• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#226 ecraven

ecraven

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Everyone says the exact same thing on this issue. Rough drafts will always be crap--yeah, got it. The thing is, I don't feel like I ever write anything that isn't awful. I don't really get that pride over my work that writers sometimes get to feel (except when I finished my novel; then I was a little proud). I know this is probably normal for writers (has anyone else noticed how it's a common thing for writers to have either very low self-esteem or too much arrogance when it comes to their work?), but I feel like it's become more and more bothersome over the last couple of months. Maybe it's because I just finished my novel and I'm finally getting to see the whole thing at once now. Probably.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. biggrin.gif It's nice to talk about this kind of thing with other writers with different experience and things.

xoxoArtemis

Find me a writer who says they love what they've written and I'll show you a liar!

#227 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Find me a writer who says they love what they've written and I'll show you a liar!

Hahaha, yeah. It does seem like writers have crap self-esteem... All of them...

xoxoArtemis

#228 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hahaha, yeah. It does seem like writers have crap self-esteem... All of them...

xoxoArtemis

Amen to that.

#229 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

It's like we all hate ourselves! I don't even know why. Writing shouldn't be nearly as competitive (I know that's not quite the right word but it's about right) as it is. It should be a personal thing. And yet we always have to compare ourselves to other writers and beat ourselves up--and that really distracts from the important stuff, the writing. Other people's writing has nothing to do with your writing so why do we compare it to our own? Two separate people. Focus on yourself, not the other people.

Lol. Sorry. Ranting. This is one of my huge problems in various areas. I get really competitive sometimes (writing and art are my big ones, also school--and even more so on that because of my super small school. I used to care about sports, but...I kind of decided I've had enough of those. I'll save my rant on that for a different time), so I need to tell myself stuff like that. A very wise man (my psychiatrist, who is the coolest guy ever), basically said the same thing to me one time (phrased a little more profoundly, of course), and it stuck. It has helped considerably.

Unfortunately, it has not helped me in the area of hating my writing. But I am a lot less jealous and I don't constantly compare myself to everyone else anymore. So that's good.

xoxoArtemis

#230 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

NOOOOOO I'm having problems writing again. ):

It's not that I don't want to write, because I really, really want to write. It's that I just can't. For one thing, I hardly have any time to do that anymore. Secondly, I'm finding it hard to get really into a scene. That's usually not a problem. If you know me, you know I get so into my writing that it's scary. I will be invested in every little detail. But right now, it's kind of hard to do that. The problem is definitely not that I don't care about my characters. I really love my characters.

And I don't think it's the story-arc I'm working on, either. I'm getting to write some really fun stuff right now (character-focused, much deeper than usual, with some of my favorite characters), so I'm not quite sure why it's so hard to write.

I think I what I really have to do is buy some new music and find a new way to get inspired. I have had a major lack of inspiration lately, at least in the ALRtI part of my writing. I actually went back to my Alyce universe during study hall. I've had a big idea going through my head with that lately, but I don't think I'll go through with it. I think it would be better to keep that universe to a single story. I definitely wouldn't write with the same characters (duh); they wouldn't even be mentioned. If I did write it, I also wouldn't post it (for various reasons).

There's also another story I really want to write, which would be more paranormal. I feel like that would be fun, since it would mean stepping out of my comfort zone a bit.

But I dunno. I've got so much to do with ALRtI, and I really want to get that done. I'm a little over halfway done. That went pretty quickly. (Way more quickly than Alyce, which took me a crapload of time and wasn't even any good. I learned a lot from it, though.) Hopefully I can pick up the pace here and get some stuff done.

On an entirely different note, I think I'm going to start blogging again. I realized I kind of miss it. Should be way less emo this time, too. Lol.

xoxoArtemis

#231 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

I kind of am exactly where you are at. I want to write SO bad, but I'm just struggling with it.

I think what I need to do is to not sit down thinking it's a story I'm about to write. I need to be like "yeah, I want to write right now. But maybe I'll write about my day or a poem or a random scene" instead of "I've got to write the next chapter in my book."

#232 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

I kind of am exactly where you are at. I want to write SO bad, but I'm just struggling with it.

I think what I need to do is to not sit down thinking it's a story I'm about to write. I need to be like "yeah, I want to write right now. But maybe I'll write about my day or a poem or a random scene" instead of "I've got to write the next chapter in my book."

I used to be like that but mine was more a confidence thing. I ended up doing my self a reward chart. At least one page a day of my book and one page misc such as planning or poetry etc if on any one day I write more than one page (which happens often) it doesn't count towards the rest of the week. That forces me to write something everyday :)
As a treat I get that we'll earned bar of chocolate and a day off of the housework! (I make the hubby do it lol)

#233 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Friendly reminder that it is 100% okay to be confident in your writing. Like, come on. Don't delude yourself into thinking everything you write sucks ass. It PROBABLY doesn't. Chances are, most of it's perfectly fine. It may not be where you want it to be, but by no means does that equate to crappy writing.

I see this all the time on the Internet. The vast majority of teen writers (including me, by the way) whine about how we can't write and moan about how we suck so badly. NOPE. Your writing is fine. Granted, there is a ton of godawful writing online, so, yeah, some people really do have a reason to bi/tch about it. Just go on Wattpad sometime and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

But seriously. You aren't being arrogant if you think your writing is good. That's called CONFIDENCE, and it is a much better state of mind to be in than the mindless "wow i suck" mindset. (3 different "mind" words in a row. Lol. Sorry.) So if you're writing something and you look back on it and you think, "That scene was seriously kickass and awesome," GOOD. The online teenage writing community needs to get it together and stop sulking.

Coming from someone who does exactly what I talked about in this post, this whole thing probably sounds hypocritical and irritating. Just know that I've been working on my self-esteem and I think I'm finally starting to GET it. The more you tell yoursel that you suck, the more you will suck. Writing with bold confidence does wonders for your story. Plus, NO ONE wants to hear you whine all the time. Believe me.

#234 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

And amen to the Wattpad thing. I think most people on that site are slightly brainwashed lol.

#235 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Oh, but ANYWAY, I do have a new story I've been working on that I could talk about here.

I posted a summary about it in the Writing section over a year ago (oh my goodness, A YEAR?) and dropped it for a while, but the concept is pretty much the same. In the future, there is a gene in children that is giving them the ability to freeze time at their own will. The president decides that all children with the gene need to terminated, so that happens, but then the president's wife has a child with the gene. The wife secretly transports the baby back in time (to our time). The story picks up seventeen years later from the POV of the oblivious girl. The VP's son from the future wants the termination law gone, so with knowledge that the President's wife unknowingly revealed to the him, he travels back in time to retrieve information from the girl. Aaaaaand worlds collide.

Basically that's just a scratch on the surface as to what the story is about. The backstory for the President and VP's family lives are so complex in my head that it's getting insane. All this infidelity and lying—I feel like I'm writing a soap opera. And yet I'm telling it all from the most oblivious persons POV, which is great, but challenging. There's this normal life all around her, which she wishes she could submerge herself in, but she knows she different, so she really can't.

I'm having fun though, more fun writing than I have had in a while. :)

Edited by Jcrazy, 12 January 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#236 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Oh my gosh, Jamie. That sounds so crazy and good. I have been wanting to read this since you mentioned it, and so I'm super excited you're writing it. :)

SO I have officially been done with AiD for a year. And the prologue still isn't edited. I've tried about a billion times and I just can't write it. :/

Buuut I think I figured out why. I sat down today and just thought about it, and one thing came to mind right away. The issue is voice. I cannot for the life of me get into Alyce's head. But you know whose head I can get into? Ariadne's.

Whoooaa, crazy. But yeah. I feel like a rewrite from her perspective could be so interesting. It would be a totally different story. Same characters, same plot, but a new perspective. Hmm.

The part I'd hate would be missing out on all my Cato & Alyce character development. Their friendship was my favorite. There were some scenes in there that would be really hard for me to get rid of. Also, Alyce's blandness and lack of heroic qualities made her a more untraditional protagonist. Ariadne brings a whole new set of qualities as a narrator.

Well, at this point, I say it's worth a shot. I can't let the story go. There's too much I want to do yet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users