Photo

So...who tells their family?

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

Poll: So...who tells their family? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you tell your family that you write?

1. Yes, of course (40 votes [25.48%])

Percentage of vote: 25.48%

2. Only a few close family members (58 votes [36.94%])

Percentage of vote: 36.94%

3. No way! (59 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 mollizzle17

mollizzle17

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

My family knows that I write, and I let them read the stories that aren't love-related (or ones worthy of posting on this forum, haha). And then yesterday I spent like five hours on the computer writing and my dad kicked me off and was like, "What do you do on there all day?" And I'm like, "Well, dad, I'm writing." Then he asks why him and my mom don't get to read them, and I just told him he probably wouldn't be, um, interested in them. i'm not sure he gets that I'm writing major make-out scenes (and even more intense stuff). But all my friends read them and love them. I'm keeping it that way. :)

#92 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

It's kinda sad but I doubt my dad will ever care or want to read what I write, fiction-wise. Maybe if I write a school article he would. My mom is really forceful about getting published and that kind of scares me so she is never seeing what I write. It would just be weird if she read teen stuff and liked it. Plus, she tries to give me creative advice that just grates on my nerves. You can't just shoot a perfect picture. And there are no rules to doing so. But I' m supposed to do that and in writing too. My little sister would probably tease me to death. Grr. Okay, so no one in my family is ever seeing my writing. My friends are supportive but so flaky. They never give me decent feedback on anything. Although one of my friends who is freakishly boy-crazy loves the kissing.

I don't have any problems writing stories that go against my family's beliefs. But if I wrote something really controversial in the school paper I might be um, harrassed or something.

#93 wildangel58

wildangel58

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

I never tell my parents that I write!!!!!!!
The only one's who have read it are my friends at school who also write here.
My brother knows from my grandma(no idea how she knows)He thinks I writing bad stuff.
And it's embaressing. I don't know why.
It's kinda private.
And my parents are really strict on words and stuff.

I would never tell them.
And if I did ever publish a book, I'de have a pen name like Sammy Foster or something cool.
Like my horoscope...Aries...

anyway...

wildangel58 :a_smil08:

#94 Music=Love123

Music=Love123

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

i kind of metion it. but they never read it, some of my friends now though. I have the same thing though, im afride to tell my parents that when I'm older I don't want to be a lawyer or a doctor. I kind of want to be in a band, or act or something like that. They know i'm into that kind of stuff, but i think they were rather have me going to Juleart than touring the world. lol.

MV♫

#95 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Only my Brother knows how much I really write. There's no point me even trying to explain it to my parents. There never around anyway. Plsu my Mum would probably laugh at everything that I write and say that it's really bad and I should just give up. Shows you how much of a loyal family I have.
My Brother knows that I write loads and likes to read what I write. Most of the time he likes it but if he thinks that I could have done better he'll delete it and make me type it all again. He's my own personal critic.
The whole of my Sister's Year knows that I write descriptive storyes and stuff because not so long ago my sister printed loads of copies of my English coursework (Which was all based on the Mermaid series on Nickeloden called H2O: Just Add Water) and handed it around her class. My sister called my mermaid freak for a week until my brother threatended to tell mum about her secret boyfriend unless she shut up. It's the only thing that we can actually have over her because normally she's such a goody two shoes.
Anyway that was kind of of topic...
Generally no one knows how much I really write on my computer and laptop. I haven't even shown my brother the new one that I'm working on. I think that he'll laugh at me if I show it to him though.

[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

#96 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

#97 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

* Whoops *
I'm reall sorry for this triple post.
I wasn't meant to post that above.
Just proving something to my Friend.
Sorry again.

(And now My Friends laughing at me because I'm apologising... Haha! She just read that and shut up. Lol)

#98 m0nkey_luvs

m0nkey_luvs

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

Two of my friends write stories along with me. My mom kinda knows that I write but she's not too interested and then my brother thinks that this website is stupid and then goes onto an extremely dumb website like runescape or funorb or something weird like that.

-Anna

#99 wildangel58

wildangel58

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

same here. Only a few know and my bro thinks this site is bad. And my mom just wouldn't approve. She's strictly christain and would freak over somewords I have. (even if letters are blanked out)
I'm so alone at my house...No girls...Everyone in my house is imature and hate writing(Except my dad, but he would freak even more than my mom) Only a couple school friends know. And their writing with me.

wildangel58

#100 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

A lot of my short stories are extremely autobiogrphical. It's just a fictional character living my life pretty much, or experiencing things I've experienced. My parents know I write, but I don't even let them read my poetry.

I've always said that to read my writing is to know me as deeply as you can, and that's why I don't let a lt of people read it. I'd be afraid that my parents would freak out about the content.

#101 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

So in the past, when I was in like 4th Grade, I told my parents that I wrote. In fact, I even told them WHAT they were about since they were so G rated. I actually just finished a story that I never told my parents about. If I ever let them read it, I'd die! Because the plot was was something I'd taken out of a minor part of this movie, except it turned out totally different so it wasn't like I'd copied the movie. Anyway, I'll probably tell my parents eventually, like when I'm an adult.

Ruby

#102 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Well, when I was a kid I would write something and run to show my Dad, but even though I know he would still be as supportive, my writing is too personal for me to be comfortable with him reading it.

#103 Corbeaux

Corbeaux

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

I used to tell my family that I write, but they never read all of what I write. Sometimes, they may not be interested, but I don't mind anymore because the current story that I'm writing --- I wouldn't want them to read it unless it was published or something. I always write G-rated stuff so that's not a problem, but I still don't feel comfortable with someone reading my work.

#104 kittyfly

kittyfly

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

No one has posted here in a while but i need to vent so here goes.

I told my mom onceand she just looked at me like i was smoking cheese. a few years later (17 yrs old) she said its okay if i want to publish a novel.

A select few of my friends know, this is because I know a few who wud actually print to show off to people :icon_redface:

And just a few minutes ago I let my boyfriend (who already knew) proof read part of a chapter that i was about to post. he said i was good then actually corrected a few errors i had made :D I was slightly mortified that he did cause he hardly ever reads for fun yet he was critiqing(sp?)

Thank god for me he's afraid of reading my stuff for some reason...

Well thanks for letting me rant in here :D **smiles widely**

Ellena :020:

#105 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Yeah.

I'm always really open with my family. They brought me up that way.
But Last year, I showed my little sister part of a story I was writing
and I didn't realize it had sex references in it.
She told Mum and I got a big lecture about how she didn't think I should be
writing about 'stuff like that', let alone show it to my sister.

I haven't shown them anything since.

Love Melissa :heartbeat:

#106 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

Nowadays, I get so engrossed in my writing, that I'll go on sprees. I'll write for three or four hours at a time, my parents usually inquire as to what I am doing, but they never ask to read what I write.

#107 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Writing is just so personal to me. The characters, emotions, everything - it's like a mirror to my soul. There's so much of me in it. Sounds weird, I know, but that's why I don't want to show it to anyone. Anyway, it's hardly good enough quality.

#108 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

^ I get what you mean, that's part of the reason why I don't even post my stuff here. If it's original fiction it's usually a reflection of me.

#109 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

^Well, I'm ok with total strangers, I just can't handle the scrutiny of people close to me. I'd risk it here for good CC. How do you get criticism then?

#110 Charlii_x

Charlii_x

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

I've told my family and now I'm trying to hide bacause my mother always takes away my laptop and I'm always writing.

Charlie xxx

#111 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

I've posted my short stories here, hah, I never get CC.

#112 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

Really? Actually, the Short Story/Essay Sticky is pretty dusty. And CC is rare there. But I'll go look through it again for yours. ^_^

#113 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

I got them deleted off the forum cause I heard this rumour you can't get published if you post stuff on the internet, and I wanted to do more editing work on them,

#114 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

Oh. Well happy editing! Though that may be an oxymoron for some people. ^_^

And good luck getting published!

#115 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

Only a few close family members. My mom, dad, and sister know that I write. Well, not really my sister. My mom likes writing, too, so it's not really a big deal for us.

#116 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

Only a few close family members. My mom, dad, and sister know that I write. Well, not really my sister. My mom likes writing, too, so it's not really a big deal for us.

#117 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

Sorry for the double-post.

#118 bleached_princess

bleached_princess

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

I never used to tell my family, but ever sinec I statred doing Nano, I had to start explaining why I was spending so much time typing away at the computer. ;) So now pretty much everyone knows, but it's not really a big deal. Just common knowledge.

#119 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

I told my mom that I was writing a book, then instantly regreted it, because she's so nosy. I've shown her what I've written already, and she would say "That's not exceptable!* I need to pronounce the words in OLD ENGLISH form, like blond with an e, and stuff like that.
And she sneaks into my stuff and re-writes things, so the character who's talking to her mom is suddenly being talked to BY her mom!
I also draw my characters, and am very self conscious about the kissing scenes, and violent scenes, because she hates that! :mgwave:

I :heartbeat: my mom, but I know enough not to let her read it, I just tell her I'm writing.

~Nat~

#120 SHKD318

SHKD318

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Well...back when I used to write 24/7, my parents knew I was writing because I would be on my computer (when it was in my room). They didn't seem to care about what I was writing about because they figured writing was better than just surfing the web or playing games. I never really told my parents about what I was writing either because they don't really approve of the whole romance genre.

#121 Sassenach

Sassenach

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

I think my parents KNOW that I write, maybe because I go nowhere without my notebook. But I haven't told them. And I won't. Ever.
Okay maybe if I get published someday, but no way I'll let them know the name of the book. I'll just run away for awhile and come back when they've read it, and forgottan all about it.

^^^, Sarah

#122 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Lol! Your mom rewrites your stories for you? Not that I'll ever get published or anything, but my mom would probably ask for tons of copies and hand them out to all her friends.

#123 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

My sister gets really annoying, though - she complains and says that I'm "always on my laptop" and "always reading a book". But I won't tell her that I'm writing, because she might want to read it, or worse, tell people. Kids are not good with secrets. In fact, she recently told some people at a thing where everyone was dancing, that at home, I dance all the time, but - for some weird reason - I don't dance outside of the house. :blink:

Ah well.

The most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me was when I had my laptop opened to an empty document with only a title. And it was called "The Meaning of Pain". (Back in my stages of "Trying to Come Up with the Weirdest and Stupidest Things To Write" - and no, the stage wasn't intentional) And my father-figure was in my room - I forget why - and he saw it, and kind of mocked it. Extremely embarrassing. :icon_redface: I mock it now, though. Mock my younger, immature self. Even if it was only a few months ago.

Has anyone ever taken a notebook to school that you keep your writing in? I did once. Total disaster. I let my friend read it, and my teacher happened to be walking up and down the aisles, asked what it was, I turned around, shook my head at my friend, but she told her anyway. That I wrote it. Worst of all? It was crap. NOO! But thankfully, it was just summaries of a series of stories. Whew. Still, my class was actually quiet during that time, and I was embarrassed to where I was wondering if the theory that people could die of embarrassment was real. Talk about a near-death situation.

#124 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

YIKES :icon_eek:

I WILL NEVER TAKE MY NOTEBOOK TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do right summaries in my notebooks, in fact, I have the original sequel to the book I'm writing(I'm going in a totally different direction), and it's CRAP!! I mean run-on sentences, no REAL plot, grammatical errors, etc.

~Nattie~

#125 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

Nah, you should be fine. There are a number of reasons that this incredibly embarrassing moment happened to me.

1) My friend is not good at keeping secrets
2) My teacher was nosy
3) The titles were kind of colorful, so maybe it popped out at her (I was in 6th grade, give me a break)
4) I was in 6th grade. We didn't change classes. If that matters. Just trying to make you feel better.
5) This person I know writes songs and she reads them out loud in class. No one makes fun of it, and lots of people say they like them. So don't feel embarrassed, even if someone does read it.
6) I go to a really small school. If you go to a larger school, chances are that no one will even notice that they're doing something out-of-the-ordinary, or not paying attention in class.
7) If you're writing while you're teacher is lecturing, they will be very pleased because it looks like you're taking endless notes.
8) And if you're teacher notices, they won't send you to the principal's or anything because you weren't writing a note. They'll most likely just tell you to pay attention.
9) Unless yours is like my 7th grade Math teacher, who sent my friend to the principal's for having a hole in her knee. A whole that my friend didn't even notice! And it wasn't an intentional hole. But she sent her anyway.
10) We ended up laughing hysterically when we were told the story, but that's getting off topic.

I brought my notebook to school a few times, but I never did much writing. So now that's the main reason I don't bring it. Although I'm tempted sometimes, and I'm sure Nano will flatter the prospect.

#126 CadenceL

CadenceL

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

I don't believe my parents know I write, but I can't be sure. My mother is so nosy, I wouldn't be surprised if she went through my drawers and found all my notebooks with stories, or turned on my computer and checked Microsoft Word. If they don't know, they probably think I'm just always instant messaging people. They really don't care what I do here at home, as long as I don't get into trouble or "bother" anyone.

I always kind of wish I could tell them, but then I think twice about it. I don't know what they would do if I did tell them. Would they say "cool" and want to read it? Or just not really care? In the end, I think if the moment ever comes that I feel so strongly about a story, enough to publish it, I will tell them about it.

My friends do not have the slightest clue that I write. They are not very observant, but that's what they have me for!

:m: Leann

#127 otempora

otempora

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

psh. i would never tell my parents i write. it is one of those things i just love doing but don't think i'm good enough to let others read. i'm just shy that way. if my parents ever read any of my stuff they would be like what's the point . when you could be doing something better with your life.

my parents hate the fact that i spend so much time reading.they think i just read other peoples stories on MCMB . i wish. i've only posted one story and it's a fan fic. i'm like scared to put up any others. incase there laughed at or whever. do you know what i mean?

but perish the thought of my parents reading some of my stuff

and bring my notebook to school? i don't use a notebook my parents would be like , why are you bringing a note book to school. because they gie us a jotter to use. and if i had one i wouldn't bring it to school. because ,what if someone found it? i would die of embarassment

~*~corella~*~

#128 Button

Button

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

well my brother knows and i sometimes let him read a chapter or two.

my father definitely doesn't know but I think mom does.

otempora- I'm new here and all but i think you should post whatever you've written. Its okay if people don't like it, i mean thats life. If you get published there will be people who may not like your work either.

Also I think this would be a good way to get feedback on your writing. Nothing beats a try!

nottuButton :aiwebs_014:

#129 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

I was writing in my journal on the front porch the other day, and my Dad came out and sat with me, but he didn't ask what I wrote.

He is really respectuful about my writing. I got published on this website, and I told him I didn't want him to read and he was okay with it. I think he would really like to, but I never really let him, unless it's something I am sure he would approve of.

My mother just doesn't care. Hah

#130 IluvWill22

IluvWill22

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

My mom begs, and begs, and BEGS to read my story, and when I FINALY show her, she says "God, what am I reading?!" Then either blames that I'm morbid, or tells me that I'm a little boy crazy! *Grits teeth*

She also loves to write, says that I might be better than her.

~Nattie~

#131 Amy1995

Amy1995

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

My mum and Dad know i write and are always asking to read and i keep saying no and my dad keeps looking over my shoulder to read it and reads it out loud so mum can hear it and anyone else who's in the house it is so irritating.

Three of my friends know i write because they always get the stories and are always asking for updates. I don't mind my friends knowing but my family that is just too embarassing.

I better go because my dads coming back and he'll try and read this!!!

#132 JENNY THE GOSSIP GIRL

JENNY THE GOSSIP GIRL

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

lol

#133 Avalon-Princess

Avalon-Princess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

I actually told my mom about the stories I was writing a few months back. I don't let her read them though. My twin (who is actually one of my closet friends and is like family) reads on of my stories, and I read hers. I like to keep the stuff I write as private from my family as possible.

Lately, my mom has been telling almost everyone who comes over that I write stories, though. It's a little embarassing.

#134 Amy1995

Amy1995

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

I told my friend about this new story i was writing
then she told our art teacher now my art teacher wants to read them
she knew that i read book but not write!!!

So i'm not telling my family or that friend again because
i don't want all my teachers to know!!

I better go i have a have a story to type for Art!!
BYE

#135 otempora

otempora

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

well my brother knows and i sometimes let him read a chapter or two.

my father definitely doesn't know but I think mom does.
otempora- I'm new here and all but i think you should post whatever you've written. Its okay if people don't like it, i mean thats life. If you get published there will be people who may not like your work either.

Also I think this would be a good way to get feedback on your writing. Nothing beats a try!
nottuButton :aiwebs_014:

thanks that helps , i know not everyone will like my work, but i'm just naturally shy that way and am scared of people criticizing it and being all, okay what is thae point in even writing this. i apreciete people who read my work and twll m what they really think. what knocks me down only makes me stronger when i get back up
but i am going to delete my story, i just don't know where to go with it right now. nah. i still won't twell anyone what i'm writing.
my parents saw me writing.
the next day they asked for my notebook.
i tore the pages out hhide them under my matteress and gave her the notebook.
i wouldn't let her read them.
not that she would
my parents think i'm weird for reading
the just don't get the fact that i like to read
i'm going on
byee!!

~*~corella~*~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users