#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hello MCMBers. :)

Let me ask you a question:

What attracts you to the books you read? Or, in some cases, the stories you read?

Is it....

-Recommendation.

-The movie.

-The title.

-The summery.

-The first page.

-The genre.

-The author.

-The cover.

-Ect.

What are the things that grab your attention?

#2 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

You know what DOESN'T grab my attention?? When there's a book with a cover with a guy an girl just all over each other, lol. I love teenage romances and all, but I don't want to walk around with a book like that even if it sounds good, haha... I get weird looks...

Anyway, though: :)

The author usually (if it's like Meg Cabot or Sarah Dessen usually in that case, lol).

The summary (it's gotta be good y'all :) )

And probably the title! I don't know, id rather read something called The Pretty Red Brick over The Brick (probably wouldn't read either of those though...lol).

#3 Slaterlover

Slaterlover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Pretty much everything grabs my attention; however, if I were to randomly pick something I'd have to say my top three would be the author, the title, and sometimes the cover.
-Sushi -_-

#4 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

The Author- If it's Meg Cabot, it's mine. But if not. Then, I would say it would have to be something very different, like Dana Mielswetski, or something like that sort!

The Cover-I don't really mind it. I just want something that makes me imagine what was happening in the scene.

The Title- When in Rome or The Diary Of A Girl Who Traveled To Rome. Which is better? Yeah, The second would grabbed my attention.

The Blurb-And she finds out about a secret or When a ghostly apperence by a mysterious man comes into Sandy's life, the most deepest secret her family has kept for hundreds of years is soon to be revealed. Again take your pick!

So yeah! That's what gets me! :)

Alex~ :lol:

#5 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Things that bend reality. Like, let's say, The Human Centipede. It sounds so disgusting that you almost have to watch it. Or read it.

If the title is something like "Love from France" or something equally as cheesy, you will not find me ever reading it.

If the cover features a girl underneath a guy, then i will never read it.

If the cover has "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse" or " Breaking Dawn" I will NEVER read it. Unless the "Twilight" is on a Mediator book.

The cover, hm... Usually something with not that many colours. Or barely any browns and greens.

Anything from Australia is a turn-off. Sorry, but all they talk about is racism or the olden days. Bor-ring.

If the blurb is like "A heart-warming tale of friendship and courage"UGHHHHH.

I think that's about it.

xoxo

#6 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Oh, also if it has ANYTHING Greek Mythological in either the title, cover or blurb I will most definetaly be reading it.

xoxo

#7 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

If it's one of my favorite author's book, it has a better chance of getting glanced over and then grabbed, whereas, if it's by an author I haven't read before, it's going to get a longer look.

Of course, I don't always read books by my favorite authors. For example, I haven't read Shine by Lauren Myracle, or Pants On Fire, by Meg Cabot. The plot to Shine just doesn't really interest me, whereas Pants On Fire.... well, I tend to not grab books that have people kissing or something on the cover, no matter how good the book looks.

Usually I read the summary, then read the first paragraph or so. Even if the summary doesn't sound that good, good writing can win me over, or vice versa. Sometimes I flip to the middle of the book too.

As for the cover, well, that's what grabs my attention. There are some covers that just do not even interest me enough to read the summary. So yeah, there's that, but other than that, Titles don't make that much of a difference unless it's two people kissing or a girl in a sexy pose of some kind, in which case I consider not getting the book.

#8 Bushra_Siddiqui

Bushra_Siddiqui

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:24 AM

well, the things about a book that grab my attention:

The summary

the author

the genre

#9 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78