here's a contest:

contest!

#48 beach_babii_50

beach_babii_50

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

oops, didn't mean to double post that (and where it says contest! is the link. click it!)

#49 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

AMERICAN TITLE IV COMPETITION: FOURTH YEAR'S A CHARM

Want to be the next American Title winner? Get cracking on your full-length PARANORMAL manuscript -- time travel, urban fantasy, futuristic, shape-shifting, etc. -- for the next installment of our American Title contest. You may be among the 10 contestants to compete for a Dorchester Publishing contract.

AREAS OF COMPETITION WILL INCLUDE: Best Opening Sentence, Story Summary, Description of Hero and Heroine, Best Dialogue Scene and Best Romantic Scene. Each round of submissions will be printed in RT BOOKreviews, beginning in late '07. After each round, two contestants will be eliminated.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Unpublished authors who have a completed paranormal manuscript of 80,000 to 90,000 words should send the first three chapters (no more than 50 pages) with a cover letter and a two- to seven-page synopsis to: American Title Contest, Dorchester Publishing, 200 Madison Ave., Suite 2000, New York, NY 10016. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY JUNE 1, 2007.

Finalists must agree to participate in each of the five rounds of the competition posted on our website and must submit copy for ALL five categories by Aug. 15.

AMERICAN TITLE FAQ ANSWERED BY DORCHESTER

What does "unpublished" mean?

Any author whose work has not been printed as a book may enter the contest. For example:
• If you have been e-published, you're eligible.
• If you have had short stories or anything under 30,000 words appear in a magazine or anthology, you would still be eligible.
• If you wrote a 45,000-word story that was published in print as a stand-alone book, you are not eligible for this contest.

What formatting should I use?

Dorchester does not have any formatting requirements other than that pages are typed, double-spaced, legible and unbound.

How long should the first three chapters be?

We request that the first three chapters not exceed 50 pages. If your book starts with a Prologue, please include that and then the first two chapters.

How do you calculate your word count?

If the manuscript is written in a standard font, our word count requirement generally means it will run about 340-400 pages. Your computer can help give you a rough estimate of what constitutes 80,000-90,000 words, but we won't be tallying them up exactly when the entries come in.

May I enter more than one title?

No. Before we have allowed multiple entries, but since you can only final for one, we now request that you send only one submission.

#50 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

How old? ^

#51 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

They don't care about your age, only your writing. Rule of thumb for these contests, unless it's for a specific age or group [high-school students, college students, middle-schoolers, housewives etc.] you can enter. They won't know your age only your writing.

#52 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Great chance for artists and writers or both. I haven't fully review the site but it seems very legit. One of the main sponsor is scholastic. Everybody check it out!!

Students in 7-12 grades
Online registration
No deadline given
Please click on this link for full information and to register online.
www.artandwriting.org

#53 *HONEY*

*HONEY*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

^ Yeah, that's a great opportunity. I reviewed the whole site and like Jage said, it's very legit. The first indicator is their sponsors: Scholastic, The New York Times, and HP.

=]

-xx tephy

#54 PerforatedxHearts

PerforatedxHearts

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but if you are at least 16 years old you are legally allowed to participate in the Writer's Digest Short Short Story competition, and, I believe, any other competitions that they hold.

Here's the link to their website; info should be on the first page.

www.writersdigest.com

#55 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

I have a contest!!~!

If you like to write poetry than you are looking at the right reply. The American Library of Poetry holds a contest every year. Here is the website. www.libraryofpoetry.com Go there for more information.

Good Luck,
Danielle :a_smil08: :a_smil08:

#56 kadie_leigh

kadie_leigh

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

Nanowrimo is starting again soon! Sign up here http://www.nanowrimo.org/ and see if you can write 50,000 words in just a month!

#57 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

My church, mormonism, is running a writing contest for high schoolers (grades 9-12)
I'm not positive, but I think it's US only.
Go to http://english.byu.e...tests/LDShs.asp for more details.

Jennie :happy8:

#58 sparkle&shine

sparkle&shine

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:06 AM

Do you need to pay for the trip yourself?

#59 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

The Twenty-Eighth Annual
Delacorte Press Contest
for a First Young Adult Novel

http://www.randomhou...ritingcontests/

Prize: The prize of a book contract (on the publisher’s standard form) covering world rights for a hardcover and a paperback edition, including an advance and royalties, will be awarded annually to encourage the writing of contemporary young adult fiction. The award consists of $1,500 in cash and a $7,500 advance against royalties.

Eligibility: Open to U.S. and Canadian writers who have not previously published a Young Adult novel.

Submissions: Book-length manuscript with a contemporary setting that will be suitable for readers ages 12 to 18. Manuscripts should be no shorter than 100 typewritten pages and no longer than 224 typewritten pages. Include a brief plot summary with your covering letter.

Deadlines: Manuscripts must be postmarked after October 1, 2009, but no later than December 31, 2009.

More information is available on the website, I just put the basics.

Emily :icon_flower:

#60 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but for anyone that reads Seventeen magazine, there is a contest going on in there. I believe the deadline is December 31st or something. Sometime in December. It's a short story contest and if you win, your story will be in the magazine. And I'm pretty sure it said you get some type of one-on-one with Meg Cabot. How appropriate for this site, eh?

#61 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but for anyone that reads Seventeen magazine, there is a contest going on in there. I believe the deadline is December 31st or something. Sometime in December. It's a short story contest and if you win, your story will be in the magazine. And I'm pretty sure it said you get some type of one-on-one with Meg Cabot. How appropriate for this site, eh?

I actually stopped being lazy and looked up the contest in one of the magazines. You have to complete an online entry form and submit a story of no more than 500 words at seventeen.com/fiction. Contest ends at 11:59 ET, December 31. One winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000 [holy shizzle], have the story published in a 2010 issue of Seventeen, and receive a phone call from Meg Cabot and her editor at Scholastic, Inc.

You must be: a female [I really love this contest], 13 to 21 years old, and a legal resident of the USA, District of Columbia, or Canada.

I am so entering. Anyone else?

#62 size 12 is not fat

size 12 is not fat

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

What only America? Not England? ^

~Oce~

#63 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

You live in England? Jealousss. I know. :( I don't really understand why the contest is limited to where you live. If it can be entered in online, why does it matter? If you find a contest for only England, post it on here and rub it in our American faces.

#64 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

I actually stopped being lazy and looked up the contest in one of the magazines. You have to complete an online entry form and submit a story of no more than 500 words at seventeen.com/fiction. Contest ends at 11:59 ET, December 31. One winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000 [holy shizzle], have the story published in a 2010 issue of Seventeen, and receive a phone call from Meg Cabot and her editor at Scholastic, Inc.

You must be: a female [I really love this contest], 13 to 21 years old, and a legal resident of the USA, District of Columbia, or Canada.

I am so entering. Anyone else?

Money and a call from Meg? I'm definitely entering that!
-Kayli :P

#65 m0nkey_luvs

m0nkey_luvs

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

I entered it and am planning on entering again this year!

I was actually going to suggest that actual contest! =)

♥Anna

#66 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

There's a writing contest right here in the FF section! Win a copy of Meg's Insatiable! (Because I'm spamming ...)

The Most Freakin' Cool Contest Is Now Open in the FF!
(Win a copy of Insatiable!)

Thursday, 20th May, 2010

The fantastic Fanfiction section here in the Writing Forum is running the WF's most coolest contest! If you've been reading Meg's blog, you'll know that a certain adult fiction novel of hers, by the name of Insatiable, is coming out oh so very soon! In celebration of such great news, the FF is hosting an amazing writing contest called, "And Then He Bit Her ..."! Click HERE now for the who (You write, and you decide the winner!), how (Writing a short story with that vampiric twist!), when (All entries submitted by 7PM New York time on 10th June, 2010), how (All entries posted on the thread), and all that jazz!

Everyone knows how talented everyone is, so, let those creative juices flow, and snag yourself a winner's button in your short story, the choice to decide July's FF writing challenge, and a copy of Insatiable (or Runaway, if you're after a YA novel only)!

Go, go, go, and write, write, write! :lol: And, see you all on the 'And Then He Bit Her ...' thread in the WF's awesome Fanfiction section!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users