• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#91 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

*stands on dramatic cliff overlooking the ocean, posing dramatically, hair blown by wind dramatically, yelling in the most dramatic way possible* HELLO, WORLD. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE LISTENING, BUT I WILL TALK TO YOU LIKE YOU ARE.

Yes, that was extremely obnoxious; I am aware.

I am also aware of how much I now hate the word "dramatic" as of now.

Anyway, I'm going to ask anyone who's here (which is close to no one, but that's okay; I'll just end up answering it myself, lol :P):

Which would you like to see more of?

-Ariadne and Alyce (It's like this right now.)
-Phoenix and Alyce (Not to make things biased, but...I JUST LOVE THEM SO MUCH.)
-Alyce all by herself (If you pick this one you're evil because I hate it when she's on her own.)
-Everyone together (You've seen how this is for, like, many chapters now. Maybe you liked it when everyone was together. I don't blame you...)

I know that I am ultimately in control of everything, but I like to get a reader's perspective and opinion on some things. I also know that just because I love Ariadne with every bit of my shallow heart does not mean that you people do (and I don't think most of you probably like her all that much, unless I'm wrong here).

Okay, that's all. I'll try to update by Wednesday, since I think that used to be "Update Day." :D

xoxoArtemis

#92 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Um I would like to see Alyce and Ariadne talking and they become friends? And telling Alyce her story or part of it anyway. :icon_study:

Then Alyce and Phoenix they get close or something? I want a little romance you know maybe she meets a :mgwave: hot guy who explains the situation better, but like they're the same you know witty.
:heartbeat: Or Phoenix and her get together or Ariadne and him. Then Ariadne and Alyce get pretty and you know the boys can't keep from staring or something. Because I'm sorta you know romance girl which is girly ,I think, and I'm NOT girly except the romance part. :heartbeat:

Um that's me but you do whatever you want. I just wanna say right now it's like AWESOME!!!! :icon_geek:

:spinstar: :spinstar: Like AWESOME+ NESS= AWESOMENESS!!= Alyce in Dystopia :hyper: :eusa_clap:

I did math!!!

Maybe she'll learn to do weapons(guns,knives,cross and bows etc.), become strong you know tough!!! :074: :angel12:

#93 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Um I would like to see Alyce and Ariadne talking and they become friends? And telling Alyce her story or part of it anyway. :icon_study:

Then Alyce and Phoenix they get close or something? I want a little romance you know maybe she meets a :mgwave: hot guy who explains the situation better, but like they're the same you know witty.
:heartbeat: Or Phoenix and her get together or Ariadne and him. Then Ariadne and Alyce get pretty and you know the boys can't keep from staring or something. Because I'm sorta you know romance girl which is girly ,I think, and I'm NOT girly except the romance part. :heartbeat:

Um that's me but you do whatever you want. I just wanna say right now it's like AWESOME!!!! :icon_geek:

:spinstar: :spinstar: Like AWESOME+ NESS= AWESOMENESS!!= Alyce in Dystopia :hyper: :eusa_clap:

I did math!!!

Maybe she'll learn to do weapons(guns,knives,cross and bows etc.), become strong you know tough!!! :074: :angel12:

LOL, your comment made me laugh. :D I like getting feedback.

So to give you a rough outline of what I've established today, Ariadne will keep talking with Alyce (that was decided months ago xD), but there is going to be quite a lot of alone time with Phoenix and Alyce and *cough* some *cough* romance...

Okay. I'm a sucker for romance, especially when it's with Phoenix and Alyce because they're just so... I love them. Ariadne can do whatever she wants; she doesn't need a romantic interest because she's too busy being a badass. But even though I forbade myself from romance early on, it has to be there. HAS TO.

Plus I think the story needs to lighten up a little bit. :P

Thanks again for commenting! Love to know that people are reading and enjoying this thing. :D

xoxoArtemis

#94 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......HA! :lol: :hyper:
Now your comment made ME laugh!!
And YAY!! For the romance part, I mean.
Hope things are gonna get HOT with Phoenix and Alyce. :mgwave:
And I like your very colorful words you used about Ariadne, well for now she might change for all I know or even die.
And thanks for the FYI ;)
And if I didn't say it before you are very funny!! :lol:

#95 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......HA! :lol: :hyper:
Now your comment made ME laugh!!
And YAY!! For the romance part, I mean.
Hope things are gonna get HOT with Phoenix and Alyce. :mgwave:
And I like your very colorful words you used about Ariadne, well for now she might change for all I know or even die.
And thanks for the FYI ;)
And if I didn't say it before you are very funny!! :lol:

LOL, I think we're both too easily amused. xD

And I have no clue how I'm going to make any of this work yet. I have a rough draft in my notebook up to about Chapter 18, and I've decided that I need to learn to develop characters' relationships better. They always end up doing their own thing when I want them to do something else. It's so annoying. :P

xoxoArtemis

#96 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think you're right. About the amused part, I mean.
And oh cool. I mean cool.
Tbh to be honest um I don't really know about writing that much any more. Because I used to write but now I don't, now I more of a reading person (you can tell on my signature, I think) well to books that AREN'T boring. Which yours is not.... dude.
I can't get over that for reals That made me laugh my butt off. And the weird is that I did that my friends.I'm like Hey dude whatzup!! they're like I'm not a dude I'm like Ok dude and they're like don't call me dude I'm not a boy and I'm like ok I won't call you dude any more dudett and they like ARGGGHHHH.
It makes me laugh every time!!! :lol: :icon_lol:

#97 Slaterlover

Slaterlover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Wow, Ariadne was soooo mean. Soooooooo mean! :icon_mecry2: What does she mean no one likes Alyce? She is comic relief in a time as harsh as the one they are living in. Grrrrrr....... Ariadne she is way to bitter and agnsty. So you should write about Alyce and Phoenix. Yay!!!!!!!!!! Happiness.
Laters,
Sushi

#98 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

Alyce and Phenoix/Everyone together please. :D

I need to get caught up now. :P I am wayyyyy behind. Sorry for that Artemis. Please know that I love this story dearly.

It just *cough* takes a lot of energy for me to read and write a comment. And I have been on major lazy mode so...

Yah. Heh. Heh. Heh. I like to make excuses to make myself look better.

Even though that lame excuse was sort of kind of the truth... :)

Be reading soon, my friend. I promise. As soon as I get over this lazy high. :heartbeat:

Edited by 24moon100, 03 July 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#99 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Sushi:

LOL, Ariadne has such issues. She doesn't care about anyone but herself (and Phoenix xD)--and especially not Alyce. But I needed one character to play the role of the angst-ridden and bitter person, and it made enough sense that Ariadne's attitude would be that.

(And I am writing tons of Alyce and Phoenix scenes! It shall be wonderful!)

Meg:

Haha, don't feel bad about not reading. I'm terrible at commenting and reading, and I'm very apathetic, so I get where you're coming from with this lazy streak. :D And don't feel like you need to read this anytime soon, lol. You're not missing much. xD

All:

Today I realized that I am reliving the Tragedy of Summer:

Last summer I had fifty different things (or it felt like that many) I wanted to write--but I didn't have the drive or urge to write them. It got worse when all that laziness turned into writer's block. And then I was stuck writing mindless fluff for the ENTIRE SUMMER, until around October/November my major dystopian kick started and I had fifty different things I had to write.

Sadly, I'm stuck on the Tragedy of Summer part right now. I've got everything planned and set up for a murder mystery; I've got a paranormal serial killer tale (AKA "Fear of Falling") that I could (but am not) work on; I've got a vampire (not the Twilight-y kind--the "real" kind) story I picked up again after a few months off; I want to write a summer love story; and I've got Alyce.

Ugh.

To prove to you the severity of the Tragedy of Summer, I wrote two and a half sentences of Ch. 19 of AiD in a little over an hour. True, I was sitting by my older sister and mother and we were joking around and jamming to Death Cab (what else would I be listening to after the concert?), but I should have gotten more than TWO AND A HALF SENTENCES done.

And to make things worse, I think they were both about Phoenix's stupid hair.

Pathetic, I know.

But the next chapter I'm supposed to be posting soon? Yup, nothing's typed up on that one yet. D: This is my least favorite part of the novel that we're in right now, so it doesn't really help that I'm going through the Tragedy of Summer RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT. It's like, "Jeez, mind, give me a break!"

Yes, I talk to my brain. It's not that weird...

Well, I'm going to go try to write some more--preferably not about Phoenix's hair.

xoxoArtemis

#100 Slaterlover

Slaterlover

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Summer gives you this laziness syndrome. During the school year(especially in English and PE for some reason) I have way more ideas, but have other priorities to deal with. :( In the summer, there is laziness and writer's block, so you never win. Good luck writhing up the next chappie, because I want to read it...even if it is about Phoenix's hair. Lol.
See ya,
Sushi

#101 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm at my grandparents' house for a few days, and I won't be updating for a little longer.

Hey, look: I'm sorry I'm terrible with updating. I'm just lame like that. :P

xoxoArtemis

#102 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

The lack of motivation is shocking...

I just cannot seem to get into this next chapter. GRRR...

xoxoArtemis

#103 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Okay, anyone who reads this in the next seven or so hours. I need something to do, so I'm open for writing discussion about now. Ask me stuff. I'll ask you stuff back. I want to talk to people.

Yup.

xoxoArtemis

#104 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

So...firstly: Where will the discussion be? Here? :)

#105 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

So...firstly: Where will the discussion be? Here? :)

SURE. That works. LOL. xD

xoxoArtemis

#106 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Question numbero uno: what inspired you to write Alyce?

(I sound like an interviewer or something...lol.)

#107 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Question numbero uno: what inspired you to write Alyce?

(I sound like an interviewer or something...lol.)

Oh, jeez. Expect for the world's lamest answer right here:

Linkin Park, mainly. (PATHETIC, I know.) But I got really into A Thousand Suns and the apocalypse, and I was going through the geekiest LP obsession at that time, and... Yeah. I was deeply affected by the stuff they were singing about--I just felt it. And then there was the movie "Contagion" that helped out a lot with everything. I mean, the disease plotline has been used tons of times, but I guess I tried to use it sort of originally with the Camp and everything? (Mini rant: The Confinement Camps are inspired by WWII Concentration Camps, and I'm kind of pissed at myself for not portraying the vileness of them earlier on. Because everything was so simple and dumbed down. I was just starting out and had no clue how important everything was going to be. And now I am dreading fixing it. LOL. I hate those first chapters...)

I had been working on some different drafts of apocalyptic stories (the MGMT Corporation is version 2.0 of an evil Japanese group called the ALTRTNcampaign in previous drafts) that were mainly about nuclear war--I'm writing about nuclear war again right now :D--and toxic gas and the cruelty of humans. That sort of thing. And then I spent some time trying to come up with the ultimate dystopia, and Alyce was born.

Yup.

Where do you find your inspiration? I'm guessing you have a better answer than Linkin Park, haha. :P

xoxoArtemis

#108 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

I don't think that is lame. I think that is really cool how you found inspiration in music. Music is a great inspiration I think. :)

Anyway, as for me? Well, in general, I kind of am inspired but what I'm obsessed with at the current moment. That is why I never finish anything because once I move on from that obsession my enthusiasm for the story plunges. Lol. So like, the first story I ever wrote, back in the days when I read Nancy Drew, was a mystery. That is also why I can never think of my own damned idea because I'm too stuck on someone else's. Ha. Hopefully that answers your question. :)

Q #2: Are you a big planner when it comes to writing or do you just go with the flow?

:icon_study:

#109 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Oops, I posted twice and this was the one with the bad error. LOL.

xoxoArtemis

Edited by Pretty.Odd., 27 July 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#110 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

I don't think that is lame. I think that is really cool how you found inspiration in music. Music is a great inspiration I think. :)

Anyway, as for me? Well, in general, I kind of am inspired but what I'm obsessed with at the current moment. That is why I never finish anything because once I move on from that obsession my enthusiasm for the story plunges. Lol. So like, the first story I ever wrote, back in the days when I read Nancy Drew, was a mystery. That is also why I can never think of my own damned idea because I'm too stuck on someone else's. Ha. Hopefully that answers your question. :)

Q #2: Are you a big planner when it comes to writing or do you just go with the flow?

:icon_study:

Dude. That is so true with the obsessions thing. I think when it comes to that, you just have to write long enough to get really attached to the characters and really feel the plot. And have the drive to finish and the drive to KEEP GOING (which, by the way, I severely lack right now).

Ugh. Planning. I like to get a nice idea of the plot, and then all the rest is just whatever. With Alyce I knew that I wanted a resistance to fight off the MGMT Corporation. I had the Camps worked out, and that was basically it, lol. :P I wrote a magical prologue on Thanksgiving (might have been the day before/after, but it was right around that time), and then the first chapter, and then--boom, STUCK. Foster the People came to my aid with the song "Warrant" and I was un-stuck. I remember writing every one of these chapters. Where I wrote them, parts of what I was thinking, the music I was listening to. It's a little scary, but the process of this has been especially vivid.

Anyway, as far as future plotting for this goes: Pfft. I have written about ten drafts (not joking) from one point, and all of them suck. I'm stumped, so I'm giving this a break for a little bit. The ending, though, I have had planned since the prologue. And it's going to be awesome.

Okay, here is a question for you: Do you type every draft, or do you write them in longhand first?

xoxoArtemis

#111 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hiiiiii.

So I'm currently on chapter 12, but I'm tired. I know, I guess I thought l would be up super late again since I havent fallen asleep before three in days. But I guess that's catching up with me. Errr.

I'll be caught up and commented tomorrow, and I hope I'm still allowed to ask questions and stuff then!!

Peace out

#112 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hiiiiii.

So I'm currently on chapter 12, but I'm tired. I know, I guess I thought l would be up super late again since I havent fallen asleep before three in days. But I guess that's catching up with me. Errr.

I'll be caught up and commented tomorrow, and I hope I'm still allowed to ask questions and stuff then!!

Peace out

Dude. Just go to sleep. YOU NEED IT. ;)

You are ALWAYS allowed to ask questions! I like talking about this stuff. A little too much... But I'm really happy you're catching up with it. Makes me happy when people read it. :)

I will await your questions!

xoxoArtemis

#113 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

Dude. That is so true with the obsessions thing. I think when it comes to that, you just have to write long enough to get really attached to the characters and really feel the plot. And have the drive to finish and the drive to KEEP GOING (which, by the way, I severely lack right now).

Ugh. Planning. I like to get a nice idea of the plot, and then all the rest is just whatever. With Alyce I knew that I wanted a resistance to fight off the MGMT Corporation. I had the Camps worked out, and that was basically it, lol. :P I wrote a magical prologue on Thanksgiving (might have been the day before/after, but it was right around that time), and then the first chapter, and then--boom, STUCK. Foster the People came to my aid with the song "Warrant" and I was un-stuck. I remember writing every one of these chapters. Where I wrote them, parts of what I was thinking, the music I was listening to. It's a little scary, but the process of this has been especially vivid.

Anyway, as far as future plotting for this goes: Pfft. I have written about ten drafts (not joking) from one point, and all of them suck. I'm stumped, so I'm giving this a break for a little bit. The ending, though, I have had planned since the prologue. And it's going to be awesome.

Okay, here is a question for you: Do you type every draft, or do you write them in longhand first?

xoxoArtemis

When I first started writing I did do everything longhand, mostly since I didn't have a computer then, but now I just type everything. I tried using a notebook the other day actually and it just felt insanely weird. I know that you do though and I find that really cool. I don't know why I can't handwrite anymore, I guess it's just you get so used to typing that it's hard to go back. :P

Q #3: How long does it take for you to write a chapter generally?

#114 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

When I first started writing I did do everything longhand, mostly since I didn't have a computer then, but now I just type everything. I tried using a notebook the other day actually and it just felt insanely weird. I know that you do though and I find that really cool. I don't know why I can't handwrite anymore, I guess it's just you get so used to typing that it's hard to go back. :P

Q #3: How long does it take for you to write a chapter generally?

There is such a special feeling when you write something in a notebook, in your handwriting, with the pen in your hands. But the pen has to be black ink, man. With no black ink pens, the world would not be complete.

It obviously depends on how long the chapter is. The original versions of the chapters of Alyce probably took around two hours to write, two to type up, and then, since this is a new version of AiD, another one/two hours to edit. I don't know how long it takes others to write chapters, but it feels like an eternity to me. But I'm really, really slow. In longhand, it takes me 15-20 minutes to do one page. It's very slow, but it's worth it. Is there anything as wonderful as finishing a chapter that's been giving you issues? I don't think so. ;)

Question for you: What kind of characters are the easiest for you to write? (Interpret as you wish. :D)

xoxoArtemis

#115 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

Ah yes, finishing a chapter is always the best feeling. I can only imagine what finishing an entire story must be like. Jamie *cough* *cough*. Lol.

Hmm. The easiest character to write? Gee. That is a hard one.

It depends on the story but usually I always have fun writing about the best friend or sibling. And then, again depending on the story, the main character themselves. Personality wise, though, I like to write characters with humor and stuff. Isn't that always the best? When you get to add a bit of your whit in there?

Question: What is your biggest issue when it comes to writing? Like what always gets in your way.

#116 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

Ah yes, finishing a chapter is always the best feeling. I can only imagine what finishing an entire story must be like. Jamie *cough* *cough*. Lol.

Hmm. The easiest character to write? Gee. That is a hard one.

It depends on the story but usually I always have fun writing about the best friend or sibling. And then, again depending on the story, the main character themselves. Personality wise, though, I like to write characters with humor and stuff. Isn't that always the best? When you get to add a bit of your whit in there?

Question: What is your biggest issue when it comes to writing? Like what always gets in your way.

I like the witty characters, too. :D It's more fun to write them then characters who sit around and mope all the time (like, hmm...ARIADNE. As a matter of fact, most of the characters in AiD are pretty mopey--but can you blame them? I'd be mopey, too...).

And JAMIE FINISHED CD HOLY CRAP I DIED.

Anyway.

My biggest issues with writing? Well, my characters like to write themselves and do whatever they want without consulting me, so that's a bit of a problem. I love when the characters start writing themselves, if you get what I mean, but it gets difficult when I want to change the direction of the plot in the slightest way and their characters would be too busy doing some other thing. I guess I lose control of what I write easily, and words just start flowing and it gets to a place where I don't want it...and then I get mad. :P I like when I get on a good writing kick, but it can be such a pain in the butt when you have to go back and change things to make them work.

I have to do that a lot... :P

Question: What are your overused words, phrases, etc.?

xoxoArtemis

#117 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

(Haha. This is fun. :P)

Yes! I loose control of my writing all the time! I don't even know where I'm going with it half the time! And characters writing themselves can be a good and bad thing I agree. Haha.

Wow. It feels like when I'm searching out for all the over used words and phrases, I just can't seem to find them. Though I know there is PLENTY. I guess I have to be writing to catch them.

I do know that I say the words "anyway" and "still" an awful lot. Plus, you know, the usual "but" and "and". :P And, this isn't really revenant I don't think, but I always overuse commas!

Question: When did you first get started?

#118 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

It is fun! :D

I like to overuse adverbs, which is just...NO. It is terrible. I've gotten better recently, but it's not good. LOL. I also like the word "just" too much. Heh...

I first started writing in the third grade. Yeah, third grade. I wrote a twenty page story (complete with color illustration!) about my classmates in a fantasy world. Terrible story, but the writing is definitely mine. I wish I could say I sound nothing like third grade Artemis, but I do still. It's my writing. The tone is different, but the structure and stuff is similar. :)

So I wrote that story, did some lame creative writing in fourth grade, some (Percy Jackson, lol) fan fiction in fifth grade, and wrote my first novel in the sixth grade. Once again, very bad. I'm ashamed to say I wrote it, but I'm also ashamed to say I wrote parts of Alyce, too. :P You can't win!

Writing that story in sixth grade was a way of coping with new emotions that felt out of place and weird, and I guess it's still like that for me. It's a distraction from real life that I desperately need. I get to create an alternate world and live vicariously through other people! Who doesn't love that?

Question: What is something you regret/are ashamed of writing? (Has to be within the last few years; don't say "that one story I wrote when I was five; God, that sucked.")

xoxoArtemis

#119 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

Om my gosh! I use just so much!

And I started writing in the fourth grade. Didn't really make it a full out passion till the sixth grade. You are totally right with writing to get away from reality. I swear I live in fantasy more than the real world these days. Lol.

Dude. Okay. I'm ashamed of how amateur, undeveloped, and unoriginal my ideas tend to turn out. They are always so...UGH. At least, that's what I think. It makes me want to gag. I'm writing this little thing right now even, but I don't think I'll ever post it because it is too similar to what I've seen before. Like the whole been there done that sort of thing. That is my main problem. My stories stem from other peoples stories. Not all the time. But a significant amount of it.

Having a major copy-cat crisis at the moment you can tell. Haha.

Question: What are some things that annoy you in writing. (Cliches, stereotypes...ect.)

Edited by 24moon100, 27 July 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#120 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:55 AM

It's fine to take ideas from other stories--just not the main ones. I'll use my writing (use it every stinking time, baby) as an example:

How many dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories can you find on the shelf? An overwhelmingly large amount. They all tell the same kind of story, but they're all very different. The same is true with high school romances. Actually, high school romances are typically even worse, because there is nothing original there, pretty much. :P I love a good high school romance, but they get old.

It's all about putting the right kind of twist on it to make it your own. A unique cast of characters that freshen things up enough. A general idea (dystopia) with a different plot (AiD). It can be tough, but how many original ideas are there, anyway? Don't beat yourself up too much, Meg. :)

There are so many things in writing that, if it were possible, I would kill. Like high school romances. Cliché. Emo love story. Cliché. Bad guy is a good guy. Cliché. Good guy is a bad guy. Cliché. Everybody wins in the end! Cliché.

I hate the idea of stereotypes, but I am convinced you cannot avoid them in writing. Most characters in most books are stereotypes--especially in dramas, I think. That's my observation.

And, yes, my Alyce characters are pretty much stereotypes. I admit it, and it sucks, but I don't care all that much.

The stereotype that makes me really mad is the mean girl. Please. I understand that they're very real (I know some of 'em, too :P), but get your own freaking plot device! Carry a plot in a new way, not with the mean girl. I never liked it, and I'm beginning to find it a weaker and weaker as time goes on.

Question: Do you find yourself imitating certain authors? If so, which ones and how?

xoxoArtemis

#121 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

I have only really imitated Meg Cabot before and it was just a few words and phrases here and there that she used that I liked. Hardly what you would call imitation. Otherwise? I'd like to think I have my own voice. :) It is ideas and characters I have to watch out for when imitating. :P

Question: What do you usually look for in a comment? (For future reference. Haha. :D )

Edited by 24moon100, 27 July 2012 - 03:13 AM.

#122 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

I like it when people proof my stuff like you do (because I am so bad at reading my own work). I like being told what parts were better than others, something to boost my incredibly suckish self-esteem a little (as long as it doesn't inflate my ego, because that its not a good idea), honest feedback--the works. I like it when the commenter is engaged in the story and focuses on the writing and the story. I get that it's a lot to ask for, but what can I say? It's ideal. :D

What parts of a story do you like rereading the most? What makes certain parts of a book more enjoyable than others?

xoxoArtemis

#123 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

Good to know. Good to know. :) I agree with you there. That is what I ultimately try to do. Hence how huge my comments turn out. :lol:

Okay, this is lame, but I love the fluff parts in romances. I can never get enough of those. I also like reading really brilliantly written dialogue/character thought train. Especially when it is funny and entreating. Also when the bad guy's in stories get their comeuppance. I don't know. Truly though it's the fluff. That is the only stuff I really re-read. But while I'm reading I appreciate so much more than that. I also love action scenes. Those are the best. :D

Question: what is your ideal chapter length? Do you have a preference? Like: it can't be under ____ number of words.

#124 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

The fluff can be so FUN! And I also like rereading that. Hehe. xD Action scenes might be my favorite, though. I like a good fight. Unfortunately, I don't write enough of those in Alyce. It was intended to be an action story, but.... OOPS. :P

I like chapters to be somewhere above 2000 words, no longer than 3500. Pretty short, so it's easy to manage. Shorter than 2000 is sometimes acceptable, depending on how important the chapter is. I'm not too huge on limiting the length of chapters but 2000-3500 words seems about right for my skills at the time.

Question: When you're writing, do you ever envision what you're writing as a movie? Do you, like, have a soundtrack (or am I that weird, lol)?

xoxoArtemis

#125 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

Haha. Not weird. I have on many occasions imagined how the idea would play out in movie form. Like I've casted my characters before and stuff. Soundtracks are fun too. :)

Question: What motivates you the most?

#126 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

I like it when I get comments on my stories. It makes me feel like someone likes my ideas and is interested in reading more. I also like reading a great new book I've never read; that always gives me new ideas and a fun new outlook on writing, most of the time. I usually have no motivation and don't write, but sometimes, I'm just like, "Okay, now that I've got someone reading, I'm going to update fifteen times in one day! TEEHEE. And they will read and give me comments on every single chapter that day! TEEHEE."

I like to think that, but it is not true. Psh, my mind likes to imagine what it would be like to update fifteen times in one day and get all that feedback. Nope, not happening. :P

Question: What music do you listen to when you write?

xoxoArtemis

#127 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

I always make the mistake to updating too frequently. Lol. Then everyone gets behind am I like: why no comments? Or, at least, that's what I like to blame the lack of comments on. :P

I don't really listen to music when I write. I used to listen to my favorite songs, but then I would just jam out to them and become unfocussed. When I do happen to be able to write and listen to music at the same time it is usually alternative/rock stuff. :)

Question: Favorite time of day to write?

Edited by 24moon100, 27 July 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#128 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

I like to put some album I've heard a million times on in the background so it's not too distracting, but there's some stuff I CANNOT write to. I made the mistake of trying to write AiD while listening to Owl City... Never doing that again. Doesn't really match, mood-wise. LOL.

I like writing at around 4:00-ish to 6:00-ish in the afternoon. Then I eat and go for a walk. It's very relaxing, lol. I like to write at around 10 or 11 at night, too, but I always feel really awake at 4/6. So usually then, I guess. 4/6 usually works out well during the school year. I don't have all that much homework (perks of being an eighth grader), but that's also my prime homework time. I'm very alert around then.

Question: Where do you write? Are there any places you can't write in? Do you like being around people or away from them?

xoxoArtemis

#129 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

I don't care where I'm at. One time I took my laptop out to the beach when I was in Florida and wrote in the sand. It was the BEST. I can write in the car. On the couch. On an airplane. At the kitchen table. Doesn't really matter. It just depends on my mood. Though I usually tend to shut myself up in my room while laying on my bed. This may sound weird, don't judge, but I love to write in the bathroom sometimes. For some reason I'm just really calm and concentrated in there. LOL.

Right now I'm in one of my guest bedrooms, hiding from my mother who is sure to be checking on me to see if I'm awake or not. (She's been getting awfully controlling lately)

Question: (You knew this was coming) Favorite character in Alyce?

#130 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Aww, lucky. You can write around people. I can only write by myself or with, like, one person around, and that would be my younger sister. Otherwise...not so much.

And, lol, I am picturing you hiding in a guest bedroom and it is hilarious. And, WHOA, why is your mom up so early? Mine is probably out pretty good right now, lol.

Bleaghh. Favorite character in Alyce? I don't really like any of them that much. Here's my semi-deep analysis from my apathetic state:

Ariadne

-Annoying

-Annoying

-Annoying

Phoenix

-Apparently pretty attractive, at least to Alyce, so WIN

-Annoying

-Arrogant

-Amusing

-Annoying

Alyce

-Kind of messed up

-Annoying

-Either an emotional train-wreck or completely void of all emotion

-Amusing

-Annoying

-Protagonist (you get extra points for being the protagonist, by the way)

Armando

-No one gives a crap except my friend Megan who actually created him

Cato

-Awesome

-Awesome

-Awesome

I've always liked Cato the most, for reasons you may or may not know yet (I hint about it frequently :D). He's just interesting to me. Probably either him or... Nah, he's my favorite.

There's your semi-deep character analysis for today. :P

Question: Do your protagonists tend to be very similar? What qualities do you tend to give them? What do you do to make them different.

My questions keep getting lamer and lamer. Whatever, though.

xoxoArtemis

#131 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

Nah. Nah. I like discussing writing with people that enjoy writing as much as me. No lame questions here. :)

And my mom says she gets up to go to the bathroom but I think she just sets her alarm or whatever. She's always trying to bust me. It is getting so annoying.

I hate it in this room. It's hot and dark and kinda creepy (good thing I don't scare easily anymore). And the bed is creaky so I can't move a lot....

Haha. Nice character analysis. Yah I think Phoenix is my favorite as of right now. But I remember, from what I've read anyway, that I like Cato a lot too. Alyce is cool too, though. She started out a little rough, I'll admit, but her character picked up rather quickly.

And I'm guessing there is another Megan you are referring to (I don't spell my name like that anyway)? Lol. Even so I give a crap about Armando! I think he's funny. Kind of the comic relief of the group. I dunno. :D

All my protagonists sound similar to some extent. I think I make them in mirror of me, or my internal voice that is. I like to give them blonde hair like me too with green/blue eyes. It depends but sometimes they can turn out really sarcastic and overdramatic too. Haha. Wow. The more I think about it, my protagonists are sort of boring. :P

Question: What is the most fun you have in writing AiD?

#132 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Argh, I'm gonna crash soon. I'm so tired about now. :P

Hehe, my mom wasn't thrilled with the idea of me staying up all night; she argues that it's not healthy, and I'm just like, "WHO CARES? This is FUN. Same thing as having a sleepover..."

LOL, Phoenix is probably my second favorite. I like the other characters, but... Ugh. I totally forget that I MADE them. They feel so real, and it's hard to think about--

THE SUN IS RISING! YES! IT IS GETTING LIGHTER!

Okay, sorry, just...yeah. Ha.

And, yes, there is another Megan! She's one of my friends from school. Earlier in the year she was fantasizing about having a 22-year-old Mexican brother who is named Armando, and I promised to incorporate him into a story of mine, and now he is here. And I'm Glad you like Armando; he's not as big of a character in my head, and I haven't though about developing him at all it. So I guess people DO give a crap about him! LOL.

My protagonists never really look that similar, but they all sound like me. What can you do, though? I'm sure I'll grow as a writer and they'll be better eventually, but they're stinky right now. Ha. :P

I think the most fun I have with writing this is... Gee. I can't really say. It's all such a fun process, but the thing I probably enjoy most is putting bits and pieces of myself into the characters and throwing in my own humor--making the story a reflection of me. It's the Artemis Show, when you break it down to really little stuff. All of the characters are emotions/traits of me, there's the whole political element of the thing where I get to throw in some of my views, there's all the symbolism people will never understand because they're not meant to get it. No one will get it but me, but I'm really writing for myself, so why not, right?

Reading that answer again, I can tell I need sleep so I can formulate thoughts better. Haha. xD

Question: What are you working on writing now? Anything interesting? I never got around to reading your two stories on here, but that's what you do when you're lazy.

xoxoArtemis

#133 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

SAME. Why am I staying up this late? Is it weird that it's because I'm watching Cinderella? I'm so strange. :P

And I'm working on nothing really serious right now. Just for fun. To get it out of my system, I guess. It's nothing I could ever post since it is majorly copying someone else. Lol. I'm interested in re-writing one of my old ideas though. I just haven't decided which one to write. I've been wanting to pick up this fanfiction I wrote on the Mediator but I don't know... It's kind of crazy right now. Haha.

Question: How do you deal with your writers block?

#134 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

There are so many old drafts of things I'd love to rewrite/start again, but I don't have the time or guts to do it right now. I have enough to focus on!

When I get writer's block, I like to listen to more music than usual, as I am very inspired by music. ;) Listen to the lyrics. Visualize. I also make every last thing relate to my writing. I try to take ordinary things and try to make them fit into my writing. I like to write random scenes I'll never use until I work something out. Daydream a lot. It's not a great process, but it's the best I can do for myself. :)

Question: If you ever get famous for writing a certain genre, which genre would you want it to be and why?

xoxoArtemis

#135 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Whoops. Sorry for falling asleep on ya there. Did you make it till 7? :)

I'd love to be famous for fantasy. Or romance. Both are lovely genres.

Question: Favorite chapter of AID?

Edited by 24moon100, 27 July 2012 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users