• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

OH
MY
GOD

I LOVE THIS!

Well, You already knew that ;)

But continue! WRITE AS FAST AS YOUR LIL CALVIE FINGERS CAN GO!

:lol:

I feel bad for Jess, I mean that's a HARD business! I mean, I don' think I could that!

Hope Tris does something SUPER SWEET FOR HER! :heartbeat:

Anyways!
U
UP
UPD
UPDA
UPDAT
UPDATE
UPDAT
UPDA
UPD
UP
U

Get it?

UPDATE! ;D

Alex~ :evil:

Sorry this chapter too so long, my little fingers were busy at work :P
But The next chapter will be up momentarily and I'm starting on the next chapter tomorrow morning!

:D

#272 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

So Yesterday

Chapter Eighteen:

You In Every Dream I Dream

Tristan

It was quite a strange weekend. I hadn’t expected Jessie to stick around like she did even after I kind of ruined our plans. She took it in stride and helped me by looking after Kylie. I always thought I would feel jealous whenever Kylie finally decided to trust another adult, like usurped or something but instead I found myself relieved when I realized that Kylie and Jess were perfectly fine on their own.

When I had gone up to check on them once I finally managed to fax the last of the papers, they had been cuddled together on my bed, the light of the TV screen flickering over them. Something happened inside of me, like my heart just went and turned into mush.

I picked Kylie up and carried her to her bedroom; she didn’t stir and just snuggled right in. Then I went back to my room and Jess had rolled over, still sleeping. And in that moment I didn’t want her to ever leave my bed. So, I made the executive decision of having her stay.

Waking up to find her there, all pressed up against me was a welcome surprise, both because of what it was and because of how natural it felt to have her there. And then spending the day together just seemed like a fun thing to do. Taking my girls for brunch and shopping, it was as if we had been doing that very thing for a very long time.

Kylie had been a little heartbroken when we drove Jess to the hospital, clinging just a little to Jess when she kissed her goodbye. I had spent that night tossing and turning and sort of just missing her. So next morning I drove out to the hospital, thinking I would offer her a ride home.

I knew the moment I saw her that something was not right. She seemed a little lost standing outside the doors to the emergency room. She seemed distracted as she climbed into my car and when I asked how her shift had gone she simply started to cry.

I tried to ask her what was wrong but she kept blubbering, and I decided to pull the car into a small, quiet street and just park.

“What is it?” I asked, undoing both our seatbelts so I could pull her into my arms, folding her close. She burrowed in and sniffled a couple of times before she was able to speak.

“I just had a really bad night.” She said.

“I know you can’t tell me the particulars, but I’m here if you need to talk to someone.”

She nodded and told me about the case she had worked that night. “I don’t know. It’s not the first emergency I’ve handled at the hospital but it just felt so complicated and I don’t know. It was just one of those nights when I wonder why I even chose to be a doctor.”

“I understand,” I said. “It happens to me too. Particularly when I’m handling custody agreements with parents that are just using their kids to get back at each other. I know it’s not the same as what you went through tonight, but I understand how what you choose to do for a living can weight down on you sometimes.”

She nodded and straightened up a little. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to turn on the waterworks.”

“Its fine, you can turn on the waterworks any time you like.” I said, stroking her hair and kissing her forehead.

“No, really. I’m done now. You know I don’t like to cry.”

“No one likes to cry.” I said patiently and handled her a couple of tissues from the small box I kept in the dashboard. “Come on, you need to eat something and you’ll feel better.”

“I’m not hungry.” She said, but smiled a little when I pulled into a McDonald’s a few blocks away. She had a secret weakness for their breakfast and hash browns.

We went inside and I ordered for her, and we sat in a quiet corner. She ate in silence but listened as I told her how Gramps had arrived the night before and had tried to teach Kylie how to clean and skin fish.

To my surprise, my girly-girl sister was delighted helping, getting water on everything and squealing every time Gramps got a new fish out of the bucket.

She smiled when I imitated Kylie’s high-pitched squeal. And seemed a little more relaxed as we made our way back to the car. And I held her hand as much as I could while driving, and she curled up in the seat, looking at me through drowsy eyes.

Maybe crying and pulling the graveyard shift had exhausted her, because she didn’t protest much when she realized I had taken her back to my place.

“I’m probably ruining your plans for today.” She said as I opened the door.

“I hadn’t planned much beyond picking you up at the hospital this morning.” I said, holding the door open for her.

Kylie came running when she heard the door, the barreled into Jess and hugged her.

“You are back.” She said happily but then stopped when she realized how red Jess eyes were. “Have you been crying?” She asked.

“I had a rough night at the hospital.”

“You tell Tris their names, he can sue them.” She said.

Jess bubbled a laugh that caught on a bit of a left over sob, “I’m fine. Just tired.”

“She needs a nap,” I said as I began to steer her up the stairs. Kylie followed us up but disappeared into her room as we got to the top floor. I shuffled Jess to my room asking her if she wanted to shower. But she said she just wanted to sleep a little.

I was settling her in when Kylie appeared again. She sauntered to the bed holding her Paddington Bear -the first toy I bought her after she came to live with me - and held it out to Jess. “He really knows what to do when you have a sad.” She said. “You just have to hold him and you’ll feel way better.”

Jess took the bear and snuggled with it. “I see.”

“Is it working?” Kylie asked.

“Oh, yes.” Jess said and reached for Kylie to pull her into a hug. Kylie snuggled in next to the bear, and then closed her eyes. “Paddy and I will keep you company.” She said. “You sleep. You’ll feel better, you’ll see.”

“I already do.” Jess mumbled.

I covered Kylie with the blanket when I saw her falling asleep too and then went about my Sunday chores. This mostly meant laundry: the washing and folding of it. I was actually folding the last of the laundry a few hours later, when Jess woke up.

“What time is it?” She asked. Noticing that while she was still clutching Paddy, Kylie was n o longer next to her.

“Almost five.” I said softly. “Kylie went to the market with Gramps, we are thinking of firing up the grill for dinner.”

“Oh, I can’t believe I have slept for so long.” She said, straightening and watching in fascination as I folded a fitted sheet stamped with tiny little tiaras. “Where did you learn to do that?”

I shrugged, “You Tube.” I answered truthfully. “Hey, your friend Di called. I answered your cell phone because it wouldn’t stop ringing. She said that the kid made it out of surgery fine and that he and his brother should be fine.”

“Oh,” She sighed with relief. “That’s, good.” She blinked a couple of times and I knew she was trying not to cry again, so I rushed on.

“Want to come help me get the grill ready? It’s almost dinner time and Gramps and Kylie should be back any minute.”

“I should go. I probably ruined your plans for the day… crashing here and all.”

“You didn’t crash here. I brought you here. And you haven’t eaten anything since this morning and knowing you there is nothing edible at your place. So you’re staying and that’s that.”

Jessie blinked, and I readied myself for an argument but she just said. “Okay.” And leaned over the pile of neatly folded bed linens to kiss me. “Thanks for picking me up today, by the way. I don’t think I said it before.”

“You didn’t. But I forgive you because you’re cute.”

---End of Chapter 18---

#273 rink-of-glory

rink-of-glory

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

that's so cute! ^_^

#274 papercut

papercut

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

AAAAWWWWWWWw the bear bit was really cute

In fact it was just a cute chapter!!!

Awesome as always

MEl :)

#275 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:06 AM

I loved so many parts of the chapter that I've forgotten which were they and I'm too lazy to quote :( sorry :(

Anyway:

I WANT THAT BEAR! !!!

And I loved it when in the beginning, Tristan's heart turned to mush :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

And also when he said I forgive you because you're cute.

And also when Kylie said 'You tell Tris their names. he'll sue them.' :D :D :D

Rivea :icon_flower:

#276 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

“You tell Tris their names, he can sue them.”

That's it Clavie, I'm marrying a lawyer. That will be real useful. ;)

And Tristan was again being his cute self. It cheered me up.

More soon!!!

#277 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

that's so cute! ^_^

Thanks!! :D

#278 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

AAAAWWWWWWWw the bear bit was really cute

In fact it was just a cute chapter!!!

Awesome as always

MEl :)

I was really going for cute! and I love the bear, it has become my obsession to get one of those! LOL

#279 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

I loved so many parts of the chapter that I've forgotten which were they and I'm too lazy to quote :( sorry :(

Anyway:

I WANT THAT BEAR! !!!

And I loved it when in the beginning, Tristan's heart turned to mush :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

And also when he said I forgive you because you're cute.

And also when Kylie said 'You tell Tris their names. he'll sue them.' :D :D :D

I want a bear too! And I'm happy you liked it so much! =) I love writing Kylie she's cute

#280 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

“You tell Tris their names, he can sue them.”

That's it Clavie, I'm marrying a lawyer. That will be real useful. ;)

And Tristan was again being his cute self. It cheered me up.

More soon!!!

LOL
I don't know, I guess marrying the lawyer depends on where you live, 'cause in my country people just aren't that sue-happy, 'cause the judicial system is way different than in the US.

Tristan is way cute too! I love writing him too

#281 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

So Yesterday

Chapter Nineteen:

Who Would Have Known Pride Was So Hard to Swallow

Jess

“All right, what’s next on the list?” I said as I put a bag of chocolate-chips on the cart Tess was pushing.

“Nothing more from this aisle.” She said, checking the list of supplies she had in her hand. It was Friday afternoon and we were making brownies… for 120 people. Kylie and I were going to the Mother-Daughter breakfast the next day and we were supposed to bring a treat for all of the girls. Something Tristan had failed to mention until two days ago when he gave me the tickets and the particulars of the event. Usually, the mothers in the PTA split the desserts and each made a few, but since Tristan had told me at such late an hour, the snotty president of the PTA told me that if I wanted to bring something, I would have to make large quantities of it, so it wouldn’t uneven the offerings.

Since I know next to nothing about baking, I called Tess in a panic and she said “Brownies. We’ll make brownies.” And agreed to come to the city on Friday to help me out.

She had figured we only had to cook the large pieces of brownie and then just cut them and pack them in individual wrappers – something Tristan was SO going to help us with – and that we could even make different types of brownies.

“Have I told you you’re a life savior?” I said, looking at her list. She had worked out proportions and measurements and a work plan.

“Not in the last fifteen minutes, nope.” She said with a smile.

“Can I help decorate the brownies?” Kylie asked as she ran around us in circles.

“Of course,” Tess and I said at the same time and then we laughed.

A little while later, we were driving to Tristan’s house and she asked why we weren’t going to my apartment to cook.

“His kitchen is bigger and his oven better - at least that’s what he said, I don’t even know how to turn on my own oven – plus, it’s all his fault we are rushing like this.”

“Plus he has to help us wrap everything,” Kylie piped up from the back seat.

“That’s right, baby.” I said as Tess – who was driving my car – turned onto Tristan’s street. I began to search my purse for the key Tristan had given me the previous week, saying that if I was staying over as much as I had (which admittedly was a lot) I should have my own key so I wasn’t waiting around for him to show up.

I had been a little surprised, but glad at the same time. Every time I stayed over I was a little more reluctant to leave, which did scare me a little but things were okay right now and I wasn’t going to complicate them just because. And thankfully Tess didn’t say anything about it, though she did wiggle her eyebrows meaningfully when I opened the door.

Kylie ran upstairs to change and Tess and I took our shopping to the kitchen.

“I do love a man who keeps a well stocked kitchen,” She said, opening doors and snooping around looking for god-knows-what since she had insisted on bringing her own pans and scale, and only relented on the mixer because I told her Tristan had one like hers.

“Does Dean keep a well stocked kitchen?” I asked, as he had never really stuck me as the domestic type.

Tess glanced at me, letting me know she understood what I had meant, but then cleared her throat. “Yeah, he does. He’s not a bad cook, you know.”

“Really? He cooks for you?”

“Sometimes,” Tess said. “Nana did teach us both, and she insisted he cooked for us girls at least one night of the week when I was living with them during senior year. Nana said she wanted him to be able to feed himself and do his own laundry before he went to college. She worried he would eat junk or spend all of his time bugging me to cook for him.”

“Which he probably still did, on both accounts.” I said and she smiled. Then Kylie came running into the kitchen and we got to work.

In some ways, Kylie reminded me a little of Tess, the way they were both funny and chatty and self assured, sure everything would work out somehow in the end. We busied with the measuring of ingredients and preparations to use the oven.

“They’ll take a few minutes, sugarplum.” I said once we had gotten the first batch into the oven. “Why don’t you go see some TV?”

“But I don’t want to miss anything.” Kylie said, though I did know her Phineas and Ferb were about come on and that she loved it.

“Nothing to miss but Jess and me doing clean up.” Tess said, “We’ll call you when the brownies are ready to come out of the oven. “

“All right! But don’t pull them out until I come back!” She said and ran for the TV in the family room downstairs.

Tess smiled after her, “I do love that girl.” She said.

“I love her too.” I said. “She reminds me of you.”

“Of course she does,” Tess said gruffly, “We being family and all.”

“Family?”

“She belongs to Tristan and he belongs to you, you’re my sister. Then we are all family.”

“Do you really see things that way?”

“Don’t you?” Tess asked.

“I’m starting too.” I said truthfully. “I’ve been thinking about it a lot, actually. About how much you must have missed Tristan after I moved and he wasn’t around anymore. It must have been hard.”

That earned me a long look, “Are you kidding me? Of course it was hard. You were together for the better part of three years. The two of you together? You were home to me.” She said, scrubbing the counter a little too enthusiastically. “You know I love Mom and Dad, Jess; but they have always been more about them as a couple and about the four of us as a family. We never went without, they showed up when it was expected and cared for us, but we are not the most important people in their lives, we have never been. You and Dean and Nana, and Tristan: You were that to me. You ARE that to me.”

“I’m sorry.” I said. “I’m sorry I left like that. I shouldn’t have.”

“You shouldn’t.” She agreed.

“I did regret it, you know. A lot. I think I spent most of my first semester just crying in between classes. I couldn’t eat and I couldn’t sleep and it was all so confusing and strange and I missed you and Tristan more than I thought you could ever miss anyone.”

“Why didn’t you come back?”

“Because I was too prideful, I wanted to prove I could do it. And I was scared: of facing Tristan, of how much I loved him. You’re not supposed to meet your soul mate at 15, Tess. It’s too scary.” I said and I was surprised to realize I was close to tears.

“You’re not supposed to meet your soul mate at four, either, but life happens.” Tess shrugged, though her tone was a little gentler.

“Doesn’t that freak you out?” I asked her, partially because it pertained to this conversation, and partially because I had always wondered. “Loving Dean so much, I mean. That he has always been The One?”

Tess thought it over for a second. “Yeah, it does.”

“That’s it?”

“It’s scary, and I don’t want my loving Dean to be all I have to show for my life, true. But the way I see things I can face my life loving him too much or not having him in my life at all. And I take the first over the second any and every time.”

I smiled, “Dean is right, you’re very brave. I always knew it but I don’t think I realized of it until he said it.”

“Dean said I was brave?” She said, pleased,

“Yeah, he said we were both cowards when it came to our feelings but that you weren’t. You know what you love and what you want and go for it. Something like that.”

She grinned, “I knew there was a reason why I married him.” She hummed a little. “It wasn’t easy, though. And I was afraid it wouldn’t work out, but you have to take a leap of faith when you love someone.”

“Easier said than done.” I mumbled.

“Yeah, but it’s better than the alternative.” Tess shrugged and went to check on the brownies.

“What’s better than the alternative?” Tristan asked as he walked through the kitchen door and made his way around the counter to me. He didn’t seem interested in the answer, though, as he just kissed me and then when to lift a squealing Tess off her feet and kiss her cheeks noisily.

And in that second, I understood what Tess had been saying earlier, about how the bunch of us were a family. Tristan had always loved Tess because she was my sister and I loved her, there was no second-guessing with him when he decided to accept people, and it was just another reason why I loved him.
“Kylie, time to get them out of the oven!” Tess called between giggles and Kylie came running.

Then we were busy again and Tristan got right into wrapping the brownies and making them look pretty, chatting happily with Tess and just like any other day, but I kind of felt like he was sticking closer to me. Kissing me for a little while longer, lingering whenever he had to touch me for whatever reason.

But all too soon we had finished and I had to go to my apartment, because that was where Dean was picking Tess up, and I felt so weird leaving, like I was leaving home.

--000—

End of Chapter 19

#282 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Nice conversation!!

And I loved the way you brought Tess and Dean into it and made Jess see reason through it....

Hmmm.....I miss loving Dean.

And I love Tristan.

#283 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

Nice conversation!!

And I loved the way you brought Tess and Dean into it and made Jess see reason through it....

Hmmm.....I miss loving Dean.

And I love Tristan.

I love talking about Dean and Tess, they always make me smile.
And I'll be putting a little more Dean soon!

#284 papercut

papercut

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

That was really cute and awesome and amazing and NEED MORE ADJECTIVES!!!!!

Mel :)

#285 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

Cool update. Hope the next chapter comes soon.

#286 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

That was really cute and awesome and amazing and NEED MORE ADJECTIVES!!!!!

LOL thanks Mel! I'm glad you liked it! I'm working on the next chapter right now.

#287 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Cool update. Hope the next chapter comes soon.

Thanks!
I'm already working on the next chapter, hopefully I'll post it pretty soon.

Also working on a special short story for the characters of Sugar Rush and Nuts About You :D

#288 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

Hey guys!
First off, sorry for the delays!!!
It's has been hard falling back into the groove of things and with Xmas looming close... well, there was lots of decoration to get done! But the chapter is here and I promise to post the following chapters quicker! I think we are pretty near the end of the story, actually.

Anyway, here I leave you Chapter Twenty!!!

.-..

So Yesterday

Chapter Twenty:

Sometimes It Hits Like a Car Crash

Tristan

As it turned out, the Mother-Daughter breakfast was just the beginning. After that time, Kylie insisted Jess came to all her school functions and made me tape them whenever she couldn’t attend – apparently; taking a thousand photographs was no longer enough. Luckily, Jessie had been happy to go along and she truly tried to go to every single one of the events in my little sister’s social calendar.

And that’s how, a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, we found ourselves at Amy Walsh’s birthday party, discussing Karen Rhodes, the head of the PTA.

“I’m telling you she hates me.” Jessie said as we stood in the backyard watching Kylie and Amy hold court among the young guests.

“I’m sure she doesn’t.” I said, “She’s like that with everyone when they first join the PTA.”

“But technically, I’m not in the PTA.” Jessie said. “That’s what she always says when I show up at the meetings instead of you.”

“That’s-“I began but was cut short when Kylie raced toward us.

“Jess! Come do the jumping sacks race with me!” She demanded, already pulling Jess along. Lately, I noticed more and more that Kylie came for Jess instead of me, and realized how much she actually craved a female presence in her life.

Jess went willingly and I was left staring after my two girls as they got into old sacks and lined up in the starting line.

“Karen does hate her, you know.” Amy’s dad Mark said. We had become friends after Kylie and Amy became friends, mostly because we lived almost next to each other, carpooled all the time and because he and his wife Amelia were two of the nicest people I had ever met.

“Why would Karen hate Jess?”

“Because she has had the hots for you, since you signed Kylie up for pre-school, and Jess just snatched you away.” Mark said in a non-nonsense tone.

“That’s crazy.”

“I told you, you’re the catch of the PTA’s single/divorced parent pool. And I know you went on a date with her that one time.”

“It wasn’t a date.” I said immediately and he just looked at me mockingly. “All right, she thought it was a date, but I thought it was just a celebratory dinner because of that settlement I got for her when I handled her divorce.”

“And then you started dating another woman. It ought to have stung her pride.” Mark commented offhandedly.

“Mark! Bring the cake!” His wife Amelia called out to them suddenly. “Tristan go with him and make sure he doesn’t drop it!”

“When have I ever dropped the cake?” Mark asked indignantly, but I still followed him back into the house to help him. Amelia’s sister owned a bakery and she always went overboard with the birthday cakes, delivering these massive cakes more suited for Sweet Sixteen parties than a six year old’s birthday party, but they tasted good.

“Cake time!” Amelia yelled and Amy ran toward the table, holding Kylie’s hand and making sure she was right by her side for pictures and cake cutting.

It made me smile seeing Kylie with her best friend, thinking that they were probably going to know each other for the rest of their lives and shop together for prom dresses. I suddenly realized how glad I was that Kylie had a best friend. And how glad I was that Jessie was back in my life. Even though we began to date pretty quickly after we meet during sophomore year, she was more than just my girlfriend, she was my best friend, and when we broke up it was her friendship one of the things I missed the most.

…---…

Two weeks later, I packed the girls up in the car and drove out to Tess and Dean’s, Gramps had wanted to meet with some of his cronies from the old neighborhood, so he had left even earlier to have breakfast with them, and agreed we would meet at Dean and Tess’ afterward.

The drive took a bit longer than usual, but nothing too bad, Kylie slept most of the time and Jess and I chattered about our Christmas plans. And I suggested we had Tess, Dean and his Nana over for Christmas at my house.

She said it was a wonderful idea, but even if Tess and Dean couldn’t come, that she wanted to spend the day with Kylie and me – and Gramps too – which earned her a sound kiss while we waited at a stop light a few streets away from our destination.

Dean came out to greet us and told me to park out back in their garage, rather than in the driveway, since they were expecting quite a few people to drop by for dinner.

After we parked, I lifted Kylie from the backseat, as she was still sleepy and clung to me, I carried her inside and we followed Dean to the kitchen where Tess and Dean’s Nana was whirling about, making preparations.

“That smells wonderful, chipmunk.” I said as she came to give me a quick peek on the cheek rather than indulging in our usual noisy greeting.

“It’s Nana’s pies! She made three different kinds.” Tess said, smiling at Kylie who perked up at the world “pies”.

“What kinds?” She asked.

“Pecan, pumpkin and old fashioned apple with a lattice top.” Tess said.

“I like apple.” Kylie said.

“Then we shall give you the biggest slice,” Nana said. “But now, lets get to work.”

“You’re in charge of mashed potatoes.” Tess told me, pointing toward a small mountain of potatoes, and whirled to Jessie and Kylie, “Why don’t two go watch some TV.”

“They don’t have to help?” Dean asked as he washed his hands at the sink before returning to the center island of the kitchen where he was chopping vegetables.

“Kylie is still too small to handle knives, and Jess is… Jess.” She said as an explanation and it said something about Jess’s hopelessness in the kitchen that no one needed further explanation. “They can help set the table, later.”

Jessie stuck her tongue out to Tess but did take Kylie to the entertainment room to take advantage of the massive screen there.

Tess and Nana ran a well-oiled machine in the kitchen, and I enjoyed that sort of camaraderie, the four of us working together to produce dinner.

A couple of hours after we arrived – while I was in the entertainment room delivering some snacks, the doorbell rang and Tess called from the kitchen: “It’s probably just Keith and Robyn. Could you get it?”

“Yeah!” I called back and went to the front of the house, opening the door quickly.

There, huddled in the front step were three people.

And he found himself face to face with Joseph and Patricia Mercer… and standing just behind them… Jessie’s snooty old grandmother.

---

End of chapter 20

#289 papercut

papercut

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Controversy

Which is NEVER a bad thing!

Great update

#290 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Hey Clavie!!

LOVEEE IT. As usual ;)

More soon, ok?

Sorry, gotta rush....if I didn't comment, i'll forget to come back and do it...so.....lol

Kisses!!

#291 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

I haven't commented on this in ages, sorry about that. I've read every chapter but it just seems that I have never time to comment.

I really enoyed reading chapter 20, just like Iäve enjoyed reading the previous chapters too. Kylie is adorable! Please, please, please update soon!

-Sammie

#292 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Controversy

Which is NEVER a bad thing!

Great update

*Grins*
I can tell that there is going to be a show down between someone and someone else! :)
Oh and news!!!! :)

#293 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hey Clavie!!

LOVEEE IT. As usual ;)

More soon, ok?

Sorry, gotta rush....if I didn't comment, i'll forget to come back and do it...so.....lol

Kisses!!

I promise to have more soon! :) I'll work on it tonight!
And I hope I can have it up by monday :D

#294 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

I haven't commented on this in ages, sorry about that. I've read every chapter but it just seems that I have never time to comment.

I really enoyed reading chapter 20, just like Iäve enjoyed reading the previous chapters too. Kylie is adorable! Please, please, please update soon!

-Sammie

*grins* It's alright, I'm just happy to hear from you!
:)
I'm going to work hard on the next chapter and I do adore Kylie too! :D

#295 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

oooh, Jessie's grandmother! This is getting interesting...

I loved it when Karen hated Jess (what that says about me, I don't know) but anyway, I like it when someone's jealous of Jess because she has TRISTAN!

And Jess has so become Kylie's mom and Tristan knows it! :D :D :D

Update soon and merry Christmas and a happy new year!

#296 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

oooh, Jessie's grandmother! This is getting interesting...

I loved it when Karen hated Jess (what that says about me, I don't know) but anyway, I like it when someone's jealous of Jess because she has TRISTAN!

And Jess has so become Kylie's mom and Tristan knows it! :D :D :D

Update soon and merry Christmas and a happy new year!

It's funny you said all that! You'll see why when you read the next chapter... which is going up now!

#297 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

So Yesterday

Chapter Twenty-One

It Feels Just Like Coming Home

Jess

Things were tense at the house after Grandmother arrived, Tess was okay with our parents and I could tell that they were trying to put a brave face about it, but Grandmother was driving them a little nuts too.

Still, I was glad that they had been civil to Tristan – my parents that is, Grandmother barely acknowledged him or Kylie or their Grandfather – even though he still kept calling them Joseph and Patricia and I could tell by my father’s expression when he said “Yes, I remember you.” when Tristan re-introduced himself, that he in fact did remember and was not exactly amused.

Mom just said, “I’m glad to see you finally cut your hair.” But then she was extra nice to Kylie – who was behaving beautiful, remembering her please and thank –you-s and looking adorable in her green sweater with a cute, cartoon-turkey on the front and her jeans.

They were both a little surprised to learn that Tristan was now a successful lawyer, but Tristan was good natured about it.

When father had first asked, in a slightly horrified voice, “Environmental law?” when Tristan told him he was a lawyer.

Tristan had laughed and said, “No. Family Law.”

Father’s brows rose, and I could tell he was impressed. “Sensible choice.” He said, and coming from my Tax Attorney father that was high praise.

Of course, Grandmother was not impressed but we were all trying really hard to ignore her, much as she insisted on criticizing everything about Tess’s house and her guest list. She toned it down a little when the rest of Dean’s band showed up.

Not long after that, Tess said that the food was ready and we all should start taking our places in the table. Where upon Grandmother began to complain that she had been vanished to the end of the table.

“This is an informal, dinner.” Tess said, gritting her teeth. “It doesn’t matter where everyone seats. Furthermore, we have always sat this way.” She said, nodding toward everyone else. “You know those of us who actually make a habit of spending time together.”

This was actually quite true. I had always sat between Keith and Nana. And when he met Robyn, I had been between her and Nana. And since I had brought Tristan and Kylie and Gramps to our reunions, our place was always the same.

Grandmother harrumphed and Dan, possibly the most inept at reading social clues in Dean’s band, nodded along, “Oh, yeah. I remember ever since we all lived together in L.A. Remember Tess?”

Tess smiled at him, “Of course I do.”

“I always did love the Sherman Oaks house,” Spike –the usually elusive second guitar – said.

“That house was tiny.” I said.

“Were you ever there?” My mother asked and I nodded. “I don’t remember ever seeing it.”

“Oh, I drove down there every other weekend when I was in med school. Spent most of my free time during my residency sleeping on the floor of Tess’ room.” I said. “I never did adapt to life in Stanford.”

“Oh, nonsense!” Grandmother interrupted. “Going to Stanford was the best thing you ever did, Jessica. And, unlike Teresa, you actually studied something worthwhile.”

“Gee, thanks.” Tess said beyond annoyed. She hated whenever anyone called her Teresa - which usually it was only Grandmother and that made it doubly annoying to her.

Grandmother ignored her, and went on. “Furthermore, you finally did break off that insane relationship you had with that juvenile delinquent...” she deliberately glanced at Tristan at this, and I knew that she knew who he was, even if they had met only two times when we were teenagers.

I tensed, Stanford and my leaving was something Tristan and I never talked about… and I admit I was afraid he would get on a mood but he just mimicked Tess and said “Gee, thanks.” While reaching for my hand under the table and squeezing it reassuringly.

I was glad he had decided to let it slide… but for Tess that was the last straw because she stood up and said. “That’s it!”

“Teresa, behave.” Grandmother reprimanded.

“Don’t Teresa me!” She said. “You come into my home, you insult my house, my cooking, my seating arrangements and I tell myself, ‘Let it go Tess, the woman is not worth it.’. But I will not stand for you insulting my family. So, get out of my house.”

“Really,” Grandmother said, and I could see she was gathering her breath to deliver some awful remark, but Tess wasn’t having it.

“I’m going to get the Turkey!” She said, pushing her chair back. “Kindly not be here when I return.” And stormed out.

There was a minute of stunned silence, where all we could hear was the indignant sound Grandmother made and the noise Tess was making in the kitchen.

“I should go help Tess, “ I said when a loud clank of pans and pots reached the table, startling is all out of our stupor.

“No. I’ll go.” Dean said, standing up as well. “That turkey is at least 15 pounds.” He said, good-naturedly before turning an uncharacteristically hard stare to Grandmother. “The door is that way,” he pointed. “I trust you can find it without trouble.” Then he turned to my parents. “You’re free to go if you want to, I’m sure Tess will understand.”

Father turned a dull read and looked a bit torn when Grandmother stood up and began to walk to the door, saying “Come on, Joseph.”

But Mom put a hand on his arm and shook her head. Grandmother let out a rather unladylike grunt and left, slamming the door in her wake.

“Well, at least the drama is now out of the way.” Keith said, settling more comfortably on his chair and then everyone began to chat, naturally, as if the last 5 minutes hadn’t happened at all.

I stood up and decided to gather the extra table setting and take it to the kitchen. As I got closer, I could see Dean and Tess standing by the kitchen island. Tess was crying a little and stuffing her face with what looked like a good chunk of the huge turkey in front of them.

“I just wanted this dinner to be perfect!” Tess said. “It’s our first one in our house and being married and you’ll be going on tour soon and it’s going to be weird because I’m going to be stuck here getting fat and you…”

“And I’ll be wishing I was home with you, watching you get fat.” Dean said, taking a few paper towels and moving to wipe Tess’s hands and face. “Besides, I’ll be coming and going during the first leg of the tour. I know the doctor said you shouldn’t travel during the last trimester, but you can come with us for a while before that.”

I took a step back, colliding with Tristan who was standing behind me. “Came to see if they needed help.” He mouthed and I knew he had heard to, and that he knew as well as I did what ‘Last trimester’ meant.

“I never thought I would miss going on tour with you.” Tess said, settling into Dean’s embrace.

“That’s because I’m charming and irresistible.” Dean said, kissing her hair. “Now, let’s get this turkey to the table.”

“But I ruined it.” Tess said, suddenly noticing how much of the turkey she had eaten.

“We’ll put some garnish over it and I’ll cut it clean off when I carve it,” Dean said and Tristan decided that was as good a time as any to push into the room and offer his help to carry the tray.

--00--

After dinner, we sort of broke into little groups. Mother and Nana were chatting up in the kitchen – probably eating the last of the pies –and Father and Tristan’s Gramps took over Dean’s huge screen in the TV room to watch some football.

The rest of us went outside and started a fire on the fire-pit opposite to the pool, settling in chairs around it, to toast marshmallows. Soon the guys began to discuss music and soon Dean had pulled out some guitars – loaning Tristan one – and they were having an impromptu jamming session and laughing.

We stayed out there until 9 at least, until Kylie burned a marshmallow because she was falling asleep on her feet.

“I think she’s done for.” Keith said to Tristan as he and Robyn were the ones watching her by the fire.

Tristan reached for her and picked her up.

“I think we are about done too.” Nana said, stepping out the garden doors and then turned to my parents and Gramps. “I think you better stay with me, so we let the young people carry on.”

There was a general agreement and they began to gather their things to leave, but before that Nana paused next to Tristan. “She can stay at my house too.” She said, motioning toward a sleepy eyed Kylie.

“I wouldn’t like to cause trouble.” Tristan said.

“No trouble at all.” She said, and leaned down to talk to Kylie. “You can stay in Tess’ old room.”

“Tess won’t mind?” Kylie asked sleepily.

“Of course I don’t mind.” Tess said. “You can even raid my Care Bear collection while you’re there.”

“Okay.” Kylie said.

Tristan said he would carry her to Nana’s – which was just at the other end of the street – and I decided to tag along. Much as I loved Tess and Dean and the band, I was feeling a strange need to be alone with him, even though I was fairly certain Tess would put us in the same guestroom together.

Between the two of us, we got Kylie ready for bed very quickly and tucked her in, and she was asleep by the time we left the room.

“She’s going to be fine.” I said.

“I know.” Tristan said, nodding to Nana was we passed her in the hallway. “She’s getting better, I think. She took to your parents pretty quickly. And I can tell she loves being around Nana.”

We decided to take a short walk around the neighborhood before we returned to Tess’s house. It was cold but Tristan’s arms were around me and that made up for it. At first I thought we were wandering but after a while I realized that Tristan seemed to have a direction. And soon we were standing in front of a bench.

“The first time I saw you, talked to you, you were seating right here.” He told me. “It was the day I came to live with my grandfather.”

“I remember.” I said smiling. “You seemed like such a bad boy.”

“Are you saying that I wasn’t?”

“I’m saying that you’re really a good man.” I said.

He kissed me for a long time and I felt almost like a teenager again, I even stopped feeling the cold all together until he ended the kiss.

“There is something I need to talk to you about.” He said.

“That sounds serious.”

Tristan paused to take a breath, which fogged a little in front of his face as he exhaled. “I’m filing to terminate my mother’s parental rights over Kylie.”

I blinked. “Have you talked to her about it?”

“Yeah, I told her that she wouldn’t have to see Mother anymore and that I would be like her dad.”

“That explains it, then.” I said. “A while back she told me that if I married you, then you could be like her dad and I could be like her mom.”

“I would very much like that.” He said, taking my hand and shaking his head. “I wanted to make this all romantic for you but you know sometimes I can’t find the words when it really matters and …the thing is that I really want you to be part of my future and Kylie’s”

“I would love that.” I said but then I had to say it because we had never really talked about it since we had gotten back together, so much that I almost thought we would never have to, “But are you really over the past? When I walked away? Because trust me, that hurt so much I don’t want to ever do that again and I would never do that to Kylie, either.”

“I know. “ He said.

“It was really the most awful time of my life, I swear.”

“I know,” he repeated. “I- I overheard you talking to Tess sometime back. When you told her how it had been like for you when you moved. I’m sorry about that. I’m sorry I was such an ass before you left that it made you feel like you couldn’t come back. I know that probably wasn’t the only reason why you left –and stayed away- but it probably mattered.”

“It did.” I said. “You know, when I first moved back I was afraid I would run into you. I thought that if I saw you again, everything would fall to pieces. But instead it was like coming home, like everything finally made sense again. All the pieces fit together.”

“I thought I would be angry if I ever saw you again, but mostly I felt how much I missed you being in my life. I don’t want to miss you in my life ever again.” He paused. “So, I have something very important to ask you.”

“Okay.”

“Marry me.”

“That wasn’t a question. But, if you insist.”

“That a yes?”

I nodded, “And that I’m all yours.”

End of chapter 21

#298 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry, but that last bit was so cute :heartbeat: and I loved his simple proposal :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

And Tess is pregnant!!!!! I loved the Tess and Dean scene too! Dean is awesome and he really is 'charming and irresistible'

Don't worry, Tristan, you are too ;)

#299 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

^^^^^

TOTALLY MY FEELING RIV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps up and down*

Awesome, Clavie!!

*Claps*

Love Dean, love Tristan.....Posted Image

More soon!!

#300 papercut

papercut

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just thought i might want to fit in with the rest of the comments already here to make up for the late reply!

#301 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry, but that last bit was so cute :heartbeat: and I loved his simple proposal :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

And Tess is pregnant!!!!! I loved the Tess and Dean scene too! Dean is awesome and he really is 'charming and irresistible'

Don't worry, Tristan, you are too ;)

Dean is adorable, I love him!
And Tristan isn't actually the jealous type. Dean is though.

#302 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

^^^^^

TOTALLY MY FEELING RIV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps up and down*

Awesome, Clavie!!

*Claps*

Love Dean, love Tristan.....Posted Image

More soon!!

Thanks dear!! :D
I'm glad you liked it

#303 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just thought i might want to fit in with the rest of the comments already here to make up for the late reply!

Thanks!!
I'm posting the next and last chapter now!

#304 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

So Yesterday

Chapter Twenty-Two

I Knew There’d Be Reason to Live through All the Maybes and Ifs.

Tristan

By the first week of December, Jessie had moved in full time. We were still unsure about what to do with her apartment –since it did have some sentimental value to her – but we agreed not to sell it right away and just put it up for rent.

And once she had settled in, we decided to throw a big dinner party to tell everyone we were engaged. We invited the Washes and Tess and Dean (right before he left for his tour), Jess’s friend Di, and a few of my friends from the firm.

When I made the announcement, everyone cheered and the biggest squeal of all came from Tess who gave me such a fierce hug that even Dean got a little jealous –as Jess delighted in pointing out.

“That’s payback for all the groupies,” Tess told him airily.

“There weren’t any groupies.” Dean said, with a roll of his eyes but they were both fighting to keep the laughter out of their voices and not five minutes later they were making out in the kitchen.

My divorce-attorney friends were a little more cynical about it, but Jess and I got free pre-nup consultations out of it, so it wasn’t so bad.

And then Tess got involved and things began to happen pretty quickly, particularly after Dean and his band kicked off their tour and Tess was left with tons of free time to drive over and help Jessie with the wedding planning.

We wanted it to be soon, both because it suited us and because it would be – in the long run – easier with the legal battle I was getting ready to face against my mother, who hadn’t taken kindly to the news I was suing her. And Tess did say something about not wanting to look like a big cow in the pictures, not that her pregnancy was showing yet – or that she had even come out and say it – but sometimes she let little things slip.

Christmas morning, as Kylie and Dean tore into Kylie’s pile of presents and made a general mess of the living room, Tess sat with Jessie and me, and helped us make a list of the things we should be considering when planning a wedding, based on her own experience.

She told us to find a venue, and go from there.

“A lot of people say it’s all about the dress, but it actually helps to know where you are getting married before that. You wouldn’t want to wear a heavy satin gown to the beach, would you?”

“I wouldn’t?”

“Right.” Tess said, nodding. And then we discussed the pros and cons of a garden wedding versus a beach wedding versus a renting a hall or hotel ballroom.

“We could do a winter-beach wedding.” Tess said, wiggling a little on her chair. “Have the ceremony on the beach but the reception at a seaside hotel or restaurant. It would the best of both words. No one wants sand in their salad, I’ll tell you that.”

I could tell Jessie was getting a little overwhelmed but Tess insisted the sooner we had a battle plan the easier was going to get. “Trust me, when you start getting wedding brain, you’re going to thank me for this.”

“Wedding brain?” I asked perplexed by this term.

“You’ll know it when it happens.” Tess said, but did ease up a little and we tentatively settled on the last week of February for the reception. Tess said it was awfully close but doable.

And she was right, I did notice when Jess started getting “wedding brain” a few days later when she and Kylie were discussing the very important issue of Kylie’s role in the wedding. At first Jess was having a perfectly normal conversation with her, and then she got this far away look in her eye and began to gush about how Kylie was going to look adorable in her flower girl outfit, and how everything was going to be “just dreamy”.

And then she began to do that each time we discussed anything wedding related, and I understood what Tess had meant about being grateful for having an already established battle plan.

In any case, other than Jess’ current tendency to drift off mid-sentence, it was the happiest I had ever been. Being with Jess and sharing every aspect of our lives was different but exiting.

We had a big fight two weeks into her moving in over some silly stuff – something about the space her shoes took in the closet – and in the end she said that she was there to stay so I was just going to have to deal with it because now and forever it was her house too.

Which prompted some angry sex against the closet’s door right about then, and later we went out to one of those decorating-home-improvement stores and figured a way to keep her shows from spilling all over the closet’s floor. She called me a neat freak and we had some very un-neat sex then.

Plus, I loved that she felt enough at home to fight me and move things and just make her presence known and felt. And, after a while, it was just as if we had always lived together.

I loved seeing her first thing every morning, and talking to her each night before we went to bed, tucking Kylie in together and taking turns driving her to school. Jess even decided to cut her hours at the hospital even more, and mostly focus working in her practice so she could have more stable hours. And she did enjoy flaunting her engagement ring under Karen’s nose at the next PTA meeting.

She said she knew it was juvenile, but that the woman deserved it.

I told her I loved when she showed her devious streak and I was richly rewarded.

It amazed me how you could spend your life living a certain way, and then things changed and you wondered how you ever lived any other way. That’s pretty much how I felt about Jessie.

The week before the wedding we were out in our backyard, going over last-minute details of the ceremony with Tess, and tempting the weather by firing up the grill, even though there was a 50%chance of snow. And I could hear Jess and Kylie laughing inside the house and I was so happy, in that instant, of having someplace to belong.

Of having people to belong to.

---000---

End of Chapter 22

---000---

End of So Yesterday

#305 octoberoriole

octoberoriole

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Awww. Sweet update!

#306 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

:o :o :o

Very sweet update. And I like it that the last chap was Tris POV. :D

I'm so happy and yet so sad that it's over. More of your cute story soon??

Oh, and I love that they fought. Makes it real!!

Love, shaheen

P.S. If I was Jess, I'd fight with Tris everyday.....if it prompted some good s.e.x.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#307 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Thanks girls!! ;) this was so much fun to write!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users