306 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Alrighty! Time for a new story by Moi.

Remember Jess? Tess sister from My Life in Black & Blue? Well, she once gave up the only guy she has ever loved... but why?

Summary:
When Jess Mercer thinks about Tristan Cole the first that comes to mind is unresolved business. When Tristan lets himself think of Jess what comes to mind is Heartbreak. More than a decade apart, they never expected to see each other again, until they did.

So Yesterday

Chapter One:
It Ain’t Over ‘Till It’s Over

Jess

It has always amazed me how we can never see those life-altering moments coming. How, in hindsight, we can see the signs, the way time seems to ripple as fate aligns itself to drop a bombshell or two. It can be anything, really: pregnancy scares that turn out to be more than just a scare, crossroads where you decide if to run for it when the light goes from green to amber, the boy you haven’t seen in over ten years suddenly materializing in front of you as if he had always been there.

And then, the point that will mark the befores and afters forever more is just there, and you say you never saw it coming. I know I didn’t. I had been going through the motions of my day, taking care of paperwork, checking on my little patients, overall happy – as I usually was - with my life: my apartment in downtown Baltimore, my small but prestigious practice, my sister happiness and the fact Tess was living just a half an hour’s drive from me rather than all the way across the country in L.A. Everything was fine, more than fine even.

But then, fate was already at work, ready to shock me out of complacency.

That day in early March, just as the first hints of spring began to warm the air, Tess and Dean had come to Baltimore for the day and Dean took us to a ridiculously expensive restaurant for a long lunch as they told me everything about their honeymoon, from which they had just returned. So, I returned to my office for my 5 o’clock appointment, sleepy and a little distracted. I read the name on the chart -Kylie Cole -and I didn’t even pause.

I just walked into the office. I saw the little girl first, Kylie, sitting on one of my chairs, swinging her legs, wearing a ruffled denim skirt, cute socks and pink my-little pony t-shirt, her glossy dark hair in two, slightly sloppy pigtails.

I said, “Sorry, I’m running a little late,” as I closed the door and then I saw him: tall and broad, staring at the pictures on my wall. Not at the big one Tess had given me when I had moved here to set up practice, a little over a year ago, the one that portrayed me during my first day of residency in pediatrics. No, he was looking at the other one; the smaller one Tess had given me just before her wedding, the painting of two teenagers making out in a crowded movie theater.

Kylie was looking at the man, and was staring at the painting too, she raised a little chubby finger and pointed saying: “That looks like you, Tris!” her comment ending on a giggle.

That’s when he turned and looked at me, and it hit me all at once that the teenage guy in the painting did look like him, because IT WAS him, at sixteen.

Tristan Cole, over ten years later, standing in the middle of my office. He looked at me quickly, then returned his gaze to her desk where a plaque reading “J. Mercer. MD” sat and then turned to me once more, shaking his head. “Hello, Jessie”

Jessie.

He was the only person who had ever called me that. I was Jess to my family and friends, Jessica to my Grandmother, but I had always been Jessie to him.

“Tristan,” I said after swallowing hard.

He smirked and somehow frowned at the same time, nodding his head toward the painting, “Interesting artwork.”

“Thanks,” I said, determined to be unruffled. “Tess painted it.”

The frown cleared and he smiled for real, “How is the Chipmunk doing?” he asked calling Tess by the nickname he had bestowed on her when they had first met, close to fifteen years ago.

“Fine, just came back from her honeymoon.”

“So Dean finally wised up and married her?”

“Yeah, took him 22 years but…” I shrugged.

“Do you know her, Tris?” Kylie interrupted, looking from him to me and then back to him.

“We went to school together,” He said, smiling down at her.

We went to school together, we spent all our free time for three years kissing and groping each other senseless…

Tristan shook himself after that and got down to business, he was looking for a new primary physician for Kylie, who didn’t like her old doctor and whose office was across town making the drive too long for their grandfather to manage on his own. I looked at him when he said that and he explained in a tired but patient voice “Yes, she’s my sister. You know my mother.”

I did know his mother – his crunchy-granola-tree-hugger-whale-protector-save-the-children mother, the one who cared about world peace and the well-being of everyone but her own son and, apparently, daughter – so I just nodded and went on with a few basic questions about Kylie’s health, any issues and offered to answer any and all questions he might have – from a medical standpoint.

Tristan asked a few questions, pretty standard stuff about insurance and office hours, and Kylie asked me what I thought about clowns and if she could have one of the lollipops from the jar full of them sitting on my desk.

There were a few awkward pauses and Tristan kept glancing at the painting of him – of us – on my wall, so I finally told him that, if he wanted, I could recommend another doctor.

“Why?” He asked, seemingly truly surprised, his fair eyebrows – just a shade or two darker than his blond hair - going up.

I looked at Kylie, who was working her way through her second grape lollipop and tried to phrase myself diplomatically, “We didn’t end on the best of terms, all those years ago. Maybe seeing each other on a regular basis won’t be… comfortable.”

He scoffed, “We had a fight 13 years ago, let it go.” He said nonchalant. “Besides, Gramps is the one who usually takes Kylie to these things, today he was busy, that’s all. Plus, she’s a very healthy girl; I don’t expect you’ll be seeing us much at all. And you do come highly recommended.”

“Amy says you almost never pinch her with needles!” Kylie said around her lollipop.

“Amy?” I said, thinking of the names of my patients. “Amy Walsh?” I asked tentatively, quite sure she was the only Amy I had.

“Yup. She’s my best friend in the whole world.” Kylie said.

I smiled, “Well, we all need one of those, don’t we?”

“Yep.”

“Well, if that is all…” Tristan said, a little impatient.

“Oh, yes, we are pretty much done. If you want me to be her doctor, I’ll just need copies of her medical records and depending on that I’ll maybe a general checkup if she’d due for one soon.”

“I have copies of all the papers; I’ll have my secretary forward them to you.”

“We’ll be in contact, then.”

“Say your goodbyes, Kylie.” He said as he swept the girl up into his arms.

“By Doc Jessie.” Kylie said with a grin and I waved at her.

I tried to remain calm as they both left but the second I heard him saying his goodbyes to the receptionist, I put my head on my hands and tried not to freak out.

Then I gave up and called Tess.

--End of Chapter One--

#2 bookgirl103092

bookgirl103092

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Oooohhhh more please!!!

#3 Cool Dork

Cool Dork

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

LOVED IT! i really need to see more of this like now!

Clara

#4 bubba97

bubba97

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

Ooh, I love it already :D

Can't wait for the next update!

-Alexandra

#5 brunette7856

brunette7856

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

That was so interesting :)

Good job and keep up the good work because I like this story :)

Lauren

#6 heykaterpillar

heykaterpillar

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

oh my god! A doctor in love. :heartbeat: This is too awesome! :eusa_clap:

Can't wait for more. Definitely a thumbs up! :lol:

#7 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

Me likes! Can't wait to read more!

*Sammie*

#8 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Clavie?? I seriously LOVE you!!! That was an awesome first chapter!!!! *HUGS and KISSES*

I already like Tristan!!! Posted Image

Man! That sure was awkward....I mean, walking into a Doc office and find a picture of yourself when you were sixteen. Bravo for him for not freaking out!!

And I can't wait to find out what happened between them! And how it all will turn out....though I don't want it to end. Okay, that just don't make sense. But I'm so excited over this story!!!!!

More soon!!!! Very soon!!!

#9 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

oh haha, loved the last line!!!

I love Jess! :heartbeat: And I can't believe she had a pic on her wall of her making out with him - hahahahahha. :heartbeat:

Rivea :icon_flower:

#10 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

Oooohhhh more please!!!

There is more in the way!! :) maybe even a sneak peek soon!

LOVED IT! i really need to see more of this like now!

Clara

Thanks Clara! I'm working on more.

Ooh, I love it already :D

Can't wait for the next update!

-Alexandra

*Grins*
I hope to update very soon! :D

#11 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

That was so interesting :)

Good job and keep up the good work because I like this story :)

Lauren

Thanks!!! :D I will, I hope you'll keep on liking it!

oh my god! A doctor in love. :heartbeat: This is too awesome! :eusa_clap:

Can't wait for more. Definitely a thumbs up! :lol:

Well... Tristan is a lawyer. LOL and the next chapter is from his POV

Me likes! Can't wait to read more!

*Sammie*

Thanks, Sammi! :D More is on the way

#12 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

Clavie?? I seriously LOVE you!!! That was an awesome first chapter!!!! *HUGS and KISSES*

I already like Tristan!!! Posted Image

Man! That sure was awkward....I mean, walking into a Doc office and find a picture of yourself when you were sixteen. Bravo for him for not freaking out!!

And I can't wait to find out what happened between them! And how it all will turn out....though I don't want it to end. Okay, that just don't make sense. But I'm so excited over this story!!!!!

More soon!!!! Very soon!!!

*grins* thanks!
And Tristan is a lawyer so he tends to freak out inwardly while keeping it cool.
The picture is all Tess's fault. I think she was probably the one to put it there.

oh haha, loved the last line!!!

I love Jess! :heartbeat: And I can't believe she had a pic on her wall of her making out with him - hahahahahha. :heartbeat:

*grins*
I love Jess, she's sort of practical, excepts when she freaks out.

#13 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

*grins* thanks!
And Tristan is a lawyer so he tends to freak out inwardly while keeping it cool.
The picture is all Tess's fault. I think she was probably the one to put it there.

Ah. That explains the totally 'relax' reaction then. LOL. I should learn to freak inwardly. That could be very practical! :)

I would imagine so. No way would Jess walk in her office and hang Tristan (Love the name my the way!)'s pic on the wall. That would have been a teeny little bit creepy :D

More soon!!

#14 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Ah. That explains the totally 'relax' reaction then. LOL. I should learn to freak inwardly. That could be very practical! :)

I would imagine so. No way would Jess walk in her office and hang Tristan (Love the name my the way!)'s pic on the wall. That would have been a teeny little bit creepy :D

More soon!!

Yeah, I think the picture is kind of the cheeky thing Tess would do, and forgetting about it and leaving it there until someone else pointed it out, was just the kind of thing that Jess would do.

:D

#15 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

I thought that perhaps it was teaser time!

Gramps frowned, “I could manage the drive to Doctor Allen’s but Kylie didn’t like him. Did you, sugarplum?”

“No! He had those sad clowns on the wall.” Kylie said, barely looking up from the paper placemat she was busy coloring. “She has nicer pictures, though you can’t really see Tris’ face much, since his face is all mashed up together with some girl’s.”

Gramps laughed while I tried not to choke on my own spit. “Kylie, you shouldn’t go around saying things like that.”

“Why not? Gramps asked.” She said.

#16 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

ooh, it's his POV too...

#17 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

ooh, it's his POV too...

Yeah!!! ;)

I'm trying to do one chapter and one chapter in each of their POVs

#18 xx.Phoebe.xx

xx.Phoebe.xx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

You always get it right, Clavie :) Your stories are always so amazing.

I'm excited for this one!

Phoebe

#19 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

You always get it right, Clavie :) Your stories are always so amazing.

I'm excited for this one!

Phoebe

*hugs*

Thanks Phoebe!!!

The new chapter will drop, like Cinderella, at midnight!

#20 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:40 PM

So Yesterday

Chapter Two:
Wonder If I’ll Ever See You Again

Tristan

I was slightly distracted as I drove with Kylie to the pizza parlor near our house, where Gramps was waiting for us. We always had to bribe her with something when the word ‘doctor’ came up.

I kept thinking about Jess and that dammed painting. It had been such a surprise to see it. I had stared at the thing for nearly 5 minutes, trying to decide if the guy there really looked like me or if I was imagining things. If I had looked to the opposite wall, I would have seen the portrait of Jess smiling at an adorable 3-year-old boy who was playing with her stethoscope, and I wouldn’t have had any doubts. I would have known I was about to encounter Jessie and I would have made a run for it.

Jess was not a part of my life that I wanted to revisit any time soon. But then she was there – as beautiful as ever – and I was too shocked to do anything but hide behind indifference, pretending that seeing her again was nothing more than an interesting surprise. I was even stupid enough to refuse when she offered to recommend another doctor for Kylie.

On the other hand, Kylie had liked her, and she had such a hard time liking adults, trusting them; and she had gone through so many changes in her short life that, if she liked Jess, I had no other option than retain her as Kylie’s doctor.

Not that it didn’t make me ten different kind of fool, I thought as I parked and went around the car to open Kylie’s door and help her unbuckle and get out.

Gramps was already waiting for us at our usual table. Kylie, of course, ran toward him with unabashed joy, rushing through the restaurant headless to the other patrons or the waiters and their heavy trays of hot food.

“Hello, sugarplum.” Gramps said as he picked her up. “How did the visit go?”

“It was OK for a doctor,” Kylie said. “She was nice and pretty and she didn’t pinch me with no needles.”

“That’s nice,”

“Yup” Kylie said, nodding emphatically. “She also had a funny picture of Tris on her wall.”

“Really?” Gramps eyebrows went up and he looked at me.

“Yup.”

I produced Jess card from my coat’s pocket and handled it over. I had already memorized the card, the lavender outline, the little teddy bear on the corner and the watermark of the same bear framing her name.

Jessica Mercer. MD.
Pediatrics

Gramps read it, holding the small card away from him and squinting. “Mercer? Jessica Mercer? Isn’t that your Jessie?”

“Not mine.” I said automatically, “but yes, that one.”

Gramps grinned, “Oh! How is she?”

“Fine, I guess. Kylie liked her.” I said, pretending to read the menu, even though we ordered the same thing each time we came here.

“Uh huh.” Gramps said, “And what did you think?”

“She seems capable,” I shrugged. “She looked fine. Told me her little sister just got married.” Gramps nodded, as if to say more, tell me more, but I willfully misunderstood him. “I already told my secretary to send her copies of Kylie’s medical records, and her office isn’t that far away, you should be able to manage it easily.”

Gramps frowned, “I could manage the drive to Doctor Allen’s but Kylie didn’t like him. Did you, sugarplum?”

“No! He had those sad clowns on the wall.” Kylie said, barely looking up from the paper placemat she was busy coloring. “She has nicer pictures, though you can’t really see Tris’ face much, since his face is all mashed up together with some girl’s.”

Gramps laughed while I tried not to choke on my own spit. “Kylie, you shouldn’t go around saying things like that.”

“Why not? Gramps asked.” She said.

I opened my mouth to say something, I wasn’t quite sure what, but then, mercifully, the waiter arrived and I was able to change the topic without it seeming too obvious.

But the subject was not to be dropped, in fact, as I was carrying Kylie into the house later that night; Gramps turned to me and told me.

“You know Tristan, perhaps you should invite your Jessie out here some night. I mean, I know things didn’t end well between the two you but, aside from being your girl, she was your best friend. I’m sure you must miss her.”

“I’ve other friends now, Gramps.” I said. And it was true. Even though we had been living in Baltimore for only the last two years – after a prolonged stay in London, working for an international adoption agency - I had lots of friends. Some old friends from College – Georgetown was a stone throw away, after all - and some I had made through the PTA and Kylie’s baby-soccer league.

There were even some single/divorced parents I sometimes socialized with. So I wasn’t hurting for company.

“Still,” Gramps said. “You have so very little links to the past, Tristan, you shouldn’t lose the ones that have lingered all this time… or the ones that drop into your lap, unexpected.”

“Maybe,” I said noncommittal. But we both knew he had won. “Maybe I could invite the Chipmunk and Dean too, make it more of a family thing, they just got married, you know?”

“That’s not a surprise, those two were chasing after each other since they were little more than babies.” He said now with fondness, then shook himself as we tucked Kylie in. “Call her tomorrow, maybe they can come over this weekend.”

--000--

In the end, I didn’t call though.

Figuring someone had to take Kylie’s files to Jess’ office, I decided to do it myself instead of having my secretary send a currier. Since I didn’t have an appointment this time, I had to wait for a few minutes in the reception area, the receptionist/secretary having assured me that Jess would come any second, if only to usher a patient out and another in.

“She’s very busy today, but I’m sure she’ll see you.” The girl said, a slightly dreamy tone to her voice.

“Thank you.” I said and paced the small area a couple of times, then I heard her voice drifting from somewhere down the hallway, getting stronger as footsteps approached.

“… Just keep giving him the prescription, he should be feeling better in a day or two. If not, bring him back. Ok?”

“All right, thanks.” Another voice answered as Jess came into view walking beside a harried looking young woman carrying a baby in her arms. Her clothes, hair and frantic expression clearly proclaimed her as a new parent.

I knew it because I had looked very much the same when Kylie had first come to Gramps and me, even though she had been a toddler by then.

Jess uttered a few more reassurances and said goodbye before turning to the receptionist. “Who’s next?”

“Mrs. Douglas. But there is also a gentleman here to see you.”

“What gentleman?” Jess said distractedly as she read the chart the receptionist had handled her.

“That would be me,” I said smoothly.

“Tristan,” She said breathlessly, and I had a sudden flashback of her saying my name in just as breathless a tone, as we fumbled with each other’s clothes in the back seat of Gramps car. No one had quite said my name in the same way since then.

“I just came to drop off Kylie’s medical records, like you asked.” I said, waving the many envelopes and folders in my hands.

“How thoughtful,” She said, taking them. “It usually takes parents forever to forward me these.”

“I also came on a mission,” I said, not seeing a reason why to prolong this, as it was clear she was busy and I knew I should be on my way to Kylie’s soccer game. “Gramps wants you to come over for dinner. You and Tess and Dean too, if they want.”

“He does?”

“Yeah, he always had a soft spot for you.” I said slowly. “So, if you guys have some free time…”

“I-uh, I would have to check with Tess, but sure… “

“Great,” I said, as if it didn’t matter. “Saturday sounds good?” I asked as I took out one of my cards and quickly wrote my address and home phone number on the back of it.

“Uh huh, if Tess and Dean are clear, we’ll see you there.” She said, taking the card and dropping it into her lab-coat’s pocket.

“All right,” I said and nodded, not sure exactly how I should extricate myself from her.

“I have to go now, so…”

“Yeah, me too. See you Saturday,”

As I walked toward the parking lot, I couldn’t help feeling a little foolish, wondering just what I had gotten myself into.

----

End of Chapter 2

#21 georgiaice

georgiaice

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

*New reader*

I LOVE THIS!!!! UPDATE UPDATE!!!!

#22 heykaterpillar

heykaterpillar

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:22 AM

Well... Tristan is a lawyer. LOL and the next chapter is from his POV

But Jess is a doctor right? ^_^ A doctor and a lawyer. Awesome! The perfect match. :eusa_clap: hihi

Thanks for the update! Kylie is so adorable :lol: Just can't get enough of this story. :D

#23 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

Kylie is adorable! :') I like it how Tristan keeps it cool, no matter what happens. It's very lawyer-ish, I think.
Anyways, grea update!

*Sam*

#24 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

:D :D :D :D

I'm seriously so happy. And grinning like a fool!

Isn't that your Jessie? Awww......That was sweet!!

And then there was: In the end, I didn’t call though.

I could have bashed him on the head. Then I read and understood that he's going there personally to invite her. So I fell in love with him. Posted Image

More soon Clavie!!! I'm seriously loving this!! Posted Image

#25 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

*New reader*

I LOVE THIS!!!! UPDATE UPDATE!!!!

Thanks!! :D Now I need to work on the update! LOL
*goes to open word doc*

#26 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

But Jess is a doctor right? ^_^ A doctor and a lawyer. Awesome! The perfect match. :eusa_clap: hihi

Thanks for the update! Kylie is so adorable :lol: Just can't get enough of this story. :D

Yup, that's right.
:D
I'll try to finish next chapter soon!

#27 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Kylie is adorable! :') I like it how Tristan keeps it cool, no matter what happens. It's very lawyer-ish, I think.
Anyways, grea update!

*Sam*

Thanks, Sam
I love writing Kids! :D Im glad you guys are liking Kyle.

Tristan is very cool these days, but deep down (not that deep) he's very passionate.

#28 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

:D :D :D :D

I'm seriously so happy. And grinning like a fool!

Isn't that your Jessie? Awww......That was sweet!!

And then there was: In the end, I didn’t call though.

I could have bashed him on the head. Then I read and understood that he's going there personally to invite her. So I fell in love with him. Posted Image

More soon Clavie!!! I'm seriously loving this!! Posted Image

Well, Gramps was very slick, wasn't he?
LOL
And yeah, I kind of wanted to have a mini-cliffy in the middle of the chapter, just for fun,

#29 Cool Dork

Cool Dork

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

I loved it Clavie! "I just can't get enough!" lol

Clara :heartbeat:

#30 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

I loved it Clavie! "I just can't get enough!" lol

Clara :heartbeat:

Thanks so!! I'm working on the next chapter.

#31 bookgirl103092

bookgirl103092

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

A penny for your thoughts (update).

#32 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Agree ;)

#33 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'm in love with Tristan. Seriously. Because he's so unsure and that makes him so....:heartbeat:

Update :) Can't wait for the dinner!

#34 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm working on it! I just sent the draft of next chapter to my friend to see what she thinks...

#35 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

Agree ;)

*grins* Working on it, :D Just waiting for some feedback.

#36 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm in love with Tristan. Seriously. Because he's so unsure and that makes him so....:heartbeat:

Update :) Can't wait for the dinner!

Dinner definitely happening in the next chapter. In fact...

Tristan house was located in the Downtown area, not that far away from my small apartment in Federal Hill. The house wasn’t the biggest on the block but it had a nice big front yard, it looked newly painted in shades of blue, white and mauve, and there was a tiny pink bike – training wheels included – leaning against a flowerbed near the front door.

#37 xx.Phoebe.xx

xx.Phoebe.xx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

I so love your teasers, Clavie. I hate them aswell but mostly love them lol.

If that makes any sense!

Phoebe

#38 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

I so love your teasers, Clavie. I hate them aswell but mostly love them lol.

If that makes any sense!

Phoebe

It does make sense! I would know, I'm a spoiler hound.
LOL

Chapter coming up in the next post

#39 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

So Yesterday

Chapter 3:

Say You’re Nervous But You’re Going

Jess

“Do you want to wear my white dress?” Tess had asked me the night before when I called in complete freak out mode about not knowing what to wear for dinner at Tristan the following night – meaning today, right now, as in we are already 10 minutes late.

I had said I didn’t know and Tess had offered to bring over a few outfits for me to try when she and Dean came to pick me up. Tess wasn’t particularly the girly kind but she owned a ton of designer stuff she had gathered by reaping the perks of being the PA of a rock star.

Right now she was sprawled on her stomach, leafing though a medical journal –squinting and shuddering every so often as she saw the pictures – while I tried on her clothes and Dean waited for both of us in the living room, catching a bit of an Orioles game. Tess looked great in a flowy summer dress and strappy sandals, completely at ease even though I could tell she was excited, she had always liked Tristan and was happy at the prospect of seeing him again.

“What do you think?” I asked as I tried on her famous white dress with the thin red belt.

Tess looked at me, and crooked her head to the side “I think…” she said slowly, “that you need a tan.”

I looked down and frowned, the white did wash me out, as my skin was so pale it looked slightly greenish. Then I looked at Tess who had looked gorgeous in this dress last time I had seen her wearing. “It’s hard to get a tan in the great indoors of the hospital.”

“You should have come to the beach with us last time we asked,” Tess said in a singsong voice. “Not that it matters now,” She said and began to dig through the outfits. “Now, try this one.” She said, tossing a dark purple and mauve zigzag stripped strapless dress at me. “Bright colors might just be the thing. And you do have great boobs.”

“I don’t want to show off my boobs,” I grumbled, but began to strip.

“Is Tristan still as hot as he was?” Tess asked, leaning down to peer at my shoe collection.

“Uh… I guess.” I said, “I didn’t really notice.” Which was a total lie and Tess knew it.

“Trust me, you want to show off your bobs.”

“Girls, we are really late.” Dean called from the living room. “And the scent of this pie is driving me nuts.” He added, knowing him he was probably sniffling around the pie Tess had baked for dessert.

“We found an outfit!” Tess called cheerfully.

“No we haven’t,” I said, tugging at the top of the dress as I heard Dean’s heavy footsteps coming closer.

“Alright then, lets move,” He called through the door, tactful enough not to barge in.

Tess jumped from the bed, tossing some purple flats in my direction and scooting out to talk to him, they were still in the giddy honey-moon phase, which was a bit of a mystery to me since they had known each other since they were four.

I sighed, looking down at the dress, which wasn’t that bad, then grabbing a cropped cardigan and throwing it on as I hopped into my shoes.

Dean drove, humming to the radio without complaining – much –about the pop station Tess had selected, but it was still weird hearing him sing pop when it went against everything he stood for as a rocker… but that’s love, I guess.

Tristan’s house was located in the Downtown area, not that far away from my small apartment in Federal Hill. The house wasn’t the biggest on the block but it had a nice big front yard, it looked newly painted in shades of blue, white and mauve, and there was a tiny pink bike – training wheels included – leaning against a flowerbed near the front door.

All too soon, Dean had parked and we were strolling up to the door, which opened before we could even knock.

“Oh, there is my Chipmunk!” Tristan said with a laugh as he swung Tess off her feet, making her giggle and squeal as if she were twelve.

Back when we had been at school, Tristan had had something of a reputation: he had moved to our town in the middle of sophomore year and no one really knew where he came from; he always called the teachers by their first name – my parents too, which drove them nuts – and there were just so many rumors about him just flying around, plus, he was forever landing in detention, had long hair and knew some swear words I was pretty sure no one had ever heard in our town before he arrived.

Yeah, a lot of people at our high school thought Tristan was dangerous, but they had never seen him pick up my little sister, toss her in the air and call her chipmunk while he kissed her cheeks noisily, much as he was doing now.

Tess was lapping it up, too. Tristan and Tess had adored each other on sight all those years ago, and apparently still did. I wanted to frown but then looked at Dean who was frowning and laughed instead, it was clear that Dean was aware that if there had ever been a guy to give him a run for his money when it came to Tess heart, it was Tristan.

“Chipmunk, you look lovely,” Tristan declared, giving her a half hug before turning to Dean. “I hear Dino here has finally made an honest woman out of you.” He added, doing that weird, half hug/half handshake thing that ends with men pounding each other’s backs.

Dean laughed, “No one has called me Dino since I was twelve.”

Then Tristan turned to me, “Is that pie?” He said in way of greeting, reaching for the dish I was carrying. I nodded and he frowned. “Since when do you bake?”

“I don’t.” I said. “Tess does.”

“It’s Nana’s special recipe,” Tess supplied as Tristan ushered us inside.

Inside the house everything was kind of masculine but almost every available surface was covered with photographs, most of them of Kylie in various stages of her life, starting when she was about three. Of course, the moment Tess saw the photographs she had to investigate.

“These are lovely,” She said, chattering excited. I wandered closer too, looking at all the frames. Tristan’s Grandpa followed her, happy to talk about his granddaughter while Tristan took Dean to the kitchen to get him some beer. I moved to the mantel and looked at the pictures, most of them were of Kylie alone – school portraits, in Halloween costumes, little ballerina outfits – but there were a couple with Grandpa, and some with Tristan.

I lifted one of the frames; it was one of the photos where Kylie looked the youngest, perched up in Tristan arms, with the Big Ben behind them, both of the smiling.

“It’s one of my favorite,” Grandpa said, looking at it. “I took it shortly after Kylie came to live with us in London.”

“It’s lovely, I can make you a portrait out of it, if you want.” Jess offered excitedly.

“I’m not sure, Chipmunk, I’ve seen your artwork.”

“You have?” Tess asked surprised.

“At Jessie’s office. And I don’t mean the one of her with the little kid.”

Tess blanked for a moment, but then smiled mischievously, “Oh, you mean the one of you two… at the movies?” She said that last part very meaningfully, ‘at the movies’ being code for ‘making out like crazy’.

“Yeah, that one, it was very… let’s say, interesting.”

“I painted it from memory,” Tess said proudly, leaning into Dean when he came to stand next to her.

“You have a very twisted memory, Chipmunk.” Tristan said good naturedly, but I knew he wanted to change the subject. “Why don’t we go outback? I got the grill all set up.”

Tristan and Dean were chatting over the grill while Tristan’s Grandfather tossed some salad in the kitchen. And Kylie let Tess and me help her setting up the table, as in Tess and I set the table while she folded colorful paper napkins into shapes we weren’t sure what they were supposed to be, and sprinkled flowers over the wooden picnic table set on the deck overlooking the patio.

Kylie chattered up to us, jumping from topic to topic like only children can.

“Babe, what as the name of that place we worked during freshman year?” Dean called to Tess from the grill. “The one we hated?”

Tess thought for a moment, “Food Station?” she said with a shudder, “Gosh, I hated the place. I honestly didn’t think we would last more than a week, tops.”

“I know,” Dean said. “I think we worked two jobs most of that first year.” Dean told Tristan. “College turned out to be more expensive than we planned.”

Tristan looked quizzical at this, “I thought you had a trust found for college,” he asked Tess.

“Sure, for tuition – not that it was easy to pry it from Grandmother’s cold, jeweled fingers, as she wasn’t pleased with my chosen major, she tried to withhold it, but Dad wouldn’t hear a word about it. Still, I didn’t get all the perks Jess did.”

“Perks?”

“You know, the allowance so I wouldn’t have to work, the apartment so I didn’t have to live in the dorms, the extra money for books, and materials and stuff.”

“Ah. Perks.” Tristan said and I detected just a hint of bitterness in his tone.

---000---

End of Chapter 3

#40 Allthingsstellar

Allthingsstellar

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

ooh...bitterness...why? *intrigued*

Tess and Dean!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

They're soo cute :heartbeat:

Dean drove, humming to the radio without complaining – much –about the pop station Tess had selected, but it was still weird hearing him sing pop when it went against everything he stood for as a rocker… but that’s love, I guess.

awwwwwwwwwww :)

Update soon ;)

#41 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:12 AM

Tess and Dean are adorable together! It's cute and funny how Tristan keeps calling Tess chipmunk. It made me smile like this :)

*Sam*

#42 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

ooh...bitterness...why? *intrigued*

Tess and Dean!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

They're soo cute :heartbeat:

awwwwwwwwwww :)

Update soon ;)

You'll see some of the reasons for the bitterness soon, probably next chapter.

:D and Tess and Dean are being difficult, because they like to take over and I'm like NOOOOOOO you had your story, go be cute in the background.

#43 CrazyClavie

CrazyClavie

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Tess and Dean are adorable together! It's cute and funny how Tristan keeps calling Tess chipmunk. It made me smile like this :)

*Sam*

Tess had very chubby cheeks when she was a kid, you know, the type you just HAVE to squeeze, that's why Tristan called her chipmunk.

#44 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

This story is really interesting! :)

I love it when two people meet again after so many years- you never know what can happen ;)

Seriously though, you need to update, cos I will keep checking this everyday now that its in my mind :D

xxx, Susana :heartbeat:

#45 Shaheen

Shaheen

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Validating
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Clavie, I'm always is a better mood after reading your updates!! :D

Love Tristan. Love Dean, and love the sisters!!Posted Image

More soon!!!

Want to know what's up with Tristan and the bitterness thingy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users