• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

Sorry if there's a topic already like this. I scoured the About Writing forum really quickly.

If you published a book, do you think you'd use a pen name, and why?

If it was me; I think I'd use a pen name because I'd be embarrassed if my family read my book - sexual and mature themes. xD.

Mimsie.

#2 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well, wouldn't your family be likely to know you'd published a book anyway?

And I don't think I would use a pen name simply because it'd make it confusing with taxes and getting paid and all this different stuff. And plus, I want everyone I've ever known to KNOW that I published a book. xD

Pet/ra

#3 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

My mum and dad probably, but like my uncles and my aunties don't need to know. ^_^
And aha, fair enoughs.

Mimsie.

#4 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

Haha, during NaNo last year, I was writing my story For Tonight, which you may remember. (By the way. I just completely accidentally typed story as 'storie'. I don't know what is wrong with me today.) My mom read it, and my dad didn't care (he's not much of a reader, especially of teen fiction, ahah), but then word got out to my grandma and grandpa that I was writing a novel. And they were angry that I hadn't sent it to them to read yet. So of course I had to send it to them. And I mean, there was nothing really bad in it, a couple curse words and a character got high off of pot in one scene. But I was soooooo uncomfortable to send it to them and see what they'd think.

My point is, though, that your relatives might surprise you. You might not want them to read your work, but then you'd be surprised at what they say about it. Case in point, the email my grandma sent back to me:

"Thank you for sending us the first half of your novel to read. You are an aspiring author. You have a gift of writing the way you give such depth to your characters, the message you are trying to convey, and the flow is really good. I look forward to reading the rest later on. You have never given up on your dream to be an author and I hope you will continue to write. You never know where it might lead you. Have you ever attempted to get something published, even in a magazine?"

Pet/ra

#5 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

^

I know. But the thought of my mum reading some of the.. ahem.. steamier scenes makes me want to lie in a hole. I think even as an adult I wouldn't like to publish by my real name, of course then I wouldn't have the satisfaction of pointing to my book on a shelf in Waterstone's and going 'I wrote that'.

Mimsie.

#6 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, I agree with you there on both counts.

But then, I don't think I'd like my parents reading any of the steamier scenes NOW, but if I was an adult, I don't think I'd mind as much. If that makes sense. It's just like, I don't like them reading any of my more dramatic writings, just because I don't want them thinking that it reflects on ME. Because it doesn't. It's just a story. But a lot of people don't get that.

Pet/ra

#7 jess_rob4ever

jess_rob4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

I don't think I would use a pen name. Because I wrote it, you know, and not Smithy McSmithy.
Anyway, some authors with pen names have revealed their real life names, though; like Cassandra Clare
is Lisa Mcann, or at least something like that. And about the steamier situations, I kind of like making
my parents uncomfortable about that kind of stuff--I always make subtle to blaring drug references just
to watch them squirm. I know, I'm evil.

It would be embarrassing, though, if a FRIEND read something sexual in your novel. Like, my friends
really like to read my stories (I've even written them into fanfics where they're paired up with something)
but right now, I'm not too sure I'll let them read this certain one that has a sex scene. It's very short, not
graphic but it's THERE. Some people just don't understand that sometimes you feel that it needs to happen
with your characters, because they're real people to you.

"Yes, yes, fine. I know. I wrote a SEX SCENE! So sue me!" Embarrassing.

I guess it depends whether you can handle it.

#8 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hahaha, that's funny you should say that, because I feel the opposite way. I don't care if my friends read my more graphic scenes (not that any of them are more than PG-13. They're not. I usually keep it pretty PG to PG-13), because they're just like, Okay, whatever. But I'd freak out if my parents read that, especially now, when I'm a teenager. xD

Pet/ra

#9 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

^

I agree. My parents I would DIE if they read a sex scene of mine. But my friends, I don't mind. There would be certain friends I probably wouldn't show but I don't think I'd be all that upset if they did read a steamy scene.

Mimsie.

#10 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

Maybe like, some of my really religious friends, I wouldn't show the steamier scenes to. But most of my friends are usually fine with it.

And on the topic of pen names, I use one here on MCMB anyway, so...

Pet/ra

#11 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

If I ever have a pen name, it will be Nikki Cross.
-Kayli ;p

#12 jess_rob4ever

jess_rob4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

^

I agree. My parents I would DIE if they read a sex scene of mine. But my friends, I don't mind. There would be certain friends I probably wouldn't show but I don't think I'd be all that upset if they did read a steamy scene.

Mimsie.

Really? I wouldn't let my friends read it because I see them so much more often than my parents. AND I'm closer with my friends. They'd probably be okay with it but tha would always hang there, I think. Like a pink elephant sometimes.

Maybe like, some of my really religious friends, I wouldn't show the steamier scenes to.

Pet/ra

Yeah, that's how I feel about my religious friends. Like I can't show them this one story that has a soul mate subplot (which isn't ony female and male, if you get my drift). It sucks sometimes, you know? There seem to be limitations about religion; my friends and I always like to talk about this. Sometimes a pen name does sound nice when you don't want people to know you wrote something, like there's this twisted belief idea I have I would probably get a lot of complaints about.

Oh, well. I'm athiest and I respect everyone's belief, but it's weird that my parents say that they need the priest to bless me or whatnot.

"How is that even going to help? There's water in the sink! Go mutter 'the lord loves you' and OH MY GOD, holy water!" Yes, I'm very cynical.

Sorry, rambling.

If I ever have a pen name, it will be Nikki Cross.
-Kayli ;p

I like your pen name.

If I ever decide going the pen name way, I'd choose Scarlett Greene (It's mine! Leave thieves! FLy! FLY!) because I think it's funny/

#13 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, well like, I'm Christian, and I'm really into my faith. But I do write a lot of stuff that a lot of my Christian friends wouldn't necessarily approve of, I guess. Like, male-male plots, etc., but I HAVE shown it to a few of them and the ones I've shown it to liked it well enough. There are some friends I just would never go there with, though. Maybe in the future if I were to write something really out there and really on the edge I might use a pen name for that, because I wouldn't really want people at church looking down on me or anything. It just all depends, though.

Pet/ra

#14 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

I would have my name on the cover, but wouldn't tell ANYONE that it was mine...
People I know read my stories enough when I post them online
I never show my Mum my stories because I just feel like cringing....

#15 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

I wouldnt use a pen name but wouldnt tell anyone I had wrote it unless they asked
lol

#16 PrincessLaci

PrincessLaci

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

Technically I already use a pen name.
Laci's not my real name. xD
I don't care if people know my name or not.

#17 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hell yes I would. I couldn't imagine another way.

Mine would be Julia Jones. Or maybe if I wanted to get all J.K. Rowling on you. J. J. Jones. rofl. I don't know what the middle J would stand for...

#18 IlovePavlov13

IlovePavlov13

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

It'd prolly be Ash Morse. I don't know why.

#19 Guest_eviie_*

Guest_eviie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

I don't know. Probably not. Because I would be so very very thrilled to go into a random book store (perhaps even on another continent) and se MY name on a cover. :D
And I don't really write about sex or stuff like that. (Nothing steamy, I guess.)
But also, some people might think I'm a total psycho, when reading it. :D If I'd puplish the one that's supposed to be a thriller. They'd really think I was sick in my head.

#20 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

Urgh, the whole thing about pen names, your parents would know you were publishing a book...wouldn't they? So a pen name would be no use.
XPenny PringleX

#21 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Your parents might know but not all those guys you went to school with or your teachers.
I´m not so sure anymore if I´d use one. Probably not. To me using a pen name feels like saying: "I´m not proud of my story so I´ll hide behind a pen name. No one must know that this is my book."

Love,

Kati

#22 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Urgh, the whole thing about pen names, your parents would know you were publishing a book...wouldn't they? So a pen name would be no use.
XPenny PringleX

Not necessarily. I wouldn't tell my parents. I don't need to nor would I want to.

Your parents might know but not all those guys you went to school with or your teachers.
I´m not so sure anymore if I´d use one. Probably not. To me using a pen name feels like saying: "I´m not proud of my story so I´ll hide behind a pen name. No one must know that this is my book."

Love,

Kati

It's not hiding. People have different reasons for pseudonyms. If you weren't proud of your book, then you probably wouldn't have published it. And if you did publish it for monetary reasons, then that says something about you. But there's always a reason people use pen names.

#23 crazee_top

crazee_top

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'd probably say my name is Jamie Lee which isn't very off. (especially since Lee is one of my middle names since my parents couln't decided between jamie or Jamie lee so when i am older I am going to legally change my name to it)

So that is sort of a pen name. But not really.

Then again, I might. I mean, it might be good to test the waters before saying "Yeah, it was written by me."
~Jamie xx

#24 kiya12309

kiya12309

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

I think I probably wouldn't use a pen name, just because, if I were to be honest, I have far too much pride. I don't want to work my fingers to the bone, just to have people know someone else's name. That feels like... a dissapointment to me.

#25 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

I wouldn't use a pen name. I'm sure people have their reasons for using pen names, and for a while I was considering it, but I've decided against it.

#26 xx.Phoebe.xx

xx.Phoebe.xx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Would I use a pen name? Maybe, if I didn't want my family and friends to read it. Ugh. That would be so embarrassing. I don't know what pen name I would use.. :huh:

Phoebe

#27 Airy Fairy

Airy Fairy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Absolutely! I would die if a member of my family read any of my writing.

Airy

#28 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

I would 'cause I wouldn't want my friends and family to know what I wrote, lol

Rivea :icon_flower:

#29 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I thought it over, and I think if I ever used a pen name, it would be along the lines of "Penny Skylar" or something similiar (like Skye Penny or Penny Skyes, etc.)

#30 FancyPants

FancyPants

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'm glad because I have like, 10 options for my name, 'cause my whole name has like 5 names in it, so I could switch it around 'n' stuff.

Amelia :mgicecream:

#31 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've thought about it. My last name is really hard to pronounce so It would be an awkward name for an author. But then again, I would like people to know it was me. People I know. Writing a book and getting it published are two very big accomplishments. I'd think I'd have to say no for that one. Even though I hate my last name...:P

-MEGHAN

#32 fat_louie_is_my_hero

fat_louie_is_my_hero

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Well if/ when I get a boook published I would probably use my real name, but that would be years down the road. For the stories I write now--the ones that I would get a proof copy of and not publish-- I would use a pen name for. That would only be so that it would not be awkward if someone sees my name on the cover and...you know, asked a 101 questions.

Plus, I think it would be fun to pretend to be someone else (sort of). :)

:cat: Em

P.S. my name would be Emma Quinn :D

Edited by fat_louie_is_my_hero, 05 July 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#33 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

Nah, no way :P I want full credit and bragging rights! Hehe.

The only thing I think's cool about it is getting to make a name. I'd want something crazy no doubt.

:)

Luv,
Jamie

#34 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hmm... I think I would consider it, but saying that "I, [insert name here], have [insert book title here] published" would be pretty awesome to say. HOWEVER, I would hate to have people I know read what I wrote and tell me about it. I don't take (rude) criticism the best, so I think a pen name might be a good option. If I did, it would have to be something utterly amazing...

xoxo,
~Pretty.Odd.Girl.

#35 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think it's okay to use a pen name! Sometimes it's hard for people who's names are like
Mary Jones.

Y'know?

I wouldn't. Because I want to have MY NAME ACROSS THE COVER!

But I might if I used 'ADULT' content and it was more mature. But if you read this comments, people are afraid for family and friends to read your work.

So what? How many people can say they have THEIR BOOK in a bookstore?

If it was just that then maybe not.

But if I did it would be like Anne M. Slaska

:D

Alex~ :blush:

#36 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Id never seen this topic before, and until just now, I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

But I think that I would use a penname if I were to write a romance novel, because Id be so embarrassed if my parents saw.

Im really paranoid and touchy about who knows what I write and sees it, because I know if my parents saw they'd be judgey.

Although it would be pretty cool to have a book published :D

So maybe using my real name wouldnt be so bad....

:heartbeat: Suze

#37 MordSith6

MordSith6

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Natalie Hale, I can't stand my last name...o.o

#38 dbcWinter

dbcWinter

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'd use a pen name, hands down. I'd feel uncomfortable having my real name on covers ... I  feel like then people would judge ME while reading, not the actual story. Besides, my real name represents who I am in everyday life. When writing, I become someone else, maybe truer self than I am in real life ... In everyday life, I am forced to do stuff I don't believe in because it is just what I am supposed to do (like college when I could be a full time writer .... honestly, I am doing it mostly because I don't think people would appreciate me taking a leap of faith and try to succeed with writing ...) so in some way, I am most honest when I write. My real self would feel cheated if it wore my everyday name :P

And yeah, I know this reads as if I have multiple personalities and am in desperate need of psychiatric help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users