Photo

*~*~* <== This Thing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: *~*~* <== This Thing (4 member(s) have cast votes)

How much do you use this thing?

1. Not at all (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Rarely (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Occasionally (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Once per chapter (0 votes [0.00%])

5. A few times per chaper (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Okay, excuse me for my ignorance since I don't exactly know what the actual thing is called, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about. In context it looks a little like this (except not as funky):

Asadhkjfhaskldjhflkasdhflkjhsdalfhsdkahfkljdsahkfjhsda;knb.mfdb,mxc.nx/fseo;aifhOGHRsdbvjbf
klfdhvkdfhkvkjhaldfkvldshvdskhvksdhlvhkljdhaskljfhdsjklfahfklaf.usabfkljbsdbafldslkajfhdhsalkj.

*~*~*

Kuigerlkhklmdfgskldsklnsjknfviuhfhilueruhrregjknfjk.vmnwhhuicdhiuch;kl;ncdkncn.nbocwoi;hcd
ccZXjkhcxkjhdshioufviu0pafiopuwfipouiuhlwfghlbhjldshjlbadsvbhjksadvlhbbhjksvbhkvkdjkbsvj
kbdsvjkbsvadjkbkvjbjkbjbmmbcvxmnb,cxzbh,dvbhjdfasjklasdjklhjkbsdajkhasdhjsadfhafhfhjkdjv

Get the picture?

Anyway, however you do your's, it's the same sort of idea. It's like a little wall the separates one part of the story from the other part. (Gosh I'm horrible at explaining things)

Well I've been wondering if it's acceptable to use it a lot. I feel like I use it like three times per chapter. And I don't see professional authors doing it that much so...I want to know what yall think. :)

Edited by 24moon100, 03 July 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#2 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

I usually just use one asterisk--sometimes three. That's the way I see it most in books.

I think it's fine to use it once or twice in a chapter, but more may be a little excessive. A chapter is supposed to be a passage of certain events that fit together, though, so maybe, in order to tie things together and make a chapter work, you need to use more. I like to use them as little as possible because I hate skipping periods of time (I'm really into character development and think that every moment spent together is precious and needs to be written down because I might need to reference it/use it to develop the character later on).

I think it just depends on your writing style, tbh. xD

xoxoArtemis

#3 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I normally use the ~ and what ever the main character's intials are.
Example

Hi my name is Abbie and I hate summer.

~A~

Welcome to the strange world I live in

It's just something I like to do
Alex~ :lol:

#4 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:52 PM