22 replies to this topic

#1 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Okay. :icon_bigsmurf:

I was wondering what goes on in your head when your reading to yourself.

Like, when I read, I hear a voice reading in my head. It's not MY voice, it's usually the voice of the main character, slightly altered. It's very subtle, so I don't really notice it, and the voice usually sounds very similiar in every story.

Then when I character talks, I can hear they're voice, and all that. All of it is very subtle, so it doesn't really get in the way of my reading.

Also, the scene going on in the book is always getting acted out in my head. I can kind of see the scene, characters and everything, although, once again, very subtle, but there. That's why 'how I imagine a character' is kind of important, cause that character is always going on in my head.

I thought it was like this for everyone when they read, but apparently not. This person I used to know said that when he reads, everything is in a monotone, without variations of voices (which sounds really boring!). That kind of surprised me, and makes me wonder what it's like in your head when YOU guys read?

#2 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Okay. :icon_bigsmurf:

I was wondering what goes on in your head when your reading to yourself.

Like, when I read, I hear a voice reading in my head. It's not MY voice, it's usually the voice of the main character, slightly altered. It's very subtle, so I don't really notice it, and the voice usually sounds very similiar in every story.

Then when I character talks, I can hear they're voice, and all that. All of it is very subtle, so it doesn't really get in the way of my reading.

Also, the scene going on in the book is always getting acted out in my head. I can kind of see the scene, characters and everything, although, once again, very subtle, but there. That's why 'how I imagine a character' is kind of important, cause that character is always going on in my head.

I thought it was like this for everyone when they read, but apparently not. This person I used to know said that when he reads, everything is in a monotone, without variations of voices (which sounds really boring!). That kind of surprised me, and makes me wonder what it's like in your head when YOU guys read?

i hear a main character voice too! its steady, and very reassuring. i hear it every time i read, regardless of the story teller.

when it a guy's pov, i think of zac efron's voice...haha

-Nikki

#3 JSandATfan

JSandATfan

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Usually when I read, it's all just in my voice, and if I'm reading quickly I don't really picture the characters or scenes, but the way you read sounds fun! With the last couple of books I've read, I've tried to read it slower and imagine the scenes playing out like they would in a movie, and that makes it kind of cool. The only problem is, I can never settle on ONE way that each character looks, so I'm contantly changing it lol.

#4 bookwormwriter98

bookwormwriter98

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

I always end up saying it out loud in my MC's voice if i'm by myself, if not it's ALWAYS in my head. I kind of see the scenes in my head alot too, and sometimes use my hands or map it out in my writing journal so i know EXACTLY what it's like. i've even made almost blueprints for rooms and floors in my story, and i'm not kidding. sometimes, i get WAY too into it. i get all kinds of crazy stuff in my head.

#5 Princess_Missy

Princess_Missy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

I see the scene like a movie in my head, but it's my voice reading it if the character is a girl. If it's a male... I don't know who's voice it is really, but it's a generic male voice.

Love Melissa :heartbeat:

#6 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

For me it's like a movie going on in my head

-Liberty/Anshi :icon_sunny:

#7 size 12 is not fat

size 12 is not fat

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

When I read I sort of whisper the story to my self and I do sort of hear like the characters voice. It's also a bit like a movie, since I form pictures in my mind of the scene, setting and the characters. I read slowly so to get the image right. I feel like the main character telling their story...

~Oce~

#8 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Wow! Lots of different stuff!

I actually realized recently that the reason I don't like reading out loud is because it never come sout sounding right. I'm a really fast silent reader, but I usually stumble over words when I'm reading out loud. And when my mom reads out loud, it always sounds all wrong, because it's not the voice in my head.

#9 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

sometimes if the description is vivid, i see a movie too

-Nikki

#10 Ohliveeah

Ohliveeah

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

I see a movie in my head too. And, when the characters speak, I hear what I think they would sound like from what I know of their personalities.
Only, instead of imagining the author's description exactly, I see people I know who would look like the author's description.

Edited by Ohliveeah, 31 January 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#11 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I don't have that, but I do have a thing, where no matter how an author describes a house, I can only imagine it like a house I've SEEN. Some people live in my house, some people live in my old house, some people live in a mix of houses. My grandparent's and my friend's houses get used too. When I'M the one writing the story, I try really hard to come up with my own house, but usually a house I know sneaks it's way in, slightly changed.

Edited by Dramagirl221, 03 February 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#12 KatieCakes

KatieCakes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:14 AM

I don't have that, but I do have a thing, where no matter how an author describes a house, I can only imagine it like a house I've SEEN. Some people live in my house, some people live in my old house, some people live in a mix of houses. My grandparent's and my friend's houses get used too. When I'M the one writing the story, I try really hard to come up with my own house, but usually a house I know sneaks it's way in, slightly changed.

Same here! I get that with the characters as well, they always look like someone i've already seen.

#13 kylie

kylie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

I totally play the whole thing out in my head like a movie. Although sometimes, before a description is made about a characters appearance I make up my own person. Then I find out what they really look like. Usually its nothing like what I imagined.

#14 Cool Dork

Cool Dork

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

When I read I picture what i think the characters look like and it's like a play in my head...Never have i once recognized who my people were (as in no one i've seen) The voices are as in what I think the characters sound like...

#15 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

@kylie Yeah, that happens to me too. I'll imagine a girl with say, blonde hair, and then I find out it's actually black.

#16 batontwirler

batontwirler

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

yeh same. its like, once i imagine what a character looks like, then i find out that the character is actually not like that at all, i'm just like" no, NO she looks like THIS, not THAT.. NO!! " like, i read the princess diaries books before i saw the movies, with michael for example, i was like.. " no, he SO does not look like that. i bet these movie producers havent even read meg's book (s) ( no offence to anyone ) . oh well, at least in MY head i know that this is what michael REALLY looks like. " ect.
is anybody else like that??

#17 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sort of. I actually saw the movies before I read the book, so the whole time I was reading the series, as much as I tried to change it, I imagined Anne Hathaway as Mia. (well, a slightly altered version of Anne Hathaway)

And I read the books Bras & Broomsticks, and Frogs & French kisses, the first two books in a series by Sarah Mlynowski, and in the book, it says that she has light brown kind of not curly not straight hair. But on the cover, there's a drawing of a girl with straight ish black hair, so from page one, that's how I imagined her looking, no matter how much I tried to change it.

Also, I'm pretty sure it said her younger sister Miri had long light brown curly hair. But I imagined her all short with wavy blonde hair that went down to a little past her chin. I tried not to, but that's just what the name "Miri" sounds like to me.

#18 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

They all have different voices when I read a book.

Like Michael Moscovitz had a deep soild yet gentle voice.
Edward Cullen had a strong british voice
While Bella (Cullen) had a squeaky girly voice..sorta
The characters in my book have people based off of them

Such as Turner Jenning actually has his own voice
but Carr Lawrence has like Lucas Till

So yeah!

It changes a lot!

Alex~ :mgicecream:

#19 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

@DayDreamer Wow! That's cool! I wish my voices were like that.

#20 Aprilloves

Aprilloves

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

i hear a main character voice too! its steady, and very reassuring. i hear it every time i read, regardless of the story teller.

when it a guy's pov, i think of zac efron's voice...haha

-Nikki

oh my god!
i thought i was the only one lol!:)

#21 bookperson

bookperson

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Sometimes when its hard getting into a book, i read them in english accents. But other than that, just my voice.

But i thought this was thoughts like "Wow jeez this characters is dumb" and "What the heck?!"

#22 solique

solique

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

I give most of guys British or Canadian accents.

xoxo

#23 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

I always imagine voices in my accent, which is an Ohio accent, so.... yeah, XD. So when I found out that they have a british or southern accent or something, it takes extra effort to change it around in my head whenever I read something they're saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users