• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#91 bleached_princess

bleached_princess

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

I also participated in YWNoWriMo, and I'm about to crack 90,000 words ... 13,000 more (I'm at 87,984 words) and I'm done. All I have is three chapters left ... I'm so close, but so far. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. I wish I could snap my fingers and be magically finished. It's funny, because these are the scenes that I've been imagining since the beginning, and now I can't write them.

To be totally honest, it's because I don't want the story to be over. I don't want to leave my main characters behind. ;)

When you want to get a book published and it´s a series, do you have to put that into the letter to the publisher when you send it in? Like "I intend to write two sequels" or something?

In a cover letter, you would write something along the lines of "Title of Story is the first in a three-book series, complete at xxx words."

Insert the number of books in the series as desired, etc.

As for where I set my stories, I also love the generic Somewhere in the US. It's so conveniently varying. Although An Unexpected Song (the story I was talking about earlier) takes place in Television City, CA, that's the first time I've ever chosen a specific city ... even a specific state, to be honest.

I'm currently finishing up An Unexpected Song, rewriting my nano Novel, Small Miracles, and writing Imprints on a Heart, which I'm posting here. I'm also planning out a whole lot of ideas, becaues I'm suddenly being bombarded by them left and right ...

--xoEmmy :mgbubblegum:

#92 pink*crane

pink*crane

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

This thread rocks! It's exactly what I've been needing lately.

I'm trying to start this new story, and while I normally tend to set my stories in places I know, this story called for some place far away and outside of the US. So since I've always love Greece I've decided to set it there. The place does play a big part in the story and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how I should go about researching this.

Sorry if I'm rambling but I just realized I have only ten days till school starts and am starting to stress out.

Nikki :spinstar:

#93 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Don't worry Nikki! You'll be able to do both. Great setting! I would suggest a good old-fashioned book, not the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 or Mamma Mia or anything like that. :lol:

#94 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, I'm writing a book too, in hopes of getting it published. Right now I'm righting my last draft on chapter three, and this book is going to be a series for teens 13 +, about two 15 year olds, it skips through days, weeks, months, YEARS! It actually starts out where the two are just starting high school, then skips to there last weeks/months of being 15.

But, really, when I read Avalon High, I had to change like, ten things, in fear that I'd be sued for copying Meg's ideas, WHEN I DIDN'T! I swear, we must have two great minds that think alike :eusa_clap:

I really don't want some loser taking my ideas, so that's pretty much all I'm going to say about my book, especially if I've been working so hard on it since March, and spent so much money on paper, much to the devistation of trees, which I have also been working on to save. :angel1:

~Nat~

#95 Un_Ryter_Inspired

Un_Ryter_Inspired

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Nat, man, I haven't read Avalon High, but that is pretty cool coincidence. :]

I'm not really afraid of someone taking my novel because: a. i don't have any novels, b. I would really be surprised to see my ideas hitting anything big.

Not to ruin the creative mood or anything, I am just really afraid someone will not like anything what I write. I've been convincing myself that I am doing it to write what I have to tell the world. But everytime I see the story, I feel like I am trying too hard to impress and it is too evident.

Thing is. I have a problem, that is stuck in my head. I have different vision of writing stories. I don't do anything normal, if you know what normal writers do. It's like the images, scenes, conversations, actions pass by my eyes, and it builds up quickly and I make a whole movie in my mind and when I start to write that, it comes out in very complicated and fast paced way. Thrilling and lively is what I am trying to achieve. Is it fair for teens to enjoy that type of novels? I don't think any of my friends really like that type. Should I just go the conventional way?

#96 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Well, I see your problem. What you need to do is think of something you like to read, but don't copy it exactly (That would just get you sued) Make up your characters and think of yourself in their situation. If you're writing a romance, then when the characters kiss, tell the reader what you like best in a kiss, in the characters P.O.V. If it's a thriller, like what I'm writing(Well actually, it's a Thriller/ romance) then tell the reader how YOU'D feel in the characters situation. Think the story through beginning-end and express your thoughts on paper, then when you outline all the faults and grammatical errors, put fingers to laptop (Or computer) keyboard. Hope I helped, and, good luck, hopefully we won't be rival writers someday:):) You have anymore questions, just ask. :spinstar:

#97 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:55 PM

Don't stress, seriously. It's terrific that you have your own unique writing style. It sounds very cool. Just take it slow and one scene at a time. As for your other worries, I am willing to try anything new and I'm sure other people would be eager to as well. You need to stop writing for others like your friends and start writing what you like. That way it won't seem forced or fake and it will come out just fine. Don't be afraid, just dive right in! :D

P.S. Be unconventional!!

#98 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:37 AM

Thing is. I have a problem, that is stuck in my head. I have different vision of writing stories. I don't do anything normal, if you know what normal writers do. It's like the images, scenes, conversations, actions pass by my eyes, and it builds up quickly and I make a whole movie in my mind and when I start to write that, it comes out in very complicated and fast paced way. Thrilling and lively is what I am trying to achieve. Is it fair for teens to enjoy that type of novels? I don't think any of my friends really like that type. Should I just go the conventional way?

Do you mean that you have the whole story in your mind like a movie? That you can really picture every scene of the story with every little detail there is? Well, if that´s it, that´s what I do too. :lol:
May advice is: Write what you want to write. It doesn´t really matter if your friends like it. You must like what you´re writing. :D

Love,

Kati :cat:

#99 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:49 AM

Hello I'm Ellena (I've never posted in this forum before so I'm hoping you can bare with me please.)

I've decided recently to try writing a romance novel. I have two ideas one of which involves a royal family.

the question I'd like to ask is; can anyone help me / does anyone know how to create believable country names?

Meg has Genovia, Nora Roberts has Cordinia... I just can't seem to put one together... :S

Thanks a bunch!

Ellena :020:

Here's an idea:

Write down all the letters of the alphabet, and cut them up, so that each letter is on an individual piece of paper.
With your eyes closed, pick out about ten letters, and arrange them into a name that sounds good!
Hope I helped!

OK, I am writing a book at the moment, called Boy and Girl, and it's narrated by both a boy and a girl, they take turns - one chapter, the noy, Seb, is narrating, then in the next chapter, Bobbie, the girl is narrative.
The plot is that Seb has been dumped by his girlfriend and is trying to avoid love, but Bobbie dumped her boyfriend and is trying to find someone better for her. She meets Seb and tries to, you know, Get Him.

I also have a whole bunch of other projects lined up. Here they are:

Jewel - Jewel Howisson and her best friend Cordy decide that they need jewel neckalaces, as a symbol of their friendship. Jewel finds an emerald and a ruby on sale on eBay and they look perfect, so she buys them! But her mother sees her on the site and tells her that you can't be sure of what your buying, so delete your account. But it turns out that the jewels belong to Princess Mischka of Russia. Everyone thinks that Jewel is the theif! Plus, she's deleted her account so she can't prove where she bought the jewels! So how did a Princess' jewels get on eBay? Jewel sets out to solve the mystery!

So far undetermined title - When Holly finds out that her parents are splitting up, she feels like her world is turning upside down! Who are her parents without each other? Who is she? Plus, is her best friend going off with another girl??

The Better Lauretta - Lauretta is a rebel. She isn't goth, or emo, like most rebels, in fact, she's a hippy! But she always thinks she knows best, so she breaks the rules! Always well-meaning, Lauretta tries to brighten up her school, but it backfires and her (racist - Lauretta is black) headmistress says she needs a more orderly home enviroment and suggests a prestigious Scottish boarding school! There, Lauretta meets conforming Emily, and opens up about her past. Will she end up as the better Lauretta?

Redo (I finished it already, but I think it sucks) of Sugar - Emma Wilcott's father was killed on her first day of school. After that, her mother sunk into depression and Emma was left to fend for herself. The only places she can relax are her best friend Corrie's house and The Sugar Crystal cafe! But then The Sugar Crystal has to close down. Can Emma save it? Can her mum get her life back together? And will she find true love along the way?

Sequel to Sugar: Sugary: Looking through her mum's stuff one day, Emma finds a box of letters... from her dad to another woman. Was he having an affair before he died? Plus, what's up with Corrie and Joe's weird behaviour? There couldn't be something going on between them, could there?

I hope that's all of them!

Also, if anyone steals those ideas I swear I'll... Well, I don't know what I'll do. But if I see those books in the stores I swear I'll sue!

No kidding.

~ :spinstar: ~ Char ~ :spinstar: ~

#100 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

I am currently sitting on an idea for a novel/novella/short story called Aerie. It's about a photographer and jsut like the rest of us, she's trying to find herself. Her mother is a drunk, her father is absentee, and she finds solace within a group of mismatched friend who sort of become her youth group.

#101 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

Wow, awesome title and concept. I've always wanted to do a story about a photographer, but I don't think I will. Are you a photographer?

#102 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:33 AM

What do you think of my book ideas?

#103 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:04 PM

^I'm sorry Char, I honestly didn't see them.

They all sound so great but the cutest and most exciting would have to be Jewel, for me. Can't wait!

#104 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

i posted this on would you read it a while ago and i still haven't got feed back for it so PLEASE tell me what you think!!!

i'm... i guess dabbing in abit of supernaturalness and i want to write a series of books about a girl and her Guardian Angel!
these are the first two

Angelic-Flirting with the devil

Elizabeth Wells was at one stage 'normal' or as normal as a teen embarrissment magnet can be. but after a horrible incident at a party that was all changed. Now she's falling in love with the wrong guy while getting push around by her guardian angel. so what's a girl to do? battle the forces of evil while keeping a A average? or fall for the sexy guy with mystical blue eyes and wings that lives in her bedroom?
Angelic-Surrounded by Angels
As if working on the holidays isn’t bad enough Lizzie’s working at the local fish and chip shop right next to the soccer oval and one guess where hot sweaty guys go after training… right up to her!
Even though she doesn’t know who much half the stuff she serving is she does know one thing for sure and that is the soccer player with the caramel eyes is HOT! Can Dominic convince her that there’s something wrong with the smooth talking Chris or will Lizzie be mystified by his other worldly charms and find out for herself that it's not only the chips that he wants to sink his fangs into...

so what do you think?
only up to chapter 7 on the first one so i guess i'm still a long way off!

suze♥

#105 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:51 AM

^I'm sorry Char, I honestly didn't see them.

They all sound so great but the cutest and most exciting would have to be Jewel, for me. Can't wait!

:D

Thank you so much!!

#106 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Wow, awesome title and concept. I've always wanted to do a story about a photographer, but I don't think I will. Are you a photographer?

Not a real photographer.

I have a digital camera, I like taking pictures of things. But it's not photography. Haha

#107 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

^Sweet. So do I! What kind of camera? I have a Nikon, but it's outdated already. :-(

#108 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

My camera hates me. >.< I love taking pictures, but it goes on the fritz. The screen goes absolutely blank (all white and bright), so I can't look at what I'm taking a picture of except through the little glass window at the top. Also, because of this, I can't delete pictures. It's done this off and on for at least a year, but it's been completely like that for four months... at least.

It makes me sad. (I've had the camera since January 2006)

Kat

#109 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

We've got Kodak, but in order to do anything good with the pictures you take, you have to download software. I've spent some time teaching myself how to do it, and I got a book from the library. So hopefully I don't sound like a total nut when I write. Haha

#110 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:05 AM

Cool! I wish I had Photoshop. I only have picnik. And a weird program that came with the camera. Photography's about the passion. Only a small part is editing. You will do great!

Aww, I hope it gets fixed or you get a new one, Kat!

#111 sweet.chickadee.miss.krys

sweet.chickadee.miss.krys

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hey guys!
My story on here (The Writing On Your Hand) which I started around March-April is around 50, 000 words which was my goal. Now I'm hoping to get around 60, 000.
I really want to write about issues like anorexia and depression, but I think a lot of people will be a bit confronted by them because it's not something you have in everyday conversation (unless you go to my school).
So yeah.

Suze, wow supernatural is awesome. Have you written some before?

<3 Krysz xx

#112 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Argh....I finally finished my novel at around 66500 words...and I wasn´t happy. When I finished my last two novels I was so happy that I started dancing and stuff. Not this time...I was just like "Well, so it´s finished."
This is really bringing me down. Maybe I´ll feel better after editing...I hope so.

What do you think of my book ideas?

Your book ideas are pretty good. I adore the one with Jewel :D

Sometimes I´m afraid that someone might steal my ideas when I post them on the internet...but then again: I wouldn´t want to write about someone else´s plot and characters. I don´t think there are a lot of writers who do.

What do you guys do when you have too many ideas? This sounds strange...but I have like seventeen folders on my computer. Each one is for a different idea I had for a story. And I want to write them all. But it´s going to take me forever, considering that I started the novel I was mentioning in April...

Love,

#113 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

My problem is that I don't have ideas. Or at least, very rarely do I have ideas. To some this would be awesome... but it just annoys me--you see, it ties me to the work I'm already doing. It's like my brain is saying 'No, you naughty little child--FINISH THE OTHER STORY.' And while I love my works-in progress, I haven't felt like I could start something new in.... just so long. It's frustrating. The two stories I've been writing are the same ones I started almost two years and one and a half years ago.

But I'm doing NaNo this year, so yayy I get to start another idea. :P

(Kati, I used to have lots of ideas, though... they just all disappeared o.o)

Kat

#114 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:34 AM

Who hates editing just as much as I do?
It´s taking me so long. Yesterday I spent more than six hours correcting and changing things and I didn´t even get half through the novel. :mad:
And somehow a lot of new words appear. When I started editing I had 66.500 and now there are 69.000. :huh: This is driving me crazy. :wacko:

And while I love my works-in progress, I haven't felt like I could start something new in.... just so long. It's frustrating. The two stories I've been writing are the same ones I started almost two years and one and a half years ago

At least you´re writing them. I have an idea for a story that I thought of two years ago and...it dissapeared into a folder and was never heard of again. I get the feeling that I´m never going to write that story but I want to so badly...it´s just...I can´t. :(

Love,

#115 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

I sympathize, but it's still frustrating for me. And writing totally consists of random bursts of writing... Gah, I feel so uninspired.

It isn't that I don't want to finish them (I'm only really working on one of them, basically). It's that the subject matter is so emotional and, well, that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least TRY to finish. Because it means so much to me, even though many parts of it are pretty sucky.

I've had a lot of people say things similar, but that doesn't change how I feel about it. I don't think it's lucky not to be able to start anything else. It feels stifling.

But I'm just complaining. Whatever. :P

Kat

#116 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

Because it means so much to me, even though many parts of it are pretty sucky.

Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes I just want to start over but though I don´t like it...I still want to keep and finish it. It doesn´t make sense but there is something about it I like though it sucks.

Love,

#117 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

I sympathize, but it's still frustrating for me. And writing totally consists of random bursts of writing... Gah, I feel so uninspired.

It isn't that I don't want to finish them (I'm only really working on one of them, basically). It's that the subject matter is so emotional and, well, that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least TRY to finish. Because it means so much to me, even though many parts of it are pretty sucky.

I've had a lot of people say things similar, but that doesn't change how I feel about it. I don't think it's lucky not to be able to start anything else. It feels stifling.

But I'm just complaining. Whatever. :P

Kat

Kat, that's really admirable. You have so much dedication that many people lack. And that's what will pull you through and make you stand out in the end. It's the only way to finish a novel. I believe in you!

#118 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:44 AM

i posted this on would you read it a while ago and i still haven't got feed back for it so PLEASE tell me what you think!!!

i'm... i guess dabbing in abit of supernaturalness and i want to write a series of books about a girl and her Guardian Angel!
these are the first two

Angelic-Flirting with the devil
Elizabeth Wells was at one stage 'normal' or as normal as a teen embarrissment magnet can be. but after a horrible incident at a party that was all changed. Now she's falling in love with the wrong guy while getting push around by her guardian angel. so what's a girl to do? battle the forces of evil while keeping a A average? or fall for the sexy guy with mystical blue eyes and wings that lives in her bedroom?
Angelic-Surrounded by Angels
As if working on the holidays isn’t bad enough Lizzie’s working at the local fish and chip shop right next to the soccer oval and one guess where hot sweaty guys go after training… right up to her!
Even though she doesn’t know who much half the stuff she serving is she does know one thing for sure and that is the soccer player with the caramel eyes is HOT! Can Dominic convince her that there’s something wrong with the smooth talking Chris or will Lizzie be mystified by his other worldly charms and find out for herself that it's not only the chips that he wants to sink his fangs into...
so what do you think?
only up to chapter 7 on the first one so i guess i'm still a long way off!
suze♥

hello? what do you guys think?!
soz did't mean to sound pushy... lol!
suze♥

#119 mychemro*kiss*

mychemro*kiss*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:52 AM

The first one sounds cool, but it seems a btit like Mediator... Ghost living in her bedroom.... Angel living in her bedroom. And her name is Elizabth Wells. Lizzie Nichols, Queen of Babble, and Heather Wells, Size 12. I don't know. Maybe 'm silly.

OKAY, So I have this ideas for a four book series called Seasons Greeting.

Each one will be about a romance in that season, so each will have a full story. I can't really decide whether I want to mkae it about the same two people and how they fall in love over a course of a year, or how four different couples get together. Also, I was thinking that the characters could be formed around the weather. Like, for the first one (titled either Winter's Kiss or Winter's Chill), I was thinking that the two could be really cold toward each other.... I don't know. It's kind of hazy. But I want to do one!

Jess the Shocker :blink:

#120 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hey, wow nice thread Char.

Your ideas are really cool; I like The Better Lauretta and Jewel.

Jess, I really like that idea, I think you should do it about different characters instead of the same characters over a year (I hope I make sense)

I'm writing a few stories at the moment:

My Web of Lies - A young girl who is abused by her stepfather, so she sets off on her own into the world to make a new life, only to find out she is pregnant (there are other little catches but I can't reveal them because it's already on MCMB)

Violence Anonymous - Another story I'm preparing to put on here, I already did but then I asked to get it deleted because I went about it in the wrong way. It's about a teenager with anger problems and her mother dumps her in Violence Anonymous - a section of Little Springs boarding school while she goes to Africa on a project. How long can she last without being thrown out, or making an exit for herself?

The Spirit that Wanders - Lexie Baird was an ordinary woman, left alone with two children she was struggling for support, but when a mysterious spirit makes itself known, Lexie can't help but be completely obsessed with it. Why is it here? And why has it found her?

So whaddya think ?

-Mimsie.

#121 mychemro*kiss*

mychemro*kiss*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:14 AM

I like the first two, but I don't really understand the third one. Spirit...? Like a ghost or a fairy or something? Huh? And yeah, I get what you mean. I like that. I think that's what I'll do. Thanks! ^_^

#122 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

The first one sounds cool, but it seems a btit like Mediator... Ghost living in her bedroom.... Angel living in her bedroom. And her name is Elizabth Wells. Lizzie Nichols, Queen of Babble, and Heather Wells, Size 12. I don't know. Maybe 'm silly.

OKAY, So I have this ideas for a four book series called Seasons Greeting.

Each one will be about a romance in that season, so each will have a full story. I can't really decide whether I want to mkae it about the same two people and how they fall in love over a course of a year, or how four different couples get together. Also, I was thinking that the characters could be formed around the weather. Like, for the first one (titled either Winter's Kiss or Winter's Chill), I was thinking that the two could be really cold toward each other.... I don't know. It's kind of hazy. But I want to do one!

I really like this Season Greetings ideas! I think either way you structured would be good but making up four different stories with four different couples would be more fun.

#123 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

I like the first two, but I don't really understand the third one. Spirit...? Like a ghost or a fairy or something? Huh? And yeah, I get what you mean. I like that. I think that's what I'll do. Thanks! ^_^

Yeah, I'm a little confused about the spirit thing as well. It sounds like it could be interesting though!

#124 Beckybear

Beckybear

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

Wowie Char, you have some amazing story ideas. I quite like the sound of Jewel.
Do you like(even ever so slightly) My Soldier(you know the one)? Cause I dunno about it anymore. I have this really really bad habit of coming up with story ideas that make me run around and jump with glee, then deleting them because I don't like them or don't think they're going anywhere. What to do, What to do?

#125 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

^^ BECKY! HELLO!

My Soldier is really good... Post it!

Tell everyone else about it, though.

I'm pretty much thinking, you can delete your stories all you want if you don't think they're going anywhere. But if you're just at a hard part, not sure how to write a scene, I say plough on! Take your time! You can do it!

Have you posted a story on the boards? If so, link please?

#126 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

Yeah like a ghost.

And thank you.

:spinstar: Mimsie.

#127 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

What do you guys do when you have too many ideas? This sounds strange...but I have like seventeen folders on my computer. Each one is for a different idea I had for a story. And I want to write them all. But it´s going to take me forever, considering that I started the novel I was mentioning in April...

Love,

I have that same problem actually. I have a bunch of ideas and I want to write them all as well but then I think I should just stick to one project until it's done, you know? Otherwise I'll just end up with a bunch of unfinished novels.

#128 kop

kop

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

Momomoney mo problemsp

#129 kop

kop

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

My fault.

#130 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

I have that same problem actually. I have a bunch of ideas and I want to write them all as well but then I think I should just stick to one project until it's done, you know? Otherwise I'll just end up with a bunch of unfinished novels.

I completely agree with you about sticking to one novel. Here's what I would recommend for your problem: multi-tasking. Don't limit yourself to writing just one idea at a time.

Through the course of writing a novel, a Hill is always bound to appear. Maybe some writer's block and frustrations with the story, so sometimes, in order to get past this, you work on a different story, and when you go back to the story you put aside for a bit, you feel more fresh and creative.

This way, you will also be able to write all of your ideas without it taking five years. ;)

ALMOST PERFECT: Initially, it was about an overweight girl who struggles to lose weight, and then develops an eating disorder. However, I have modified some things - meaning this story will require a rewrite, eventually - and now, the main character, Ariel, is already skinny, but she is under the impression that she has to be skinnier. I wrote this for YWNoWriMo, and stopped at 49,110, I believe.

THE NIGHTS THAT GET TO YOU: This story is about a girl named Max who is going through some difficulties in her life, and her only friend and life support, the only person she can count on, is Cameron. (A guy.) I wrote it for Nano, and won at exactly 50K - even though the Nano meter said it was 50,001, but I KNOW it was 50K because I planned out the last thirteen words - but I will be rewriting this story also. (Noticing a pattern?) I have a feeling that most of my stories will require complete rewrites.

ODE TO THE LONELY HEARTED: Violet doesn't believe in love, but when she is teleported back to the Regency era, her outlook is beginning to change. This is my WIP, and I am writing it for Share-A-Plot 2008/2009: Cravatzpalooza. Emmy (bleached_princess), Jess (mychemrokiss), Nomi, Mel (Mediator 17), and Stefanie are all writing stories with the same general concept of going back in time to the Regency era as well.

#131 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

I completely agree with you about sticking to one novel. Here's what I would recommend for your problem: multi-tasking. Don't limit yourself to writing just one idea at a time.

Through the course of writing a novel, a Hill is always bound to appear. Maybe some writer's block and frustrations with the story, so sometimes, in order to get past this, you work on a different story, and when you go back to the story you put aside for a bit, you feel more fresh and creative.

This way, you will also be able to write all of your ideas without it taking five years. ;)

ALMOST PERFECT: Initially, it was about an overweight girl who struggles to lose weight, and then develops an eating disorder. However, I have modified some things - meaning this story will require a rewrite, eventually - and now, the main character, Ariel, is already skinny, but she is under the impression that she has to be skinnier. I wrote this for YWNoWriMo, and stopped at 49,110, I believe.

THE NIGHTS THAT GET TO YOU: This story is about a girl named Max who is going through some difficulties in her life, and her only friend and life support, the only person she can count on, is Cameron. (A guy.) I wrote it for Nano, and won at exactly 50K - even though the Nano meter said it was 50,001, but I KNOW it was 50K because I planned out the last thirteen words - but I will be rewriting this story also. (Noticing a pattern?) I have a feeling that most of my stories will require complete rewrites.

ODE TO THE LONELY HEARTED: Violet doesn't believe in love, but when she is teleported back to the Regency era, her outlook is beginning to change. This is my WIP, and I am writing it for Share-A-Plot 2008/2009: Cravatzpalooza. Emmy (bleached_princess), Jess (mychemrokiss), Nomi, Mel (Mediator 17), and Stefanie are all writing stories with the same general concept of going back in time to the Regency era as well.

#132 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

Oops! Sorry for the double post!

- Shakey

#133 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

I really do need some help at the moment, you guys!

I have a few stories on my plate at the moment-:
Tiffany Swift
The Spirit that Wanders
My Web of Lies
Violence Anonymous.

And none of them are finished, I keep starting stories, getting better ideas and moving on, only to be writing half way through and think this isn't any good.

Oh and another thing, have you guys ever had the problem when you start a story, and you think the beginning is really good but the quality just sort of fades as you continue writing, if so, what advice could you give to me?

Also have you ever read another story and then started writing your own, and suddenly thought it was no good anymore?
If so, what advice could you give?

Thank you so much, it's a recurring problem, and I'd love to just be able to shake it off, and continue.

;)

#134 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

#135 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

I really do need some help at the moment, you guys!

I have a few stories on my plate at the moment-:
Tiffany Swift
The Spirit that Wanders
My Web of Lies
Violence Anonymous.

And none of them are finished, I keep starting stories, getting better ideas and moving on, only to be writing half way through and think this isn't any good.

Oh and another thing, have you guys ever had the problem when you start a story, and you think the beginning is really good but the quality just sort of fades as you continue writing, if so, what advice could you give to me?

Also have you ever read another story and then started writing your own, and suddenly thought it was no good anymore?
If so, what advice could you give?

Thank you so much, it's a recurring problem, and I'd love to just be able to shake it off, and continue.

;)

I know what you mean as far as thinking your stuff isn't good enough after a while and starting another project because of it. Just keep in mind that even when the initial rush of new- story brilliance fades, DON'T PANIC. There is always editing. And the beautiful part about editing is that you can edit and edit and edit until you get it up to par with your other writing. Sometimes, it's just as good you just feel insecure after reading other stories which you think are so much better. Just push through it. If you care about the story enough it'll come to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users