Photo

You know you're a writer when. . . (II)

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

Poll: So how many of these things have you done? (180 member(s) have cast votes)

A couple. . . I'm not THAT strange

1. WAY more than one (35 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. About half (29 votes [15.93%])

Percentage of vote: 15.93%

3. These people are PSYCHIC i tell you. I do them all! (118 votes [64.84%])

Percentage of vote: 64.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

You know you're a writer when:

:spinstar: You HATE spell check, because half your characters names don't appear as correct and you hate seeing a bunch of red squiggly lines all over your beautiful story.
:spinstar: You've made up a word before.
:spinstar: You listen to songs and create music videos in your head. Ones with story lines, usually pertaining somehow to you and your crush getting together.
:spinstar: You think of songs as stories and that they relate to your life completely.
:spinstar: You hate the term "writer", because everyone writes. You are an author!!!
:spinstar: You use the thesaurus in Microsoft Word when you can't think of just the right word.
:spinstar: You hate chatspeak.
:spinstar: You also can't stand when people don't pronounce their words properly, just like you would read them in a story. (EX: Our pronounced as "arrrre".) (Maybe that's just me, but I can't STAND it!)

Jennie :happy8:

#47 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

You hate doing writing assignments for English class because the teacher adds so many dang rules.--You get in trouble for constantly writing too much for essays. (I mean, who ever heard of a ten page limit????)
You hate when a red line appears under your character's name
!

oh my god that happens so much. Once I had to write a 1-2 page story about bullying. After many attempts, I realised that I didn't like the plot line so changed it into a normal teen drama...that was 14 pages long. And the witch goes crazy because I write to much. Like hello...it is English!i hate that, and when you make up places that happens too

--You notice in some books that all the characters speak using perfect grammar (even the uneducated ones) and it annoys you to death.

YES! how is it going to be believable if they talk in proper english?

The shelves of your bookcase are sagging, and are threatening to break at any time. (My mom has now started to avoid that side of my room, saying that she doesn't want to die by having my collection of books crush her)--You think up this great hidden meaning, and are mad when your friends don't catch it when they're reading

.Many a time I have got REALLY hurt because of falling books With me at the moment it's an anagram, I think it's wonderful and am thinking"they're never going to get it, HA!" and when they don't I say how clever it was and shout at them for being idiots

You put off writing your story for English class because you're too busy writing your OWN story.

Yeah, I should really get round to that

When you get paired with a partner for a project that requires an essay, you offer to write the entire essay because you can't help but cringe when you read what they wrote --When you randomly ask your friends what a good name would be, they don't even ask you "why?" anymore

Guilty as charged basically yeah, if I'm paired with a new partner and they come in with an outline, I just look at them kindly and say"what the heck is this?

--You're writing at your computer and you REALLY have to go to the bathroom, but you would rather hold it then leave your story.

happened to me earlier, in religion, when i was supposed to be reading a story(I asked to go to the bathroom and she said if I read out of the book I could, but I didnt hear her properly and thought she meant listen to the story, and was sitting for like 5 minutes writing while everyone was confused)

--You're almost asleep when suddenly you get an idea for a story; then you're wide a wake for hours thinking about the whole plot line.

I HATE when this happens(not the inspiration part) I'm on a completely different sleeping pattern to the sun

--When you have to edit a paper for someone in your English class, and you have to resist the urge to cross out every little thing and rewrite the entire story.

It was actually for religion, and my friend asked me to read her story so I stole her pencil and corrected all the spelling and grammar. Then when we were actually in the class I had to read my partner's story to understand other people's point of views, and I kept stopping her and pointing out mistakes.

you know you're a writer when it's six am and you're still writing. Someone asks you why, and your response is, "someone dared me to write a novel in a day".

You know you're a writer when you FALL for stupid dares like that. Why? Because suddenly you want to know if you can.

You know you're a writer when after you only get to 35,000 in a day, you set a date for the next time you try to make the fifty

^^^^^^^^^Oh yeah thats right

#48 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

sorry, there's a LOT of quotes in my last post, i even had to bind some of them together!

#49 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

:spinstar: You HATE spell check, because half your characters names don't appear as correct and you hate seeing a bunch of red squiggly lines all over your beautiful story.
:spinstar: You listen to songs and create music videos in your head. Ones with story lines, usually pertaining somehow to you and your crush getting together.
:spinstar: You think of songs as stories and that they relate to your life completely.
:spinstar: You hate the term "writer", because everyone writes. You are an author!!!
:spinstar: You use the thesaurus in Microsoft Word when you can't think of just the right word.
:spinstar: You hate chatspeak.

All moi :D

~Maggie

#50 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

When starting a new story (or posting one for the first time, or showing one of your friends a story) makes you insanely happy. :D

Emily :icon_flower:

#51 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

You know you're a writer when...

- On any given day, the following things may be on or near your writing desk (selected radomly from my own desk):

1. Band Aids
2. Unopened Package of Pencils
3. Neosporin
4. Lip Balm
5. Deoderant
6. Hair Brush(es)
7. 18 Sharpened Pencils
8. 10 Colored Pencils
9. 25 Ballpoint Pens
10. 8 Red Pens
11. 9 Mechanical Pencils
12. 4 Assorted Other Pens
13. Worn Paperback of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
14. Hat
15. Mardi Gras Beads
16. 19 Miniature Stuffed Animals (Moral Support)
17. USB Port Splitter
18. Digital Camera
19. 8 Empty Soda Cans
20. Dead Dry Erase Marker
21. Audio Casette
22. Yoga Jane Bender
23. 4 Hair Ties
24. Note Cards
25. 9 Post It Notes Pads
26. Audio CDs for Harry Potter Books 2-6
27. AA Batteries
28. Paper Weight
29. Package of 100 Twisty Paper Clips
30. 2 2006 Calanders
31. Changing Color Flashlight
32. Package Lined College Ruled Notepaper
33. Et Cetera

Kat :spinstar:

#52 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

- On any given day, the following things may be on or near your writing desk (selected radomly from my own desk):

1. Band Aids
3. Neosporin
4. Lip Balm
5. Deoderant
6. Hair Brush(es)
7. 18 Sharpened Pencils
8. 10 Colored Pencils
9. 25 Ballpoint Pens
10. 8 Red Pens
11. 9 Mechanical Pencils
13. Worn Paperback of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
14. Hat
15. Mardi Gras Beads
17. USB Port Splitter
18. Digital Camera
19. 8 Empty Soda Cans
20. Dead Dry Erase Marker
21. Audio Casette
22. Yoga Jane Bender
23. 4 Hair Ties
24. Note Cards
25. 9 Post It Notes Pads
26. Audio CDs for Harry Potter Books 2-6
27. AA Batteries
28. Paper Weight
30. 2 2006 Calanders
31. Changing Color Flashlight
33. Et Cetera

They were sortof random-but I can relate to why most of them are there

#53 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

You know when you're a writer when... dude, basically, when words make you horny..

-xx tephy

LMAO, Teph. That's me.

:lol:

Love,
Gracey :elmo:

#54 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

4. Lip Balm
6. Hair Brush(es)
7. 18 Sharpened Pencils
8. 10 Colored Pencils
9. 25 Ballpoint Pens
10. 8 Red Pens
11. 9 Mechanical Pencils
15. Mardi Gras Beads
17. USB Port Splitter
18. Digital Camera
23. 4 Hair Ties
24. Note Cards
25. 9 Post It Notes Pads
27. AA Batteries
28. Paper Weight
33. Et Cetera

those are not even some of the things on my desk
...i should really clean it...

roni

#55 Softballie

Softballie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

You know you're a writer when You don't take rejection hardly.

-Em

#56 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Lol. I'm pretty sure I'm a writer, and I take rejection REALLY hard. Smacked over the head with a ton of bricks hard.

I just try and hide it well. (and fail a lot of the time)

#57 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

whoops, forgot to add one.

You know you're a writer when you're too busy voting for the psychic one (from the poll) to realise that one of the options didn't turn up properly ("a couple. . . I'm not THAT strange" by the way was NOT the question), and hasn't been fixed yet because your AW mod is a bit of a ditz. ^_^

#58 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

--When you're shocked when someone is offended by your comment, "I don't like this line, but I like this one." Seriously, you can't expect someone to like EVERYTHING.

Love,

#59 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

You know you're a writer when you count the number of times someone uses the word "like" or the phrase "and then" in a sentence.

I could seriously do this all day in English...

#60 xPeace.Love.Happinessx

xPeace.Love.Happinessx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

~you get the feeling you have carpal tunnel
~you will think of so many story ideas but you don't know which one to start with
(maybe that's just me)
~you read so many books by the same author because you hope taht some of their writing will inspire you to write something just as brilliant
~you will just sit there with an open notebook and pen waiting to think of the most brilliant first sentence
~you sometimes just lay on your bed staring at the ceiling hoping something willl just come to you
~you tend to use your own life as inspiration for your writing
~you make mental note of everything so you can use it in your writing

Love Penny :krakrani:

#61 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:22 PM

~you get the feeling you have carpal tunnel

sorry, but whats this?

#62 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) or Median Neuropathy at the Wrist is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to pain, paresthesias, and muscle weakness in the forearm and hand.

That's from wiki. Basically, it's where bending the wrist (as one does when typing) causes pain throughout the hand. It can be caused by long hours sitting typing at the computer (if you use qwerty keypads. Apparently Dvorak was crated so that there wouldn't be such a strain on the wrist. (for all those who don't know about the diffrent types of keyboards, it's just where the letters are in different positions. Qwerty is the first six letters of the top left had side of the Qwerty keyboard, and likewise in the Dvorak.))

#63 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

thanks, i prbably should have just checked it out myself

#64 Softballie

Softballie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

You know you're a writer when you can pick out the climax in any movie.

It's ruined movies for me really.

-Em

#65 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

- You spend hours on Amazon.com trying to find the perfect writing book.

- You procrastinate quite often--anything but homework. You'll reorganize your desk for the umpteenth time if you have to, but no! Homework is poisonous.

- You save up your allowance to buy writing books and notebooks.

#66 lily_li14

lily_li14

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

- You struggle for weeks with polishing and perfecting story ideas, characters, and plot, but once you've got the rhythm down, it's all you can think about.

- While reading a really good story, you can't just sit back and enjoy it; you have to be jealous of the writer for being so mind-blowingly AMAZING, and vow right then and there to be just as good as them one day.

#67 galactonerd

galactonerd

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

It's amazing how many of these are true of me!

You can write convincingly from the perspective of a person who would hate you, and whom you would probably hate if you knew them.

You have never been in a relationship, but you can write really good love scenes (bonus points if your character is not the same sex as you and/or is not attracted to the same sex as you are).

You buy every notebook you see at garage sales and use every notebook you buy.

You have a shelf full of books on how to write fiction.

You come up with names of people, places, etc. you'd like to see but have never seen in real life, and then use them for stories.

You have tons of story ideas, many of which you'll never use because you generate them faster than you can write them.

You have "worlds" (which can be as big as a country, a planet, or even a galaxy, or as small as a town or even a single family) that you've made in excruciating detail, and you may or may not write stories about them.

Real-life sights make you think up descriptions to write in stories. (Example: "The gravestones looked like chess pieces, delivering the ultimate checkmate.")

You can see things from your characters' perspectives (even the villains) better than you can see things from the perspectives of people you know.

You make up words for your stories and use them in real life. (Example: "Downtimer" means "a person from the past;" I used it for a sci-fi story I've abandoned, but I use it figuratively to mean "an extremely old-fashioned person.")

#68 writerluv

writerluv

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

You have to many pens for your own good
you daydream about your next story and...
when you read this cite more than once a day
writerluv :cat:

#69 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

When you're not really in the mood to write, but you haven't updated in a while, so you write for all of your fabulous readers demanding an update. :)

#70 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

^^^

Definitely.
Okay, well, maybe I DON'T update that often.
But, it's the thought that counts, right?

#71 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Josh, everything you said applies to me. Haha. Especially this:

You can write convincingly from the perspective of a person who would hate you, and whom you would probably hate if you knew them.

ALL of my characters would hate me if they were real. Lmao

#72 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

As would mine. *sigh* 'Tis an occupational hazard, I suppose.

#73 rainaleopard

rainaleopard

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

You know your a writer when your characters become like real people. Like when you go to a store and find things that your character would love. Or when you accidentally start talking about them to friends like they are real people (this can get grant you awkward stares when you pause and realize what just flew out of your mouth). You know everything about them [the main characters] like they are a close friend. You know how they think, how they would react in any given situation, and what they hate.

Unfortunately, I always end up posting my I-was-bored-one-day-and-just-started-writing-for-the-heck-of-it stories on here. I always force inspiration for those stories; whereas for my novels, I let the inspiration find me--it's the most beautiful thing. All my good stuff is reserved for magazines and agents, just because most publishers (and all the magazines I've run into) want original, unpublished work.

Oops, getting off topic. Sorry.

Amy~Marie

#74 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

you know you're a writer when you sort out your own dramas (in your head) by writing a short story about it.

And then, even if things don't work out, you still feel better.

Love,

#75 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

^^^

Snicker, snicker.
Haven't tried that, but I should.
Haha. :P

#76 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

--Your desk is cluttered with sticky notes that have random inspiration and plot ideas written on them... and for stories that will probably never exist.

#77 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

:spinstar: You. Are. A. Grammar. Nazi.
:spinstar: You're rushing to finish the current story you're working on by October 31 so you can start NaNoWriMo on November 1st (That's what I'm currently doing)
:spinstar: You have playlists for your characters.
:spinstar: And for certain moods.
:spinstar: Half (Or more) of your Favorite's List is devoted to writing websites.

#78 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:40 PM

you know you're a writer when you sort out your own dramas (in your head) by writing a short story about it.

And then, even if things don't work out, you still feel better.

Love,

So true.

You know you're a writer when you're paranoid about people hacking into your files and instead save them on a USB drive.

#79 Softballie

Softballie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

You know you're a writer when you're paranoid about people hacking into your files and instead save them on a USB drive.

I do. I have like 8 or 9 of them.

-Em

#80 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

:spinstar: You're rushing to finish the current story you're working on by October 31 so you can start NaNoWriMo on November 1st (That's what I'm currently doing)

ME.

That's totally me.

Love,

#81 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

You know you're a writer when there're two kinds of people in this world: those who can write and those who can't.

#82 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

:spinstar: You. Are. A. Grammar. Nazi.
:spinstar: You have playlists for your characters.
:spinstar: And for certain moods.
:spinstar: Half (Or more) of your Favorite's List is devoted to writing websites.

You know you're a writer when there're two kinds of people in this world: those who can write and those who can't.

ALL ME. :)

~Maggie

#83 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

You get kind of weird when one of your friends announces they're going to write a story...you're the writer of your friends, not them!

You want a laptop for the holidays more than anything else (unless you already have one, lucky people :P )

#84 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

*You correct bad grammar on writings on desks such as 'Ali wuzzz here!!!'. Dude, either write WAS or don't write it at all! And are all the extra exclamations REALLY necessary, people?

#85 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Ahem. Guilty. That really bothers me. <_<

#86 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I do that as well. Well... I don't usually correct it. But I get irritated. I mean, if you're going to vandalize something... couldn't you do it neatly--and with correct grammar? :o I know. I ask so much of the world. LOL.

#87 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

-You subscribe to this thread so that you know the exact moment someone else gives their two cents.

Could just be me. LOL.

#88 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

You are thinking of your friend's drama
in prose.

Love,

#89 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

When you ask your English teacher if it's correct to use a certain form of grammar or not and everyone in the class looks at you like, "WTF do you care or want to know for?"

#90 harmonysake

harmonysake

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

So many of these are so me! I was going to quote all the ones I fit in with but that took up WAY too much space.

-You have a whole folder full of future book ideas that you'll probably never use
-You have an order in which you will finish the books you've started
-When one of your crushes was talking to you about the book you want to write for the NaNoWriMo, he thinks the main character is his co-worker that everyone, including this person thinks you have a crush on and that the other boy is him, you blush furiously and I say "No! I DO NOT LIKE HIM!" even though you do. (Yeah, that one is so just me.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users