Photo

You know you're a writer when. . . (II)

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

Poll: So how many of these things have you done? (180 member(s) have cast votes)

A couple. . . I'm not THAT strange

1. WAY more than one (35 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. About half (29 votes [15.93%])

Percentage of vote: 15.93%

3. These people are PSYCHIC i tell you. I do them all! (118 votes [64.84%])

Percentage of vote: 64.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Ft_Louie_Lvr

Ft_Louie_Lvr

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

You know you're a writer when you're paranoid about people hacking into your files and instead save them on a USB drive.

lol it's good to know I'm not the only person who does this

You know you're a writer when,

-you never seem to be able to finish a story because as soon as you've started one, you get a new and better idea and promptly abandon the first one
-a part of you hates it when your teachers give you creative writing assignments because they take time away from whatever story your currently working on
-you get the best grade in your class on an essay and are still mad because you only got a B

#92 Very_Moody_Ryter

Very_Moody_Ryter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

-you write a story, then leave it on hiatus, only to return to it and lament on how much it "sucks'... You promptly go to editing the story within an inch of its life, so much that it hardly seems like the same one.

#93 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

^Oh, yes.

You know you're a writer when you have a story for NaNoWriMo. And you've got the whole plot planned out, one hundred percent ready, just waiting for November. But then you realize that every character you ever write has a J name, and this bothers you so much that you have to scrap it and make a WHOLE NEW PLOT.

And you don't just change the name of the character, because you can't. That's his name. Nothing else works.

Love,
Gracey :elmo:

#94 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

^All of your male characters do have J names.

And I understand the part about not being able to change his (or her) name.

Emily :icon_flower:

#95 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

You literally start crying when you finish your novel, and you're both proud and sad at the same time.

~Maggie

#96 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

You know you're a writer when...

- You play the same song over and over again, trying to get into the right mood to write. And then people yell at you because they start hating the song way before you do.

Kat :spinstar:

#97 PicturesqueEpiphany

PicturesqueEpiphany

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

You know you're a writer when....
♥ When your english teacher asks you to submit a draft copy you have to make two - the first one was your real draft and the second was the draft which you had to edit so it had mistakes in it. You submit the second.

Love Jade :icon_sunny:

Yo no entiendo! (I don't understand) It's the complete opposite for me. My first drafts are never ever ever without mistakes. So I never have to put in mistakes. I mean no one's perfect right?

You know you're a writer when

- In the first week of your AP English class you dissected a sentence down to the word (what it means, why that word in particular was used, etc.) and you enjoyed that.

- You're participating in NaNoWriMo

- You've got about ten different stories you're working on

- When your idly searching through the list of documents saved on your computer you find oddly titled documents, open them, and find old story beginnings you forgot you even wrote down

- Your main story is like your baby - you won't let anyone near it

- You want critcism, how else will you improve?

#98 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

- When your idly searching through the list of documents saved on your computer you find oddly titled documents, open them, and find old story beginnings you forgot you even wrote down

LOL. That is sooo me.

I have a document for story beginnings, clips, and random things I've written, as well. :P Its kind of funny to look at...

#99 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

- You get inspiration at really inconveniant times. Like when you're trying to go to sleep. You've tried and tried to leave a pen and some paper by your bed, but whenever its there you don't get inspiration. And when you lose the paper and pen, you suddenly have inspiration again. It is like a curse.

Something like that, anyway...

It just happened to me. At 11:03 PM, I was minding my own business, trying to get to sleep... and suddenly an awesome idea hit me.

It really, really sucked. I'm tired, you know? I'd like inspiration when I'm actually writing, not when I just want to conk out.

But then life would be fair. And it isn't.

#100 sarahchick

sarahchick

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

-you never seem to be able to finish a story because as soon as you've started one, you get a new and better idea and promptly abandon the first one

That fits me to the T. As soon I start writing I always have new ideas, but I find its easier that you just jot down your new ideas and concentrate on the novel you have already started otherwise it never gets finished.

#101 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

^All of your male characters do have J names.

And I understand the part about not being able to change his (or her) name.

Isn't it awful? Jason, Joshua, Jeremy, Jeff, Jake...

ewew

- In the first week of your AP English class you dissected a sentence down to the word (what it means, why that word in particular was used, etc.) and you enjoyed that.

All me.

Love,

#102 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

You know your a writer when...

-There's a story in the back of every school notebook you own.

-You wake up in the morning exclaiming, "I wonder how long it will be until my dream is published and made into a major motion picture!"

-You make friends with book characters.

#103 hypahgirl

hypahgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

-You wake up in the morning exclaiming, "I wonder how long it will be until my dream is published and made into a major motion picture!"

#104 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

-The fact that you cannot think of an ending to your current plot KILLS YOU.

#105 Softballie

Softballie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

- You pick out grammatical mistakes in textbooks.

-You pick out mistakes in songs.

-You pick out the climax in movies.

-Em

#106 XxEmpyreanxX

XxEmpyreanxX

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

*You have a playlist called "Writing Music".

#107 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

You know you're a writer when you considered asking your teacher for extra credit in pointing out his misspelling of "mandatory" on the board...

#108 sammyz

sammyz

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

^lol.
You know you're a writer when you enter competitions and when your family/friends ask you what the prize is you realise you have no idea.
Sammy :P
This thread is cool. Funny. And so so true.

#109 sammyz

sammyz

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

You guys have got me started now.

You know you're a writer when:

You have a cold and bright lights hurt your eyes but you still get up and sit on the computer with your nosing leaking and write out your idea or next chapter.

When somebody (parents) are shouting at you and all you can think of is, you can use that in your story.
*Not that I do that or anything mother. I am 100% focused on the words that come out of your mouth*

#110 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

This is so not me.

I have a different playlist for each story.

:blink:

Love,

#111 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

This is so not me.

I have a different playlist for each story.

Love,

Me too.

And they're just initals, like BIDHM.

Or PMFWIW.

Or DRI...

~Maggie

#112 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

You get kind of weird when one of your friends announces they're going to write a story...you're the writer of your friends, not them!

You want a laptop for the holidays more than anything else (unless you already have one, lucky people :P )

My mum says she won't get me a laptop:(

*You correct bad grammar on writings on desks such as 'Ali wuzzz here!!!'. Dude, either write WAS or don't write it at all! And are all the extra exclamations REALLY necessary, people?

I do this all the time. Once I was fixing something and the teacher told me to stop writing on the desk, I just shouted to her asking would I write like that??!

-You subscribe to this thread so that you know the exact moment someone else gives their two cents.

Could just be me. LOL.

Guilty *Hangs head in shame* I love reading these

So many of these are so me! I was going to quote all the ones I fit in with but that took up WAY too much space.

-You have a whole folder full of future book ideas that you'll probably never use
-You have an order in which you will finish the books you've started
-When one of your crushes was talking to you about the book you want to write for the NaNoWriMo, he thinks the main character is his co-worker that everyone, including this person thinks you have a crush on and that the other boy is him, you blush furiously and I say "No! I DO NOT LIKE HIM!" even though you do. (Yeah, that one is so just me.)

ALL ME!!

#113 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

lol it's good to know I'm not the only person who does this

You know you're a writer when,

-a part of you hates it when your teachers give you creative writing assignments because they take time away from whatever story your currently working on
-you get the best grade in your class on an essay and are still mad because you only got a B

The last one especially, why can't she realise how talented I am??

Yo no entiendo! (I don't understand) It's the complete opposite for me. My first drafts are never ever ever without mistakes. So I never have to put in mistakes. I mean no one's perfect right?

You know you're a writer when

- You've got about ten different stories you're working on

I won't let anyone see the plan for my main story.

I dream everynight about when I'm going to be published....and how I'll never have to do that Law Course.

-Em

I point out stuff to my teachers all the time. They hate me for it.

I thought it was weird for me to do that. It probably is weird, but we all do it anyway!

You guys have got me started now.

You have a cold and bright lights hurt your eyes but you still get up and sit on the computer with your nosing leaking and write out your idea or next chapter.

When somebody (parents) are shouting at you and all you can think of is, you can use that in your story.
*Not that I do that or anything mother. I am 100% focused on the words that come out of your mouth*

I'm sick and I'm on this thing. What am I like?

#114 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

My mum says she won't get me a laptop:(

I just gave up and bought one for myself. Took all my money, but it was worth it.

Love,

#115 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

You know you're a writer when you are very frustrated that no one can read what you've written, because you're vocabulary's too extensive.

I got that on my English paper's peer review. >.<

#116 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

-Em

And books. And newspapers.

:P

#117 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

I just gave up and bought one for myself. Took all my money, but it was worth it.

Love,

I would, even though I share a great computer with my sister, but I'm saving for university. I guess I'll have to wait until I become a successful author *sighs*

I'm going to write a letter to my mum about it. She always enjoys my letters, but she still hasn't got me that dog...

I'll write in the letter:

How will I become a published author if I have limited access to the computer? Then how will I send you off on a cruise when you're 60?

#118 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

^^Plus she says she can’t trust me on the internet! It was 4 years ago, mother dearest.

#119 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

Me, especially the last two!

Love,

I'd do that, but I don't have the money at the moment...my iPod died this summer, so I had to replace it, because I simply can't live without music. :(

You know you're a writer when you are very frustrated that no one can read what you've written, because you're vocabulary's too extensive.

I got that on my English paper's peer review. >.<

Ha! And I thought that was just me!

I made my friend Ben read the short story I wrote for English in front of the class because I was too shy to do it myself, and he didn't know how to pronounce "inebriated"! And he's one of the smartest people I know!

And then the girl who sits in front of me turned around and glared at me after i told him how to pronounce it!

The worst part is that that's the highest level English class you can take as a freshman in my school.

#120 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

Inebriated? That's not a hard word, either!

Silly people. Yeah, I used 'abysmal' when talking to my guidance counselor and he was like, "I have never heard a student use that word in casual conversation before."

teehee

Love,

#121 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

:spinstar: You hate your laptop. I know everyone wishes they had one, but I have one and it's old. The stupid mouse moves all the time and i accidently erase something or start writing somewhere else because it's STUPID!

:spinstar: You and your best friend (who happens to write too, just not as well as you feel you do) are the only ones that have read your story.

:spinstar: You have several people lined up to edit your story, including your author best friend and your other really good friend who loves to read.

:spinstar: You. Can't. STAND. Incorrect. Spelling. Or Grammar.
No, really. You can't.

Jennie :happy8:

#122 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

Lol they're funny.

#123 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

Love,

That's what I ended up doing. Granted, its a really crappy one, but it gets the job done. I got in on amazon from a seller for about 300 dollars. But then the power cord broke the day I bought it... so I had to buy another one.

But whatever. It was worth it. I've had it since about March of this year and so far it hasn't crashed or anything....

#124 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

:spinstar: You haven't eaten for a day because all you can think about is writing your story.

Happens to me quite often, sadly.

Jennie :happy8:

#125 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

You don't like it when people you know (not on here, obvoiusly) write, because YOU'RE the writer of the group.

You put on your glasses to work on your NaNo even though your eye is burning from soap-like-thing in it.

Love,

#126 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

When you know every major publisher's name.
-xx Ash

#127 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

- On any given day, the following things may be on or near your writing desk (selected radomly from my own desk):

1. Band Aids
2. Unopened Package of Pencils
3. Neosporin
4. Lip Balm
5. Deoderant
6. Hair Brush(es)
7. 18 Sharpened Pencils
8. 10 Colored Pencils
9. 25 Ballpoint Pens
10. 8 Red Pens
11. 9 Mechanical Pencils
12. 4 Assorted Other Pens
13. Worn Paperback of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
14. Hat
15. Mardi Gras Beads
16. 19 Miniature Stuffed Animals (Moral Support)
17. USB Port Splitter
18. Digital Camera
19. 8 Empty Soda Cans
20. Dead Dry Erase Marker
21. Audio Casette
22. Yoga Jane Bender
23. 4 Hair Ties
24. Note Cards
25. 9 Post It Notes Pads
26. Audio CDs for Harry Potter Books 2-6
27. AA Batteries
28. Paper Weight
29. Package of 100 Twisty Paper Clips
30. 2 2006 Calanders
31. Changing Color Flashlight
32. Package Lined College Ruled Notepaper
33. Et Cetera

Agreed I don't have band aids anymore.

So true.

You know you're a writer when you're paranoid about people hacking into your files and instead save them on a USB drive.

I have 3 USB drives, so I never save any of my writing on my comp, evenif I am the only one that uses it.
-xx Ash

#128 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

I don't mind friends of mine writing so much as I mind people who have taken their first crack at writing handing it to me and asking "So what do you think." Because most of the people I know want me to say "I love it. It's perfect. You should TOTALLY be a writer," whereas I generally say what I want someone to say to me. "Well, I think that if you dropped this paragraph, split up these two sentences, and merged these two characters into one you would have a MUCH better story."

Why is it that friends never seem to understand I'm TRYING TO HELP!! *headdesk*

I know it's been said before but really:
You know you're a writer when you LOATHE CHATSPEAK!!!(die chatspeak die!!)

#129 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Yes! We must kill it!

*runs to get pitchfork*

Chatspeak scares me.

-You have characters who hate chatspeak, too.

I actually do. One of my characters somewhere keeps complaining about it. Ha ha.

#130 flip_purple_14

flip_purple_14

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

[quote name='Hokey Pokey' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:40 PM' post='1950883']
[color=#2E8B57][size=1][font=Tahoma]Lol, I love this topic.

You know y--When you have to edit a paper for someone in your English class, and you have to resist the urge to cross out every little thing and rewrite the entire story.

tHIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY TRUE ..I DO THAT ALL THE TIME...I MEAN I DONT do IT BUT I HAVE THE URGE SOOOOOO BAD...!!!!!!!!!!!

#131 suzejesse.<3

suzejesse.<3

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

I know it's been said before but really:
You know you're a writer when you LOATHE CHATSPEAK!!!(die chatspeak die!!)

Chatspeak= hate. Seriously. How hard is it to write out the entire word. It takes two seconds to add the 'y' and 'o' to make the word 'you'.

I'm the only one of my friends who actually speaks in proper English, with capitals and everything.

Anyway, you know you're a writer when you say the word 'valiant' and all your friends stare at you like you're speaking pig Latin.

Yes it has happened to me. Conversation:

Me: It was very valiant of you to do that [joking around about something my friend did]
[cue laughter]
A: [after laughing is finished] I love how Hayley knows all these words that we don't, and when she uses them in sentences, we have no idea what she's saying, so we just laugh to try to cover our unknowing-ness of the word.

Hayley.<3

#132 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

Just my situation.

Only with words such as 'multipurpose.'

And I'm all: "Excuse me?! You don't know what multipurpose means?"

That was a bit odd.

As with 'famine' and 'copious.'

#133 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

You don't like it when people you know (not on here, obvoiusly) write, because YOU'RE the writer of the group.

You put on your glasses to work on your NaNo even though your eye is burning from soap-like-thing in it.

Love,

Most definitely. Psh. Even if no one (except for a few VERY close friends) knows it.

Just my situation.

Only with words such as 'multipurpose.'

And I'm all: "Excuse me?! You don't know what multipurpose means?"

That was a bit odd.

As with 'famine' and 'copious.'

Oh, yeah. Gah. Adding onto that:

~You're helping a girl two years above you with her vocabulary homework, and all you can think about is how easy it is.

~The rest of your class is surprised when you use the word 'Assimilate', while you are busy being surprised that they don't even know what it MEANS. And they're in Advanced English...

~It irritates you that the self-professed "writer" in one of your classes has never written anything that resembles a novel or novella. When asked how many words are in a novel, she guesses 1,000. You tell her it's 50,000, and her next response is: 'Oh. Well, how hard can it be?'

<_<

#134 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

You know you are a writer when:
~When your best friend says that she is going to write a novel and she gives you a summary and lets you read the first chapter and you tell the truth and ask why does everyone have to write a novel after I do?
~ You hate it when you meet someone with the same name as your MC meets you and completely makes you have to change the MC's name because of how un- {Insert MC name here} she/ he is.
~You spend hours on PostSecret looking for a plot when tired.

Yesterday my friend CC said that she is writing a novel. She calls herself the grammar police, and asked me what I thought of the story and I told her flatout that it all seems unrealistically sexy, nothing was clear and her grammar was attrocious and with a little cleanup it'd be fabulous.
I know it sounds harsh but it is the truth and I told her. "It asphyxiates the plot." I helped her clean it up a little and then she thanked me and told me I was the author and her writing sucks, you tell her it rocks.

I know I sound harsh, but yeah...
-xx Ash

#135 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

You know you're a writer when you know exactly how many words you have to write in actuality to have a five page, double-spaced paper in the end...and everyone wants to know how you come about such information.

You know you're a writer when you harbour intense enmity towards other so-called "writers" (who are at least two years older) in the school, when they can't even use "who", "whose", "whom", and "which" properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users