• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Um, sorry for this question but, is a manuscript handwritten?

-Amy

#92 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

Um, sorry for this question but, is a manuscript handwritten?

-Amy

To send in to an agent/publisher it's typed.

#93 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Oh right, okay. Thanks.

-Amy

#94 bookworm12

bookworm12

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

I have a few questions that I have been thinking about for some time.

Okay, say you have to email your query letter because they don't except snail mail, what do you put in the "subject" section? I'm thinking not "hey"..."query"? Wouldn't that be obvious though since they have a totally different email just for queries? Maybe the book title? I"m not sure.

Also, for your query the third paragraph is the bio section. What do you put there if you really haven't done anything?

And the agent I'm looking at seems to like the idea of teen writers (as long as the writing can compare to other authors in the YA section), but its been said on here not to say your age. She posted this thing on her webpage that didn't give the queries exactly, but she went through about fifty of them, numbered them, and said what she didn't like or did like about them. A few that came up she said she liked the closeness of teens writing for teens, so they must have said something about that in their query letter.

And what if your writing a series? How do you fit that into your query? Are they going to be turned off by the idea of a series from a first time author?

Those are just a few questions, I'll probably think up more.
Hopefully they make sense, ha.

#95 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

I would just like to say, before you read my response that I know barely anything about publishers (:

Okay, say you have to email your query letter because they don't except snail mail, what do you put in the "subject" section? I'm thinking not "hey"..."query"? Wouldn't that be obvious though since they have a totally different email just for queries? Maybe the book title? I"m not sure.

Probably the book title.

Also, for your query the third paragraph is the bio section. What do you put there if you really haven't done anything?

Make. Yourself. Sound. Awesome. Make. Yourself. Sound. Like. You. Can. Write. Write your query like you would write your book, baby!

Like so:

I'm a relatively young author* with a passion for writing. I write because I chose too, not because I had to. No awards have been fortunate enough to come why way yet, but the majority of comments from unbiased readers have been extremely positive.

And the agent I'm looking at seems to like the idea of teen writers (as long as the writing can compare to other authors in the YA section), but its been said on here not to say your age. She posted this thing on her webpage that didn't give the queries exactly, but she went through about fifty of them, numbered them, and said what she didn't like or did like about them. A few that came up she said she liked the closeness of teens writing for teens, so they must have said something about that in their query letter.

*See above

And what if your writing a series? How do you fit that into your query? Are they going to be turned off by the idea of a series from a first time author?

Say something like...

Plans for a series are frying -
publishers like creativity, and I like this metaphor because it is similar to the word 'stewing' but with a twist - away in my mind, and I would be happy to tell you more if you are interested.

xox
char

#96 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

I'm a relatively young author* with a passion for writing. I write because I chose too, not because I have to. No awards have been fortunate enough to come why way yet, but the majority of comments from unbiased readers have been extremely positive.

xox
char

#97 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

Would you mind posting up the link to her website? I will :heartbeat: you hugely if you do!

xox
char

#98 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Those are just a few questions, I'll probably think up more.
Hopefully they make sense, ha.

www.agentquery.com. It owns. It tells you exactly how to set up a query. Click around a bit to find the one for emailing your query. I do know some things right now, though, after reading it.

For the subject, put QUERY: TITLE OF BOOK. Don't literally put TITLE OF BOOK, of course. x] But you definitely need the QUERY bit, and I'm almost positive it said put it in Caps.

Honestly, honestly, honestly, agents will be turned off by a series from a newbie author. I've heard a published author say that before. It's not impossible, though. Look at J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer.

That agent sounds awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users