31 replies to this topic

#1 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hello, everyone. :D

I see that the "About Writing" section of MCMB is pretty much dead, so I thought I might try to get something going on here again. The "About Writing" board was the reason I joined in the first place, so I'd like to keep people posting more. :D

The idea of this thread was one I got while staying up all night. On the Alyce in Dystopia (my story on the boards) thread, I was holding a Q&A, where readers asked questions about the story, my thoughts on it, or just random things involving writing. I think Meg and I had a lot of fun with it, so I thought, Why not just make a thread with the exact same structure and idea?

I'll start out by asking a question, and someone can answer. Your answer can be as long or short as you like (long answers are more fun ;)). Once you finish answering, put a question for the next person at the bottom of your post. :D Don't just answer the question but forget to ask another. Make sure your questions are decent, obviously.

All right, then. I will start us off with the first question:

What are your favorite things to write about? Favorite genre? (Interpret however you like. Yes, it's a generic question, but I didn't want to make it too complicated, haha. :P)

xoxoArtemis

#2 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

YAY cool topic, Artemis. :)

Well, I guess I would say my favorite genre to write is romance. But not the hardcore kind... I like fluff, but if it is the basis of the story that it can get extremely boring. The long winded version of what I like to write it probably like "a humorous story with some sort of romance between characters with a bunch of conflict." I guess that's a genre :D Haha, but I think I'm about to try something in the science fiction field. It probably will still have romance in it, but I really want to try this idea I have out :) 

Question: What inspires your writing? (music, people, etc...)

#3 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hehe. I like this topic. ;)

What inspires my writing? Hmm. I guess a multitude of things. Mostly though it is whatever I'm obsessed with at the moment. Like a book or TV show. Also my moods and emotions have a lot to do with it. (:

Question: What is your view on clichés?

#4 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

My views on clichés? Well, I am very aware of clichés, and when I see one, I kind of freak out.

The worst versions of clichés would be something like: "And the Titanic sunk, thousands died, but my entire family and my great aunt Suzie all made it on lifeboats, and there are twenty of us, and we're the lowest class, and no one was hurt at all, THE END!!!"

That kind of thing--the improbable happy ending--is what drives me up the wall most. Forget the whole idea of a high school romance cliché and annoying as I think those are. THIS blows high school romance clichés out of the water.

Question: When do you feel the need to write? Time of day? Time of year? (Autumn at around 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM for me! :D)

xoxoArtemis

#5 Gee{or}jah

Gee{or}jah

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

I feel the need to write when I feel really emotional. Like when I am stressed, angry or upset. I can write when I am not feeling this way, but I find it way easier to pound something out through writing about someone else's life. In Riding in Cars with Boys, that first chapter came to me when I thought my boyfriend was in love with another girl. The story became my way of dealing with it.

As for time, I find it really easy to write at like 1-3 AM. Just works for me.

Questions: Is there a particular age group that draws you to write about them?

#6 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

Currently I like writing from the perspective of someone around my age. So, a teenager, I guess. :) It's just what I know. Then again, when I was 12 I was writing about teenagers too so... Maybe I'll always want to, or maybe as I grow up I'll want to write about older characters too.

But I like writing about them because it's "the best time of your life." Seriously, I have more people than most probably do that tell me that in my life. And why not write about the best times...? Also, I don't know, I find that teenagers are more complicated and are still trying to figure themselves and everything else in the world out. Anyone younger isn't very interesting to write about and I've never had a story that would fit an older character.

Question: Do you tend to make the setting of your story a place you know well or don't?

#7 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Somehow my mind conjures up a place I've seen before even when I'm not trying to write about it. Like, if I set it at a camp, I'll envision a camp that I've been to. It helps for me to know the place but no. I don't really care where the setting is. It just has to fit the story and I'll imagine it. :) Most of the time I just need only a little background knowledge.

Question: Most words you've written? :)

Edited by 24moon100, 02 August 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#8 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

76.9k. Chasing Delilah!! :)

Question: Who do you let read your work?

#9 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

MCMB...my friends...my mom SOMETIMES. That's about it. :)

Question: Best CC you've ever received?

#10 Delly99

Delly99

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I haven't really posted much online, but sometimes I let my friends read what I write and when it's work, obviously my teachers
and some of the best I have recieved is that 'I can put on a good 'voice' - but to use that for in depth description.

Why do you write? :)

Edited by Delly99, 04 August 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#11 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

It's fun and I love the feel of it. Dunno how describe what it feels like to be in the zone of writing.

Your worst habit? :P

#12 Delly99

Delly99

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

In writing..
I put commas everywhere,
I just put a comma there now, I'm literally a comma addict..

Sometimes my sister reads through my essay stuff for school, and takes out like fifty. I really need to move on with punctuation.

:( Delly :)

#13 Delly99

Delly99

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Other than Meg Cabot, who is your favourite author?
(Heh heh, forgot to post my question, and I've only just realised.. Sorry)

Dellyx :)

#14 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

You know, I can't really say. For the most part, I don't pick one author and read everything by them. So I guess I don't know. xD LOL.

Question: What is a topic you dislike reading/writing about?

xoxoArtemis

#15 Slaterlover

Slaterlover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I dislike reading about angsty main characters. I do not know why, though.

Do you find it hard to write something if you have no experience about it? EX: Writing about a person in university when your still in middle/high school.

#16 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sure. Usually when I'm in that situation (and I am a lot), I just ask people I know or do some kind of research on the topic online. It's easiest that way. Like, I've never experienced half of the things I write about, but the main focus of the story and typically the emotions are things I understand very well/feel very strongly about. You know?

Q: How much do you write before posting on MCMB/other writing sites? (It usually takes a prologue and a really intriguing idea for me. :D)

xoxoArtemis

#17 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Usually like a chapter...haha. I always say I'll write more then that, but I never do :P

Do you read stories similar to stories you write?

#18 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

I write a lot of weird crap, so not really. I never find anything even remotely similar to what I write. Like, I read a lot of dystopian/apocalyptic stuff, but not much of it is like my own story. I read some mystery/crime stuff, but not much of it is like my own story. I guess my stories are a little different than some of the stuff out there, but I do like stuff in the same general genre as what I write. I wouldn't always call it similar (because it's hard to be similar to a weird story like Alyce), but it's about as close as it gets, lol.

Wow, that was a crappy answer. I could not phrase that well for the life of me. It would be nice if I could not make things complicated...

Q: Do you like creating your own setting (like making up a fictional town) or using a real life place (like New York City, for example)?

xoxoArtemis

#19 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

In the past I've always chosen a real location, but recently I've been discovering the benefits to making up your own town, city, or school ;) I think the type of story depends on if you need to choose an actual location or if you have room to make locations up :)

How do you choose character names?

#20 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

I have a huge list of names I like, and I periodically add to it. All the names in my most recent story have been used in rough drafts of other things for, like, the past year. I just finally found a place to use them. A lot of them come from pop culture (two of my names in AiD are references to the same band, lol). Some of them are just names I like. As far as last names go, I usually just pick a name that sort of works with the first name and go with it. :P

Q: What author/book has had the biggest influence on you and your writing (I have a feeling I know what most people on the Meg Cabot Message Board will say :D)?

xoxoArtemis

#21 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well I guess I could say some impressive author or classic book (or meg Cabot haha), but if we are really saying the biggest influence... Junie B Jones. No I'm not freaking kidding. They were the first books I read and felt like a big kid reading. They were the first books I made my mom buy and check out from the library. They are the books that got me into reading and, therefore, writing. Haha.

But also, Jordan Sonnenblick inspired me to write humorously :)

What is the most you've ever written in a single sitting? (approximately)

#22 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

(I just want to say that that was the best. Response. Ever.)

Answer: I have no idea when it comes to that. I guess it was probably either the time I stayed up all night writing last summer, writing a story in a notebook that I never finished (it still makes me angry that I wasted a whole night working on that), or the time you, Meg, and I stayed up all night writing in late November 2012. That was about 5,000 words, but I was posting on here, too, so it was a lot more if you throw all that in there... If I was a more focused person when it comes to writing, I'd be able to do a lot more...

Q: What song/album/artist/general music-y thing helps you write the most?

xoxoArtemis

#23 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

(thanks ;) )

I find if I put any artist/song on repeat I can focus much better. It's hard to say one in particular, but recently I was replaying my Matchbox Twenty CD over and over again when writing. If I need something quiet in the background, I'll put on Jack Johnson or John Mayer just to have some quiet noise. I find all sorts of music though that I am somehow able to apply to my characters or plots.

What is the first story you can remember writing about?

Edited by Jcrazy, 01 July 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#24 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I liked making little picture books when I was really little, but didn't try writing a book with more writing than pictures until third grade. It was a fantasy story with all my classmates as the characters. Something about finding a captured long lost brother. :P It was a cute little kid thing. I've still got it in my room somewhere. I started writing a sequel later (which was typed up and much more detailed). For a long time I just wrote fantasy (also Percy Jackson fanfiction), until sixth grade when I branched out and wrote some realistic fiction. Then I got into dystopian stuff and politics and being angry and I guess organized crime, too, because that's what I'm writing about now, lol. I still have a bunch of stories from my super early writing days that I want to write now (with improved plots and characters, of course). I didn't understand the importance of "sticking with a story" and ended up having way too many projects going. I try and limit myself now... :P

OKAY. That got long. Maybe I should just answer the question instead of going on about all the different stuff I've written.

Q: Where is your favorite place to write?

#25 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

A: My bedroom. I've written at the beach before, but that was a little too sandy for me. :P My bedroom is where I get the most stuff done.

Q: When was the last time you wrote?

#26 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Like, two hours ago. I'm still trying to get past Ch. 6 and I can't. Writer's block seems to be hitting me hard, lately. :P

Q: What's the easiest kind of character for you to write? What's the most difficult?

#27 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

A. Female teen leads, particularly in the paranormal/supernatural genres. Usually with anger or bullying issues that need resolving.

Hardest to write: a bully or aggressive parent figure. Difficult for me to write because of personal issues however the most rewarding when done right.

Q. How do you beat self confidence issues with your writing.

#28 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

A: It's all about the progress. For a really long time I thought I sucked and probably should just stop writing, and then I started realizing that I'm supposed to suck. That's how you learn. You learn by writing terrible things and then looking back and saying, "Wow, that was terrible. I'm never writing that again." It's basically all one giant learning process. Once you accept that, it all gets much easier. That's how I look at it now, and I feel a heck of a lot better about my writing. The next thing you write will almost always be better than the last thing you wrote, in one way or another.

So sometimes I have downright awful chapters, and I feel really embarrassed about them. One thing doesn't work right, and that just throws off the whole balance of the chapter. If it's the rough draft, then I just make myself leave it and move on. I can go back and fix it later--the future things I'm going to write are much more important than what I'm writing now. It will only get better. You can take what you learned from those really awful, embarrassing chapters that make you cringe and make sure you never ever do that again.

I know my writing has drastically improved over the past six months or so. Sometimes I read it, and I think, "Yeah, you know what? This isn't even half bad." And I don't mind saying that, because there is no denying it's better than what I was writing a year ago. It's all about the progress. If you can see legitimate progress in your writing, then you shouldn't feel all too bad about it.

There's one other big component to writers' self esteem that I should bring up. Comparison. I'm never going to write suspense like Stephen King. I'm never going to write with the perfect balance of humor, profoundness, and tragedy like John Green. But I am going to write in my own weird way that has its own unique style that adds something new to the writing world that they couldn't have without me, and that's pretty cool. Don't write in the style of someone else. Don't compare your writing to someone else's. You are not them. So don't try and be them. Comparison will make you feel like absolute crap.

There is really only one time comparison is okay. And that's asking yourself if you're better than Stephenie Meyer. The answer is always yes.

Well, there you go. Five paragraphs of stuff you've heard a million times before. Those are just my thoughts.

Q: What's been your most recent source of inspiration?

#29 allhailtheale

allhailtheale

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

My most recent source of inspiration has to be books and anime like Attack on Titan or Black Butler or Game of Thrones where th characters are very deep and where no one is safe and I am crying but waiting for the next installment at the same time.

Now my question: what do you think of killing off/screwing over your readers' favorite character?

#30 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

My most recent source of inspiration has to be books and anime like Attack on Titan or Black Butler or Game of Thrones where th characters are very deep and where no one is safe and I am crying but waiting for the next installment at the same time.

Now my question: what do you think of killing off/screwing over your readers' favorite character?

I think that's great, as long as there's a purpose to it. If you're just doing it for the sake of killing a character and it has no value to the plot, then why even bother? So, yeah, if it's done for the right reason and has a value contribution to the plot, then it's fine with me.

Q: Thoughts on NaNoWriMo? Are you doing it? Have you done it before? Etc.

#31 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

A: I think nanowrimo is a really cool concept and people that do it and do it well amaze me. I'm not doing it—never have even tried. I'm not sure IF I could do it if I'm being completely honest. One day I'm going to try though because it's always intrigued me. I'm pretty sure if I did it, I'd have to spend all of October PLANNING. And also have the worlds worst social life while doing so.

Q: How do you go about writing things you've never experienced? Because "write what you know"? Yeah, I know nothing, so that doesn't apply.

#32 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

A: I've gotten really good at bullshitting my way through writing. Like, I do MINIMAL research on topics (I know pretty much nothing about organized crime and I'm writing about it haha), but I don't even think I have to. If I was taking it SUPER SERIOUSLY, then I would. But I'm not. The thing is, if you act like you know what you're talking about, it can sometimes come off as believable. Of course there are instances where that doesn't work, but for the most part, that's how I do it. Haha.

But that's not even really answering the question. There's a whole separate thing to this. Like, I've never experienced what it's like to get high or drunk or have sex or whatever, and yet those are all defining traits of my three of my characters. I don't know what that's like, so I often take from books I've read or TV I've watched and go from there. Or there's my other strategy: I often keep the things I haven't really experienced (like the three mentioned above) strictly to mentions via dialogue/Holly's narrations, because it's realistic that they're going on and I can't ignore that, but it would destroy the realism by going into great detail when it would all be BS.

But if there's a scene where I do need to have any of that going on, then it's Strategy One. Observation will get you far.

Q: Do you write in order or out of order, typically? Do you write lots of randoms scenes or are you strictly focused on what's going on "now" in the novel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users