235 replies to this topic

#1 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hey!

On this thread you can whine about the tiny number of words you have written, gloat about the ginat number of words have written, ask for advice when you are stuck trying to make your book sound beautiful and passionate...

If you are considering publishing your book then probably don't post parts of your book on this thread (because story-stealing losers can still be Meg fans! lol)

Char
:m:

#2 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

OK, I know I probably should be writing my book now if I want to get it published (which I do), but I had to comeon here to tell you all that (eek) I have 23, 565 words in my book!!! yay!!!

Char

#3 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

oh goood i knew someone would start something like this!
okay, my story is 15000 words long already! and i've only done 5 chapters!
but strangely i'm kinda stuck on chapter 6!
need help!!!!!!!!!!
i can't think of a way to start it!
gr........... so mad!
oh yeah i really want it published too! do have an editor? would you/ have you ever asked your friend to be one before?

suze♥

#4 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

I'm so happy you like the thread!

It's pretty difficult to start chapters, hey? Like, you have something incredible happening in the middle of the chapter, but you don't want to be too abrupt. Maybe start with the first person (even if the book is narrated by the third person) musing over what happened in the last chapter?

No, I don't have an editor, but I do ask my friends for feedback if they're interested in reading my book - stuff like 'did you like it', and 'do you think she should... or....'

Char

#5 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

Woot! I passed the 25,000 word point!!! Woot!

#6 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm nearly at 25,000 on one of my stories, as well (about 200 words to go). On another I think I'm passed 30,000... but I haven't written on that one in ages.

Kat

#7 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

Pst, don't tell but I'm secretly writing something. ^_^ But I wrote it all by hand and now I don't feel like typing it up! -_- I know, I just like to write it out the old-fashioned way. Not to mention it needs a ton of revision and I'm worried I'm jamming too much into a very long one-shot. I'm still excited though! :lol:

#8 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

That's neat. I've taken to hand-writing a lot of my work recently, because it seems like the only time I have to write is at school during down time. I've gotten more used to it--it used to drive me crazy.

Good luck with your secret writing.

Kat

#9 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Thanks! Hmm, I have a completely OT question for a mod that doesn't go anywhere...but I'm really curious! What to do...

#10 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hmm, I have a completely OT question for a mod that doesn't go anywhere...

ANY mod? If I can help ask away.

And so long as we're asking strange questions (and to keep this post somewhat on topic) I need to write, so I want to ask someone to dare me to write something. Strange as you like. I'm bored and studying is . . . Boring.

#11 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

The chapter of my book that I'm writing at the moment is going to be greeeat!!! Yay!

Anyway, schrodingers cat, I dare you to write about a girl called Zelia who lives on a so far un-discovered (by people of Earth) planet.

If you want.

Char :m:

#12 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

I'd love to dare you but, shouldn't you be, er, studying? I dare you to study!! :P
What if you study for two hours and write for half an hour? And keep going.

Ok, I got this from a NaNoWriMo topic:
Have a character that compulsively play a song that fits with every scene on a portable music player or something
- Bonus if the other characters notice this and comment on it
- Double bonus if, during a crucial/climactic scene, said character interrupts the drama/action by screaming, "I can't find a song that fits!"

*sigh* I love that dare.

P.S. It's kind of a technical question.

#13 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

NaNo Dares thread rules all.

So, apparently I am now writing about a girl called Zelia, living on another planet, with a friend who owns an MP3 player with no climactic music songs.

FUN!! ^_^

#14 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Glad to help. For NaNo, do you just type out crazy nonsense real fast or do you actually think about what you're writing?

#15 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:24 AM

a bit of each. I have a plot (and a lot of times I stick to it too!) and I just write it quickly with some random nonsense on the side.

NaNo isn't half bad. What's worse was April Fools in 2006. THEN I spewed out some random stuff. . .

#16 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

Glad to help. For NaNo, do you just type out crazy nonsense real fast or do you actually think about what you're writing?

For me, it was crazy nonsense the whole time... I had this sort of faux-plot that was really weird. To this day I can't specify exactly what I was writing about....

Kat

#17 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Okay, I love this thread. :lol:
Just one little question: Like eight month back I never really was able to finish stories. I always deleted them because I hated them so much. And then suddenly I finished a novel with about 52.000 words. And since then...it works. My stories get finished. I have written a sequel to that one with 60.000 words and am now writing another sequel. And I finished two novellas too. Did this happen to anyone else?

Love,

Kati :cat:

#18 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Wow - I think it could be happening to me becuase, before, I could never finish my books! But I think I'm going to finish this book, maybe, because I already HAVE 25,000 and something words!!!

P.S I'm so happy that you :heartbeat: the thread!!!

#19 Avalon-Princess

Avalon-Princess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

In one of my stories I have 11,691 words. I'm really into that one too, I'd tell you what it is about, but then I'd have to kill you. lol. In the same story, which I'm hoping to get enough written in to call it a novel, I have some ten chapters, which is really sad. I'm afraid that I won't be able to make it last long enough to be called a novel. :icon_mecry2:

♥Quack♫

#20 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

... o.o Wow.... IHow do you guys write so much? I get sick of my ideas so easily.... If I make stuff long, then it starts to drone on... >.< Lolll. Maybe I should write a story based on my life. It would be so repetitive... xP The same thing happens everyday. xP

-Alice-

#21 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Honestly, I have never written that much. I get so insecure. (I'm actually very insecure, by the way). But I always thought if I had some readers forcing me to write (or suffer bodily harm) I would. But then again I'm also a die-hard procratinator. :mellow:

My writing is always evolving, like me. Not improving, but I think my view of life, etc. changes daily because I learn so much. So when I look back on former work, I usually hate it.

Write whatever you want to read. So if you like fluffy romance, then write that. So you'll never get tired of it. Or make your life really exciting.

To me a novel is a story with a beginning, middle and end that has little (or big) chapters. You don't have to define it by other people's standards.

Oh yeah, so I'm like a fake writer. I think I'm starting to write again but eh, who knows?

#22 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Hey,

Does anyone know how many words/chapters a story has to have to be classified as a novel?
Thanks

Love Melissa :heartbeat:

#23 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

No, not really, but I would say it has to be at least 150 pages long... Hmmm, I don't know though so don't pay any attention to me! :icon_redface:

Lolz

#24 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

I´ve asked that question somewhere too. Some people say 50.000 words. And someone said 55.000 words. But I´m not sure either.

Love,

#25 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

click here

#26 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

In that case I'm past the minimum word amount for a novella, but haven't passed the maximum yet... *sigh*

Thanks so much, schrodingers cat, though, that really helps.

#27 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

^^^Congrats, Char. I know how that feels. I always feel proud of myself and all, and then I realise how much work I have to do.

And I'm usually so busy that I tend to write SLOWLY. Really, horribly slowly. At least, that's been the case for awhile.

But a quick synopsis of what I'm currently working on:

The Angles of Love- my current WIP. Want to get it finished by the end of summer. It's possible, but I've still got at least 20,000 more words to go. *sighs* It's fun to write, though.

A semi-sequel to one of my past novels. I REALLY want to post it here, but I want to get to a certain point in AoL first. But that's at about 12,000 words. Not much, but I only work on it every once in awhile.

I've also got a two reposts I'll probably post after summer, plus a new idea.

What can I say? I sometimes tend to suspect that I have writing ADD.

:P

~Maggie

#28 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

Ok, Thanks guys.

At the moment I'm writing a couple of stories.
One about a ghost, one kinda similar to The Princess Diaries, one in diary form
and another couple fluffy romance novels.

I hope to publish a couple of them one day.

Thanks for the word count.

#29 Cooper & Jesse Luver

Cooper & Jesse Luver

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:03 AM

Well, I have been trying to write a few things lately but I feel like they're all the same, I know they're not but I don't know why I feel this way?

I have also been writing by hand because my 'Word' program on the computer has gone stupid, grrr..... <_<

I just need some inspiration, I just feel like all my stories go no where!

Anyway, congrats on all your stories, they sound like they are going well.

Meg

xoxo

#30 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:25 AM

Thanks,

Well as all of my stories do they annoy me and get hard sometimes but I just work it out or come back too it.
Meg said (if it's inspiration that your looking for) write about what has happened to you, what hasn't happened to you
what you would like to happen to you. Stuff like that. I think I can find it somewhere...
Here it is:

Q: I can’t think of anything to write about.
A: How about this: Who do you hate and why? Who do you love and why? What’s happened to you that you wish hadn’t happened? What hasn’t happened to you that you wish WOULD happen?
Write these things down. There’s your story.
Obviously you’ve got to create a plot and change your characters names so your friends and family won’t sue you. But that’s the fun part.

There you go, hope it helped.

#31 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

Well, I have been trying to write a few things lately but I feel like they're all the same, I know they're not but I don't know why I feel this way?

I know this feeling. It´s awful. I always feel like all of my ideas are the same...but they aren´t. (I hope)

I´m currently working on four stories. That´s because I always have new ideas and I really want to start writing the stories! :lol:

Love,

#32 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

oh my god oh my god oh my god dad put a filter on the computer and now i can't even get on my own story that's on MCMB!!!!!
i am so sad!
does anyone know how to get it off???

suze♥

#33 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

I suck on computers, sorry, I wish I could help... :(

Char

#34 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Can´t you ask him to take it off again?
I suck on computers too. All I can do is open the writing program and write. And go on the internet of course. I don´t even know what a filter is. <_< Sorry... :(

Love,

#35 Charlii_x

Charlii_x

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Have you tried internet settings
ANd I've written 45 pages and nearly 13 chapters

#36 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

What do you mean can't get to your story? o.O Like how... when you click the link? o.O

#37 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

Wow, thanks for Meg's quote! It makes writing sound so easy.

It's fun to get inspired by songs, especially emotional ones that practically tell a heart-breaking story all by themselves. :D

#38 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

like when i try to go on the page it blocks me and all i get is these massiva words saying that the page have bben disabled or some thing due to stuff!
i am so angry!!!!!!

suze♥

#39 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

^^ Well, that's weird.

Why would your parents have put a filter on your computer?

Sorry if this sounds stupid (what? I said I sucked on computers!), but can you ask your parents to, like, unblock jsut your book or something?

I dunno.

Sorry if I'm an idiot... :unsure:

Char :m
:

#40 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

^^ Sorry, the keyboard shortcut to the ':m:' is ': m :'

#41 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

OK, what?

Sorry - I meant: the keyboard shortcut for the ' :m: ' is ': m :'

#42 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

I've written a few pages for two different short stories. They are kind of similar because they follow a guy and a girl from childhood. One's much sadder. Actually, it's kind of uplifting too. I'm rambling.

Is it an issue when your TT partner uses the f-word/sexual comments in their work but you prefer not to? It's awkward for me.

Also, how's your dare story coming along, schrodingers cat? ;)

#43 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:22 AM

very strange. . . I'm only a couple of thousand words in (exams :() but I'm glad I'm writing again. :)

Is it an issue when your TT partner uses the f-word/sexual comments in their work but you prefer not to? It's awkward for me.

You can't just ask them not to?

#44 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:21 AM

^^if you don't fell comfortable just say NO!!!!!!! in fact this applies for just about all things!
suze♥

#45 happy_happy

happy_happy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

Wow, thanks for Meg's quote! It makes writing sound so easy.

It's fun to get inspired by songs, especially emotional ones that practically tell a heart-breaking story all by themselves. :D

Oh i bet you are!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users