Photo

So...who tells their family?

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

Poll: So...who tells their family? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you tell your family that you write?

1. Yes, of course (40 votes [25.48%])

Percentage of vote: 25.48%

2. Only a few close family members (58 votes [36.94%])

Percentage of vote: 36.94%

3. No way! (59 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

My mother has been at me to let her read my stories that I write, but the thing is that, somewhere in them, there are like kissing scenes and she might be like, "Ahem, Cerra, is there something you would like to tell me?" She would either
A:Believe I have somehow had experience in kissing, or
B:Always check the books I check out from the library and never let me read anything with fluff.
Scary, believe me I know, but my parents are very strict Christians. As a matter of fact I got so mad at my dad today when he made me take an oversized jacket zipped up, because I decided to where a white T-shirt. I had a Cami under it, but ARGH! He doesn't understand.
Sorry, I needed to let that steam blow.

Cerra ♥

#47 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

^Oh, he also believed it was too tight-it so wasn't it was looser compared to my screened tees.
Okay, now I'm done.

Cerra ♥

#48 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

My parents know about my NaNo, and I think they've forgotten that I spend most of my hours on here. They dont care what I do. Lol.

They know I write, and they ask what about, and instead of saying boys and relationships, I just say, "A girl and her life in high school, and like, her family and how they get on her nerves and stuff." Lmao.

Luuurve, Ami . . X

#49 NeverForever

NeverForever

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

my parents are telling most of my relatives that i write and everyone wants to read it and i dont feel comfortable having my grandmother or teacher read about boys and stuff. once had a few curses in my writing and i had to change it because so many people wanted to read it. lol

#50 All American Girl3

All American Girl3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

I would never show my writing to my folks! :icon_redface:

To be honest with the world, you may need to be honest with your mother; if you cannot face your mother, perhaps you are not ready to write for the world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I got that quoto from a writing form!

#51 Jesse_and_Me

Jesse_and_Me

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

both my parents know that i write and support me 100 per cent. im really lucky actually.
ive shown my dad some stories and stuff but not my fan fic.

"To be honest with the world, you may need to be honest with your mother; if you cannot face your mother, perhaps you are not ready to write for the world."

i love that quote!

ps. the only problem is that im writing a story about a girl with serious anger management issues called Anger Management Classes and i'm gonna put some strong swearing in it...ah well. my parents will just have to deal. its my story, and my life, after all.
-xx

#52 All American Girl3

All American Girl3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

^ I totally agree, but I'm going to have to use a pen name to write my stories... :blink:

#53 female shakespeare

female shakespeare

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

My parents know I write. Especially when NaNoWriMo rolls around and I like lock myself in my room. And for some reason they don't mind me staying up till all hours of the night if they know I'm writing. Weird, I know, but they see it as an "academic hobby" so it doesn't matter. I don't let them read what I write though. They know I write HP Fan fiction, but they already knew I was obsessed with HP so that was nothing. And I suppose my dad might have read some of my Nano because I had to tell him I was printing it off (I just had to HOLD it) because it was multiple hundreds of pages... Haha... But I grabbed it out of his hands pretty fast so he couldn't read much of it. As far as he knows its about a bunch of kids in high school. Yup. That's it, dad. They go to school. That's ALLLL they do. *nods head convincingly*

My friends also know I write, but I would sooner tell my parents what I write than my friends, I think. I once showed a slightly fluffy part of one of my stories to my friends about a guy rubbing the girl's feet and they told me that was gross. I wrote it to be sweet. Yep. Last time I'll show them a piece like that.

I want to use a pen name when I grow up, but just for privacy reasons. I've decided that if I'm good enough to get published, whoever wants to can read it. And my family and friends WILL know that its ME goshdarnit. I want credit for my work. :D

~Moo

#54 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

My parents know I write, but it's not really by choice. It actually just kind of came up in conversation, because both my sister and I are writers.

Plus, I think they had figured it out before then. I mean, we have MS Word open all the time. They don't read it, though, thank God. They're pretty much just happy that we're doing something constructive with our time.

At last count, only three of my friends know, and again, it just kind of came up in coversation. I tend to blurt things out like that, lol. But I don't go announcing in most of the time :P

~Maggie

#55 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

My parents do know that I write. But they don't know what I write about, and I'd like to keep it that way. If they knew about some of the stuff I think up for my stories... I would die of embarrassment. Whether they would really care of not, I'm not sure. My mom's pretty understanding about that kind of stuff; however I don't know how exactly my dad would take the whole thing.

As for my friends, they know. I carry around a composition book at school, not as a journal, but as something to write in when ever I get an idea. I've only let one of my friends actually read stff I've written, though. I've got to watch out for ambushes from the others trying to sntch the book when I'm looking away. Haha

Michelle

#56 moxierain

moxierain

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

my mom and some close relatives know that I like to write but I never showed them any of my writing.

#57 dancingstone

dancingstone

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:11 AM

The only people besides MCMBers that have ever read anything I've written are my sister, who is close to my age, and surprisingly I'm comfortable with my dad reading everything I write, making out and all, lol. Most people would be embarassed with their dad reading something like that, but I'm way closer to my dad than I am to my mum.

In fact, I made the mistake once of showing one of my stories to my mother, and because the main character cheated on her boyfriend my Mum's like, "You're a b#@$ Jade, you're cheating on your boyfriend." I tried to explain to her that it was from the CHARACTER'S point of view, and not mine, obviously, but she was still like, "Whatever. This girl's a b#@$. Why are you writing about her?"

*Sigh* So I've given up letting anyone much read my stories.

Although it's still annoying when I'm in the car writing on my laptop and my aunty says, "What are typing back there?" and I happen to be writing a steamy make out scene.

Lol.

Love Jade :icon_sunny:

#58 _x_Jessica_x_

_x_Jessica_x_

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

i let my mum read one of my update's once but now, i'm too embaressed. She has this way of making me feel embaressed almost all the time.

so now i don't let her see anything i write, unless it's to do with school like a history paper or english essay.

When i showed my mum what i had written, she said it was really good, and didn't even say anything about the kissing, but now she might because she's always asking me stuff like "Why don't you have a boyfriend yet" and "Your so pretty, why don't you have a boyfriend"
it's embaressing, especially right in front of my dad.

Right now i'm even worried she'll come back in the room and see what i'm typing so i'm going to stop because i'd really want to be sucked into a whole.

βriie ♣

#59 Dede

Dede

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

They know I write, but no way in hell will they ever read what I write.

It's the same with me! Well, I usually don't describe sex-scenes but letting them read my descriptions of boys, kisses, etc would be the most embarrassing moment of my life. A couple of months ago my mom was like: “What is it in those Meg Cabot books that you like so much, after all? What are they about?” Guess what I was reading? Queen of Babble -the sex scene. I just stood quiet lol It's the same when I'm writing. I hate it when anyone tries to read MY stuff without my permission ('cause yeah, apart from my friends there's no way they'll get my permission).

DEDE*

#60 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

Ugh, when my Mom talked over the phone with the teacher of my writing class (I wrote a process essay on How to Write a Novel, so she knew, and we'd had conversations about it), she found out.

It was really awkward. She was like, "She said you had written three novels! Where are they? I haven't seen them!"

I just went, "On the computer," then shut up, sunk down in my chair, and changed the subject.

It was a couple weeks ago, and we haven't talked about it since.

Emily :icon_flower:

Save the bees, save the world!

#61 perfumed secrets

perfumed secrets

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:15 AM

My parents know I write, but they've only read some of my stuff for creative writing class. My mother actually stuck one of my poems on the fridge, which is embarrasing because she's always trying to get people to read it.
Usually I let my friends read all my stuff. except recently, I told one friend I was trying to write a book, and she told this guy I have a huge crush on. Now he's always asking about it, like "How's the book?" "How far are you?" He wants to read it, and I think its flattering and all, but I'd just about die if he did.

#62 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:20 AM

Mine know that I write. There isn't much way for them NOT to know, seeing how much time I spend at the computer. My dad didn't know until recently, though, when I was doing NaNoWriMo. By then, I think, what with my frequent days of getting to sleep after five in the morning... it was a little obvious. Ge didn't know until literally the last few days of November, though...

And even though they "know," I don't show them anything I've written. I used to show my mom a tiny bit of it--but I don't like sharing my writing. It's so weird... To me.

My mother tried to get me in the newspaper for doing NaNoWriMo. THAT was terrifying, even if she didn't get around to sending the email... Psshaw. Lots of people do NaNoWriMo... what makes me so special?

Must. Stop. Ranting. :P

Kat

#63 mediatorlover101

mediatorlover101

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

My family doesn't know that I write except my mom who spies on me and she always wants to read my stories and I tell her no. But only because of the fact some of my chapters include sex scenes and I don't want my mom to read them because then she'll have to give me "The Talk" and I don't want to hear that. So when she asks to see my stories I change the subject.

#64 c4drakebell247

c4drakebell247

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

well, i never really planned on telling my family
i barely told my bff...but then me & her starte writing a book together so i told her
and now my uncle is writing a book, so i told my mom but i don't think she believes me...

#65 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

My parents know I write but they think it's completely innocent.
My friends also know that I write but I don't tell them the specifics because
they aren't really the kind who go for the Romantic comedies so yeah. . .
It's best not to because one time I was reading a sex scene and I couldn't believe
who it happened with so I shrieked and my parents kept trying to look
over my shoulder.
Very awkward. but they didn't see.

#66 louisacook

louisacook

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, that has happened to me once...^^^

So embarrassing!

Anyway, I let one of my friends see 2 chapters of a story i was writing, and then she told her English teacher (who was my English teacher last year) about it. And I was soooo embarrassed.

Also, I printed out a chapter of my story one day, just before I had to go to school ,and i was in a rush so I left it on the dining room table. That day, after I got home from school, my mum was all "I loved your story, Louisa. Very good. And does your boyfriend look anything like the man in your story??"

As this particular chapter that she had read involved a lengthy description of the guy, it was very embarrassing. More so, because the main girl character talked for a few paragraphs how she wanted to kiss him and rip his clothes of...Awkward

And I usually use my mum's laptop for writing stories (seeing as I don't have my own), and then save them all on a USB memory stick, but one story I totally forgot to save it onto the memory stick so my mum read it. And it was only a chapter or something, but it was a total invasion of my privacy. i don't think I spoke to her for a day after that...

My parents invade my privacy SOO much...Ugh.

Sorry, that was a long rant!

:D

love

lulu xoxo :icon_queen:

#67 Cooper & Jesse Luver

Cooper & Jesse Luver

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:03 AM

My family knows I write, they don't know what I write.

I think I'd die if they ever read anything I wrote.

My best friend knows I write, I let her read a prologue of something I'm writing, that's it. She would totally tell people, and I'm enough of a reject already :) lol.

Meg

xoxo

#68 cablecarWish

cablecarWish

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

My sister knows I write stories. I think my mom does too... and my dad. I don't let them read any of my stories though because... well, I think it would be awkward.

I told 3 of my friends about my stories. Only 2 of them are pretty supportive. The other one makes me feel like I'm copying her 'thing' aka writing stories. Like, when I tell her about a new plot I'm thinking about she goes, "So?". It pisses me off so I don't update her anymore.

Anyway, back to family. When I was in... 2nd/3rd grade, I wrote short stories about mermaids and all that jazzy fantasy and I would let my grandma read 'em. But since 6th grade, I didn't let her read anything by me. Puberty, I suppose.

-CCW

#69 buffyrules13

buffyrules13

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, well, my parents know I write, but as for WHAT I write... my dad doesn't like me TALKNIG TO GUYS. I ALWAYS have kissing scenes in my stories, so, if they read it, it'd be purty awkward..

#70 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

haha. they know i write. some stuff i let them read but not really.

#71 ~*~Moonlight~*~

~*~Moonlight~*~

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

My parents know I write stories, I've read a few chapters to them, and they like it. However, after reading them a fan fiction story I realised never to read them a fan fic again, as they would make fun of it. And also if a mentioned a minor swear word then they wouldn't like it, so I have to keep the mature ones to myself, or just share them with friends.

-Michelle

xx

#72 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I don't let my parents know I write now. But I may let them read some of my stories when I'm 'old enough' to know about some of the things in my stories.
Honestly its all a 'been there done that' kind of situation but they don't know that!!

I'll let them read my stuff when I'm ready.
So maybe never!!

-Hayley

#73 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

How do you write or keep writing about something that is considered a little out of the ordinary or perhaps even controversial without feeling embrassed, or nervous of your family/friends reactions to the point that you wouldn't share or publish it?

Pft. I'm already the black sheep of the family. I'll never fit in with anything. If anyone from my family (including relatives) saw that I wrote as much about as two people holding hands and them blushing, they'd go, "What do YOU know anything about that? You're too young. You're a girl. That's wrong." lol. Well, whatever. I just write about whatever I like and they never have to know. I don't feel embarresed or anything. I've kind of built a protective wall around myself that tells me not to care what people think. Honestly, I'll get dirty looks from my family all my life (a fact) and it doesn't matter much to me anymore. I remember emailing my dad this part of my story once where everything was intense and rather rated R. He's been looking at me really weirdly ever since. Not weirdly in a funny way, but weirdly in a bad way. Although, on the other hand, he's been cool about it and not shown my mom. I would be DEAD if my mom ever read that.

As for my friends, they'd make FUN of me for writing about the kind of sex scenes I do. They go like, "Dude, where's the ACTION? What the *#&$%% IS this? "Fluttery kisses"? Are you insane?" lmfao So with them, I'm okay.

When I publish (if I publish) I'll write use a pen-name. I don't think I'd want that kind of publicity. I mean, I don't mind being the center of attention--as wrong as that sounds--but I think it's better to keep it that way. xDD

#74 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

my family knows that i'm writing but no one in my family's read it! this is probably because half of them speak another language!
my mum's been nagging me about it and she really wants to read it but i doubt i'll ever give it to her!

suze

#75 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:45 AM

A few friends know I write, mostly my online friends (Which I most of them met through writing).
But of my 'real life' friends, I sometimes mention it but they have never read my stuff.

And my parents... well, I guess they might know, but they have never read a word I have written if its not for school (like essays and such); but of my free-time, what-I-love-the-most-doing writing? They have never read any, nor they ever will. They just think it's something silly I do instead of doing homework. And they don't read English anyway so that's their ticket out.

My Sister Boo does understand English, but she doesn't like reading anything other than magazines, I've asked her to read my stuff some times, but she never does.

It's kind of sad, actually, but I learned to deal.

#76 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Not anymore I wrote a poem that was really depressing and my parents are all like do you feel this way

#77 Avalon-Princess

Avalon-Princess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

It completely depends on what I write. I showed one of my friends(before we stopped talking) my Fan-Fic that I have on here and now, he wants me to E-Mail him the updates, right when I write them. He is pretty much the only friend that I have shown my writing too. But now, we don't really talk because someone told him I liked him. So things are a little weird at the moment.
Sorry to vent about my personal life.
<3 Jak

#78 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

Its okay. I feel for you. I HATE THIS COMPUTER THE KEYBOARD DOES NOT WORK

#79 Avalon-Princess

Avalon-Princess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

Really, because my E key keeps on sticking on my keyboard.

<3 Jak

#80 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

ya this is the laptop and the space sticks. i am getting annoyed with it

#81 rockbuffy91

rockbuffy91

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

:icon_flower: i told my family and friend. my family support my write. some of friends laughed about it.

#82 lily_li14

lily_li14

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

Man, my parents haven't seen my writing in ages. I know they know I write (seeing as I do it pretty much 24 hours a day right in the middle of the living room, or else locked in my bedroom), but I haven't let them read much of anything since I was in like, the sixth grade.

It's not so much a privacy thing (I let my best friends and boyfriend read my stories from time to time) so much as it is not wanting to give myself away as being a dirty-minded, filthy-mouthed tart. My parents have never heard me swear in their lives, but not so much the case with my writing. I almost think they wouldn't be interested, either, since I write more for teens and such, and I'm half afraid they'd think it's immature or childish or whatever. Same sort of thing; I won this Harry Potter fanfiction contest back in 2005, and I was really excited but also too mortified to tell my parents, because I didn't want them to think I was a huge nerd for entering.

Of course I'm a huge nerd anyway, but still.

#83 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Lol. Me to they no the general idea of my stories but i don't like them reading them

#84 Forever Waiting

Forever Waiting

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

A few of my family members know I write (my brother, cousin and mum), and two of my friends, but hardly anyone has ever read my stuff. I just feel really embarrassed incase they think it's rubbish or whatever. I actually think it's easier to post stuff on here (though I still was really nervous about it), because the people who read it don't know you personally (unless you know them from outside), so you don't have to see them all the time and it's not as embarrassing. But maybe that's just me.

Love,

Lizey

#85 kristiskye

kristiskye

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

I haven't told my friends I write.
They know though. How else
do they explain me randomly
having a notebook out and writing?

I told my mom recently though.
She know's me enough to know
not to ask to read it though.

I haven't told my dad though.
Even though he used to be a
reporter!

Kristin-Skye

#86 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

My friends know I like writing, but I
snatch any of my stuff away from them.
Only two of my closest friends know
One I have known forever.

#87 _x_Jessica_x_

_x_Jessica_x_

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

A while ago my mum told my aunty that i was writing and then ever since she's been asking to read it and i kept giving her lame excuses like "i forgot my password" but she knew i was lying. In the end i showed her and she read all of it even with the kissing scenes and stuff that i'm embarrassed to show her, but she hasn't told my mum. Unfortunately her boyfriend read it as well :( i was so embarrassed, but they said it was good.

from now on i'm never telling my mum about any of my stories because next time she might tell my Grandma and then she'll want to read it.

Briie ♣

#88 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Well, my parents know that I write, but, with this latest story of mine I don't want to show them because i use the 'S' word, the 'C' word and the 'G' word. I talk to them about my story, though, saying stuff like 'yay! 23, 000 words!', but I'm reluctant to let them read it. Even though my dad really wants to read it.

Char
:m:

#89 writeaholic

writeaholic

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Well, my parents know that I write, but, with this latest story of mine I don't want to show them because i use the 'S' word, the 'C' word and the 'G' word. I talk to them about my story, though, saying stuff like 'yay! 23, 000 words!', but I'm reluctant to let them read it. Even though my dad really wants to read it.

Char
:m:

Ditto. My parents support my writing, and all, but they're kind of mad that I don't like sports all that much, except for track. They want me to "put off" my writing and try something that includes moving something besides my fingers. My dad REALLY wants to read my stories, but I'm all, "No freakin' way," because they have kissing and swearing. My dad would then think that I am dating behind his back and that I have actually kissed (ha! I wish).

~Maddy

#90 brown.eyed.goddess

brown.eyed.goddess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

My parents know that I write and everything, and some of my stories I let them read.
But not many, because they will not "approve" of some of the stuff in them.
So, yeah, I tell my family.

Ducky♥

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users