Photo

Typing or Writing?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Typing or Writing? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you usually type or handwrite your writing?

1. Handwrite (27 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Type (81 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!! Once I'm done writing the story then I will put it on my computer. Thanks for posting this topic. Really interesting to see who does what. You know????

~!~Danielle~!~

This is what I also like to do. I will type my story on the computer whenever chance I get, but then I'll print it out and put it in a binder that I keep for it. And I write more with actual pens and paper. I hate pencils. ...So messy!

Plus, when I type it out, I edit as I go and it becomes more elaborate and better. Which is a double plus!

Also, I can't sidetrack as much on my notebook. On the computer I'll start messing around and go here or fictionpress or check my email. That's really all I do. lol :)

Jennie :happy8:

#47 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

I would rather have a thesaurus than a dictionary. I find a lot of the time I can figure out what a word means by looking for other words that I recognise.

Yeah same. On my computer I'll right-click on a word and look up it's synonyms. I also do that when I can't come up with the right word. Lol :)

Sorry for the 2 posts in a row. I forgot to respond to this. Lol.

#48 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

It varies for me. I usually have two or three stories going at the same time. I always have one in a notebook and a few on the computer. That way, no matter where I am, I can write.

Ex.

Lighthouse - notebook that goes everywhere with me

California - computer
see'est la vie - computer {avec Gracey}

Of course writing lighthouse will take me longer than the other two because I type faster than writing but it gives me something to write at school when I'm ignoring my teachers ^_^

.:Ash:.

#49 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

i cant write out my stories, i change my mind so often about each sentance and im not the neatest person on te planet but i hate untidynes..lol..so once i cancel i switch pages and then i get bored i love the power of backspace its so much quicker than getting an eraser or canceling or whatever..so i type....i only properly discovered the joys of wirting long stories when i began spending days and nights on the computer

Amber

#50 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

California - computer
see'est la vie - computer {avec Gracey}
.:Ash:.

I write all my stories for the WF on the computer, because that way I don't have to type them up to post.

And I hate the auto-corrector, or whatever it is.

Love,
Gracey :elmo:

#51 Mediator17

Mediator17

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

When I'm writing a story on the computer (which I always am) and I'm going on a trip or something where I may want to right but won't have my computer with me, I just print out the last page I've written on Word, and put it in my notebook, so I remember where I left off. Then, when I get back, I can just type up what I've written, and there you go.

But generally I prefer the computer and typing a lot more.

#52 JustlikeJess

JustlikeJess

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

That's a good idea. I am about to leave for two weeks. I think i will use that idea. Oh, and i prefer tryping. I can keep up with my thoughts better. And also this is kinda gross but my hands get sweaty easily and then i cant hold the pen.

Crystal

#53 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

Ew, I hate that.

And that's actually a great idea, Mel...

:thinks:

Love,

#54 dancing-queen-x

dancing-queen-x

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

Typing! I don't think i've ever written any of my stories out before. I do have a notebook for ideas though it's pretty empty to be honest.
I write everything out on my laptop and i don't have to worry about anyone seeing it because it's my own.
Plus, i'm a really fast typer and don't need to look down at the keyboard...i get strange looks when i'm on the computer at school because i type really fast and everyone can hear me (some school keyboards are really hard to press down so i'm used to slamming the buttons, especially the space bar).

I do write in my journal/diary by hand though!

..x.. Victoria ..x..

#55 BebeSunshine07

BebeSunshine07

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

Hiii. :) I prefer typing because it's easier to correct the mistakes, and it's faster. ^_^

#56 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

I do write in my journal/diary by hand though!

Same. I think most people do. Well, teenagers, I mean. Older people use their computers more, I think.

Hiii. :) I prefer typing because it's easier to correct the mistakes, and it's faster. ^_^

Welcome to MCMB, Bebe. :)

#57 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

I usually handwrite for drafts, because I usually write drafts before actually typing the story. And I type for final drafts, etc to catch any grammar or spelling mistake.

♥ Roz

Me, too. I really like typing because after I write something, I like to go back and add stuff. But I like writing because it's faster for me, although I am getting better at typing.

Emily

#58 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

I like typing better, because I am a left-hander and I blur the ink whith my hand while writing. Also I get ink stains on my hand.
Also my hand starts hurting after a while.
And I type faster than I write, somehow my stories are better when I type them.

:heartbeat: StrawberryPrincess :heartbeat:

#59 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to MCBC, Bebe. I'm Gracey.

Love,

#60 Baby Norbert

Baby Norbert

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

I love handwriting... I think that comes from the fact that most of my stories started in class when I wasn't paying attention (woops) and the fact that I didn't bring my laptop to school. I like because that way I can always pen something down plus then when I do type it I can edit and add things and I think that improves my writing... plus I love drawing just as much so when I get a tiny block I can always doodle my way out of it!

#61 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

I like using the computer because it takes me just five minutes to form a 'k', and on the computer I can get like 5oo words.
-xx Ash0.

#62 heart_of_gold

heart_of_gold

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Usually typing, but handwriting feels more personal and special, if you know what I mean. :P

#63 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

My hand and wrist have been cramping more often than usual, and I think it may have something with music...so, I've put off handwriting unless it's absolutely necessary, otherwise the computer.

I think I've posted in this thread before...but what the heck.

#64 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

I've posted in this thread about eight times.

But then again, it is my thread.

Love,

#65 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

I handwrite, then I type it up.

Sometimes, though, I type it when I'm bored!

#66 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'm old fashioned
I write in pen

#67 Avalon-Princess

Avalon-Princess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

Most definetly typing. I hate my handwriting and sometimes I can't read it. Plus when I type, I can jot things down faster.

<3 Jak

#68 Goa_Grl

Goa_Grl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

I like typing better, because I am a left-hander and I blur the ink whith my hand while writing. Also I get ink stains on my hand.
Also my hand starts hurting after a while.
And I type faster than I write, somehow my stories are better when I type them.

:heartbeat: StrawberryPrincess :heartbeat:

Im left handed. And i prefer typing too because its faster, neater and i can change my mind a billion times

Amber

#69 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

im a lefty too but i like to write. i CAN NOT type well.

#70 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I prefer hand writing because I just don't a) have the time to sit and type on a computer. Even though I type really fast. B) My ideas always come when I'm away from a computer.

#71 Forever Waiting

Forever Waiting

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

I prefer writing by hand too. I am an EXTREMELY slow typer, I dread typing stuff up. I write much faster with just pen and paper. Even though my handwriting is terrible :S.

Love,

Lizey

#72 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

I used to completely hate writing things out longhand. Now it isn't as bad--it grew on me, you might say. Sometimes I can't get to a computer, or the computer breaks, or... something. I still prefer writing on a computer--it's a lot easier. In some cases, though, it's nice to write things out. I find that when I'm typing a written page onto a word document, I can easily find mistakes or elaborate on things I hadn't written fully.

It also depends on how I'm feeling, though, and if I'm inspired. There are good days and bad days, I guess.

Kat

#73 rockbuffy91

rockbuffy91

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

:a_smil08: I type my because i am a bad speller

#74 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:24 AM

I like to type because the words look so much neater and so much more professional - it makes me more excited about continuing. Lol.

Char
:m:

#75 m0nkey_luvs

m0nkey_luvs

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

I sometimes like in school write stories I randomely think of in my notebook during math or something when I'm bored. Then this one girl who is in LOVE with my writing always goes, "You're writing another story? You have to let me read it!" And then I blush while all her friends crowd around me and ask to read it then the next day they completely forget about it.

-Anna

#76 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

I can never write by hand because my mind is always moving faster then my hand. At least when I type it's more equally paced.

#77 brown.eyed.goddess

brown.eyed.goddess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

I do both. Sometimes, I don't have a computer, or I dont want my parents reading my stories. But sometimes I type the things that are okay.

Ducky♥

#78 lily_li14

lily_li14

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

I only write by hand when I'm in planning stages, or when it's two in the morning and I'm desperately scrawling down a dream before I forget it. Otherwise, I type. It goes faster and it keeps me better organized.

#79 Charlii_x

Charlii_x

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

I use my notebook which I take with me every where. When I have time I type (sometimes very slow) but it's mostly handwriting.
Did You Know: that some people our generation cannot write that well because they type on the computer
I still love typing.

Charlie xxx

#80 giraffeonskates

giraffeonskates

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

I definitely prefer handwriting, because I can keep my work, see what I've written before...etc... Because when you type it, you just correct yourself, but then you can't see the things you've erased.

Yeah, I like seeing what I've written before I corrected myself as well. But the newest Microsoft Word has a strikeout tool which comes in pretty handy for that, so I type.

#81 HeartFailure

HeartFailure

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

Typing. I can't read my handwriting. And it's so slow. Well, faster than normal people, but still slower than my typing. ^.^ Also, it's more convenient for me, and I always lose paper/notebooks/pens.

#82 OceanicXGuitar

OceanicXGuitar

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

I mostly type out my stuff, because I get things done much quicker and get heaps more pages done than I would writing in pen, but I do write in pen occasionally because it gives me less time to procrastinate. That and my friends can beat me with the book when I try procrastinating :P They haven't tried throwing a computer at me yet lol.

Madzy :020:

#83 crouchingtiger18

crouchingtiger18

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

Do you guys prefer handwriting or typing things you write? I mean, I like typing because it's easier to go fast and keep up with my brain, but it's so much easier to be working on something on paper (much more portable).

What say you?

I know it's kind of a strange question, but my friend and I were discussing it eariler, and I just wondered what you all thought.

Love,

I agree with you, Gracey. I prefer to type because it's faster but when I'm at school I either send myself an email from my school email account if I'm on the computers but mostly I carry a notebook or use my homework diary or something to write. I always have a notebook with me when I'm out though.

All the Lovә...♫

#84 aDORKable_x

aDORKable_x

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

I like to type because the words look so much neater and so much more professional - it makes me more excited about continuing. Lol.

Char
:m:

I completely agree with you Char! xD! That is the exact feeling I get too!
So yes, typing, definitely. I love starting with a blank page on Microsoft Word because it feel so clean and unused. And like the others, I think typing is faster, so it makes it easier to get my ideas down and / or erase things. (Erasers smudge things, and take too much effort, leading me to become annoyed and uninspired.) Also, spell check comes in really handy (:! However, sometimes I do carry a notebook with me when I travel so I can write when I am feeling bored or inspired.

#85 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

^For me, a blank page is intimidating. There are so many things you could put there, but which one to choose? I much prefer continuing something that I've started before. I agree with your disdain for erasers, though. I even cross out when I use pencil.

I carry a notebook with me always, though, in addition. It's a nice one.

Love,

#86 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

Type - because it's faster. But when I get stuck, I switch to paper and I almost always feel better about the writing and get past the point I was stuck at.

#87 bleached_princess

bleached_princess

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I type, because it's easier for my words to keep up with my thoughts. Not to mention that my handwriting is extremely messy - no matter how careful I write, I stll have trouble deciphering some of my words, because I get so carried away with the story. Plus, I'm left-handed: whenever I hand-write, I leave a huge smudge across the entire page. And if I'm using one of those spiral notebooks instead of a legal pad (which is far too often, my family doesn't understand my lefty needs) the metal spine digs into my hands and it KILLS.

Sometimes I do wish that I handwrote more often, though: it is a lot more portable, and much easier to have when you're writing on the fly. But I much prefer typing. I can touch-type, so the words just fly out. ;)

#88 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Both have their pros and cons. I like typing solely because I like the sound of my fingers on the keys. =]

<3 Petra.

#89 sunburst-chick9

sunburst-chick9

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

normally, during the first draft I handwrite it - since I don't know the exact words I'm writing, i just know the basic idea and when I handwrite it out, its just so much easier to think as I write as its much slower and also i can write for longer - as when I type my chapter on the computer the first time I write it, I am much more prone to stop writing in the middle of it as I will probobly end up getting a headache pretty soon!

but, after I've finished my first draft - I usually type it up on the computer again! Its a really good form of editing the things which you don't want or want to change, and whenever you need it you can just copy and paste! lol :P

mia xx

#90 jessinia

jessinia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

You know, it's really hard to say... I mean, I love hand-writing, but when I try to post or anything, I always have to type pages and pages, but I get less ideas when I'm typing... you know?

Mani :mgbumblebee:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users