15 replies to this topic

#1 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

It's almost time to go back to school. Let's prepare ourselves by getting the Meg Cabot Forums Book Club going again.

This fall, we'll be reading and discussing Jessica Brody's 52 Reasons To Hate My Father. Here is what Meg said about the book on her blog.

"This book is a riot (but it isn’t all fluff. The heroine ends up being very sympathetic, and learns something important we can all relate to and appreciate)."

You guys are going to love it! Here is the excellent book trailer. So, get the book, start reading, and let us discuss. (PS: The author, Jessica Brody, just might be stopping by to say hi and answer YOUR questions!) And a few lucky readers will win a free book from Jessica!

#2 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi all! I'm super excited that 52 REASONS TO HATE MY FATHER is the book club pick (Thanks, Meg!) I hope you all enjoy it! And yes, I'll be stopping by to answer any questions that you have about the book, life as an author, the latest episode of How I Met Your Mother, whatever! :)

If you want more info about the book including an excerpt: you can find it here: http://www.jessicabr...about-the-book/

I look forward to hearing what you all think!

Thanks!
Jessica

#3 uponalovestory

uponalovestory

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's almost time to go back to school. Let's prepare ourselves by getting the Meg Cabot Forums Book Club going again.

This fall, we'll be reading and discussing Jessica Brody's 52 Reasons To Hate My Father. Here is what Meg said about the book on her blog.

"This book is a riot (but it isn’t all fluff. The heroine ends up being very sympathetic, and learns something important we can all relate to and appreciate)."

You guys are going to love it! Here is the excellent book trailer. So, get the book, start reading, and let us discuss. (PS: The author, Jessica Brody, just might be stopping by to say hi and answer YOUR questions!) And a few lucky readers will win a free book from Jessica!

I just started reading this book yesterday! Loving it so far and the trailer is amazing!! I have a feeling it is going to be hard to put it down.

#4 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

I just ordered it, I hope it comes in time! : D

#5 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I was actually just about to start this book it looks like such a cute read. The summary sort of reminds me of Maid to Order:

#6 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yes! Maid to Order was one of my favorite movies growing up! Definitely influenced by it! :) Great movie!

#7 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Welcome, Jessica! I can't wait to read your book. The trailer is pretty awesome! :)

#8 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

The trailer is spot on. I'm really excited to read this, Jessica. I read The Karma Club a few years ago and remember thinking it was such a cute read that I had to grab 52 Reasons....I'm starting it tomorrow. And so happy you saw Maid to Order it's one of my favorite movies too.

M :)

#9 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Diana! And thanks for the kind words about Karma Club, Starberry! So glad you liked it! :)

#10 admin_ann

admin_ann

Meg Cabot Reader

• Administrators
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Diana! And thanks for the kind words about Karma Club, Starberry! So glad you liked it! :)

Jessica,

I would like to know how you got the idea for 52 Reasons. I know it's such a cliché question! But I am really curious. And I heard you did some research too by working various jobs? Is that right? How did that research help you write the book?

Ann

#11 Jesselover!

Jesselover!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

How can you come up with 52 reasons? and How can you hate your father?:)

#12 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi Ann and Jesse,

Thanks for your questions!

So coming up with this idea is kind of a funny story.

I was sitting in my car, watching a meter maid write someone a parking ticket and I thought, “Wouldn’t it be fun to be a meter maid? But only for like a week. Just to see what it was like.” Then I started to brainstorm all these other jobs I’d like to do for one week. And I decided, “Well, I’m too busy writing novels to actually do all these jobs, so I guess I’ll just have to write a book about someone else who does them.” And then I tried to think of the funniest character to put in that kind of situation and the answer was instant: a spoiled heiress who has never had to work a day in her life. And alas, Lexington Larrabee was born. But really the joke’s on me, because in researching the story, I actually did take on some of the jobs that are in the book! My favorite was working the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant. Those head-sets you have to wear are like something out of Star Trek!

And Jesse...actually I LOVE my father! This is TOTALLY fiction! :) But I do get that question a lot...especially from my father's friends. They give me a hard time about this book ALL the time. But seriously, my dad is the best!

#13 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Oh, and I don't think I answered Ann's last question:

How did the research help me write the book? Well, I especially wanted to research the fast food restaurant because a few really important scenes take place there and i wanted it to be as accurate as possible. Plus, I wanted to know what it would feel like to come into a new restaurant/job and have no idea what you were doing and have to learn it all on the job. So when I went "under cover" in the fast food place, I told the manager I wanted to learn everything in one day and get a little crash course in the restaurant. I have to say I was very overwhelmed. The job wasn't as easy as I thought it would be! And I put some of that emotion into Lexi when she worked there. :)

#14 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I just finished the book and I loved it. I'm really glad that this is this month's pick. One of the things I liked best about the book was how great the writing was. I thought the emotions were really well addressed. Jessica something I'm curious about is how did you decide what jobs to heavily feature in the book? I mean, there are so many great and awful jobs that Lexi has to undergo but some are only talked about briefly in passing in her status updates to Luke (which I loved by the way).

#15 JessicaBrody

JessicaBrody

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just finished the book and I loved it. I'm really glad that this is this month's pick. One of the things I liked best about the book was how great the writing was. I thought the emotions were really well addressed. Jessica something I'm curious about is how did you decide what jobs to heavily feature in the book? I mean, there are so many great and awful jobs that Lexi has to undergo but some are only talked about briefly in passing in her status updates to Luke (which I loved by the way).

Hi Starberry,

First off, thanks for your lovely remarks about the book! I'm so THRILLED that you liked it!

This is a really great question and surprisingly, one I haven't been asked before. So go you!

It's also a tough question. Some of the jobs were more obvious, like the flower delivery because of the purpose it served in the story and Lexi's arc (I won't say what to avoid spoilers!) But I needed a setting where she could accomplish that part of her arc. The others I think I chose based on which would make the most interesting sets and provide the funniest backdrops. I knew the maid job would be a really fun place to watch Lexi try (and fail) and the fast food restaurant I wanted to feature because it's a job a lot of people have done and so I thought it would help some readers relate. And those who had never worked at a fast food restaurant, have probably at least eaten at one. Any scenario that would bring out Lexi's flaws and humor was moved to the top of the list!

Thanks again for reading and for the great question!

Jessica

#16 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

I just finished reading the book today - I know, a little late - but I really liked it.
I liked Lexie right from the start and that was a big plus,
Also liked quite a few of the secondary characters like Rolando and Cooper.

My one "Uh" moment was that I Though her father was let off the hook way too easily, but other than that I loved the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users