#1 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Title: All That's Gilded
Author: jenny linsky's red scarf
Summary: Set two years after Missing You and Twilight, and almost 3/4 of the way through Underworld. Jess Mastriani has the whole world right in front of her. No longer her broken self, she can focus on her life ahead. The only thing that's unsettling Jess is that she hasn't found a single person since Hannah. That's good, right? No more hiding from the press, no more freakish ESP. Just a nice normal life. Or so she thought until Zack Oliviera is desperate enough to find his missing daughter to coerce Jess into stepping out of retirement and reignite the spark. Only Pierce isn't willing to go back home. Jess gets pulled into a whole new reality. One that Suze Simon knows all too well. Well enough to know that ever since Pierce Oliviera came back from the dead that something is amiss.
Chapter Rating: T
Disclaimer: I am not Meg Cabot, I don't own the Mediator, 1800-Where-R-U/Vanished, or Abandon series. These all belong to their respected authors, publishers, and whomever else hold rights to them.
---------

PREFACE
(somethings start again)

“I realize that you are concerned about your daughter’s whereabouts, but this is hardly a matter for the FBI-“

“She is a citizen of the United States of America. It’s your duty to protect her!”

“-To deal with, especially when she’s barely been missing for forty eight hours. You must understand that the Federal Bureau of Investigation-“

“For God sake’s my daughter has been kidnapped. Listen to me!”

A moment passed before the man on the other end of the phone answered. Inhaling to keep his calm, he continued, “I understand. If one of my children went missing, I’d go to the end of the Earth to find them-“

“Then why can’t you just understand me?”

“Would you stop interrupting me, Zack?” For a moment his voice lost the calm he had kept. “I know how much you love Pierce. I do. I know you want her back, but there’s simply nothing I can do without abusing my power to help you. I cannot just abandon my authority, potentially endangering the entire country while terrorists go unwatched just to find your daughter. One of thousands of missing children in the country.”

Hard breathing could be heard from the other line. “I thought you were my friend, Cyrus. I thought I could turn to you when I needed you. You seemed to forget about those responsibilities during the court case. You helped my save Pierce’s skin back then.”

Another silence. “I shouldn’t have, I know,” Cyrus Krantz sighed, “but I knew how hard everything had been for you since the oil spill and then The Accident. We are friends, don’t forget that, but there is simply nothing I can do. There isn’t even actual proof that your daughter was kidnapped-“

“You saw the tape, Cyrus. You saw him take her!”

“There is no proof Pierce isn’t involved with this man. Perhaps she ran away.”

“Don’t you dare accuse my daughter of being at fault, Cyrus. Don’t you dare.”

“I’m not,” he said, trying to hold back a shout of frustration. “Pierce is disturbed!” Cyrus heard Zack draw in a sharp breath. “She is! Don’t you even deny it.”

And the defeated man could only manage, “I just want my daughter back. That’s all.”

Cyrus pulled his glasses off, rubbing his forehead. Then he said into the phone, “I know someone who can help, but you listen to me. You can’t bring her into the press, all right? And you can’t force her to help you. She’s gone through some pretty rough stuff. If she says no, then that’s your answer. She’s someone else’s daughter, you remember that.”

-
ONE
(the girl behind the wedding curtain)

Jess had fallen in love with the antique ring as soon as she first had laid eyes on it, which unfortunately was after it was thrown across a garage. It was fine now, and made a nice home for itself on the fourth finger on her left hand. It was beautiful, really. She could look at it all night if it was up to her. Jess had never been one for flashy, materialistic things—hell, Ruth had to force her into wearing skirt her junior year in high school—but somehow the glint of the modest ring diamond made Jess want to cry out with joy.

She’s been engaged for two years now. She was supposed to wait until after college before getting married, but they decided to change things after Douglas made an interesting announcement. Jess had transferred to the University of Indiana, but she wouldn’t be graduating on time, thanks to that brief stint at Julliard. Now instead of majoring in orchestra—or whatever exactly they called it at Julliard—she was attempting to get her teaching degree. So of course she would have to put in another year before she could get her teaching diploma.

Then Douglas just ruined everything. He had been her favorite brother until this. Douglas might have let it slip that at Thanksgiving dinner that really they only wanted to hire the best teachers at the alternative, and really, he thought she’d be great, but it really wasn’t his final decision to make, and that a master’s degree would look better than just a plain ole bachelors.

The conversation ended with Jess promptly shoving her elbow right below his ribcage.

She wasn’t looking forward to added years of school. College wasn’t the piece of crap known as high school, and there wasn’t as many people she wanted to punch in the face—only Joey di Josepho, but honestly the cheesy Guido accent and the hair gel were the Big No—there. It was just school and learning. Jess was so over learning.

She wanted to graduate and get married and move on with her life.

Well at least now she was getting onto the married. After some heavy convincing, she managed to get her mother motivated to set the date for this fall. After all if she was going to be in school through her mid twenties, she felt it was just accepted to get it over with. Only she didn’t use that phrasing with her mom. She used more “you can out the decorations” type words.

Only her mother didn’t quite see it that way.

“Honestly Jessica, you make it sound like you’re crossing the street. This is important. It’s a milestone. A milestone! Now what are we going to do about invitations? Have you even thought of theme? No Jessica you are not going to send out of mass email.”

So that settled it. This fall she would be Mrs. Jess Wilkins. This September.

Which was in one week.

Thinking about that, Jess tried to calm the panic that threatened to seize her throat. She loved Rob. Really, she truly did. It’s just that when she actually thought about marriage and settling down… She didn’t want another boy, that’s for sure. But she just felt nervous. That was it. Just the nerves

It was three in the morning when she looked at the clock. Less than a week now. Oh God. But no she would be fine and Rob would be fine and everything would be done and good.

Right.
_

“Oh honestly Jessica, you shouldn’t be sleeping in so late. There’s just too much to do today.” Her mother chided her at seven in the morning.

Jess tried to answer, but the response was some sort of mashed up gurgle. Instead she threw the covers back over her head, regretting that she opted to spend the week leading up to the ceremony at her parent’s house rather than Rob’s, which she had been living in—much to her mother’s controversy—for the past two years.

“Jessica!” Her mother tore the comforter off. “Up. Now.”

And that’s how Jess fully woke up that morning. She realized again that though she briefly slept, it had been a dreamless sleep. As usual.

It’s just the nerves, she told herself, ignoring the photo of a missing infant Rosemary had emailed to her to find.

It’s just the nerves. The nervous energy that had come from getting engaged. The nerves from starting over at a new college. The nerves of moving in with the boy of her dreams. The nerves of pushing the wedding forward.

It was really just the nerves. That’s why she hadn’t been able to find anyone since Hannah those long two years ago. She was just too nervous. And too stressed. Only it frustrated Jess to no end because she wasn’t broken anymore. She was Jess Mastriani, who had her life in control. So why couldn’t she find anyone? So much of her time spent with ESP, she thought of it as a burden, which it was. But now that the Feds had backed off… Jess thought she could finally make peace with it.

Only nothing.

It’s just because of the nerves.

“I should have skipped lunch,” Ruth groaned, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

Jess shrugged, “you look fine. Really Ruth.” Ruth had managed to drop those extra forty pounds she’d been carrying around throughout her adolescent years, but she would forever remain self-conscious about her waistline, which is why she choose to don a silver bridesmaid dress. Supposedly it was the new slimming shade. Jess didn’t know. She let Ruth pick out the dress. Jess had implied that a quick elopement in Vegas wearing jeans and a t-shirt would suit her well enough, but both Ruth and her mother had put an end to that.

Ruth grimaced once more at her reflection. “I’ll just do a fruit salad for dinner and skip breakfast for the next five days.” She pulled out her purse, and started rummaging in it. “So about your hair. I was thinking maybe we could curl it…” She let the sentence hang in the air.

“Curl it?” Jess ran a finger through her short kept hair. She had let it grow enough so that it was halfway down her neck. “If you curl it, Rob’ll have longer hair. I thought we were just going to do like a poof with my bangs and I dunno. Maybe put in a nice headband and uh, spray in some glitter or some crap.”

Ruth blinked.

“Spray in glitter? Jessica Mastriani this is your wedding not your eighth grade semi formal!” Like either Ruth or Jess had gone to that. “Plus I bought you these.” She pulled what she had been searching in her bag for.

“No way in hell am I wearing those.”

“But Jess-“

“I like my short hair.” Jess answered, scowling at the hair extensions Ruth held up.

“Don’t you just want to feel like a princess, Jess?”

While Jess knew that Ruth was trying to be a good friend like she had been since forever, Jess was getting sick of everyone trying to change her.

“No. I want to feel like Jess Mastriani, not like Barbie.”

Ruth didn’t say anything after that.

-

That night Jess Mastriani woke up in a plane.

#2 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

O M G!!!!!
It was like SO AWESOME!!!
But like why didn't you put the whole thing in this forum instead of putting a link?

I wonder if she's going to make it in time for her wedding?

When is Suze gonna come in?

What is John gonna do?

#3 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

that was really good.
i especially liked that part-"i want to be jess mastriani not barbie"

please please continue.
i'm eager to find out what happens next.
how long till suze comes in?

update.please!

#4 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

@Purple Rocks: Thank you! I didn't post the whole thing on the message boards for a few reasons:

1. I think it's an incredibly sloppy looking to post such a large amount of text.
2. I don't want anyone else to copy and paste and take credit elsewhere (such as FF.net or ao3.com). If I post it on my lj account, then I have full credibility.
3. I don't want to brag, but this chapter was 4000+ words, and I think it's easier to read that much on lj.

Well I can't just answer all of those just yet! ;)

@suzeroxxx: Thank you! I also liked that part. I think it's important since Jess' closing lines in Missing You was admitting that the one person she needed to find was herself. I think that it's easy to get caught up in glamour with such a big event, but Jess wouldn't be the type of girl to be bridezilla.

Suze will come in sooner than you might think! ;)

#5 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

^ Oh.
Well update soon!!!

I wrote a story and I was wondering if you can check it out and give feed back...
It's called 'What you see isn't always what it is' it isn't great and all but you know I want to know what you think.

Well thanks and UPDATE!!!!

#6 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'd love to check it out!

#7 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

@Purple Rocks: Thank you! I didn't post the whole thing on the message boards for a few reasons:

1. I think it's an incredibly sloppy looking to post such a large amount of text.
2. I don't want anyone else to copy and paste and take credit elsewhere (such as FF.net or ao3.com). If I post it on my lj account, then I have full credibility.
3. I don't want to brag, but this chapter was 4000+ words, and I think it's easier to read that much on lj.

Well I can't just answer all of those just yet! ;)

@suzeroxxx: Thank you! I also liked that part. I think it's important since Jess' closing lines in Missing You was admitting that the one person she needed to find was herself. I think that it's easy to get caught up in glamour with such a big event, but Jess wouldn't be the type of girl to be bridezilla.

Suze will come in sooner than you might think! ;)

yay!
please bring in suze sooner.

we want updates!!!!!
:icon_lol: :a_smil08:

#8 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Please update!! :a_smil08:

#9 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

where are you?????????????

#10 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sorry this chapter was hard to write!

title: all that's gilded

author: binxabii

fandom: mediator, 1800-where-r-u/vanished, abandon

author notes: have fun with chapter two! I hope to hear you enjoy it! Also be aware: this is swearing.

disclaimer: I am not Meg Cabot, I don't own the Mediator, 1800-Where-R-U/Vanished, or Abandon series. these all belong to their respected authors, publishers, and whomever else hold rights to them.

“It’s really too goddamn hot here. I don’t know how you stand it.” “Nana, the news said it felt like it’s one hundred and eighteen degrees in Brooklyn. It’s only eighty four here.” “Californians,” the older woman said distastefully, flipping through the files she had been carrying around with her since she got there. “If I knew you’d turn in to such a West Coaster, I’da made you live with me.” Her voice may have sounded harsh and accusing, but Suze knew better. Nana was just joking again. Sarcasm and insults were Nana’s way of approval and love. “Christ, Andy, these are a helluva of load of pancakes!” “Anne,” Suze’s mother cried. Nana’s crude tongue always ended up with her mother in distress. “You remarried well, I’ll tell you that. Even if he does look like a Californian.” Her mom smiled a little at that. Suze had to agree. Andy was a good guy. Good enough for her mom, at least. Although he was a tad stricter when it came to punishment than her mom ever was, but as an eighteen—practically nineteen—year old, her days of getting grounded were officially over.

Comments? Criticisms?

#11 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

it was awesome!
though :icon_mecry2: for suze and jesse.
and you brought in paul slater!
good job!

#12 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Suze/Jesse is otp for me forever! I just think there should be some bumps along the road for them... or worse

I love Paul, he's my favorite Meg Cabot character, even if he is a slight antagonist in this story. ;)

Thank so much I appreciate all the feedback!

#13 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Suze/Jesse is otp for me forever! I just think there should be some bumps along the road for them... or worse

I love Paul, he's my favorite Meg Cabot character, even if he is a slight antagonist in this story. ;)

Thank so much I appreciate all the feedback!

you're welcome!
even i love paul slater!
i don't know-i just have a thing for evil guys................

#14 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Are you still there?????
the suspense is getting too bad.
please update soon

#15 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, sorry I'm working on chapter 3. I can't say how soon the chapter will be out, especially because school is starting now.

Just throwing it out there to the 140 views who are reading along that I update faster when I get more feedback...

#16 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

yeah,ok.
i understand.
but just to let you know-i am still interested in the story whether other people comment or not.....

#17 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Um yeah!I me too!!!

But I'm not really getting it. Oh wait now I do. Ohhhhh.Never mind. You did Jess then Suze ohhh. Yeah. Keep updating!!!! okay girl?

-Jennifer :m:

Edited by Purple Rocks, 30 August 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#18 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

any update coming up anytime soon?
'cause we are,like,dying with curiosity

#19 jenny linsky's red scarf

jenny linsky's red scarf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's a work in progress haha. I won't lie, and say that I've been writing this daily, but I am working on it. Unfortunately this chapter is a more difficult for me to write than I would prefer. But don't worry I haven't given up yet. There's one part in this story that I absolutely need to write, and I won't let this thing go until I write it!

#20 suzeroxxx

suzeroxxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

okay,good.
I hate it when people start a new story,put in lots of cliffhangers and then don't continue.
and all the best on writing the chapter.
we're, as always, waiting.
:a_smil08: :icon_study: :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users