Photo

Typing or Writing?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Typing or Writing? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you usually type or handwrite your writing?

1. Handwrite (27 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Type (81 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

Do you guys prefer handwriting or typing things you write? I mean, I like typing because it's easier to go fast and keep up with my brain, but it's so much easier to be working on something on paper (much more portable).

What say you?

I know it's kind of a strange question, but my friend and I were discussing it eariler, and I just wondered what you all thought.

Love,
Gracey :elmo:

#2 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

I prefer typing, because my hand's very prone to cramping, but I used to only handwrite out of paranoia that someone would read what I was writing (like my sister). I handwrite in my journal, though.

#3 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

Type, all the way. I touch type really fast now, so that's one reason why. It's also generally easier to keep things organized. I occasionally use my writing notebook, but I'm currently from lost-notebook-land (AGAIN), so it's much better if I keep it on a computer, which I really can't lose, per se.

Lol.

Good question, though.

~Maggie

#4 Pink*Snowflake

Pink*Snowflake

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

For my stories I always type. There's just something about typing that makes me go longer. Maybe it's how nice and neat everything looks, or something. It just makes me write faster.

Although I do handwrite in a journal. Either every day or a few times a week. That I think is more fun. It's hard to explain why, but it just is. :)

#5 shadowland750

shadowland750

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

Typing is for me. It makes my chapters more lengthy, and it's oh so neat! :D

#6 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

i usually write it out first.
that way i dont have to lug around my laptop everywhere i go
only a notebook and a pen!

#7 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

I understand the benefits of using a notebook, but it's very easy to widen the margins on Word, print it out, then just write in the margins whatever comments/notations one has. Sometimes I even write in the margins of books...*ahem*

#8 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

^^Yeah, same. And again, I lose things like crazy. It's generally harder to lose a computer.

But Rainbow, you had some nice points. If I was less likely to lose things, I would totally use a notebook more often.

~Maggie

#9 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

I usually write it in my notebook, which I keep close to me, because I'm paranoid that I will lose all the work I ahve done or it's gonna get into the wrong hands.

Writing in a book makes it easier because I can sit virtually anywhere, out in the garden, work on it in the boring classes i have to endure at school and even at my friend's house.

Plus, I have had bad experiences with computers. Usually them going on the blink when I need them the most and always managing to lose my work.

Also, I have notived that when I write it on paper and then type it up, I can spot any grammatical errors and since I have the draft on paper, I suddenly start to throw in more snippets and info and, viola, my chapters become longer.

Because the truth is, if I wrote it on my computer, then I can nenver be bothered that much to proof read, so tranferring from paper to computer, makes me do the proofread as i go along.

Hope that threw in some valid points to your discussion.

Rainbow

exactly why i use a notebook

miss hasta

#10 Princess_In_Waiting

Princess_In_Waiting

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

I usually handwrite for drafts, because I usually write drafts before actually typing the story. And I type for final drafts, etc to catch any grammar or spelling mistake.

♥ Roz

#11 PrincesseMia

PrincesseMia

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

I definitely prefer handwriting, because I can keep my work, see what I've written before...etc... Because when you type it, you just correct yourself, but then you can't see the things you've erased. And plus, watching the computer during hours, tires your eyes.

#12 harmonysake

harmonysake

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

I prefer handwriting but I usually end up typing. It's just faster for me to type though I get distracted more easily. I do keep all of my ideas in a notebook though.

#13 nickle15

nickle15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

Ha! My handwriting is illegible! I type a lot faster than I can write-and I don't get pencil and ink stains all over my hands. Plus, the copies are a lot easier to keep up with. My laptop is my absolute best friend ans spell check is my savior. As far as I'm concerned, I only use paper and pen when I really can't find a computer. Sometimes just typing out my ideas and thoughts can be very soothing, too. I have great respect for people with great handwriting, and if that person would rather write than type, they are a lot more patient than me-and organized (where to they put it all)?

So, I will admit that I am far too lazy, too disorganized, too sloppy to keep up with writing everything out by hand, but that just means I have all the more respect and adoration for the soul who can stand it.

Worshipfully yours,
Nickle

#14 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

Wow. I do both. I keep a record of my stories printed out and I bring those everywhere so I can continue adding to them. But I really hate actually handwriting it because sometimes I'll get sudden inspiration and I won't be able to write it all down and then I forget and that is no fun at all. :icon_mecry2:

Plus, I'm a *really* fast typer and I can type soooo much faster than actually writing the whole stupid thing out, ya know?

Haha.

#15 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

I'm too meticulous not to have good handwriting or spelling...It's strange for me to read posts where people say that Word is such a good thing because it checks spelling/grammar/etc.

#16 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

I'm very big on grammar, but I just CAN'T spell that well. It's much easier to have spellcheck, trust me.

But I do like handwriting. I'm just constantly asking people how to spell things.

~Maggie

#17 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

I'm very big on grammar, but I just CAN'T spell that well. It's much easier to have spellcheck, trust me.

But I do like handwriting. I'm just constantly asking people how to spell things.

~Maggie

ha me too

#18 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

I type. I LOVE nuying and starting new notebooks, but two pages into it, I get bored and just wind up typing. As much as this has surprised me- because I'm a fast writer, I type faster than I write. When I write, sometimes I have to stop and remember that idea that I wanted to write down but toook too long and the idea is gone now. That gets me SO frustrated and angry. So I figure because I can type faster, I therefore, duh, type. But I like the outcome of a full notebook... It's tres cool. [Is 'tres' by any chance in French?] So yeah...

Beside, when you type, everything comes out neater and it actually LOOKS like a real book. Plus, the SpellChecker makes things easier... I always did come second place in Spelling Bees. Notebooks bring back bad memories.. Lol

-Julia

#19 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

[Is 'tres' by any chance in French?]

Indeed it is, Julia.

Another advantage of typing: finger coordination! I play the clarinet, so obviously, coordination's a huge thing. Does anyone play the piano? [I used to, but that was before I started typing so fast.] If so, do you think it's helped you become faster when you play?

#20 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

Indeed it is, Julia.

Another advantage of typing: finger coordination! I play the clarinet, so obviously, coordination's a huge thing. Does anyone play the piano? [I used to, but that was before I started typing so fast.] If so, do you think it's helped you become faster when you play?

I play the piano, but I don't think that it had necessarily made me faster. Piano keys are very different from a keyboard. I just got faster by constantly typing. Now I'm at like, 60 WPM, I think.

#21 drumgirl1923

drumgirl1923

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

I like to type because then I can go faster and not forget what I want to write.

Drumgirl

#22 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Let us not forget the awesome-ness that is the BACKSPACE, either. No eraser dust or ink smudges.

#23 nina.csi

nina.csi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Banned
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Ohh, typing is better. You get to edit things SO easily! You select it, you delete it, you change its place, you do whatever you want with it. If you're not happy, you delete everything without killing innocent trees. You can't get pissed off your handwriting is ugly and then wanting to erase everything. And plus, typing is FASTER.

Time is money. Lmao.

Nina xx

#24 drumgirl1923

drumgirl1923

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Ha ha ha no eraser marks or anything and of course i love the backspace

Drumgirl

#25 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

You can't get pissed off your handwriting is ugly and then wanting to erase everything. And plus, typing is FASTER.

I hate that, especially when I've written a letter really well...then there's a mistake...and I have to either scratch out or erase the letter. Ack. Maybe that's just me being obsessive? Most likely, lol.

#26 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

i like my handwriting

#27 drumgirl1923

drumgirl1923

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

really
I'm being pressy I'm just curious why?

Drumgirl

#28 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

everyone likes my handwriting
its very neat even neater when i write fast
its weird but everyone loves it
i change it up every now and then
like writing in cursive or in all caps

miss hasta

#29 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

I have really crappy handwriting, but I can read it well enough. And I collect words, so my spelling's good.

However, when I'm working on short stories, I type. But when I'm doing a novel-length piece I use a notebook, because I hate editing typewritten pages (something about them intimidates me) and when I copy over to a computer I add and edit.

Look at me, answering my own question. x.x

Love,

#30 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

type. I always type now that I have my laptop. *hugs laptop* i just find things simpler, in that I tpe faster than I write, and it makes the revising so much easier.

However, I must those people who say that they have to edit on a hard copy. I always (as in, the one time I have actually tried to edit something) print out my story and edit on that with either a pencil, or a red pen.

#31 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, I can't edit on a computer. I just used a black pen, though. And I thick blue marker for cross outs.

#32 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

i use a red pen
usually felt tip

#33 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Ooh, felt tips are my nemesis. Mostly because my siblings squish my nice tips and make them flat and crappy.

Also, I write in cursvie, so all the loopies get smooshed together with a felt tip pen.

Okay, random.

#34 MozartKid71393

MozartKid71393

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

I usually write it in my notebook, which I keep close to me, because I'm paranoid that I will lose all the work I ahve done or it's gonna get into the wrong hands.

Writing in a book makes it easier because I can sit virtually anywhere, out in the garden, work on it in the boring classes i have to endure at school and even at my friend's house.

Also, I have notived that when I write it on paper and then type it up, I can spot any grammatical errors and since I have the draft on paper, I suddenly start to throw in more snippets and info and, viola, my chapters become longer.

Because the truth is, if I wrote it on my computer, then I can nenver be bothered that much to proof read, so tranferring from paper to computer, makes me do the proofread as i go along.

Ya, I know what you mean. What is in the story I am working on right now is for my eyes and the eys of a few trusted friends. If my family ever got a hold of it, they wouldn't let it go. I take my notebooks everywhere, I even took them to an amusment park. I revise like crazy after writing on a thought really quickly and my margins are generally filled.

I have great respect for people with great handwriting, and if that person would rather write than type, they are a lot more patient than me-and organized (where to they put it all)?

I put mine in carefully color coded notebooks and don't have to worry about where they are because they are always with me.

Another advantage of typing: finger coordination! I play the clarinet, so obviously, coordination's a huge thing. Does anyone play the piano? [I used to, but that was before I started typing so fast.]If so, do you think it's helped you become faster when you play?

Totally. I play clarinet and piano, too and am kind of a fast typer. I will take a moment to say that my clarinet is like my bestest friend. But anyway, it is a proven fact that playing an instrument allows you to make more complex finger movements because your muscles are used to doing it so, I don't see why it wouldn't help you be a fast typer.

And I collect words, so my spelling's good.

You are not the only one! I own a dictionary with 467,000 words in it and use it regularly. That, and I use a thesaurus. A lot. When I come across I word that I like, I write it down.

I like to type because then I can go faster and not forget what I want to write.

If I'm in the middle of something else, I write my ideas on sticky notes. I love them, sticky notes, I mean.

Personally, I like writing things out. It gives me privacy and allows me to do it on my own time. Everyone in my house lives on the computer, so if I wanted to write when someone else was on, I wouldn't be able to.

#35 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

You are not the only one! I own a dictionary with 467,000 words in it and use it regularly. That, and I use a thesaurus. A lot. When I come across I word that I like, I write it down.

Thesaruses are amazing. But when I come across a word I like, I just use it.

For example, defenestrate.

#36 shadowland750

shadowland750

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

Plus, I have had bad experiences with computers. Usually them going on the blink when I need them the most and always managing to lose my work.

Hope that threw in some valid points to your discussion.

Rainbow

You are so right Rainbow! Great Tips!

Shadow.

#37 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Ooh, felt tips are my nemesis. Mostly because my siblings squish my nice tips and make them flat and crappy.

Also, I write in cursvie, so all the loopies get smooshed together with a felt tip pen.

Okay, random.

i only have one or two felt tips and i only do them for revision

one red and one black i think...

plus i dont have any siblings

miss hasta

#38 Azalea

Azalea

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Typing is for my stories.

Handwriting is for my diary.

Lol, though I'm more into both... but then yeah, typing wins by far. Easy, sufficient and quick.

Azzy :m:

#39 Funky_monkey

Funky_monkey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

When I have to write a lot I write because I can't notice my mistakes when I type and I get tired looking at the computer screen for too long.

#40 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

However, I must those people who say that they have to edit on a hard copy. I always (as in, the one time I have actually tried to edit something) print out my story and edit on that with either a pencil, or a red pen.

Yeah, I do that too. It's much easier to see what I've edited, and what I haven't. Plus it always feels good to hold a stack of paper that was written completely by *you*. Or me. Whatever context you want to put it in. Lol

Jennie :happy8:

#41 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

I know. It is impressive to throw a large pile of printed paper on the desk and think "I wrote that". Far more impressive than looking at a word document.

#42 shadowland750

shadowland750

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

I would need a dictionary!

#43 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

i usually write it out first.
that way i dont have to lug around my laptop everywhere i go
only a notebook and a pen!

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!! Once I'm done writing the story then I will put it on my computer. Thanks for posting this topic. Really interesting to see who does what. You know????

~!~Danielle~!~

#44 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

I would rather have a thesaurus than a dictionary. I find a lot of the time I can figure out what a word means by looking for other words that I recognise.

#45 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

you know how i siad i like to write it out first?
we....i have found the magic that is typing it out first
dont get me wrong i still love to write ill probablt do that for my next story
but typing is so much easier than writing.
but writing will always be first in my book

miss hasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users