• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#91 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

I stopped with Wish- I just couldn't do it. Not because it's bad but because I'd be running a contest with it and I just don't have the money right now. Plus, I wasn't that into it anyway. I'll come back to it later.

Wake Unto Me was pretty creepy too but really interesting and had some wonderful twists in it. It'll be out in stores as a paperback on March 31. I just started reading Shadow Walkers by Brent Hartinger and re-reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson to prepare for the sequel that'll be out in a few months.

#92 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm finally going to start with The Treasure Map of Boys :D

#93 Cockatoo

Cockatoo

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:01 AM

I just finished Getting Revenge On Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook. And I'm reading Zombies VS Unicorns (Team Zombies!) aswell as Evil Genius :badgrin:
:icon_study:

:aiwebs_014:
Ta,
Amelia

#94 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Clavie- Treasure Map of Boys is awesome. Do you like it so far?

I'm reading The Locket by Stacey Jay right now, and then Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes.

#95 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I'm reading The Locket by Stacey Jay right now, and then Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes.

How is the locket I bought that along with Prom and Prejudice and I Am Number Four this week.

M :)

#96 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

I feel bad I don't read as many books as you guys. Haha. :)

But I finished Prom and Prejudice. SO good. I woke up, grabbed the book from my desk, and refused to get out of bed until I read it. :)

Oh, and I read It's not summer without you . I also refused to go to bed when I was reading that one. :D

Aaaand I found this awesome bookstore in town that has all these used books for the best prices. SO COOL! I wish I'd known about this place when I went through my expensive book phase...

#97 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Starberry: Let me know how I Am Number Four is! I almost got it the other day but didn't. I don't know anyone who has read it.

#98 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

I met the author of Prom and Prejudice, Elizabeth Eulberg, at a book event last night. I bought the book last month, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I hope to read it soon.

#99 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

I didn't even realize, when I heard about Prom and Prejudice, that it was by Elizabeth Eulberg. The Lonely Hearts Club (her debut novel) was one of my favorite books though, and that made me even more interested. :)

Diana, it's really great. :) I think it's the perfect defintiom of a "quick read." Hah.

#100 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Quick read--I like the sound of that. ;) I recently bought The Lonely Hearts Club. The two other authors at last night's event were Cathleen Daly and Suzanne Selfors.

#101 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

I switched it up for Good Oil for my Aussie YA Reading Challenge, so I didn't even start it yet. I will though! I will!! I just need to catch up with my reading.

#102 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

starberry- The Locket was pretty good; I really enjoyed it. Let me know what you think of it.

Jcrazy- I liked I Am Number Four but I honestly can't recommend it now that I know the behind-the-scenes stuff that was going on. Here's two things that talk about it- http://online.wsj.co...3086301082.html and http://www.thenation...ntroversy-again

I pulled my review of it because of this controversy.

Currently, I'm reading Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes.

#103 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

starberry- The Locket was pretty good; I really enjoyed it. Let me know what you think of it.

Jcrazy- I liked I Am Number Four but I honestly can't recommend it now that I know the behind-the-scenes stuff that was going on. Here's two things that talk about it- http://online.wsj.co...3086301082.html and http://www.thenation...ntroversy-again

I pulled my review of it because of this controversy.

Currently, I'm reading Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes.

Thanks for the info, now I feel sick for buying that book (try avoiding packaged products like that since I'm an aspiring writer myself and it just sort of sickened me reading the whole scheme of the thing). Oh, well at least I can enjoy Alex Pettyfer's pretty face on the book jacket that's something. Sigh....haven't got around to reading The Locket yet, been rereading the 1800 Where are you series and have been doing law school stuff.

#104 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Meg posted a link a while ago on her blog to something that Maureen Johnson had written about the James Frey stuff. Crazy!

http://www.maureenjo...s-frey-problem/

I finished Prom and Prejudice late last night (enjoyed it) and started Elizabeth Eulberg's first book, The Lonely Hearts Club. I'm liking it so far.

#105 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

^^^Yeah, I'm fine with packagers if they do it correctly- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Gossip Girl are from packagers but those authors are paid well for their work and the stuff that came with it. But this was just to make James Frey himself rich and take advantage of aspiring, desperate writers.

#106 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'm not sure I understand all the James Frey stuff? What was happening with it?
I really liked I am Number Four.

#107 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm not sure I understand all the James Frey stuff? What was happening with it?
I really liked I am Number Four.

Well, the long and short of it as far as I understand is that James Frey sort of hires these young authors to "Co-Write" stuff with him.

They either write a sort of 'plot-line' he provides or pitch their own ides, but James Frey holds the right to edit it as he sees fit, and the books are published under pen names, you - as the author - are not allowed to say you wrote it, you have to write the sequels if Frey says so and can't protest if he gives it to someone else. Frey pays you a very small amount of money for your work, plus some sort of percentage of the winnings of the book (though you have no legal stand to inquire as if the some offered for this winnings is accurate). And so on.

Basically you do the work, he markets it and keeps most of the money -much or little - that the book makes.

#108 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

I'm thinking about buying the book Heist Society by Ally Carter. Has anyone here read it? If so, how is it?

#109 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

I'm thinking about buying the book Heist Society by Ally Carter. Has anyone here read it? If so, how is it?

I loved Heist Society. It starts out a little slow and is in third person, unlike the Gallagher Girls which in first, but it's amazing. If you've ever seen the USA show White Collar it's sort of like that with a little bit of Veronica Mars thrown in there for a good measure. It's very good.

#110 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

It was okay, I like the Gallagher Girls more, but I thought it was all-right.It starts all slowish but once things start happening it's good.

#111 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Diana- I loved Heist Society too! If you're a bit worried about buying it, it'll be out in paperback May 21, which is a ways off, but then the sequel is out a month later so if you really like it, you won't have to wait too long to read more. If you do get it, let us know what you think of it. :)

#112 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Oh. Well that James Frey stuff is depressing. Thanks for explaining it though (:

#113 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Diana- I loved Heist Society too! If you're a bit worried about buying it, it'll be out in paperback May 21, which is a ways off, but then the sequel is out a month later so if you really like it, you won't have to wait too long to read more. If you do get it, let us know what you think of it. :)

The bargain price for the hardcover edition is only $6.80 on Amazon, so I bought it last night. Can't wait to read it. I LOVE the cover. Very Audrey Hepburnish and so glamorous! :)

#114 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

What's going on with everybody? It's been like a week! What are you all reading?

Currently, I'm reading Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman (very cute and fun) and Leverage by Joshua Cohen (very intense). I'm also re-reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson in anticipation for the sequel!

#115 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

What's going on with everybody? It's been like a week! What are you all reading?

Currently, I'm reading Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman (very cute and fun) and Leverage by Joshua Cohen (very intense). I'm also re-reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson in anticipation for the sequel!

I started a tween book called Flirt Club by Cathleen Daly. It's really good and funny. I haven't finished it yet, but I recommend it. The two main characters are quirky and lovable.

http://www.amazon.co...98507022&sr=1-1

Posted Image

#116 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

I'm about to read Delirium finally! Yay! Just finishing up a Nora Roberts book first. Then I think I'm going to try Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz.

#117 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Kylie - Book Bloods is good! I liked it.

Delirium was a FAIL! for me, but I'm not really into dystopia.

RIght now I'm reading The Lonely Hearts Club and loving it!

#118 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Kylie - Book Bloods is good! I liked it.

Delirium was a FAIL! for me, but I'm not really into dystopia.

RIght now I'm reading The Lonely Hearts Club and loving it!

CrazyClavie, I recently read The Lonely Hearts Club and liked it a lot. Loved the Beatles references.

#119 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

CrazyClavie, I recently read The Lonely Hearts Club and liked it a lot. Loved the Beatles references.

Me too! And the funny thing is that I don't even like the Beatles all that much! Never have. But I love Penny, she reminds me so much of myself in High School - not so much in the bad luck with guys, though my own luck wasn't stellar, but in the way she decides is nice to just hang out with friends. I was totally of that mentality when I was 16

#120 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I hear about this Lonely Hearts Club a lot. I may have to read it.

#121 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Diana- I got an ARC of Flirt Club at the end of last year. I started reading it in the car when I got it. It was cute. Haven't gotten around to finishing it though, lol. Glad to know you recommend it!

Finished Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman, still reading Leverage by Joshua Cohen and starting The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell. I also got an awesome ARC today- Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs! So excited for it!!

#122 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Diana- I got an ARC of Flirt Club at the end of last year. I started reading it in the car when I got it. It was cute. Haven't gotten around to finishing it though, lol. Glad to know you recommend it!

Finished Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman, still reading Leverage by Joshua Cohen and starting The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell. I also got an awesome ARC today- Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs! So excited for it!!

You got an ARC of Fins are Forever, you're very lucky indeed. I loved its predecessor, Forgive My Fins a lot. And I can't wait for Sweet Venom (which is a part of a new trilogy that Tera's working on that's about the descendants of Medusa for those who don't know) to come out this fall looks so good.

So, I decided to read I Am Number Four since I already bought it (before knowing about its origins). And honestly, I stopped reading after the first eighty pages. It just seemed a little flat to me. It had a good basis a but it was obvious that it was very packaged. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. The main love interest was very bland too perfect and the main character himself was boring. The name John Smith didn't help him either, though I am still tempted to see the movie since I hear Alex Pettyfer is shirtless throughout most it, lol.

Speaking of new books, the cover for Melissa de la Cruz's six Blue Blood book, Lost in Time, has been released. It looks very dark and sensual and sexy in a tasteful way.

#123 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Beautifully Intended, I just adore the friendship between the two main characters in Flirt Club. They have such a supportive and loving relationship, and they're really cute together. Some of the things they say to each other crack me up.

The author, Cathleen Daly, posted a very entertaining blog entry on Valentine's Day.

http://cathleenadaly.blogspot.com/

#124 IlovePavlov13

IlovePavlov13

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

So, I just finished Ominous by Kate Brian. I mean, the story line was gewt and other such things but the problem was, SHE SWITCHED THE ENTIRE PLOT FROM THE FIRST FOUR BOOKS.

Spoiler

Okay, that's it. Done with that book. I'm prolly still going to read the very last one to be safe and see what happens after all.

#125 MermaidsRule:)

MermaidsRule:)

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Okay, I caved in and read the Twilight Series. Not as bad as i thought but it was easy to find her writing mistakes. Pretty good on whole, though.

#126 lacey

lacey

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Okay, I caved in and read the Twilight Series. Not as bad as i thought but it was easy to find her writing mistakes. Pretty good on whole, though.

I found that Twilight ruined the whole vampire idea for me. Seriously, a vampire that sparkles? It was so absurd that it put me off the idea of vampires and all that.

I just read Mice by Gordon Reece. It's about people who are weak, not actual "mice"
Posted Image

I thought it was really good for a thriller.

Lacey :mgicecream:

#127 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

I could never stomach Twilight really, :P

#128 starberry

starberry

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

I could never stomach Twilight really, :P

I liked parts of the first one (the action parts) and most of Eclipse actually, though I really didn't get New Moon and Breaking Dawn. Bella is just a little too blase and a wimp for my taste. Though I have to say I appreciate what the series did for YAL paranormals. Especially vampire books. Because I like vampires, just not hte Twilight vamps.

Right now I decided to reread Meg's Pants On Fire such a cute read. Forgot how hot Tommy Sullivan is and how infuriating Katie can be at times.

Up next I'm thinking either Hex Hall or The Locket.

#129 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

^ I'm glad that YA books get more attention now, but I'm so annoyed that everything geared towards teens in the media now is compared to Twilight.

Everywhere I go its always, "what will be the next Twilight?"
No. Just no.

#130 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hehe I adored Twilight at the time I read it, but I realized it wasn't an "ohmygod I have to reread" kind of book. I still like it. :P But after watching "Alex Reads Twlight" on YouTube, it makes Twilight seem hilariously silly.

Anywhooo, has anyone read MATCHED by Ally Condie? My English teacher was talking about it today and it sounded pretty good. Then again, she reads everything. :)

#131 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

^^^Matched was an okay read. I'd recommend getting it from the library. Unless of course you want the awesome cover, then go ahead and buy it, lol.

I finished Leverage by Joshua Cohen and that book is insanely intense and very good. Right now, I'm reading The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell and will be starting Shimmer by Alyson Noel either while I read Vespertine or right after finishing it.

More exciting ARC news- I got an advanced copy of Abandon in the mail today. I can't wait to read it!!

#132 DianaSF

DianaSF

Meg Cabot Fan

• Moderators
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

Come join us in discussing Meg's Vanished Books 3 & 4: Safe House and Sanctuary!

http://forums.megcab...=0#entry2347472

#133 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

Almost bought Matched, but changed my mind and got Haven by Kristi Cook. I feel like the guys too Edward Cullen (lol) but it's really good. Anyone read it? I'm 'bout half way.

#134 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

I read Matched.
It was pretty good. I really loved the setting, but I don't know, something was lacking. I still enjoyed it. And I think the next books have huge potential to kick bum.

#135 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

I just read "Memoirs of a teenage amnesiac" by Gabrielle Zevin

It was good. It was beautiful. It was totally sad in this not even trying kind of way. It had this meloncholy feeling to it. Heck, even the inside FLAP felt sad! But maybe I'm just hormone-ish.

It's sooo good. You need to go to the library and read it right now. If it's not there, order it.

(she loses her memory just because of a coin toss! :( )

I'm currently reading "How NOT to be popular" by Jennifer Ziegler. I immediately thought of "How to be popular" of course. It's totally awesome and funny- she moves around a lot so she's trying to NOT be popular and be the ultimate loser, so it won't hurt so much when she has to move again. But she's naturally a popular kind of person so it's kind of hard to watch her keep not doing the things she wants!

Anyway. Those are two must-reads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users