• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 unfortunatelyfamous1

unfortunatelyfamous1

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

I know a lot of you are really interested in getting your novels published or in entering writing contests for scholarships and stuff. So this thread is for people who would like to post contests from publishers, scholarships they find out about, and other such things. Please DO NOT chat in this thread or have the "thanks!" or anything. People posting in this thread should only post contests or scholarships they would like to share.

But just so we're clear, thanks to everyone who posts in the future!

:D

~Laurs

#2 unfortunatelyfamous1

unfortunatelyfamous1

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

To start things off, I found some writing contests and scholarships some of you might be interested in. Happy writing!

Here are some scholarships and contests I've found:

All-Ink.com Scholarship: The All-Ink.com College Scholarship Program is available to students who are enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.5 GPA. You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to be considered for this award. To apply for this scholarship, you must submit a 50- to 200-word essay on who has had the greatest impact on your life, and a 50- to 200-word essay on what you hope to achieve in your personal and professional life after college.

Deadline: December 31, 2005

Elder and Leemaur Publishers University Writing Scholarship:
The Elder & Leemaur Publishers University Writing Scholarship is available to university students. You must submit an essay no longer than 500 words on one of the topics listed on the sponsor's Web site to be eligible for this award.

Deadline: Dec. 1, 2005
Award: $10,000

Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing: The Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing is available to students who have talent in writing mystery fiction, nonfiction, playwriting or screenwriting. In addition to the application, you must submit a copy of official description of program printed by your institution/sponsor of program, a writing sample, two letters of recommendation and a short essay on your interest in mystery writing. This scholarship is to be used to offset tuition and fees for U.S. workshops, seminars, or university/college-level writing programs.

Deadline: Feb. 26, 2005

Literary Achievement Award - Golden Key National Honor Society: The Literary Achievement Award is open to members of the Golden Key National Honor Society who excel at creative writing. An award will be given in each of the following four categories: fiction, non-fiction, poetry and news/feature writing. All entries must be previously unpublished original works. You must be an undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate student currently enrolled in a degree-granting program to qualify.

Deadline: April 1, 2006

Award: $1000

Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship: The Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship is available to full-time college students enrolled in a university or college in the U.S. or Canada. To be considered, you must submit a 600-800 word essay describing a writer or book you turn to again and again for inspiration and how this influences your writing. You must also be at least 18 years old to qualify.

Deadline: March 1, 2006

Writers of the Future Contest: The Writers of the Future Contest is open to amateur writers. Your entry must be a new short story or novelette with a science fiction, fantasy, horror or speculative fiction theme, that has not been previously published. Poetry and children's literature cannot be accepted for this contest. There are four quarterly deadlines each year (September 30, December 31, March 31 and June 30) with three prizes per quarter of $1000, $750, $500 and a yearly grand prize of $4000 is offered.

Deadline: Varies

Paul Zindel First Novel Award: The award is given annually to the winner(s) of a competition for a work of contemporary fiction set in the United States that reflects the diverse ethnic and cultural heritage of our country. The prize is a book contract on the publisher's standard form, covering world rights including but not limited to hardcover, paperback, e-book and audio book editions with an advance against royalties of $7500 and a $1500 cash prize. The prize is not redeemable for cash or transferable; and no substitution is allowed.

You can also find the entry forms on the website.

There are also some good websites and contests on this site:
http://www.inktreema...ingcontests.htm

#3 Haunted Forever

Haunted Forever

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

I know some good sites that often have contests:

www.teenink.com

and

www.merlynspen.com

~Lucy

#4 **~Willow Snow~**

**~Willow Snow~**

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

Here's a good un

http://www.threeseaslit.com/

Hope it helps!!!!!!!!!!!

luvin y'all loadses
xxx~sabrina~xxx

#5 Katherine, You Psycho

Katherine, You Psycho

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards of 2006

http://www.scholasti...dwritingawards/

I entered last year, but I don't think I am this year.

#6 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

Here's a good place to look for agents that represent the type of manuscript your writing.

Agent Query

They tell you the status of certain agents so you don't waste time sending anything to them if they aren't accepting at the moment.

Meg's agent is there, but she's currently not accepting manuscripts.

#7 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

http://www.randomhou...ritingcontests/

#8 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

PUSH is dedicated to new authors and new voices. These writers tell it like it really is. No preaching. No false endings. No stereotypes or contrivance. Just an honest dose of reality. These books are funny, observant, heartbreaking, and heartstopping.
Just like life.

http://www.thisispus...write/index.asp

#9 **~Willow Snow~**

**~Willow Snow~**

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

Does anyone have anything like the above available to the UK???

xxx~sabrina~xxx

#10 luvbookz4ever

luvbookz4ever

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:12 AM

^^Does any of you know scholarships that are opened worldwide?

#11 administrator

administrator

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Root Admin
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

http://delbourgo.com/query.html

Here are some guidelines on how to write a query letter

#12 Juliette

Juliette

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

www.outercast.com

This a small swedish mahazine publishing short stories from all over the world. The readership is mainly adults. The current topic in "school". The last one was "Insanity", and I got a short story published. You get paid around 10$, or whatever the equivalent in your currency might be, and get a free issue. They don't pay you more, since they're just starting and trying to get people to read them.
Good luck!

#13 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

To those asking about contests world wide, I couldn't find any but if you google contests, and then click for your country it should be able to come up with something.

#14 Murder is my middle name

Murder is my middle name

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

one thing: can anyone help me find somewhere i can enter a writing contest but not get a prize or anything?

#15 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

Are there any scholarships out there for poetry writers?

#16 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

POETRY AWARDS:

http://www.poetrysoc...wards_gdln.html

http://www.weeklyrea...try_contest.asp

#17 *Brazilian Princess*

*Brazilian Princess*

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

I live in Brazil, so I'm not eligible for most of the contests. Does anyone know contests that I can enter?

#18 princess_pretty

princess_pretty

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

are there any for the UK?

#19 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

For everyone...go to google and search writing contests....a ton of sites popped up check one of those

#20 princess_pretty

princess_pretty

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

thanks!

#21 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

your welcome :biggrin:

#22 FAYTE! NO OPINIONS, OK?

FAYTE! NO OPINIONS, OK?

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

Please DO NOT chat in this thread or have the "thanks!" or anything.

Just to let y'all know.

#23 Trevor . the . Toad

Trevor . the . Toad

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

http://sandiego.crai.../150960038.html

#24 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

The Bellwether Prize intends to advocate serious literary fiction that addresses issues of social justice and the impact of culture and politics on human relationships. The Bellwether Prize was founded and is fully funded by Barbara Kingsolver.

The Bellwether Prize for Fiction, awarded in even-numbered years, consists of a $25,000 cash payment to the author of the winning manuscript, and guaranteed publication by a major publisher. The author will collect royalties in accordance with a publisher’s contract.

OPEN TO US WRITERS ONLY

Processing fee

Hobson Foundation offers financial support and resource links to writers who want to make a difference in the world. Their primary goal is to give writers the tools to get published. They offer $800 Dream Grants, a “no strings attached" award in support of writers’ dreams.

OPEN WORLD WIDE, MUST BE 18 or older

[b]Processing Fee

Deadline - Postmarked no later than JUNE 1, 2006[b]

[url=http://www.americanantiquarian.org/artistfellowship.htm] (AAS), a national research library and learned society of American history and culture, sponsors visiting fellowships for historical research by creative and performing artists, writers, film makers, journalists, and other persons whose goals are to produce imaginative, non-formulaic works for the general public dealing with pre-twentieth-century American history.

Those are the general awards, when I have more time I'll post more.

#25 miawriter

miawriter

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

All this stuff is pretty cool. thanks for getting it!

#26 FAYTE! NO OPINIONS, OK?

FAYTE! NO OPINIONS, OK?

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Please DO NOT chat in this thread or have the "thanks!" or anything.

#27 Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

I am currently doing a google search for writing competitions in Aus, and I thought I would put my findings here so you guys can enter too.

Particularly this one --> WA competitions I'm too old :(

Lists of different competitions

This one looks AWESOME

More competitions. Some young writers, some not.

opinionated piece for writers aged 18-28

good luck to anyone who wants to enter.

#28 Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

it's a good idea to read something like this before entering competitions on the net.

#29 snake_princess

snake_princess

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:05 AM

Try this site: it's quite good : www.fanstory.com

#30 Eagleraych623

Eagleraych623

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

Another really good writing contest is called Letters about Literature. In it you write to an author, living or dead, about how their book has changed you or affected you. It is a national contest sponsored by the Library of Congress and Target. Grades 6-12 can enter and there are great awards!

http://www.loc.gov/l...ok/letters.html

#31 jane is boss

jane is boss

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:41 PM

We did that as a project last year in English class, and my friend was one of the Honorable Mentions, I think.

#32 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

UK based contests.

£18,000 WRITER'S BURSARY
Medical Case Notes Assessment Ltd has announced that it is awarding an £18,000 Writer's Bursary to allow an aspiring writer to dedicate up to 12 months writing a work of fiction.

The Bursary is open to everyone and anyone who wants to write. Its aim is to provide the successful candidate with the financial assistance to allow time for writing, with a view to completing the novel within 12 months.

You can write about any subject as long as it is substantially a work of imagination and fiction and you retain full copyright over your work.

This is the first year that they are running the Writer's Bursary and their intention is to award the Bursary on an annual basis.

The closing date for applications is Thursday 30th November 2006 and the successful applicant will be announced on Friday 26th January 2007.

See http://www.medicalca....co.uk/bursary/ for more details.

UH Writing Award
The University of Hertfordshire has launched the UH Writing Award to celebrate creative writing and supporting flourishing new talent.

The UH Writing Award is free to enter. Entrants are invited to submit a short story of up to 3,500 words on the theme of 'vision'.

1st prize £1,000 2nd prize £500 3rd prize £300 4th prize £200

The winner will also be able to apply for the UH Writing Award three-year scholarship to the University of Hertfordshire, study commencing in 2007. Eligibility terms and conditions apply, these can be viewed on the Entry Form.

The top twenty stories will be published in an anthology by the University of Hertfordshire Press.

The Entry Form and Rules can be found here.

Deadline for Entries 15 January 2007

Academi Cardiff International Poetry Competition
The Academi Cardiff International Poetry Competition is open for submissions until 26th January 2007. Poems can be on any subject but should be no more than 50 lines long. Entries cost £5 / $9. There is a first prize of £5,000 / $8,000 with £500 / $870 and £250 / $435 for the second and third prizes respectively.

Previous winners have come from England, America, Canada and Japan and their entries are available to read on the website.

For further information and an entry form please visit www.academi.org.

Undiscovered Authors
Undiscovered Authors is a UK competition in search of new literary talent, offering a £10,000 top prize. There are three categories: General Fiction, Non-Fiction and Academic.

Works on Crime, Sci-fi, Romance, Music, Cookery, Biographies, Home, Garden, Sport, Motoring, Travel, History, Business and Education Guides can all be entered.

Entrants should register on-line and enter a sample chapter and synopsis by 31st January 2007. Visit www.undiscoveredauthors.co.uk to register. Entry is free.

#33 mediatorfan739

mediatorfan739

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

I know this has already been mentioned and it isn't really a contest, but www.teenink.com is always looking for writing and art work to put in their magazine and books if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

#34 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

Do u know a site where i can make my own contest? Please reply asap. im so excited to read stories of future authors.

#35 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:19 AM

You'd have to make your own site. I know there was a girl on here who had done that, but I haven't seen her on here in a while.

#36 wickedmelody

wickedmelody

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

I made a sight though I don't know if you mean me. Hey Jammi...I used to be *sweet_dreamer*.

#37 iluvdavid!!!!423

iluvdavid!!!!423

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

there is a consest on

www.harperteenfanlit.com

try it out there are prizes and everything. Meg is also one of the judges, i think.

~ally

#38 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:38 AM

I made a sight though I don't know if you mean me. Hey Jammi...I used to be *sweet_dreamer*.

Ahh, yes. I'm pretty sure it was you. And for the Harperfanlit hasn't it closed? I thought there was a deadline on when you could join or something.

#39 iluvdavid!!!!423

iluvdavid!!!!423

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

no i dont' think there's a deadline to join.
~ally

#40 wickedmelody

wickedmelody

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

The site got taken away because of stupid people who enjoyed stealing my laptop and messing around with my files.

.:ash:.

p.s. sorry I'm a little bitter about the stupid people

#41 A real all american girl

A real all american girl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hey!! Okay so my creative writing teacher is making us all do this:

National Novel Writing Month!

Write a novel from November 1st till November 30th

It's going to be tough so see if you can do it!

Heres the link:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

-hayhay

#42 nonabugg

nonabugg

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Seventeen Magazines's Fiction Contest 2007 (US) I think I may do this. Entries due by Dec. 31

#43 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

TeenInk offers a yearly trip to London for two weeks of intense writing for 30 girls still highschool (and I think graduating senoirs). The trip for 2007 will be from late June to early July.

There is an application process that all participents much do first and writing samples needed. If you are interested go to: http://teenink.com/S...ndonSummer.html and email them at the email address offered on that page and ask for more information. They will send you and email with how to go about the application process, cost, daily schedule outline, ect.

They accept on a rolling submission so if you interested go take a look!

#44 Pink*Snowflake

Pink*Snowflake

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

Do you have to be in high school in order to apply?

Claire~

#45 Jammi

Jammi

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users