• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I love Twilight and I didn't see a Twilight board so....
Anyways, has anyone seen Breaking Dawn? :)

Kelley

#2 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Ah, unfortunately no. :/ But if its still in theaters I actually might be seeing it tomorrow!

And I agree. I loved the twilight books. :)

#3 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Haha, so do I :) I've read each book like 5 times!
I actually saw the movie online... :)

#4 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

I haven't seen the movie yet but I quite liked the book! :) Im planning to see the movie next week.

#5 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

Ah I saw the movie a couple weeks ago! It was pretty good. VERY accurate to the book actually.

#6 direwolf

direwolf

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

i liked the books but the ending of the breaking dawn was mad me.
and the movie are nice but i didnt see the last one

#7 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

The movie was soooo good! :) And I agree, it was very accurate :) Uggh, I want to see it again!

The end of Breaking Dawn was like a happily ever after type of ending :D

#8 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Yall are going to shoot me, but I have no love for the books. I think it's way to dreamy. Meaning, it won't happen. As in, the new girl's the hot guy's crush. I mean besides from the fact that Edward is a vampire.

I also don't think the love triangle being acurate. I think it's different. But made for market for teenage girls wishing for prince charming.

Alex~ :mgicecream:

#9 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

I really liked the books. Not as much now, but I did :D

And of course it's unrealistic! Lol. It's a supernatural romance, that's as dreamy and unreal as it's gonna get! Stephanie Meyer had a great idea, really, and I think she did an amazing job with the books.

I don't like the hate she gets (not saying you're hating, Alex) just because it's so popular...it wouldn't have gotten THIS popular if it sucked.

#10 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

I'm not hating, mere opinion.

But it's so typical! A new girl shows up, and the mysterious cute guy is in love with her! I mean, I think it's so typical. I mean, come on. Every other girl in the world dreams about that.

The difference? A vampire and a werewolf.

The second book wasn't orginal. She jumps off the cliff. Edward thinks she's dead. Can't with without her and plans to murder himself. She finds out, and travels to Italy to save him.

Sound familar?

Yes, I believe Romeo and Juilet.

The third book was leading up to the marriage. Because everyone finds 'The One' at high school.

And the fourth was just a large ending to please readers. Seriously? Jacob's 'One' is Bella's child?

But look, it's only an opinion. And it might not mean anything. But I do think that it's just typical romance, just with vampires and werewolfs. Deaths and births. It won't mean anything to anyone on this site because a lot of people love the books.

And I think that's cool if you love it! It's just not my taste!

Alex~ :m:

#11 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm not hating, mere opinion.

But it's so typical! A new girl shows up, and the mysterious cute guy is in love with her! I mean, I think it's so typical. I mean, come on. Every other girl in the world dreams about that.

The difference? A vampire and a werewolf.

The second book wasn't orginal. She jumps off the cliff. Edward thinks she's dead. Can't with without her and plans to murder himself. She finds out, and travels to Italy to save him.

Sound familar?

Yes, I believe Romeo and Juilet.

The third book was leading up to the marriage. Because everyone finds 'The One' at high school.

And the fourth was just a large ending to please readers. Seriously? Jacob's 'One' is Bella's child?

But look, it's only an opinion. And it might not mean anything. But I do think that it's just typical romance, just with vampires and werewolfs. Deaths and births. It won't mean anything to anyone on this site because a lot of people love the books.

And I think that's cool if you love it! It's just not my taste!

Alex~ :m:

Agreed. And I don't think Stephanie Meyer can write very well either.

-Pretty.Odd.

#12 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Agreed. And I don't think Stephanie Meyer can write very well either.

-Pretty.Odd.

See, I never understand when people say that... I read her books in eighth grade, so maybe I just didn't realize it because I was stupid then, but what made her writing bad? All I remember is that she managed to convey the plot and feelings nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it all... Did I miss something? lol. Was it technically bad or just bland?

I'm not dissing on anyone's opinion. I'm just curious as to why some people didn't enjoy the books. I get that sometimes it's just matter of taste and preference.

#13 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yall are going to shoot me, but I have no love for the books. I think it's way to dreamy. Meaning, it won't happen. As in, the new girl's the hot guy's crush. I mean besides from the fact that Edward is a vampire.

I also don't think the love triangle being acurate. I think it's different. But made for market for teenage girls wishing for prince charming.

Alex~ :mgicecream:

Haha, I agree with you that it's all dreamy, but I still love the books :)

#14 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

See, I never understand when people say that... I read her books in eighth grade, so maybe I just didn't realize it because I was stupid then, but what made her writing bad? All I remember is that she managed to convey the plot and feelings nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it all... Did I miss something? lol. Was it technically bad or just bland?

I'm not dissing on anyone's opinion. I'm just curious as to why some people didn't enjoy the books. I get that sometimes it's just matter of taste and preference.

Yeah, I don't understand either. I mean, it's not a bad series, it's just... unrealistic.
I read the books in 6th grade :D

#15 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Nah, I enjoy discussing this kind of stuff, and I have a... very strong opinion on Twilight.

I personally am not a fan of Meyer's writing style; bland is a great way to put it, and it's just not a "style" (I hope you understand what I mean by this, seeing as it could be taken in multiple ways) I like. At all. She's far too wordy for my taste.

Her characters are all very irritating to me (totally personal taste; I may just be weird, but I do not like any of her characters, lol), and Edward is pretty much what I'd like to describe as "the epitome of utter perfection" - something that should be avoided at all costs. Of course, the book IS written from Bella's POV, so her ideas and images of people are stated as a certain character would think of them as. And I'm sure she's trying to convey the feeling of total lovesickness, but it comes off as very irritating and makes me want to put the book down.

When I read the climax of Twilight (I didn't read the other books in the saga; I couldn't take it anymore, lol) seemed very... not good, to put it simply. I read it and said, "Wait, that was the CLIMAX?" The climax, to me, is - if you were like me, a person who rereads random sections of books all the time - the moment that you'd immediately choose to reread first. The climax of Twilight was the complete opposite. I enjoyed many other parts of the book much more.

Don't get me wrong; Twilight is a nice love story. But it's not really my taste, and the writing is just... no. Not for me. ;D

-Pretty.Odd.

#16 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

I don't mind the books, but I can't freaking stand Bella. All she thinks about all day is Edward.
And who the hell is "Lauren"?

I agree with Pretty.Odd. Waayy too wordy.

Also I hear of like 10-12 year olds reading it.. Um?! First of all, they won't pick up on the mistakes, and they'll think they're correct! Also, they're waay to young to be reading that!

Sorry, twilight is not for me.

xoxo

#17 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Quick mention-- Alex Reads Twilight on YouTube? Yeah, the best thing ever :P

#18 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Alex reads Twilight had me in tears. Fricken hilarious.

xoxo

#19 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the books were the depressing parts and Bella's constant blaming-everything-on-herself crap. Otherwise I loved it. :D Not afraid to admit it. I mean I haven't read the books in a while so I don't know but I'm sure I would've noticed if the writing was bad...

But hey, I'm with Jamie. Everyones entitled to their opinion. :)

And omigosh. Alex reads Twilight cracked me up! :lol:

#20 Gee{or}jah

Gee{or}jah

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

Okayy, Imma add my opinion too.

So I read all four twilight books in one day while I was sick a like 4.5 years ago, at the time I thought they were amazing. Really, I did.

Then I read them again like a month later. Bella got on my nerves a bit and I though she was a little pathetically in love with Edward. And Edward creeped me out with his possessiveness. But still, I thought It was a cool idea.

When the first movie came out though, I really disliked it. It seemed so.. Bland? But hey, I got over that I even own all the dvd's. Ha.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked the books, I tolerate the movies and I think some of the super-crazy-I-am-going-to-get-the-stars-faces-tattooed-on-my-body fans of the books are just bat crap crazy but over all, I think they are worthwhile, but they got blown way out of preportion with the movies.

However, this is just my, abit, slightly confusing opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

#21 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I liked Twilight, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. No offense, but I sort of hated New Moon

#22 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

That's just so hilarious! :D

#23 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

When I first read Twilight I liked it despite the fact I found the book had many faults. It was a bit boring and Bella was a bit obnoxious in the depressed/weak sort of way. But I loved the action sequences and liked the idea of the forbidden romance and kept reading. New Moon, I liked a lot less. Jake got on my nerves, Bella was more than a little annoying-I wanted her parents to get her psychological help, there's no need to be that hung up on someone that you because delusional- yet I kept reading it because I thought the ending lead promise for an interesting book. Which lead me to Eclipse which was my actual favorite book of the series, despite Bella's toying with Jake. I remember being so excited for the last one, yet once I read Breaking Dawn I felt betrayed. I know that sounds weird considering I don't know Stephenie Meyer personally and their just books. But I couldn't believe what I was reading. I could handle the pregnancy. Grant it, there was not really an explanation for it (I actually found it a bit sexist in a way that male vampires could reproduce but not female vamps). But the way the entire pregnancy was handled and then Jack imprinting on that child who was given that awful name, just made me want to put the book down. No offense to Nessie/Jake fans, but that pairing just makes me feel more than a little squeamish. She's a baby after all. Still though, even given those misgivings I liked the books. However, looking at the series upon reflection and after watching the movies I don't get what my former appeal to it was. Bella is obnoxious. There's nothing redeemable about her, she's a Mary Sue (not an imperfect bone in her body). And Edward just comes off creepy to me now. They're relationship is unhealthy too. Bella depends way too much on Edward and both could have done better for themselves. And when I mean better, I don't mean Jake. He was just too immature, not to mention I view him more and more as a pervert even though I know that his relationship with Nessie won't be sexual until she's fully grown. But she'll be fully grown at six and that just makes me shudder honestly.

Honestly, maybe I just got involved in the books so much because of the hype. Like I had to like Twilight because it was the next big thing after Harry Potter. Shrugs. Would I read another book by Stephenie Meyer: probably if the plot amused me. I noticed some people were commenting on her writing. I remember there were more than a few grammar errors in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn and I think that was because the limited time the book was copy edited which wasn't Stephenie's fault. Instead, it was her publisher's fault for not taking the time to edit the books with a critical eye and instead publish it to cash out on it. Actually, I think a lot more editing would've helped the series. I read somewhere that originally the series was suppose to end with Eclipse and I think that would've been better given how big of a let down the climax of Breaking Dawn was. I also think in addition to helping the plot and the grammar issues that many have pointed out, it would've helped with the sometimes too flowery language that the books had.

Overall, I think the Twilight Saga had lots of potential and it was a great gateway that opened me up to reading vampire fiction (used to wasn't so into those sorts of books because when I think of vampire I automatically think of horror which I don't like) but Twilight was different. And it helped other great vampire books come along, like one of my favorite vampire series (Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz). While I wouldn't exactly reread it again anytime soon, I appreciate it for what it's worth.

Just my thoughts,

M :)

#24 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hey, you might wanna check out this video: [link]

I think she proves some pretty good points. What do you'se think?

xoxo

#25 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hey, you might wanna check out this video: [link]

I think she proves some pretty good points. What do you'se think?

xoxo

I think the video eloquently spoke a lot of the issues I have with the book besides those I pointed out in my post above. The relationship between those two just seems forced and it does come off as abusive at times, like New Moon. I know Edward was doing what he thought was best, but that really was emotional abuse leaving Bella broken like that. I honestly, did not like the way that whole situation in that book was handled. As previously mentioned, I really wish that Charlie and Rene would have sought professional help for Bella instead of Charlie pushing her towards Jake. Essentially Jake was just a band-aid to cover up a bad situation. You don't fix emotional damage by jumping into a new relationship right away, that can only cause more problems. And essentially it did with Bella's little motorcycle hijinks and cliff diving. I also think Jake was just as abusive as Edward but in a different way. Both were controlling when it came to what Bella did. She really didn't have a brain of her own, so to speak. Also, is it just me or did the relationships in this book seem a bit superficial. I mean, Bella and Edward fall in love instantly- well, after months of Edward trying to ignore her to "protect" her. And Jake always had a thing for Bella too, but she didn't notice him until he got hot. Honestly, I think I would've liked the series more if Bella wouldn't have accepted Edward back right away but made peace with herself being single. Just my thoughts.

M

#26 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

@starberry
Yeah, I felt the same about New Moon... Jake really got on my nerves

#27 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Oh, well
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :D

#28 nbgirl

nbgirl

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

I am not a very big fan of twilight either. I didn't like the first book and found it very hard to get into- it was just so predictable- new girl likes mysterious guy who notices her as well. This Guy is good vampire,bad vampire tries to kill girl,good vampire saves her etc etc. I didn't fall in love with the characters.
New moon was much better,I liked that Edward went away and it took a different direction. Eclipse I can barely remember.Breaking dawn has to be my favourite and I did actually enjoy it but the ending...I mean it was just so anti-climatic; after preparing the army to fight the voluturi,they just met up for a chat and everyone went home! I do love happy endings but it could've still been more exciting and still end happily. It was all too perfect for me. But that's just my opinion.

#29 Rosalie

Rosalie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey guys! :)
I love Twilight!
I thought the first book was amazing, and same with Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. (Even though the series is like Fantasy)
New Moon was okay. Jacob got on my nerves a bit. lol
Who are your fav. characters?

I love Rosalie, Edward, Alice, Emmett, Renesmee, Esme, and Bella

#30 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure... I have a whole lot of fav. characters. :P But I especially LOVE Alice, Bella, Edward and Jane :P

#31 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

I LOVE CHARLIE!!! Haha. And I always liked Alice and Emmett :D Carlisle (sp?) was pretty cool too. Or at least his whole story was.

#32 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I LOVE CHARLIE!!! Haha. And I always liked Alice and Emmett :D Carlisle (sp?) was pretty cool too. Or at least his whole story was.

Haha I agree! Especially in the movies. :) Charlie anyway.

-MEG

#33 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

Ooh! I love Carlisle! :P
I love Peter Facinelli's blue eyes

#34 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I did kinda like the Twilight books, but only the first three. I really don´t like Breaking Dawn. What I liked about the first books was that romantic feeling, the dreamy atmosphere and how the author portrayed love as something that just happens. I really liked that. It will never happen in real life but it was just a book and it read somewhat like a dark fairytale. But the last book totally broke the spell: Too much graphic descriptions, that ruined the dreamy feeling of the books, and the characters didn´t seem to be themselves. The book kind of made me hate all the books for a while but I managed to forget about it by now. :P I guess, I´m not going to see the fourth movie.

#35 romanceluva11

romanceluva11

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I loved the romantic feeling in the first three. So I guess I sort of agree with you, although I still loved Breaking Dawn. :P

#36 pinkruby234

pinkruby234

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I get that people don't like twilight. But I don't get the reasons... I mean come on! If you say it unrealistic... It's kinda supposed to be.. I mean it's a BOOK! And the thing is.. If you don't like it then why don't you leave it alone? I'm not trying to come off as mean or anything like that but I've beefed understood how when people will not like something but then they'll keep on bringing it up (like say, watching trailers, starting and restarting arguements about the topic) just so that they can say bad things about it. Personally, when I FIRST read it I LOVED it. I mean LOVE. Like obsession type love. But it slowly started wearing off and now, well, I'll watch the movies and interviews but I'm not THAT big with it anymore. And I do totally agree with whoever says Bella comes off as anooyijg sometimes. But whenever people say Edward is too perfect.... Well that's sorta the point. I mean if you look back at the books you'll find tons of parts where Bella's saying he's too perfect and she doesn't get why he chose her. But I guess everyone has their own opinion! So ya...

#37 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well I LOVE the movie. :heartbeat:
I haven't read the books though.

#38 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

I get that people don't like twilight. But I don't get the reasons... I mean come on! If you say it unrealistic... It's kinda supposed to be.. I mean it's a BOOK! And the thing is.. If you don't like it then why don't you leave it alone? I'm not trying to come off as mean or anything like that but I've beefed understood how when people will not like something but then they'll keep on bringing it up (like say, watching trailers, starting and restarting arguements about the topic) just so that they can say bad things about it. Personally, when I FIRST read it I LOVED it. I mean LOVE. Like obsession type love. But it slowly started wearing off and now, well, I'll watch the movies and interviews but I'm not THAT big with it anymore. And I do totally agree with whoever says Bella comes off as anooyijg sometimes. But whenever people say Edward is too perfect.... Well that's sorta the point. I mean if you look back at the books you'll find tons of parts where Bella's saying he's too perfect and she doesn't get why he chose her. But I guess everyone has their own opinion! So ya...

Because I've read it and like to discuss my opinion good or bad and am trying to figure out what my problems are with it. And it's a big part of YA literature and just culture in general so that's why I talk about it. Plus, I have an English degree so I was sort of trained to talk about books I've read. I honestly don't hate Twilight, especially when I first read it. However, since the publication of the fourth book and reread them when the movies came out I've sort of rethought everything through. I should also mention though I've read worse much worse and am reading something far, far more worse now. And even though it's fiction, fiction is based in part on reality (FYI you write what you know). Socially there are some big issues with Twilight. Anyway, here's what my issues are with it and maybe it will make you understand why I and others have such a huge problem with it.

1) The characters were not well fleshed out.

A) Bella was a weak female lead. She had no goals other than to love Edward. Romantic, yes. But as the books progressed their relationship became progressively unhealthy. Is it a good thing to become a total zombie when your boyfriend dumps you? No. Not even if he is the supposed love of your life especially after dating for only three months. Yes, you have the right to be sad, but at the same time you need to get your life together. It's not just in New Moon that I find Bella's action repugnant. In Eclipse the codependency continues but add the weird bond with Jake she has to it. I feel like she was such a tease with Jake and I'm not even a Jake fan. Besides this, I could not understand for the life of me why she didn't have ambitions outside of Edward. Yeah, it's cool she loves him that much, but her life shouldn't be about just him. She's only eighteen. She should be excited about college. But college was always sloshed over in the series. When you think about it, we don't know what Bella's interest are besides Edward. Couldn't she have a hobby or something? The characters in Meg's books have great love lives and they usually have other things going on in their life too (i.e. Mia had her writing, Jess had her flute) why couldn't Bella have a hobby or something?

B) Edward: Honestly, he's abusive. He doesn't hit Bella, but he is an emotional abuser. In the first book, he played weird mind games with her for a large part of the novel. Yes, he couldn't reveal who he was, but he should've stayed away. In the second novel, he was just horrible towards her. I really wish Bella wouldn't have taken him back or at least delayed taking him back. He should've communicated his fears rather than just dumping her in the woods. That was wrong beyond belief and no I don't care about the he was protecting her argument. In Eclipse, he was over protective to the point of being controlling..i.e. the disabling the truck thing... and this continued on in Breaking Dawn. oh my god Breaking Dawn that book...shudders....Edward's reaction to the spawn was pretty repugnant. I can't believe he asked Jacob to have puppies with Bella.

C) Jacob: Pushy, just doesn't take no for an answer. And the imprinting, oh the imprinting. It's not sweet. It's perverted. That poor baby has no choice in who she gets to be with just because Jacob set his eyes on her and declared that they belonged together. Don't see how this is wrong. Especially since he spent the past two books trying to get into said baby's mother's pants. Despite the fact he knew that Bella was in a relationship. He even as far as to forcing himself on her (I.E. kissing her) a couple of times.

D) Reneseme; She should've never existed. Period. And I really wish if she did exist she wouldn't have been the perfect child and she would've had a name that wasn't made up and she wasn't essentially betrothed to Jake.

2) The Mythology Made No Sense: When I read the first three books I liked the mythology Meyer created but everything went wackadoodle in the fourth book. I don't buy her argument about how vampires can have baby's. Especially since only men vampires can have them. That does not make sense. At all. If men vamps can have kids, so should women otherwise it's sexist if you think about it.

3) Portrayal of relationships

A) Instant Love: I did not like how Bella and Edward's relationship started. I don't believe that someone can simply start dating because they think each other looks good. Date maybe. But fall into the sort of loves these kids have, not really.

B) Control: Edward is a control freak as previously mentioned, I find this to be borderline emotionally abusive. And Bella was passive aggressive in their relationship, hence her dalliance with Jake. These two factors make for a volatile relationship

C) Teen Marriage and Pregnancy: No just no. While I'm sure some teen marriages with kids work out, I think Twilight showed too idyllic of version of how motherhood and marriage really is. Some fights and struggles would've been helpful. That's what I was really hoping for with the fourth book, but instead we got Sneezie (I mean, Reneseme) Plus, I should mention in the first book Bella explicitly said she didn't want kids, why would she change her mind so fast? She should've at least doubted her skills as a mother.

I have more problems with the book, but aren't going to list them here because I'm sure I am boring you to death by now. As I said before Twilight isn't the worst portrayal of a relationship I've seen in YA fiction, but it has opened the flood gates to these sorts of stories. I can understand and appreciate why people like the series, but I think you have to look at it in the perspective that it has it's problems and that Edward and Jacob have some major flaws.

#39 pinkruby234

pinkruby234

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Because I've read it and like to discuss my opinion good or bad and am trying to figure out what my problems are with it. And it's a big part of YA literature and just culture in general so that's why I talk about it. Plus, I have an English degree so I was sort of trained to talk about books I've read. I honestly don't hate Twilight, especially when I first read it. However, since the publication of the fourth book
and reread them when the movies came out I've sort of
rethought everything through. I should also mention
though I've read worse much worse and am reading
something far, far more worse now. And even though it's
fiction, fiction is based in part on reality (FYI you write what
you know). Socially there are some big issues with
Twilight. Anyway, here's what my issues are with it and maybe it will make you understand why I and others have such a huge problem with it.

1) The characters were not well fleshed out.

A) Bella was a weak female lead. She had no goals other than to love Edward. Romantic, yes. But as the books progressed their relationship became progressively unhealthy. Is it a good thing to become a total zombie when your boyfriend dumps you? No. Not even if he is the supposed love of your life especially after dating for only three months. Yes, you have the right to be sad, but at the same time you need to get your life together. It's not just in New Moon that I find Bella's action repugnant. In Eclipse the codependency continues but add the weird bond with Jake she has to it. I feel like she was such a tease with Jake and I'm not even a Jake fan. Besides this, I could not understand for the life of me why she didn't have ambitions outside of Edward. Yeah, it's cool she loves him that much, but her life shouldn't be about just him. She's only eighteen. She should be excited about college. But college was always sloshed over in the series. When you think about it, we don't know what Bella's interest are besides Edward. Couldn't she have a hobby or something? The characters in Meg's books have great love lives and they usually have other things going on in their life too (i.e. Mia had her writing, Jess had her flute) why couldn't Bella have a hobby or something?

B) Edward: Honestly, he's abusive. He doesn't hit Bella, but he is an emotional abuser. In the first book, he played weird mind games with her for a large part of the novel. Yes, he couldn't reveal who he was, but he should've stayed away. In the second novel, he was just horrible towards her. I really wish Bella wouldn't have taken him back or at least delayed taking him back. He should've communicated his fears rather than just dumping her in the woods. That was wrong beyond belief and no I don't care about the he was protecting her argument. In Eclipse, he was over protective to the point of being controlling..i.e. the disabling the truck thing... and this continued on in Breaking Dawn. oh my god Breaking Dawn that book...shudders....Edward's reaction to the spawn was pretty repugnant. I can't believe he asked Jacob to have puppies with Bella.

C) Jacob: Pushy, just doesn't take no for an answer. And the imprinting, oh the imprinting. It's not sweet. It's perverted. That poor baby has no choice in who she gets to be with just because Jacob set his eyes on her and declared that they belonged together. Don't see how this is wrong. Especially since he spent the past two books trying to get into said baby's mother's pants. Despite the fact he knew that Bella was in a relationship. He even as far as to forcing himself on her (I.E. kissing her) a couple of times.

D) Reneseme; She should've never existed. Period. And I really wish if she did exist she wouldn't have been the perfect child and she would've had a name that wasn't made up and she wasn't essentially betrothed to Jake.

2) The Mythology Made No Sense: When I read the first three books I liked the mythology Meyer created but everything went wackadoodle in the fourth book. I don't buy her argument about how vampires can have baby's. Especially since only men vampires can have them. That does not make sense. At all. If men vamps can have kids, so should women otherwise it's sexist if you think about it.

3) Portrayal of relationships

A) Instant Love: I did not like how Bella and Edward's relationship started. I don't believe that someone can simply start dating because they think each other looks good. Date maybe. But fall into the sort of loves these kids have, not really.

B) Control: Edward is a control freak as previously mentioned, I find this to be borderline emotionally abusive. And Bella was passive aggressive in their relationship, hence her dalliance with Jake. These two factors make for a volatile relationship

C) Teen Marriage and Pregnancy: No just no. While I'm sure some teen marriages with kids work out, I think Twilight showed too idyllic of version of how motherhood and marriage really is. Some fights and struggles would've been helpful. That's what I was really hoping for with the fourth book, but instead we got Sneezie (I mean, Reneseme) Plus, I should mention in the first book Bella explicitly said she didn't want kids, why would she change her mind so fast? She should've at least doubted her skills as a mother.

I have more problems with the book, but aren't going to list them here because I'm sure I am boring you to death by now. As I said before Twilight isn't the worst portrayal of a relationship I've seen in YA fiction, but it has opened the flood gates to these sorts of stories. I can understand and appreciate why people like the series, but I think you have to look at it in the perspective that it has it's problems and that Edward and Jacob have some major flaws.

All right, Im gonna go ahead and tell the truth: that actually helped a LOT! I finally get it... I don't like it but I get it. And actually what you said about being bored to death is totally wrong! I mean I was actually... Well, how do I put this.....? I guess what I can say is I was totally understanding your point in your arguement. And you are right about a lot of things in there but I do love twilight and I'm pretty sure I always will. I guess it's because when it comes to books... Well for me, if I like it, I don't care if it makes sense or not. I guess twilight is just more of a "it depends on who you are and what you like" type of series. In a way it's kinda made so that some people like it... And others don't
Oh and by the way, thanks for answering!

#40 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

All right, Im gonna go ahead and tell the truth: that actually helped a LOT! I finally get it... I don't like it but I get it. And actually what you said about being bored to death is totally wrong! I mean I was actually... Well, how do I put this.....? I guess what I can say is I was totally understanding your point in your arguement. And you are right about a lot of things in there but I do love twilight and I'm pretty sure I always will. I guess it's because when it comes to books... Well for me, if I like it, I don't care if it makes sense or not. I guess twilight is just more of a "it depends on who you are and what you like" type of series. In a way it's kinda made so that some people like it... And others don't
Oh and by the way, thanks for answering!

No problem. And I understand why you like the books. I loved them at one point too. And I will always be grateful to Twilight for opening me up more to paranormal romances and getting other authors who deserved to be published, published. by the way, if you like the love triangle type of thing in Twilight you might want to check out Cynthia Hand's Unearthly. To me that book is how Twilight should've been written, except it's about angels instead of vampires. As for good vampire fiction out there I highly recommend Blue Bloods.

M :)

#41 Rosalie

Rosalie

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

I also think Renesmee shouldn't have existed. I don't like how she grew up so fast and all that

#42 Jesselover!

Jesselover!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Kelley

I love Twilight so much I have all the books and a big blanket of edward and a ping pong paddle also i have over 23 posters EDwards so HOT!!! I have all the movies too i love breaking dawn movie so aeusome!

Edited by Jesselover!, 22 May 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#43 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Okay, I know I should've posted this a while ago, but I'm saying it now due to the recent viral popularity of the Fifty Shades series (which I will get to later!).

Twilight and the rest of the novel are not exactly literary magic. I honest to God don't know why or how they became so popular, although I believe that the movie did play an important factor in making the series even better known.

There is no doubt that Meyer can write, but write a good story? Well she gets some points for creativity with the whole idea of Volturi, the rules of vampires blah blah, but everything else? Puh-lease!

I was honestly shocked when I watched the film (I watched the first movie, then read all four books, then watched the rest) and really thought about the plot. Bella Swan (because of course that's what her name would be *eye roll*) is a plain, average girl who is no different from anyone else, except that Edward, a decade old vampire, can't read her mind and think she smells good. Because of those two reasons, he goes out of his way to simultaneously stalk/avoid her at all costs, until she *realises* what he is and decides to tell him that she wants him too. OF no, she's not scared or freaked out or really worried, because the whole thing is just so romantic! That's sarcasm, is you didn't get where I was headed...

Throughout the rest of the novel, after Edward declares that Bella is the *one* for him and she simply accepts (deciding that she is undeniably and irrevocably in love with him after, I dont know, a week) it all, they face the problem of the vampires who want to kill her. Oh Bella is such a strong and independant heroine, isn't she? She manages to almost get herself killed at various points, bringing immense danger to all those around her, but it's all good by the end because Edward, her hero, saves her!

And isn't Edward just a perfect guy? An old vampire who shines like freaking diamonds in the sunlight and is just so good looking that it doesn't matter that he has no other redeeming qualitities other than the fact that he now loves Bella!

The other novels become a little more interesting, I suppose, because Bella is forced to figure out what she has in her life besides Edward. Of course there's another guy vying for her attention, because she's just so social and has such a big personality, doesn't she?

But all in all, now that I have read books that are much worse (the books based on a fanfiction of these...), I can see why young girls would be attracted to this literay rubbish. The whole series is immensely romanticised and made out to be deeper than it actually is. Then having a hot guy play Edward in the movie just makes us all want to see it even more and maybe wish that we would have our very own vampire!

I'll admit, even I was drawn to watching it and enjoying watching Rob on the screen, forgetting the bad plot just so I could enjoy staring at him :P

Now don't hate me girls, but come on, can you really tell me that these books show amazing writing skills and creativity? It's okay to enjoy the series, but when I hear people tell me that they are so great, I just get really frustrated. But then again, it just goes to show that almost anyone can get something published.

:heartbeat: Suze

#44 krisj2009

krisj2009

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Okay, I know I should've posted this a while ago, but I'm saying it now due to the recent viral popularity of the Fifty Shades series (which I will get to later!).

Twilight and the rest of the novel are not exactly literary magic. I honest to God don't know why or how they became so popular, although I believe that the movie did play an important factor in making the series even better known.

There is no doubt that Meyer can write, but write a good story? Well she gets some points for creativity with the whole idea of Volturi, the rules of vampires blah blah, but everything else? Puh-lease!

I was honestly shocked when I watched the film (I watched the first movie, then read all four books, then watched the rest) and really thought about the plot. Bella Swan (because of course that's what her name would be *eye roll*) is a plain, average girl who is no different from anyone else, except that Edward, a decade old vampire, can't read her mind and think she smells good. Because of those two reasons, he goes out of his way to simultaneously stalk/avoid her at all costs, until she *realises* what he is and decides to tell him that she wants him too. OF no, she's not scared or freaked out or really worried, because the whole thing is just so romantic! That's sarcasm, is you didn't get where I was headed...

Throughout the rest of the novel, after Edward declares that Bella is the *one* for him and she simply accepts (deciding that she is undeniably and irrevocably in love with him after, I dont know, a week) it all, they face the problem of the vampires who want to kill her. Oh Bella is such a strong and independant heroine, isn't she? She manages to almost get herself killed at various points, bringing immense danger to all those around her, but it's all good by the end because Edward, her hero, saves her!

And isn't Edward just a perfect guy? An old vampire who shines like freaking diamonds in the sunlight and is just so good looking that it doesn't matter that he has no other redeeming qualitities other than the fact that he now loves Bella!

The other novels become a little more interesting, I suppose, because Bella is forced to figure out what she has in her life besides Edward. Of course there's another guy vying for her attention, because she's just so social and has such a big personality, doesn't she?

But all in all, now that I have read books that are much worse (the books based on a fanfiction of these...), I can see why young girls would be attracted to this literay rubbish. The whole series is immensely romanticised and made out to be deeper than it actually is. Then having a hot guy play Edward in the movie just makes us all want to see it even more and maybe wish that we would have our very own vampire!

I'll admit, even I was drawn to watching it and enjoying watching Rob on the screen, forgetting the bad plot just so I could enjoy staring at him :P

Now don't hate me girls, but come on, can you really tell me that these books show amazing writing skills and creativity? It's okay to enjoy the series, but when I hear people tell me that they are so great, I just get really frustrated. But then again, it just goes to show that almost anyone can get something published.

:heartbeat: Suze

Look, I do agree with you on some things. The guy who played Edward Cullen in the movie? SO not hot. He didn't quite fit in with the book's edward cullen either. In the movie, he was portrayed as moody and gloomy. In the book, his personality was totally different.

Plus have you read Midnight Sun? It puts a different perspective on things as well.

Sometimes the romantic part of books needs to be played up more than it really is to keep it's readers interested.Look at Romeo and Juliet. Soppy, Sappy... but we girls fell for it anyway. I love it despite the fact that it is soppy and sappy and I know I should not.

Some stuff WAS a bit exaggerated like Edward's depression in New Moon :icon_mecry2: . I didnt get how they could be so in love after so short a time.

I have to disagree with you on the plot though. I found it very interesting and was on the edge of my seat in breaking dawn when SPOILER ALERT Bella became a vampire and discovered her powers and when the volturi :badgrin: paid them a 'visit' to dispense 'justice' and I found myself grinning when Jane and Alec's talents were deemed useless thanks to Bella's mental shield.

It's not the best series I've ever read although I thought so for a while after I'd closed the final chapter on Breaking Dawn. After the after-effects of finishing a book/ series you loved had worn off, I saw the finer cracks in the black and white cover.

#45 Booklover99

Booklover99

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Kelley

I saw it the day after it came out so awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users