• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#541 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

The thing I hate most about Ramona Waller is not her perfect blonde hair or that she's our class president or president of nearly all the clubs at our school. Or the fact that when I was a freshman, Ramona was my mentor in the student government. No, the reason why I hate Ramona Waller the most is because she's dating Jason Bender.

If you crossed Pigpen from Peanuts with James Franco's face, you get Jason Bender. Jason is one of the ugliest guys ever and yet, three weeks ago, he was mine. It happened by accident. My mom and I happened to move next door and there stood Jason on his doorstep smoking a cigarette like he was James Dean. He stubbed his cigarette out once he saw me carrying a large box and offered to help. At first I was a bit hesitant but once my mom saw we had another helper, immediately put him to work. Jason practically moved everything from the moving truck and into our new home. Mom insisted he stay for dinner even if it was take out pizza. It was there on my living room floor where Jason's and my relationship started to bloom. At first things were friendly, with the occasional "Hi Neighbor"but once Jason realized that we went to the same school, he started to pay attention to me more in waiting for me outside my classes. Girls swooned over him but Jason seemed to have only eyes for me. Jason was friendly but also very popular and somehow, that seemed to catch Ramona's eye as well.

Ramona and I got way back-In fact, our moms knew each other while we were in their wombs so we basically knew each other from birth. Ramona was rich while mine was middle class. Ramona was an only child while I have two older sisters so while Ramona got whatever she wanted, I had to deal with constant hand me downs from my sisters. Once we entered high school, the same went with guys. Ramona sought after the most popular, most desired men while I dated her leftovers or whatever nerd thought he could date me. It never lasted but once Jason came along, that all seemed to change.

Jason was the youngest of four sisters so he knew his way around women. Jason was a smooth talker and always seemed to charm the teachers into giving him a hall pass that he used to come visit me as I worked in the administration offices. I filed paperwork so it was common to see Jason flirt with whatever female was working with me at the time. After the second semester, Ramona signed up to work with me and at first, things were friendly but it was seemingly obvious that Jason was coming to see Ramona instead of me. It hit me like a ton of bricks the day I went into his car and heard his tearful confession of them hooking up. It was downright painful! Jason tried to be apologetic but looked at me with a somber face as he admitted that he had found his soul mate in Ramona and even thanked me for introducing them to each other.

....And this is why I hate Ramona Waller...

#542 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

The Boy With The Rose

Several years ago
"What could I do to make sure that I know that you're still in love with me?"Max announces. I look at him with painful eyes knowing this would be the last time we would ever speak to each other."If you ever see me at an airport, buy a single rose and then I'll know."I said,nearly in tears.

Sometime in the Future
"Julia! Over here Jules! How do you like having the number one movie at the box office?"a TMZ camera man asks me. I shoot him a wide eyed grin. "It's kinda cool actually."I say as the escalator moves up. The camera man is filming me from the bottom of the escalator as my agent smiles politely at him but quietly shoos him away to stop filming me. My agent is on her Blackberry and is rattling off all the wardrobe choices I have for all my upcoming TV appearances. She sticks a pen out with her hand"Maybe we can find more choices in this airport."she quips as I nod my head. We turn and stop at a small eatery as she plops her large Birkin bag purse on the table. "The usual Jules?"she asks,fishing inside her wallet for some cash"If you mean a ham and cheese sandwich with a Sprite,then you bet."I say, laughing. My agent fishes out two bills then plops the wallet back into her purse. "Be back in a Jiffy!"she says as her Blackberry starts to ring again. My agent leaves as I spot a large poster encased in glass of my latest movie."They totally airbrushed me to death!"I exclaim. "You don't look that bad. They at least got rid of all your acne."a voice says as I look around. "Who said that?"I asked, slowly reaching for my agent's purse. I see a tall shadow walk slowly towards me in the distance. "Max!"I exclaim as my agent's purse slams to the ground. Everything inside flies out as my agent storms towards me. "Jules!"she scolds,"What are you doing?"she says,putting our food on the table."Sorry! I got distracted."I say helping her recover all the things from the floor. "By what?"my agent asks as Max kneels besides us. "Hi. I'm Max."he says demurely. My agent shoots me a look as we all get up. My agent turns to me."I thought I told you no fraternizing."she huffs as I look to Max to do something. "She's not! I'm not in show business. In fact,"he says, pausing,"I just came to give her this."he says, dropping a single pink rose on the table.

My heart drops to the floor once I see it. A single rose. The one I told him to give me to confirm that the love between us is still there.I take the rose and smell it as Max gets up to leave. "You look so pretty Jules."he tells me. "Thanks."I say somewhat shyly.
My agent shakes Max's hand and gives him her business card."Julia,"she says,handing me my food in a take out bag,"We need to go." I nod my head as Max leaves in front of us. He starts to walk in front of us as I suddenly yell "Wait!"and Max turns around, slightly stunned. I hold the rose directly in front of his face. "You knew me before I was hit it big and now, look at me. I'm a household name. Do you still love me?"I ask, innocently. I can barely look at Max who seems to be trembling. "I... I never stopped Jules. I'm still in love with you."he says,coming towards me. Max drops his arms by his side as he gets in front of me."It's going to be a crazy ride."I say,looking up at him. "Well, I think I'm prepared."Max says,pressing his lips against mine.

#543 Katexxx

Katexxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

i totally loved that you should write some more like ........how they became friends or something
kate xxxx

#544 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Losing Tyler

Once in awhile, a person comes in your life and changes the way you feel. This was Tyler Harrington for me. I never expected to fall in love let alone end up finding my soul mate but with Tyler, everything seemed to make sense.
We met by accident-After my sister delivered her second child, we all ordered pizza and I happened to open the door when Tyler rang the bell. We exchanged numbers on the spot and soon, a whirlwind romance blossomed. We had a memorable kiss on top of a skyscraper and even went indoor skydiving but after 3 weeks, the late night calls and texts came to a halt. Tyler was slowly distancing himself from me as the emails between us shrank. though Tyler was friendly and cordial, I sensed something wrong in his eyes as we went into his car. He could barely make any contact with me as I could see tears start to flow from his eyes. "Heather..."he said, with a heavy heart. He could barely find the words to say as he kept catching his breath but after blowing his nose with a tissue, he turned straight towards me. "I...met....someone.."he said, sticking a cigarette into his mouth. He inhaled the smoke as he took another large breath as he massaged my arm with the palm of his hand. I felt my entire heart sink way towards the bottom as my throat started to dry up. "So I meant nothing."I said softly. I turned my head as Tyler turned his towards mine."You did but when you find the person that seems to complete you, you have to go for it. I'm really sorry Heather."he said, giving my forehead a smokey peck, I raised my head up as I threaded my fingers into his. "I thought you were it for me! I thought I was done searching! I never wanted anyone but you!"I said, nearly collapsing in tears. "Things don't pan out the way you want them to."Tyler said,"Let this be a lesson for both of us. Have a good life."he said, opening up his car door. He snubbed out his cigarette as he lightly kissed my fingers. "Thanks for all the memories Heather."he said,giving me one last bear hug. His smelled like Old Spice and had Doritos stains all over his jeans.When he finally let go, i turned towards him, barely catching my breath."I hope she makes you as happy as I did."I whispered,putting a foot down on the pavement below me."Goodbye Heather."he said, rather coldly as he shut the door of his car as and sped off.

#545 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Jupitearth

Jupiter had never really acknowledged my presence all that much over the lightyears. We revolved around the same brilliant burning ball of gas, but it didn’t make us equals. Jupiter was tough, strong, completely dwarfing me in size. I was the inferior planet who tagged along behind it in orbit, tailing just behind Mars so I wouldn’t seem like such a fanatic for the planet.

But oh, was I one. There was something about Jupiter that made my axis tilt, my transform boundaries rub together, and my solid inner core melt a little inside. My rough crust was all to thin to defend myself against Jupiter’s utter enchantment. But he had moons, dozens of them, all flocking towards him and pining for his attention. Even Mars was frazzled by his presence. But Jupiter was completely untouchable to small planets like us. He was with alluring Saturn, wrapped around her finger like her many dazzling rings.

And what did I have? My one singular moon: Luna. While that name would’ve been beautiful, Luna was not a girl. No, he was rather the most embarrassing moon in the entire galaxy. He was a dreary, dirty gray, and had too many craters to be deemed attractive. Luna circled me day and night, sometimes too shy to show himself completely. He hid behind darkness, either slowly descending into it or slowly plucking the courage to show himself. There was a gaudy striped flag perched on his head, making him look absolutely ridiculous.

But Luna loved me, and I couldn’t settle for him. No, I wanted Jupiter––the planet that, although he’d never admit it, had my back.

I was a normal day in our corner of the Milky Way. Venus was pestering me about the heat, as she always did, and Mercury struggled to shield her from our sun’s rays. Mars quarreled with one of Jupiter’s moons, while the striking planet himself chatted with his girlfriend Saturn. Far beyond her was Uranus, wallowing in Saturn’s shadow, and Neptune was behind her, gazing into the eyes of Pluto, the mad, outcasted planet he loved.

We were a solar system soap opera: there was a new scandal every second, from different celestial bodies breaking up, to getting back together, to harboring feelings for one another. Out of the millions of solar systems in our galaxy, we were known as the most dramatic. And because I sheltered life inside of me, we were always being talked about. It rendered me some sort of an reject in my community––we never got any privacy thanks to me. We were like those Roman gods the people stirring within me blabbered about. I think in they named them after us, or vise versa.

Regardless, we were celebrities in the astronomical world, more interesting than the comet, meteor, and astroid gangs that stir up trouble time to time. And that angered them greatly. Every once in a while one of them would swoop over towards us and attempt to attack.

Naturally, I was their most frequent target.

Many a time Luna had defended me; the craters on his face were battle scars. But he wasn’t my only protector.

It happened once before, a few years back. I didn’t really realize what had happened until it was over, and I spent more than a decade analyzing it, replaying it in my mind, letting the mixed emotions of my people engulf me in a million different feelings. I was falling in love, falling apart, laughing, crying, and writhing in anger all at the same time. It was an exhilarating thrill ride with several highs and lows, pulling me up and down as if I was diving into Luna’s craters. I longed for the day it would happen again, so I could convince myself that a piece of him actually did care for me, and that I wasn’t just over thinking things.

So far, however, it hasn’t shown signs of reoccurring.

“But I’m telling you, Earth,” Venus always bickered, “If the sun could just dim itself for a second, I wouldn’t need to string Mercury along like this. I mean, look at the poor boy. He’s as hopeless as Luna, always trying to keep me cool. He helps a little bit, too, so I don’t want to upset him and make him stop. But I can’t help but feel guilty…”

She went on, but I was barely listening. I was too busy observing the many plots the humans dwelling in me are a part of, connecting them to the infamous day of my interruption with Jupiter. A burly man saved a blushing damsel in distress, and I reinvented the scene with the two of us as the stars.

“Earth? Hello? Do you get what I’m saying?”

I averted my gaze from space to Venus. It was sufficiently hard, for I was beginning to turn towards the direction opposite of her. For a few hours, I’d be staring at the back of Mars and peeking over at Jupiter.

“Um, yes,” I replied, although I wasn’t quite sure.

Venus narrowed her eyes. “You were thinking about Jupiter again, weren’t you?”

I hesitated. Venus was the closest thing I had to a friend, but a piece of me didn’t trust her. She was a big gossip––her terribly loud voice could reach Pluto with ease. I didn’t want to raise any suspicion to Jupiter or Saturn. If she found out about my secret crush, I’d probably be knocked off the orbit.

“No,” I lied, but I’d taken too long to respond, and Venus was already talking––or rather complaining––about something else.

I decided to let her blabber on while I averted my gaze to Luna. When our eyes met, his milky face reddened. It would be a harvest moon for my people tonight.

“How are you doing, L?” I asked. Due to my current placement on my daily rotation I was directly in his line of sight. It was at this time of the day that I liked to try and interact with him.

“Oh, erm, um, I’m err-err d-doing f-f-fine.” He stumbled on every syllable, until it was barely comprehendible anymore.

“That’s good.” I forced a weak, makeshift smile with the corner of southern California. Because I had living people, my movement was limited, and every small chance I did stretch out my face a little was a time that I’d cause earthquakes and other natural disasters. So California was getting a little shake tonight. But I think they were used to it by now.

“Is the orbiting going well?”

“Erm, uh, y-yes. V-v-very”––cough––“w-well. I th-think that, erm, the circumgyration is going sp-sple-splen-sp-splendid.”

I sighed. It was hard to listen to Luna when he made his words too difficult to understand, or when the only words I could make out were far beyond my normal planetary vocabulary.

“Well, you keep at it,” I said, “And I’ll talk to you later.”

“Oh, al-alright. I think I’ll j-just, uh--” his voice trailed off into steady hums, and I realized he was sleeping.

When the bashful moon wasn’t watching me rotate, he was completely passed out so he could avoid embarrassing himself in front of me. I needn’t worry that he’d stop moving and create an unbalance in the world within my soil, however. He’d been revolving around me for centuries now, and it was literally something he could do in his sleep.

I glanced towards my right, straight into a mass of red. Mars, turned towards Jupiter, squabbling with Callisto. A part of me found this oddly humorous. Here Mars was: the tomboyish planet that put up the facade that she was resilient, immune to the charm of Jupiter, and yet she was always in mid-argument with one of his many, many moons.

Maybe she was watching out for him, interviewing each suitor moon and evaluating if any would be better than Saturn. Maybe she was jealous of the ones who were acquaintances of him. Jupiter barely looked at our side of the solar system, although we all wished he would.

He hadn’t since the time. When he saved me.

It wasn’t at all his business to, but he did it anyway. He gave me a glance as the rock ricocheted off his chest––or, what would be his chest if we were like the humans I foster. Anyway, that look in his eyes, well, it wasn’t just any look. It was a spur of the moment, uncontrollable look whose emotions could not be determined until they were present on his swirling, dotted face. It was everything and anything a real, actual person could feel: falling in love, falling apart, laughing, crying, and writhing in anger. All of the feelings I felt when I relived the occurrence. Except for one part…protection. That expression was his, never mine. I didn’t need to protect him, I mean, he was Jupiter. But I was little vulnerable Earth, and my picture was pinned to the bullseye of an asteroid gang’s target. If there was anything I needed, it was protection.

I soughed dreamily. If only that could happen again. If only the asteroids could get a little furious once more and try to ram into me. He could block it again, register my attendance in this celestial orbit around the sun for just one more time. But it had showed no signs of happening. Thrice I've tried to stir the asteroids into quarreling me but my attempts have all failed.

For now, I guessed, Venus would continue pestering me about Mercury. Luna would keep shyly avoiding me. Jupiter would be a mere other planet, not acknowledging my presence unless called to duty.

I guess there's something wonderful about that. The look Jupiter gave me was a rare look I could crave forever. Without these breaks of him pretending I do not exist, there would be no drive inside of me to muse of the possibilites.

And sometimes, the option to muse about possibilities greater than the mass of all of the stars, more vast than all the galaxies in the world, is the best thing a planet can have.

#546 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Jupitearth

Jupiter had never really acknowledged my presence all that much over the lightyears. We revolved around the same brilliant burning ball of gas, but it didn’t make us equals. Jupiter was tough, strong, completely dwarfing me in size. I was the inferior planet who tagged along behind it in orbit, tailing just behind Mars so I wouldn’t seem like such a fanatic for the planet.

But oh, was I one. There was something about Jupiter that made my axis tilt, my transform boundaries rub together, and my solid inner core melt a little inside. My rough crust was all to thin to defend myself against Jupiter’s utter enchantment. But he had moons, dozens of them, all flocking towards him and pining for his attention. Even Mars was frazzled by his presence. But Jupiter was completely untouchable to small planets like us. He was with alluring Saturn, wrapped around her finger like her many dazzling rings.

And what did I have? My one singular moon: Luna. While that name would’ve been beautiful, Luna was not a girl. No, he was rather the most embarrassing moon in the entire galaxy. He was a dreary, dirty gray, and had too many craters to be deemed attractive. Luna circled me day and night, sometimes too shy to show himself completely. He hid behind darkness, either slowly descending into it or slowly plucking the courage to show himself. There was a gaudy striped flag perched on his head, making him look absolutely ridiculous.

But Luna loved me, and I couldn’t settle for him. No, I wanted Jupiter––the planet that, although he’d never admit it, had my back.

I was a normal day in our corner of the Milky Way. Venus was pestering me about the heat, as she always did, and Mercury struggled to shield her from our sun’s rays. Mars quarreled with one of Jupiter’s moons, while the striking planet himself chatted with his girlfriend Saturn. Far beyond her was Uranus, wallowing in Saturn’s shadow, and Neptune was behind her, gazing into the eyes of Pluto, the mad, outcasted planet he loved.

We were a solar system soap opera: there was a new scandal every second, from different celestial bodies breaking up, to getting back together, to harboring feelings for one another. Out of the millions of solar systems in our galaxy, we were known as the most dramatic. And because I sheltered life inside of me, we were always being talked about. It rendered me some sort of an reject in my community––we never got any privacy thanks to me. We were like those Roman gods the people stirring within me blabbered about. I think in they named them after us, or vise versa.

Regardless, we were celebrities in the astronomical world, more interesting than the comet, meteor, and astroid gangs that stir up trouble time to time. And that angered them greatly. Every once in a while one of them would swoop over towards us and attempt to attack.

Naturally, I was their most frequent target.

Many a time Luna had defended me; the craters on his face were battle scars. But he wasn’t my only protector.

It happened once before, a few years back. I didn’t really realize what had happened until it was over, and I spent more than a decade analyzing it, replaying it in my mind, letting the mixed emotions of my people engulf me in a million different feelings. I was falling in love, falling apart, laughing, crying, and writhing in anger all at the same time. It was an exhilarating thrill ride with several highs and lows, pulling me up and down as if I was diving into Luna’s craters. I longed for the day it would happen again, so I could convince myself that a piece of him actually did care for me, and that I wasn’t just over thinking things.

So far, however, it hasn’t shown signs of reoccurring.

“But I’m telling you, Earth,” Venus always bickered, “If the sun could just dim itself for a second, I wouldn’t need to string Mercury along like this. I mean, look at the poor boy. He’s as hopeless as Luna, always trying to keep me cool. He helps a little bit, too, so I don’t want to upset him and make him stop. But I can’t help but feel guilty…”

She went on, but I was barely listening. I was too busy observing the many plots the humans dwelling in me are a part of, connecting them to the infamous day of my interruption with Jupiter. A burly man saved a blushing damsel in distress, and I reinvented the scene with the two of us as the stars.

“Earth? Hello? Do you get what I’m saying?”

I averted my gaze from space to Venus. It was sufficiently hard, for I was beginning to turn towards the direction opposite of her. For a few hours, I’d be staring at the back of Mars and peeking over at Jupiter.

“Um, yes,” I replied, although I wasn’t quite sure.

Venus narrowed her eyes. “You were thinking about Jupiter again, weren’t you?”

I hesitated. Venus was the closest thing I had to a friend, but a piece of me didn’t trust her. She was a big gossip––her terribly loud voice could reach Pluto with ease. I didn’t want to raise any suspicion to Jupiter or Saturn. If she found out about my secret crush, I’d probably be knocked off the orbit.

“No,” I lied, but I’d taken too long to respond, and Venus was already talking––or rather complaining––about something else.

I decided to let her blabber on while I averted my gaze to Luna. When our eyes met, his milky face reddened. It would be a harvest moon for my people tonight.

“How are you doing, L?” I asked. Due to my current placement on my daily rotation I was directly in his line of sight. It was at this time of the day that I liked to try and interact with him.

“Oh, erm, um, I’m err-err d-doing f-f-fine.” He stumbled on every syllable, until it was barely comprehendible anymore.

“That’s good.” I forced a weak, makeshift smile with the corner of southern California. Because I had living people, my movement was limited, and every small chance I did stretch out my face a little was a time that I’d cause earthquakes and other natural disasters. So California was getting a little shake tonight. But I think they were used to it by now.

“Is the orbiting going well?”

“Erm, uh, y-yes. V-v-very”––cough––“w-well. I th-think that, erm, the circumgyration is going sp-sple-splen-sp-splendid.”

I sighed. It was hard to listen to Luna when he made his words too difficult to understand, or when the only words I could make out were far beyond my normal planetary vocabulary.

“Well, you keep at it,” I said, “And I’ll talk to you later.”

“Oh, al-alright. I think I’ll j-just, uh--” his voice trailed off into steady hums, and I realized he was sleeping.

When the bashful moon wasn’t watching me rotate, he was completely passed out so he could avoid embarrassing himself in front of me. I needn’t worry that he’d stop moving and create an unbalance in the world within my soil, however. He’d been revolving around me for centuries now, and it was literally something he could do in his sleep.

I glanced towards my right, straight into a mass of red. Mars, turned towards Jupiter, squabbling with Callisto. A part of me found this oddly humorous. Here Mars was: the tomboyish planet that put up the facade that she was resilient, immune to the charm of Jupiter, and yet she was always in mid-argument with one of his many, many moons.

Maybe she was watching out for him, interviewing each suitor moon and evaluating if any would be better than Saturn. Maybe she was jealous of the ones who were acquaintances of him. Jupiter barely looked at our side of the solar system, although we all wished he would.

He hadn’t since the time. When he saved me.

It wasn’t at all his business to, but he did it anyway. He gave me a glance as the rock ricocheted off his chest––or, what would be his chest if we were like the humans I foster. Anyway, that look in his eyes, well, it wasn’t just any look. It was a spur of the moment, uncontrollable look whose emotions could not be determined until they were present on his swirling, dotted face. It was everything and anything a real, actual person could feel: falling in love, falling apart, laughing, crying, and writhing in anger. All of the feelings I felt when I relived the occurrence. Except for one part…protection. That expression was his, never mine. I didn’t need to protect him, I mean, he was Jupiter. But I was little vulnerable Earth, and my picture was pinned to the bullseye of an asteroid gang’s target. If there was anything I needed, it was protection.

I soughed dreamily. If only that could happen again. If only the asteroids could get a little furious once more and try to ram into me. He could block it again, register my attendance in this celestial orbit around the sun for just one more time. But it had showed no signs of happening. Thrice I've tried to stir the asteroids into quarreling me but my attempts have all failed.

For now, I guessed, Venus would continue pestering me about Mercury. Luna would keep shyly avoiding me. Jupiter would be a mere other planet, not acknowledging my presence unless called to duty.

I guess there's something wonderful about that. The look Jupiter gave me was a rare look I could crave forever. Without these breaks of him pretending I do not exist, there would be no drive inside of me to muse of the possibilites.

And sometimes, the option to muse about possibilities greater than the mass of all of the stars, more vast than all the galaxies in the world, is the best thing a planet can have.

If I could think of a story like this for the writing section of my final exam next week, I'd do pretty well...

It's incredible how much you've improved since a few stories ago. I remember everything you've written, but this is just a whole new level of amazing.

Your idea is so creative and the connotative language used kept me intrigued until the end. Now I really want to know how it all turns out for Earth, although I have some faint idea.

I hope you write a full length novel someday, Nikki, because I'd love to see what you come up with, and you can count on me to buy one of the first copies :D

:heartbeat: Suze

#547 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

X how I miss you so....

You’ll probably never read this but I don’t care. It’s seems like years since we last spoke and you know how much I’ve been fighting for another chance. It’s 2013-You said goodbye to me in 2012 & now you’re a million miles away. You’re moved on to her but it’s been hard as hell letting you go. I have been in love before and gotten over guys but you are another story indeed. You don’t know what you have till it vanishes from your life and that’s how I feel about you-You gave me this unbelievable feeling when we were together that once I felt it with you, I knew instantly that you were it but then things changed and you left a large hole in my heart that I haven’t been able to replace. She fills your heart now but for how much longer? Is she going to be another one that will hurt you in the end? I made a vow to you that I never would and someday I hope I can fulfill that since I miss you and wish you could see the tears that prove it. I hope you have a good life and hope that someday you’ll think of me again….

#548 IlovePavlov13

IlovePavlov13

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

This is a fanfic by the way soooo yeeeee.

Upon waking up Alfred noticed two things: the right side of him felt cold, like the body that had spent the night curled against him had fled the bed as soon as he had woken up and that someone was threading their fingers through his hair. Oh… well Artie didn't leave the bed like he thought. Unless that was someone else *#&$%%ing with him, but he and Arthur had locked the door last night in case anyone - particularly the four women who had spent the whole of yesterday bothering the crap out of them as soon as they had heard the two of them were a couple after so long - thought it would be funny to keep on opening the door and screaming dumb things. So that would only mean Arthur was the one running his hands through his hair.

Artie must have thought he was still sleeping. Ha, who said that guy wasn't a romantic?

"'ornin'…" Alfred finally blinked open his eyes to get small glance at Arthur, who stopped the hair petting thing or whatever you'd call it, sitting opposite of the side he slept, slightly red and looking a bit panicky, "'hat? Why'd you stop?" He got himself into a sitting position so he could better look at his (wow it felt weird to say this) boyfriend.

"Stop what?" Arthur huffed as he quickly drew his hand back down into his lap. Alfred attempted to make a goofy face to get him to actually admit it, but Arthur returned it with a glare and pinched his face.

"Ow! The hell man?" Alfred rubbed at where Arthur pressed his fingers too deeply into his skin, "I thought you'd stop that… Oh god that *#&$%%ing hurt. You're awful," Alfred stuck his tongue out at Arthur again, who did not hit him like the last time, but rather gave a light smile, a quick laugh and pressed a kiss to his injured cheek.

"That didn't hurt as bad as you thought love…" Arthur gave him one of his damn smart ass grins, and hopped off the bed.

"It did, you son of a gun!" Alfred shouted after Arthur as he marched towards the door and carefully unlocked it to head to the bathroom to take a bath.

Arthur chuckled a little as the door broke open just a crack and he kept his hand over the knob, "Don't be such a baby Alfred." He winked before pushing the door fully away, creaking as it did so after not having been used for almost a year now, and stepped out into the hall.

"I'm not a baby Artie! I thought you'd stop doing that now that we're… wait… crap." He could've sworn he heard Artie laughing like a damn maniac. "You are awful Arthur… a god awful loser!"

"Not my problem." Alfred heard being shouted over the loud gushing sound of water spilling.

"It is too now," he replied to Arthur quietly now that he'd secured the door shut. He sighed to himself, kicked the blankets off, and slipped off the bed next to the nightstand where his glasses lay. Alfred wasn't sure how long Arthur would be soaking that ho-

Okay he shouldn't let his mind go there.

But he'd just have to wait until that loser was done soaking in the tub - or really sleeping in the tub, but after all the crap that happened to Arthur (and his siblings too) in the past six years, he'd wait… it gave him time to think about what exactly they were doing here… this relationship he guessed.

Alright, so it kinda started off as a deal since two certain people had been hearing about how Alfred was sure Arthur hated him and how he knew he really really liked him since the end of Reconstruction. (And no one should have had to put up with him during Reconstruction… really… all those radical republicans being… well *#&$%%ing jackasses and overly sad about Lincoln…) It got to the point where he swore those two were going to kill themselves - And one of them he wouldn't have minded if she did. Alright, naw he would mind, 'cause then he'd have no one to mess around with - if he didn't tell Artie soon. There were lots of chances for Alfred to actually admit it over the years, but just… he was so sure that Arthur hated his guts at all those points he could have told Artie (and some of those times, like that time with Venezuela (and Chile, can't forget Chile…) just furthered Alfred's ideas about Arthur's hatred towards him. Seriously) he just gave up all chances to say it out loud to him.

But then the Great War happened, and when he saw how mad Arthur got when that Zimmerman telegraph came to Mexico (not like she'd invade him like that anyway, pretty sure the ABC countries would be super pissed at the both of them and then that whole revolution was going on in her home. She was too busy trying to keep track of who was her boss at the moment and who had been murdered shitless)he began to hope that maybe there was a tiny chance that Arthur liked him back. Until he actually got to the battlefield and Arthur just didn't seem alright about that. He just acted like he normally did when he was around him - a big Mr. Grumpy Pants. Except he seemed so nice to Emma and Veronica - especially after the Battle of Lys… where Alfred guess he could say he respected Veronica… (Damn was she a badass.)

Then it was all over and that treaty that happened would have really change everything for the better, Alfred thought he could do it just go over and tell him… but just the way Arthur and Francis were so adamant about getting revenge (Okay really just Francis, but Arthur was a part of it too) that he just couldn't. Not to mention how later on when Alfred's own suggestion to do the League of Nations would be taken up, but he didn't even join it. He was just *#&$%%ing done with Europe. That idea increased as soon as Black Thursday happened and he just about got *#&$%%ed over and everyone else got *#&$%%ed over.

And pretty much the 30's were the worst times he'd ever had, right after Reconstruction (not even during the civil war was it that bad, seriously). To make things worse, Kiku started going crazy on his left while Ludwig was going crazy on his right, and because everyone was going crazy, another war happened (What was wrong with Europe man? Alright Latin America had their fights too, but Brazil and Argentina weren't as bad as they used to be!). Alfred didn't dare get into another fight again, he kept saying he was neutral over and over… but Arthur begging him to join made him once again believe that maybe, just maybe, Artie liked him back.

So when he did eventually get into the war (and not in a matter he was too pleased about), and he and Artie would sit around and plan everything, and he attempted to drag him out of his library to actually do stuff with him… he just… wow. It was like those slight feelings he had for him were just slowly increasing. And he swore to god he saw them returned in Arthur too - or maybe he could have just been imagining it. But when the end finally happened and all their troubles were almost gone, (not yet though, since he was still pissed at that damn Jap for what he did. And he needed to finish that up before he could finally say "We're good, buddy") Arthur looked so happy and ecstatic that day and, well he… had no clue what happened, but suddenly Arthur ran up to him and just flat out kissed him. And holy crap, he didn't even ask why - he was too happy and giddy himself - that he just kissed him back and kept hearing cheers and claps from so many people he didn't give a crap anymore.

So when the night hit, and they were slowly coming down from the high of the war ending, they finally did have a proper talk about their relationship and all. And boy was that awkward as hell. As they talked it seemed that as everyone was leaving Arthur's house to go back to their own, they all seemed really happy now that two of them were finally together after so long, especially Matt and Francis.

And when Arthur's siblings heard (not to mention Emma and Veronica (who the hell let her in anyway)) that was when they'd just up and decided to spend the rest of the night in Arthur's bedroom - locked of course. The night was spent packing and with awkward glances until Alfred up and climbed into Arthur's bed, curled up against Artie and fell asleep.

Man.

The sound of a creaky door cut him off of his thoughts, and he peered out the door to find Arthur with his hair damp and water trickling down his cheeks, dressed in his usual sweater and tan pants combo, rubbing his hands down his legs to get whatever wrinkles he had in the pants, when he looked up to find Alfred just starting happily at him.

"You should get ready soon…" Arthur said, stopping directly at where Alfred stood and pressed a light kiss to his lips, "You're leaving for the Pacific today aren't you?"

Alfred smiled weakly back, "Yeah I am…" He scratched at the back of his neck, "I guess we should have told each other sooner, and uhm… not have had to have waited so long so this…" Alfred just gestured with his hands, going around in incomprehensible circles, "Uh wouldn't have happened…"

Arthur sighed and stepped past him but turned around, "I guess we just thought we hated each other for so long." He smiled and put his arms across his chest, "But, what happened happened. Can't rewrite history can you, love?"

Aw crap. He was calling him love… well at least the awkwardness was fading away, "Naw…" But it just quickly came back when he looked down at his feet and then back at Arthur, "So I guess I'll just… go… clean up and eat and then… uh, go to the docs?"

Arthur approved of that plan as he nodded, "Sounds alright." He turned about his heel and started to go down that winding staircase but Alfred stopped him.

"You're coming down to see me off, aren't you?" Alfred called before Arthur could descend down the stairs.

Arthur chuckled, "Of course, love," and continued downstairs to the kitchen, where he hoped to god that he wouldn't make him a going away breakfast. But he sighed and watched the man he'd loved for most of his life gracefully slip down the stairs and disappear.

The world didn't seem so lonely to him at that point.

-------

A/N: Aaand, that's the end of it! There are a couple things I want to add though, the Venezuela thing I mentioned is this incident where Guiana found gold in there land, right by the border of the two countries - well Guiana was a colony at the time however to great Britain. Venezuela claimed that that land with the gold was theirs, while Guiana argued it was theirs. It got out of hand that America had to step in, and almost threatened another war with Britain, until Venezuela just gave up. The Chilean one I mentioned was where two US marines were in Chile and got drunk, had a bar fight and got killed. The US blamed Chile for having their marines killed and was about to declare war in Chile. Britain eventually stepped in to stop the two from fighting. The last thing I wanted to mention was the ABC countries - Chile, Brazil and Argentina. America invaded Veracruz during the Mexican Revolution and caused a major battle that would have resulted in another war, however the ABC countries stepped in and prevented the two countries from actually doing so. Hence why the ABC countries would be mad that after working out that problem to prevent them from going to war three years ago, war was going to happen. And Mexico couldn't invade anyway since the mexican political soap opera was happening. Just wanted to clarify on those things. Ye.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it and liked it. (I had a lot of fun writing it as well.) And special thanks to my friends Five and Dragon for betaing this.

\O/

#549 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

5pm

we drove past your neighborhood and when there was a red light, stopped at the intersection-your house a mere inches away. my sister stopped the car as I walked out with a heavy heart not knowing what you’d say to me. I had a plastic bag of chewing gum in my hand that I swung around trying to calm my nerves. I could feel the grainy pavement below my feet as my eyes zoomed in on antique rocking chair that swung invisibly on your porch as I stood nervously for a few minutes hoping you’d see me through a window.

I wiped the sweat off my new dress as I chewed a piece of gum like it was my last meal hoping the sound would bring you to me but when the sun started to set, that’s when my heart dropped so I left with the night sky trailing behind me…

#550 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Are you worth a dollar?

Facebook now charges $1.00 to send people messages that you are no longer friends with. There’s a million things running through my mind when I think of you but every time I try and go to battle for you, I have gotten nothing in return. You mean the world to me and no matter how many men I date after you, a part of me will always wonder “What if?”You moved on but it’s been hard as hell for me since in the back of my mind,I want to have hope that someday you’ll come back so as I stare at this blank screen waiting to pour my heart out, I have to ask myself-Are you really worth a dollar?

#551 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

DO NOT DELETE THE THING I ASKED YOU TO DELETE! DO NOT DO IT! IT IS UNNECESSARY! DO NOT DELETE IT! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

#552 ecraven

ecraven

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

What do you guys feel about this? (Please be gentle!) It was from a Don't Think: Just Write Marathon I did a couple of months ago...

Einstein

Sometimes I look at old pictures, made with silver covered film, and wonder if they capture something not seen by the human eye. There are sections of intense sharpness but then there are auras, sections of soft vague smudging that hint at something else. Speaking from a physics point of view (how Einstein taught me to think) there should be no difference in clarity from the nose to the tips of a person's hair or the ankles to the feet, they are all in the same plane, all at the right focal length.

Yet, when I look at the photos of my (albeit imaginary) mentor Albert, his hair and his head seem to blur and merge with the background, almost like his energy is not contained inside his skull and fleshy brain matter but expanding outside himself, encompassing the world in his genius and imaginings. Did the film capture his distortion, his ability to expand his thinking and move outside himself?

When I look at more pictures of great grand parents and long lost branches of the family tree I see it. A halo, only around some, a distinct fuzziness around the face and neck, a cloak of mist draped over the shoulders. I wonder if there was something more to them, a vitality that leaked from their personality and there to see for anyone who cared to be caught up. Have we lost this ability to extend mind and soul outside ourselves in modern days? Or have our capture techniques become shallow, focusing too much on the visible spectrum and not other, deeper wavelengths.

It is because of these old photographs that I believe in auras.

#553 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Her name was Chloe Archer. She was considered a local hero for saving a drowning puppy from a sewer before school started. We were in the student government together and I even mentored her younger sister, Tabitha.
Though Chloe and I seemed to be civil to one another in public, it was common knowledge that she loathed me.

That worsened once I knew we both liked a guy named Abraham. Abe was an army brat who moved to our area so his parents could work at the Pentagon.Abe was a short guy who made up for it in impressing people with his vast array of magic tricks. I would always catch Abe practicing his tricks around lunchtime which somehow got us talking. Abe was slowly taking a shine to me and even asked me to be his assistant on our school's annual talent show.

I was thrilled but once word got out to Chloe, I knew I was in trouble. Chloe had made numerous attempts to woo Abe but Abe just shrugged off her advances. He seemed more interested in me but that all changed once the talent show came.

Abe's mom had designed my costume, It was a PG rated showgirl outfit with all kinds of cheap dollar store feathers attached all around my body including a feathered headpiece that refused to stay on. Abe had a simple black tuxedo on and a toy bunny hidden inside his magic hat.

Once the announcer called Abe as the next act, Abe and I took the stage proudly. Abe did his best tricks which seemed to delight the crowd as his final trick-the rabbit out of a hat soon came on. Abe grabbed his hat behind the stage as he made me show the audience nothing was in it. He then waved his wand all around me and even said some magic words as Abe then tried to pull the bunny out of the hat. But there was no bunny. Instead, inside Abe's hat was a pair of women's underwear decorated exactly like my costume. The crowd gasped as Abe's face seemed to turn pale."Did you do this?"Abe asked me, his eyes flaring with anger.
"No I didn't! I was set up!"I said as my eyes seemed to lock with Chloe's. She sauntered onto the stage licking a large lollipop with the missing toy bunny in hand."Told ya she's a fraud."Chloe said, taking Abe's hand. My jaw seemed to hit the floor as loud "Boos"came from the crowd."That's it?"I asked Abe but he was too busy hanging on Chloe to even notice. I stepped off the stage as stage hands started to remove all of Abe's things. "Love hurts doesn't it?"joked one of the stage hands to me. "Yeah,"I said, removing my headpiece,"It sure does."

#554 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Her name was Gwendolyn Banks. The year before school started, she became a local hero for saving a drowning puppy from a sewer. But to me, she was nothing but trouble.

It all started when we both ended up liking a guy named Marshall. He was the new kid in school that every girl seemed to fawn over. Marshall was in our English class and would sometimes recite Shakespeare to me before class just so I'd remember some of the answers to our teacher's quizzes. Gwendolyn didn't seem to like this so one afternoon, she cornered me inside the girl's locker room."You stay away from him ok?"she warned me "Or I will ruin you!"she declared. Not thinking anything of her warning, I continued to hang out with Marshall.

Marshall tended to talk to me after class at my locker as we compared notes from our English class. Just as Marshall was racing to jot down the latest assignment for me,one of his friends called him over."Hey Marshall!"the guy waved,"So your friends with Vampire Girl huh?" "Vampire Girl?"Marshall said, swiping off a white paper taped to a wall,"Lisa is this you?"he asked me. My face turned pale white once I saw the poorly xeroxed photo of myself staring back at me. On the paper below my photo was a written journal confessing that I had taken a bite out of a girl's neck-that girl being Gwendolyn Banks.

Suddenly my heart started pounding."I was set up!"I said just as our school's principal started to head my way with Gwendolyn in tow. Gwendolyn had a wide smirk on her face that disgusted me. "Here she is Principal Denners."Gwendolyn said,grabbing a part of my shirt."Miss Vampire Girl herself."she said as Principal Denners showed me another flyer."I never wrote the journal entry!"I said,turning to Marshall. "I don't know this girl"Marshall said as he moved out of the way for the principal to escort us.
My eyes filled with tears as Gwendolyn teased me."Poor baby"she cooed,"What goes around comes around huh?"Everyone in the hallway looked at me like I was a witch on trial in the Salem Witch Trials."Vampire Girl"they hissed, holding up flyers with my face on them.

Gwendolyn, Principal Denners and I all headed inside the Principal's office as Principal Denners started to flip through his rolodex to call my parents.
"I was set up!"I cried again but no one seemed to listen. "That's not even my handwriting!"I exclaimed."Of course it is."Gwendolyn gloated"You don't even know how you write Lisa?"she gloated. That's when I had to take charge into my own hands. "Gwendolyn did all the flyers and wrote the journal entry to frame me all in the name to get Marshall!"I exclaimed, banging my first on Principal Denner's desk. Principal Denners dropped the phone."Lisa,the journal entry is credible evidence. Gwendolyn and everyone else said you did it."he said, twisting the phone cord around his finger."I'm innocent!"I pleaded just as Gwendolyn fooled around with a pink pen in her hand. That set a light blub off in my head."How can you say that's me when I never use a pink pen!"I declared,"Only Gwendolyn writes with pink pens. Show them Gwendolyn. Show your journal."I said as sweat started to build onto Gwendolyn's face. "Yes Gwendolyn, show me your journal."Principal Denners said,asking for Gwendolyn's backpack. Inside was a beatup Steno notebook filled with pages and pages of pink ink. "See?"I exclaimed as Gwendolyn's eyes soon zoomed on a crumpled piece of paper shoved way down with all of her pens. Before Gwendolyn could grab it, I snatched the piece in my hands and proudly presented the journal entry to Principal Denners-pink ink and all. "See?"I said as Gwendolyn sneered at me.Behind the journal entry was the original copy of the xeroxed paper with a Staples receipt in Gwendolyn's name."Not too bright are we?"Principal Denners put the phone down."Guess I owe you an apology then Lisa."he said, turning to Gwendolyn:Detention. For the rest of the entire year. And an apology to Lisa."he said as Gwendolyn stuck her tongue at me."Cheaters never prosper."I shot back, getting up.

Principal Denners excused me from his office as Marshall pounced on me once I closed the door. "So I heard you're off the hook huh Lisa?"he asked. "Sorry. Don't know you."I said as Marshall started to run after me.

#555 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hangover Sadness

You moved away and I never thought how much it would end up affecting me-how much even the smallest things reminded me of you. How, even after so long apart, the flame you lit inside me still burns furiously. Maybe it was the drive you set off in me to become a better person and when I did, why weren’t you there to be my my side when I fought so hard? You’re one of the rare people I’d go to battle for so when I had to hang up my sword,the pain inside started a tidalwave. Suddenly this waitress became your world and I became just an erased memory from your past, I had to face the harsh reality of us being strangers again with no chance of you coming back. I wish you knew part of this was about you and how I still somehow care but in reality we all have to let go sometimes-even if it hurts….

#556 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

You moved away and I never thought how much it would end up affecting me-how much even the smallest things reminded me of you. How, even after so long apart, the flame you lit inside me still burns furiously. Maybe it was the drive you set off in me to become a better person and when I did, why weren’t you there to be my my side when I fought so hard? You’re one of the rare people I’d go to battle for so when I had to hang up my sword,the pain inside started a tidalwave. Suddenly this waitress became your world and I became just an erased memory from your past, I had to face the harsh reality of us being strangers again with no chance of you coming back. I wish you knew part of this was about you and how I still somehow care but in reality we all have to let go sometimes-even if it hurts….

#557 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

you let me go so maybe its time to do the same…..
a part of my heart is in pain but she’s a good girl that adores you.
i wish,when i had the chance,should have confessed how i really felt as i now realize, i do miss those midnight calls from you alot.

maybe it was how you grew on me or the things you made me laugh about. whatever it was,i held on tight to the memories refusing to let go in hopes of you somehow coming back. i waited a year and nothing changed so as i write this though so much heartbreak and tears, i wish you nothing but the best.

#558 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

"Me and Sammy"

Maybe it's the age old question of wanting what you can't have I guess but what happens when you find the right person but at the wrong time maybe?

To some things up, I feel that might be me and Sammy. This all started 2 years ago. Sammy's older sister was the receptionist at the dentist's office I went to that Sammy was a patient at.

Sammy was a local football hero that used to pick his sister up in his old beat up Corolla that he named after his last ex. My dentist knew Sammy and sometimes even scheduled my appointments hoping we might bump into each other which finally happened once I confessed to his sister inquiring who he was. Sammy is this grungy big giant who seems like a big douchy jock but isn't. To the people that know Sammy best like I did, know he's just this huge dorky manchild. I never thought of ever dating Sammy since at the time he was dating the head cheerleader and I was with a math whiz who dumped me because he was secretly gay. After my guy's mom passed away, that's when Sammy and I started to reconnect since Sammy was ballistic after finding his ex with another dude at their apartment. I nearly saved Sammy from suicide that day and yet when Sammy looked at me clear in the eyes wondering if anyone ever cared to love him, that's when I suddenly chickened out to say so. In my head I was thinking of this guy that I dug at Subway who flirted with me and gave me free chips with my subs. A month later, Sammy moved on to date a gogo dancer while Subway guy and I had a brief one month relationship. Sammy and I wouldn't end up talking until that summer when Sammy posted about his band's final gig at a run down strip mall across from my house. I ended up going on a whim and when I did,I saw Sammy working the bar showing beer can tricks to a group of admirers. Maybe when I finally got to have a good glance at what Sammy really looked like is when it truly hit me like a ton of bricks. Sammy was playing it up and I was lapping up every word of it slowly developing a crush. By the time Sammy's band did their final encore, I was hooked. I know nothing of dubstep or heavy metal but that night I fell madly in love with Sammy.

We ended up staying at the club till 2am and I could feel something brewing between Sammy and I-whether it was the way he held me against his body or how we seemed to be in sync with the same stupid jokes,in my heart I knew I had found the one and maybe Sammy felt it too as before his manager dropped me off,Sammy surprised me with a kiss once we stopped at my house. My mom was super upset wondering where I was but it didn't seem to matter. That night I felt invincible.

#559 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

"Well hello there stranger."a voice beckons me. It's the age old question:What do you say to the person who ripped your heart out yet a years later, acts like nothing happened.

This happened to me at IKEA of all places. I was with my sister on nanny duty with my nephew when out of the corner of my eye, a tall shadow seemed to walk in my direction. The shadow had messy red hair and a distinctive mustache that made me drop the french fry in my mouth. "Uncle Paul!"my nephew beamed, running towards him. For two years, Paul was a large part of my life then one day he woke up and decided not to be with me anymore. Paul has a navy green polo shirt on turned backwards,he's playing around with my nephew as my nephew clings tight to his leg. I can barely muster up anything to say to him as he says"Hello Tara."in a voice that makes my body shiver. I'm nearly frozen when my sister comes back with my newborn niece in cradled in her arms. My sister does a double take before realizing the stranger playing hide and seek with my nephew is Paul. "Uncle Paul!"my nephew squeaks again, racing towards my sister. Before Paul and I split, he made a promise to my nephew to always be his "honorary uncle"no matter what happened between us. I can barely look at Paul as my sister straps seatbelts on my niece and nephew in the shopping cart. I can barely look or speak at Paul since my heart is suddenly dislodged in my throat. "Tara, I'm sorry."Paul says, lightly touching my arm. He can see the tears forming inside my eyes."I was young and stupid. Happy?"he exclaims."I didn't know what I wanted ok?"Paul says, nearly yelling. He fidgets with his sweater as my sister and I start to walk away from him but he stops me in my tracks."I miss you Tara."he says softly. The tears continue from my eyes as his face becomes a blur. My mouth feels dry so when my sister hands me her water bottle, Paul directs me to a small bench near a Coke machine."We won't be long."he promises my sister. She in turn, chooses to look at some candy for the kids in a nearby aisle. I sip the water and chug it down as Paul hands me a tissue."Rebecca..."he starts to say of the woman he ended up leaving me for,"Wasn't the one for me. I had to look deep inside myself to see that it was you all along."I finish my water as Paul hands me a tissue from his pocket. He gets up to buy a soda from the Coke machine and hands me a Sprite can along with his Diet Coke can."See?"he grins,"I remembered." I quietly thank him for the soda as I make a lame excuse to be with my sister. I see Paul's face droop as he sees me get up."You just don't want to be with me anymore now do you?"he asks. I wipe away the tears from my eyes as I clear my throat. Paul now has his thumbs perched on the peaks of my shoulders. This is my chance. This is my time to say my peace.Instead my nerves cave in as I squeak,"I don't know."as I say as Paul gives me an awkward hug goodbye. Paul lets go of me and says"I moved back to the area just so you know."as I nod my head. My sister is waiting for me as I see Paul disappear into the crowd and out of my life again..

#560 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

n every person’s life, there is a person that they wished could have worked things out with in the end. To quote a Katy Perry song,” The One That Got Away.”

To me, that person was Cameron South.

It all started when my family was vacationing in Ocean City.

We were on the boardwalk taking a family photo when my dad happened to stumble upon a lanky beanpole of a boy skateboarding near us. He wore all orange except for a gray beanie that kept his neon green hair under wraps. He was holding his skateboard smoking a cigarette when my dad approached him for a photo. “You can pose with my daughter Gretchen!” my dad exclaimed as he posed us together. Cameron seemed super tall to my diminutive stature as he put his arm around me to pose. My dad took the photo as Cameron and I gave big grins to the camera. Maybe it was the way Cameron and I acted like we were old friends but whatever it was, a spark seemed to be brewing between us.

We ended up hanging out the entire day together as Cameron even won me a large stuffed Pink Panther doll at one of the arcade games. It took him 20 tries but I dug it none the less. Once the week ended, Cameron knew I was heading home so on the last day of my vacation, a knock came on my hotel door and I could see Cameron dressed all nice in a worn out tuxedo with a small bouquet of daisies in his hand. He was acting rather bashful as we settled into our favorite bench on the beach. Cameron put his arm around me and confessed to having the best time ever. “I wish I didn’t have to leave.” I said noticing Cameron’s hand locked into mine. He turned to me as the moon shown above us as we kissed by the roar of the ocean in front of us promising to Skype, Facetime and text once I got home.

We couldn’t stop kissing once my dad had everything packed into our rental car. Cameron held me tight as he helped me squeeze into the back seat of the car.”Promise you won’t forget me?” he asked as my dad started the car,”Never.”I said, giving him one final kiss from the car window.

Once I got home, Cameron and I decided to try out being a long distance couple as we ended up being on and off for two years as the cracks started to show.

Cameron started to pursue a football career which he had hoped would get him to try out for the NFL someday and supportive as I tried to be, Cameron’s interest slowly started to fade. It started when he suddenly became chummy with a cheerleader named Allison for whom he would end up dumping me for.

After a brief dalliance with Allison ended, Samantha was next in line for Cameron’s affections. Sam was this cute little girl with a thick Scottish accent that Cameron dug once they met through mutual friends. After less than a month, Samantha called it quits and soon Cameron moved on to Kristen #1.Kristen was this French girl with a big personality that Cameron liked but lacked any smarts so Cameron left her for Kristen #2. Kristen #2 was this artsy chick who recited poetry wherever she went. Although Cameron seemed to like it, it seemed to get tiresome so after Kristen #2,Cameron remained single for a spell and despite my best efforts to reconcile, Cameron soon had his sights on Donna Jane. DonnaJane was a lead singer of a local band that played near where Cameron practiced. Word around the street was the Cameron didn’t want to be in a relationship again but once DonnaJane reeled him in,it was all over. It was hard seeing Cameron all happy with DonnaJane especially since my love life lacked all the excitement his did.

I dabbled in online and in person dating but lacked any chemistry with any potential suitors. The ones that did were always compared to Cameron since I refused to let go of the flame that was still burning inside for him. Nobody seemed to match up to his expectations so once word got to me that him and DonnaJane were on a break, I sent him an email confessing everything I felt.

I had hoped that once Cameron read the e-mail, he would have had a change of heart but once I logged back in, saw a simple message announcing his and DonnaJane’s engagement. At that moment, my heart sank into the deepest bowels of my body as I sobbed deep inside my pillow. I punched it repeatedly feeling a wave of guilt for not letting things work between us but at that moment, I had to realize I had to let him go. Cameron wasn’t and would never be mine again so I ended up taking all the mementos he gave me in a box under my bed all the cards,and letters even the Pink Panther doll and just hurled them all inside my trash compactor. Tears flew onto my face as I realized Cameron would just be a part of my past and that someone new would be a part of my future.

#561 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

You

It was nerve wracking flipping pages in my search engine and suddenly seeing your face again when people told me to turn my back but seeing you in your new life with someone that brings you happiness is all anyone can ask for right? If I could honestly turn back time,I’d fix it so I could have confessed how much you really meant to me before it was too late. Now you’re far away and I’m just here…confessing how much I miss you still to something that should be a memory to me….

#562 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Not a day goes by that I don’t miss you
When I promised you forever, I meant it
See all those girls you date? They just see one side of you.
I saw it all and fell in love with the boy before all the fame
The boy who saw me crying under a tree and raced to make it better
Who guided me under his wing as we ate melted popsicles
in the pouring rain
The boy whose lips set my soul on fire
that who made me what I am today
Yeah. I really miss you…

#563 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

The Compulsion to Lie

The concept of a compulsive liar was a foreign concept to me until sometime during the eighth grade. I had never understand it before—who would feel the need to just lie? It didn't happen to me, so therefore I couldn't comprehend why a compulsive liar even existed. The term wasn't one I used. 

It all changed one day when I was talking to what I then considered my best "school" friend, a girl who I had gone to elementary school with, but hadn't become friends with until middle school rolled around. She mentioned someone or something—maybe it had been a dance class she had been in with her "Cool Cousin Conner." I'm not sure. But I knew in that moment that what she had said wasn't true. She had told me a completely different story earlier. She was...lying?

I attributed it to bad memory. A slip. A mistake. She had too busy a life to remember what was happening when and who she had seen or hung out with. 

I managed to except this made up theory about her "slips" until sometime during my ninth grade year. After that, I gave up on trying to "cover" for her in my mind. She was a compulsive liar. No ifs, and, or buts about it. 

She felt the need to lie about everything. Everyone. But the thing was...were they even lies? It wasn't like she lied to people, saying "Yeah, I got an A on the test" when she really got a C. No, it was a completely different type of lie. 

She made up people. And situations. She would tell me about her "rich cousin Tripp" and the "crazy bar" he took her to. She would mention how her parents marriage was failing. How some boy was "after her." Nothing she said had any truth to it at all. Because they were all stories.

Fiction. Absolute fiction. The people, the places, the experiences didn't exist. She had an entire alternate life that didn't actually occur. Till this day, I regret not writing down all this fiction. Because what a killer book it would have made. 

I still can't explain what made me remain friends with her for so long. Somewhere in the beginning of high school, it had morphed into not just me and her, but into me, her, Jordan, and Taylor. The four whatevers. I knew they had to know about her lying, but we didn't talk about it. Never did. I thought of it as some unspoken understanding. The three of us knew. Hell, maybe even she knew we knew. One thing was clear though: we didn't talk about it. 

Until one night we did. 

It had been a fun night, complete with making homecoming T-Shirts and screwed up Oreo brownies at my house. She and Jordan had to go home, but Taylor asked if she could spend the night. I said duh, but it was actually the first time that Taylor had spent the night without it being "us four." It was always us four. Never separate. 

It happened around 2 AM. We were in the room that had the biggest bed. It had basically been transformed into the "us four" sleepover room. That night it was just me and Taylor though. 

Oh, and my brother Jared. He's an unfortunate important part of the story. While we were sprawled out on the bed, he was sitting in the recliner. 

We got to talking. It was that late night talking that's kind of dangerous. You feel like you might say too much or admit something you never intended to. One conversation turned into another and we landed on the topic of her. 

We mentioned a couple things. Something about her boyfriend. Something about someone who didn't exist. Suddenly we were saying it all. 

She lies. 

She's a liar. 

She's a compulsive liar. 

More was discovered. How much crap she really talked about each of us behind our backs. How it might be that she's mentally crazy. 

Hours of conversations. We talked, Jared listened. Then finally, somewhere around 4 AM, he looked at the both of us and slowly said, "You've said too much."

He kept saying it, even as we defended ourselves, saying all we had said was the truth. He said no, said that this was it. We had said too much to go back to school on Monday and act normal. 

You've said too much.

I might as well go ahead and mention that he had smoked an incredibly ridiculous amount of weed and was high out of his mind, even two hours after he had done it. His untrustworthy mental state made Taylor and me blow off his statement. 

It all came spiraling down quickly after that. 

Taylor and I couldn't stop the glances we shared when she lied about something all week after that. Homecoming was that Friday. I remember walking away from her and Taylor for ten minutes to hang out with another friend. 

I remember her being mad about it. Acting like I was a *%^## for talking to someone who wasn't in "our four." I remember asking Taylor if she had said anything behind my back about it. She had. I was right. I was done. I just didn't know it yet. 

I got a call from her boyfriend during that week. I had felt bad for him ever since they had started dating. Because there was no way he knew about her lying, not yet. He hadn't been with her long enough to catch on. But there he was, calling ME, someone he hardly knew, asking me point blank. 

"Do you think she lies?"

I told him yes. Yes, Matt, she lies. She lies all the time, about everything, about anyone, and TO anyone. 

For the next couple weeks, him, Taylor, and me were best friends. They came over a couple times a week. We talked. He didn't know what to do. He told me that if anyone could talk some sense into her, it would be me. I never have understood what he meant by that. Taylor cried because of some guy that things had been screwed up with, ultimately because of her. I didn't cry. Taylor's always been a bit emotional. 

One day, at lunch I think, I was sitting with Taylor, Jordan, and a girl named Sarah. The lying came up, but only one lie; Sarah had been the one to bring it up anyway. It wasn't too big a deal, but I still felt awkward discussing it in front of Jordan. She didn't know we had talked about the lying. 

Then, somewhere on the walk from lunch to our next class, Jordan said, "Come on, guys. We know she lies."

And suddenly we were free to talk. 

Jordan knew more than Taylor and me ever did. They had known each other longer, after all. Taylor, Jordan, and I spent the next class discussing it. 

Hell, we discussed it with the whole block. It was a dumb class, one full of guys and a teacher who was concerned with mowing the baseball field instead of teaching. We sat outside and vented to the random guys about it while they laughed and we got it out of our systems. 

There was a particular guy in the class. I call him Cato. He's one of my best friends now. She had made up a lie about him once, so we told him about it. 

He said he was going to call her out on it. 

It was that decision—his random decision—that led to my last conversation with her. Until now, what happened after school that day is still referred to as "The Intervention."

It was me. It was Taylor. It was Jared and Cato. We were sitting on truck tailgates, typical my-school fashion, waiting for her to come out. She had to make up a quiz in some class. The parking lot was cleared by the time she came outside to us. 

Cato confronted her. She had a bad excuse. Taylor confronted her. She had bad excuses. Jared confronted her.  She lied about something. 

There's nothing I regret more than not saying anything that day. But I do think what I did that day sealed my decision—I listened. To every word she said. She lied, and lied, and lied. I couldn't bring myself to call her out. I think I said one sentence, maybe. She was defending some ex-boyfriend she had made up and I simply said, "Oh, he isn't even real."

I could have just said "none of this real." That would have been more accurate. 

Taylor and her were still in an argument about something when I turned to Jared and said "let's go." He started up the truck and I was getting in when Cato grabbed me and asked if I was okay. 

I was honest. I told him no. I told him I was mad. I was trying not to cry my eyes out because she didn't deserve to see me upset over something as stupid as her. 

The ten minute drive home was short, but I cried and somehow managed to get all my frustration out right then in those ten minutes. I think Jared said something comforting, but I can't remember. All I know is that in those few minutes, I accepted it. 

I accepted that what I had thought wasn't true. I had always believed that, if confronted, she would confess. She would admit to lying, to being a liar. But she hadn't. So I accepted that she was what she was and that maybe, one day, she would change. But until that day, I couldn't put myself through anymore of her bullshit. 

I got home. I had to explain it to my mom. I didn't cry because I'm not a crier. Crying in front of Jared had been weird enough. Taylor came over that night. My best friend Cheyenne came over too. The day ended on an honest-to-God good note. 

What ensued after that day were the most awkward weeks of my life. Sometimes I would change the way I walked to class so I wouldn't see her. She switched where she parked in the morning. When we saw each other, we didn't really see each because of how fast we avoided eye contact. It was one of those silent understandings—we weren't friends anymore. 

Things changed as far as friendships went. Taylor and I become incredibly close. Jordan and I developed a new friendship; it was less forced and I loved it. I didn't see Matt for months. I started hanging out with Cato and more of Jared's friends—one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

It's been almost a year now. I don't ever see her anymore. She and Matt are still dating. I don't get that one, but I'm almost happy for them, in a weird way. In my mind, the fact that they're still together means that maybe she was able to confess to him that she had been lying. At least that's what I like to think. 

So the compulsion to lie is something I could still say I don't understand, but maybe I do get it. I get that she wanted to stand out and sound like her life was so much better than everyone else's. I get that she was trying to make those around her jealous with all her cool little stories. I get it all. 

But she's still a lying *%^##. 

Oops. Maybe I've said too much. 

#564 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

this got published and i am kinda shocked since i agree with the critics-flimsy confusing plot with alot of vague details. What do u guys think?

The People Who Change Your Life Forever

They say when you meet someone; they have the ability to change your life forever.

In my case, this was a boy named Matthew.

We met by accident. I was at Shopland with my mother and godmother ordering my usual pizza and smoothie combo when the cashier denied my mother’s AmEx card.  Flustered, my mother turned to my godmother who was furiously scrounging in her bag to come up with some cash when a small tap on my back came.

Behind me was Matthew, waving a ten dollar bill in my direction. He had a big grin on his face and instructed me to keep the change. “We’re in the same History class together. “he chuckled.

I gave the bill to my mother who promptly paid for our food as my godmother and my mother both thanked Matthew profusely for his unexpected act of kindness.

The next day at school, a single plastic daisy was attached to my locker. When I looked around to see who had done it, a pair of dirty Timberland boots greeted me from underneath the door of the next locker.

“A lovely girl deserves a flower doesn’t she? “Matthew winked. He was holding the remainder of the bouquet in his hand as he nervously gave it to me. I could see his hands shaking. I took the bouquet and embraced him in the hallway. “Thanks.” I said, “You’re a really cool guy.” Matthew probably took that as a sign that I liked him because he then lifted me up to meet his lips. He tasted like Nacho cheese and presumably had lunch before coming to see me.

Whatever it was, it seemed to have started the beginning of something amazing.

Matthew and I were virtually inseparable for almost six months in a blissful relationship when suddenly out of the blue, Matthew stopped communicating with me. Any trace of him was gone from all my devices.

At first I was confused but then late one night, Matthew called me in a sudden panic. He drove to my house, picked me up and drove around as I tried to decipher all the words I could between his constant sobs.  He found the local diner we used to hang out in and stopped the car.  He wiped some tears off his sleeve as he looked at my face. “This is the last time I’m going to tell you that I love you.” he confessed to my sudden bewilderment.

“Why? What happened?” I asked as we both got out of the car. It was a cold and chilly night and normally Matthew would have given me his Bomber jacket to wear but this time was different.

This time he looked at me as if I was a complete stranger.  Matthew refused to even look at me inside the diner and was silent the entire time of our meal. “So is this goodbye then?” I asked.

He could see my eyes developing huge puddles of tears pleading to reconsider but instead he pushed a crumpled up bill towards my nose signaling me to pay for our meal and leave.

I thanked our waitress as I saw Matthew suddenly cheerful in speaking with a female caller on his cell phone.

I left outside to wait for my cab as a wave of sadness suddenly hit me. Inside the cab, I cried like a baby before being hushed by my cab driver. “You know my sister is a casting agent. She could use a good kid like you.” he said, handing me her business card.

I dried my tears with a tissue as I paid and thanked the driver not knowing what big opportunities lay ahead of me.

Soon after I called the cab driver’s sister, I was cast in two local commercials which led to work in local catalog and soon a small part in a movie.

Maybe Matthew breaking up with me was a sudden blessing in disguise…. tc_mark.gif?m=1333992719g

#565 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Had the overwhelming urge to share this with anyone.

Makayla was in my grade. I had known her since the fourth grade. We were never friends. We never had a full conversation alone. She had a perfect complexion and perfect hair that I never admitted to being envious of. She always seemed older than everyone else—looked it, too.

Makayla will have been shot two years ago as of tomorrow. She died November 23rd. "The 23rd is Miley Cyrus' birthday." No, it's *#&$%%ing not. It's the day Makayla died.

It did not register in my mind until an hour ago that the anniversary of the shooting is tomorrow. Of course, I had known it was coming up soon, but I had forgotten just how soon.

So, I had forgotten. I hadn't thought about Makayla all day. I rarely do anymore.

But I've had the stupid Miley Cyrus "Hoedown Throwdown" stuck in my head all day. It's annoying and I found myself humming it at the most inopportune moments during class. It was there, though. And I couldn't rid it from my thoughts.

A distinct memory of Makayla came floating back to me just a few minutes ago. Something I hadn't thought about since it had happened. I was in the seventh grade, in science class. We were put into groups. I was with Makayla and Mark, both people that—had I known what they were going to go through—I now would have been pestering for more of their words and thoughts.

Makayla was in chorus. She was pretty good. She was always singing. She was singing the stupid "Hoedown Throwdown." I can't remember if it was driving me crazy or if I was loving it. She was doing the dance moves in her seat and just singing as loud as she wanted. I remember being embarrassed FOR her. I never would have done something like that.

I bought the Hoedown Throwdown on iTunes the very same day.

I know it might be insignificant. I know I might would have bought the song eventually, on my own, bad as it is. But something about the fact that she influenced a decision in my life... She CHANGED something. She made something—tiny as it may be—exist for me.

I think the song—the song I hadn't heard in months that randomly popped into my head today—was a reminder.

I was just looking at all the Instagram photos people are starting to post in remembrance. This is the first time I have ever looked at Makayla and thought that she looked younger than me. Time has passed for everyone else. We have all grown older. She is frozen at fifteen in pictures of hazy memories.

#566 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

Had the overwhelming urge to share this with anyone.
Makayla was in my grade. I had known her since the fourth grade. We were never friends. We never had a full conversation alone. She had a perfect complexion and perfect hair that I never admitted to being envious of. She always seemed older than everyone else—looked it, too.
Makayla will have been shot two years ago as of tomorrow. She died November 23rd. "The 23rd is Miley Cyrus' birthday." No, it's *#&$%%ing not. It's the day Makayla died.
It did not register in my mind until an hour ago that the anniversary of the shooting is tomorrow. Of course, I had known it was coming up soon, but I had forgotten just how soon.
So, I had forgotten. I hadn't thought about Makayla all day. I rarely do anymore.
But I've had the stupid Miley Cyrus "Hoedown Throwdown" stuck in my head all day. It's annoying and I found myself humming it at the most inopportune moments during class. It was there, though. And I couldn't rid it from my thoughts.
A distinct memory of Makayla came floating back to me just a few minutes ago. Something I hadn't thought about since it had happened. I was in the seventh grade, in science class. We were put into groups. I was with Makayla and Mark, both people that—had I known what they were going to go through—I now would have been pestering for more of their words and thoughts.
Makayla was in chorus. She was pretty good. She was always singing. She was singing the stupid "Hoedown Throwdown." I can't remember if it was driving me crazy or if I was loving it. She was doing the dance moves in her seat and just singing as loud as she wanted. I remember being embarrassed FOR her. I never would have done something like that.
I bought the Hoedown Throwdown on iTunes the very same day.
I know it might be insignificant. I know I might would have bought the song eventually, on my own, bad as it is. But something about the fact that she influenced a decision in my life... She CHANGED something. She made something—tiny as it may be—exist for me.
I think the song—the song I hadn't heard in months that randomly popped into my head today—was a reminder.
I was just looking at all the Instagram photos people are starting to post in remembrance. This is the first time I have ever looked at Makayla and thought that she looked younger than me. Time has passed for everyone else. We have all grown older. She is frozen at fifteen in pictures of hazy memories.

This was so touching Jamie. :'( It's surreal how all the people in our lives affect us, whether they are really close or not, and the fact that you can appreciate Makayla's life and remember her through her impact on your life is really awesome.

#567 Kristie Light

Kristie Light

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

NO ESCAPE

There it was looming above me as it always had. But not welcoming nor inviting, neither cheerful nor lively, but the feeling of death itself radiated from the walls of this towering building. A building so strange and foreign, it was hard to believe it was once home. I remember running through these halls as a child and beyond into our envied gardens and further still into the woods. The woods that stood behind this once grand house as guardian and protector. The very woods that had always beckoned to me with wide arms prepared to take me in no matter circumstance or mood. But just as the house, the woods had changed and were just as foreboding and intimidating as this house was now. Perhaps even more.

I had always felt safe here, and whenever I was away, I knew that my home would still be here... waiting.  A constant presence that I could always rely on to comfort me and bring me joy. Yet all I felt now was sadness and fear. Sadness and fear gnawing away at me and following me wherever I went. More so now in the presence of my childhood home.

I remember the day everything changed as though it was yesterday. And as each time I focus on my memories of the past, a flood of emotion rushes through me, leaving me helpless and defenceless with an apprehension of what is to come in the future. Ever since that day, I stopped looking forward and feel as though I have been looking back for most of my life. Willing the events that already passed to have a different outcome.

Never again have I felt the same since. Whoever said that “time can heal any wound” had never met me or gone through what I’d gone through. Never faced what I’d faced. Never seen what I’d seen. And most tormenting of all, never heard what I’d heard. For if they had, they would know that time heals no wound. In fact, time simply taunted, mocked and tortured. For time seemed to stretch out leaving behind people and events that really mattered and stopping for no one. Closing off all options one had and expecting everyone to just move along with it. But that is something I have been unable to do for more than a decade. Because despite the fact that time keeps moving regardless, I am stuck at the moment that everything changed. Suspended in time and never budging. Any slight progress made countered with an even further digress. Any momentary happiness achieved followed by recurring and endless sadness.

All that is left within me is resentment for everything and everyone around me. Not even a tiny spark of me in my youth is evident, replaced by a bitterness that even I can’t recognize. Positive thoughts are foreign, if not forbidden to me. The only thing left within me is a black hole.

I remember that day as it was yesterday. Leaving home to run around the woods with Kiki (my dog), only to return to a burnt and ruined house, devoid of any life or activity. Everyone within had been trapped and robbed of their lives, including my entire family. On that day, it seemed to me that the human population had been wiped out. It still feels like that today. My choice to isolate myself since has been viewed with scepticism by others. To be honest, I wish I had perished in that fire as well. And now I find myself awaiting and longing for my demise. Life no longer holds any appeal to me. In fact, I feel repelled by everything that this Earth has to offer and perhaps even disgusted.

There was still a lingering scent of smoke clinging to the walls and burning my throat. I welcomed the pain and sourness, begging the smoke to devour and suffocate me just as it had everyone in this house. I can still hear the screams and shouts of despair and horror that called out to me while I was in the woods, pulling me towards the house. Only to find it immersed in flames, locking my family and everyone else inside.

My life had been very comfortable up until that moment. The moment that everything changed. I had known nothing but luxury and never was my life clouded, or even tinged, with the slightest of problems. It is because of this that I found, still find, difficulty in dealing with this problem. A problem that could cripple anyone. But not only did it cripple me, it destroyed me. Leaving no fragments for me to attempt at piecing my life back together, only ashes that crumbled away at the slightest touch.

Darkness is now so familiar that I no longer turn or cower away from it as many do. Instead I embrace it and accept it as the only constant in my life. Nothing else can be accepted or trusted to be always - without fail - there.

Everything that I have loved has been taken away from me. My parents, siblings, nanny, cousin, and even my dog; taken from me when they discarded me into social care. Love is the worst emotion one can bear. It toys with your heart only to take what you care for most away. And just like time, love is an enemy. An emotion that simply cannot be tolerated nor displayed in whatever manner.

Hundreds have told me to move on. I’ve watched them plaster smiles on their faces when they catch sight of me. Telling me that everything will be ok, the wounds will heal ‘in time’. They think they assure me, convince me, taking me for a fool. Yet all I see is people with wonderful lives, having gone through nothing close to what I have, but claiming to understand what I am feeling. They don’t know that I can see right through their deceitful lies. And I resent them all for it. Can’t they see that I just want to be left alone?

Isolation and seclusion is my only cure. Not positivity, hope, belief in a brighter future as everyone says. They know nothing of what I am going through, much less how to cure it. I sometimes feel like taking my own life, it seems like the best possible solution. But whenever I think of doing so, I remember my loved ones and know that committing such an atrocity would dishonour and shame them. When they themselves were robbed of their right to live, how could I willingly halt my life?   

It may seem that I am resigned and ungrateful to all help offered. That I am simply an acrimonious shell that shuns away any assistance or efforts to cheer me and help me forget what happened. But you are wrong. I have attempted all possible answers provided and placed immense exertion into achieving a decent life. One where I don’t wake up every morning with tears in my eyes, and spend the day with a lingering feeling of failure.

I may be bitter and cold and unapproachable, but at least I know that I have tried. I have done my best to “move on”! Because contrary to everyone’s beliefs and thoughts, they don’t know me, and least of all my condition.

I’ve overheard them discussing me. Saying that I am afraid to let go and finally let out these emotions that torment me. Calling the nightmare that took place slightly over a decade ago an “incident”. What’s worse is that they believe that I am facing trauma because the so–called “incident” took place at such a tender age. An age, apparently, where one makes it or breaks it.

Hope and belief for a perfect and just world has clouded the minds of humanity. I find it pathetic that humans are determined to believe that they are pulling all the strings, controlling their lives. I will admit that there was a time that I myself believed the same. However, if my experience is anything to go by, control is the least we have over our path and “destiny”. What people don’t realize is that humans are irrelevant pawns in the greater scheme. Nature takes whichever path it pleases and if you are one of the deluded with expectations and a mapped path, you have set yourself on a road for nothing but disappointment as long as you live.

I am not saying that making plans and arrangements and having dreams and aims are wrong. Simply that you should not dictate they way your life will pan out, preventing plenty of unnecessary heartache. Life is unpredictable, a gamble even. It changes in an instant and one should always be ready and prepared for that change. If you’re not, you might just end up like me; cold, distant, unappreciative, dark, disturbed and most of all, lonely. I believe that I am justified in saying that another enemy in my lengthening list of all things evil is “expectations”. A long standing motto of mine is, “always expect the worst for disappointment to be minimized.”

I was once a victim of expectations. Expectations of a lovely, joyous future that was exactly the same as it was then. For me, there was a positive side to everything and everyone. Even in things and people that seemed past redemption. The saying, “there is a silver lining around every cloud” rang true for me and was a reflection that was clearly projected for all to see. And most were envious of this quality, some pitiful. This house and all that happened here was a reminder that harbouring expectations was a curse. A curse of choice that could be prevented. 

I ran my hand along the rough, rugged and scarred wall. Thinking back to my happy memories, when this house had stood regal and beautiful above the others. It was ironic that all my happy and peaceful times were made here, yet they were shadowed by the one dark and traumatic memory. The memory I longed to forget but couldn’t seem to shake out of my mind. The memory that clung to me like lice eggs clung to strands of hair, refusing to let go. It was with this memory that I lived with now. A punishment and burden that I could never toss away or rid myself of. And just like me, this house was scarred for life. Never to return to the once jovial, bright place it once was. Forever dark and brooding without resurrection. In that, we were exactly the same.

Denial has kept me moving for many years. But as I stood here and watched the sun slowly sink behind my childhood home, I realised that there was no turning back. No going back to how things had been before. I was trapped in the present just as my family had been trapped by the fumes and flames. This thought crushed me. Making me recede even further into my shell, knowing that I couldn’t live in the past. But also aware that I couldn’t let go and move on.

I looked around me at the chipped walls, the broken glass and tiles, the ashes covering the floor. Some remains of a once golden curtain that now seemed gray. And further outside where the grass stood tall and bushes and shrubs had grown over their boundaries. Where once tended for flowers were now growing wild among the weeds. It was the very picture of disorder and mayhem. Abandoned and forgotten, beyond revival and repair.

Do you know what hurts the most? It’s not the pain, or the dread, or even this lingering sense of depression that could someday shove me over the edge. No, it is all these pathetic feelings and emotions that haunt me. Love, expectations and hope that continue to resurface the moment I believe that all will be alright. Even when I think I have buried them so deep that it will be impossible for them to pop right back, they do the unachievable and re-emerge. Haunting me and making my life a living hell, restarting the seemingly unending cycle of dread and disappointment. I may put on an act of bravado claiming that I feel no love, no expectations, no hope or faith...but I know more than anyone else that denial is a dark cloud that will forever remain with me.

However, as I walked away from the house, the inconceivable happened. I felt as though a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders. No longer did I believe that my mother was just around the corner or that my brother would sneak up on me at any moment to frighten me. And as I drove away from the house that I had refused to revisit since that dreadful nightmare, I felt myself release my grip on those awful memories and times and open my mind to the happier times spent with my family. Perhaps facing my fears and forcing myself to return to this cursed place had been the right thing to do after all. Perhaps this is what my family wanted, for me to live a normal happy life and not be tormented by the memory of their demise. If so, then I would put more effort and try to remember the good times and attempt at forgetting the only bad one. In my rear view mirror, I watched the house grow smaller as I drove away, and with it my dread and pain began to lessen. I caught myself thinking of what was to come in the future and felt a smile stretch across my face. A smile! At that point was when I realised that perhaps everything would be okay and maybe, just maybe, there was a chance of escaping this torment.

Hope you enjoyed my short story even though it is sort of depressing.

#568 Kristie Light

Kristie Light

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

The Compulsion to Lie

The concept of a compulsive liar was a foreign concept to me until sometime during the eighth grade. I had never understand it before—who would feel the need to just lie? It didn't happen to me, so therefore I couldn't comprehend why a compulsive liar even existed. The term wasn't one I used. 

It all changed one day when I was talking to what I then considered my best "school" friend, a girl who I had gone to elementary school with, but hadn't become friends with until middle school rolled around. She mentioned someone or something—maybe it had been a dance class she had been in with her "Cool Cousin Conner." I'm not sure. But I knew in that moment that what she had said wasn't true. She had told me a completely different story earlier. She was...lying?

I attributed it to bad memory. A slip. A mistake. She had too busy a life to remember what was happening when and who she had seen or hung out with. 

I managed to except this made up theory about her "slips" until sometime during my ninth grade year. After that, I gave up on trying to "cover" for her in my mind. She was a compulsive liar. No ifs, and, or buts about it. 

She felt the need to lie about everything. Everyone. But the thing was...were they even lies? It wasn't like she lied to people, saying "Yeah, I got an A on the test" when she really got a C. No, it was a completely different type of lie. 

She made up people. And situations. She would tell me about her "rich cousin Tripp" and the "crazy bar" he took her to. She would mention how her parents marriage was failing. How some boy was "after her." Nothing she said had any truth to it at all. Because they were all stories.

Fiction. Absolute fiction. The people, the places, the experiences didn't exist. She had an entire alternate life that didn't actually occur. Till this day, I regret not writing down all this fiction. Because what a killer book it would have made. 

I still can't explain what made me remain friends with her for so long. Somewhere in the beginning of high school, it had morphed into not just me and her, but into me, her, Jordan, and Taylor. The four whatevers. I knew they had to know about her lying, but we didn't talk about it. Never did. I thought of it as some unspoken understanding. The three of us knew. Hell, maybe even she knew we knew. One thing was clear though: we didn't talk about it. 

Until one night we did. 

It had been a fun night, complete with making homecoming T-Shirts and screwed up Oreo brownies at my house. She and Jordan had to go home, but Taylor asked if she could spend the night. I said duh, but it was actually the first time that Taylor had spent the night without it being "us four." It was always us four. Never separate. 

It happened around 2 AM. We were in the room that had the biggest bed. It had basically been transformed into the "us four" sleepover room. That night it was just me and Taylor though. 

Oh, and my brother Jared. He's an unfortunate important part of the story. While we were sprawled out on the bed, he was sitting in the recliner. 

We got to talking. It was that late night talking that's kind of dangerous. You feel like you might say too much or admit something you never intended to. One conversation turned into another and we landed on the topic of her. 

We mentioned a couple things. Something about her boyfriend. Something about someone who didn't exist. Suddenly we were saying it all. 

She lies. 

She's a liar. 

She's a compulsive liar. 

More was discovered. How much crap she really talked about each of us behind our backs. How it might be that she's mentally crazy. 

Hours of conversations. We talked, Jared listened. Then finally, somewhere around 4 AM, he looked at the both of us and slowly said, "You've said too much."

He kept saying it, even as we defended ourselves, saying all we had said was the truth. He said no, said that this was it. We had said too much to go back to school on Monday and act normal. 

You've said too much.

I might as well go ahead and mention that he had smoked an incredibly ridiculous amount of weed and was high out of his mind, even two hours after he had done it. His untrustworthy mental state made Taylor and me blow off his statement. 

It all came spiraling down quickly after that. 

Taylor and I couldn't stop the glances we shared when she lied about something all week after that. Homecoming was that Friday. I remember walking away from her and Taylor for ten minutes to hang out with another friend. 

I remember her being mad about it. Acting like I was a *%^## for talking to someone who wasn't in "our four." I remember asking Taylor if she had said anything behind my back about it. She had. I was right. I was done. I just didn't know it yet. 

I got a call from her boyfriend during that week. I had felt bad for him ever since they had started dating. Because there was no way he knew about her lying, not yet. He hadn't been with her long enough to catch on. But there he was, calling ME, someone he hardly knew, asking me point blank. 

"Do you think she lies?"

I told him yes. Yes, Matt, she lies. She lies all the time, about everything, about anyone, and TO anyone. 

For the next couple weeks, him, Taylor, and me were best friends. They came over a couple times a week. We talked. He didn't know what to do. He told me that if anyone could talk some sense into her, it would be me. I never have understood what he meant by that. Taylor cried because of some guy that things had been screwed up with, ultimately because of her. I didn't cry. Taylor's always been a bit emotional. 

One day, at lunch I think, I was sitting with Taylor, Jordan, and a girl named Sarah. The lying came up, but only one lie; Sarah had been the one to bring it up anyway. It wasn't too big a deal, but I still felt awkward discussing it in front of Jordan. She didn't know we had talked about the lying. 

Then, somewhere on the walk from lunch to our next class, Jordan said, "Come on, guys. We know she lies."

And suddenly we were free to talk. 

Jordan knew more than Taylor and me ever did. They had known each other longer, after all. Taylor, Jordan, and I spent the next class discussing it. 

Hell, we discussed it with the whole block. It was a dumb class, one full of guys and a teacher who was concerned with mowing the baseball field instead of teaching. We sat outside and vented to the random guys about it while they laughed and we got it out of our systems. 

There was a particular guy in the class. I call him Cato. He's one of my best friends now. She had made up a lie about him once, so we told him about it. 

He said he was going to call her out on it. 

It was that decision—his random decision—that led to my last conversation with her. Until now, what happened after school that day is still referred to as "The Intervention."

It was me. It was Taylor. It was Jared and Cato. We were sitting on truck tailgates, typical my-school fashion, waiting for her to come out. She had to make up a quiz in some class. The parking lot was cleared by the time she came outside to us. 

Cato confronted her. She had a bad excuse. Taylor confronted her. She had bad excuses. Jared confronted her.  She lied about something. 

There's nothing I regret more than not saying anything that day. But I do think what I did that day sealed my decision—I listened. To every word she said. She lied, and lied, and lied. I couldn't bring myself to call her out. I think I said one sentence, maybe. She was defending some ex-boyfriend she had made up and I simply said, "Oh, he isn't even real."

I could have just said "none of this real." That would have been more accurate. 

Taylor and her were still in an argument about something when I turned to Jared and said "let's go." He started up the truck and I was getting in when Cato grabbed me and asked if I was okay. 

I was honest. I told him no. I told him I was mad. I was trying not to cry my eyes out because she didn't deserve to see me upset over something as stupid as her. 

The ten minute drive home was short, but I cried and somehow managed to get all my frustration out right then in those ten minutes. I think Jared said something comforting, but I can't remember. All I know is that in those few minutes, I accepted it. 

I accepted that what I had thought wasn't true. I had always believed that, if confronted, she would confess. She would admit to lying, to being a liar. But she hadn't. So I accepted that she was what she was and that maybe, one day, she would change. But until that day, I couldn't put myself through anymore of her bullshit. 

I got home. I had to explain it to my mom. I didn't cry because I'm not a crier. Crying in front of Jared had been weird enough. Taylor came over that night. My best friend Cheyenne came over too. The day ended on an honest-to-God good note. 

What ensued after that day were the most awkward weeks of my life. Sometimes I would change the way I walked to class so I wouldn't see her. She switched where she parked in the morning. When we saw each other, we didn't really see each because of how fast we avoided eye contact. It was one of those silent understandings—we weren't friends anymore. 

Things changed as far as friendships went. Taylor and I become incredibly close. Jordan and I developed a new friendship; it was less forced and I loved it. I didn't see Matt for months. I started hanging out with Cato and more of Jared's friends—one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

It's been almost a year now. I don't ever see her anymore. She and Matt are still dating. I don't get that one, but I'm almost happy for them, in a weird way. In my mind, the fact that they're still together means that maybe she was able to confess to him that she had been lying. At least that's what I like to think. 

So the compulsion to lie is something I could still say I don't understand, but maybe I do get it. I get that she wanted to stand out and sound like her life was so much better than everyone else's. I get that she was trying to make those around her jealous with all her cool little stories. I get it all. 

But she's still a lying *%^##. 

Oops. Maybe I've said too much. 

I really like your story and how you developed on lies. I'm really curious to know if it's true though? or fiction?

#569 Kristie Light

Kristie Light

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

this got published and i am kinda shocked since i agree with the critics-flimsy confusing plot with alot of vague details. What do u guys think?

The People Who Change Your Life Forever

They say when you meet someone; they have the ability to change your life forever.

In my case, this was a boy named Matthew.

We met by accident. I was at Shopland with my mother and godmother ordering my usual pizza and smoothie combo when the cashier denied my mother’s AmEx card.  Flustered, my mother turned to my godmother who was furiously scrounging in her bag to come up with some cash when a small tap on my back came.

Behind me was Matthew, waving a ten dollar bill in my direction. He had a big grin on his face and instructed me to keep the change. “We’re in the same History class together. “he chuckled.

I gave the bill to my mother who promptly paid for our food as my godmother and my mother both thanked Matthew profusely for his unexpected act of kindness.

The next day at school, a single plastic daisy was attached to my locker. When I looked around to see who had done it, a pair of dirty Timberland boots greeted me from underneath the door of the next locker.

“A lovely girl deserves a flower doesn’t she? “Matthew winked. He was holding the remainder of the bouquet in his hand as he nervously gave it to me. I could see his hands shaking. I took the bouquet and embraced him in the hallway. “Thanks.” I said, “You’re a really cool guy.” Matthew probably took that as a sign that I liked him because he then lifted me up to meet his lips. He tasted like Nacho cheese and presumably had lunch before coming to see me.

Whatever it was, it seemed to have started the beginning of something amazing.

Matthew and I were virtually inseparable for almost six months in a blissful relationship when suddenly out of the blue, Matthew stopped communicating with me. Any trace of him was gone from all my devices.

At first I was confused but then late one night, Matthew called me in a sudden panic. He drove to my house, picked me up and drove around as I tried to decipher all the words I could between his constant sobs.  He found the local diner we used to hang out in and stopped the car.  He wiped some tears off his sleeve as he looked at my face. “This is the last time I’m going to tell you that I love you.” he confessed to my sudden bewilderment.

“Why? What happened?” I asked as we both got out of the car. It was a cold and chilly night and normally Matthew would have given me his Bomber jacket to wear but this time was different.

This time he looked at me as if I was a complete stranger.  Matthew refused to even look at me inside the diner and was silent the entire time of our meal. “So is this goodbye then?” I asked.

He could see my eyes developing huge puddles of tears pleading to reconsider but instead he pushed a crumpled up bill towards my nose signaling me to pay for our meal and leave.

I thanked our waitress as I saw Matthew suddenly cheerful in speaking with a female caller on his cell phone.

I left outside to wait for my cab as a wave of sadness suddenly hit me. Inside the cab, I cried like a baby before being hushed by my cab driver. “You know my sister is a casting agent. She could use a good kid like you.” he said, handing me her business card.

I dried my tears with a tissue as I paid and thanked the driver not knowing what big opportunities lay ahead of me.

Soon after I called the cab driver’s sister, I was cast in two local commercials which led to work in local catalog and soon a small part in a movie.

Maybe Matthew breaking up with me was a sudden blessing in disguise…. tc_mark.gif?m=1333992719g

I think you're story has a tragic ending but I love how you turned that and gave it a positive outlook :icon_biggrin:. I love it!

#570 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Regarding No Escape : I loved it, because it`s beautifully depressing and you captured painful emotions so remarkably well. So hauntingly poetic. 

#571 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

I really like your story and how you developed on lies. I'm really curious to know if it's true though? or fiction?

Oh thanks :D

And yeah, it is true. Happened a little over a year ago, though it feels like a lifetime! Still don't like that b.itch lol. Thanks again :)

#572 KatieCakes

KatieCakes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hey everyone! So I kinda hoped there would be a Christmas writing contest this year because I had an idea for a short story but since there wasn't one, I've written the story anyway and just thought I'd share it with you. It's just a little Christmas story, hope you like it and MERRY CHRISTMAS! x

The Only Present Under The Tree

I didn’t want to leave.

I didn’t want to have to say goodbye. But I couldn’t ignore it anymore, couldn’t pretend that it wasn’t actually going to happen. This would be our last Christmas together. On January 1st, I was going to be leaving everything I know behind, to start a new life, on the other side of the world.

I’ll admit I’d been selfish over the past couple of months, barley talking to my dad since he announced the new job in Australia. It wasn’t his fault that the company he worked for went bust. I suppose I should be grateful, many people would kill for an opportunity to experience life in a different country. But I didn’t want any of that, I just wanted Kye.

We’d grown up together, living next door from each other since we were toddlers. We’d been best friends for years, but when I was fourteen, he’d told me he didn’t want to be friends. He’d wanted to be more than that.

We’d been through high school together, faced every problem thrown at us, beat down the ‘you’re young, it won’t last’ comments from almost everyone. And now we were going to have an ocean between us. I won’t be able to just go next door and see his face, smiling at me, making me feel like everything was going to be alright.

I jumped when I heard the doorbell ring from downstairs. My pulse skittered, but not in its usual, excited way whenever I was expecting Kye to call round. I rushed down the staircase and took a last look at myself in the mirror by the front door. I looked tired. After weeks of arguing with my dad and endless hours of crying in my bedroom, I wasn’t looking my best. I quickly wiped away a small mascara smudge before pulling the door open.

Kye bounded into the hallway without invitation. He never needed one anyway.

“Merry Christmas Eve, you,” he said cheerfully before leaning in to give me a kiss before I’d even shut the door. When we pulled apart, he brandished a brown paper bag in front of my face. “Mum baked you some cookies,” he told me. “You know, for Santa.” He gave me a wink and I couldn’t help but smile.

His mum, Sara, had done a lot for me since my mum passed away early this year. She’d always stepped in to make sure I had a motherly figure I could go to whenever I needed to talk. She was close to my mum, so it was nice to talk over our happy memories of her. Whenever I tried to talk about the happier times with dad, he’d become distant and make excuses to leave the room.

I took the bag from Kye and smiled up at him. He looked angelic with his blonde, wavy hair falling into his eyes slightly.

“I’ll be sure to say thanks when I come round tomorrow,” I said to him, already dreading the Christmas dinner that Sara had planned for tomorrow. I had a feeling it was going to be emotional.

“Are you sure you don’t want to exchange presents today?” he asked with a sparkle in his eyes. “We’re not that many hours away from Christmas now, so it’s totally fine.”

“No,” I warned playfully. “No presents until Christmas, okay?”

“I suppose,” he sighed.

He was good at pretending everything was fine. Looking at the two of us now, saving face in front of each other, no one would know that we’d be saying our farewells next week. Kye had been trying to act like nothing was happening. But it was happening, I was moving and he’d have to face it soon.

“Is your dad not home yet?” he asked, glancing around the hallway, waiting for my dad to appear.

“He’s still out,” I told him.

Dad was having goodbye drinks with some of his friends from our town. He wanted to say goodbye now, at Christmas, rather than just before we left. He’d encouraged me to make an effort to spend time with everyone before I left but I think he knew I’d rather spend every possible moment that I could with Kye. I knew my dad felt guilty for making me move to another country and I certainly felt guilty for taking it out on him, but I couldn’t hide my anger. I couldn’t mask how upset I was. Believe me, I’d tried.

“Come on,” I said, grabbing Kye’s hand and dragging him towards the sitting room. “Let’s watch a cheesy Christmas movie, since you love them so much.”

“I do not,” he protested, but I knew how much he liked pathetically romantic, festive films with happy endings.

We curled up on the sofa together and watched a cute film about small town at Christmas. Kye seemed to enjoy it. I tried to, but I just couldn’t concentrate. I kept thinking about how different the next Christmas would be for me, for both of us. I sat up when the credits started to roll.

“Kye, we need to talk,” I said hesitantly. I didn’t want this conversation any more than he did, but we were running out of time. “I only have little over week left before I move—”

“Ella, don’t,” he interrupted. “Not now, please. It’s Christmas Eve.”

“Exactly,” I continued. “I’m leaving on New Year’s Day, Kye. You can’t keep ignoring it.”

“I’m not ignoring it,” he argued. “I just…” His voice trailed off. He stood up from the sofa and walked over to the Christmas tree by the window. We’d decorated it just two weeks before. “I just wanted us to have a happy Christmas,” he sighed. “I didn’t want this hanging over us. Can we not just forget that it’s happening for one more day?”

He turned back around to look at me, his eyes staring down at mine. He was hurt, just as I was, and there was nothing we could do about it. I walked over to join him by the tree.

“What’s going to happen to us, Kye?” I whispered, as though saying it quietly would make it less difficult.

It was the question that had been burnt into the back of my mind since I found out I was moving. It had hung over the two of us like a raging storm cloud, ready to burst, but neither of us had dared to bring it up before now.

“What’s going to happen to us when I leave?” I asked again. “What are we going to do?”

I wanted him to have all the answers. I wanted him to wrap his arms around me and tell me that it was going to be fine, like he usually did. But this time, he couldn’t.

“We can make this work, Ella,” he said determinedly, grabbing hold of my shoulders. “I promise we can. We can keep in touch with each other all the time, we have Skype—”

“For how long?” I cut in. “How long are we going to be able to keep that up?”

He knew exactly what I meant. We weren’t stupid; we both knew how little a chance long distance relationships actually stood at working out. How long would it be before we started getting frustrated by not being able to do simple things like hug each other? Or go on dates? Or simply walk around together, holding hands? We were going to want that. As much as the thought of Kye doing any of that with another girl made my heart ache, I couldn’t expect him to just settle for seeing me on a computer screen every night. It wasn’t fair.

“I can’t make you do that,” I told him, trying to keep my voice from breaking.

“I want to,” he insisted. “I don’t care how we see each other. I don’t care if the only contact we have is through a phone call. I’d rather have that than nothing. I don’t want anyone else, Ella.”  

I believed him. I knew he meant it. Yes, we were only sixteen and yes, we had our whole lives ahead of us, but we only wanted each other. An ocean between us wasn’t going to change that.

It was then that I allowed myself to cry. I’d done plenty of crying over the past few weeks, but never in front of Kye. I’d carried on plastering a smile on my face, pretending it was fine, but not now, not anymore.

He wrapped his arms around me whilst I cried, kissing my forehead and telling me that distance doesn’t matter. I don’t know how long we’d been standing there for when we heard the front door open. I jumped back from Kye as my dad walked into the room. I turned to face the tree as I quickly tried to wipe away the tears.

I turned back around with an overly enthusiastic smile on my face.

“Hey, dad,” I greeted him. “Good night?”

“It was,” he replied, glancing between Kye and me.

I could tell by the look on his face that he clearly knew what we’d been talking about. I looked over at Kye, who was trying to avoid my dad’s eyes. He was as hurt as I was but he didn’t want to show it, not in front of my dad.

“I best get going, anyway,” Kye said a few seconds later. “I’ll see you tomorrow, yeah?”

I nodded. “I’ll see you in the morning.” He leant forward to kiss my cheek before walking towards the door.

“See you tomorrow, Kye,” dad said to him. “Tell your folks I can’t wait for dinner. I’ll bring a bottle.”

“Will do,” Kye replied cheerily. I watched him walk out of the sitting room. “Hey,” he said, popping his head back around the door. “You never know, we might just get snow the Christmas.”

“Fingers crossed,” I told him. He gave me one last smile before leaving.

We’d wanted a white Christmas for years, but it never happened. Every year, Kye would get optimistic. He loved snow. I wondered if it would snow next year, whilst I wasn’t here. The thought broke my heart.

When I heard the front door close, I walked into the hallway, heading for the stairs.

“Are you off to bed already?” dad asked me.

“I’m tired,” I told him. I was lying, of course. I don’t think I could’ve slept even if I’d wanted to, but I needed to be alone. “I want to be lively for tomorrow.”

Dad nodded before opening his mouth to say something. He hesitated and then thought better of it. He simply said, “Goodnight, Ella.”

I went up to my bedroom and threw myself down onto my bed. I glanced around, looking at the boxes that I’d already started to fill. Most of my pictures were down from my walls already, but I still had my corkboard hanging at the side of my mirror, filled with pictures of Kye, me and Lila, one of my closest friends. That was another goodbye I was dreading. It was going to be a difficult week.

Feeling emotionally drained, I pulled some pyjamas on and crawled into bed. About an hour later, I heard dad walking up the stairs and closing his bedroom door.

I lay there for hours, looking out at the room that would no longer be mine after next week. I stared at the picture of mum that was on my bedside table. It was a picture of her inside Kendall Books, her favourite independent bookshop in our town. She adored the owner, Mr Kendall. He always had a new read for her every time she went in. I still had all of her old books, packed up and ready to take with me.

I continued to toss and turn in my bed, trying to fall asleep. The last time I stayed awake that long on Christmas Eve was when I was a kid. I couldn’t sleep from excitement and when I’d heard rustling downstairs, I’d jumped out of bed to go and have a look. Of course, I know now that it was my dad dressing up as Santa each year, but back then it was the most amazing thing in the world. I only wished it was excitement that was keeping me from sleep this year.

I’d just finally started to nod off when I heard movement downstairs. I clambered out of bed and tiptoed my way to the staircase. I walked down a few steps so that I could see through to the sitting room. I spotted my dad standing there, wearing a Santa hat. My dad, after all these years, still snuck downstairs in the night to put presents under the tree.

I watched him walk away from the tree and over to the fireplace. He picked up a picture of him, me and mum. It was one of my favourite pictures of all of us, standing outside the house. It was taken by Kye after my mum went into remission. She had this huge, beaming smile on her face, thinking that it was finally all over. We didn’t know back then that cancer was going to come back.

I saw my dad’s shoulders shaking. I knew that he’d hate knowing that I was watching him cry, but I walked down the last few steps and entered the sitting room.

“Ella,” he said, startled, when he saw me. “What are you doing down here?”

“I could ask you the same question,” I told him. “I’m pretty sure you don’t have to pretend to be Santa anymore, dad.”

Despite the tears he was trying to blink away, he let out a chuckle.

“I know,” he said. “It was a habit that I never grew out of.”

“You don’t have to hide it from me, you know,” I told him, looking at the picture in his hand. “You’re allowed to be sad. You’re allowed to miss her.”

“When did you get so grown up, hey?” he sighed.

He put the picture back down onto the fireplace and looked towards the tree. I followed his gaze and saw that there were no boxes underneath the branches. There was just an envelope. I glanced back at my dad, confused.

“Go ahead,” he urged. “Take a look.”

I stepped towards the tree, eyeing up the large envelope. I noticed it was addressed to dad. Curiously, I crouched down to pick it up.

“It’s yours,” I told him, wondering if he’d made a mistake.

“I know,” he laughed. “But it’s just as exciting for you as it is for me.”

I looked back down at the envelope in my hands. It was quite heavy. I opened it slowly and peered inside. It seemed like a few letters and a booklet. I pulled out the first letter.

Reading over it, I almost dropped the envelope in surprise. It was a letter to say that dad was now the official owner of Kendall Books.

“What…what does this mean?” I stuttered.

“It means I own the shop now, obviously,” dad laughed.

“I don’t understand,” I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

“Old Mr Kendall had decided enough was enough, Ella,” he explained. “He’s is getting on a bit now. You know he didn’t have any kids he could rely on to take over the shop, so he asked me.”

“Seriously?” I squealed.

“I only took the job in Australia because I thought I had no other choice,” he told me, walking over to take the envelope from me. “I thought that moving to a different country would be better, a fresh start. I was trying to run from the memories.” He looked over at the picture on the fireplace again. “I’ve realised now that I can’t escape it. She’s gone and she’s not coming back, but I can’t just bury my head in the sand. I have to accept it, and I have to honour her memory, not tuck it away.”  

“You really mean it?” I asked him.

“That’s where I was today,” he told me, pointing at the envelope. “I was sorting out the details with Mr Kendall, not saying my goodbyes.”  

I couldn’t believe it. It didn’t feel real. We were staying here. I wouldn’t have to leave Kye. Not only were we staying here, but we were going to take over mum’s favourite place. It felt a dream. I rushed over to my dad and hugged him.

“I’m sorry for how I’ve acted, Ella,” he said to me. “If you ever want to talk about your mum, you can come to me, okay?”

I pulled away and nodded, wiping away the tears that had started to spill from my eyes once again. I was pretty sure I could create an ocean with the amount of tears I’d spilt over the past few weeks.

As I stood there, I noticed that the light from outside the window seemed a little strange. It wasn’t like the usual night-time sky. I took a few steps towards the window and peered through the blinds.

Snow. There was a thin layer of snow covering the floor and there was more falling down from the clouds above. Kye had finally gotten his wish.

“Looks like we’ll be getting a white Christmas after all,” dad said, peering over my head at the snow outside.

“I love you, dad,” I said to him, stepping away from the window.

“Love you too, kiddo,” he replied, ruffling my hair. “Now get to bed.”

I beamed at him before walking out of the room. I turned at the doorway and saw him putting the envelope back where I found it so that when I woke up, it would still be there, proof that all of this was real.  

It was the only present I needed under the tree.

#573 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

"Starbucks"

You could say it started out like any other day but to me, my gut feeling seemed to say otherwise, I was in my sister's car exiting her passenger door when I spotted him stumbling outside of a local Starbucks juggling a large container of coffee in one hand while trying to listen to his cell phone on his shoulder. His cell phone dropped to the floor as my instincts kicked in to hand it back.

Our fingers briefly touched as his ocean blue eyes soon met mine."Hi Tim"I said almost breathlessly, Tim, my ex-boyfriend. He looked like a character from Duck Dynasty with a long beard and hunting uniform to match. though Tim was just a baby at 21, he looked so much older. My eyes started to water as Tim flashed a shy smile."I thought you forgot me Kate."he mustered as I fished inside my pants pockets for a crumpled blue envelope."I kept this.. for many years. Unsure if I woud ever see you again.. I wrote it on my birthday."I said, my voice slightly trembling.

"Word on the street was that you moved away because of me so this was my response."I said. Tim lit a cigarette and let out a laugh that turned into a cough. He blew smoke into my face.

"Don't believe everything you hear Kate.Her name was Jasmine. She lived in Portland and we fell in love but then I found out she was also seeing my boss so I moved back."

"So who are you seeing now?"I asked slightly sadly. Tim handed me his cell phone and coffee cups as he ripped open the letter. He snubbed his cigarette onto the envelope as he lit another one from his mouth.He opened my letter as my sister barked towards us."Kate!"she protested,"I'm cold!" I gestured towards Tim who was reading my letter."I'll meet you inside!"I said,pointing to Tim.

I could see Tim reading my letter with his glasses on briefly chewing on the stub of his cigarette. He spit out the stub and lit another one as he gestured to move to a table outside the cafe.

I wiped some tears away as I acted like a child in time out afraid what Tim might say. His eyes were still focused on my letter as he suddenly dropped it onto the table."Wow Kate, I'm shocked."he said as his phone started to buzz wildly."Because it's too late right?"I said, suddenly feeling my heart sink deep inside my chest. "Maybe this was a bad idea."I said softly,leaving Tim to answer his call. He gestured me back to the table."That was my mom. She's coming to pick me up."he said, slipping his phone inside his jacket pocket as he leveled himself to hold the cups of coffee.

'I appreciate your letter Kate but I'm really nothing special."Tim confessed. "Shut up!"I said,"You are and will always be:To me! It's just that you have a bad habit of dating stupid girls who end up breaking your heart!"I said. "And yet in your letter confessed you would never right?"Tim asked. I could see his mother's van pulling up in front of us. "I'm a girl to my wo-"before I could finish, I could feel Tim's beard on my lips."Word"I said breathlessly. Tim smiled at me as he waved my letter to his sister who was in the back seat complaining about a song on the radio."It's Kelly Clarkson Hannah!"I chimed in. Tim handed the coffee cups to his mother who gave me a small pat on the back."So are you two together again?"she winked Tim and I. Tim eagerly grabbed my hand as he raised it up towards the sky"To be continued!"he yelled as I yelled the same.

#574 Kristie Light

Kristie Light

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Regarding No Escape : I loved it, because it`s beautifully depressing and you captured painful emotions so remarkably well. So hauntingly poetic. 

Thanks. It's a real booster to hear someone with talent comment so positively on it especially as I took a huge step to post this for everyone. Usually I'm extremely relunctant to do anything with my writing.

#575 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hi guys. The kid is back. This is where I'm gonna test my new story, Grocery Bag Princess!

It's about this young girl named Molly Olivia Pepper-MOP to her friends, an ordinary girl working as a cashier at Mack's her town's local grocery store.

Growing up with two older sisters, Molly was always the under appreciated one so when famed celebrity stylist Hunter Tuskman-"Tusky"announces a casting call for a new makeover show,

Molly's world will be turned upside down!

Prologue

December 2013

"How much longer is it?"my sister's boyfriend Jasper groans. We're walking in the drenched rain of Washington DC's Chinatown district looking for a light blue building.

"Soon!"my sister Miranda huffs as we march forth behind her. We can hear someone singing on a speaker as we inch closer towards a parade line of people dressed in neon paint.

"Come join us!"one guy in a blinking Liite Brite t-shirt tells me, blowing a horn in my ear. "But my sister!"I exclaim as I spot her and Jasper munching on some cold shrimp. A young girl dressed all in green is passing around a platter of it. "Having fun yet?"my sister asks. She puts a silver New Year's tiara on me then grabs some bright "2014"glasses from Jasper's pocket.

"Ready to get rid of 2013?"she asks. I nod my head.

2013 meant being fired from a receptionist job I held a vet's office but also it gave me one of the baddest breakups in my life.

Jeff and I dated for a few months. I loved him but he seemed to love himself more as his breakup note was an 8X10 of himself posing in the mirror.

(Molly, I love you but I love myself in the picture more, Jeff)

which now leads to our Chinatown excursion with Jasper desperately trying to set me up with one of his friends. "You'll like him! I promise!"
Jasper pleads with me as he waves over an purple haired young man with an enlarged tattoo exposed over his stomach.

"This is Molly!"Jasper says,as he makes me stick out my hand.

I shake the guys hand as we all move close to a bar with an outdoor TV.

Ryan Seacrest is on interviewing the latest one hit wonder when in the camera moves to another young man.

He's dressed sharply all in purple with a hat that could rival the Arby's logo one.

"So Hunter,about your new show."Ryan starts to say,

my sister and Jasper gasp in awe as they both grab for my arms.

Hunter smiles proudly."It's a new kind of makeover show. One that will inspire girls of all kinds! I'm looking for everyone!"he says.

as Ryan lists off who Hunter has worked with. "I want to go for the everygirl now and if she's out there I need to meet her!"he says

as Ryan flashes a screen in where to apply. Hunter then does some small talk as my sister,Jasper and his friend all look at me.

"Molly!"my sister exclaims,"That could be you!"

She examines my look-a plain sweater, jeans and beat up Converse.

She scribbles the website down eager with excitement."This is what you will do in 2014!"

Before I can say anything, the clock strikes midnight as Jasper's friend lays a slobbery kiss on me to ring in the new year.

I see my sister come up for air from Jasper as she screams"Happy New Year!"

The crowd has partially dissolved as Jasper's friend asks for my number."You're Morgan's sister!."he cackles,"I have her number too!"

I nod my head as my sister and Jasper join me as we see the ball drop again in NYC.

My sister spins me around as she envelops me into a large bear hug.

"Oh Molly"she proclaims,"2014 will be your year and you don't even know the half of it. Here we come Hunter! She's right here!"my sister gloats, raising up my hand.

My face shoots to red as Jasper escorts us from the crowd. He takes out a wadded napkin in a Sharpie as he hands it to me.

"Before you get famous."he deadpans before my sister snatches it away.

She turns to me as we all head toward the metro on the long trek home.

"How do you even know I can do this?"I ask as Morgan's eyes light up.

"Because for once in your life Molly,the stars will be aligned with you."she says, showing me the Big Dipper in the sky,

#576 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

Untitled

He looks at me with a simple flirty look as I tilt my body into his arms. He rubs my back as he burrows his head into the waves of my hair. "You smell like strawberries,"he says, lightly kissing my forehead, "I like that." I smile as I embed his hands into mine"You make me want to become a better person."I say,giving his left fist a kiss. We first bump and joke around as we see the sunset meet the moon above us. "I'm..going to miss you..."I muster. He looks at me as the light from his cigarette flickers to the ground below. He grabs my hand as he presses it towards my chest."You'll always be in my heart. Happy Birthday Lisa. I love you"he says kissing me. "Your lips feel like Heaven"I say as he pulls away"You're my angel than."he says as we both head inside his car. He flips on his I-Phone to the song we first danced to."How about it, for old times sake?"he says as we exit the car. My eyes water as I slow dance close to him spilling tears all over his shirt."I'll be back sooner than you know it!. I'll never leave you!"he tells me as we head inside his car. He hands me a tissue as he rubs my a small portion of my back. I grab a green box from underneath the floorboard. Inside is a t-shirt that I had saved up for weeks to buy on E-Bay."Wear it and think of me ok?"he says as I quietly nod my head. He stops the car as we sit on my porch. "I love you"I confess"like the moon meets the stars!" He looks at me and laughs. "My love for you is as big as the universe."he says as we embrace for a final time."Am I what you wanted for your birthday?"he asks, wiping away some tears. He looks at me in away that I can't help but fall in love with him all over again. "Yeah"I say"And so much more."He then cups my chin and raises it towards his for a final kiss."Remember this night"he tells me."Comethe holidays, there will be plenty more." I nod my head as he slips inside his as he rolls down the window."I hope u had a great birthday Lisa."he tells me."The best!"I say, shaking the box. I drop the box to the ground as I kiss him one last time. "I love you! Be good!"he says, first bumping me again. I nod my head as his car speeds out of the parking lot as it blends with the evening's darkness. When I turn around, the lights are on as a small pink cupcake on a small pink plate greets me on my house's foyer.Beside it a post it note"One last surprise before hitting the road. Enjoy it birthday girl! <3" I set the box beside me as I eagerly eat the cupcake. "Always with me indeed!."I smile

#577 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

Untitled 2

I can feel my heart sink deep inside my chest. It's not a good feeling at all especially when I see him walking towards me. He saunters out of his car as his eyes light up. "Erinnnnn!"he says,leaping out of his car.. Exactly three days ago, we were under an apple tree making out like crazy. Since his promotion to becoming my boss, not so much. "Hi!"I say as he throws me into his arms for a bear hug. A girl beside him shuts the car door. "I'm Jade!"she says eagerly,"Dylan's new girlfriend? He's told me so much about you!"I crack a smile quietly seething at my replacement. She looks like a young Elvira. Jade gives me another hug as she whips out a small pink compact mirror to apply some lipstick. "You look fine! Right Erin?"Dylan remarks as I nod my head in unison. Jade purses her lips as Dylan sneaks in a small kiss. "Have fun you guys!"she coos before heading into the building next to us. He can see tears falling from my eyes. "I'm sorry Erin. It was just never meant to be ok?"he says softly. "You're my best friend in there! Why ruin a good thing?"Dylan says, I can feel some of his scruff brush against my cheek. "Yeah,"I say choking out words."BFFs forever."Dylan smiles at me as he whips out a cigarette from one of his pockets."Let's hope Jackson(Our manager)is in a good mood today ok??"he cracks, opening his left hand for a high five. I nod my head as he spies my lunch bag."Tuna fish again? You know we DO have an employee cafeteria right?"he smiles as he playfully pokes my arm. "Yup, third floor."I say as we enter into our building....

#578 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

The snake reared its scarfed face at me as he pursed his lips kinda seductively.

He dropped a cigarette towards the ground. “Well hello dear,”he purred,locking eyes with me.”Haven’t seen you around much.”

My jaw slammed towards the floor as my face gave a deer in headlights stare.

All the heartbreak he once caused suddenly seemed to fade away as I cracked a smile. “Wow!”I exclaimed,”You look amazing!”

I could feel my heart start to race as his lips came across my cheek for a small peck."I missed you Emily."he said.

He wrapped his arms around me as I fell back into the embrace I once craved, "You deliver pizza now huh?"I said, smiling.

He nodded as he proudly showed off his new uniform."I'm one of the best!"he boasted fist pumping in the air.

I laughed but that soon faded once I spotted my boss walking towards us. "Emily!"he said, beckoning me towards him.

I lowered my head. "Arthur!"my boss said to Arthur in an authorative tone,"You know Emily's break ended 10 mins ago right?"

My face shot to red as I mouthed to Arthur to play along but instead he angrily packed up his things.

"Just came to get some buffalo wings, Not to be followed around by a stupid girl who acts like a puppy."he retorted,lighting up another cigarette,

My jaw slammed to the floor as Arthur started to flirt with some teenagers near his table as my boss marched back with me.

"Emily!"he shrugged as I scrambled to apologize. We headed into his office as I saw my file stacked up a mile long.

"This is it Emily!"he said,"No more chances! This is the final straw!."as he stamped "FIRED" onto my file.

"Best of luck in your career. Thank you for your time."he said, as he handed me my file & shook my hand as he slammed the door behind him.

I slid down a wall nearby completely speechless."So this is it."I said, grabbing all my stuff as I exited the building.

#579 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

One Year Ago

I'm finally meeting my dad at a seedy 24 hour diner that used to be a seafood restaurant. I haven't seen him in almost seven years so my nerves are through the roof. I wait in line as I spot a beat up forest green Dodge Aspen park in a handicap spot. A man with a beat up Redskins jersey opens his arms. "Get over here and hug me RJ!"my dad proclaims. I race out of the line to give my dad a huge hug. He smiles at me but lets go to inhale some air from his asthma inhaler. "You okay?"I ask.My dad cracks a smile"Yeah, it's just the cancer that winded me." Cancer. The word I never wanted to hear again. "It came back?"I ask,"You were in remission!" My dad pulls me against him"I'll be okay RJ. The doctors said it's treatable. Let's go have some fun! It's your birthday after all"my dad says, trying to lighten the mood.

I feign a smile. "Happy birthday to me then!"I say as the hostess seats us by a window. "So it's your birthday huh?"she beams,beckoning some pimply faced teenagers,dressed in tuxedos."Let's have our band sing a special birthday song!"The teenagers belt out a poorly sung "Happy Birthday" which leads one of them to present a small pink cupcake on the table."Make a wish!"my dad exclaims to the sudden eager crowd among us. I close my eyes as I exhale a huge breath and see the flame from the candle cleared. "Happy Birthday RJ!"the crowd cheers around me."Thanks!"I say as a camera flash briefly blinds me. My dad is shooting photos on his camera."your 30 RJ! Hip hip hooray!"he beams as the crowd echoes "Hip hip hooray! It's RJ's day!"I smile as everyone soon departs but the waitress to get our order. My dad scoots beside me as he tells me to order anything from the menu. He puts his arm around me as I see some skin discoloration."From the chemo right?"I ask my dad. He nods"It's treatable RJ!"

Tears start to spill from my eyes as I see him eat the rest of my cupcake. "When did it come back?"I ask. My dad almost spits out his cake."What?"he asks."The cancer,"I ask. My dad suddenly gets serious."The doctors found it in a routine CAT scan. They found a tumor but it's benign."My dad exhales a large sigh."RJ, I told your mother I would do this because this might be our last lunch together. None of the treatments are working so I have decided to pass away on my own terms"So you came just to say goodbye?"I ask, My dad wipes away some tears"Oh RJ! My human body may be gone but no matter what. I will always be your dad."I wipe away some tears on his shirt. "I can't live without you"I say. My dad pulls me closer"Then say goodbye RJ" I pull him closer as I kiss his cheek and smile."See ya around Pa"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users