases.

“Now, I will try and forget the fact I have been engaged against my own free will, whilst trying to focus on the fact we are next door to a farm – yay. I couldn't care less what you're doing.” Athena snorted rudely.

She then disappeared upstairs, leaving her own cases on the door mat. I sighed, when it was just the two of us Athena dropped the act and acted like a total b*tch and that`s on a good day. I suppose I couldn't blame her, she is after all younger than me and her engagement probably came as more as a shock to her than mine did to me.

So I grabbed one suitcase at a time and lifted each one up the creaking wooden stairs into the room Athena was not inhabiting, it was small, but cozy and had a nice painting of the sea, hung on a nail upon the wall.

I stared out of the ridiculously large window that was situated right beside the ridiculously small bed. I could see right into the farmhouse or at least one of its bedrooms, it had a single bed in it and it immediately reminded me of my initial curiosity regarding the farmer.

I stopped staring into the farmhouse and quickly checked that there was socket for my CD player to be plugged into – priorities. I then unpacked all my CDs and of course my CD player, I bought every CD I had ever purchased with me, yet I left over half my clothes.

Next, I got changed into a baggy t-shirt and some tracksuit bottoms, turning the volume of the CD player right up, competing with the sound of some awful boy band squealing on about love, coming from Athena`s room. I lay on my bed trying to concentrate on the lyrics of one of my favourite songs, rather than the fact I felt so alone.

“I know how it ends, I know how it ends, I know how it all ends, I know how it ends.”* I sang, despite the fact I most definitely did not know how it would end, it had barely even started. Even if I did know how it ended, I would never had believed it and there would be no story.

As the album I was listening to ended, I was about to change the CD, when I heard a loud knock at the door. I half expected someone to answer it and then I remembered where I was. I quickly checked I looked okay in the mirror and attempted to tackle the stairs a little more quietly. I felt safer about opening the door than I probably should have, I was lucky they meant me no harm. I struggled unlocking the door and once it was opened I was focused by two males and a female about my own age, they were nervously staring at me – I had never seen them in my life.

The boy in the front seemed a lot more confident than the others; it was as if it was all his idea. As for his appearance he looked quite tanned and muscular, aka my sisters definition of hot. He was fairly tall, slightly taller than me. He seemed so sure of himself and of everything else around, there must be more to a person than that.

Then there was the girl, she seemed like the type who pretend not to realize that they're beautiful, complain about their weight, moan about their lives and make you average sized, okay slightly overweight girl feel as if she is absolute rubbish. I looked down at what she was wearing, the strange thing was that unlike most girls like that she was completely covered up head to toe in black, this only emphasized how awful I looked compared to someone like her. Although I am not normally this conscious of my weight, I would definitely avoid sitting near somebody that thin, she would make me look enormous. Doubt she could eat much ice cream, if any at all. Skinny doesn't mean happy or even healthy. Oh gosh I am being such a judgmental cow, maybe this had something to do with the fact she had her arm round the final male in the group, he was at least twice her height.

The final male was very tall, I mean I am tall, but he was so much taller than me. He had these gorgeous dark green eyes and lots of ginger hair sprouting madly from his head, he was not muscular, but he wasn't large or thin either, I had never seen anyone who looked anything like him. I felt something as I saw him; maybe I just knew he was going to be important, maybe I knew he was different.

We stood in silence for a moment or two, they stared at me and I suppose I stared back. The only female seemed to tighten her grip on the taller male, he seemed to be staring at my t-shirt, I looked down it said “Weights”, I was angry for a moment hadn't he ever seen a girl who wasn't pristinely dressed, but then I entertained the possibility of him appreciating good music and smiled. The female was gazing at the ground and the shorter male looked me right in the eye as if he recognized me. For once it was me who broke the silence.

“Hello, I am Artemis Zeus and who may you be?” I asked, hopefully sounding confident than I felt.

The girl seemed shocked, or at least her mouth was wide open. The taller boy seemed confused at first, but then he returned to his previous expression as he continued to stare at me whilst grasping at the girls hand. The shorter boy seemed glad and relieved, why would he be relieved?

“I am Fred Green, I live next door,” said the shorter boy gesturing towards the farmhouse “this is my brother Felix and our friend Ella.” He was finished pointing towards the other male and the female.

Fred then offered me his tanned hand and I shook it, he seemed pleased with himself. The taller boy Felix (nice name by the way) whispered something to that Ella girl and she let out a high pitched giggle that made me want to gag. I raised an eyebrow, I was pretty sure the two of them were a couple.

“It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” I said mainly addressing Fred, I then hesitated, “would you like to come in?” I asked before I could chicken out.

“That would be lovely.” Replied Fred, he kissed my hand, whilst they began to follow me in.

As they all sat down in the living room or our living room, as this was our home now, I quickly opened the fridge and luckily it had been filled, as had all the cupboards – This wwasn'tso bad. I decided to offer them biscuits, Fred had one, Felix had two and to my surprise Ella had four, maybe, just maybe I had judged her too quickly.

“Nice biscuits, thanks.” Said Fred, he then whispered, “don't mind those two, they're just really shy around new people.”

“I am usually quite quiet, but then again I am only usually around my sister, so I do not feel the need to speak.” I whispered, over my shoulder I could see Felix and Ella chatting.

“So what’s it like being the daughter of such an important man?” He inquired as if he was interrogating me about a crime he already knew I had committed.

“Complicated, dangerous, frustrating and frankly rather boring, but I suppose that’s what life is like in general.” I replied.

“So true, anyways tell me something about you.”

“I like music – a lot”

“I have a feeling you're going to fit in here.” He laughed. Maybe he was right, I hoped he was right.

He then walked off, I don't know where to. I quickly fled to the kitchen, unable to control myself any longer, I burst into tears.

*Weights- Everything Everything, Man Alive                                                    

Millie May

#15 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I really enjoyed that chapter, it's really starting to come together now, was definitely less confusing. I'm still really curious about the world they live in but that's a good thing I'm betting.

I did notice this though:

The following morning I was awaken at such an early hour by my elder brother Alb Apollo.

On that line it should be awoken not awaken :)

There was also a double W in there further down x

I really can't wait to read more. Still looking forward to Fred's pov, you tease lol

Great job x

#16 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I really enjoyed that chapter, it's really starting to come together now, was definitely less confusing. I'm still really curious about the world they live in but that's a good thing I'm betting.

I did notice this though:

The following morning I was awaken at such an early hour by my elder brother Alb Apollo.

On that line it should be awoken not awaken :)

There was also a double W in there further down x

I really can't wait to read more. Still looking forward to Fred's pov, you tease lol

Great job x

Thanks, I'm glad you noticed that, as I probably wouldn't have, honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more considering how tired I was yesterday.

I'm going to be writing more of chapter three tonight, so hopefully there will be another update within the next two weeks. 

I'm really glad that this chapter was less confusing, because the last thing I want is for this entire story to be one massive confusion.

Hopefully Fred's POV lives up to your expectations.

Millie May

#17 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

I have no idea when I will be able to update, but in case your wondering I have both chapters three and four handwritten, so hopefully they are okayish. I really need to comment on Winters Warming soon.

Millie May

#18 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm looking forward to it :) I'm really living what you've written so far. Can I be cheeky and ask you to pm me when you update I don't always get notifications on my phone.

#19 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'm looking forward to it :) I'm really living what you've written so far. Can I be cheeky and ask you to pm me when you update I don't always get notifications on my phone.

Sure. Though I might take a little longer than planned to actually update, I've been really busy lately. 

#20 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Know how that feels its the same for me! Still it's something to look forward too :)

#21 Bushra_Siddiqui

Bushra_Siddiqui

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

You're a fantastic writer! :icon_biggrin:

#22 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Know how that feels its the same for me! Still it's something to look forward too :)

I really wish I wasn't so busy. I always look forward to reading your updates.

You're a fantastic writer! :icon_biggrin:

Thank you so much, I'm not that good at writing at all and all my English teachers hate me, but I'm so glad you think so. I'm really flattered considering the fact this is the first full length story I have ever attempted to write. Your fantastic at writing your fan fiction too, I can't wait for you to update, but I understand your busy. 

I will try to type some today, but it is going to take me ages to update. If you want me to update sooner I could post Chapter four first, it is a lot shorter, won't spoil the plot and is in diary format, if I post that first I could update tomorrow. What do you think? (Chapter Fours in Ella`s perspective by the way.)

Millie May

#23 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Chapter 4

Ella

Dear Diary,

I am not good enough, they have replaced me and they have rejected me. They know how little confidence I have, yet they force me into these awful situations, they do not understand me whatsoever.

You know I actually believed, for a while, that Felix did, that Felix understood me, but I was lying to myself. Maybe no one would ever understand me, especially if all I provide them with is lies. I cannot lie, they forced me to live this way, it’s all their fault, they don't care.

I could not be a good friend, because of them (my parents.) They are not good people and therefore I am no good. Felix is such a good person, I should be happy for him, but I don't like girls like her, I refuse to appreciate the spoilt brats of society.

How dare she enter this town just to dwell in self-pity? Even my parents recognize what tyrants her descendants were and what an idiot she will most probably be. My parents knew she was coming, they did not tell me, they still think of me as a mere child, yet for all they know I could by running wild.

I wish things were different, my parents would be caring village folk (rather than criminals), there would be no leaders but rules would still remain, unfortunately there is no time for utopian fantasies – even I must work.

Dear Diary,

The Zeus` are scum, but my parents are even worse, even more selfish, even more terrible and even more ignorant. They announced, all so casually, that we must leave, because of her.  She says that we will be found out, there is no we, only them and I. I am not the traitor, not the pretender, not the criminal; I am just the daughter, the unloved daughter.

I refuse to involve myself in their crimes, so they rely on me to maintain our appearance as an average family. They are paid to plot, I am paid to sew. I am not good at it at all, I find it so mindlessly dull and painful to bear, but I will not involve myself in their dealings with Mr. Lyre.

My parents expect me to go on the run with them, running away from justice is for the cowards and the guilty and I am neither. I am Ella Spearman and I am not afraid. I dismissed my parents` plans immediately and they just stared. I don't need them, I do not need anybody, them leaving will not affect me, I refuse to let it effect me.

I do not eat with them, I have my own money and I use it to buy food from the farm. I will take my supper to the beach.

Dear Diary,

I am eating on the deserted beach, nobody likes it here, nobody feels safe, there is nowhere I feel more at ease. Gulls squawk loudly as they circle my spot, obviously in hope of some leftovers, I almost felt sorry for them. I stare out to the horizon watching the tide come in, subsequently moving my belongings up onto a sharp rock.

For a while my only desire was to be among the waves, despite the cool weather which would remain all year. Then I began to recall my mother’s tales of realms with changes, changes called “seasons” and how beautiful they were supposed to be. I doubt anything could be as beautiful as these waves.

My mother then returned to my mind, we used to be so close and then she joined my father in serving Mr. Lyre and it all changed. Fred once told me that his own mother had once said that Mr. Lyre was the worst man to have ever walked upon this earth; my parents didn't seem to think so.

I suppose the fact my parents are complete and utter idiots has been established, but at least their lack of intelligence allows me freedom. The best thing they ever did was bring my grandmother to the village and she taught me a lot, I miss her so much, at least she has survived in the capital.

I suppose they only decided to teach me to read, write, add and subtract, because Mr. Zeus did not believe these skills necessary, nevertheless I am grateful. I write this diary, filling it with my thoughts, but unlike Felix I do not write fantasy, I do not write lies, no the best fantasy, the best lies are in those books, those books which we are forbidden from reading.  Books forbidden by both my parents and the leaders alike, books with descriptive passages about lovers, religion, science, rebellion, death and history. I will not write down on paper how I have come to have access to these texts, but at least the leaders acknowledge that knowledge is the ultimate power.

In my hand I grasp one of these books; it is one that speaks of a figure called “God”, a leader with power over people, a leader who made all. I could not believe - it must be fantasy. I rather read tales of lovers, at least that I understand.

Dear Diary,

I feel different, maybe it’s, because I know the pain and the blood will be coming soon and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I hate pain, it makes me feel out of control, but I hate the way I feel before the pain and the blood, it’s as if I am someone else.

This peculiar feeling may also have something to do with what I saw as I returned to apologize to Fred. Through the side window I saw how she gazed at Felix as tears dropped from her eyes, their arms round each other (and I thought I had little control over my emotions.) As Felix spoke they both began to smile in a way that could be described in a similar way to the passages in the forbidden books.

It was so peculiar; I almost suspected witchcraft, as an explanation to it all, the entire Zeus dynasty. Felix looks different with his arms around her, older, deeper and almost unsettling. It just didn't look right to me, it just didn't feel right.

don't like the way I saw this, it almost feels as if I have invaded their privacy, but another part of me believes that I should be able to know Felix’s secrets, his being my best friend, even though he know nothing of mine.

There’s nothing stranger than complete strangers hugging, but they looked as if they understood each other, Felix says no one will ever understand him.

It may be too early to say this, but this may change the way I think of Felix, though I don't know how. All I know is that I don't want Felix to change, how can he be improved?

If Felix changes everything my life is shaped around will change. If things change will it be worth staying? Will I have reason to stay?

If I stay, I will miss my parents, is a difference in views a worthwhile reason for staying? Will the authorities even consider allowing me to stay? Do I really need to think about this now? Gosh, I am so confused.

I am crying, it is so pathetic, yet so confusing, I will not be like the Zeus girl – I am strong. I must be strong; we must all be strong to survive. On this desolate beach they cannot see my tears; they cannot see my weaknesses and my moments that lack self-control, for they cannot see me. Such moments hardly ever occur.

That night young Ella wept on the beach. The following morning she discovered she had slept on the beach. She had only just begun to feel the changes that were occurring around her, she was a mere child no longer, she had to grow up. She had to learn to love and subsequently felt what it was like to be crushed, what a jolly tale!

Sorry, I will post Chapter 3, as soon as, I have typed it.            

Millie May

#24 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Just finished reading everything... Simply classic!

Poor Artemis, I pity her.

I love the whole Fred - Felix - Ella combination, it's very interesting.

And don't you think Ella's life is a mess?

PLEASE UPDATE SOON! I JUST CAN"T WAIT!

#25 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Just finished reading everything... Simply classic!

Poor Artemis, I pity her.

I love the whole Fred - Felix - Ella combination, it's very interesting.

And don't you think Ella's life is a mess?

PLEASE UPDATE SOON! I JUST CAN"T WAIT!

Thanks so much, I have been seriously considering giving up on this, so thanks for commenting I know how busy you are.

Yes, I feel sorry for all my characters, I really do torture them.

Ella`s life is really a mess, its funny she was the character I least connected with, but then I thought about it and I realised who she really liked......

I will update soon, but definitely not this week, I still have two science tests to revise for.

I am writing another story as well, but I won`t be posting that, so I may be writing less, I will try and alternate between the two.

Thank you so much for reading.

#26 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

:) Welcome!

And the story turns out more interesting when the charcters' life is unsatisfactory, I guess. Otherwise, it's just gonna be too boring.

#27 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

:) Welcome!

And the story turns out more interesting when the charcters' life is unsatisfactory, I guess. Otherwise, it's just gonna be too boring.

That's a good point. Out of my characters the twins probably have the easiest lives, at the moment at least. One question - would you rather I post a teaser from the next chapter or chapter five or just give you a few quick hints about what may happen soon in the story? I feel I should post something, but since I don't have my own laptop it's kind of hard. Anyway, sorry I can't update yet.

#28 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

A teaser would be cool, I guess... (That's my opinion!)

#29 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

A teaser would be cool, I guess... (That's my opinion!)

Okay, I'll post a teaser from chapter three tomorrow if all goes to plan. Sorry, I have been busy wasting all my spare time as per usual. I wrote some of Chapter Five yesterday after ages of having a block, I am currently worrying about rubbish, so I'll write a bit more later. Thanks for bearing with my chronic stupidity/ moodiness/ loneliness/ exhaustedness.

​Socks

#30 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Okay, I'll post a teaser from chapter three tomorrow if all goes to plan. Sorry, I have been busy wasting all my spare time as per usual. I wrote some of Chapter Five yesterday after ages of having a block, I am currently worrying about rubbish, so I'll write a bit more later. Thanks for bearing with my chronic stupidity/ moodiness/ loneliness/ exhaustedness.

​Socks

It's Ok! Take your time! :)

#31 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Posting this and only this, due to an obsession with a book.

My father on the other hand was asleep as usual; he is probably more peculiar than either Felix or I. Despite this he hadn`t shed a single tear, but believe me I had cried more than enough for all three of us. I could hear him breathe as I passed his room, heavy gasps from such a secretive man. As I passed his room I closed his door after it was forced open by a sudden draft. Then I turned as I passed my brothers room, the door was jammed shut.

I remember Felix once explained that he has a phobia of open doors and would feel much safer if his door could actually close properly, my brothers thought process is rather strange. I could just picture him behind that door, sitting behind that door, sitting alone, headphones on – the louder the sound, the more thinking he could get done. Come to think of it, regardless of his height, my brother looked rather like an elf.

I will post the whole chapter as soon as I can, it`s a rubbish chapter, but the ending is important, so thats okay. 

Sorry it`s a rubbish teaser, from a chapter full of total crap.

Socks

#32 KatieCakes

KatieCakes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I can't believe I've only just started reading this now - it's really good so far! I love your characters and I have to say, I really like their names. I'm a sucker for pretty names! :icon_biggrin:

#33 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I can't believe I've only just started reading this now - it's really good so far! I love your characters and I have to say, I really like their names. I'm a sucker for pretty names! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, the names of my characters were one of the few aspects of this that I actually planned properly, I'm glad you appreciate character named too. It's not really that good, but thank you for reading. This reminds me I really need to reply to ​GlimpseI will try and comment as soon as I can, the last chapter was so good. 

Socks 

#34 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, the names of my characters were one of the few aspects of this that I actually planned properly, I'm glad you appreciate character named too. It's not really that good, but thank you for reading. This reminds me I really need to reply to ​GlimpseI will try and comment as soon as I can, the last chapter was so good. 

Socks 

What's up with the "Socks" signature anyway? :) :P

Edited by Meg_Rulz, 07 December 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#35 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

What's up with the "Socks" signature anyway? :) :P

I just felt like it, due to my current obsession and continuous lack of socks.

#36 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

I just felt like it, due to my current obsession and continuous lack of socks.

:lol:  :D

#37 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

:lol:  :D

:icon_sunny: (That's for you Poorvi.)

I may post another teaser, Chapter 3 or Chapter 5?

I hope you guys somehow grow to love Felix as much as I do :love7: .

Don`t kill me for not updating, I am torturing myself more than you could ever torture me. :biting:

Here for you guys :m: .

(Sorry, I`m addicted to these since I neglected them for so long.)

Socks

#38 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

:P I'm for Chapter 3!

Oh wait! Isn't chapter 3 already posted?

PS Thanks for the rose! lol

#39 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

:P I'm for Chapter 3!

Oh wait! Isn't chapter 3 already posted?

PS Thanks for the rose! lol

I plan on posting chapter three tonight, otherwise I`ll post another teaser later today.

#40 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

I plan on posting chapter three tonight, otherwise I`ll post another teaser later today.

Okay then!

#41 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Chapter 3

Fred

"I, I know why

Because when I look in her eyes

I just see the sky

When I look in her eyes

Well I, just see the sky"

She Had The World- Pretty Odd-  Panic At The Disco

What is wrong with me? My father doesn`t shed a tear and neither does my brother, why am I any different? They say I am more like her, well I suppose I am, but I would never want to hurt another human being the way she hurt me.

Nobody saw it coming, they both seemed so happy. Nothing ever changed here; I only truly appreciated that once she was gone, change is an enemy of mine, as is sleep. I remember that day, so vividly, every night it is replayed in my mind and I ask why.

I stood beside my brother as we watched the rabbits play and my parents danced among the trees, smiles upon their faces, they seemed so in love. I wished one day I would feel that way about somebody, they would feel the same about me and we would be happy. It was all spoilt that day, my mother walked into the woods; it was as if she was in a trance, she disappeared out of sight, she did of course return that very evening. Then I woke up happily and bounced down stairs, only to find my brother and father staring at that note, the note that changed my life, why would she leave? What more could she want in life? What more could anyone desire from life?

You see although I have the numbers of at least a hundred girls on my phone, all I want to do is call my mother, except of course I can`t. It would be easier if I could just accept her decision like father did or forget about her like Felix did, I miss her though. She was the one who taught me to play the guitar, she told me stories about the terrible families who ran the land and she said I was special, I actually thought she meant it. Then she left and father lost himself in farming, whilst Felix lost himself, in well, himself. My subsequent decision was to somehow leave, go to the capital and find my mother, of course that was easier said than done. Then Felix and I found this place a couple of miles away and I decided to live, to pretend I was okay and try to have a good time. Where no one cares about love or loss, the past or the future – Where no one cares who you really are.

So naturally the night before she arrived I was out. With a tall blond on one side of me and a petite brunette on the other, they both reeked of alcohol and neither had any remarkable qualities. You must remember they were entwining themselves in my arms not the other way round. They kept giggling and twirling round in their tiny dresses, despite their difference in height they were both stick thin and almost disappeared as they turned around.

Every time I returned to this awful place I would see more and more like them, all the same, of no significance whatsoever. It was simple and it would never change, there would always be tons of girls who`s only desire would be to fit in, who needed to kiss a fairly attractive young male once in a while in order to feel real. I suppose there is also an endless supply of young males who feel that they need these females and when it came to it I was one of them.

So the blond, I think her name was either Stephanie or Chantelle it could have been either, continued to giggle, as the brunette, she may have been called Kelly, whispered into her ear. They continued to shake their behinds right in my face, it almost made me feel guilty or even disgusted by the fact that I would probably be locking lips with one of them by the end of the evening, if not both. Well at least it had never become more than kissing, yet. At least I knew where I stood with the giggling girls on the dance floor, unlike everything else in life this was all planned, a choreographed performance perfected by many, performed by the lonely and the self-absorbed.

The brunette had approached me and droned on about what felt like both her and her friends life stories in such a shrill high pitched voice that I had to step away to endure having this sudden conversation. She never did stop smiling and she never did ask me anything, she knew the choreography as well as I did and she had memorized the rules. We drank, we kissed and then we drank some more. Her friend had then wondered off with Rodger, a mate of mine who liked to do a lot more than just kiss, the poor girl.

By the time I left it was dark, very dark. This wasn't at all positive when you consider the fact my only means for transport was my father’s rusty, old, orange bicycle and the bar wasn't situated in the safest of areas. But somehow I returned in fairly good time and even Felix was still awake.

My father on the other hand was asleep as usual; he is probably more peculiar than either Felix or I. Despite this he hadn`t shed a single tear, but believe me I had cried more than enough for all three of us. I could hear him breathe as I passed his room, heavy gasps from such a secretive man. As I passed his room I closed his door after it was forced open by a sudden draft. Then I turned as I passed my brothers room, the door was jammed shut.

I remember Felix once explained that he has a phobia of open doors and would feel much safer if his door could actually close properly, my brothers thought process is rather strange. I could just picture him behind that door, sitting behind that door, sitting alone, headphones on – the louder the sound, the more thinking he could get done. Come to think of it, regardless of his height, my brother looked rather like an elf.

After passing Felix’s room I turned to the bathroom, but came to a halt once I set my eyes on the tub. The bathtub had never been cleaned, never even been rinsed out and you could tell just by looking at it. Felix never seemed to notice this and of course neither did my father, it was always my mother, she was the only one in this family whom processed any common sense whatsoever.  Was the bath really worth risking? I could wait till the morning; bathe in the sea if it came to it. Should I really risk the filthy tub?

All this drama over a bath, what was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking, by now I was feeling exhausted. I suppose you will want to know what came of all this drama and the answer to the serious question on all your lips, did Fredrick Green use the bathtub or not? Well without further ado I shall tell you so, the answer to this much exaggerated question is yes, yes I did use that terrible tub.

I ran the water for a while, even the tap was covered in thick layers of dust not to mention the rust that now covered my hands, this was simply disgusting. I then placed my hand into the water, it was stone cold. I ran it all out, but there was still scum, dust and just general filth all over the surface. So I ran downstairs and boiled pans and pans of water on our little, old stove. I poured it all in, removed my clothes are slowly lowered myself into the water.

This time, the second time I failed to check whether the temperature was reasonable. The heat of the water attacked every little area of my body, but after a while all I felt was numbness and it was great. I felt as if I had forgotten, that I was without both my sins and my memories, I should have probably savoured that moment a little longer.

Unfortunately it came to a point when even I could not withstand such heat and I found myself crawling out of the tub. As I dressed the cotton brushing against my skin irritated me, I could feel again, I was a mere mortal after all. Once I was clothed I flew back to my dark room and began to strum on my deep, blue guitar, I wasn't aware as my eyelids began to lower.

My eyes were open, my face was unmistakably moist and I could feel the weight of my guitar upon my lap. I drew the delicate, beige curtain and uncomfortably bright sunlight graced my skin, I could almost feel the freckles dotting my skin. I attempted to return to my delightful state of sleep, closing my eyes, pulling the covers over my head and sinking back into my trance. It almost worked, for a moment.

I ended up ripping the covers off my head, almost tearing them. I then rolled off the side of the bed and fell on the hard wooden floor. I lay there trying to avoid feeling for a few long moments. Then I stood up, I had a colossal headache.

The first thing I noticed as my eyes adjusted to the light was a bright yellow note lying on my desk, the ink was smudged, but it was undoubtedly my father’s neat scrawl, apart from the note at the end that was obviously Felix`s scribble-like handwriting. I should have been alarmed, but in this zombie-fied state I could barely focus on the present let alone the past and potentially the future.

I could barely take in the vagueness of the note, let alone the absurdness of its message. My father had never forbidden me from leaving the house, in fact it was usually the opposite, he would tell me to leave my room, to work, to stop being such a lazy swine. Unfortunately my father was one of those few peculiar individuals who were not who were not taken in by my charming act, since it came from her, my mother.

Typical Felix, summoning me to his room in the message, undoubtedly to analyze the note, Felix cannot function without over thinking every little action - I on the other hand am a creature of instinct. I am usually so hopelessly exhausted I cannot focus on anything at all, in a way this is some sort of defense mechanism, honestly I would rather not question it (creature of instinct remember.)

My conversation with Felix went the way most of our conversations usually do, he gasps out long descriptive sentences, in an almost patronizing way and I grunt out short phrases, almost logical responses and stare. I act like an idiot, because it`s not fair , Felix never worries, well not about anything worthwhile anyway. They think he`s something special, he`s just strange, he pretends just as much as I do.

I sat there thinking, right there on my cold hard bed, I pretend so much I don`t know what`s real. Now she`s gone I have nobody, my father clearly prefers my brother and Ella wouldn't be here if she didn't adore Felix, she practically drools in his presence. In a way it`s good, no one can leave me again, nobody can get close enough to hurt me. Everyone has their own interests at heart; they will inevitably betray you, hurt you and if you let them get close enough, destroy you.

I wrote all of this down in the way in the way one of the regular alcoholics from the awful place I visit at night told me to and ripped it to shreds, as if I would ever trust anyone enough to see that passage, without mystery I am nothing. I have nobody, I am nobody, I have nothing, I will never be more than nothing, I am nothing , I wrote.

Right on cue the doorbell rang, once, twice, maybe more. I almost fell as I made my way down the cool wooden stairs and leapt forward to unlock the almost rotten door.

It was Ella, standing outside the door; I could tell she had expected my brother. Her almond shaped eyes and her wavy brown hair made her one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen, why was she still so shy after all this time? I pulled her in the door and without saying a word she followed me upstairs. I forced open Felix`s door, he was asleep, how dare he sleep? I shook him, I giggled as I shook him and even Ella giggled at his stupid expression of shock.

Felix put on his genius act and Ella bought it, it was after all for her benefit. I criticized him, put him down, it was all for his own good. Ella then mentioned a car, yes a car and then I really began to listen, maybe I knew this would change things immensely.

Felix became so childishly excited and Ella just seemed to encourage him. (Why the heck would she do that?) He spent ages at his window; I had left long before anything had actually happened. Ella was eating again; females like her were resented by their kind just for being able to eat and still having a decent figure, ( I mean gosh what a crime?!)

I remember so vividly how the car came into view, as I returned to my brother’s room and the way the two cloaked figures left the vehicle. Those blond curls and that brown cloud of hair each escaping from its own hood – one of the most beautiful moments of my entire life.

I remember saying something about disobeying our father as I dragged the two of them in the direction of the empty house that the pair of mysterious figures had disappeared into.

How was I to know those two “mysterious figures” were Artemis and Athena Zeus? It was quite a shock and I couldn`t quite place Artemis as I saw her, I mean she didn`t exactly exude power, fame and riches standing in a doorway dressed as if she really didn`t care. She wasn`t beautiful, she could barely even pass for pretty, but there was something unforgettable, almost unforgivable about her looks, but I couldn`t for the life of me point out what it was.

Ella and Felix just stared rudely, but determined to show them up I acted charming. She didn`t just appreciate my charming act, she played along, as I introduced the others she seemed to instantly notice the closeness between Ella and Felix, whom were grasping on to each other awkwardly. I kissed her hand, which I noticed was covered in pen marks as she invited us in.

She seemed nervous and a little lost as she offered us biscuits, this was made worse by Felix and Ella`s constant whispering, I mean that was just disrespectful. Maybe the daughter of such an important man might have been the friend I was looking for, then again maybe not.

I politely made conversation with her, she seemed nice, but she obviously wasn`t used to speaking to strangers, how ironic it was that this creature was a figure of such importance. I asked her about her life she provided me with a list of adjectives. I asked her about herself, she mentioned a single obsession – music (maybe this friendship could have worked if I wasn`t such an idiot.) Shortly afterwards I left the room.

“The two of you are just disgustingly rude, whispering together as if you are lovers, in front of an already shy girl. You should be ashamed of the hypocrisy of your actions.” I spat angrily.

“I am sorry, I do not like speaking in the presence of a total stranger and would rather have stayed at home,” Ella said quietly as she left, at the time I did not understand why.

“Not everyone has your confidence Fred,” Felix replied sadly, “you should try to understand that,” he finished. He breathed deeply and was sweating a little. He then stepped in to the kitchen; I noted how rapidly his legs shook.

I sat alone for a while, I was tired. Change could only be bad? Nothing had ever changed for the better, not in my life. But I wanted to be friends with Artemis Zeus, I was sick of Felix and Ella, I was sick of the way I was alone, the way they looked at me. There was nobody to trust, nobody who I could tell, I needed somebody.

After a while I decided to see what was happening in the kitchen. Artemis was crying, her face was red, she looked so young, she still wasn`t beautiful, but there was still something about her that stood out. She was curled up against Felix and he had his arms wrapped around her, he seemed close to tears. They were so close together it was almost as if that was where they belonged.

Neither had noticed me, they were staring at each other as if they had known each other forever. I felt a sense of betrayal, why did everyone prefer him? I was the confident one, they would never have met without me, I worked so hard to understand people, to find ways to make them happy, but they all loved him.

I left the room, they still didn`t notice me, I darted into the hallway without thinking and there she was.

I remember she wore a bright red dress, her lips were painted pink and her golden curls were all pinned up, as her shining blue eyes bore in to me. There was silence, but it was not uncomfortable. I began to stare but her eyes acted as merely mirrors, of my soul, of the sky . We didn`t move, I was afraid to even blink. We didn`t touch, not yet.

I forgot for a moment about everything, everything but her. Then she was gone, I didn`t know whether it was a dream, I didn’t know whether she was real.

As I lay in bed that night I realized things had completely changed, both Felix and I had our secrets, only I knew his. Maybe things could change, I wrote as I fell asleep, for the first night I dreamt of her.

#42 Bushra_Siddiqui

Bushra_Siddiqui

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

Another well-written chapter, Millie. Gosh, I love the way you write. My writing sucks. Don't give up on writing your awesome stories!

#43 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Another well-written chapter, Millie. Gosh, I love the way you write. My writing sucks. Don't give up on writing your awesome stories!

Thanks so much, I don't love the way I write, I suck so badly at dialog it always seems so awkward and wordy. For the hundredth time your writing most definitely does not suck and we're similar age so we will both improve if we keep writing. Don't give up on your writing either, you're so talented. I need to write and that's what it comes down to at the moment. I am trying to update more regularly and I'm writing a lot, so that's good. Are you still up for the tag team ?

#44 Bushra_Siddiqui

Bushra_Siddiqui

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Thanks so much, I don't love the way I write, I suck so badly at dialog it always seems so awkward and wordy. For the hundredth time your writing most definitely does not suck and we're similar age so we will both improve if we keep writing. Don't give up on your writing either, you're so talented. I need to write and that's what it comes down to at the moment. I am trying to update more regularly and I'm writing a lot, so that's good. Are you still up for the tag team ?

Yes! I am up for the tag team. I don't have much to do in the hols, so I'll have something to do!

You're right. We will improve if we keep on writing.

My exams are finally over, so now I'm free!

#45 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yes! I am up for the tag team. I don't have much to do in the hols, so I'll have something to do!

You're right. We will improve if we keep on writing.

My exams are finally over, so now I'm free!

Yay, I have two and a half days left of school and then I will be free. But so this comment isn't completely off topic, do you want me to post a teaser from Chapter Five?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Story, Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users