• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46 pink*crane

pink*crane

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

This quote isn't exactly about writing but it's the one thing I look at everytime I'm feeling stuck or down and it always helps me push through and keep writing so I thought I'd share.

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given then to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
-- Unknown

#47 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

I think it's also extremely important to find people willing to read your work and give you feedback. You don't have to change your story for them and their ideas all the time but a lot of times other people can give you another take on your story, one you've never even thought of. Seeing that other perspective makes a huge difference. Even if it's hard. It was really hard for me to relinquish my protective hold on my work at first because I felt like although I wanted feedaback, and needed it for sure, it was like letting people read my diary. But in the end it is SO helpful. I guarantee you'll get more out of it than you might lose.

#48 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

This isn't necesarilly a tip, but I love this quote by Aiden Chambers in his book, "This is All":

"I want to write in a way that the writing is me- is myself. I want to write so that what I write and the way I write is me, the choice of the words and the arrangement of the words, the way I combine them, group them together, orchestrate them. For me, words are music as well as- as much as- they are meanings.

Also, writing is different from talk. When people listen to talk the hear the speaker's tone of voice. They look at the speaker's eyes. They observe the movements of the speaker's face and hands, which helps them to understand what the speaker means. The listener can question or interupt, and the speaker can change her mind or go a different direction.

But in writing, there is no voice to listen to, no eyes to exchange looks, no movements of the hands. No interuptions are possible, no question can be answered.

I love the appearance of the words on the page. I love their shape and the patterns they make. I feel them like pebbles in my mouth. I hear them like music in my head. When I write, they are sculptures in my hand."

#49 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

1) Goals and competive writing are the best motivation.
...It made me write as fast as I could, no matter how bad it sounded. Because I wanted to shove it in everyone else's faces and brag about it. (Didn't happen nearly enough, though.)

2) Set high goals, especially when you're writing is going well.

3) Know what you want to write before sitting down.

4) Plan.

5) Know everything about your characters.

6) Turn off all ways to procrastinate.
...For me, it's the Internet. I could spend hours on the Internet, wasting valuable writing time. Forget about the Internet, put away everything that would make you procrastinate, and focus at the task at hand. Pounding out words.

#50 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:02 AM

1. Never begin a sentence until you are sure of what you want to say in it.

2. When in doubt, Strike it out. ~Mark Twain

3. Cliches reflect a mind that is not thinking. ~Clive Jones

4. Never let your tongue or your hand get ahead of your brain.

5. Style like the human body, is especially beautiful when the veins are not prominent and the bones cannot be counted. ~Tacticus

6. A good style should show no sign of effort. What is written should seem a happy accident. ~Somerset Maugham

Some good quotes about writing I recently came across in a book called Write In Style.

Amber

#51 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Absolutely hilarious poem I found. It shows the dangers of relying on spell-check:

That's awl right

Eye have a spelling chequer:
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques for my revue
Mistakes I cannot see.

Eye strike a quay and type a word,
And weight four it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write:
It shows me strait a weigh.

I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your plea's two no;
It's letter-perfect all the whey -
My chequer tolled me sew!

I was laughing so hard when I read this.

Amber
xoxox

#52 Em

Em

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write. ~Sinclair Lewis

:)

#53 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

I know I posted here already, but I don't think my advice can work for everyone, so here's some advice that's a bit more general:

1: Have faith in your writing. If you don't believe it, no one else will.

2: Know the ending and/or major plot points. I think it's best to know the ending before you start writing so that you know where you will end up, though not everyone feels it necessary to have an ending. Major plot points are vital - they help you understand where the plot is going and even help with characterization.

3: Don't give up. Yeah, the writing is going to get a little tough sometimes, and you don't have to write EVERY idea you have. But if you know in your heart that you have a good idea and you want to finish, do it. Don't let a little writer's block stand in your way.

4: First Drafts are always crap. Do not be ashamed.

5: Use other writers as motivation and support. 'Cause WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER! < the full cheesiness of High School Musical. Sorry to HSM fans. The evidence is right there.

#54 PinkNinja

PinkNinja

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Make a playlist. Music is incredibly inspirational to me. My longest playlist was around 180 songs. It was also my longest story!

- Cali :spinstar:

#55 PinkNinja

PinkNinja

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

I know I posted here already, but I don't think my advice can work for everyone, so here's some advice that's a bit more general:

2: Know the ending and/or major plot points. I think it's best to know the ending before you start writing so that you know where you will end up, though not everyone feels it necessary to have an ending. Major plot points are vital - they help you understand where the plot is going and even help with characterization.

3: Don't give up. Yeah, the writing is going to get a little tough sometimes, and you don't have to write EVERY idea you have. But if you know in your heart that you have a good idea and you want to finish, do it. Don't let a little writer's block stand in your way.

5: Use other writers as motivation and support. 'Cause WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER! < the full cheesiness of High School Musical. Sorry to HSM fans. The evidence is right there.

I love #1!

- Cali :spinstar:

#56 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

I forgot one of my favorites:

"I write better than those who write faster, and I write faster than those who write better."

And, this one is from Karen Hawkins:
"Love what you write and write what you love."

#57 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Don't ever stop, no matter what, because someone out there will be greatly impacted by what you've written, and if you stop writing, how will you ever get the chance for that to happen?

Good quote, too:
"I am not a person aspiring to be a writer. I am a writer aspiring to be published."
:D
Only I don't remember who said it.

<3 Petra Iero-Way (author of Demolition Lovers).

#58 wishIwasthem

wishIwasthem

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

I made up a quate that I use a lot- It begins with pen and paper and a world of imagination that exists in my head and if I search my head I can write like I've never wrote before.

Also I really really really hate it in school when teachers teach you how to wright "the right way" In my opinion there is no "right way". Just because my story might not have a brillant start begging and ending or has an innapropriate topic or hasn't been written by the rules it dose not make it crap in my mind. THEY ARE TRYING TO STOMP OUT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY! For exsample I get a heap of good ides for stories whitch I can not use at school because they are to long or to short or are un acceotable or in some way won't meet up to the teachers stanterds. Also does it every acure to them THAT I MIGHT NOT WANT TO READ IT TO THE CLASS???????? AAARRRGGG

Also when you can't exsplane some thing or get what you imagingin, you just picture the scence in your head and just describe it and wright it down with out worrieying about what any one else might think about it. helps a LOT

:mgwave:
Edward and Bella 4-ever
Oh also if you don't like twilight please see a doctor its for your own good! thats more advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#59 w/peaches

w/peaches

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

I totally agree with you, wishIwasthem! With the part about teachers, I mean. I actually hate writing in school (although English is my best subject, surprise, surprise), for 2 reasons. 1) They always tell you what to write. It's not like you can write whatever you want, whenever. Teachers tell me to write boring, stupid things, and I can hardly ever write fiction, either (I just don't do non-fiction!). 2) I'm extremely self-conscious about my writing. I don't like writing in school because I'm terrified that when everyone reads it they are going to mock and make fun of me (although that has never, ever happened).

Here's my little bit on writing...

Writing is an art. I realized that one day in health class (don't ask), and it made me so happy because now I could consider myself as an 'artist' as well as a writer!

There's a difference between being a writer and being an author. A writer is just someone who has it in them - they simply have to write. An author is a hard-working writer who goes out there and gets their stuff published. Actually, I think I heard a quote like that once, although I don't remember who said it - something like, A writer is someone who writes because they enjoy it. An author is simply a hard-working, persistent writer.

First drafts really do suck. You need to know this. It took me some time to realize then and when writing my first draft, I was ready to break into tears because of my suckish writing. But the first draft is when you can allow yourself to suck! Then afterwards you have to whip out all that awesomeness you have hidden inside and use it to clean up that draft until it shines.

I'm sure I have more... I'll be back here later!
~A~ :user:

#60 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

"A published writer is an amateur who didn't give up." - Mandy Hubbard

^ I love that quote.

I also believe in order to be a writer, you have to be hard-working and dedicated, willing to put in the time and effort. And if you want to be an author, you have to be able to rewrite and revise.

w/peaches: Same for me about the first drafts. I was so disheartened after I realized how awful my first draft really was and how hard it is to rewrite. Then I got some helpful tips and realized it's okay if the first draft sucks. What sets you and your story apart from the rest is when you rewrite and polish it until you turn that rock into a gem.

I'd also like to mention something I found out quite recently. In order to get better at writing, you have to practice. This was something I knew all along, but it just kind of hit me a few days ago. You can't simply get advise from other writers and expect yourself to write good stories. You have to learn the ways you write best. For example, I've been having trouble deciding how to plan a novel. Extensively or loosely? And how to get to know my characters. An interview? A day spent with them? I finally realized that in order to figure all this stuff out, I have to practice writing. You can't figure it out before you write, you figure it out while you're writing.

So, yeah, in short: PRACTICE MAKES BETTER.

- Shakey

#61 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

I love these ones! Unfortunatly, the only thing I can think of to say is if you like the idea of the story your doing but not the story itself, try righting it a diffrent way. A few times I did this and it really helped.

#62 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

I adore Mandy Hubbard. Not sure if anyone on here has heard of her or not. She wrote PRADA AND PREJUDICE. It's on it's 4th round of publishing. I've followed her on her LJ since she was rewriting P&P. Mandy Hubbard's LJ. She's been posting Writing & Publishing A Novel in parts. She has four so far.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

It's really helpful. I would recommend reading them.

#63 w/peaches

w/peaches

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

Toxic_Energy, that stuff was really helpful. Well, I just skimmed it, but I definitely plan to read it more fully when I have the time!

I read this bit of advice on a website (I totally forget where, it was awhile ago), but it said that you should never have chat windows open when you're writing. It's so true!! Mostly I follow that rule, but one time I was IMing my boyfriend as I wrote and I got about half as much done as I could have :P. I think the point is to eliminate distractions so you can focus on your writing.

#64 wishIwasthem

wishIwasthem

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write. ~Sinclair Lewis

I love this qoute.
I had a little box of pens with this written on a piece of paper in it.
But I lost it. It was very up setting. :(

Edward and Bella 4-ever.

#65 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hold on to your flash drive like it's the last boy on earth. Seriously, you lose that, you lose EVERYTHING.

#66 Alexthebride

Alexthebride

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

"Always, and I mean ALWAYS, save your stuff in either a CD or email them to yourself in at LEAST two different mail accounts. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience over here." --Julia

Oh boy isn't that the truth. Last year i discovered what a trojan horse was and a jump drive. Of course the jump drive came after the Trojan Horse that crashed our hardrive. Lost all of my stuff :icon_mecry2:

#67 ragulto101

ragulto101

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

Tina Ferraro's TIP

"Keep a journal. Explore your feelings about the things happening to you, dwell on them...try to own them. It not only helps you to understand what you're going through now, but will give you perspective when you look back."

She claimed that it really helped her organize her thoughts and feelings.

-Lynn-

#68 ran

ran

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

^ It makes sense to me...

And this is a quote...

"I hate to write, but I love to have written"

Don't know who said it, but I heard it at a Creative Writing festival and I guess it sort of ties into what Candii had posted, from Stephenie Meyer's FAQ. Just sit down at write, even if you don't enjoy it.

~Chelsie ♥

I think that was Dorothy Parker....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users