• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 storyqueen24

storyqueen24

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Why in every book the main female character is either a virgin or the glorification of promiscuity? Either she's unexperienced and the male character is or they are both virgins. I mean there's no gray area or place in the middle, just opposite of two extremes. In reality most teens are actually in the middle somewhere. It just bothers me how teenage girl are portrayed like nuns or dirty ^$#@$^^s.
I'm just wondering so I'd love to hear some others opinions on this...

~Bre~

#2 bubba97

bubba97

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I think because in the middle would be a typical love story like every other in real life.

What the writer wants to do is an impossible romance, two opposites that in normal cases would never be together, and that's the story he wants to tell.

And the girl isn't always a nun, it's just that in most of the books, she's just pretty innocent.

It's like the writer is embracing the human nature.

I mean, it wouldn't be very feminine for the girl to be a ^$#@$^^, so making her insecure, making her need somebody, brings in the guy who's here for her.

I mean that's just my opinion.

-ALEXX :mgbumblebee:

#3 alitude14a

alitude14a

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

In my opinion, yes, most of the charachters are undeniably virgins, but that seems because just about all of the main charachters are unpopular and at the begining of the book, have no boyfriend. However, by the end of the book they have managed to befriend or defeat the snobiest girl in the school, and get they guy they like. Though i don't really care, its so unrealistic.

#4 storyqueen24

storyqueen24

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

I think because in the middle would be a typical love story like every other in real life.

What the writer wants to do is an impossible romance, two opposites that in normal cases would never be together, and that's the story he wants to tell.

And the girl isn't always a nun, it's just that in most of the books, she's just pretty innocent.

It's like the writer is embracing the human nature.

I mean, it wouldn't be very feminine for the girl to be a ^$#@$^^, so making her insecure, making her need somebody, brings in the guy who's here for her.

I mean that's just my opinion.

-ALEXX :mgbumblebee:

But the thing is in human nature sex is a natural thing. And yea I don't like when they give her experience and make he a *^&$^&. I just don't like the idea of having the heroine NEED someone. She should be independent and confident. Its giving girls bad ideas. Thats my opinion though.

#5 storyqueen24

storyqueen24

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

In my opinion, yes, most of the charachters are undeniably virgins, but that seems because just about all of the main charachters are unpopular and at the begining of the book, have no boyfriend. However, by the end of the book they have managed to befriend or defeat the snobiest girl in the school, and get they guy they like. Though i don't really care, its so unrealistic.

I agree. Rather than having realism the writer would rather use cliques. I mean they're some fun books to read but being more realist would appeal to a reader more.

#6 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

Genrally they are not writting about the masses its about a selected few cases like for example ..not every high school has a queen bi.tch but all teen books seem to have one. My school is definately queen free I've changed 4 schools and none of them had a girl like that . Plus it genrally creates a lot more tension and drama in the story if the characters are virgings genrally meaning more eyeballs
Thats what I think ...I may be wrong :mellow:

#7 fat_louie_is_my_hero

fat_louie_is_my_hero

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

I would have to say the virgin thing is because most girls who are taking their time reading on a friday night have probably never had done that. I know only one person in my grade that has. There are a few others who I have never talked to that might have. But most people freshman-junior and quite a few seniors have never. So, that's my opinion.

The thing with the queen bee is somewhat true (for us at my school). There's not going to one at every school. Chances were that the author happened to go to a school with one. Or they just used their childhood enemy. I actually seem to have one. She's not exactly a queen bee; she's more like a b*%&# who thinks it's her life's meaning to be mean.

But there are those stories that have a girl that's only been with one guy or a mean girl that's only mean to the main character.

I do agree that those things you said do happen a lot.

...What I don't like is the thing with the whole: "The most popular guy loves me! Yeah! Happily ever after!"

So far, I have never EVER seen that. Have you? (Really? A girl that was scum on his shoe is now the one thing he looks foreword to? Pu-leez...)

Em :cat:

#8 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

^ I would've agreed but I've seen the best friend cliche taking place in front of my eyes. genrally in stories its so complictaed and dramatic ...but in real life it took them 2 WEEKS! It was the most fluffy thing I've ever experienced.

AND one more thing they are called fiction for a reason
Although the thing I don't understand is HOW can one fall in love over a bet now that is something I've never seen.It genrally ends with the poor person broken

#9 Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

In the book 'Rosebush' by Michelle Jaffe, she managed to make the main character kinda gray. So she had had sex, but she wasn't a s'lut.

-Amelia

#10 takari28

takari28

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

It just depends. I've read books where characters were experienced but not a sexual deviant. But those books weren't focusing on the love factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users