• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 *HONEY*

*HONEY*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

Here is a thread for you to put tidbits of info you found works when writing. Please note this is just for random advice, not paragraphs on the mechanics of editing, etc.

Or you can also put quotes from writers, quotes for writers, and quotes about writing.

So, make good use of it!

And remember, this is not an ask-for-advice thread, it's a give-advice thread.

-xx tephy

#2 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

"What do successful writers have in common with postage stamps?
They stick to it until they get to their destinations."
--No idea who said it. But it has been stuck on my head for months.

#3 xox-C@ndii-xox

xox-C@ndii-xox

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

This is all from Stephenie Meyer's FAQ:

"Some of the best advice on writing I got from Janet Evanovich's website. She said if you want to be a writer as a profession, then treat it like a job. Put in the hours. Set aside time for writing, and then make yourself sit down and do it. Sometimes it's easy--the words flow and you can get a lot done. Other times it's hard, and you might only get one sentence done in an hour. But that's better than nothing." - This helps, though I wouldn't say, full on force yourself to write.

"Here's a tip that really helped me with book two and three: forget writing in order. With New Moon and Eclipse, I wrote out whichever scenes I was interested in, rather than starting at the beginning and working through to the end. I wrote most of the books in scenes, and then went back later and tied the scenes together. It cut out a lot of writer's block to write whatever part I was most interested in at the time." - When the advice above fails, this works really well. Now, sue me for obsession. >.<

#4 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

If you're an outliner (like me) be open to your own stories. Let it take the direction it needs to take. Many authors get wrapped up in 'sticking to the plan' and finding the easiest way to reach the ending that they don't take time to consider the different directions that their story could have gone in--they just assume that the original way is the best way. And sometimes it's not.

Does that make ANY sense?

#5 Cabot~Fan

Cabot~Fan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

^ It makes sense to me...

And this is a quote...

"I hate to write, but I love to have written"

Don't know who said it, but I heard it at a Creative Writing festival and I guess it sort of ties into what Candii had posted, from Stephenie Meyer's FAQ. Just sit down at write, even if you don't enjoy it.

~Chelsie ♥

#6 Cabot~Fan

Cabot~Fan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

^ Wait, that sounds wrong.

Sit down and write, even if you don't feel like it. And treat it like a job.

Yeah, that sounds better. I can't say anything today without having it sound wrong...

~Chelsie ♥

#7 jess_m_fan

jess_m_fan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

i have compiled a few quotes that may help some writers put into perspective what writing is about:

what a writer is?

Sit down, and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth, without pity, and destroy most of it. ~Colette, Casual Chance, 1964

for people who keep rewriting their chapters, feel not bad, this shall be a good one:

The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say. ~Mark Twain

for the persistent writers:
It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write. ~Sinclair Lewis

the philosophical:
Keep a diary and one day it'll keep you. ~Mae West

i know that i am competitive and sometimes when we look at somebody else's work, we want to write just like them or maybe outdo them, but really we should not be trying to catch up to others, we should do what we want:
If I worked as much as others, I would do as less as they

and the funny ones:
I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top. ~English Professor (Name Unknown), Ohio University

Imitation is the highest form of pissing me off. Quit stealing my content and violating my copyright. ~Jen T. Verbumessor

hope you find these helpful. i like the funny ones.

Fanta ^_^ good luck with whatever you do

#8 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

For all you poetry fans:

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down. -Robert Frost

#9 .::.dArQaNjIl.::.

.::.dArQaNjIl.::.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

I usually think of stuff randomly, while on the way to the pool, for example, I think of a pool scene, while sitting on a rock, of two lovers sitting on a huge boulder and stuff like that. I agree with SM that you should like scenes you want to write first and then piece it together in your mind.

#10 iluvmuzik

iluvmuzik

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

I totally agree with that. The best thing to do, for my crazy self, is to just sit and let myself day-dream.

I might come up with absolutely nothing, but otherwise I might start to come up with a totally random thought (One of my best) and end up following it, and following it more, and then some more, and sooner or later I'll come up with an entire plot line.

I don't know if I use it (the plot) all the time, but I do

write it down and end up with some small portion of it in a story

#11 call_me_querida

call_me_querida

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

For generating ideas:

I get lots of ideas through music. It really inspires me. Now I don't know what kind of music you guys are into and all that, but rock really makes me feel something. People think that it's all just metal and screaming. But it's not. There are a couple of rock songs out there that make me cry because they are so deep. But, it doesn't really matter what kind you listen to. It's a good inspiration because of the way so many different ways people can interpret it.

Hope this helped someone or other!

Lots_of_love,
Amanda :angel1:

#12 maestro_of_shalott

maestro_of_shalott

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

My favorite quote! :)

Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.

~Louisa May Alcott

#13 Wink_Murder

Wink_Murder

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

Music inspires me also, and i find music titles can too. If you take the time to really look at the title, and figure out what it's about, you really can come up with some good story ideas. If you take Gwen Stefani's 'What you waiting for', it could have loads of ideas branching from it. It could be about family pushing you into love/career/other things, or could be about a friends saying "What you waiting for? Go and get that guy!".

Ha, that sounded really dumb, but i find it helps. And that was a really crap example. <_<

#14 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

"Always, and I mean ALWAYS, save your stuff in either a CD or email them to yourself in at LEAST two different mail accounts. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience over here." --Julia

#15 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

"I hate to write, but I love to have written"

~Chelsie ♥

I loved this one, I did!!

And here are some that I like best, I got them off Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' site

"Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything good."

—William Faulkner

Totally agree, sometimes the only way is to hammer through.

"Convince yourself that you are working in clay, not marble, on paper not eternal bronze: Let that first sentence be as stupid as it wishes."

—Jacques Barzun

Great help when you don't know how to start.
Sometimes I skip the firist sentence all together and start to go through the story and then I go back and do a proper intro

And more than anything else, love what you write, because if you don't, no one will.
Don't be afraid of taking the cut to your writing if you're not satisfied.
Also, learn the meaning of good enough, 'cause sometimes that all you can give, and no one can give more.

:P

On, and another one

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without hard work"

I don't know who said it but I know it to be true.

Whatever talent you have in whatever field, talent will only take you so far, you have to work hard at it. It's a process, a skill that you must love and cultivate. 'Cause i cringe when I think of my early writtings from when I was in middle school and such, but if I hadn't done them, I wouldn't have learned my most evident flaws, I sometimes go back and edit stuff I wrote before but I find that I can't do best, I can correct grammar and ortography, but even in some of those early writings I find some of my favorite lines.

A bit of prose, of just a great one liner that reminds me why I love this so much.

You have to love it. Trust me, 'cause though writting is awesome when you're on top of things, it hurts like hell when you can't find the words, and only love will keep you chained to your desk, staring at a blank page until you find them.

It's all about the Love, baby, The Love.

#16 tk_st_pd_fan

tk_st_pd_fan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

Personally I tend to get ideas at the strangest times like when I'm in bed trying to get to sleep and my advice is that, however stupid you think the idea is, write it down before you forget it, even if it's a line of description which pops into your head because you never know when it'll come in handy e.g. when you have to write a story for English in four periods and have no idea what to write about.

~aa~

#17 schrodingers cat

schrodingers cat

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself.

#18 Soccer_Fanatic

Soccer_Fanatic

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Give yourself a break and listen to classical music or Magical Mystery Tour. Chances are, there's a piece whose meaning eludes you (like I Am The Walrus) and will force you to write.

#19 Jack!e

Jack!e

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

This is all from Stephenie Meyer's FAQ:
"Here's a tip that really helped me with book two and three: forget writing in order. With New Moon and Eclipse, I wrote out whichever scenes I was interested in, rather than starting at the beginning and working through to the end. I wrote most of the books in scenes, and then went back later and tied the scenes together. It cut out a lot of writer's block to write whatever part I was most interested in at the time." - When the advice above fails, this works really well. Now, sue me for obsession. >.<

That's the best writing advice ever! I've been writing a story (It's kinda supposed to be a series), but I keep switching to other parts of the story that come later, because that's the part that I want to write at the moment. Everyone else thinks it's kind of crazy. I'm always writing at school, and when people ask to read my writing, I have to explain that they wouldn't understand the part that I'm at because I haven't written down the stuff that came before it. I'm not actually publishing my series/novel-like thing, seeing as how I'm only fourteen, but I'm writing for fun instead. And practice, of course.

Love,
Jackelyn

#20 imaginary roses

imaginary roses

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

1. Music can really create a mood. Keep a playlist/CD/tape/whatever of songs that relate to what you're writing. If you get stuck, listen to it and get in the mood, create that emotion for yourself before you create it for your reader.

2. If, like me, you get hung up on the little details, just stop. Take a blank page. And just write. Get the story out. Forget about individual words and lines. These can be edited afterwards. The director of writing on my course said that there are two problems that you get with writing essays, but I think it applies to all writing: those who can't see the wood for the trees (aka, people like me who get hung up on the style and phrasing and lexis) and those who can't see the trees for the wood (aka, people driven by plot who feel that style and word choice is less important than the story). Focus on your weak point and then let your strong point iron out the flaws.

3. Read. As this is a book club website, I guess you all do. But challenge yourself as a reader as well as a writer. Love romance? Read sci-fi. Love sci-fi? Read a crime novel. Prefer short stories? Read a novel? Novel reader? Read some poetry. You get the idea. The wider your reading, the more you have to draw on.

4. Break the rules. Play with convention, challenge authority, defy the norm. Surprise your readers. Surprise yourSELF.

5. Take a break. If you have writer's block, sometimes the best thing is to set that piece aside and work on something else. Or even STOP WRITING. Just for a little while. Stressing about it can be counter-productive.

#21 imaginary roses

imaginary roses

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Oh, and get readers.

Then ignore them.

Seriously, you cannot please everyone. So listen to criticism, but think hard before acting on it. And NEVER DELETE ANYTHING. If you make changes, keep the original. That way, you won't regret any edits. It happens. Trust me.

#22 galactonerd

galactonerd

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

What schrodingers cat is saying is true; I learned that the hard way. There were a few stories I tried writing for years before I finally abandoned them. What works for me is to think of what I want to teach through the story and then come up with the story based on that. Time travel is a fascinating idea, but Back to the Future isn't about the time machine; it's about seeing how your parents were when they were your age.

Unrelated quote:

"Plumbers don't get plumber's block, so why should writers get writer's block? Writer's block is simply a need to rework that part of the story from a different angle." --Lecturer at a writing seminar I went to a long time ago

#23 LadyMMac

LadyMMac

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

^^^That's an interesting quote. I'll keep that in mind, most definitely.

~Maggie

#24 little rascal

little rascal

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

Here are a few I found sorry if some are repeated. :D

Forget all the rules. Forget about being published. Write for yourself and celebrate writing.
Melinda Haynes

Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it.
Jesse Stuart

You can't say, I won't write today because that excuse will extend into several days, then several months, then… you are not a writer anymore, just someone who dreams about being a writer.
Dorothy C. Fontana

Through joy and through sorrow, I wrote. Through hunger and through thirst, I wrote. Through good report and through ill report, I wrote. Through sunshine and through moonshine, I wrote. What I wrote it is unnecessary to say.
Edgar A. Poe

A word is a bud attempting to become a twig. How can one not dream while writing? It is the pen which dreams. The blank page gives the right to dream.
Gaston Bachelard

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Don't explain why it works; explain how you use it.
Steven Brust

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'. Otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.
C. S. Lewis

Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any.
Orson Scott Card

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Albert Einstein

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero, but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
G. K. Chesterton

There is just a few of the many I have found.

signed
rascal :spinstar:

#25 MozartKid71393

MozartKid71393

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

I know it sounds weird, but I get some of my best story ideas in the shower, either that or right before bed. Those times are when I mull over the days events in my head and come up with what I would have said or would have done or what I wanted to have happen. These ideas branch off to more ideas and soon I am plotting what each character will say and the movements they will make.

The only other thing I can say is observe the world around very closely.

#26 malt ynos

malt ynos

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

My advice to aspiring writers is pretty straightforward: 1) Read everything. Read what interests and moves you. Read what challenges you. Read for pleasure. REad for craft. Read instead of watching reality TV. Just read. It might change your life. I know it has mine. 2) Live your life. Writing's all about that, anyway. And no one's living your life, seeing things the way you see them, but you. You are unique, and this is a beautiful, beautiful thing, grasshopper. 3) You can write about anything you like, just don't lie. 4) Have fun, for heaven's sake! It's not brain surgery. You won't kill anyone if you choose the wrong words. You can just fix 'em later. Writing is power. You are in control of it. You are able to say whatever you need to say, long to say, must say. And that is an amazing feeling. ~ Libba Bray

Also, as hard as it is to read, John Scalzi's "Ten Things Teenage Writers Should Know About Writing," found here -> http://www.scalzi.co...ver/004175.html. It's harsh, but it keeps your head from getting overinflated.

#27 Azalea

Azalea

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it!

Forgot who said it, not sure... I got it off when I was chatting to some people.

Azzy :m:

#28 ace_3810

ace_3810

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

"One lead pencil can write over 50,000 words."

#29 MozartKid71393

MozartKid71393

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

Some words of wisdom for writers (excuse the alliteration):

The pen is mightier than the sword.

We are writers, and we never ask one another where we get our ideas; we know we don't know."
~Stephen King

#30 pink*crane

pink*crane

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

I found this quote in a journal my mom got me for Christmas, I LOVE it think it sums up the whole why we write perfectly.:love7:

I write for the same reason I breath-because if I didn't I would die.-Isaac Asimov

#31 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

^^ I like that one!

Here's my own little nugget of wisdom:
For those who live to write, and write to live, it is both a curse and a blessing. The curse is working through hard times, the blessing is finishing something that makes you proud to call it your own.

Sorry, I was feeling philosophical there. :icon_redface:

#32 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

Those two are really good!!!
:D

I feel that way too.

I advice everytone to hear Lisa Kleypas's speach at this years RWA convention.
http://rwanational.o...a_podcasts?id=1
That's the link to it.

#33 ace_3810

ace_3810

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

Just keep writing

#34 female shakespeare

female shakespeare

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Read Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott. It is a book about "writing and life." It's a REALLY amazing book. It isn't a technical how-to book about writing, but it gets you thinking about what it really means to write a story and CREATE a story. It's funny and a good read--it moves quickly and is just a fun read, but also really helpful and gets you thinking beyond just the technical aspects. It gets you in tune with your characters and your writing.

#35 louisacook

louisacook

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Here's one:

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

And another:

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

I like that one. ^^^^

I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener

love

lulu xoxo :icon_queen:

#36 Divalectable217

Divalectable217

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Here's a quote.

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. -William Wordsworth

My grade 5 teacher each gave us a a little wooden box with a quote on it. That was the quote she put on mine. Now I always use that box to put my pens, and pencils for writing in. ^_^

Luv, Diva :spinstar:

Man this is such a drag. :user:

#37 louisacook

louisacook

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:44 AM

Ooh, I like that one Diva! ^^^

It's good, how you should put emotion into your writing

love

lulu xoxo :icon_queen:

#38 Africa15

Africa15

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

No author thinks they are a good writer, they rely on the reviews to tell them ontherwise[size="3"]

#39 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:38 AM

For a great collection of quotes on all aspects of writing ('Writing is Heaven', 'Writing is Hell', 'Writing as Work', 'Writing and Money', 'Writing and Thinking', 'Some Words of Advice', 'About Ideas', 'Truth and Fiction', 'About Characters', 'Creating Drama', 'Emotions and Communication', 'The Reader', 'Feedback', 'About Trying', 'Learning and Editing', and 'Failing and Succeeding'), check out this site: Quotes about Writing.

#40 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

^There are some really good quotes there! My personal favorites after browsing a little:

One nice thing about putting the thing away for a couple of months before looking at it is that you start appreciate your own with. Of course, this can be carried too far. But it's kind of cool when you crack up a piece of writing, and then realize you wrote it. I recommend this feeling.
Steven Brust

Too true. I have done that to myself a couple times. :lol:

It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does.
William Faulkner

Happens to me, too.

Emily :icon_flower:

Save the bees, save the world!

#41 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

^^ Those are too awesome! I can't relate to the first one, but I think the second one happens sometimes.

Like, I didn't start out trying to make my character, Corina, the confident one, but it just sort of seemed necessary when I got to a certain point.

Does that count?

Char
:m:

#42 nomi

nomi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

These quotes are so inspiring! Here's one of mine:

The first draft of anything is s***.
~Ernest Hemingway

A bit harsh but very true. Nothing is perfect the first time, you have to work at it.

And to paraphase the NaNoWriMo founder, Chris Baty:

You are allowed to begin a novel simply by turning on the nearest computer and typing. You don't need to understand the characters or the setting.

Basically the writing process is all glorified and hyped up. You don't need anything. Not plot, not training or complicated flow charts. You just need the drive to write and to keep writing.

#43 Bella Catarina

Bella Catarina

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

^There are some really good quotes there! My personal favorites after browsing a little:

Too true. I have done that to myself a couple times. :lol:
Happens to me, too.

Emily :icon_flower:

Save the bees, save the world!

I love the second one... I feel like that sometimes, with my characters.

Kat

#44 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:56 AM

Ari, that side is awesome

Some of the ones I liked best

For your born writer, nothing is so healing as the realization that he has come upon the right word.
Catherine Drinker Bowen

Reading usually precedes writing and the impulse to write is almost always fired by reading. Reading, the love of reading, is what makes you dream of becoming a writer.
Susan Sontag

I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten - happy, absorbed and quietly putting one bead on after another.
Brenda Ueland

I can’t help but to write, I have a inner need for it. If I’m not in the middle of some literary project, I’m utterly
lost, unhappy and distressed. As soon as I get started, I calm down.
Kaari Utrio

I know that last one to be utterly true, I tried to stop writing like six months ago, 'cause I wanted to focus in school and stuff, and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown before two weeks had passed. Not writing just doesn't work for me.

A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it to be God.
Sidney Sheldon

First, find out what your hero wants. Then just follow him.
Ray Bradbury

Each writer is born with a repertory company in his head and as you get older, you become more skillful casting them.
Gore Vidal

So that explains the voices inside of my head...

#45 bookgirl25

bookgirl25

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Don't be afraid of writing more then one draft.

I've worked on a story with the same concept and was curious at to what it would be like if I took it a different direction, so I wrote two or three different drafts to see which one I liked best.

Make sure you read it at least ten times to make sure you cleaned up your mistakes, then have someone else read it.

Seriously, there is nothing mroe annoying then posting a story and still seeing mistakes! Haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)