• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi! This is my first fan fiction (well not really, but its the first I’ve posted) tell me what you think

Chapter 1

"Emerson Watts." Called Mr. Greer. I began to pay attention immediately. Not that I actually opened my eyes; I just started listening.
“Here!” Em said in a slightly surprised voice. She hadn’t been paying attention either, I could tell.
“Em,” Mr. Greer said. Then he yawned, you could hear it all the way across the classroom. “I wasn’t calling roll. It's time to give the class you're two minute persuasive oral piece. Were going in reverse alphabetical order, remember?”
Oh, right. Em slid out of chair and began to walk towards the front of the classroom. I could hear her Converse on the wood floor, but just barely. The rest of the class tittered. Em’s footfalls stopped, she had reached the front of the classroom.
“And...” I heard the click, click, click of the oven timer on Mr. Greer’s desk as he twisted it into place. “Go!”
“Females” Em began I her strong hard voice, “make up thirty-nine percent of people who play interactive video games, and yet only a small fraction of the games created by the estimated thirty-five billion dollar worldwide industry is geared toward female players.” She paused, ad I settled back in my seat, smiling a little. So this was the topic that Em’s oral piece was on: video games, and girls. This was going to be interesting.
Not that I have a huge thing for girls. I don’t, well except for Em, but she doesn’t know that. God, I she knew that, I might just have to kill myself. Because to Em, I'm just this guy who showed up in her apartment building one day and was surprised that she, a girl, was playing Journeyquest. So then, we started playing it together, and watching surgery shows on the discovery channel. To Em, I'm just the guy she watches people’s almost dead bodies get chopped up with. I'm pretty sure I stopped smiling right about then.
“A study,” she went on "by the Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA showed that the percentage of computer degrees granted to women has now dropped to an all time low of less than thirty percent. Computer science is the only field in which women's participation is actually decreasing over time. Many researchers believe this is due to our educational system failing to engage girls in the sciences-particularly computer science-during the middle school years,"
I heard a light snore coming from the front of the front of the classroom. In surprise, I peeked through my eyelids. It was Mr. Greer. This was actually kind of humorous if you thought about it.
“So what can be done to keep girls interested in gaming," I went on, desperately, "which studies show increases problem-solving and strategic abilities, and also helps develop social interaction skills and cooperative play?" she paused again, then sighed. It wasn’t an “oh this sucks” sigh, because I knew Em didn’t think computer games sucked. It was more of a “well this is going to be fun” sigh. I was a little bit confused. That is until she said: "Well, I could strip off my clothes and reveal to you that under my jeans and sweatshirt I'm actually wearing a tank top and short-shorts, much like the Lara Croft from Tomb Raider…only mine are flame retardant and covered in glow-in-the-dark dinosaur stickers."
I don’t think anyone even noticed the wild tangent Em was going off on. If they did, they didn’t say anything. And Mr. Greer’s snores were still wafting back from the front of the classroom. I'm not sure anyone even moved, although I didn't open my eye to see. I just pressed my lips together. Hard. To keep from laughing. If you were standing at the front of the classroom like Em was, you wouldn’t have noticed my movement. Even if she had been looking at me, which I knew she wasn’t.
"I know what you're thinking, glow-in-the-dark dinosaur stickers are so last year. But I think they add a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to the whole ensemble. It's true short-shorts are uncomfortable under jeans and hard to get off in the ladies' room, but they make the twin thigh-holsters in which I hold my high-caliber pistols so easy to get to…."
If the oven timer hadn’t dinged at that very moment and cut her off, I swear I would have burst out laughing and woken everyone up. And then I would have had to explain to her after class why I had been pretending to sleep through her presentation; which would not have been so good, considering that I didn’t really know why I was. Except when I pretended to sleep through her presentations, I could hang on every word she said without it looking like I was hanging on every word she said. Plus, when I didn’t, I never got to hear anything interesting about glow-in-the-dark dinosaur stickers. Not that what Em says when I'm not pretending to be asleep isn't totally interesting too, just the stuff that she says when I am? Yeah, it's usually more interesting. I wonder if that signifies something.
“Thank you Em,” said Mr. Greer, roused by the oven timer. “That was very persuasive.”
“No, Mr. Greer,” she said with a big smile. “Thank you.” Then she turned her back on him, and, still smiling, headed back towards her seat, a few rows in front of mine and one isle to the right. Quickly I snapped my eyes shut again. I hope she hadn’t noticed I’d had them open.
“Now who do we have next?” Mr. Greer asked, a little dazedly. “Oh, yes. Whitney Robertson?” he smiled “You're up.” I opened my eyes to squint at Whiney, just as she snapped her little make-up thingy shut, and unfolding her long legs from under her desk, sauntered up to the front of the classroom with a cheerful “here goes nothing” and a flip of her long blonde hair. I yawned, leaned back in my chair and closed m eyes again. I could go to sleep for real now. Whitney was the shallowest person I had ever met. If I didn’t sleep through it, her persuasive oral piece would probably be considered the most wasted two minutes of my life so far. I blocked out her annoying high-pitched voice and proceeded to dose off. I slept through the entire rest of the lesson and was only aroused by the long loud ring of the bell.
“Thanks to you to” I heard Em saying in a very sarcastic voice, I realized to late, to me. “ You were a big help back there.”
“Dude, I said, rubbing my eyes. Yes, I know, I’ve taken to calling her dude; it makes it a lot easier to not accidentally blurt out my feelings for her. Because nothing ruins a boy-girl friendship more than the guy going up to the girl and telling her how much he's in love with her, and then her saying in this really fakey controlled voice “lets just be friends.” But they can ever be friends again, because deep down, however much she tries to forget, she knows the guy loves her. Anyway, that’s why I call her dude. “I heard every word you said.” And it's not like I don’t know that that’s exactly how Em would react. Because that’s just how Em is.
“Oh, really?” she raised a skeptical eyebrow “What was my assigned topic again?”
“I'm not really sure” I lied, “but I know it had something to do with short-shorts. And glow-in-the-dark dinosaur stickers.”
Slowly, she shook her head, picked up her books, and left for Spanish, leaving me standing there, staring after her.

#2 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

oops, sorry i copied and pasted parts of her speech from the excerpt on meg's website an forgot to delete the "i went on" sorry!
i meant it to say "she went on"

#3 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

Ooooo. I've always wanted to see Christopher's POV. I love him!!! And I really love your writing. It flows really well and makes it interesting to read. Apart from the occasional typo, the only CC I have is this: Paragraphing. I'm not sure if you know how to do it, but it makes it a lot easier on the eyes, to read. You got it nearly right, but I'd put spaces in between them. I didn't do it for my first story on here either, but I first noticed it and hit myself for it. For example:

Instead of this:

"Emerson Watts." Called Mr. Greer. I began to pay attention immediately. Not that I actually opened my eyes; I just started listening.
“Here!” Em said in a slightly surprised voice. She hadn’t been paying attention either, I could tell.
“Em,” Mr. Greer said. Then he yawned, you could hear it all the way across the classroom. “I wasn’t calling roll. It's time to give the class you're two minute persuasive oral piece. Were going in reverse alphabetical order, remember?”
Oh, right. Em slid out of chair and began to walk towards the front of the classroom. I could hear her Converse on the wood floor, but just barely. The rest of the class tittered. Em’s footfalls stopped, she had reached the front of the classroom.

Do it like this:

Do you get what I mean? It's just a little easier to read.

But apart from that, I LOVE IT!!!!! I'll be wait for the next update!!

Love Melissa :heartbeat:

#4 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Do me a favour pleaasse: writee moree!

#5 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

cant post today (have to finish a HUGE art project for school,) but i'll try to finish the next chapter soon ^_^

#6 mychemro*kiss*

mychemro*kiss*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

*NEW READER*

Excellent-tay! I love Christopher tooo!

He's been a favorite of mine and I'm really excited to see his character.

JessJess

#7 cats4ever

cats4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

*New reader!*
I loved your update.

Alison

I read Being Nikki already. (I thought about doing his side back when I still had it. Since no one has like done it before. Except for maybe one two... :P

#8 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

Ive been working on the next chapter, but i wont be able to post for a while because im going to montana to go canoeing for a week. With no showers. Yippee. (sarcasm) Anyway, i will be able to post chapter 2 when i get back, which should be monday.

**k**

#9 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:16 AM

^No problem!

Update when you get back!

#10 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

Update soon! *New Reader*

I love it!

#11 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

okay, im back from my canoe trip. i had to write the whole chapter on my notebook though, so i still have to type it up. i'll post i tomorrow.

#12 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

oh, im so sorry, i forgot, my power is off from 8 to 8 today for some work thing on the power lines. I'll try to see if i can get chapter 2 up after it comes back on, but im not making any promises.

**k**

#13 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

^That's okay. Did you have a nice trip?

Update when you can!

#14 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

so, it seems the universe has conspired against me. but I have finally managed to finish chapter 2. so here it is!

Chapter 2

Ring!!!Ring!!!Ring!!! I rubbed my eyes and reached for my cell on my bedside table,

“Hello?” I said somewhat groggily into it.

“Christopher?” Em’s voice came sharp and clear from across the phone.

“Why are you calling me at eight in the morning on a Saturday? You know I like to sleep in on Saturdays.”

“Frida wants to go to the Stark mega store grand opening today an my mom says I have to come too, you in?”

Of course I was in, even if I am ethically opposed to Stark mega stores, they have this new hand-held gaming system with a screen big enough to actually see. Better yet, it was only like eighty bucks.

“Yeah, I'm in, what time are you leaving?”

“Like half an hour, Frida wants to get there early to get the autograph of her latest hero.”

“Okay.” I rolled out of bed just as Em ended the call.

Which was how by eight forty-five on a Saturday morning, I was out of bed, and standing in the freezing sleet outside of a Stark mega store, waiting for it to open at nine. It wouldn’t have been that bad, except for the fact that about thirty billion other people had had the same idea Frida had, so we were squashed in with all of them. There was hardly enough room to think, let alone breathe. Then finally, they were letting us in, and Frida was ushering us up to a huge temporary stage had been set up for her latest hero to perform on.

He wasn’t actually that bad, listening to him. Not something I'd listen to on a regular basis or anything, but not bad. He had an okay voice, and if he wrote his own songs, a reasonable talent at that too. I would actually have said that I wasn’t having that bad of a time, that is until Frida herded us to the interminably long line to get her CD signed and all there was to do was wait.

“He’s not looking at you,” I heard Em assure her little sister. Reffering to the singer who Frida was so anxious to sign her CD, I think his name was Gabriel.

“Yes he is.” Frida insisted, smoothing her hair, and waiving at him “He's looking right at me!”

“No,” I said, taking a bite out of a Stark brand cookie I'd snagged from one of the free snack station things. “He's looking at her.” I pointed to a huge flat screen TV hanging over our heads, on which, Nikki Howard, the model of the moment, was dancing to the loud music filling the store.

There were several other plasma’s hanging through out the store, all with Nikki Howard, in various types of underwear and skimpy dresses, on hot, neon backgrounds. “He's probably trying to see if she’s got anything on under that.” I joked; meaning the flimsy looking dress the model was wearing in the TV hanging above us.

Frida looked as if I'd wounded her deeply “Gabriel doesn’t think of women as sex objects,” she said scornfully “I know. I read it in is interview with cosmoGIRL! He respects women with brains.”

Em began to choke on the free sample of Stark cola shed been gulping (It was admittedly nasty, but being the only thing to drink (heaven forbid that a Stark Mega Store should actually have a drinking fountain) we had to consume it anyway.) presumably at the suggestion that Nikki Howard had a brain. Frida caught her meaning right away.

“She does!” she cried. “What other seventeen year old do you know who’s gotten as many modeling and product endorsment contracts as Nikki has? And she started with nothing – NOTHING. Seriously, how could you not know that? Don’t you people do anything but pay that stupid video game?”

That was an unfair statement to say the least. Because

a] Jouneyquest is a computer game, not a video game

And b] Em and I also watch surgery shows, we do not just “play that stupid computer game.” But I didn’t say that, because that’s just not the kid of thing you say to you're best friends little sister. Even if she is acting really annoying. I don’t even think Em would have minded, judging by the look on her face, but I kept my mouth shut just in case.

“Besides you guys,” Frida continued, a little peevishly. Snapping a picture with her camera phone. “Gabriel’s deeply spiritual, and intellectual, just like I am.” Em choked on another sample of Stark cola. Then couldn’t stop coughing. “I am!” Frida was insisting. “Just because I'm not a math and science dork like some people...besides, Gabriel says what matters is the size of a woman’s heart, not her bra.”

“Right,” Em said sarcastically. Or maybe it was all that Stark cola she’d had to drink. It had to be giving her a stomachache. “I'm sure Gabriel’d rather be with a total dog that Nikki Howard.”

“I'm not a total dog!” Frida said, looking hurt.

“Frida,” Em cried, her mouth hanging open. “I didn’t mean you!” But even as she said it, I knew it was to late. Frida's feelings were already hurt.

“Maybe you think of yourself that way,” Frida was whining. “But don’t drag me down to you're level, Em. At least I make an effort.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Em looked outraged, and to tell you the truth, I didn’t blame her.

“Well look at you.” She looked at herself. I did too. She dint look bad, she just looked like Em: Brown hair, pulled back into a ponytail, brown eyes, now looking a little angry, jeans, a blue hoodie with YALE printed across the chest in grey and black letters, (I guess shed gotten it from her dad) and black converse with doodling all across the toes.

“You look like a guy,” Frida complained, looking Em up and down. “I mean maybe you have a figure, but it's not like anyone could tell, thanks to how baggy you wear you're cloths. And have you even tried to do anything with you're hair except throw it back in a scrunchie? Which, by the way, is totally two thousand two. At least I try to look nice.” I thought this was a little harsh, because Em did look nice, she was no Nikki Howard, but she looked like Em Watts was supposed to look.

“Gosh, I'm sorry,” Em replied, clearly stung. “I didn’t know I was supposed to conform to some random standard of beauty dictated by some tween queen fashion model.”

I found this funny for some reason, I wasn’t sure why, but I snorted with laughter anyway. “Tween queen,” I said, in-between laughs “good one. Anyway, I think Em looks-”...Wait, what was I doing? I think Em looks? What could I do now? The words were already out of my mouth, and I couldn’t take them back! I settled for, “fine, and at least she’s not some big plastic phony like her.” I nodded to the plasma screen still showing Nikki Howard, dancing in her ridiculously small dress and silver stilettos.

“Yeah,” Em said, looking pleased for some reason, and shooting Frida a triumphant look. But Frida didn’t even seem to notice her. She was to busy defending her idol.

“For your information,” she shot at us. “Nikki Howard has taken the fashion and beauty industry by storm. She’s one of the youngest models ever to have done so. Nikki and her friends-“

“Oh, here we go.” Em rolled her eyes. “Another lecture on the F.O.N.s” I was confused; what was an F.O.N? But when I voiced this thought, Em just smiled.

“Friend of Nikki’s.” she explained. Almost, if I wasn’t mistaken, happily. “According to last months cosmoGIRL!, she runs with a whole posse of F.F.B.F.s.”

This explanation only served to confuse me more. “What’s an F.F.B.F.?” I asked.

“You know,” Em said, sounding amused. “People who are in the media all the time, but they’re only famous for being famous. They’ve never done anything to get famous – they don’t actually have any talent – They’re usually rich peoples kids, like Nikki Howard’s on again off boyfriend Brandon Stark,” She lowered her voice and held an invisible microphone to her mouth to look like a TV newswoman. “Nineteen year old son of billionaire mega store owner Robert Stark. Or celebutants, like Tim Collins’s seventeen-year-old daughter, Lulu. The Tim Collins, who directed the journeyquest movie.”

My jaw drooped, because as much as I love journeyquest, I can't make excuses for the movie “And completely ruined it?” I asked.

“That’d be the one,” Em said with a little smirk. Huh, I didn’t even know Em could smirk. Well, you learn something new every day. “Lulus an F.O.N.”

“Why do you guys have to be so mean?” Frida asked, “it's like, everything fun, you look down on.”

“That’s not true.” I said, idly crumpling the bag that had housed the cookie I'd just finished, and stuffing it in a pocket. “We don’t look down on journeyquest, well the game. The movie freaking sucked.”

Frida didn’t look like she liked that answer, though. “Besides that stupid computer game.” She scowled.

“Music.” Em said innocently, but obviously taunting. “I like music.”

“Oh, right.” Frida said with a little frown. “Name one popular musician you listen to. And don’t say any of that horrible metal crap that Christopher likes either.” I opened my mouth to object to her extremely unfair assumption about heavy metal. But before I could sat anything, Em went:

“One popular musician? Fine...how about Tchaikovsky?”

“Nice one.” I said with a laugh. That was one of the things I liked best about Em; she made me laugh. All the time. “Mahler. He's good too.”

“Too dower,” Em disagreed, “Beethoven.”

“That dude is rad.” I said, still laughing, and raising my fists with the thumbs and pinkies upward. “Beethoven rules my world!”

“Oh god.” Frida said, apparently in reference to my Beethoven remark, and lowered her head into her hands.

“Come on Free,” Em said, still giggling, and elbowing her jokingly. “We’re not that embarrassing, are we?”

“Yes,” Frida said. She looked like she was in pain. “You are. You really are. Don’t you guys realize that you look down on everything normal people like? Like Nikki Howard and her friends-”

Ironically, just as Frida was saying thins, Nikki Howard appeared right behind her, along with her whole posse of F.O.N.s as Em had called them. But Frida just kept going. She hadn’t even noticed her. Which was sort of funny, considering that everyone else on the entire floor turned to look at Nikki; She wasn’t exactly inconspicuous.

“You’re always going on about feminism, Em. Well, do you really think that Nikki Howard would have gotten where she is today – the face of Stark, currently one of the highest earning models – if she wasn’t a feminist?”

“Uh,” Em said, obviously taken aback. I was too. Nikki Howard? A feminist? This was a new one.

“And” Frida went on. “I don’t even see how you can call yourself a feminist, Em, when you are so totally mean about a member of your own sex. I mean Nikki’s just a girl, like you are.”

But as Nikki approached us with her little click in tow, I could see that even though she may have been just a girl, she was definitely not like Em. For one there was the obvious; she was a model: so unattainably gorgeous that she was hard to stop looking at. For another, I'm pretty sure Em had a few more IQ points. Nikki Howard had probably dropped out of school her freshman year if not earlier.

It was, admittedly, hard to look away. I just sort of stood there, transfixed, as Frida finally realized that her idol was within autographing distance. “Omigodomigodomigod.” She said, waiving the hand that wasn’t clutching her cell phone in front of her face, fanning herself. “Omigod, its her. It's her. It's HER!”

“I don’t know what you're talking about, Free. That Gabriel guy might be sensitive and all, but he is totally staring at her chest.” I said, trying to look away from that particular point myself. And Failing

“He wouldn’t be the only one doing that.” Em said, a little testily. Meaning me, I realized. I felt myself turn bright red, and I tried to look away. I really did. But it was like I was hypnotized. And it was totally embarrassing.

“Omigod you guys,” Frida said, clutching her sisters arm “Lulu Collins is with her!” she pointed a shaking finger to a girl behind Nikki, clutching her sidekick, and chewing bright pink gum that you could smell all the way across the room. This was, apparently, the daughter of the famous Tim Collins, who directed the journeyquest movie. Which sucked. “I have to get their autographs. I have to!” And almost like she was in a trance herself, Frida stepped out of the line leading to the table that Gabriel Luna was sitting at, and started to walk towards Nikki and Lulu. Under normal circumstances, I'm sure Em would have reached out to pull her back. But it turned out that we had finally arrived at Gabriel’s table, and Em was as transfixed by him, as I had been by Nikki a moment before. If I had been having a crappy time before this, it was nothing to how I felt now, which was completely crushed and depressed. Definitely not planning any more laughing rockers salutes to Beethoven.

"Frida.” She was saying, still staring at Gabriel (to my everlasting disappointment) “Uh, Frida?” Finally, she turned to look at the place where her sister used to be standing in line. And apparently realizing that she had moved out of dragging back distance, just called desperately after her “Frida?”

This was when Gabriel (who, as I mentioned before, as staring at Nikki's chest) finally ripped his gaze away from her, and realized that there was someone standing in front of him. Em Noticed this at the same time I did, and slowly pivoted on the spot to say “Um, hi.” In a shy voice. Which was weird, because Em is never shy when it comes to boys. But apparently, Gabriel Luna was the exception.

“Hi,” Gabriel replied with a smile. I have to tell you, even though, a minute ago, I thought he was all right, at that moment, there was no one in the world who I hated as much as Gabriel Luna. I guess that wasn’t fair; Gabriel had never done anything t me. But just the way Em reacted to that smile was enough to make me wish he had never been born.

She just sort of stood there, her mouth hanging open, like she was looking at a Greek god or something, long enough for Gabriel to start looking a little uncomfortable. “What’s you're name then?” He asked, almost as if he actually cared.

"Um,” Em said, looking confused. And for Frida. Where was Frida anyway? I looked around, and saw her still walking slowly towards Nikki and her entourage, autographing pen and pad in hand. I was just about to move out of the line to haul her back, when Em turned around, apparently still looking for Frida, and the CD she had for Gabriel to signed, and smashed into me.

“Uh, Em?” I said, “Look.” And pointed at Frida. Because just as I said it, a protester (oh, did I mention that there were protesters at this event? Well there were. They had been hitting all the plasma screens with different colored paintballs across Nikki’s boob area. It was actually kind of comical, considering that no one was being harmed, except maybe the cleanup staff. But what the heck? They were getting paid.) Pulled out a paintball gun of his own and shot a yellow paintball straight at the TV directly over Fridas head as she stretched out her pad and pen for an autograph from Nikki. But unlike the countless other paintball incidents across the store, one of the wires holding this TV to the open ductwork of the ceiling snapped. Then another.

“Frida! Move!” Em shouted, panic in her voice, and ran forward, pushing her sister out of the way of the falling TV, which, with one last audible snap, came crashing down on her.

Every head on the floor turned towards Em, lying on the floor, half covered with the TV. And every conversation stopped. Then, Nikki passed out. I'm not even kidding, right on the hard plastic, mega store floor. But to tell you the truth, I hardly even noticed. I ran over to Em, just as Gabriel rushed over to Nikki. Hah, so much for him being so sensitive. He runs to the girl who faints, rather than the girl who gets crushed by a TV.

“Em!” I squatted down next to her head. “Em, wake up!” Frida was standing next to me, her hands, still clutching the pad of paper and pen, were pressed over her mouth in horror. She wasn’t crying. Neither was I, I guess we hadn’t quite registered the situation yet.

But the paramedics sure did. They were all over Em and Nikki like flies on honey. “Excuse me young man,” One of them said. He was wheeling over a gurney “I'm going to have to ask you to move.”

“But-”

“Please young man, she needs immediate attention.”

I nodded, and moved out of his way, over to Frida. “You might want to call you're parents.” I said in a shaking voice.

Frida just flipped open her cell phone and began dialing, without a word to me.
The paramedics had lifted Em up onto the Gurney, and after a short conversation with Frida, and her parents on the phone, they wheeled her out of the room. She was already hooked up to a breathing machine.

I waited till I couldn’t see her anymore. Then I turned and walked out of the store. There wasn’t anything for me there. Not anymore.

**k**

p.s. yes, the trip was great. thanks so much for asking! ^_^

#15 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:31 AM

^I'm glad!

The update was great! I really loved it!! I haven't read Airhead in awhile, so it was nice to go over the events that happened, let alone reading it from Christopher's POV. I love Christopher. Plus, there is ages in between nowish and when Em goes back to school as Nikki (where she sees Christopher again). I wonder what's going to happen to Christopher in that time.

UPDATE SOON!!

#16 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

Ahhhhh this is amazing! I can't wait to read anymore! You're doing a great job!

Great job capturing Christopher staring at Nikki, and being jealous of Gabriel! Love it!

Update soon!

#17 Suze&Em

Suze&Em

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

i know! thts exactly what i was thinking. its great by the way princess missy. update soon!

#18 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:12 AM

^I know it is. ktbp3 (I'm really sorry. I still don't know your name) is a really good writer.

UPDATE SOON!!

#19 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

sorry for the delays. ive been really busy getting ready for graduation. EEEEEEEEEEEP

ok, its tomorrow, so i should have something posted by tomorrow night.

thanks for all the support!

**kate**

#20 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

Can't wait to read it!

Congratulations on graduation, Kate! =)

#21 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

Ooo. Graduation. Scary. Naa, you'll be fine.

Update when you can!

#22 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Im baaaaaack! sorry it took so long, and im sorry its so short, but here it is.........

Chapter 3

Home 9:30 pm

I leaned back in my computer chair. Journeyquest, level 48 complete. Somehow though, it didn’t seem like that much of an accomplishment. Em was in the hospital, probably on life support, though I didn’t know for sure; only her parents and sister were aloud to see her.

They had promised to call as soon as there was ant news. But how long would that be? Minutes? Hours? Days?

What if I never saw Em again? There were so many things I would have said I f I hadn’t been such a wimp. All I could do was kick myself for not telling her sooner. She might die!

No. I wasn’t going to think like that. Positive thoughts, that’s what I needed, positive thoughts. I had just finished level 48 in journeyquest. That was positive. Em and I had been trying to get past level 46 forever.

But there it was again: “Em and I.” she wasn’t, I realized, just some girl I’d had a crush on. Em was a part of my life. A major part. I guess I had just never realized how major until it might be too late. And I couldn’t just let go!

But, I told myself, I wouldn’t have to. She wasn’t going to die. She was going to be fine! She might have to be in the hospital for a while, and in some casts for even longer. But she would be okay eventually. Right? RIGHT?

God, this wasn’t working at all. I made my bed, like my dad is always nagging me to do, and I had forgotten this morning because of my excitement. Yeah, I know. I was excited. Boy was I ever in denial. I cleaned my room. I even read one of the old Seattle P.I‘s my dad has lying around the apartment, and I don’t especially care about the breaking news in Seattle. My dad would be switching over our subscription to the Seattle Times as soon as the P.I went out of business. I hoped they had better comics. But none of it was any good; I couldn’t stop thinking about Em. Every Two minutes or so, my eyes would dart over to the phone, hanging on the wall, as if willing it to ring. I didn’t even care what kind of news I got, as long as it was news. This waiting was torture.

Okay, that’s probably not true. I wanted the phone to ring. And I wanted to pick it up. And I wanted the conversation to go like this:

Me: (in a cool, composed voice) Hello?

Em’s Mom: (in the sort of stressed way that sounds like she’s just getting over a traumatic experience) Christopher? Hi, it's me Karen.

Me: (still composed) Oh, Hi! (now sounding concerned) is there any news about Em?

Em’s Mom: Yes, actually. The doctor says she’s going to have to go through some physical therapy, but after that, she’s going to be fine.

Me: (relieved) Oh, that’s great news! Thanks for calling! And tell Em, get well soon!

Em’s Mom: Yeah, I will. Bye Christopher!

Me: (happily) Bye!

That’s how it was supposed to go. Saccharine, I know, but at least it has a happy ending. Here’s what happened instead:

Me: Hello?! (in a slightly panicked voice)

Some Random Girl: Christopher? Is that you?

Me: (confused, and still a little panicky. A weird combination, let me tell you) Uh, yeah. Who are you?

Random Girl: (sounding a little hurt that I didn’t recognize her voice. But, hello! I'm under a great amount of emotional stress here!) Mckayla Dinoffrio. I'm in you're public speaking class.

Me: (really confused now) Okay, how did you get my number?

Mckayla: (sounding like she just got accused of murder) it was in the school directory.

Me: Um, right. Look, Mckayla? This is a sort of bad time. I'm waiting for a really important call... so could you make it quick

Mckayla: Um, Okay. I was wondering –

My call waiting went off.

Me: Mckayla? That’s my call waiting, could you hang on just a second?

Mckayla: (obviously wishing she hadn’t called me) Okay.

I pressed the receiver just a Mckayla said “But I-

Me: Hello?

Em's Mom: (not exactly in the tone of voice I'd been expecting – okay hoping – she would use.) Christopher? It's Karen, Em’s mom. (actually, I didn’t really know what to make of her voice. It was like she was relived, and sad, and in shock, all at the same time.)

Me: (not in the voice I'd been hoping I would use) How's Em? Is she okay? Is-

Em’s Mom: (cutting me off in her still weird voice) Actually, Christopher, Em... well, she didn’t make it.

There were about five seconds of complete silence over the phone. Then I said, in a completely shocked voice

“What?!”

“She passed away about half an hour ago.” Em’s mom explained. Well, I guess I knew why her voice sounded so weird now. But actually, I'm not so sure what she can have to feel relieved about.

“Oh,” was all I could say in a very small voice. Well thanks for letting me know. Bye.” Then I clicked the off button, only to be transferred back to Mckayla. Great. This was exactly what I wanted. To talk to Mckayla Dinoffrio: my schools Business club president, 10 seconds after I find out my best friend is dead.

Like not.

But it was too late. Mckayla must have heard me breathing or something, because she went “Christopher? Is that you? Finally!”

“Yeah,” I said glumly. “What is it Mckayla?”

"Well I was – wait what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I lied. “I just got some really bad news is all. I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Is it about that Em girl you hang around with all the time?” She said noisily. “She got crushed by a plasma screen TV right? I saw it on CNN!”

“Uh, I gotta go.” I said queasily. She saw it on CNN? Just the thought made me have to swallow back vomit.

“Wait!” she called “I need the homework for -”

But I hung up on her. And, throwing the phone onto the pile of newspapers that covers the floor, ran to my room where, I'm not going to lie, however much I might want to deny the fact. I cried myself to sleep.

please comment :icon_sunny: and i will update as soon as i can

next chapter: funeral, and haircut!!!!!!

**kate**

#23 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

The update was wonderful Really amazing. I always wanted to know how Em's parents told Christopher that she was dead. That must have been hard. Poor Christopher :(

I'm really looking forward to the next update. It's going to be sad, but really exciting to see his POV on things that happen when we don't see them.

Update soon!!!

#24 Suze&Em

Suze&Em

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

love it update soon!

#25 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

Gosh, that was kind of unsensitive to be like. Oh, that em girl? Even when he was hanging up she still asked for her homework. She needs to just get a clue.
-Kayli ;-)

#26 heartlockette

heartlockette

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

i love it! i'm really looking forward to the next update !

#27 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Great job! I agree. This was so sad! Poor Christopher! Just reading it made me want to cry.

Also, McKayla was definitely rude! But of course, I'm not McKayla's biggest fan, so I almost expect that out of her....

#28 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

sorry its been forever, but here's chapter 4

Chapter 4

"You’re done!" Cried the chipper stylist, pushing some of her thick blond hair behind an ear and staring at my reflection in the mirror hanging in front of us. "What you think?"

I thought about the question. I really did, but I just couldn't come up with an answer. What did I think? And not just about the haircut, but about life in general? What about Em's memorial surface? Should even go?

"I think maybe, I shoudnt go." I said.

"You shouldn't... Go? Go where? The hairstylist blinked her huge mascara rimmed eyes at me. Wow. She seriously had to be wearing contacts or something. Those things were almost purple!

"The funeral," I answered with a sigh "I mean memorial surface. That's why I got my hair cut. My dad always wanted me to, and I thought it would be a good way to honor her, you know? Look my best at the funeral. But now I'm wondering what's the point? It's not like she's going to be there. Not really. She'll never know. And even if she did, I doubt she'd even care. I don't even think I should go anymore.”

"Who's she?" Asked the stylist innocently, hopping onto the stool next to me. From her nametag, I could tell her name was Allison. She looked like an Allison. Her parents had done a good job.

"Em." I said, "She's my girlfriend. I mean she's my best friend. I mean she was my best friend. She's not anymore, she’s --" I couldnt bring myself to finish the sentence. But Allison did it for me. "Dead." She said, in a sad, singsong voice.

"Yeah," I said, letting the words sink in "dead." And that's when it happened. I started to cry. I hadn't cried since the first night I found out what happened. It was like I brushed it off as a bad dream. But hearing someone say it out loud. Even if she didn't know Em, Even if they'd never met. Made it real. Em was dead. She was coming back. She was gone. And I had loved her. I had never acknowledged this. Not even to myself. I knew I liked Em. And more than just his best friends. But I had never in a million years thought the words "I love Emerson Watts." But I did then. Did I ever. And there was nothing I could do about it. Not anymore. I cried quietly, not making any noise. Allison tried to comfort me, patting me on the shoulder from time to time and saying things like "It's all right." and "I know how you feel."

It was nice of her really; especially for someone I'd only just met. Except she was lying. She didn't know how I felt, and it wasn't going to be all right.

When it was done crying, Allison looked at me for a little while. I highly doubt she had people like me come in every day. I mean seriously, I just poured my soul to her. Like she was some kind of psychiatrist. And then I start weeping hysterically. I don't think I would classify myself as the normal client. But it didn't seem to bother her, because all she said was "you must have really loved her." In that weirdly childlike, singsong voice.

"Yeah," I said. My voice wasn't all singsong. At the moment it was mostly wet sounding from all the crying. "I really did."

"Well then you should totally go to her funeral." She said, handing me a tissue.

I tore my gaze away from the blow dryer I had been staring at to take it. "Why?"

"Well," she said, hopping down from the stool to sweep up what was left of my long blonde hair from the floor. "If you didn't, it just wouldn't be right, you know?"

I didn't know, and apparently let it show my face, because she went on with a little shrug "well, you love this girl, right?" I nodded. "Then, not going to her funeral would be like standing her up at prom. That happened to me: it was not pretty." She shook her head at the memory. "Anyway," she said, apparently coming back to reality. "This would be exactly like that, except 10 times worse! Not going to this girl's funeral will be like, a major diss, even if she would never know. Her parents would, and her friends would, and if she has any siblings they would too. If you love her as much as it looks like you do, I don't know how you could live with him yourself."

I blinked at her.

"Like standing her up at prom." I repeated slowly.

"Yeah," she said, solemnly. "Only worse. Way worse."

"Okay," I said, sliding uncomfortably off the stool. "Well thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it."

"Any time," Allison smiled at me. "I'm Alison by the way. Allison Porter." She held out a hand.

"Christopher Maloney." I introduced myself as I shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you Christopher. And, if you need any more advice, I'm here 3 to 5 Monday through Friday at 10 to 6 on the weekends."

"Thanks for the offer," I said a little hesitantly, I mean what was wrong with this girl? Standing her up to prom? How clueless can you get? "Think I'll be good."

"Oh, okay." Allison said sadly "well you can pay at the front desk. Have a nice day!"

"I'll try." I replied as I walked to the front of the store, extracting my wallet from a pocket of my jeans "thanks for the haircut."

"You're welcome!" She called after me, as I walked out into the rain, the little bell on the door tinkling as I opened it.

I'll try to post more often. It should be easier now that i have my handie dandie voice recognition software :icon_sunny:

hugs and kisses
**kate**

#29 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Yay! You're back! I was wondering when you were going to update again.

I really enjoyed it, even though it was sad as well. I never really thought about Christopher's pain and how he felt after Em died. I really liked how you put in that, at first, he didn't want to go to the funeral. That added personality. And made me really sad :(

UPDATE SOON!!

#30 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

This was like the best Airhead story ever!
I can't wait for the chapter where Nikki joins TAHS and when Christopher finds out Em is ok...
:)
Update soon
P.S Where did u get your Voice Reg. Software - mines really rubbish so I can't use it, I'm thinking of buying a new one
emz

#31 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

This was like the best Airhead story ever!
I can't wait for the chapter where Nikki joins TAHS and when Christopher finds out Em is ok...
Update soon
P.S Where did u get your Voice Reg. Software - mines really rubbish so I can't use it, I'm thinking of buying a new one
emz

its called macspeech dictate, obviously, that isn't very helpfull if you dont have a mac

but i hope it helped.

**katie**

#32 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

I dont have a mac but im thinking of getting one so thanks =)
Please update soon if you can- amazin story!

#33 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

thanks!

**katie**

#34 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

Great story,
Have u read Being Nikki?

#35 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

are you kidding? of course!

**katie**

#36 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

lol
Did you like Airhead or Being Nikki better?

#37 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

“Like half an hour, Frida wants to get there early to get the autograph of her latest hero.”

“Okay.” I rolled out of bed just as Em ended the call.

Great writing. Nikki Howard as a roll model? Wow. Frida is deluded. (after what happened in Being Nikki about real Nikki)
:o
Lol
Can't wait for next chapter.

#38 cats4ever

cats4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

Pretty awesome. Especially since you used my name! That's cool. (My last name isn't Porter, though. Not that I'm going to tell you what my real last name is.)

Alison

#39 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Please read my fic "Why didn't you tell me?"

#40 ktbp3

ktbp3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

Soooo, its been a few months, hasn't it? :blush: im feeling really ashamed right now, and im really really sorry, but i do have another chapter.

Chapter 5

It was raining. Typical funeral weather. I had to drag myself out of bed that morning. I had this sense of foreboding. I mean, I already knew the day wasn’t going to go well. I was going to Em’s funeral for god’s sake. But seeing the dreariness just made me want to curl up in my bed and try not to think about anything. The only real reason I got up was because my dad told me if I didn’t, there would be consequences. I’m usually not that much of a pushover, but I really couldn’t face consequences today on top of everything else.
I had to wear one of my dad’s old suits. He was real excited about the whole thing. He had been trying to get me out of the house ever since Em died. I had never really gone out of the house before she died of course, but now it was apparently a sign of depression. He was telling me how great my new haircut looked, and how I should really go visit my cousin Felix some time. He’s on house arrest so he doesn’t get that much human interaction.

The funeral was in central park. It was an okay service; everyone made speeches, even Frida, which surprised me greatly. And they had flowers, and a picture and stuff, and they scattered her ashes in the park. The ash got caught in the rain, and sort of stuck to the grass in clumps. That was all that was left of Em, I realized, as I halfheartedly listened to an overly emotional monologue from a particularly weepy cousin. Just some wet clumps of ash, stuck to the grass in central park. A soggy reminder of what might have been. Wow, that was really sappy. See what this has done to me? I have turned into a sap!

I sat in the park after everyone had left. Even my dad had gone. I told him I’d catch the subway home. I'm not sure he believed me, but he left anyway. I was clutching the picture of Em they had used for the service. It was this year’s school picture. She had made big deal at the time about how ugly she looked in it. She had refused to let her parents buy copies. I guess they had anyway. She couldn’t say no now. She was smiling back at me like she had no idea about anything; she was just a carefree sixteen-year-old, still trying to figure out the world. And she didn’t. Have any idea, I mean. Probably the last thing she remembered was being worried about her sister. It’s sort of ironic. She and Frida couldn’t get along for even one second out of fourteen years, and the last thing Em ever does is to try to help her. Blood really does run deeper than water I guess.

Imagine what would have happened if Em hadn’t gone to that opening with Frida. This might be her funeral right know instead of Em’s. And imagine what would have happened if Stark Megastore had tightened that bolt into the ceiling just a little bit tighter. Or used just a bit sturdier of a cable. I would probably be sitting around with Em right now and watching a surgery show, eating cheeto’s that we ahs smuggled into my apartment, and laughing our buts off at each other. No ones funeral would have been today.

This was all Stark’s Fault. Stark had killed Em. They were to blame. Not anybody else. And they were going to pay. Stark Megastore was going down. I was going to bring the down. And I knew just the pimply fourteen-year-old to help me do it. I stood up, still clasping Em’s picture in my hand, and began to walk towards the subway station. I had a cousin to call on.

hope you enjoy it. ill try to post more often

**Kati**

#41 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

That's okay! I'm glad you're back though :P

I loved the update. It was so sad (although we know where Em really is). I can't wait to see what Chris does and how he gets his cousin to help. I really want to see his reaction to the dinosaur glow-in-the-dark stickers too.

Have you thought about doing this for Being Nikki too? Cause 1) I think you'd do a really good job and 2) I really want to read it from Christopher's POV.

UPDATE SOON!!

#42 AwesomeNiks

AwesomeNiks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

Agreed! Glad you're back! I can't wait to read more! :D

#43 SmileyFace

SmileyFace

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hey, new reader here. (:
DO POST MORE! :D The story's A M A Z I N G. :P

#44 bookwormwriter98

bookwormwriter98

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

i'm not much for the fan fiction stuff, but this? its awesome. you must keep it coming. and you showed their relationship wonderfully.
god, i so am in love with christopher. its almost sad. because in truth, i am exactly like em excpet my eyes are green, not brown. and i am so not kidding.
he cried over em. :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: it is so sweet. i wish i had chris in addition to my male friends.

~bookie :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2: :icon_mecry2:
PS: for em: :icon_mecry2: :m: :icon_mecry2:

#45 m0nkey_luvs

m0nkey_luvs

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hello, I've recently started really liking this. Update soon, please???

-Anna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users