• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

Welcome To Ask Meg about the Princess Diaries Movies!

:spinstar: PLEASE read the FAQ before you ask a question in the forum. This will save time and space.

:spinstar: PLEASE use the SEARCH BUTTON and the Princess Diaries forums FIRST.

:spinstar: PLEASE do not chat in this thread! This is for asking questions, and Meg will answer. If you would like to chat about the movies, go to the movie forum HERE

:spinstar: PLEASE be respectful if you answer a question in this forum!

:spinstar: And as always, PLEASE, adhere to the Meg Cabot Message Boards rules!

FREQUNETLY ASK QUESTIONS! (Psst! Read this before posting!):

:spinstar: Do you like the movies?
Yes, Meg enjoys the movies. THey are quite different from the books, but she enjoys them all the same.

:spinstar: Will there be a third movie?
No, all cast and crew have moved on from the project.

:spinstar: Have you met the cast?
Yes, Meg has met Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews.

Thanks for your attention!

Enjoy!

--Bookie

#2 _Anke_

_Anke_

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

hey,

are the movies based on the story?
or are these movies the two movies that are referred to in the books?
because mia says that in the first movie her grandmother is really nice en in the second movie she wasn't together with mischael anymore..

#3 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

^^^The first movie is loosely based on the first book, but they did make changes like Grandmere being nice and the second movie takes place like 8 years later or something and is just based on the characters and not any storyline Meg came up with. And yes, the movies Mia refers to in the books are the Disney movies that were made in real life. Does that help?

#4 _Anke_

_Anke_

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

^^^The first movie is loosely based on the first book, but they did make changes like Grandmere being nice and the second movie takes place like 8 years later or something and is just based on the characters and not any storyline Meg came up with. And yes, the movies Mia refers to in the books are the Disney movies that were made in real life. Does that help?

yes that helps thank you:)

#5 MermaidsRule:)

MermaidsRule:)

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

Why did they make Grandmere nice? Not that i have anything against Julie Andrews. I love her! just curious.

#6 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

^^^Probably because it was Julie Andrews, lol. Plus, they got rid of her dad who usually balances out Grandmere's meanness, so they couldn't have her be mean to Mia with no balance. They also couldn't keep the dad since that would cut down Julie's role.

#7 TheRomanceBookie

TheRomanceBookie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

In a few of the Princess Diaries books, Mia mentions that she saw the movies based on her life...and that they were completely wrong! Especially when she mentions "They made my Grandmother nice!" (this isn't a direct quote, but something extremely similar was said! :) ). Did Meg refer to the Disney movies made from the book??

#8 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

^^Yes, that's where those quotes come from. She is referring to the Disney movies.

#9 TheRomanceBookie

TheRomanceBookie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

^^Yes, that's where those quotes come from. She is referring to the Disney movies.

Oh I knew it! Thanks for letting me know :)

#10 HarryB

HarryB

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

I am a royal genealogist and historian. I work closely with a Princess that lives in America. We are very curious to ask Ms. Cabot of her original interests to write the "Princess Diaries" (2000). If you do not mind I would like to ask a few questions and see if she can answer them directly. Or, if possible, may you send me a private message as to how I might reach her?

1. Until her death in 1991, Princess Ileana of Romania (daughter of Queen Marie of Romania) was Mother Alexandra at her Monastery of the Transfiguration, Ellwood City, Pennsylvania USA. Did you ever meet her?

2. How did you come up with the name, "Genovia"? Do you realize it translates to "A Negative blood type" when spelled backwards?

3. Have you ever read any books by Lillian Hellman? "Pentimento"? or "Watch On The Rhine"? Had you ever seen the film "Julia" (1977), starring Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave and Meryl Streep (her first film debut).

4. What made you decide to choose San Francisco as the city for Genovia's Consulate?

5. Is there any historical significance to "The Princess Diaries"?

I have many other questions to ask, however, I wanted to see if I can make a connection here. I found no other way to communicate with Ms. Cabot to ask her directly.

Best Regards.

#11 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am a royal genealogist and historian. I work closely with a Princess that lives in America. We are very curious to ask Ms. Cabot of her original interests to write the "Princess Diaries" (2000). If you do not mind I would like to ask a few questions and see if she can answer them directly. Or, if possible, may you send me a private message as to how I might reach her?

1. Until her death in 1991, Princess Ileana of Romania (daughter of Queen Marie of Romania) was Mother Alexandra at her Monastery of the Transfiguration, Ellwood City, Pennsylvania USA. Did you ever meet her?

2. How did you come up with the name, "Genovia"? Do you realize it translates to "A Negative blood type" when spelled backwards?

3. Have you ever read any books by Lillian Hellman? "Pentimento"? or "Watch On The Rhine"? Had you ever seen the film "Julia" (1977), starring Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave and Meryl Streep (her first film debut).

4. What made you decide to choose San Francisco as the city for Genovia's Consulate?

5. Is there any historical significance to "The Princess Diaries"?

I have many other questions to ask, however, I wanted to see if I can make a connection here. I found no other way to communicate with Ms. Cabot to ask her directly.

Best Regards.

Hello! In answer to your questions:

1) I'm sorry, but I never had the pleasure of meeting Princess Ileana.

2) I came up with the name Genovia because it is a mix of the city of Geneva, Switzerland and the town of Monrovia, Indiana.

3) I have never read any books by Lilian Hellman or seen the film Julia.

4) I did not choose San Francisco for the fictional setting of Genovia's consulate. Genovia's fictional consulate is in New York City in the book series of the Princess Diaries, of which I am the author. Garry Marshall, who directed the films based on my books, chose to set the movies in San Francisco.

5) The Princess Diaries are fiction and not based on any historical event or person except for the fact that my mother began dating one of my teachers, causing me to wish I was actually adopted and the secret heir to a foreign throne. This however turned out not to be true.

Best of luck in your endeavors as a royal genealogist!

Meg Cabot

#12 HarryB

HarryB

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hello! In answer to your questions:

1) I'm sorry, but I never had the pleasure of meeting Princess Ileana.

2) I came up with the name Genovia because it is a mix of the city of Geneva, Switzerland and the town of Monrovia, Indiana.

3) I have never read any books by Lilian Hellman or seen the film Julia.

4) I did not choose San Francisco for the fictional setting of Genovia's consulate. Genovia's fictional consulate is in New York City in the book series of the Princess Diaries, of which I am the author. Garry Marshall, who directed the films based on my books, chose to set the movies in San Francisco.

5) The Princess Diaries are fiction and not based on any historical event or person except for the fact that my mother began dating one of my teachers, causing me to wish I was actually adopted and the secret heir to a foreign throne. This however turned out not to be true.

Best of luck in your endeavors as a royal genealogist!

Meg Cabot

Dear Ms. Cabot,

Thank you for your most expeditious reply!

Do svidania,

HBB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users