Photo

Typing or Writing?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Typing or Writing? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you usually type or handwrite your writing?

1. Handwrite (27 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Type (81 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 jessinia

jessinia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Oops! I'm so sorry! Jess let me on and I forgot to log her off. So, this is Mani. Not Jess.

#92 Charlii_x

Charlii_x

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:47 AM

I hand write my chapters but then it takes me time to type it up and I have to procrastinate from homework.
As in like 2 days.

Charlie xxx

#93 steffykins xx3

steffykins xx3

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

I prefer typing because it keeps me much more organized and I don't make a big mess while editing. Except if I am out, I carry a notebook in my purse just if I get an idea, then I write it down and then type it up.

I think it's easier to type things, but that's just me because I can type things really fast now and as I said before I don't stress myself out in editing because I can just click "Delete" lol.

-Stefanie

#94 Querida_Girl19

Querida_Girl19

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

I type more often than I write, because typing is easier and faster for me to edit and get all of my thoughts down before I forget them (because I am thoroughly convinced that I have short term memory loss, unfortunately). Plus I type because I don't really like my handwriting. ;)
However, I write in my journal, so I'll just have to suck it up with dealing with my handwriting. :D

#95 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

I prefer typing because:
-I make a lot of mistakes, so I don't have to erase everything.
-I have horrible handwriting!
-I'm one of the worlds fastest typers, and the worlds slowest writers
-I can lose handwritten papers, but I don't have to worry about this on the computer!

:D

#96 i.heart.micheal

i.heart.micheal

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

As much as I love to receive handwritten letters because it makes things more thoughtful and holds more sentimental value, typing stories or stuff is much more convenient for me. I feel that it is a lot easier to get thoughts out by typing. With technology these days, it doesn't get any easier. I must say though, I miss the receiving those letters in the mail. ^_^

#97 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:18 AM

I love typing because like you said it works almost as fast as my brain, but I find that writing gives me more of the feel, the inspiration and yeah it's portable (unfortunately i haven't obtined laptop yet.) but it's easier to edit and do things like that when you use the computer.

♥ Cerra

#98 nadytoo

nadytoo

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Usually, when I develop a plot I write in a notebook first to see where I can go with it. Later if it appeals to me, then I go and type on the computer. I find that when I type it into the computer I can add details that make it better. But everyone has their own way.

♥ Nadeen ♥

#99 ehaw17

ehaw17

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

i like typing better, but i always carry a notebook with me and write if i get an inspired moment. then i go home and type it in.

-Emily

#100 EIWwillBeAnAuthorOneDay

EIWwillBeAnAuthorOneDay

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

it depends because if I'm on my laptop and get an idea and type it down fast and then i'm out , I carry this idea story book around I write it down, along with a little book call I quote everyone and write down a bunch random quotes from my family and friends

#101 kristiskye

kristiskye

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I usually keep my stories in notebooks, then type them later.
But I'm pretty picky about what kind of spirals and the pens I
use!

Kristin-Skye

#102 EIWwillBeAnAuthorOneDay

EIWwillBeAnAuthorOneDay

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

I usually keep my stories in notebooks, then type them later.
But I'm pretty picky about what kind of spirals and the pens I
use!

Kristin-Skye

i four different pens I write my stories with, a red one, a connect four, barrels of moneky and this one dad is still looking for

#103 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

I use a journal/notebook when I don't have easy access to my laptop, and I know I'll go on sprees where I use only my favorite pen, whichever it might be at the time.

I have a couple favorite notebooks, too. Must be a writer thing, lol.

Emily :icon_flower:

#104 PinkNinja

PinkNinja

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

Handwriting. Typing is faster, but the notebook is less intimidating and it just feels more personal.

- Cali :spinstar:

#105 w/peaches

w/peaches

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I mostly like to type because I am a very fast typer, and when I get going, I just need to be able to write really fast to keep up with my thoughts. Sometimes I'll handwrite things, but then I always type them up afterwards.

#106 size 12 is not fat

size 12 is not fat

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

i write my stuf in a note book and then check the spelling.

oce ^_^

#107 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Okay, it's changed for me. I first right it out, then I type, but usually make a lot of changes while doing it. Then I read through it one more time to make sure I've got it right, and then post it.
-Kayli ;p

#108 CrazyCheerChick

CrazyCheerChick

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

I prefer to type, but only if I can do it on my own computer. I don't really like people I know reading what I write, so I like having my own lap top...

I like typing because it's much faster, easier, and just neater. I don't like having to worry about losing what I write, and I end up bringing my journals/notebooks a lot of places where they could easily be lost. I think it's easier to spell check and stuff on computers. Also, things I type just seem to be of so much better quality. I can do word counts more easily, and it's easier to upload to writing sites and stuff like that.

#109 CadenceL

CadenceL

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

I really do prefer typing, but lately I've had to handwrite everything I think of because I don't have Microsoft Word anymore. (Not good...)

#110 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

I don't like writing in a notepad, I find I get bored and tired really easily and typing is so much easier. Plus, I like adjusting the font and making the page look pretty :) ('cause I'm cool like that).

Mimsie.

#111 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

I usually type. I can get so much more done that way. Instead of finishing a quarter of a chapter in four hours, I can finish a whole chapter.

There are some times when I like handwriting stuff, but a lot of times that only messes me up. When I'll go to save something I've handwritten on my computer, I make a ton of mistakes because I'm not really concentrating on what I'm typing. If I write everything on the computer directly, I'm actually thinking about what I'm saying, so everything is more accurate.

:heartbeat: Sara

#112 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hmmm...
At school we have to write. I can do about five pages an hour so 2000 words per hour. 33 words per min.
Writing I normally end up doing about 3500-4000 words per hour.
I love typing as it works faster and I can do other things at the same time- forums and music
Typing rocks!

#113 MusicLover11

MusicLover11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

Mostly I type, but sometimes I write it down first, depending on how I feel.
Sarah x

#114 jess_rob4ever

jess_rob4ever

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

I write better when I type and I get really bored and tired if I write in a journal for long.

But the thing I like about physically writing a story is that you feel more attune to the words and when you type, they just leave so fast you don't feel each one. Weird?

#115 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

But the thing I like about physically writing a story is that you feel more attune to the words and when you type, they just leave so fast you don't feel each one. Weird?

Not weird! I feel the same way. And when I've got writer's block, physically writing helps me along... perhaps because I feel closer to what I'm saying.

Emily :icon_flower:

#116 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

TYPING all the way!, it may seem lazy but it's easier to write with and it dosn't make your hand ache and you can write faster...no what I mean?
XPenny PringleX

#117 kiya12309

kiya12309

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

I prefer to type, because I feel like I can have a lot more room to think or something on the computer, and then I print it out and then edit it on paper, and bring it back to the computer and fix my errors.

#118 xx.Phoebe.xx

xx.Phoebe.xx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

Both. I jot some notes down on paper but in the end I don't understand what I wrote because I have a Doctor's handwriting. :D But typing is definitely the best solution for me. :P

Phoebe

#119 Toxic_Energy

Toxic_Energy

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

I like them both, but I prefer typing because it's simply faster and easier. Typing is the best when it comes to NaNoWriMo.

#120 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

I love the physicality of writing... I write in cursive and the words just flow out of my pen, and it makes me feel so in tune with my characters and their voices. I love the motion of putting the pen to the paper... it's really calming for me [:

<3 Mrs. Merrick

#121 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

If I were to answer this question five years ago when I started getting into writing, I'd probably side with handwrite. But now I prefer typing and it is a lot easier for me. When I handwrite stuff I just feel sloppy and claustrophobic. Like my ideas, spelling, and creative flow is all clumsy and jumbled. At least on the computer you can spiff up what you put down. With writing it on paper you either have to cross it out or start all over again. Typing allows you the ability to edit and use tools to help you.

Anyway, thats just me. I'm a horrible typer but my free write is much much worse. Believe me. Haha. Its still good to carry around a note book to jot down inspiration/ideas/ect. That way you will have it when a computer is not around. Or sometimes I even use the voice recorder in my phone or the "note" app on my Itouch when I don't have a paper or pen.

-MEG

Edited by 24moon100, 03 August 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#122 mopmare

mopmare

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I prefer to handwrite because I have been for ages....

but maybe I can be converted.

:icon_flower: :heartbeat: :spinstar: :icon_lol:

#123 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think I'm sort of strange, because almost all the time, I write a chapter in my notebook and then do a second draft typed up. This all started years ago when my mom said I could only spend half an hour on the computer a day, so I could only type for a little bit. That all changed, but I'm still in the habit years later. :P

I have about a billion notebooks that are all filled with chapters and plot outlines and character work because of this. It's nice to do organized chapter outlines in my notebook, but it's so slow. Honestly, I prefer typing.

I don't think there's anything more satisfying than a nice page full of writing in a worn-out notebook, though. (It would be nicer if my handwriting wasn't so awful...) It's nice to be able to have something to carry around with you when you go places. I've been mocked many times for being the person who brings a notebook to a sports event. :) I just have to guard the notebook with my life then. I freak out when people even touch my notebooks. My laptop's password protected, so that eliminates that issue.

Typing > by hand, easily. It's just that once you're in a habit, it's really hard to get out of it...

xoxoArtemis

#124 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I rather writing as my time on the computer is limited and staring at a computer screen makes me dizzy. I can write anywhere, I can only use the computer in certain places. Having said this my handwriting is illegible to anyone but me, though it does make it hard for people to copy my work, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Millie May

#125 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

I love typing because if we get some other ideas we can add it easily instead of messing up the book.

#126 KatieCakes

KatieCakes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I write notes and ideas into a notebook but when it comes to writing up chapters, I have to type. I make way too many mistakes to handwrite everything!

#127 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

A mixture of both.

I nearly always do all my planning, note taking and other such hand written.

Then I write the actual book up on the laptop.

I love seeing how pages and pages of typing can come from that couple of handwritten notes.

I used to handwritten the chapters too, but that was through necessity because of school, I couldn't do that now through fear of the chocolate handprint a certain two year old menace manages to put on everything! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users