Photo

So...who tells their family?

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

Poll: So...who tells their family? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you tell your family that you write?

1. Yes, of course (40 votes [25.48%])

Percentage of vote: 25.48%

2. Only a few close family members (58 votes [36.94%])

Percentage of vote: 36.94%

3. No way! (59 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

I was just wondering if you guys tell your family exactly what you do during those hours and hours on the computer or locked in your room. ;)

Cause I've told my friends about my writing, but not my parents, for some reason. :unsure:

It's not that I'm afraid that they'll hate it.

But...I don't know. I feel bad for keeping such a major secret, but I can't tell my mom, who I'm really close to. I'm not really sure why. I WANT to tell her, really bad.

But when I try to, I just can't.

I really don't want her to ask to read my stuff, because it's personal, and I'm kind of afraid that if I do tell her, she'll log into the computer under my name (she knows my password <_< ) and look for herself.

I get the feeling that she already knows, or is on the verge of finding out.

Any advice?

Emily :icon_flower:

#2 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

They know I write, but no way in hell will they ever read what I write. Although, I stupidly (on accident) emailed my dad a part of my chapter with a like...major sex scene and cheesy lines and stuff. Oh, god. That was horrible. He called me the day after and he was like, "...So...why didn't you tell us that *clears throat* that you wrote so, ah, descriptively and well?" I wanted to die. Like literally. So, from experience, I know it's best not to. *shudders* My parents are so judgmental and strict that their own daughter can't allow them in her life. Well, whatever. Their fault.

I think I'm going off topic, but, yeah. I would never let them. Even if ever in the future get like something published, it would be a NIGHTMARE. Even if it's like a short story or a measly HAIKU, I couldn't.

#3 Azalea

Azalea

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

I never really thought much about whether I should tell my parents that during my time sitting at the computer and locking myself in my room on the laptop that I write. My mum knows that I write and she wants me to get something published, lol, but I'd never let her read it, lol. Some pretty... hmm... stuff in there I don't want her to read and know.

:P

My dad? Ah, he doesn't really care, lol. Which is good. No one knows my password, so I'm good. But you know, I'm closer to my mum than I am to my dad. I just let my mum know how I'm doing with my stories and what competition are going on like NaNoWriMo. So basically, she nags me to join and get published but I wouldn't let her read. It is so not her kind of story.

Azzy :m:

#4 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

They know I write, but no way in hell will they ever read what I write. Although, I stupidly (on accident) emailed my dad a part of my chapter with a like...major sex scene and cheesy lines and stuff. Oh, god. That was horrible. He called me the day after and he was like, "...So...why didn't you tell us that *clears throat* that you wrote so, ah, descriptively and well?" I wanted to die. Like literally. So, from experience, I know it's best not to. *shudders* My parents are so judgmental and strict that their own daughter can't allow them in her life. Well, whatever. Their fault.

Oh my gosh, Julia, that SUCKS.
How AWKWARD it that?!
I would die if my parents EVER read anything like that, although I find it hard to write sex scenes since I have never experienced sex myself and I plan to keep it that way until I'm married.
(Can anyone say goody goody two-shoes mormon girl? Haha)
But, yeah, my parents would freak out at even the minimal MENTIONS of sex that I write.
Because they believe that all teenagers are abstinent.
Um, no.
Haha.

I tell my parents I'm writing for English.
Technically I AM writing *in* English, just not for it.
Oh, I'm so bad. :P
Just kidding.

Jennie :happy8:

#5 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

My mum used to write when she was a kid, so its never really been a big deal. She's always been of the mind though that this is a hobby, she knows I want to eventually get published, but that will likely be after I've gotten my degree, a job, and honed my skill.

I don't really make a secret of it. Course, most people think I'm joking about being a writer, since I generally mention it in the same breath as my plot for world domination (why everyone thinks I'm joking about THAT I have no idea), but they get the picture pretty fast. I'm into a lot of strange stuff, and the people who know me accept that. Most of the time.

As for reading my stories. . . HELL NO. NO ONE who knows me as Sarah [insert last name here] has EVER read something that I wrote (that was not a school assignment)

#6 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

I told my friends, but not my parents.
My mum right out asked me if I ever wrote anything but I said no.
Simply because most of my stories are about things they don't even know have happened to me.
They're best off never knowing.

My friends love my stories, they've gone through it all with me so they understand better.

-Hayley

#7 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

I asked Meg Cabot about it and she said she never let her parents read it.
The board I posted is on the Ask Meg about her other books forum.

Jennie :happy8:

#8 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

I don't. Today the librarian gave us a lesson and they said that most kids my age don't sit down and write leisurely.
-xx Ash

#9 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

My parents know that I write.
I let them read what I write but not everything. ;)
In fact they don´t know my best stories because I just don´t want them to know that I write stuff like that.
I let my friends read them and they love them.

Love,

Kati :m:

#10 crouchingtiger18

crouchingtiger18

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

I used to let my mum read them, when I first started writing when I was eight, but back then they weren't wrote with as much feelings and description and stuff.

There is one that is going really well, called Charlie's Diary - I know, what an original name - and it has lot's of feeling and make out scenes...I'd curl up and die if my mum/dad/brother read it. All of my friends know I write, but only two of them have ever read anything by me.

Oh my god, Julia, that is SO sucky, I would have died.

I agree with Rain, if I was ever published, I would use a pen name.

My family knows that I spend so much time on the laptop because of writing, but they usually leave me to it. Thank god they don't ask to read it.

-AJ

#11 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

I think I'm going off topic, but, yeah. I would never let them. Even if ever in the future get like something published, it would be a NIGHTMARE. Even if it's like a short story or a measly HAIKU, I couldn't.

Sorry Jules, but that sounds SOOO hilarious! :)

Heck no! They know I wrote a story for NaNoWriMo. But when they ask, I just say its about a girl and her life.

Then, I shrug and walk off as quickly as I can :P

Luurve, Ami . . X

#12 hockeyfan

hockeyfan

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'll never tell my parents that I write.
Mostly for the fact that they will then want to read it and I don't want them to.
Pretty much, they would never understand.
So what do they think that I do on the computer for over ten hours a day?
Playing a VERY HARD AND CONFUSING computer game that I will NEVER finish, of course. ;)

-sarah ^_^

#13 Pinkfirefly

Pinkfirefly

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

I tell my two best friends and my sister,I even let them read whatever story(s) im writing at the time,they never do and im not sure if I should be offended or glad about that...hmm.I made the mistake of telling my mam I was doing NaNoWriMo,and she wanted to read it.There nothing in it no cursing,kissing (Okay maybe there's kissing-actually no there no kissing as of yet,but there will be at least one kiss,I think) nada,zip nothing she would disapprove of.But I just don't want her to read it.Oh and I told my dad and,and he was much more understanding 'Thats nice pet,good luck chick" He didn't even think of asking to read it.

So I never mind telling my friends,because-even though one of them never has A book out of her hand-they never normally want to read it.But I am never,ever telling my parents im writing A story ever ever (ever) again.

#14 Mediator17

Mediator17

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

My parents know I write - they knew about NaNo and even about what my story was about, and were fairly supportive, but that's the farthest I'll go. I won't let them actually READ any of it.

I've shown a ton of my stuff to both of my best friends, and they're awesome about it.

#15 Singerchick 14

Singerchick 14

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

Considering my first story, a TT with Emily (~BookNerd~), was just posted like 5 minutes ago... lol my parents still unfortunately know that i write! My mom was like so what's with all the kissing stuff on your story cover?! hmm... and I was like "it's not about that," *wink* "it's only once at like the very last chapter!" And now I will absolutly refuse to let her or any family member read my story!!! Cause my mom and step-dad and dads believe I know nothing about kissing or anything else having to do with a realtionship! it's like... mom u signed the Health form for Health class last year! u should know i know everything!!!!!!!!! lol i mean COME ON! anyways i'm off topic sortof! off to do stuff! talk to you lata guys!

#16 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

^^Haha, Abby, I've managed to keep my family from seeing that binder, fortunately. I shudder to think what my parents (my Dad especially) would say if they saw it!

#17 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

They've known I write, I don't let them read though.

#18 Singerchick 14

Singerchick 14

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

lol yea... Unfortunately Emmeth I havn't been as lucky in the catergory of keeping my parents in the dark about our story!!!! Speaking of that... everyone check out our story! It's awesome I think! :P

You can go to Em's page and then click on Letters Long Unread! I don't have time to insert link! srry guys but i'm sure Emily will do it eventually! lol :icon_biggrin: (Emily that't the hint to insert the link... tehe)

Off to diner with me padre!

Talk to you later guys!!!!!

~Abby!!! :020:

#19 Singerchick 14

Singerchick 14

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Letters Long Unread

lol Guess i do have time! Your off the hook Emmeth! got to go now!!!! c ya!

~Abby!!! :020:

#20 Softballie

Softballie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

I've yet to tell my parents a thing about my writing. I've gotten them to buy me a flashdrive, where I store my stories and I take it to school with me. I wear it around my neck.

I'd rather them not know, then they'd want to read it...and I don't know how'd they react.

-Em

#21 ~AllAmericanGirl~

~AllAmericanGirl~

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Okay...all my friends know that I write but my mommy and daddy have yet to find out. I mean they know that I am a good writer because I have to write esays for school and they all come back with A++'s on them but they don't bother to read them... lol

My sister...My sister dosn't know that I write, she thinks that I hate to...And even if she did know that I could write I would never ever let her read any of my stuff becasue she is one of the best writers I have ever met in my life. She is amazing...

My friends hate reading, and writeing and anything else that has to do with english, and so even though they know that I write the have never read any of it... Thank God! I don't like to see peoples faces when I let people read my stuff, that is how I am so comfortable with posting my stuff on here. I can't see you guys' faces. :]]

I think my mom would freak if she read anything I wrote. A lot of it has sex scenes and major make outs and a lot of my characters get pregnant...so yeah...lol. I also write a lot about gay guys and even though my mom isn't homophobic she wouldn't like that I write about them... yeah lol.

So yeah I have yet to tell my parents I write and that I even have a thing on here. lol. They are clueless to what I do in my mere 10 minutes of spare time in my day...

je t'aime
jessie

#22 noodles

noodles

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

haha pft. My parents think I'm studing physics or doing some extra credit ap lit essay whenever I write

-nhu

#23 xPeace.Love.Happinessx

xPeace.Love.Happinessx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

I would never tell my parents I write!!!

My mom knows I can write I mean I have her check over some school essays and stuff, but none of my actual stories.

She would probably give me all this criticism because she can write very well...I mean INSANELY well. I read some of her high school essays.

Plus, I just don't like sharing things a lot and my writing is one of those things I don't really feel like sharing with my mother or my father.

XOXO,
Penny Lane

#24 NeverBefore

NeverBefore

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Well, I don't let them read it anymore, but I can't keep it a secret. I'm always writing. They know I need to write just as much as I need air.

#25 debsquared

debsquared

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:08 AM

I write a lot.

And my parents know that. But they know I'd never let them read my stuff. I dunno, I just find it embarrassing to let someone close to me read the things I write.

#26 takari28

takari28

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

My parents know I write, they just don't know what I write about. Of course I'll never tell them, and if they want to know they'll just have to wait until I moved out, and publish my books.

#27 SJSparrow

SJSparrow

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

I have stepped out from the shadows of lurkdom, and have decided to hang out on the forums for a while. Since the topic is about writing and to whom you would show your work(s) to, I would like to pose another angle:

How do you write or keep writing about something that is considered a little out of the ordinary or perhaps even controversial without feeling embrassed, or nervous of your family/friends reactions to the point that you wouldn't share or publish it?

I have a few relatives and friends with somewhat conservative or religious viewpoints, and I do worry that about their reactions sometimes, even if the work was set in a historical or contemporary time; was fictional or was (or somewhat) non-fictional. I consider to be myself a fairly open-minded person but can be quite shy at times. These are some scenarios that I've come up with (which some of I've thought about writing, others I have heard about that were a little similar to what I've included).

For example(s): Someone knows a passionate supporter of the Bush admin. and/or has relatives in the military, but wants to write about (fictional or non-fictional) story a young person who decides they don't agree with the war but they support the troops. Or a plot about a person overseas experiencing the effects of war.

A story with a fairly mild PG love scene or has dialogue with some language such as the D-word (Damn), the S-word, or Hell.

Another example: (Could be comedic or dramatic) Someone features a level-headed character who unexpectedly develops a crush on a family friend or perhaps a cousin. (Cousins marrying were common in the mid 1800s, early 19th century in Europe outside of the royal families and arranged marriages. Today is considered a little taboo but not illegal in most parts of the world).

A straight person with a gay friend.

A Spy Thriller.

I have thought about a pen name, but at same time would want to be acknowedged for my own work; I also wouldn't want to be viewed as being ashamed about a story that I actually think is important.

What do you think?

Sincerely,

SJSparrow

#28 SJSparrow

SJSparrow

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Sorry, for any typos. I have an add-on to the question.

Add-on:*Or wouldn't write the story?

SJSparrow

#29 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

I don't usually share my writing with my family or friends, but I do see your point. If I ever publish a novel, I would like to point it out to my family, friends and all those people who doubted I would ever make it, and tell them "Ha! Look at that. Its MINE", and so forth. Even though I am planning to use a pen name should I ever be published (I have an unusual last name, and dreams of a professional life)

I suppose for the first part, hide what you're embarrassed of. Buy a locked box or safe, and a separate usb drive thingie. Secondly, should anyone read it, just tell them that it's the character talking, not you. Just because you created them, doesn't mean that they have the same identity as you. Your parents created you (trust me, it wasn't the stork) and you're not a carbon copy of them. I have always found characters to be completely separate entities from me. Their own person, with the only exception that they don't exist. Look at all those people on here who write stories where a character is an assassin or something. It doesn't mean that the writer is going to kill anyone, or even wants to. It's a story, FICTION.

You would not believe the amount of times that i have had to tell people that while I might enjoy writing about ghosts and werewolves (and werecats) I do not actually believe that any of this exists. It's just fun to explore the possibility.

I suppose, what I'm trying to say is that write it anyway, pubish it, and should anyone have any questions, just say that you thought it sounded interesting. It's unlikely anyone is going to disown you for it.

#30 a_kiwi_for_your_thoughts

a_kiwi_for_your_thoughts

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

lol. i have told my mom. but my dad. -shudders- no way. i think he knows but he would think it was a waste of time. he hates this website. my mom thinks its good. my dad thinks it keeps me from my homework

Kiwi: -laughs and types on MCMB-
Dad:"Kiwi. are you on meg cabbage AGAIN. GET OFF! NOW!"
Kiwi: closes window

and yes he says meg cabbage. hes always insulting her. it makes me mad.

once he read what i was writing. or he asks what im doing if im lookin at pictures on here. hes so invasive it makes me angry.

im not sure i would want him to read my stuff. its not good enough for him. lol

I don't usually share my writing with my family or friends, but I do see your point. If I ever publish a novel, I would like to point it out to my family, friends and all those people who doubted I would ever make it, and tell them "Ha! Look at that. Its MINE", and so forth. Even though I am planning to use a pen name should I ever be published (I have an unusual last name, and dreams of a professional life)

hahahahahaahah. thats funny sarah. totally see your point there. i know a person on here. so i talk about it with her. but thats it. no one else. i think they would think its weird. and my friends work is better so i dont really ask her to read all my stuff.

lol. you know this thread is great emily!

<3

~ :mgturtle: Kiwi :mgturtle: ~

PS its like the rant thread but better

#31 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

^Thanks Kiwi!

I started it because I'm too chicken to tell my parents that I write, and I wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. :blush:

Now I know I'm not alone, lmao. :lol:

#32 Ft_Louie_Lvr

Ft_Louie_Lvr

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

Psh. My parents have no idea I like to write. Neither do my friends. Well, my best friend knows, but it's not like we talk about it, or I let her read my stuff or anything.

I'm not really sure why I haven't told my parents. I know my mom would be really critical and want to read my stories which, you know, I'd rather die. But my dad, on the other hand, would be totally suppotive, because he writes as a hobby, too. So...I really don't know why I haven't told him. I'm just terrified that one of these days I'll tell someone, and they'll read on of my stories and then laugh at me. You know, in the ha-ha-if-this-is-your-goal-in-life-you're-going-to-end-up-like-one-of-those-hobos-who-get-busted-for-sleeping-in-the-school-parking-lot way, not the wow-I'm-impressed-by-your-delightful-with kind of way. So, I just prefer to keep it to myself.

#33 Guest_bag_of_sweets_*

Guest_bag_of_sweets_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

My family knows that I write for the school paper but they don't know that I really write stories.

All they know is that I write news and such.

I just don't feel like telling them because if I did, they would barge in and ask me to let them read it.

And if I did let them read it, they might ask me to remove some parts they didn't like.

Like my parents for instance, they don't want me seeing any kissing scenes on TV or on the movies.

What more if I let them read my stories.

They would totally ground me.

:mgicecream: mj

#34 Princess_In_Waiting

Princess_In_Waiting

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

Well, my mom read an essay once and she told me I could be a writer. xD

My brother tells me I suck at it though, but eh. What does he care?

Roz

#35 ace_3810

ace_3810

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

My family knows that I write for the school paper but they don't know that I really write stories.

All they know is that I write news and such.

I just don't feel like telling them because if I did, they would barge in and ask me to let them read it.

And if I did let them read it, they might ask me to remove some parts they didn't like.

Like my parents for instance, they don't want me seeing any kissing scenes on TV or on the movies.

What more if I let them read my stories.

They would totally ground me.

:mgicecream: mj

Ground you for writing? I think that is a little harsh.
You're expressing yourself. What is wrong with that.

People know I write, they just don't know what I write. My sister figured it out after seeing word open on my laptop during breaks. Plus, the other day she found my baby names book and asked me what it was for. Character names was all I said.

My parents I don't have a clue. My roommates all pretty much know cause they've seen my writing in word yet they have never read it.

No one really cares and those who do think it is pretty cool.

ALEX

#36 writeaholic

writeaholic

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

ugh . . . that would totally suck! my parents know i write, but no way would i ever show them my writing. never, never, never, never would i let them read my writing!

#37 writeaholic

writeaholic

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

My parents know I write, they just don't know what I write about. Of course I'll never tell them, and if they want to know they'll just have to wait until I moved out, and publish my books.

ditto

#38 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

I really don't want her to ask to read my stuff, because it's personal, and I'm kind of afraid that if I do tell her, she'll log into the computer under my name (she knows my password <_< ) and look for herself.

Any advice?

Well Emmy, all I can say is, can't you change your password, that helps.
And if she is on the verge to find out it would be a good thing, hope fully she is like my mom and has respect for my privacy and doesn't go into my things.

I never really thought much about whether I should tell my parents that during my time sitting at the computer and locking myself in my room on the laptop that I write. My mum knows that I write and she wants me to get something published, lol, but I'd never let her read it, lol. Some pretty... hmm... stuff in there I don't want her to read and know.
:P
Azzy :m:

Yeah same here, although both my parents know I am writing stories. It helps them to understand why they find me typing so much and they encourage me to do it. But they don't read what I write. I would love to show it to my mom but like Azzy said

Some pretty... hmm... stuff in there I don't want her to read and know.

Exactly and probably like Julia's parents my mom would freak if she read some guy's muscular descriptions or kissing scenes. I don't write about sex, mainly cause it's hard for me to imagine what it's like since I never have experianced it. I am strictly going to save myself for when I get married.

So yeah, Emmy, I hope I could help you out some.

Cerra

#39 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

Well Emmy

*glares*

Well Emmy, all I can say is, can't you change your password, that helps.
And if she is on the verge to find out it would be a good thing, hope fully she is like my mom and has respect for my privacy and doesn't go into my things.

I changed my password, and I feel a lot better, but... I don't know. In her history of pages you've been on on the Internet (I was standing there while we were doing something on the computer) I saw here (which I REALLY don't want her to see), and MySpace (I don't have one, so HA!). Otherwise I'd think she'd respect my privacy, but now I'm not so sure...

#40 jessinia

jessinia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

The only person in my family that actually KNOWS what I write is my uncle. The rest of my family kind of discovered that I was writing when they were all, 'Where is all the notebook paper in this house diappearing to...?" But no one in my house cares. It sucks. Only one people out of my family have actually read anything I've written, and that's said uncle. He's awesome. Two of my friends read my stories and one edits them.

Jess the Shocker :blink:

#41 Em

Em

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

My parents and friends know that I write, but I never show them anything I've written. They know I like it, but I don't think they realise quite how much - which is A LOT. I especially don't mention that I write a fair bit of fan fiction, because they'd probably just find that weird. Why write a book when it's already been written? They just wouldnt get it.

But it's fun this way - makes it more personal and is like my little guilty pleasure :happy8:

#42 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:37 AM

*glares*

Whoops :icon_lol: :icon_redface:
Did I call you Emmy?

*back check*

Oh yeah, hehe :icon_lol: sorry bout that, I didn't notice.
won't happen again.
I have an MS too, but I keep it a secret or else I'll be in big trouble-wubble.

-Cerra

#43 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Pfffttt. I'm not very close to my family, so I don't think I'd tell the specifics of what I write. But they do know I write; there's some inferrence as to why I have a million documents on MS Word, flashdrives, and spend most of my free time writing.

#44 Junkteen

Junkteen

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

I wouldn't dare let on that I do anything of the kind. They would either want to read it or mock it.

#45 NeverForever

NeverForever

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

i dont care if my family knows that im writing, but i do care if my parents read my stories. i mean would you really want your mom to know that you write things that they dont think means anything. my parents probably think my writing is worthless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users