29 replies to this topic

#1 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Heya all!

Please post any banners you've created on here for the 2010 Vertigo Awards. As per usual, there are no limits to what you can do in terms of your creations. I only ask that you please include the relevant Award category (e.g. That Ron Weasley) and '2010 Vertigo Awards' somewhere on the banner. if we have more than one for each category, a special guest judge will choose the ones used for the winner. If you're posting banners here, please make sure to include a proper disclaimer (with links attached).

The six categories are:

:spinstar: Amazing Wordsmith
:spinstar: Hook, Line & Sinker
:spinstar: Romeo & Juliet
:spinstar: I Scream, You Scream
:spinstar: Picture This
:spinstar: That Ron Weasley

The deadline for all banner submissions is Thursday, 23rd December, 2010. Many thanks for your help!

With a whole lot of :heartbeat:

Ali

#2 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

Is this okay?

Posted Image

Disclaimer:

Original Image: Writing Pen
Original Artist: Epiac1216
Image adapted by: Maria (rockgal)

#3 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Posted Image

How about this?

-Nikki

#4 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

So you just make a banner that looks like it fits the catagory, or does it have to be for a particular story?

#5 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

^^ Just that fits the category.

#6 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

In that case, here's my entry:

Posted Image

Original image title: Sky Image
Link: http://media.photobu...660/sky.jpg?o=3
Original artist: kcb7660
Image adapted by: Hannah (Dramagirl aka me)

Is that okay?

#7 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Heya all!

Thanks so much, guys! There's no need to ask whether it's okay or not 'cause they're all fantastic so far!

Basically, you can make whatever banner you like really, just as long as it has the Award category and '2010 Vertigo Awards' somewhere on the banner, then, all is fine and dandy! :D

NikkiandEm, would it be possible to please include the banner disclaimer details as well?

Many thanks to you all again, and please keep them coming! :)

Lots of :heartbeat:!

Ali

#8 ran

ran

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

I am sorry but I am really confused about the vertigo awards. I thought they were about writing but then why are they banners. I know, the banners are for the winners. More information Ari! Please...

#9 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

What kind of info are you after specifically, just because the Vertigos are based on writing, but, winners get the banners as "prizes", which will be posted onto the first post of the relevant story. As we normally have more than one banner for each category (but, perhaps, we may not this time round), we have a special guest judge (in the past, Clavie, Teph and Mel have been guest judges, for example) who will normally pick two from the ones created, which will be the ones posted onto the winning threads.

Let me know, if you have any further questions, and I'll be happy to go into more details! :)

Ali

#10 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

Huh??

By the way are you allowed to submit more than one banner?

#11 ran

ran

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

Should we make banners for picture this? Seeing the award is about the banner it would seem weird to give them another banner as a prize.

#12 NikkiandEm

NikkiandEm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Heya all!

Thanks so much, guys! There's no need to ask whether it's okay or not 'cause they're all fantastic so far!

Basically, you can make whatever banner you like really, just as long as it has the Award category and '2010 Vertigo Awards' somewhere on the banner, then, all is fine and dandy! :D

NikkiandEm, would it be possible to please include the banner disclaimer details as well?

Many thanks to you all again, and please keep them coming! :)

Lots of :heartbeat:!

Ali

i made the image on polyvore.com. it was made originally by me, and the pictures in it are from polyvore as well.

-Nikki

#13 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Huh??

By the way are you allowed to submit more than one banner?

Sorry, what is confusing? Yes, you can submit as many banners as you like for as many (or all of them) categories as you wish.

Should we make banners for picture this? Seeing the award is about the banner it would seem weird to give them another banner as a prize.

Yes, we still normally do have banners, as they're ultimately considered as "prizes".

You can see what's happened with previous Award winners/banners on THIS thread, for example.

Many thanks, guys! :)

#14 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Nikki, unfortunately, we need the actual links and not just the web address for the site, so, anyone viewing it can access the original image. At the moment, I'm trying to read through Polyvore's Terms and Conditions, simply because we can't accept any banners that are composed of copyrighted images, and so, I'm not too sure whether the images on your banner would be free for use or not.

In general, we advise sticking with websites where images are free to be used in whichever manner, as permitted by the original creator. We used to have a list up of sites (of course, there are plenty others, but, you'd need to read the Terms and Conditions section), which have lots of free images:

:spinstar: If you would like to use images for your banners, a good place to start would be the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license gallery on Flickr. This gallery has nearly 30 million images, which are all available for your use. Please note that there are two other Flickr galleries, where you may also find images to your liking (Please see the Attribution Non-Commercial gallery and the Attribution-Share Alike gallery). However, images in these two galleries are subject to some other conditions, whilst, using any other images found on Flickr may see you violating copyright and all that jazz.

If you are seeking other sites for images to use, below is a list, with many thanks to Penny for providing it to us! Please note that none of the sites below have any affiliation at all with MCMB. If you are concerned about copyright issues, please always consult each and every site’s terms and conditions for further information or contact the site itself, and please ensure that you are aware that terms and conditions may change at any given time without notice.

Other sources for free images available online:

:spinstar: morgueFile.com – This site has plenty of free images, which are available for your use. Please search in the Free Photos archive.

:spinstar: FreePhotosBank.com – These images are free for your use.

:spinstar: STOCKVAULT.net – These images are available for your use.

:spinstar: freedigitalphotos.net – All images here are available for your use. You may, however, wish to buy high resolution versions, which are available at a cost.

:spinstar: TurboPhoto.com – Please only use images from the Free Photos or the Free Stock Images gallery, unless, you wish to pay for the usage of all other photos available on the site.

:spinstar: openphoto.net – Most images here are free for your use. However, please check the ‘License’ in the details section to the right of the image. The only images you may use are those that indicate they are under an ‘Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike’ license, which is the safest option. Otherwise, ‘Attribution-Non-Commercial’ or ‘Attribution-Share Alike’ licensed images may be used, but, these are subject to some restrictions.

The following sites require you to register as a member. Registration is free!

:spinstar: freerangestock.com – This site has plenty of images, which are all available for your use. However, you will need to register as a member.

:spinstar: stock.xchng – This site has many free images available. When registering, however, you are required to enter in personal details (including home address and phone number, etc.), which I know many people are not comfortable with doing. Hence, you may be better off using any of the other sites above.

There are, no doubt, many other sites available for images. Regardless of which ones you use, please ensure that your images don’t clash with copyright laws and licenses. Otherwise, you may face possible serious legal consequences. Hence, you may run a great risk, if you choose to use a search engine like Google Images for your banners. For all other circumstances, where you are retaining and not modifying the original artist’s work at all, you are more than welcome to use Google Images, and other search engines. Depending on your particular use of that image, it is strongly encouraged that you reference where the image came from, but a full banner disclaimer may not be necessary

#15 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image
Original Picture: Writing by Tony Hall
Brushes: obsidiandawn.com
Adapted by: Alice/Dancing.InTheRain

Posted Image
Original Picture: These Days by Berenice
Brushes: obsidiandawn.com

-Alice (:

#16 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image

Original image title: Love of Books
Link: http://www.stockvaul...4/love-of-books
Original artist: It doesn't say...?
Image Adapted by: Hannah (me)

#17 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image

Original Images:
Open Book by Jen Watson
Weapon of Choice by Aaron Fruth
Slip Below the Surface by Kurt Faler
Fishing Lines by Eric Magnuson

-Alice (:

#18 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Disclaimer:
Original Image:Rose or Rose and pearls on Satin
Original Artist:Funlovingvolvo
Image adapted by: rockgal

Spoiler

Edited by rockgal, 07 December 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#19 SunnyRobot123

SunnyRobot123

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

How do i post the banner on here? i cant figure it out

#20 SunnyRobot123

SunnyRobot123

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

C:\Users\Kevin and Chantell\Pictures\ASingleRedRose4.jpg

dang that didnt work

Edited by SunnyRobot123, 10 December 2010 - 01:43 AM.

#21 ran

ran

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

Decided I would post to help you out Robot!

Okay you need a photobucket or similar account then post the picture there and type the html address into the photo box which is ^ in the toolbar next to the link symbol and a speech bubble.

There you go,
Ran

#22 SunnyRobot123

SunnyRobot123

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

http://s1233.photobu...gleRedRose4.jpg

#23 SunnyRobot123

SunnyRobot123

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

[IMG]http://i1233.photobu...eRedRose4-1.jpg[/img]

Posted Image

Edited by SunnyRobot123, 10 December 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#24 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

...and I'm back, yet again... .____." So bored. xD

Posted Image
Original Image:Jump! by nataliej
Brush from: Obsidiandawn.com

#25 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

Here's another one!

Posted Image

Original Image title: Dark room
Link: http://media.photobu...G_0009.jpg?o=47
Original artist: nosmo420
Image adapted by: Me

#26 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

The result of more boredom... xD
I completely overdid the hearts -oops- ^^;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both banners have the same credits (:
Original Image: couple enjoy the sunset, day 185, 4/7/2010, 365/2010 by Paul Bratcher
Brushes: EgoBox
Adapted by: Dancing.InTheRain / Alice

#27 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Dancing.In.The.Rain, your banners are really good. What do you use to make them?

Posted Image

Original image title: Walking on a Rainbow
Original upload date: August 11th, 2006
Original artist: Sharon Pruitt
Image adapted by: Me

#28 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

Thankss ^^; Your banners are awesome too :3
I use Photoshop (:
I'm trying to figure out how to use gimp right now. I'm finding it a bit confusing, but it's probably just me...
If you want it you can download it here or here (this one's the portable version, so you can install on a usb or something). It's freee ^___^ Cause we all love free stuff~ Haha.
If you want brushes and stuff this, is a good site: obsidiandawn.com
Alrighty, I'm done blabbering now. ^^"

-Alice (:

#29 Dramagirl221

Dramagirl221

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

I already have GIMP, but you're right, it's REALLY CONFUSING!!!! So I mostly use paint.net and yeahhh.

We have an old version of photoshop but I never really got around to trying to use it. Your banners are making me reconsider that though ;)

#30 Dancing.InTheRain

Dancing.InTheRain

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Ooh, cool xD
I'm using an old version too xD ...Photoshop 7, I think? And yeah, I've used paint.net before too, on my old computer ^^ I actually think the interface is kinda similar to photoshop, so yeaah, you should try it =D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users