Brilliant by Rachel Vail - Let Us Discuss

29 replies to this topic

#1 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hello Out There in Meg Cabot Book Club Land!

Wow, I really loved this month's selection, which I just finished today with great relish (the "pleasurable anticipation of" kind, not the "pickled hot dog food item" kind).

I will post more later about my deepest thoughts (and they ARE deep) about this book. But for now, let me get this discussion started by quoting a most delectable passage (at least from the early-ish part of the book):

"It has always felt like [Oliver] could see right through, like he wasn't fooled, though he was maybe amused. It's that, I think, that makes him so irresistible to me. Not just how his butt looks in jeans, no matter what my crass sisters say, too loudly after he leaves our house after lessons. It's just that it feels like he sees who I really am when he looks into my eyes."

Ah! Love it.

What do you guys think so far?
http://tinyurl.com/3kqnu9j

#2 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

This is the first book by Rachel Vail that I've ever read, and I really enjoyed it. I was afraid I wouldn't finish it in time for the discussion, but I started it yesterday and read like a mad woman until I finished it before bed. I wish I'd had time to read the first two books in the trilogy before Brilliant. I'm one of those people who usually likes to read books in order in a series.

Oliver! I have mixed feelings about this fellow. I was digging him up until he showed up at the party with Adriana's sister (whom we find out later likes girls, but still). Then I was even more annoyed when he showed up at his and Quinn's date/non-date with Cassandra and another couple. I was like, "Really, Oliver?!" Later when he was apologizing to Quinn about his behavior, I thought he was so pretentious. I'm glad Quinn spoke her mind and basically told him she was done worshipping and pining over him. You go, girl! He did redeem himself some at the end, but I'm still a little peeved at him.

I thought Quinn was a likable character, and I enjoyed her interaction with her family, especially her two younger sisters. Her feelings about being the good girl, the reliable one, the role model were relatable. I think the need to please is something we've all experienced, and I feel that girls and women are especially susceptible to these feelings. It wasn't surprising that Quinn started questioning her status as a good girl and displayed rebellious behavior. That was pretty realistic. Her last act of rebellion in the book was pretty epic, and I'm glad she came to her senses and got out of the car when she did.

Her mixed feelings towards her mother were also something that I could relate to. Who hasn't had problems with their mother, especially as a teenager? I liked that this book dealt with this topic in a realistic way. Even though sometimes Quinn thought that she and her mother were so different, it was interesting to see that in some ways, they were more similar than not. Parents sometimes seem larger than life and when we realize how flawed and imperfect they are, that can be unsettling.

On a less serious note, I really liked Quinn and Jelly's friendship. I thought it was pretty funny when they were debating whether to watch a West Wing marathon or play Pictionary at Ziva's going away party. Ah, I love nerds! I'm one myself, so their excitement over nerdy things was something that I got a laugh out of.

#3 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

OK, I FINALLY caught up with all my copy-edits on Overbite and allowed myself to start reading this book . . . then voraciously consumed it in one sitting (which was a problem because I was in the pool. Then the sun went away and it got chilly but I didn't care! I just moved to the hot tub because I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! I was totally pruny by the time I was done).

But I literally could not put it down . . . especially when Quinn stopped acting like a "good girl" and started being "bad."

Brilliant by Rachel Vail

Posted Image

And she was so very very bad!!! How many boys did she make out with in this book? I counted at least three!

And I loved every minute of it.

Brilliant is just that...Brilliant! I was dog-earring pages because there were lines in it I loved so much. I could so relate to Quinn and her feeling that she is just "faking it" to fit in with whoever (whomever? sorry, writing too fast to check!) she's with because if she revealed how she truly felt, feelings would get hurt or something "bad" might happen.

And it made sense with the whole Cinderella aspect of the story (Quinn steals her mother's fancy new shoes because she's so angry with her brilliant mom for doing something not so brilliant) . . . .

. . . only there was no fairy godmother or handsome prince to save her and make everything all right in the end. Quinn had to save herself!

(And not to give away spoilers, but in the end, she did save herself. But not without making a huge mess out of things. But I even loved Quinn's mess, and how she had to make amends to everyone!)

I was mad at her family though, and the way they just kept expecting her to hold it together because she always had and they've always been able to depend on her. They didn't even notice when she was sick in bed with a fever!

Maybe that's what made it especially great when she imploded (or, to quote her sister Allison, when she went "a bit sleazy").

Brilliant's definitely my new favorite book by Rachel Vail, and that's saying a lot, because I've loved so many of her books (before it was a tie between You, Maybe and If We Kiss). But now I don't know.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks! (And to type in my favorite quotes. Some of them involve Oliver.) YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK.

#4 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

I was mad at her family though, and the way they just kept expecting her to hold it together because she always had and they've always been able to depend on her. They didn't even notice when she was sick in bed with a fever!

Maybe that's what made it especially great when she imploded (or, to quote her sister Allison, when she went "a bit sleazy").

That part was sad--when Quinn's family just brushed it aside that she was sick. I know when I'm sick I'm extra emotional and act like a total baby, and if my family had just ignored the fact that I was sick or acted like it was no big deal, I'd be really upset.

It was bound to happen that Quinn would implode and behave in a "sleazy" way. I actually didn't think she was that sleazy (okay, that whole kissing-her-sister's-boyfriend-even-though-at-the-time-they-were-broken-up thing was messed up), but it was funny that her sister called it that. Having all those pent-up feelings and trying to live up to others' expectations would make anyone crazy. It was a wonder that Quinn kept it together for as long as she did.

Meg, I think you liked Oliver more than I did. Yes, he was going through his own issues as well, and in some ways, he really understood Quinn on a deeper level, but I really wanted to give him a good shake at times.

#5 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Here's my review from when I read it last July. I got a signed hardcover at Book Expo America so I got to meet Rachel and she was so sweet!

I love how Rachel Vail did this trilogy; you get the same situation with different events in each book as it's told from each sister. There's the same family situation told over several months, I think. The timeline was a bit confusing for me as I thought it was going to be the same period of time told through each sister's perspective.

But aside from that, it's interesting to see how each sister views the other two, then to read how the outer appearance is different from the inner. In this one, Quinn is seen as the perfect oldest sister but reading from her point of view, you see that she's way more than that and wants to break out of the mold. It sounds cliche, but Vail makes it more complex and realistic. To me, it's just fantastic how she crafts each character, especially the sisters.

The book flew by for me because it was so interesting. The prose was full of humor, romance, reflective moments, and heated arguments. This trilogy is wonderful for those who love realistic fiction, which can be a bit hard to find these days.

For those who've only read this book, please go back and also read Lucky and Gorgeous, the companion novels to this, if you're able. They're so good as well (and also have beautiful covers) as are all of Rachel's books.

#6 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:37 PM

For those who've only read this book, please go back and also read Lucky and Gorgeous, the companion novels to this, if you're able. They're so good as well (and also have beautiful covers) as are all of Rachel's books.

I so plan to go back and read the first two books and reread Brilliant. I still wish I'd had more time so that I could have read the first two books before starting Brilliant. I don't like to read books in a series out of order.

I agree with you that the book covers are gorgeous. The shoes on the cover of Brilliant are lovely, and I loved the description of all the beautiful shoes in Quinn's mother's closet. So jealous of her shoe collection!

#7 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I so plan to go back and read the first two books and reread Brilliant. I still wish I'd had more time so that I could have read the first two books before starting Brilliant. I don't like to read books in a series out of order.

I agree with you that the book covers are gorgeous. The shoes on the cover of Brilliant are lovely, and I loved the description of all the beautiful shoes in Quinn's mother's closet. So jealous of her shoe collection!

I love the end of Brilliant.
Spoiler

#8 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

Diana- The good thing about this series is that they don't need to be read in order necessarily. It probably does help a bit, but it's different perspectives of the same events. They're more companion novels than anything else. But they're all amazing.

#9 MegCabot

MegCabot

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

Diana- The good thing about this series is that they don't need to be read in order necessarily. It probably does help a bit, but it's different perspectives of the same events. They're more companion novels than anything else. But they're all amazing.

You know, I actually couldn't remember exactly what happened in the other two books except that the devil was in them (right, Boothy? But the devil wasn't in this one at all! Which I thought was great because it was like Quinn exorcised all the demons out of the house) and the mom did something bad (fully explained in Brilliant) that was causing them to lose everything (because she was being indicted/losing her finance job).

But you're right that you don't need to read them in order to enjoy Brilliant. It stands on its own "brilliantly." Lucky and Gorgeous are just really fun books on their own (for instance, to read on vacation at the pool)!

But I thought Quinn's pain over what was happening to the family and her hurt at what her mom did made it the most poignant, maybe because she's the oldest and had always tried the hardest to be perfect.

Oh...wait...Boothy! Which one had the boy who collected screwdrivers (I am not saying why. You have to read the book. IT IS THE BEST REASON EVER. You will cry when you find out why)? Was that Gorgeous or Lucky? He is totally one of my top 5 favorite YA boyfriends of all time. We have to get Rachel over here so we can ask. I may like him better than Oliver.

#10 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

This screwdriver dude sounds intriguing, whoever he is.

#11 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Meg- Yeah, the devil was in Gorgeous and I think he went away at the end of that. I also feel like Brilliant took place a bit after the events in Lucky and Gorgeous.

But I cannot remember Screwdriver Guy; now I want to go re-read the first two and see who he is, lol. If he's a boyfriend though, maybe it was Lucky? It's been WAY too long since I read them. I read Lucky in 2008 when it came out and Gorgeous in Jan 2010, then Brilliant last year as well after BEA in May.

Can't wait for Rachel to come by!

#12 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

In Brilliant, it's mentioned that Phoebe's boyfriend is Luke. Is he the screwdriver guy? I'm assuming Allison's boyfriend Tyler is not the screwdriver dude, but since I haven't read Lucky or Gorgeous, I could be totally wrong.

#13 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Here are some questions for Rachel.

1. What inspired you to write three books about sisters? Do you have sisters or brothers whom you are close to, and did you draw from your experiences growing up with them to write this trilogy?

2. Which of the three Avery sisters do you identify with the most and why?

3. Even though Oliver bugged me at times, I'm glad he and Quinn had the ending that they did. I'm a sucker for happy endings after all. What do you think the two of them are up to at this moment? Is Quinn still in high school? Is Oliver back at school studying music?

#14 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hi!

I promise to come back later today and answer your questions (or question your answers?) and chat, etc.

First I have to finish revising my current book and then SEND IT IN. And then maybe do a little yoga because I am a cramp.

But then I will be back.

So: ask away!

Or, answer:

How was your week? Did you celebrate anything? Do you prefer holidays or regular days? Do you have a favorite/least favorite season?

I am starting to think my least favorite season is early spring. I keep expecting warmth and flowers and ending up with freezing cold toes and chilly rain. But, yeah, may flowers. So, trying to be patient. Not my strong suit. Do you have a strong suit?

Should I cut my hair?

Any good movies out there?

Book recommendations?

Back soon...

Love,
Rachel Vail

#15 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

Rachel, welcome to the message board and good luck with your revision!

So far, my week is going well. I'm currently on spring break from work, so that's pretty nice. I have 24 days left of work before summer vacation. Yes, I've already started my countdown. ;)

I don't celebrate Easter. I prefer holidays if it means that I get time off from work. My favorite season is summer. My least favorite season is winter. I am a total wimp when it comes to cold weather, and where I live it doesn't usually get that cold. One of my strong suits is that I'm dedicated and loyal to things and people that/whom I like.

Yes, you should cut your hair. Speaking of cutting hair, I need to as well. Haven't had a haircut in over a year, I think. It's getting ridiculously long.

I saw Jane Eyre in the theater yesterday and highly recommend it, especially if you're a Jane Eyre fan. Even if you're not, the two lead actors were wonderful and had sizzling chemistry. Yowza!

If you like contemporary romances or would like to give them a try, I recommend checking out books by Kristan Higgins, Jill Shalvis, Julie James, and Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

#16 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

DianaSF: Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely have to check those out...

I want to write more, but I think the day has just caught up with me. I am crashing. I will come back tomorrow! Have a great night everybody!

#17 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

So -- did you figure out yet who is the "screwdriver guy"????

Smiley faces for whoever posts the right answer...

#18 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Saw Jane Eyre today. Liked it but didn't love it -- though I do keep thinking about it... Also read CLEOPATRA by Stacy Schiff, which I also didn't like as much as I wanted to. Maybe it's me?

Anybody else? See or read anything great or middling lately?

#19 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've only read Brilliant, so I still have no idea who the "screwdriver guy" is. Is it Phoebe's boyfriend? Just a random guess.

I really liked the actor who played Rochester, Michael Fassbender. He was easy on the eyes, and I found his moody and brooding ways very appealing. :)

Exhibit A: http://i53.tinypic.com/2lsh4sn.jpg

I'm always trying to get other people to watch the TV show Friday Night Lights, so that's my recommendation for the day. I recently watched all 13 episodes of the last season in one day, and it was GREAT! If someone had told me in the past that I would be obsessed with a show about a man who coaches high school football in a small Texas town and the other people who live in that town, I would've laughed in their face, but it's THAT GOOD!!!

Rachel, if you have time, here are a few questions for you:

1. What inspired you to write three books about sisters? Do you have sisters or brothers whom you are close to, and did you draw from your experiences growing up with them to write this trilogy?

2. Which of the three Avery sisters do you identify with the most and why?

3. Even though Oliver bugged me at times, I'm glad he and Quinn had the ending that they did. I'm a sucker for happy endings after all. What do you think the two of them are up to at this moment? Is Quinn still in high school? Is Oliver back at school studying music?

#20 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

Screwdriver guy is NOT Phoebe's boyfriend.

And I LOVE Friday Night Lights. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I am a bit evangelical about it, too.

Not just because my husband looks like Coach Eric Taylor.

Answers to your good questions tomorrow...

#21 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

Screwdriver guy is NOT Phoebe's boyfriend.

And I LOVE Friday Night Lights. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I am a bit evangelical about it, too.

Not just because my husband looks like Coach Eric Taylor.

Answers to your good questions tomorrow...

Um, your husband looks like Coach Eric Taylor?!?! Jealous! He has the loveliest eyes and the cutest hair. I read something once where the writer said she couldn't decide if she wanted Coach Taylor to be her husband or dad. I totally understand her conundrum. He is a great husband AND a great dad. A man among men, that Coach Taylor.

Looking forward to reading your answers, Rachel!

#22 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I really need to go re-read the books to find out who this screwdriver guy is, lol. Meg got me so curious!

As for book recs, I recently read family by Micol Ostow and if you're into the macabre and cults, you'll like it- it's loosely based on the Charles Manson murders of 1969. For a lighter read, I loved Trauma Queen by Barbara Dee and Blowout by Taylor Morris, both of which are middle-grade titles. Currently, I'm reading Die for Me by Amy Plum, So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti and Abandon by Meg Cabot. I know, it's a lot, but I'm enjoying them all!

#23 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Answers to those questions I keep not answering:

1. I have no sisters. I have a younger brother. I do have older cousins with whom I am close and whom I used to pretend were my sisters -- and younger cousins I could say the same about... and I did draw on my feelings from when I was younger -- spending vacations, watching their sisterly interactions, figuring out where I fit in the dynamic or not -- in getting in touch with the emotions of the Avery sisters. I am always interested in the roles we play in our families, so that was part of why I wanted to write books from the perspectives of each of the three sisters: while they are all in he same family, seeing some of the same events and people, their interpretations are hugely varied -- and that is what makes all the difference (to misquote a poet).

2. As I wrote each book, I thought "this is the one who is really most like me." Maybe because I wrote it last, or maybe because I am the older sister in my own family (and also a recovering "good girl") I thought, at the end, that I am deep down most like Quinn. But then I took the "which Avery girl are you most like" quiz and was very surprised with the result...

3. I love love love what happens after the end of the book questions. Part of the fun is that the reader gets to decide... But, since you asked: I think Quinn and Oliver are both back at school -- and that, someday, they will find their way to each other in a VERY happy (I was going to say ending but no) new beginning...

Happy May!

And let's keep talking, if you want.

Love,
Rachel Vail

#24 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for answering my questions, Rachel! Here are a few more, if you're inclined to answer them. :)

1. Is your shoe closet anything like Quinn's mother's? My mouth was drooling with envy when I read the description of all the fabulous shoes that lived in that closet.

2. Ever since he was first brought up in this thread, I've been intrigued by Screwdriver Guy. Who is he, and in which book does he appear???

3. Even though you're the author of Brilliant and knew what would happen in each scene, did it hurt your heart to write the scene where Quinn saw Cassandra and found out that Oliver's invitation to the outdoor concert was not a date? I felt so sad for Quinn at that moment, especially because she got all dolled up and later ended up getting sick. The poor thing just wanted to be home instead of in the company of Oliver and his friends.

#25 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

More answers to your fun questions above!

1. I wish! That's my fantasy shoe closet, based on a combination of my mom's, my aunt's in her old house, and what I would have if I had such a thing.

2. Screwdriver guy! Okay, okay -- he is Tyler Moss, Allison's boyfriend in GORGEOUS. The screwdriver thing is the key to his hidden sweet side... and it is so sweet you might have to fall in love with him for it (I did, anyway).

3. Yes. It broke my heart. So awful and true and devastating and... urgh...

#26 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

Oh wow, was totally NOT expecting Screwdriver Guy to be Allison's boyfriend, Tyler. He didn't really make a good impression on me in Brilliant, but now I'm really intrigued by him and am really looking forward to reading about him in Gorgeous. Can't wait to read Lucky, too. It'll be interesting to reread Brilliant after reading the first two books in the series.

Rachel, a couple more questions, if you can stand it. :P

1. What are you currently working on, and when can readers expect it to be released?

2. Not book- or writing-related, but if you've already watched it, what did you think of the series finale of Friday Night Lights? I thought it was a wonderful tearjerker of an episode and one of the best finales I've ever seen.

#27 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

^^^Thanks for asking about Rachel's next book. I really wanna know what she's got coming up because I love her books so much!

#28 Rachel Vail

Rachel Vail

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi again!

I am current;y working on a sequel to my book IF WE KISS! It is fun and challenging and very interesting and... kind of... hot. That's all I can say about that for now!!!

I haven't seen the end of FNL because I am watching past seasons with my husband and trying (not fully succeeding) to delay watching season 5 until he is caught up and can watch it with me. Almost there...

There was a whole throng of paparazzi across the street from my building here in NYC yesterday (and they seem to be massing again today) -- I had a whole bunch of ideas about celebrities and filming that might begin on my street and all kind of glam stuff. But no. It's the crusty old banker from the International Monetary Fund. His daughter, a graduate student, lives here. So there are people sitting there all day and night waiting to take a picture of her? Talk to her roommates? Too weird.

But it does make me wonder what happens to the neighborhood when some scandalous thing happens and the paps start camping out and people start talking... hmmm... might need to think about some of the details I am observing, write them down in my trusty writer's notebook and file away for a future book...

What have you witnessed in the past day or two -- a detail seen, a snippet of conversation overheard, a smell wafting out a window -- that you could use in a story sometime?

#29 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Rachel, can't wait to read your next book! You had me at "kind of hot." :)

Bummer that the paps were waiting for a photo of the daughter of the banker from the International Monetary Fund. Boring! I live in Northern California in a city where celebs don't usually descend on, so paps are rarely around.

Comments that I've overheard recently:

Yesterday when I was watching the previews before Bridesmaid, the trailer for the upcoming J.J. Abrams movie Super 8 came on. Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights is in the movie, and when he came on the screen, a girl sitting behind me said, "It's Coach Taylor." I totally wanted to turn around and say, "YES, IT'S COACH TAYLOR! ARE YOU A FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS FAN, TOO?!?!" but thought that might scare her, so just kept my mouth shut. I don't meet many fellow FNL fans, so get excited when I encounter them. :P

I also overheard someone on the bus yesterday saying that reading was a waste of time.

Last weekend while walking down the street with my sister, a woman behind us on her cell phone was talking to a friend about how her boyfriend/guy she was seeing or hanging out with had told her to shut up or shut it when they were in the car together. She relayed to her friend on the phone that she got out of the car after he'd said that. If I remember correctly, she went on to say that you don't tell someone to shut up and how that was disrespectful. I looked over at my sister and said, "Good for her."

#30 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

When I think of the word "rapture," smokin' hot dudes such as this one come to mind. You're welcome! :D

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users