Photo

Post Questions about the 'Writing Club' section here!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Writing Club

This is the thread to post any questions you might have about the 'Writing Club' section.

This includes questions about the 'Writing Club', 'Fan Fiction', 'About Writing', and 'Archives' sections.

#2 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

Hey there!
I've been trying to start a new thread in the 'writing club' section, but everytime I clicked 'post new topic' it says 'you must enter a post'
What does this exactly mean??

#3 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Is it still happening? I think it might be a glitch, as I don't seem to get the same message because it just opens up to the message box where you can start writing in whatever you wish. Do let me know, and I'll pass it onto Lauren, if it is still happening.

ali :)

#4 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

I just tried. Same problem again :( 'you must enter a post'

#5 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Edited by Shaheen, 05 May 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#6 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Topic posted.

And I know where the problem lies. It's only when I tried to insert a link that it wouldn't work. I deleted the link in my banner disclaimer and the previewed the post and it's didn't say 'you must enter a post' thingy.

#7 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

So, everything is a-okay now? If you need to us to edit in your links, we can do that for you. I tried mucking around, but no matter what, I couldn't seem to get the same response, so, I'm glad you've posted the topic now.

If there's any other problems, just let us know!

ali :D

#8 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

So, everything is a-okay now? If you need to us to edit in your links, we can do that for you. I tried mucking around, but no matter what, I couldn't seem to get the same response, so, I'm glad you've posted the topic now.

If there's any other problems, just let us know!

Everything's great now. :)

Do we need to post the link for the original image for the banners?

Anyway, posting the link anyway:

Original Title: Brian and Julie's wedding ring

If you can just please edit it up.

Big Thanks!!Posted Image

#9 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

I'm glad everything is now okay - Edited in your link for the banner disclaimer. :)

Many thanks!

#10 Sugar Rush

Sugar Rush

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hello

I'm having a bit of trouble when i copy my relevant text from Word into my thread for 'Second Glimpse' It always manages to stick words together 'likethis' and then i have to go around and separate them individually. How do i fix this problem?

Thank you :)

#11 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hello

I'm having a bit of trouble when i copy my relevant text from Word into my thread for 'Second Glimpse' It always manages to stick words together 'likethis' and then i have to go around and separate them individually. How do i fix this problem?

Thank you :)

LOL....the word merging problem. Same for me. It always happen when I copy and paste something, and then when I preview it or add reply, it gets merge...very annoying.
And I know there are other people who encountered this problem as well.

#12 roxtar

roxtar

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

:icon_sunny:i want to edit my story but i don't know how to. Help me please

Edited by roxtar, 02 July 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#13 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why the copy and paste from Word function doesn't work as well, as it certainly doesn't seem to happen with some posts or with some people at all. I'm not sure if it's related to individual computers, as I find that it can happen with one of my computers, but not with another one.

roxtar, unfortunately, you can't edit your posts after a certain timeframe. If you need any help, just contact Clavie or myself in the Support Sticky (you'll see it at the top of the Writing Club posts, and also, in the Fanfiction forum too).

Ali :)

#14 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

i was hoping if someone could help me track down some old stories i have wrote under my user name? is there anyway to search the archives? i am quite interested in getting some of my old work back. dont know if this is possible but any help would be lovely xoxo

#15 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:57 AM

prada princess, the only stories that I can see (and hence, can recover) is 'oops I did it again' and 'I miss you (short story type of thing)'. Which one do you want back?

#16 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

prada princess, the only stories that I can see (and hence, can recover) is 'oops I did it again' and 'I miss you (short story type of thing)'. Which one do you want back?

is there no way to get the old, old posts back? as i am really intrested in recovering them? any help and advice would be lovely :) xoxo

#17 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

prada princess, as mentioned above, those are the only stories I can see (and hence, recover).

Sorry for the bad news,

Ali

#18 AISHA17

AISHA17

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

prada princess, as mentioned above, those are the only stories I can see (and hence, recover).

Sorry for the bad news,

Ali

YUP THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN GET IT BACK

#19 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

YUP THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN GET IT BACK

Actually, that's not necessarily correct - Some stories we can get back, but, not all, so, it just depends on the individual case of finding out what's available and what's not. As long as MCMB members have a title (or just want us to conduct a general search), we'll be able to find out what can be recovered.

#20 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hello,

I know i've posted this before (sorry to be a pain!) but is there anyway at all of getting any of my old stores back that i posted on the writing board? its a long time ago i know, i think some were wrote in 2004, but i am currently at university studying creative writing and it would be brilliant to have them back. Alas a lot of them were wrote in the day before memory sticks and they were wrote on the family computer which is long gone. i would be so grateful if anyone could help me, i know it is a lot to ask but for some reason i really want to read them, i don't know why. i can only guess it is to see how much my work has improved.

Thank you

charlotte

#21 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Charlotte, are you able to save them this time around?

I've found quite a few threads (it seems like more than last time), but, I don't know how far back you want to go. I've dug up some, but, if you want me to go back further, just let me know.

P.S. You should be able to see them in the 'Writing Club' forum on the second page at the bottom

#22 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

ahhhhh this is amazing! thank you so much, can i be really cheeky and see if there are any other threads? i wrote everything so long ago that i can't even remember the names of them!

thank you so much, I'm saving them straight on to my memory stick

xoxo

#23 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Charlotte, do you want the repeated threads (e.g. If you have two threads of the same story, do you want both back or is one sufficient enough?)?

#24 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Can I have them all please? I've bought a new memory stick to put the all on so that would be fab xo

#25 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Charlotte, all the stories I could find (dating back to 2006 - including stories of the same title) are now back and can be found on the 2nd page in the 'Writing Forum'.

#26 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

thank you that is so great, i was just wondering if there was one more story you could possibly look for? i have a very vague feeling it could be called army life or something similar?

thank you so much for your help, i am very grateful

xoxo

#27 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi Charlotte,

Unfortunately, I can't find any other story in our archives section (with that title or any other title). Was it a completed story or still in progress?

#28 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi Charlotte,

Unfortunately, I can't find any other story in our archives section (with that title or any other title). Was it a completed story or still in progress?

to be honest i think they are all still in progress, it was one i was working on before gucci, gucci, coo, if that helps at all? really can't remember the title :( also is there one called in her choos/shoes? xoxo

#29 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Sorry, Charlotte, the only other threads I can find are ones where you made posts in (and were not started by you).

Sorry for the bad news!

Ali

#30 prada princess

prada princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

ah really? that sucks i'm about 99% certain about the other the two titles, is there anyway to double check? its my own silly fault for not saving them really. so glad i have my memory stick nowadays xo

#31 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Sorry, Charlotte, not sure what more I can do, as I can't seem to bring up any threads or posts of any name.

Ali

#32 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi. Could my story "The Famoux' please be deleted?
Thanks!

-Nikki

#33 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hi how do you post a photo strait from your computer to your thread or post x I tried to add an image but it asked me for a URL of which there is none as its my own image x

#34 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to do so. You'll need to upload your image onto a image hosting site like Photobucket or other ones like that. That way, you can get the URL.

#35 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hi, could all of my stories in the Writing Archives be deleted? I think that includes For Both are Infinite and Land of The Free.
Thanks

#36 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

NikkiandEm, all done, but, were there others (as I only deleted the two you mentioned)?

#37 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

In the writing club, I have an After Mockingjay fanfiction. Can you delete that too?

Sorry for all the deleting…I'm editing these stories and don't really want the drafts everywhere (:

#38 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

NikkiandEm, all done! :)

#39 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hello!

This is going to be a long-winded post, so do bare with my many thoughts and I. 

Let's begin from the start of all things when I joined this site!

I had a major READERS crush on Meg Cabot. And for any of those who have read her things (which I'm sure you did) will understand how obessive you become of someone.

She had this clear way of writing, that pretty much saved me from the darkness and demons that would soon come crawling out from my soul. She lets you believe in that perfect love story, that things are difficult now, but soon it'll be all the better.

And because of this, I wanted to know where she was from, who she was married, how many cats she had, and (if only I could) know where her address was. 

So when I followed her on Twitter (She followed me BACK!) I freaked out when she put up a tweet saying that her message board was having a writing contest, and there was a prize for the best story.

The inner writer in me had to click on the link, as I'm sure the many other members that followed me when reading that post, and join this 'Message Board'.

I was just passed the deadline from the contest, but I waited until February's contest, just so I could say I was a part of this writing contest. As well as tapping into my (some what) writing talent. 

So my basic question is

Why has this contest disappeared from this site? There isn't even a quarterly contest. Why?

I mean just posting on it on Twitter would lure more members onto this site. So this 'dead' site turns into a buzzing off-the-wall kind of site that I once fell in love with!

I want to see this site thrive again like it once was three years ago, with amazing writers at such a young age.

So my whole question is

Why isn't there a contest anymore?

Thank you for reading such a passage, but I feel rather passionate about it and would gladly like an answer that's been bugging me for a bit.

Much love,

Alex~ :m: 

#40 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hi, could you delete my story "Dark Horse"?

#41 Logan1949

Logan1949

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hello!

This is going to be a long-winded post, so do bare with my many thoughts and I. 

Let's begin from the start of all things when I joined this site!

I had a major READERS crush on Meg Cabot. And for any of those who have read her things (which I'm sure you did) will understand how obessive you become of someone.

She had this clear way of writing, that pretty much saved me from the darkness and demons that would soon come crawling out from my soul. She lets you believe in that perfect love story, that things are difficult now, but soon it'll be all the better.

And because of this, I wanted to know where she was from, who she was married, how many cats she had, and (if only I could) know where her address was. 

So when I followed her on Twitter (She followed me BACK!) I freaked out when she put up a tweet saying that her message board was having a writing contest, and there was a prize for the best story.

The inner writer in me had to click on the link, as I'm sure the many other members that followed me when reading that post, and join this 'Message Board'.

I was just passed the deadline from the contest, but I waited until February's contest, just so I could say I was a part of this writing contest. As well as tapping into my (some what) writing talent. 

So my basic question is

Why has this contest disappeared from this site? There isn't even a quarterly contest. Why?

I mean just posting on it on Twitter would lure more members onto this site. So this 'dead' site turns into a buzzing off-the-wall kind of site that I once fell in love with!

I want to see this site thrive again like it once was three years ago, with amazing writers at such a young age.

So my whole question is

Why isn't there a contest anymore?

Thank you for reading such a passage, but I feel rather passionate about it and would gladly like an answer that's been bugging me for a bit.

Much love,

Alex~ :m:

Sorry it's been a year and a month since you asked this, but here is one answer.

The following is my private opinion as a member of this forum. It does not represent any official knowledge of or by the administrators of this web site.

The basic reason for not having a contest is this, there are not enough active members, i.e. contributors to the web-site left to make it any kind of competition.  The reason there are not many readers/contributors is complex, but my guess would be it has something to do with the following causes ---

One --- Meg Cabot has not published as many books per year for the last four years, as she had in the 10 years prior to 2011.  She was once a book-writing superwoman, but now she is writing at speeds other mortal authors can match.  According to her own web-site, here are the number of her books at Adult (A), Teen (T), and Elementary (E) levels which were or will be published each year.

1998 A;       1999 AA;       2000 TTAAA;

2001 TTTTTTA; 2002 TTTTTAAA; 2003 TTTTT; 2004 TTTTTA; 2005 TTTTAA;

2006 TTTTAA;  2007 TTTTAA;   2008 EETTA; 2009 EETTTA; 2010 EETA;

2011 TA;      2012 TA;       2013 TA;    2014;        2015 AE;

2016 T

Two --- Age of readers.  When I became a member of the site in 2007, there were about 25-30 thousand teen-age girl members and only 4-5 of us guys brave enough to admit the truth ---- The (first) Princess Diaries was a brilliant and funny book. (My father, 70 at the time, liked it as well.) If you were a 13 year-old fan of the Princess Diaries in 2003, you would have grown through High School by 2008, and through college by 2012.  You might be married with children by now. The older you get, the less time you have to spend online or writing stories.  Not many people are like Jennifer Lynn Barnes who managed to write one or more good books each year as she went through high-school and college.

Three --- Competition.  Meg Cabot’s books were competing with things like the Harry Potter series, of which the seventh book in the series sold 24 million copies. World-wide. The first day.  Vampires and Werewolves became popular (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Twilight Series, JLB’s Raised by Wolves books).  Books competed with movies and television. While Disney white-washed The Princess Diaries in a movie adaptation (Julie Andrews as an always-smiling Clarise? Not good.), The Hunger Games later came across very strongly from book to movie.

Four --- Platform. Web site forums have been replaced by Facebook groups in popularity. Meg’s Diary on her web site is updated about once each month, but her Facebook page appears to be (lately) updated by her several times each day. During this time Meg Cabot’s site underwent a distasteful (in my opinion) conversion to a pink background which made it harder to read, and the security it once had to protect the privacy of young teenagers was relaxed to allow pictures and more personal data to be displayed.

Five --- The Messageboards page (forums.megcagot.com) on the WWW.Megcabot.com web site is virtually hidden.  There are seven tabs across the top of the Megcabot.com site: Books, Biography, Meg’s Diary, Press, Book Tour, FAQ, and Contact.  Of these, only the last one, Contact, has a button-box if you happen to scroll down to the page below, that says “Meg Cabot Message Board”.  And that “MESSAGEBOARDS” page is the only place where you may sign up, sign in, or browse the Book Club, Writing Club, or Special Chats forums.  It is virtually a separate web site. Being so hidden from the public makes it very difficult for the public to become interested in something they can scarcely find.  This is a major reason there is almost no one there any more.

As a result of all these things, young fans grew up, grew out of, and shied away from the Meg Cabot web site.  Also, I imagine that as the books went out of print, the publishers stopped advertising them, reducing their visibility in the world; which reduced Meg Cabot’s visibility as well.

Anyway, compared to what it once was, browsing the Meg Cabot forums is now like walking through a ghost town.  If you are lucky, you may run across someone else browsing the same forum.  But more often than not, it will be only you.  Back in 2008-2010, there could be up to 10-20 people on a forum at the same time, passing comments back and forth.  They do that now on Meg Cabot’s Facebook page, but with just a few at a time.

So this is why, in my opinion, there are no more writing contests.  We cannot even keep up with our own stories in the writers forum. Postings from anyone at all have fallen down close to one per month.  When we yell, “Hallooo,” there is no echo.  When we ask a question, there is no answer.  When we post a poem or chapter, there is rarely a comment in response.

What would it take to raise the number of people posting on the site?  In my experience, the people who have lasted the longest were people who already knew each other outside the web-site.  They were actual friends, and they kept communicating. Virtual friends get left behind when real-life intrudes.  What it will take may be local fan-clubs or reading groups of people who already know each other to use the site (or at least the writer’s forum) the way it was intended.  People willing to dedicate at least part of their time to writing and helping each other improve their writing. People who agree to “meet” at regular intervals and across the web site to post their latest efforts, and to read the efforts of their friends.  People who love their friends and, when a misunderstanding happens in print, who can call their friend and work it out over the phone, in person, or across Skype.

I am not suggesting that anyone use the Meg Cabot messageboards to meet new friends.  I am suggesting that we keep our virtual “friends” and our real friends separate; that we use the real friends we already have to help each other write better, and use the Meg Cabot forum web site as free infrastructure to do that.  And if our virtual “friends” can contribute constructive, helpful, supportive comments, all the better.

Logan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users