• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hello everyone. As writers we all have to deal with this. Picking a title that will be the name of our story. The question is how to make it perfect? Well, maybe not perfect, but as close as it can get at least.

Some Reference Questions:

Do you pick the title before or after you start writing?

Do you like it short and simple or unique and meaningful?

What do you look for in other titles?

Do you like it to rhyme?

Do you like it to be catchy?

Do you like it to be poetic?

Do you like it to be funny?

Do you like it to be dramatic?

Do you like it to have a double meaning?

Do you like it to symbolize something?

Do you like it to be the name of the main character? (ie) Harry Potter.

Do you like it to just be one word? Two words?

Do you like it to....?

What are some examples of titles you've already thought of?

Need help with coming up with a title? Maybe we can help!

What do you not like to see in a title?

And so on...

Have at it!

Edited by 24moon100, 21 November 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#2 cmachado

cmachado

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I think it's better to pick a title after we write the story, because it never goes as we think it will and then the story doesn't have nothing to do with the title x)
I like it meaningful, catchy, maybe double meaning[it's always nice], maybe dramatic, maybe funny [depends on the type of story]. I don't really like when it rhymes [personally, I think it may become annoying. I mean, when it's obvious that the title was made to rhyme, it is annoying. but when it is meaningful and that stuff, it can be really interesting]. I think that titles with the name of the main character isn't creative, I don't like it.
If it is just one or two words or a whole phrase, it depends. Them all can be good. Like "Red Bananas" or "I was happy until the day I fell in love with you" xD
Remember, never let the title define your story. Let you story define the title ;D

/Claudia Machado :D

#3 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Remember, never let the title define your story. Let you story define the title ;D

Great words of wisdom there. :)

#4 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I like to have a title while I'm writing. I don't always have to have one before hand, but I like to. (You can always change the title, you know, if it doesn't fit the story in the end).

As for what type of title I choose, it COMPLETELY depends on what kind of story.

#5 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

it depends for me. like, sometimes i need to write the whole thing before i think of a name. sometimes its obvious what i'll call it.

-Nikki

#6 Logan1949

Logan1949

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Blake Snyder (RIP) wrote a great book or two about (screen) writing. (Look up "Save the Cat.") He suggests that the title have some irony and a strong hint of what the story is about. One of his favorite titles is "Legally Blonde" about the blonde who had to make it through Harvard Law School. He suggests that the title "For Love or Money" is bad because it tells you nothing about the story, and it has been re-used too many times. "Jaws" is a good title for the story of a giant shark terrorizing a beach community.

But you definitely want a title that pops up your very own book on Amazon.com when someone types it in. If you use a commonly used title, then your book will be at the bottom of the popularity list, and people will have to scroll through too many pages to find it.

#7 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'm so used to posting online that I always have a title before I write. Most of the time, I pick I title that sounds cool, kind of describes what I'm writing, and just go with it. It's not like I can't change it later.

The easiest title I have ever come up with was "Alyce in Dystopia," because I had the title before I even wrote a word. That was the whole idea of the story: a girl wakes up in a strange new place she's never seen before. Only instead of Wonderland, it's a post-apocalyptic California. And she doesn't fall down a rabbit hole--she wakes up from a coma. It was all kind of fun, making it work like that.

Now the story doesn't really focus on similarities between the two, and the words "Alyce in dystopia" are never spoken in the novel, but any person worth their salt can figure it out. It's not hard.

Other stories, like "Fear of Falling," even though I'm not really ever going to write that again, had just a simple idea that had virtually nothing to do with the plot. Except a little scene I wrote beforehand, with the main character (Dixie) afraid to jump off the cliff into the lake. Until her friend pushes her off. That was just to tie in the fear of falling in a little way, but I eventually did have a plan for later on involving the bad guy.

They're pretty random a lot of the time.

Many of my titles come from the song they're inspired by. Some people might remember "Tales of Another Broken Home"? That's one of the sections of Green Day's song "Jesus of Suburbia." The whole story of "Broken Home" was American Idiot with a twist. I was really obsessed with American Idiot at the moment, and I felt inspired. So I wanted to write something about a kid who runs away. Except he runs away with a girl and a guy who are heading to Seattle, so he just goes along for the ride.

It would've been a fun story, if I wasn't so involved in other projects. The beginning was too slow for me, and I couldn't get the start I needed, but I would still consider writing that again today. It was fun.

As far as the length of the title goes--whatever works. I think long titles are more fun, but short and sweet is always a great way to go. As long as the title isn't completely random (like, uh, Twilight, where she tries to make it work throughout the book, but it just doesn't; the name, while it sounds great, is not right for the book). I like one word titles; they're very dramatic. But I also like a good humorous title (I still have plans to write "Pain, Agony, Writer's Block"--just not yet), and it's even better if they're long. I dunno. I love long titles, even though I haven't been gutsy enough to do a very long one. "Tales of Another Broken Home" is long, but it's not the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I hate cheesy titles. I don't know if it exists (probably does, not to offend anyone here), but "I Will Always Love You" or "My Soul Mate"--please, this is just...no. If you're writing a romance, I want either some kind of witty title or something as far away from "My Soul Mate"/"I Will Always Love You" as possible. "Twilight" at least has a nice ring to it, even if it's completely nonsensical. I refuse to read something like either of the two mentioned above. Sorry, authors who are into cheesy titles. Not my thang.

xoxoArtemis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users