7 replies to this topic

#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

How do you view your writing?

Edited by 24moon100, 15 November 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#2 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

You know, I feel good about my writing. :) I always have. I know I'm doing the best I can. And then again, I never take anything very seriously, so if I sucked I still don't think I'd care... :)

I think of myself as a GOOD writer. I'm not bad, I'm not great, and I know I can get better if I want. :) I take good advice and do what I can with it.

Did I answer the question right? Lol.

#3 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

^Perfectly. :P

#4 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Well, I was going to respond to this thread, but Jcrazy pretty much summed it up perfectly. Although, I do care if I suck, so there's that.

I have days where my writing is good, where it just flows out of me and makes me want to jump for joy, and then there's days when it's just....blergh. Luckily, those days don't last forever.

I usually like whatever I'm currently writing, sometimes I look back on an old story and think it sucks, but at least I had fun writing it.

#5 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I have the worst self esteem when it comes to writing. I tell myself I'll never publish, and if I do publish, I throw myself into the grotesque mindset that people will rip and tear every page and make fun of it. I know my writing on the forum is mostly not well written. I convince myself that my poems are garbage. I've been told my writing is bad, and after a few years of hoping they were wrong, I had to admit it to myself. I try and keep to reading more than writing, and I get excited when someone gives me positive feedback on things I'm proud of. But I think I'm just the forum's local pessimist, so of course I'd think this.

And J, you're certainly right. Your writing is amazing!

-Nikki

Well. I put a damper to this. Sorry!

#6 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

WARNING: This is gonna get cheesy.

^You want to know what Nikki? Thats okay. Most of us are gonna have doubts probably. Its human to have doubts I guess. But I wouldn't give up just yet, not while you've got so much promise in store. From some of the poems and stories I've read from you, and this isn't sugar coating the truth or anything, I truly believe you've got it in you. I wouldn't call you a pessimist, not even in the slightest, I'd just say your trying to compare yourself to others too much. Maybe even others on this very board.

The thing is (and I'm no expert) we all set different standards for ourselves. Personally? I set my standers pretty high, almost make them unreachable even, and in result I find myself discouraged most of the time. People with lower standards, people just writing for the sake of writing, they have a larger capacity of positive self esteem. I'm not saying it isn't good to give yourself some standards, but don't make them unreachable.

And I'm not saying this applies to you or anyone else, but most of the time we think of writing in a popularity sense. We (really meaning me) want people to like what we write, want it to be famous enough to be known, famous enough to become the next public obsession. Well thats when writing starts to become hard, and laboring, and not at all like what it should be.

Aspiring to make it perfect will, 99% of the time, only make writing a challenge. The second you make it a chore is the second it starts to feel like one.

Want to know what I always do when this sort of perfectionist state of mine kicks into action? I stop, go read through my old writings, and highlight all the things that I liked, completely ignoring the bad things all together. Before I know it I've collected a shocking number of excerpts that I hadn't even realized were good until I went looking for it. When you go looking for the good things instead of the bad things for a change, it really begins to boost your self confidence.

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. :D

But, most importantly, stay true to what YOU want to do. If writing doesn't make you happy, then it isn't for you, but if you know it does at some points then still hang in there. You'll learn to regain that wavering self esteem you've got. I know I can relate to you, if anything else. In-fact, i've gotten as worse as it gets when it comes to how I view my writing. Though, when it boils right down to it, the only thing that seems to get me through those bouts of self doubt is knowing that writing makes me happy. Knowing that I write for a reason and that reason isn't to win a popularity contest or get published in the big-leages. Writing is about so much more than that.

:heartbeat:

PS (Nikki): I was only guessing there so sorry if my ideas are wrong. :)

(Ramble over. You can clap now, I'm finished. :P)

-MEG

#7 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

For a thirteen-year-old, I think I write okay. I'm not a great writer. I'm not awful. I'm kind of "meh." People who have read my schoolwork and stuff say my writing is great, whatever, but I don't think so. I think I'm decent, but I guess I just compare myself to other people too much. Published authors, my friends, you guys. My plots are fairly lame; nothing I write will ever have a plot half as good as most books, I'm sure.

I mean, come on. I don't even have the guts to show my family or friends my writing because I'm sure they'll hate it and criticize me to death for it (death by criticism? If has to be possible). If I can't get over that now, how am I ever going to get over it? I'm sure they'd be encouraging or whatever, but I don't think they'd just be lying through their teeth if they say it's even just "good."

I think I need to improve a lot. I do some good stuff, but I do a lot of bad stuff, too. It's all a lot of small steps toward improving that I have to make, and it's a slow, agonizing process where a person is forced to beat themselves up a little.

And, anyway, I'm only writing for fun at this point. Well, yeah, getting published eventually would be great, but I think my family thinks I'm more serious than I am. I write because that's how I cope with reality. I don't like what's going on, so I write about somewhere I'd rather be. Not that post-apocalyptic California sounds fun, but it's more exciting than my daily life. I write to deal with my depression. Writing makes me happy. Socializing and dealing with people does not.

So if I look at it as therapy instead of serious writing, it's not nearly as bad. I guess I think I'm good, but I'm not writing on the level I want to be at.

xoxoArtemis

#8 dbcWinter

dbcWinter

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Depends on a day. Some days I feel like I am seriously great at writing, that I deserve to get published eventually and that I should be a famous writer.

Then other days I feel like there are millions of people who write just as good as I do and that I am no one special.

When writing represents more than just a hobby for you, I guess in some way becomes a very intimate thing ... and therefore it isn't that surprising you often feel insecure. The way you feel about yourself then reflects on the way you feel about your writing ...  If this is your thing, that one special thing that is just yours, every criticism can knock you down.

So .. I'd say it depends on whether you view writing as a hobby/job or your purpose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users