• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

It might be the protagonist. It might be the antagonist. Either way, they make you want to rip your hair out at times. What are some examples of character traits that you just can't stand in a character?

#2 bookperson

bookperson

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

Really mean ones. The ones that care about fashion and how people look. The ones who don't treat everybody right.

#3 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ones that 'appear' to be perfect. They're so slick and suave and even worse is that they aren't even a bad guy! Those characters just make me want to punch the character and everyone who's friends with them :P

#4 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

The whiny one that thinks their life is so awful and misunderstood, when in reality, if they just didn't mope around it WOULD be perfectly fine! >_< helloooo bella swan. ( but I love Twilight regardless :P)

#5 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Those girls who always suck up to the hot popular boys like leeches... *Cough- Kelly Prescott-Cough* :P

:heartbeat: Suze

#6 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

The whiny one that thinks their life is so awful and misunderstood, when in reality, if they just didn't mope around it WOULD be perfectly fine! >_< helloooo bella swan. ( but I love Twilight regardless :P)

Oh, bella, your life is so HARD!

Gotta love alex day.

xoxo

#7 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Those girls who always suck up to the hot popular boys like leeches... *Cough- Kelly Prescott-Cough* :P

:heartbeat: Suze

AGREED

-Nikki

#8 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Totally with you on that. (Ever in immortals) Still like the book but she makes everything so depressing sometimes. Its like every other page she's mad at someone if it isn't herself at the moment.

Edited by 24moon100, 18 November 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#9 mediator7

mediator7

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

The mean "best friend"

#10 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Oh my gobstopper, Amen ^

(Help! I picked up a phrase from one of my characters!)

#11 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

[Post may kind of contain spoilers for the Divergent books and sort of the Batman movies, so, uh, spoiler alert, I guess. They’re pretty lame spoilers, even if you count them as that. I don’t think it spoils too much, but whatever. Thought I’d put it out there.]

I hate characters that always do that right thing. They're always brave and courageous and do what's good. They never do anything selfish.

I was watching The Dark Knight last night (working my way through the most recent Batman movies), and I was wondering why Bruce Wayne was turning himself in to the Joker halfway through the movie. (I haven't seen the end yet, so don't spoil anything.) I get that the Joker claims he'll stop killing people if the Batman reveals who he is, but, hello, you really trust the Joker?

Then, with this same kind of example, there's Tris from the Divergent books. I liked Tris in Divergent, but she annoyed me to no end in Insurgent. I didn't like Insurgent very much; all the characters where irritating and the plot was slow. And they killed off my favorite character.

One of the reasons I didn't like this book was because of what Tris decided she would so bravely go off and do. People are killing your friends, but they say that if you go give yourself up to them so they can do tests on your brain and pretty much torture and kill you, they'll stop killing your friends.

Well, the one lady wants all the Divergent people dead, so, uh, no, she is not going to stop killing your friends, even if you go. And Tris does go, because she can't bear to see people die, and the Dauntless are brave, and she is brave, blahblahblah. I do understand that she was near suicidal and depressed and all, but that just really got under my skin. I don't think an average person would do throw themselves in the face of danger so stupidly, since the killing are, in fact, not going to end.

The Joker was a way better bad guy than the ones in Divergent, by the way.

Another character that bugs me is the bad guy with no clear motive. Why are they doing all this evil stuff? This makes no sense, is something I think a lot while reading or watching movies.

Since I just watched it, I will once more allude to the Batman movies!

In Batman Begins, Ra's al Ghul had no clear motive to me. He just wanted Gotham City to go crazy? He wanted to free the criminals? But WHY did he want to? As cool as the whole gas stuff was, it seemed a little confused to me. I bet if I watched the movie a little closer/read the comic book I could figure it out, but it seemed pointless.

The Joker, on the other hand, is just a mob guy, basically. And he hates the Batman. And he's crazy. He has a real motive for his killings and chaos, unlike Ra's al Ghul.

I dunno. I didn't care for Batman Begins, and the poor bad guy and confused motive were two contributing factors.

There you go. There's a geeky rant about Batman and dystopian books and bad characters. (Not that Tris or Bruce Wayne are bad characters; they're fine, but I think that they do unrealistic things to get the plot moving. And it's annoying.)

xoxoArtemis

#12 Delly99

Delly99

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

I kind of dislike the girls who cry all the time and depend on what ever poor bloke they're going out with at the moment to bail them out of trouble - i'm just sat there reading going..

"HELLO! You have legs! Get yourself out of this mess! You got yourself in it! Grr."

Also, I hate it when the guys are like 'Mwuhahaha. I am a dude. Therefore I can do dude stuff. Back off ladies."

I know quite a lot of people like that sort of stuff, but I just find that it frustrates me.

Lara (Delly) :)

Edited by Delly99, 04 August 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#13 Ohliveeah

Ohliveeah

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

There's this thing called The White Pine here in Ontario. Basically, a list of books is made, then clubs at school or elsewhere read them as a book club.

There is this one called The Taming (based upon The Taming of The Shrew) and the main character ticked me right off. Her name was Katie. She was pretty introverted and similar to myself in a lot of ways, so I suppose that's why I felt so irritated about her poor decision making. She lets herself get controlled by a boy all because he is rich and wants to date her. She lets him get her intoxicated, take inappropriate photos of her, and essentially mess her life up/blackmail her. It takes her TWO HUNDRED PAGES (the bulk of the book) to realize how wrong it was to let him do that. It made me SO angry. No guy, and no "romance" is worth giving yourself up over. Sure, he noticed her when no one else did. But, whatever! I am the exact same way and I know for a fact I would NEVER let that happen to me. I guess it's a bit of a self pride thing, but STILL. So annoying and frustrating.

Then, this girl at my school has to be dumb and say "it's all for love." Psh, love? Sounded more like an abusive relationship to me. (Then again, her preference in books included Twilight. Also, i had to explain to her why the school's copy of Wuthering Heights was different from the one in the Twilight movie....clearly she isn't the brightest bulb.)

#14 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Really mean ones. The ones that care about fashion and how people look. The ones who don't treat everybody right.

Me too! I hate it when characters discriminate others because of their looks! :mgbumblebee:

#15 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

It really irritates me when you have a character that everyone in the story dislikes with no good qualities. Usually people have some good things about them. It's not all bad.

But it also irritates me when you have a character that everyone in the story dislikes who's just really misunderstood and has tons of good qualities. Chances are, if you've got lots of good qualities, at least SOME people will like you.

There must be balance.

I'm also really beginning to hate the super badass characters who are never afraid of anything and show zero emotion about anything ever (except maybe their love interest) because they're just that badass. They just don't care about anything. That's really annoying.

I still have a special hate for the mean girl's side kick (especially when they come around to be all right in the end after all). There are other ways to write a mean girl than giving her the equally (or even more so) mean best friend. I feel like that one's so irritating and overused.

xoxoArtemis

#16 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

^^ Totally agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users