July Book Club Selection - Size 12 and Ready to Rock

19 replies to this topic

#1 administrator

administrator

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Discuss Size 12 and Ready to Rock - available on July 10!

#2 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

YES! I cannot wait to discuss Heather and the hotness that is Cooper with others!!! :)

#3 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Reposting the awesome book trailer and lyrics to the song here. :)

Sugar Rush

Your love's the only workout that I need
Whenever I see you my heart skips a beat
Calorie counting, not my style
Rice cakes and Slim Fast only last a while

Whisper:
Baby you know I got a sweet tooth

Chorus:
Every time I see you I get a sugar rush
Your candy coating has got me floating
Gimme sugar rush
Don't put me on a diet
You've simply got to try it sugar rush

You were the boy next door
We played Candy Land
Now when I see you
I wanna hold your hand
I told my mom you're a really good friend
Don't worry about me
She knows I brush my teeth
But I still love my candy

Whisper:
Goody goody gum drop

Chorus:
Gimme sugar rush
Don't put me on a diet

I'm hearing bells ringing in my head
Is that the ice cream man?
Or is it just our favorite song
Playing on the Walkman

Rap:
Candy canes at the holidays
Jawbreakers, lollipops last all day
Jolly Rancher, Now or Laters
You're my favorite of all the flavors
Snickers, Milky Way, Reese's Cups
Hershey's Kisses I chew them up
Nothing satisfies or fills me up
Like my beautiful sugar rush

Chorus:
Gimme sugar rush
Don't put me on a diet

Sugar rush
Sugar rush
Sugar rush

Whisper:
Sugar rush

#4 Jesselover!

Jesselover!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I now have this song stuck in my head is there more videos like these on youtube??? i just thoughyt this video was ausome weird but...Ausome

#5 Jayalaw

Jayalaw

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just finished the book last night and this morning-- and I was impressed. After establishing Tania Trace as the reason why Heather and Jordan had a nasty breakup-- not helped by Jordan's jealous pursuit of Heather before getting married-- it was pleasant to see Tania as a three-dimensional person and not the mean teenager that we'd normally see as a target for murder.

That said, some things in this book were more troubling when Tania's past catches up to her and affects innocent people; I won't mention the scariest part, but it involves a teenage camper and a scarf.

Do you think we should try and design Heather's wedding dress? Meg says the next book is about Heather and Cooper's marriage, the first time her main character will have an on-page wedding, and it would be a fun project to practice drawing skills.

#6 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

I like the idea of designing Heather's wedding dress!

Learning about Tania Trace and her past made her a more sympathetic character. Before this book, in my mind she was just the hoochie that Heather caught Jordan with. I definitely like Tania more after having read Size 12 and Ready to Rock.

My favorite part of the book is the interaction between Cooper and Heather now that they're engaged. They're really cute together, and I love how sassy Heather is with Cooper now that he's her man. :P Cooper's twin sisters are a riot, and I can't wait to read more about them.

While this book still had the humor that I'm used to from the Heather Wells series, I also appreciated the more serious topics that were explored.

#7 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I loved the book, but honestly I wasn't a fan of how much Heather was interacting with Tania. While I understand and liked that the character was more dimensional, I just feel like that Heather would've been a little colder towards her and not so...well, so nice. Tania ruined a ten year relationship and even though Heather is over Jordan, I would still think she wouldn't like her very much and would've been a little less than keen to helping her. Plus, even if Tania is a better singer than Heather, I don't think Heather would so readily admit it. Sorry, I'm nitpicking on this one aspect of the book, but it really was my biggest issue in what was otherwise a wonderful book. I have to mention i love the setup. The whole Cupcake Wars poison cupcake scene made me laugh even though it shouldn't. Also, I loved Heather and Cooper's relationship throughout the book. They really are perfect together and it's nice to see that they still have that chemistry even though they're now together. And the end scene...oh......that was perfect. Just perfect. And Heather's ring reminds me of Kate Middleton's a bit or at least that's how I imagine it in my mind. The only bad thing about Cooper is his family, that song his sister kept singing...um, that sort of disgusted me a little bit. Okay, a lot.

M :)

#8 Jayalaw

Jayalaw

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, but Heather's happier now that she has Cooper. The dinner scene with the Cartwrights was surreal, though, given how Cooper's dad gave Heather the cold shoulder before and yet behaves civilly. I expected some of Heather's backstory to pop up, but dinner remained peaceful for the most part.

Should Heather wear black for her wedding, ivory, or plain white?

#9 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, but Heather's happier now that she has Cooper. The dinner scene with the Cartwrights was surreal, though, given how Cooper's dad gave Heather the cold shoulder before and yet behaves civilly. I expected some of Heather's backstory to pop up, but dinner remained peaceful for the most part.

Should Heather wear black for her wedding, ivory, or plain white?

I see your point. But I have seen people who have moved on from their ex who are still weary of their ex's mistresses and rightfully so. Heather was with Jordan for ten years. Even though she is over him now, he as a big part of her life and Tania was the one to ruin that relationship. There should be some residual feelings there. Sort of how Jordan, even though he's in love and married to Tania now, kind of feels a bit weary about Heather being with Cooper. And okay while I loved the infertility plot, I thought it was a neat twist to address such a heavy issue in this book, I am secretly mourning the lost of Heather and Cooper's kids because they would've been so gosh darn cute. But honestly, I'm okay with them not having kids especially with the way with how the book ended. I mean, did I mention that I really, really love Cooper. Oh, and I think Heather should wear ivory to her wedding one of those pretty tea length dresses.

#10 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think because Heather is in such a great place in her life with regards to her relationship with Cooper that it made it believable that she wasn't more bitter towards Tania. Sure, Heather and Jordan were in a relationship for a long time, but I think with 20/20 hindsight and being in a committed, mature relationship with Cooper, she realizes what a farce of a relationship she had with Jordan.

Also, from the beginning of the book, Tania was so freaked out and unlike herself that I think that made Heather see her in a different light--not just as the girl who "stole" Jordan, but a vulnerable young woman going through some tough problems.

I love Cooper's twin sisters and can't wait to read more about them. I thought the period song was hilarious and couldn't stop reading over the lyrics. Maybe I'm childish, but I really got a kick out of it.

#11 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think because Heather is in such a great place in her life with regards to her relationship with Cooper that it made it believable that she wasn't more bitter towards Tania. Sure, Heather and Jordan were in a relationship for a long time, but I think with 20/20 hindsight and being in a committed, mature relationship with Cooper, she realizes what a farce of a relationship she had with Jordan.

Also, from the beginning of the book, Tania was so freaked out and unlike herself that I think that made Heather see her in a different light--not just as the girl who "stole" Jordan, but a vulnerable young woman going through some tough problems.

I love Cooper's twin sisters and can't wait to read more about them. I thought the period song was hilarious and couldn't stop reading over the lyrics. Maybe I'm childish, but I really got a kick out of it.

Yeah, I get that. But once again, I still think there would be a little bit of coldness there. Anyway, Heather is a bigger person than I am that's all I'm saying. And I love her for that. I did start liking Tania better at the end of the book.

LOL, Diana it's okay I still think you're very mature . I can see why some people would like the song and I do want to know what happens with Cooper's sisters. I just get very squeamish when it comes to things like that. I blame Fifty Shades of Gray that and Cherokee tampons .

#12 Jayalaw

Jayalaw

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, I get that. But once again, I still think there would be a little bit of coldness there. Anyway, Heather is a bigger person than I am that's all I'm saying. And I love her for that. I did start liking Tania better at the end of the book.

LOL, Diana it's okay I still think you're very mature . I can see why some people would like the song and I do want to know what happens with Cooper's sisters. I just get very squeamish when it comes to things like that. I blame Fifty Shades of Gray that and Cherokee tampons .

Maybe it's also that Tania's pregnant . . . there was a Dear Abby column showing that people are instinctively protective of pregnant women, no matter what the gender. The odder thing was that Tania months ago didn't want Heather invited to her wedding, only to request her and Cooper as bodyguard and detective lady respectively.

#13 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I really like the new residence hall director, Heather's new boss. Hope to see more of her in the next book.

#14 Jayalaw

Jayalaw

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I agree; Lisa was a necessary breath of fresh air and a bone to throw to Heather after her string of bad, promoted, or dead bosses. I hope she doesn't disappear in any future book!

#15 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Lisa was probably my favorite new character that Meg introduced. I hope she's in the series for the long haul. Plus, who was happy to see Tom again. I know I was.

by the way, one thing I wondered was what happened to Heather's dad? I really wanted to see his reaction to Heather and Cooper being together.

Plus, who wants to see Heather's songs get bought or something?

#16 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I was hoping that Heather's dad would make an appearance in Size 12 and Ready to Rock. It was nice that he and Heather had reconnected in the previous book. Maybe he'll show up in Size 12 is the New Black. I can't wait to meet Heather's mom. What will their first time seeing each other after so long be like, especially since she ran away with the man who stole Heather's money? Pretty explosive stuff, I think.

I would love it if Heather found the confidence to perform her own songs in front of an audience. I can totally see Cooper in the audience cheering Heather on. Gosh darn it, he's so dreamy. :)

#17 Jayalaw

Jayalaw

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Heather's mom won't be coming for a good reason. Double or nothing she's going to try and turn Heather's wedding into a paparrazzi blitz, in the middle of a murder mystery.
I think Dad would approve of Heather and Cooper, given that he moved out to give the two of them much-needed space. I hope he can hold off Heather's mom in the middle of the nuptials.

#18 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Okay, this is a huge assumption but what if Heather's mom ends up being the victim or something. It would be a huge twist and it would be something interesting for Meg to explore-Heather being close to the victim.

I've always hoped that there would be a Karaoke night or something in one of these books for some reason. I think it would be hilarious. Maybe at Heather's bachelorette party or is this too wishful thinking on my part...

#19 starlightdreamer052000

starlightdreamer052000

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I have to admit just the fact little mermaid was mentioned made me in love with this series which is kind of hard to do. Though I have to say whilst I think a campus wide paintball hunt would be fun. We've only done a campus wide hide and seak at my uni. Im a little sad we didnt have painballs now. But I upset me dearly that there was painball guns in the library. But as usal brillaint book.

#20 lmnt

lmnt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

Loved the dialogue between heather and cooper! so happy they are together now and the ending was swoon worthy. at first i didn't like heather being so nice to tania, but after her story was explained i feel like i now understand her better. And after that end I guess they will be like forever tied through the cartwrights anyway! Also love Cooper's sisters, I laughed so hard during the dinner scene!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users