i quoted the wrong thing :(

haha

#47 happy_happy

happy_happy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

like when i try to go on the page it blocks me and all i get is these massiva words saying that the page have bben disabled or some thing due to stuff!
i am so angry!!!!!!

suze♥

I bet you are!!

#48 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

You can't just ask them not to?

I guess I could. But I just feel like a prude, I guess, since I can't handle mature language/themes. -_-

Can't wait to read what madness you dreamed up!

#49 wildangel58

wildangel58

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

my books are so short right now. I'm almost halfway through one and I only have about 9,050 words. Is that bad?

wildangel

#50 wildangel58

wildangel58

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

I just checked and my story now has 9,616 wordsIt's better, but not still not good for climax of my story.

wildangel58

#51 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

^That's fine. If that's how long your story is, that's how long it is. You just can't ramble on for thousands of words if your story isn't long enough.

Emily :icon_flower:

#52 wildangel58

wildangel58

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

I'm glad I'm not that close to finishing. I'm only near the climax or the about the middle. So I still have time. Plus I'm doing editing on Word which gives you more words for words like gonna.

wildangel58

#53 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

Sometimes I feel as though my stories are crap and I just want to delete them (but I don´t. I used to but these days are over). Does anyone know that feeling? It´s really getting me down sometimes. When it´s getting really bad I can´t get myself to write on that story for weeks!
I hate it. <_<

I just checked and my story now has 9,616 wordsIt's better, but not still not good for climax of my story.

I used to feel that way about one of my stories. I finished it some time ago and it now has "only" 22.343 words. But that´s okay because the story is finished and there´s nothing else I could write. Never try to stretch a story out. It can make a good story awful.

I guess I could. But I just feel like a prude, I guess, since I can't handle mature language/themes.

I don´t like using mature language and stuff too. Well, nothing too mature. :lol: I think you should just tell them if you don´t want to use it.

Love,

Kati :cat:

#54 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Sorry for posting after myself but I forgot to say something. :lol:

I have worked on my series of novels for three years before I even started writing book one. When I did, I felt like I was right there in the story because I knew the characters and places so well. I guess these stories turned out to be novels and not novellas because of that. I could tell so many things about the characters and I knew so much about all the places and the plot that it seemed as though the story wrote itself. I think I´ve tried to write that story for like at least five times without getting anywhere before, so I just stopped it and learned to know my story before I tried again. It worked. Well ,this works for me. It mustn´t take as long as it took me, I guess. Did this happen to anyone else?

Love,

PS: Sorry for rambling so much... ^_^

#55 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

I can't write novels. I just write TONS of short stories. I wrote a series of short stories that were related, but I don't think I would be able to connect them. I wish I could write longer stories, but I don't know how.

#56 jess_rob4ever

jess_rob4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

It's weird.
Not to be vain or anything, but I have this great idea for a novel in my head but I just
can't seem to write it. I love playing it over in my head but I'm worried that it
won't come out the same if I write it.
I write tons of fanfics and have no problems there but when it comes to something
I'd actually like to get publish I sort of freeze over.
Anyone have that problem??

#57 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

I totally do. Or novels usually come out as plays.

I write a lot of plays. It helps that I am a theatre kid. But I wish I could actually write novels!

I have so many ideas..But none of them can come out as anything more describtive then short stories/plays.

#58 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

^ I can't write novels either... >.< Everything I write always ends up being shorter than ten pages aka a short story... Hopefully the story I'm working on right now will be longerr... Lollll

-Alice-

#59 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

I have folders on my desktop for my writing like: "Short Stories" "Plays" and one called, "If I Make A Folder For A Novel I Probably Won't Be Able To Write One"

Haha.

#60 Corbeaux

Corbeaux

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

I've just started my novel and I have to say that this is perhaps my dozenth attempt! I can never finish; in fact I can barely start off. But I think my current idea has potential. It's historical fiction, in the early twentieth century, and it goes into WWI and such. Before, I had wanted to write about something supernatural, but now I see that that genre has been done too many times.

I'm handwriting my manuscript. I know I have to send a typed copy for publishing but I don't think I can ever get it done unless I write it out by hand first. How are you guys writing down your manuscripts, out of curiousity?

#61 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:04 AM

How are you guys writing down your manuscripts, out of curiousity?

I can never write by hand because my mind is always moving faster then my hand. At least when I type it's more equally paced.

#62 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

With me, at least recently, I've taken to handwriting. For me, actually, writing it out by hand is faster. I've started to write all in cursive, which is a LOT quicker than my print. And when I type, I tend to overthink and rewrite. So I just think of it as a rough draft. I still like both, though.

A page of writing:

Posted Image

Kat

#63 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

You have nice handwriting.

I handwrite if I have an idea I just NEED to get out. Like, last year I would be sitting in class and I would start to write randomly, and I can do that when I don't have acess to a computer, it's just so messy when I write, and it hurts my hand because I writing so fast.

#64 tamires_dc

tamires_dc

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

With me, at least recently, I've taken to handwriting. For me, actually, writing it out by hand is faster. I've started to write all in cursive, which is a LOT quicker than my print. And when I type, I tend to overthink and rewrite. So I just think of it as a rough draft. I still like both, though.
A page of writing:

Posted Image
Kat

Your handwriting is so cute, Kat! ^_^

I'm writing about a boy's life, I think is a romantic story, but I don't know if I can end up it. :icon_mecry2:

Bookgirl25, you have luck to write faster! *jealous* I'm so slow to do it :icon_redface:

Tammi :mgbubblegum:

#65 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

I wish I could have a handwriting like that. Mine looks so stupid, especially when I write fast. That´s why I usually type it on my computer.

Just a little question: Does anyone here know how to write a synopsis?

Love,

#66 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

A synopsis is just a general summary of what you write. It's one or two sentences that are interesting, and make the reader want to read the story.

#67 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

You have nice handwriting.

I handwrite if I have an idea I just NEED to get out. Like, last year I would be sitting in class and I would start to write randomly, and I can do that when I don't have acess to a computer, it's just so messy when I write, and it hurts my hand because I writing so fast.

Your handwriting is so cute, Kat! ^_^

I'm writing about a boy's life, I think is a romantic story, but I don't know if I can end up it. :icon_mecry2:

Bookgirl25, you have luck to write faster! *jealous* I'm so slow to do it :icon_redface:

I wish I could have a handwriting like that. Mine looks so stupid, especially when I write fast. That´s why I usually type it on my computer.

Just a little question: Does anyone here know how to write a synopsis?

Love,

Aww, thanks. I'm actually in awe that I "fell" into having nicer cursive writing, because it used to be a lot messier. Once I started using it frequently it got better. While I have good print writing, it's a lot harder to write with because it's slower.

:)

Kat

#68 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

It's weird.
Not to be vain or anything, but I have this great idea for a novel in my head but I just
can't seem to write it. I love playing it over in my head but I'm worried that it
won't come out the same if I write it.
I write tons of fanfics and have no problems there but when it comes to something
I'd actually like to get publish I sort of freeze over.
Anyone have that problem??

Before you write/type your story onto paper, write your sentence in your head as you say that works for you. Then, while your idea is still fresh in your mind, type it out. That might help a bit?

Oh, don't worry about being arrogant - you're totally not, just proud of your idea, I get like that all the time!

Lolz

Hope my tips helped! :a_smil08:

Char :m:

#69 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

A synopsis is just a general summary of what you write. It's one or two sentences that are interesting, and make the reader want to read the story.

...that´s strange. So it isn´t the same as a summary? Because they want a summary AND a synopsis. And that´s confusing me big time.

Love,

#70 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

Synopsis is just a fancy word for summary. Haha. They're the same thing.

#71 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

I have the same short story not turning into a novel problem. It just won't turn into a novel, probably because I originally designed it as a short story with a definite beginning, middle and end. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to come up with something else.

When I handwrite, I do the opposite and write in print. My cursive is too crazy. Sometimes my hand gets really tired and can't catch up with my mind too. But I always get distracted while on the computer and end up going here instead. ^_^

#72 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

O.o I usually like typing because if I write fast, it gets reaaalllly messy... I write part cursive part printing :P

#73 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:23 AM

^ lol!
same here! when i write i write in cursive but my cursive is like the olden days cursive... you know all long and slanted...
when i write really fast it just turns in to long slanting scribbles! so i do just about all of my writing on the computer!

Suze♥

#74 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

can someone please do me a favour and come up with a last name for my character jake?
he's in the story i posted on MCMB and i really need a last name for him!
all i need in something kinda dark and abit evil i guess... but not to obvious! did i just give the story away?
anyway please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suze♥

#75 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hey suze! I went on http://www.seventhsa...e=evilsoundname and you can get evil sounding names like Lilurm and Faul. :)

#76 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

Sorry, that link isn't right. Here it is. Evil-Sounding Name Generator

#77 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

can someone please do me a favour and come up with a last name for my character jake?
he's in the story i posted on MCMB and i really need a last name for him!
all i need in something kinda dark and abit evil i guess... but not to obvious! did i just give the story away?
anyway please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suze♥

Jake De Valenci, of course! Uh, how could you have not thought of that? *Jokes*

Lolz

Hope I helped!

:heartbeat: Char :heartbeat:

#78 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

How do you guys make up the characters for your stories?

For me it´s always the same: They are just there. Weird, isn´t it? I write them down and when I think of a story, I look at all of my collected characters and choose some.
But sometimes, when I think of a story I think of some characters right along with it. It´s funny. But how do you do it? A friend of mine told me that it takes her very long to think of good characters.

Love,

#79 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

For my most recent character, I take parts of myself and mix them into somebody interesting, and then give them a ton of problems. Sometimes you create a character entirely different from you, though.

So my advice is make a realistic person, someone you'd like to meet/know, with flaws and everything. Then put them in a unique situation.

#80 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Just one little question. What are your favorite places for the story to take place? Mine are the american west, England and Ireland. I´m just asking because I´m curious.

And one question because I need a little help and don´t want to start a new topic: Does someone know how to...let´s say...capture moments in writing? Like a sunset or something? Because I really want to do that (and I tried but I don´t know if I managed to do it).

Love,

#81 tamires_dc

tamires_dc

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

^^ American West, England and Ireland, haha, it's so cool. I always write about places that I know :huh:

Kati, don't worry about it. Everybody have your own way to write!
I think don't have a right way to capture moments in writing.

If in your narration this moment sounds natural, so I think it's all right! :D

Kisses,

#82 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

I've recently gotten the idea to do a story about schizophrenia. I haven't really determined the length of it, my feeling is that it will most likely be a short story.

I am thinking the main character will be Windy, and unsuspecting being, incredibly intelligent, but misunderstood. Her demon will be Ornias, which was a name for a 'harrassing demon' in ancient times.

I haven't really worked out the plot of the story, the characters are just placed so boldly in my mind, and I'd like to do something with them.

Perhaps, I won't make Windy possessed, but rather, Ornias would be a demon on earth, kind of loves tory thing.

Ideas?

#83 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

^^ American West, England and Ireland, haha, it's so cool. I always write about places that I know

Kati, don't worry about it. Everybody have your own way to write!
I think don't have a right way to capture moments in writing.

If in your narration this moment sounds natural, so I think it's all right!

The only places I know are Germany (where I live), Italy, Exmouth in England and Prague. And I can´t write about Germany (boring) or Prague (don´t really know why though. It´s probably because I only spent four days there). And I can´t always set my stories in Exmouth or Italy. :lol: So I choose places that interest me and research them on the internet. Most of the time I make up my own small towns so that I don´t get anything wrong. ^_^

Thanks for answering my question. You´re probably right. :D I´m just obsessed with descriptive writing. I love it....well, if it´s places that are described and not, er, motorboats like in some books I´ve read. I guess you know what I mean. :a_smil08:

Love,

#84 kittyfly

kittyfly

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hello I'm Ellena (I've never posted in this forum before so I'm hoping you can bare with me please.)

I've decided recently to try writing a romance novel. I have two ideas one of which involves a royal family.

the question I'd like to ask is; can anyone help me / does anyone know how to create believable country names?

Meg has Genovia, Nora Roberts has Cordinia... I just can't seem to put one together... :S

Thanks a bunch!

Ellena :020:

#85 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

Kati: My favorite places for stories would probably be the generic Somewhere in the US. Haha. I'm too lazy to actually research places but that sounds extremely interesting. And it's great that you love descriptive writing. It's hard to do, for sure, but try to put yourself into the scene and use your senses to describe it. Maybe look at a picture if you need to.

bookgirl25: Cool! Maybe put Windy in a situation where she has to be "normal" and Ornias keeps messing it up. That's very general I know. Give her another love interest? Or a scenario where she must save the world. See, now don't you regret asking? :D

#86 m0nkey_luvs

m0nkey_luvs

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

When I put the place for characters, I just put either Chicago (Where I used to live) or somewhere in the Denver metro are (close to where I live, though I live in this high class, supposedly snobby village called *put the name of a red fruit here* Hills Village. I will not go into detail because this village is quite small, and I doubt many Anna's live in it.

And if its so snobby and high class, then explain why I live on a dirt road... and plus our grass is yellow and we don't even have a second floor to our house. Humph.

-Anna

#87 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for all your answers. :lol:

I have another question. (I never run out of them ^_^ )

When you want to get a book published and it´s a series, do you have to put that into the letter to the publisher when you send it in? Like "I intend to write two sequels" or something?

Love,

#88 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

I'm kinda sad. I have to find a new TT partner and I must advertise for one. I am slightly lazy...

#89 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

^^poor you... i'd offer but i've already got one!

When you want to get a book published and it´s a series, do you have to put that into the letter to the publisher when you send it in? Like "I intend to write two sequels" or something?

Love,

Kati

i'm not sure but good question i've been meaning to ask it myself i think they might publish the first book and then see how it goes from there... does that mean you've already finished writing something and is ready so send it in?
i really need to do my homework right now...LOL! i guess i didn't exactly answer the question sorry... hope someone else can!
suze♥

#90 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I was recently in a contest called YWNoWriMo - a playoff of Nano - on http://ywritersclub.proboards59.com/ I wrote a story called Almost Perfect. I stopped at 49,110 words - but didn't finish - and now I'm going to rewrite it. I'm going to plan it first, along with getting to know the characters better, and then rewrite it.

I'm also planning two other stories, For Life and Just the Girl Next Door. The titles may change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users