• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#46 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Wow. Hey, congratulations! :) Good luck!

#47 cheermeon

cheermeon

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

That's amazing!! :D
Kat :spinstar:

Wow. Hey, congratulations! :) Good luck!

Thanks you guys. I almost thought it was a scam. But since its not I am going to post my agents info:
NAME
Rachel Vater

AGENCY

Folio Literary Management
505 8th Avenue, Suite 603
New York, NY 10018
EMAIL
Rachel at foliolit (dot) com
FICTION GENRES
Literary Fiction | Science Fiction | Chick Lit | Mystery | Commercial Fiction | Fantasy | Young Adult | Thrillers/Suspense

NONFICTION GENRES
Spirituality | Business | Women's Issues | Narrative | Finance | Psychology | Health & Fitness | Cultural/Social Issues
This agent accepts queries
-xx Ash

#48 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks you guys. I almost thought it was a scam. But since its not I am going to post my agents info:
NAME
Rachel Vater

AGENCY

Folio Literary Management
505 8th Avenue, Suite 603
New York, NY 10018
EMAIL
Rachel at foliolit (dot) com
FICTION GENRES
Literary Fiction | Science Fiction | Chick Lit | Mystery | Commercial Fiction | Fantasy | Young Adult | Thrillers/Suspense

NONFICTION GENRES
Spirituality | Business | Women's Issues | Narrative | Finance | Psychology | Health & Fitness | Cultural/Social Issues
This agent accepts queries
-xx Ash

I've searched her name, she's written many books on finding the right literary agent for you!

Well done!

#49 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

That's so awesome!

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous now. ;)

Emily :icon_flower:

#50 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Congrats Ash!!!
I'll buy it. :)

Jennie :happy8:

#51 ~book_worm~13

~book_worm~13

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Do you have to have an agent to get published?

This is a random question, and I'm not sure if it's in the right forum, but it's a question I've had.

:icon_flower: Yz

#52 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

I'm not exactly sure, never having gone through the process myself, but I don't think so. I think most people get a literary agent because it's easier.

:unsure:

#53 monks

monks

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

A lot of "important" publishers like Macmillan or Harper Collins request that you have a literary agent so everything runs smoothly

#54 vampire_kisses_xx

vampire_kisses_xx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Does anybody know over any good publishers in New York City? If so, could you possibly give me there E-mail adresses or mail adresses or web site? Thanks

~May~

#55 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

I'm not exactly sure, never having gone through the process myself, but I don't think so. I think most people get a literary agent because it's easier.

:unsure:

Hi Emily, :mgwave:

Remember me? I read your story "Teardrops on My Guitar" and may I give you a bit of advice. I believe that that story is good enough to be published.

#56 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

Danielle, I'm planning on posting a rewrite soon, so look out for it.

After that... we'll see.

#57 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

Danielle, I'm planning on posting a rewrite soon, so look out for it.

After that... we'll see.

Awesome I soo excited. What will it be titled so I can watch for it?

*Danielle* :mgwave:

#58 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

It will still be Teardrops On My Guitar.

#59 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

It will still be Teardrops On My Guitar.

Ok, let me know and I'll be your number one fan :mgwave:

#60 louisacook

louisacook

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

Hey guys! Congrats to all who has gotten a literary agent!

Just wanted to ask, Jammii, could we possibly send you a cover letter or whatever??

Could you be our literary agent???

Love

lulu xoxo :icon_queen:

#61 michaelmoscovitz'swife127

michaelmoscovitz'swife127

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Self-publishing, in my opinion, is not the way to go if you're seriously looking to make it. First off you're paying money to get your book out there and a lot of self-publishing companies don't edit the story so there are grammer/spelling mistakes.

Secondly, how will you get your book to stores with a self-publisher? They only take your story and put it in a book form, you have to distribute it yourself and because of that you're probably not going to get any of the money you put into it back. Actualyl, you'll be putting all money into it and won't have anything to pay for it since you won't be recieving profit. You'll be paying for marketing your book, trying to get notice for your book, all things that having a publishing company, even a small one, would help you with.

Thirdly, this isn't that big a deal but other writers may not take you seriously. They're struggling to get their novels recognized and you PAY to get yours published few people are going to consider you an actual published writer. You just bought that name for yourself. Admittedly, there are exceptions. I know one guy who self-published but the amount of effort he put into it was ridiculous. I don't know if he's actually turned a profit yet but he's happy with his effort. And the Chicken Little for the Soup people also self-published at first, but they were giving the books away to family and friends and then it became a hit. [I can't find the article about Chicken Soup, sorry]

And also, you will get rejected. Repeatedly. It's hard, and it hurts like hell but it will happen. Even if you think your work is brilliant. Remember to read the books that the company//agent has accepted, see if it's similar to your style or what you're writing about. Find out which publishing houses they query the most often then check out the books that they normally sell. Know your audience. Good luck.

You have to accept rejection like you have no more pencils to write. I sent out a proffesional query letter just today. I didn't get a rejection yet. If you get over 5 rejections, it's either you didn't do your homework or there is something wrong with your query letter.

Check out these books:

Writer's Market 2008

and...

The Writer's Guide to Queries, Pitches & Proposals

and...

Check out these websites:

Helpful Hints on Queries and Literary Agents

and...

You can always email me. ] Click Here!

#62 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hey,

I'm currently writing a story that I think will be good enough to publish. Is there a time limit though?? Like it has to be done in a certain amount of time?? Also, what exactly do I have to do to get published>??

#63 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hey, this is a cool thread.
SO, kind a random, my friend is a great writer and I think I may
want to publish something somday but how much does a literary agent cost?
Like, I don't get how that works.

#64 *HONEY*

*HONEY*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

MUST KNOW STUFF FOR ASPIRING WRITERS:

Agent Blogs
Miss Snark (the writing bible, by the way)
Nathan Bransford
Kristin Nelson (high recommended)
Jenny Rappaport
Bookends Lit (great blog)
The Rejecter
Janet Reid
Jennifer Jackson

Those are the ones I like best. Janet has a killer sense of humor, Nathan's seriously the nicest guy in this industry, Kristin is that kind of agent that anyone would be SO lucky to get, and Jennifer sounds great too.

#65 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:49 AM

Wow, I haven't been on here in over a year and I probably won't be back anytime soon lmao, but figured since I dropped by might as well comment.

First and foremost congrats cheermeon, Rachel Vater is my dream agent, Three of my favourite authors are her clients and I didn't even know until I decided to go to their blogs etc. so that's terrific since she only takes on people with good quality work.

Does anybody know over any good publishers in New York City? If so, could you possibly give me there E-mail adresses or mail adresses or web site? Thanks

There are a bunch on the agent query site, look through it and take notice that for a lot of major pubs if you don't send it via an agent they will probably put you at the bottom of the pile unless you go to a workshop etc. and chat them up and even then only if they request a partial.

Louisacook not sure if you were just kidding lol, but we're not allowed to post emails on here BUT Tephy//SC might be able to create a Query letter workshop like the one we had up on the original MCBC? Well, that was more of a hook workshop, where you posted the blurb opening paragraph for a story you were working on and then people would tell you if they would pick it up based on a scale of 1-5 and why or why not it was working for them.

For this however, I think the person would post their query, personal information blacked out of course and then people can give you feed back on it.

You have to accept rejection like you have no more pencils to write. I sent out a proffesional query letter just today. I didn't get a rejection yet. If you get over 5 rejections, it's either you didn't do your homework or there is something wrong with your query letter.

Not true about that not doing homework//doing something wrong comment. I believe Meg Cabot got over thirty? Nora Roberts got a bunch as well, not saying that your query letter may be perfect but even with a great pitch you'll get rejected. Meg got rejected because they thought the story of a princess wouldn't work with today's teens. So yeah, you get over five rejections it's the norm, just suck it up tweak your book and try again. And also keep writing and improve your skills because what you think is brilliant now won't seem like it after you've perfected your form.

I'm currently writing a story that I think will be good enough to publish. Is there a time limit though?? Like it has to be done in a certain amount of time?? Also, what exactly do I have to do to get published>??

No, there is no time limit, how would the agent know when you finished your book or started it since you won't be sending it until you've actually completed it. And yes, you MUST complete your query before sending because what if they want to see the full manuscript and you just happened to get blocked and can't finish it in time? Not a good look.

To get published you must A)finish a novel B) let the novel sit for a bit then re-read, you will most likely find things you can improve on and then you'll rewrite it c) Edit the novel, this is where you focus on grammar, structuring, plot holes d) you start researching agents//publishing companies you're interested in [this can be done while you are editing] e) hopefully you've gotten someone to read it and then go over it again f)write your query letter g)send your query letter h)while waiting for a response get cracking on your next novel.

Hey, this is a cool thread.
SO, kind a random, my friend is a great writer and I think I may
want to publish something somday but how much does a literary agent cost?
Like, I don't get how that works.

They get a percentage of your books sales, so say you get signed for $5000 [this is just an example, not actual signing amount] then they would get 15% from it, maybe more depending on the agent.

Hope I got everyone, the links Tephy sent will be a lot of help if you read them and browse their sites. Click links, don't be afraid to look around.

I mgiht drop by later next week after exams if I remember and post some more tips on querying.

#66 michaelmoscovitz'swife127

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Agent Blogs
Nathan Bransford
Jenny Rappaport
The Rejecter
Janet Reid
Jennifer Jackson

Those are the ones I like best. Janet has a killer sense of humor, Nathan's seriously the nicest guy in this industry, Kristin is that kind of agent that anyone would be SO lucky to get, and Jennifer sounds great too.

Janet Reid is really funny!
I just finished reading her blog!

#67 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

Agent Blogs
Nathan Bransford
Jenny Rappaport
The Rejecter
Janet Reid
Jennifer Jackson

will they represent me if i'm in australia? because most of them is in the us...

suze

#68 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

i can't believe you have 2 finish a book before sending the first couple chapters off!!!!
i'm only up to chapter 6!!!!
:icon_mecry2:

this is so hard!

suze

#69 *HONEY*

*HONEY*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Dude, if your book is good, they'll rep you even if you're in Antarctica. Though you should know that for instance..

Averages:
Janet Reid = 1 new client out of every 1200 queries, which = 4 new clients a year, not including referrals.
Nathan Bransford = 3 new clients a year, including referrals, which minimizes queries.
Jennifer Jackson = 6 new clients last year, 6 already this year, so she'll probably be very strict about who she takes on, especially from the slush pile.
Kristin Nelson = 30000 queries last year, 80 fulls from those and partials, 8 new clients. She's a tough agent to get, and an AWESOME one, but you have to be really good.

No idea about the others. But really, you have maybe 1/2000 chance of landing an agent nowadays, which is tough, really tough. You have to be omgamazing. Which is why most people try to wait to hone their skills, etc, and very few teenagers land top agents. Don't let it get you down--publishing just takes time.

#70 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

oh my god i did the stupidest thing a few weeks ago and sent a letter to Nathan before i even knew about the whole finishing the story first thing lol!
ofcourse he rejected...lol!
and *HONEY* thatks for the tips!

suze ♥

#71 michaelmoscovitz'swife127

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

I have a question. Does age matter? That thought pondered me for months!

#72 i'm so suze!

i'm so suze!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

no age doesn't matter and if it does just don't state your age on the letter!
if your story is really good they won't care about age!

suze♥

#73 kissmesweet

kissmesweet

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

Well done, Ash! I hope all goes well for you.

And thanks for giving all these great tips so far, guys. Thank you.

#74 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

any god literary agents in DC please?

#75 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

any good literary agents in DC please?

#76 kittyfly

kittyfly

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

question: can I query to an agent in another country? I live in the caribbean and would love to b published in america/britian but I'm not sure if that could work if in not physically in the same country as the agents :S

#77 awkwardchica

awkwardchica

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

I have a question. Does age matter? That thought pondered me for months!

Basically, an agent looks for good writing.
And the way they see it, it does not matter what your age is as long as you can write well.
Being twelve and capable of writing well or ninety-eight, "it mattereth not". :)

Peace
Love
Happiness

Jennie

#78 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

Hi, I have a few questions.

Like, do you have to live near your literary agent?

And how will your age affect your time in the "business"?

see ya!

#79 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hi, I have a few questions.

Like, do you have to live near your literary agent?

And how will your age affect your time in the "business"?

see ya!

1. Nopers, I don't think living near your literary agent is necessary. Phone calls and email will suffice.

2. I don't think your age will affect your time in the business. Granted, we as teens are still growing as writers. Every year, every month, every day we're becoming a better writer because the more you write, the better you get. Unlike being a dancer or model, no matter how old you get, you'll still be able to write. Though I'm a little worried about getting arthritis in my wrists or something. XP

Hope I helped!

- Shakey :-$

#80 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Oh and by the way, since skimming through this thread, I saw some mentions of "does age matter", you're not supposed to put your age in the query letter, anyway.

#81 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

oh my god i did the stupidest thing a few weeks ago and sent a letter to Nathan before i even knew about the whole finishing the story first thing lol!
ofcourse he rejected...lol!
and *HONEY* thatks for the tips!

suze ♥

Nathan rejected me as well. I am halfway done with mine.

#82 the_tall_girl

the_tall_girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm sending one to Janet Reid, even though it's not finished. More like two chapters. But either way, I've never really sent a query (I don't know how to spell it) letter to an agent, and I'm feeling bored. I don't know if she'll go for a story so risqué in so many ways. But what the hell. I'm imagining a different possibilities. 99.999% of me is sure that OBVIOUSLY she'll just discard it. But imagine if she does like it and she goes, "Send me more" and I have nothing. lolz I'd really screw myself up. :P But she won't (like duh) so I've got nothing to lose.

#83 SharpofWit

SharpofWit

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

So in order to sign with an agent do you have to have your full manuscript done? Or just enough? Say, half?

#84 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

So in order to sign with an agent do you have to have your full manuscript done? Or just enough? Say, half?

You have to have completed your full manuscript before you even THINK of sending a query.
And you should also revise, trust me, you'll be suprised how many errors you'll find. No one is perfect.

And thanks, Spell.

#85 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi! Me, yet AGAIN.

Alright, I have a few questions AGAIN.

WHen sending out query letters, what type of paper is best recommended? I know its some type of ivory thing, right??

If any agents ask for your manuscript, how do you send it? Just the pile of papers held together by two rubber bands? Or hole punched?
Or in a binder??

In the query letter, is it like a business letter where you put your information on the top left hand corner then the agent's
information bellow then the actuall body letter??

Is the query letter supposed to be double spaced??

Okay, thank you.

#86 spell_balognax3

spell_balognax3

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi! Me, yet AGAIN.

Alright, I have a few questions AGAIN.

WHen sending out query letters, what type of paper is best recommended? I know its some type of ivory thing, right??

If any agents ask for your manuscript, how do you send it? Just the pile of papers held together by two rubber bands? Or hole punched?
Or in a binder??

In the query letter, is it like a business letter where you put your information on the top left hand corner then the agent's
information bellow then the actuall body letter??

Is the query letter supposed to be double spaced??

Okay, thank you.

What Type of Paper is Best Recommended? "We recommend that you print your one-page query on plain white or ivory stationery paper." - AgentQuery.com. You do not have to send your query by mail, just so you know. You can also send it by e-mail. However, you may not always recieve a rejection e-mail if an agent chooses not to represent you. They simply may not respond. However, if you send a query by snail mail, they will almost always send a formal rejection letter.

How Do You Send the Manuscript? Do not staple the papers. A rubber band is fine. Do not send it in a binder - send it in "a 8"x11" plain white envelope". - AgentQuery.com (With an SASE.)

Query Letter Format? "All text should be flush with the left margin, and single spaced. No paragraph indentations, but a space between each paragraph. Agent's contact information (name, agency, mailing address) should be arranged at the start of your query, flush with the left margin, in accordance with standard business format." - AgentQuery.com

- Shakey

#87 kittyfly

kittyfly

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Big question: I have a novel that I would like to get published by harlequin, (because you know. it's that kind of novel) must I get an agent first or do they accept manuscripts?

AND

question: can I query to an agent in another country? I live in the caribbean and would love to b published in america/britian but I'm not sure if that could work if in not physically in the same country as the agents :S

Please answer if you can!

Much thanks

Ellena

#88 Jesse'sQuerida

Jesse'sQuerida

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

Big question: I have a novel that I would like to get published by harlequin, (because you know. it's that kind of novel) must I get an agent first or do they accept manuscripts?

AND

Please answer if you can!

Much thanks

Ellena

The thing is, if you send your manuscript to a publisher, it has to be PERFECT. I don't think there'll be editors.
But if you send it to a literary agent, however, you have a better chance at improving your novel and everything.
I really, really recomend you get a literary agents.

They'll help you in a lot of ways. Such as getting a book deal, etc.

good luck!!

#89 w/peaches

w/peaches

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

I am so, so grateful for this thread - and this entire writing section of the website! I don't just want to be an author - I need to be one (tee, hee). You see, I can't picture myself doing any other thing in the world, and I can tell this website is going to help a lot when I get to the point where I'm ready to send out a manuscript.

~A~ :user:

#90 thehealthyalternative

thehealthyalternative

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

I'm sending one to Janet Reid, even though it's not finished. More like two chapters. But either way, I've never really sent a query (I don't know how to spell it) letter to an agent, and I'm feeling bored. I don't know if she'll go for a story so risqué in so many ways. But what the hell. I'm imagining a different possibilities. 99.999% of me is sure that OBVIOUSLY she'll just discard it. But imagine if she does like it and she goes, "Send me more" and I have nothing. lolz I'd really screw myself up. :P But she won't (like duh) so I've got nothing to lose.

I don't see why she wouldn't like it.

<3 Petra Iero-Way (author of Demolition Lovers).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users