255 replies to this topic

#1 LitenFrida

LitenFrida

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hey everyone!

This is the place where you can discuss the various holidays that are coming up and how you celebrate them, your traditions etc.

Enjoy!

#2 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

Ooh, cool!

I'm going to New Jersey in America over the Xmas holidays. And I'll be on the aeroplane on my birthday [english time], but when I get there, it'll be the day before!

How cool is that? I meant the time change thingy?

Lol.

Love, Ami . . X

#3 reading rules

reading rules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

Ahh, that's really weird Ami. :)

I'm having a double Christmas day.

For the morning, I'll be at my Dad's parents house, and for the afternoon, I'll be at home, with my Mam's family.

:mgturtle: Catriona!

#4 *HONEY*

*HONEY*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

Wow that's cool. We split Christmas/New Year's over with my family. Christmas with Dad's since they live like an hour away, and New Year's with Mom's in another state.

Honestly, y'all, New Year's in Rio de Janeiro is the most beautiful experience ever. And exciting.

:)

What do y'all think you'll get for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwaanza?

-xx tephy

#5 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

My mom already put up the lights outside and all the Christmas decorations. I know that Christmas began early this years, BUT DAMN. A month before Christmas? *sigh* I can barely sleep at night. The lights from the roof or whatever fall RIGHT ACROSS my attic window. It sucks.

Not to mention that I have to make seventy five Christmas cards WITH the candy cane for all the people at school. Even the people I don't like and I've probably talked once to them. God. My mom and her 'holiday spirit'. lmao

#6 reading rules

reading rules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

Tephy: My Dad's parents live about two minutes walk away, so.. :P

Julia: Aaah, I wish we had our Chrismas lights up! We're putting them up on the 8th. Ah, I can't wait. And I get to put my granny's tree up aswell! Hehe, I love Christmas! :)

#7 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

What kind of Christmas tree do you usually put up? An artificial tree or a real one?

We got a real one for the first time this year. I love it.

#8 LitenFrida

LitenFrida

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

I'd love a real christmas tree, but I'm allergic and can't even be in the same room (or house) as a christmas tree, so we have an artificial one.

#9 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

It's always a fake one in my family. Funny how that works out. *scoffs*

But real trees are...real. They're like shabby and not full. They don't look good. Unless you got like really lucky.

#10 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

With fake trees you don't get that wonderful pine smell as you open your presents. I love that smell.

#11 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

Whatever happened to pine smelling home deoderizer spray thing. Personally, I think Febreeze works wonders.

#12 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

Our Christmas tree looks really good, actually. It's not perfect in structure like an artificial tree, but I personally think it looks so much better. And it is full--so much fuller than our old artificial one. I guess it depends on what kind of tree it is? I know ours is a Fraser Fir, or so it said on the tag.

I love the smell too.

#13 reading rules

reading rules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

We're getting a real tree...

#14 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Whatever happened to pine smelling home deoderizer spray thing. Personally, I think Febreeze works wonders.

There's nothing like the real thing.

And another thing about real trees, you get to go out and pick a new one every year instead of getting the same one all the time (all those who love to shop)

#15 BuzyBee

BuzyBee

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

We get a real tree, but don't put it up until less than a week before Christmas.

I work at a Garden Centre, though, so they give us a free tree as a Christmas present!

#16 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

For the morning, I'll be at my Dad's parents house, and for the afternoon, I'll be at home, with my Mam's family.

Lol. Yeah! I'm not going to be with my family over Christmas, so thats going to be weird.

I'm staying with my Auntie, uncle and their two FAB kids! I love them to bits, but it's my first b'day and Xmas without my family.

Wow that's cool. We split Christmas/New Year's over with my family. Christmas with Dad's since they live like an hour away, and New Year's with Mom's in another state.

Honestly, y'all, New Year's in Rio de Janeiro is the most beautiful experience ever. And exciting.

-xx tephy

Urm. I dont know what I'm getting. I've asked all my aunties to get me clothes, since I'm lacking warm clothes.

I think my Mum and Dad are either getting me an iPod Nano, or money to spend in America.

My mom already put up the lights outside and all the Christmas decorations. I know that Christmas began early this years, BUT DAMN. A month before Christmas? *sigh* I can barely sleep at night. The lights from the roof or whatever fall RIGHT ACROSS my attic window. It sucks.

Not to mention that I have to make seventy five Christmas cards WITH the candy cane for all the people at school. Even the people I don't like and I've probably talked once to them. God. My mom and her 'holiday spirit'. lmao

Hey, it can't be as bad as MY christmas crisis. [2 years of rubbish decorations]

Last year, we put the tree up on the 26th December. Seriously, what IS the point?

The year before, I put it up on my birthday... by myself. God. And then me and my brother had a fight [still on my birthday] about who gets what side of the tree [Lmao, it was soo lame] and the fight lasted until like, boxing day. Hehe.

What kind of Christmas tree do you usually put up? An artificial tree or a real one?

My dad doesn't "believe in Christmas trees". Whatever that means. Anyway, I persuaded him to buy one from Homebase about 2 years ago. This year will be the third year we'll have one :)

But, knowing my family, [and I'm the only one bothered to put it up], we probably wont have one. Ours is artificial.

Love, Ami . . X

#17 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

The year before, I put it up on my birthday... by myself. God. And then me and my brother had a fight [still on my birthday]about who gets what side of the tree [Lmao, it was soo lame] and the fight lasted until like, boxing day. Hehe.

lmao That is SO like my (20 yr old) brother and (8yr old) sister. They're always fighting over which side ti decorate. What usually winds up happening is those little decoration ball thingies crash to the ground. My sister starts crying because it was so 'pretty' and my brother gets upset and leaves the room. lmao It is the funniest thing. Personally, I just like sitting back, enjoying my holiday break, laughing at everyone. Everyone goes crazy around that time. My mom with cooking. My siblings with decorating and stuff and my dad. Well, he's calm about the whole thing like me.

This year I'm thinking of writing something for everyone. No matter how LAME that sounds. *sigh* I'm broke. I'd ask everyone for fifty dollars so I can buy their presents, but somehow that seems kinda wrong. :P

#18 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

My brother LOVES christmas lights and wants to cover every square inch of our yard and house with lights, meanwhile, my sister likes the candles in the window with wreaths on every window and other decorations inside. I'm neutral, but it is kinda funny how our backyard looked last year with trees covered with lights...

#19 nina.csi

nina.csi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Banned
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

I'll pass it at my grandmother's as usual. It's nice, even though she tries to scare me into believing in God. I understand that she's trying to save me from burning in hell and all, but it bothers me a bit.

Well. I hope to get money from my dad, considering he never knows what to get me and once, I ended up with this hideous skirt I couldn't exchange because he'd bought it over fifteen days before Christmas.

Nina xx

#20 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

I've kind of got the opposite. I spend the morning with my mom and the afternoon with my dad and steps.

Gracey :elmo:

#21 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

-xx tephy

We bought a tree and did Kwanzaa mats.
We go to my stepdads stepmom's brothers house on Christmas eve.

#22 Mediator17

Mediator17

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I'm crossing everything I can cross (fingers, eyes, toes, hair, arms, err... yeah) for a digital camera. And boots.
And maybe a sweater.

#23 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

I want money.

So I can buy myself a guitar that isn't jacked up and whose strings are cut out with scissors.

...and then a couple of Borders/ Barnes & Noble gift cards.

#24 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, my mom has been hounding me for what I want, and I'm like, "I don't want anything. Really."

Then she gets all mad.

:shrug:

Love,

#25 Musically Obsessed

Musically Obsessed

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Haha, mine would, too. ^

I really want Rock Band, but I think my mum already got me Guitar Hero III. Oh well. Annnd I want stuff from fredflare.com. :3

#26 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

Oh, I hate that. Just tell the woman what you want and quit torturing her, Gracey. Lmao

Me and my friend:
Me: "So what do you want for Christmas?"
Her: *shrug*
Me: "Er...What do you want?"
Her: "Nothing. I'm fine."
Me: *slowly* "What do you want?"
Her: "Jules, I don't want anything." *blink*
Me: "EVERYONE wants something. Just name the goddamn thing!"
Her: "Uh..."
Me: "GO ON."
Her: "Nothing, really."

It's the most frustrating thing ever.

#27 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

:mellow:

I really don't want anything in particuar, except this one skirt, which I already told her about.

Just give me money, geez.

Love,

#28 Mediator17

Mediator17

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

Oh shoot.

That reminded me of everybody I have to buy xmas presents for.

I think I may just resort to buying 50 half-pound bars of chocolate and handing 'em out.
>.<

#29 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

Do what I do, Mel. Just a card with a candy cane taped to it.

Tis easy.

#30 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

You know what I love? Those HUMONGOUSLY HUGE candy canes. Haha. I LOVE THOSE. I'll be licking it all day long :P Awesomeness.

#31 Hugs*&*Kisses

Hugs*&*Kisses

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

We always have a fake one = less mess :)

I really don't like that smell either.. but I'm just weird :blink:

Gahh.. Christmas Presents. I must get them. I only have something for my brother so far.

But I've decided to be all environmentally friendly and not give out Christmas cards this year. :)

Sorry to be a Scrooge, but I think they're a waste of paper that people look at once.

Joanne.xoxox

#32 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hello *waves*

Its Hannukah and ill be getting presents!!! Yay! and then il be getting xmas presents form all these other people...its awsome.

Though i dunno what il be getting sad.gif

They dont sell candycanes here in Goa...*shakes head sadly* I wish they did...i love candy canes....

Amber~CleverTurnip

#33 reading rules

reading rules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

I've kind of got the opposite. I spend the morning with my mom and the afternoon with my dad and steps.

Gracey

:) We can be opposite buddies. :)

#34 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

^:dances:

Opposite buddies!

Love,

#35 flutegirl

flutegirl

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Yay!
Anyway...
This year, all I'm asking is money for charity. But it seems all my family memebers want to get me somthing different.

#36 MCabotFan

MCabotFan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

I'm proud to say I have nearly all of my Christmas shopping done and much of it came from charities, so not only am I buying gifts, but donating money, too. I'm usually a procrastinator so I'm really excited! haha

#37 kgurlroxthiswurld

kgurlroxthiswurld

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

Our Christmas tree looks really good, actually. It's not perfect in structure like an artificial tree, but I personally think it looks so much better. And it is full--so much fuller than our old artificial one. I guess it depends on what kind of tree it is? I know ours is a Fraser Fir, or so it said on the tag.

I love the smell too.

We have a fake tree now, and it's actually reall sparse looking. For eight years we got a real tree, and those were always so pretty and full and gorgeous...and oh I miss the smell. I love it.

Oh, I hate that. Just tell the woman what you want and quit torturing her, Gracey. Lmao

Me and my friend:
Me: "So what do you want for Christmas?"
Her: *shrug*
Me: "Er...What do you want?"
Her: "Nothing. I'm fine."
Me: *slowly* "What do you want?"
Her: "Jules, I don't want anything." *blink*
Me: "EVERYONE wants something. Just name the goddamn thing!"
Her: "Uh..."
Me: "GO ON."
Her: "Nothing, really."

It's the most frustrating thing ever.

I KNOW.

I already have a gift for one of my friends, but that's because she's super easy to shop for (anything I like- she likes). The other is much more difficult.

Me: What do you want for Christmas?
Her: I don't know.
Me: Oh come on. You have to want SOMETHING that doesn't cost me alot.
Her: I don't know.
Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR *#&$%%ING CHRISTMAS?????

Okay, it didn't go THAT far. But still. You get the gist. I have no freakin' idea what to get her. I always tell my buds what I want. *coughHotTopicGiftCertificatecough*

My family isn't that big on decorating outside the house. There's a family down the street that goes ALL OUT though. They have a friggin SANTA CLAUS IN A BLOWUP AIRPLANE on their roof. I'm not even kidding. Plus a crapload of lights and decorations in their yard. On Halloween, THEY HAD A SMOKE MACHINE. That lady has way too much time on her hands.

Instead of focusing on the outside, we're just working on making the room with the tree in it festive. Mum's filled this china hutch with Santa dolls, angel figurines, fake snow, and lights. It's actually very pretty. And there's Christmas stuff forced onto practically every surface. including a Nut Cracker collection *snickers* that stares at me unnervingly. DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT. YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

-Kris

#38 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:53 PM

All of my friends are getting MCR merchandise.

#39 kgurlroxthiswurld

kgurlroxthiswurld

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

All of my friends are getting MCR merchandise.

Luckies.

*sidles up to you*

Aren't I your friend?

Forget the merchandise.

Just steal Gerard for me.

And...I'LL GRANT YOU THREE WISHES.

#40 aura s.

aura s.

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

I think you guys would love Christmas in my country.

It starts (of course) the day after Thanksgiving with shopping. Then it's all partys with lots of food and music. The food is great. Then finally Santa Claus gets here with the presents. New Years eve is full of fireworks and explotions. But its not over! Then the Reyes Magos (Holy Kings) come with more presents on January 6th. Still not over there's Octavitas that is eight days after Reyes Magos. Then some people celebrate "La Candelaria" when they burn their old natural Christmas trees. On February 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Religiously, there's the "Aguinaldo" masses before Christmas and "Gallo" mass on early Christmas. Protestants also have lots of special services.

Sally

#41 Clarity

Clarity

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

I'd love a real christmas tree, but I'm allergic and can't even be in the same room (or house) as a christmas tree, so we have an artificial one.

Ditto. I wish I could have a real Christmas tree too, but I'm also severely allergic. We've always had an artificial tree. Actually we have two. One in our dinning room with white lights and all gold and white glass ornaments. Then we have a bright, colorful tree in our living room with all the sentimental and homemade ornaments.

#42 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

Luckies.

*sidles up to you*

Aren't I your friend?

Forget the merchandise.

Just steal Gerard for me.

And...I'LL GRANT YOU THREE WISHES.

Sure...

I took this picture from my tree:
Posted Image

I'll have full pictures on Christmas.

My baby brother, Nathanael (4 months) is in love with the color of the tree and my friends house in Winterhaven.
Winterhaven is a neighborhood that decorates lavishly and sells hayride tickets. Only old people (and my friend) live there.

#43 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yay!
Anyway...
This year, all I'm asking is money for charity. But it seems all my family memebers want to get me somthing different.

O.M.G, that is so nice of you!

Zoyah :D

#44 Londy

Londy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

our Christmas Holiday traditions:

instead of a big Christmas tree, 3 little ones surrounding our Nativity (mind you, we are Orthodox Catholics, so we make sure our Christmas is very Catholic) and we don't bring out Baby Jesus until Christmas.

we attend Midnight Mass at Church which is absolutely beautiful, with the brilliant Choir and decorations.

On the 24th we only open 1 present, then on the 25th we open the rest

and either on the 24th or 25th we have our Christmas feast. after dinner a christmas movie usually (unless we all decide on a non-Christmas movie...like last year was Blazzin' Saddles)

and then the day after Christmas is the dreaded shopping day hell.

#45 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

I'll tell you one of our innumerable (sp?) christmas traditions. This is the one I really hate. Our parent's give us only three presents each in honor of the magi. Our "gold gift" is the thing we most want (So why aren't I getting an iPod). The "frankincence gift" is something to get closer to God with (bible, christian music etc.). And the "mhyrr gift" is something for our bodies (such as clothes, bikes etc.). That is our WORST tradition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users