172 replies to this topic

#91 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Haha I really like Vida.

She seems like she's a really sweet girl. She has a lot of determination, like her mom. Even though Malena has been pretty horrible to her, Vida still loves her mom and wants her to be happy again. I'm not sure I could've done that at her age... actually, I'm not sure if I could do that now.

I feel sorry for her. I wish Malena would accept her. It's not Vida's fault that she was raped.

:heartbeat: Sara

#92 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

yay! you made page 3!! *dances*

sorry if im asking a lot of questions. its just that i like the way you answer! xD xD so deep and understandable and i like how you phrase things.

so if you don't mind, can you answer another question for me again? *looks hopeful*

what do you think of linares and dante? like, how do you feel about them for malena? :D :D

#93 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hahaha I'm flattered. :D

Hmm... I like Linares pretty well. We haven't seen too much of him, though. I love the fact that he's so loyal to Malena. I mean, it'd been ten years since he'd seen her and he still loved her enough to look for her. However, guys like that, who think girls are more like property than anything else, are pretty irritating. I especially didn't like the way he announced that they were engaged at her party. I mean, they'd just reunited after being apart for so long... he really shouldn't have tried to rush it. He seems like he'd be really clingy too, which I'm sure Malena wouldn't like.

Dante is a different matter entirely. :) He actually respects his mistress and he admires her because of her strength. He acts like her friend and not her superior, just because he's a man. And I like the fact that he's protective but he's not all over her, like Linares is. I mean, I like Linares and everything, but Dante is... Dante. I really like that he's in love with Malena but he's not going to claim her as his territory. If I were Malena, I'd definitely pick Dante. :D

#94 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

oh oh i love your explanation. you explained everything so much better than i could!! :heartbeat:

awww i want dante and malena to be together <3 theyre an awesome pair!!!

okay, another question lol :D :D please don't get irritated by me! >__<

1)would you have a demon butler (lets say its someone like Dante) of your own, even though you know of the consequences of the contract?

2)regardless of the first question, what would you ask Dante to do if he were? xD

#95 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

Haha don't worry about it!

1) Probably not. I mean, I'm not exactly sure of what the consequences are, but I know they wouldn't be good. If there weren't consequences, definitely. But then again, consequences are the only thing stopping me from doing a million things...

2) Hmm... I don't really know. I guess it would depend on the situation. If I wanted revenge on someone I would definitely have him help me plan it.

Haha not really profound answers... :blush:

#96 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

haha tis ok! ^_^

i also wonder what the consequences are. i mean its clear that its about her soul...she'll definitely go straight to hell or something O_O

you're as loyal to this story as i am, arent you? ;) when i click on this thread, i usually see your username appear on the users list below lol.

#97 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing one of the consequences would be going to hell, but I don't know.

Haha I guess I am... I never really thought about it that way... ;)

#98 *<Alenaire>*

*<Alenaire>*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for commenting guys! ^_^ and woah, you made page 3 so quickly lol

It's nearly the end of this story O_O Probably 2 more updates and it's finished. But my updates are long. They range from 10-13 pages on Word, and there are a lot of things that can happen in 10-13 pages :P

I'm in my grandmama's house right now (I've been here since two days ago), and I'm sooo glad she has broadband internet. She didn't use to have this until last year. My grandmama's a high-tech lady ;) I don't have anything productive to do in her house except use my laptop and write updates. I usually spend most of the afternoon typing up updates for you guys. :) Sometimes I lose track of dates. Like this afternoon, after I typed this update, I was like, "What day is it again? Monday? Sunday?" lol. It's Tuesday today.

I think. haha. *checks* oh yes, I'm correct.

I'm probably going to type updates each day so this story will be finished in two days probably, if I don't have anywhere to go or my grandmama and cousins don't drag me out of the house for sightseeing. They had been threatening to do that actually haha. Well, after I finish this story, I'm going to take a break from writing for awhile. I'm going to start marathoning the Asian drama DVD's I've taken with me from home ^_^ WHOOOT.

I hate mosquitoes. They are sooo annoying and ichy and UGHH detestable! There are a bunch of 'em here and I truly wonder what's their good use in this world. If they are just really annoying pests meant to be vampire-wannabes, then the whole lot SHOULD DIE.

Malena and Dante arrived at their manor before the sun had set, and they were welcomed graciously with bows and curtsies from the servants. The servants had actually expected the lady to stay much longer in the Ostrea manor, that when they had seen the carriage roll by, they were in an immediate frenzy as they scampered to their positions behind the wrought iron gate.

Vida, whom the young maids liked to call ‘little Miss’, also stood beside them as they greeted the lady and her butler. During the few weeks that Malena had stayed with the Ostrea family, the little girl had stolen the hearts of almost every servant there was in the manor, and they treated her like their mistress’ own daughter. The little Miss Vida was too charming and sweet that even her angelic smile warmed the callous heart of the Head Chef.

“Welcome back, mother,” Vida said as the young lady passed her. The lady did not answer, but continued to walk towards the manor with her butler behind her.

“Is she truly your mother?” one of the young maids whispered to the little girl, slightly bending her knees to be at the girl’s height.

“Of course she is,” Vida said confidently.

The young maid straightened, puzzled. Perhaps she was truly the daughter of the Lady Malena and Lord Linares. She whispered her belief to the maid next to her, who whispered it to the knave beside her. This gossip spread fast among the servants, and they began to look with renewed respect at the child.

Days later, back in the manor, the Baron of Ostrea prepared for his visit to the town of Beata. The pentacle on the sole of his foot throbbed with pain. He knew very well that it was telling him that the contract to the demon was ending soon; very soon. He needed to kill one last person to complete this. He smiled to himself. This was going to go according to his plan. Both he and the lady were going to Hell together for repentance of their sins.

He called for his adviser, and they set off for the town of Beata. His daughter had pleaded that she should come visit the Lady as well, but he did not allow her whims to affect him. He did not love his daughter as he should, but even so, he did not want her to see the horrible sight that would undoubtedly befall the Lady of whom she admired so grandly. The carriage jostled on the jagged road, knocking his head slightly against the seat.

Against his will, he recalled those times when he, Salvador and Ermita would take trips to the nearest city. Ermita had been the playful type, and when he would loose his balance on the carriage, she would laugh at him; but that laugh sparkled not with malice, but pleasantness. He had always loved the way her naturally red lips turned up into a smile, and loved the expression in her dark brown eyes when she turned to look at him. It pained him to think about the woman. It pained him so much that he had to clutch the front of his coat, wincing. It was all because of Malena; the lady who reminded him of the past. That was why he intended to kill her; to destroy the only remaining reminder of his jealousy and hatred.

But before he could push through with his plan, he had to have a word with the elites of the town of Beata. He preferred telling the women, as he knew they were not quite fond of the lady. Luke had informed him of a gathering that occurred in the House of Watkins every mid-afternoon. During this time, they had their tea and biscuits, and gossiped about every topic imaginable. He knew that they were old crones, and that they had nothing else to do in their life but gossip about someone else’s. But this reason was exactly why he was so keen on attending this gathering.

The House of Watkins was an old town building that used to be a hall for private balls and parties. It was still used for such, but another building had been established a year ago, which was much grander, and many people preferred it.

The gathering was located on the second story of the establishment, and when he pushed open the double doors, he saw the crones chatting amiably with each other over tea and scones. There were less than fifteen of these women, and when they heard the door creak, they turned their well made-up faces into his direction. They did not seem pleased to be interrupted.

“Good afternoon, dear ladies.” The Baron took his hat and swept them a graceful bow. “I am the Baron Ramon. If you do not mind,” he strolled to where they sat around a white clothed table, “I would like to join in your discussion, whatever it may be.”

The women exchanged meaningful glances with each other. They did not seem to like a man in their midst. A woman spoke, making up her mind to become the envoy of the committee. She had auburn hair that was tucked neatly into her bonnet, and there were visible lines around her dark eyes. “My name is Leila, and I am the wife of Charles Binghay, the town mayor.” She curtsied to the man, then straightened; her back as straight as a rod. She had a dominating aura about her, which granted an admiring glance from the Baron.

“I do not think it is suitable for a man to enter a woman’s premises,” the woman said.

The waiter wheeled in a cart laden with desserts.

“I assure you, madam,” the Baron looked at the lady with indefatigable eyes, “that I will do nothing to get in your way.” His eyes flickered maliciously. “In fact, I would like to add a few things to your discussion.”

The auburn-haired lady could not conceal her interest in the elderly man. If he generated more rumors for the gossip, it was all well.

“You may take your seat then,” the lady said, gesticulating towards the empty chair across her.

“My pleasure.” The Baron walked with long, graceful strides, and sat down on the chair, helping himself to the teacakes that the waiter distributed dutifully. He knew that the women studied him with unease, and he knew just the thing to alleviate them of their augmenting discomfort. After taking a forkful of his cake, and a sip of his tea, he cleared his throat and began to speak. “Do you ladies remember the large fire that enveloped the Rosello manor ten years ago?”

The ladies nodded, suddenly riveted. They were always attentive when it came to rumors about the Lady Malena and her family. There were only a few who had the audacity to slander her name; and those who did, only do so because of spite or jealousy.

“Do you not find it strange that only the butler and the young lady escaped unscathed?” the Baron asked, entertained by the expression the ladies had on their faces.

“What are you suggesting?” a brunette-haired woman asked, sipping her cup of tea delicately.

“I would like to think that there was no way for the young lady to want to leave the manor without helping her parents escape. She is a person who loves her parents very much, yet why did only she and the butler remain?”

“Perhaps the butler only sought for the lady’s safety and took her away before the fire consumed their path,” one of the women suggested. “Maybe there was no way for the Lord and Lady of Rosello to be saved.”

Ramon stroked his chin, which was rough with stubble. “That may be true. However, is it not strange that there were three extra corpses found after the fire?”

“Perhaps they were guests.”

“Let me tell you lovely ladies something.” Ramon gave a conspiratorial smile and leaned forward on the table. “The sole reason that I am here in this town is because I have been given interesting news from a witness who just passed away a few days ago.” He looked up at the ceiling as if it pained him to continue. “The witness testified that the three carcasses belonged to three of the workers of the Flor Fina factory. They visited the manor to beseech the Lord Salvador.” He leaned forward, his face darkening. The ladies followed him with their ears strained. “The witness, whose name I cannot disclose, told me of the sudden odd light that appeared in the Master’s chamber. She was looking from afar, you see, and the window could easily be seen from her view. She heard many gunshots in the manor, and she could not move from where she stood.”

“Gunshots?” Lady Leila echoed, her eyes growing wide with curiosity. “What happened thereafter?”

“She saw the young Lady Malena and her butler walk out of the manor without a scratch on their bodies. A few minutes later the house was covered in flames.” The Baron leaned back in his seat and took a bite of his scone.

“Are you saying that the Lady Malena killed her parents and the laborers?” a woman with pale blonde hair asked, unconvinced. “There is no reason for the lady to do that.”

“I am sure most of you know how influential the lady is now,” Ramon said smoothly. The women bobbed their heads in agreement. “She has gained dominance ever since that tragic day.”

“Are you implying that she killed her parents for power?” the auburn-haired woman said incredulously. There was no way that the beautiful lady would do such a thing.

“Yes, why not?” Ramon gave her a look of candor. “You do not know the lady too well to judge her character. I have been with her since she was still a small child, and I have the power to corroborate my statement.”

“But she needn’t have to kill her parents,” one woman said. “They would be willing to give it to her if she asked.”

The Baron shook his head. “That was not the case. The Lord Salvador was not planning on giving her the Flor Fina factory. In fact, he had intended to give it to the three laborers.”

The women considered this in their heads. It was true that they did not know her personally, and they did not have the right to judge her character. But this man that was in their midst, told of the tale of how she killed everyone in her household, then burned her manor which contained the evidence of her heinous crime. If this were true, then the lady of whom so many people admired, was a terribly wicked woman who deserved to live in the jailhouse for many years indeed. They women’s anger was sparked. They regarded the late Lord and Lady of Rosello with profound respect, and the thought of knowing that they were killed by the hands of their beloved only daughter, made their ire almost irrepressible.

“And there is more,” Ramon continued. The women looked startled. There were more rumors of the Lady Malena that they did not know about? Their regard for her had ebbed away entirely.

“Will you believe me if I said that she has made a contract with the Devil?” Ramon asked.
There was a collective gasp from the ladies, and they pressed their lace gloved hands to their lips, their eyes wide.

“That cannot be!” one of the women exclaimed. “That cannot be true. I thought that it was merely a tale from the Sacred Texts; that it was concocted by silly writers…”

“Bite your tongue!” the auburn-haired woman reprimanded harshly. “Nothing from the Sacred Texts is fabricated!” She turned impatient eyes towards the Baron. “And so, what if I do not believe what you are saying?”

“Then you are at a loss. The demon is in fact, her butler,” Ramon replied. A small smile tugged at his lips when the women gasped once more.

“Impossible!” two of them exclaimed at once.

“That cannot be!”

“This is an absolute lie.”

Ramon shrugged. “Have you not questioned why he has not aged in the past ten years?”

The women were silent. They had, in fact, observed this. They had initially thought that he was a man who aged gracefully, or a man who had been given the graces of having beautiful skin which did not crease even when time passed.

“This is not enough concrete evidence to show that the Lady Malena has made a pact with the Devil,” the Lady Leila said. She knew how very dangerous this was; if it turned out that the lady was indeed in such an agreement. The Lady would be burned at the stake. This was what the Sacred Texts proposed they do to the Devil’s followers. It was said that the fire would purify the evil that dwelled in the soul of man. Despite the sudden rush of fury at the Lady Malena’s crime of parricide, she did not hate her enough to watch her be put at the stake for everyone to see her ablaze in flame.

“I find it odd that the Lady has sudden control over many people in this country of Seville,” Ramon said. “She even has influence over the Kapitan Heneral!”

The women exchanged glances. What the man said was true, and there was nothing to deny it.

“Do you not think it is because of the powers she has gained from the pact with the Devil? No one can have that kind of influence in just the span of ten years.” Ramon’s smile broadened when he saw the women’s nervous looks.

“You will also find the sign of the pentacle anywhere on her body.” Ramon bit the last piece of scone. “I am sure she has it.”

“And what if we don’t find it?” Lady Leila asked, lifting a supercilious gaze. “What will we do to you if we find that you have lied to us?”

Ramon chuckled, and stood up from his seat. “You do not have to worry about any punishment for me, ladies. I am not lying.” He walked to the door, holding his hat near his heart. He swept them a low bow. “I am pleased that I have made your acquaintance. Thank you for everything, lovely ladies. Please carry on with your previous discussion.” He slipped out of the door before the women could even utter a single word.

He whistled to himself, completely contented with what he had done. By planting a seed of malice in their hearts, he had successfully ruined Malena’s reputation. She would not be missed when she would be gone from this world. She would be hated for all eternity, and her crime of making a contract with a demon would be written in book after book and would be passed on verbally to each generation.

“How did it go, my master?” Luke asked as he opened the carriage door for him.

“It went perfectly.” The Baron’s smile was sinister. “The contract will finally end in a few days, and I will have my peace.”

“Yes, my master.”

~†~

Linares visited his fiancées manor once again. What greeted him was not a kiss from Malena, which he knew would never happen but wished it nevertheless, but the happy squeals of the young Vida. He twirled her into his strong arms, and she tossed her head back in delight. After a few minutes, he knelt down to put her back to her feet.

“Where is Mal—“ he stopped himself, “—your mother?”

“She is upstairs with Dante,” Vida replied, her cheeks pink from the physical exertion.

“I will go to her to present myself,” Linares said, standing up from his kneeling position.

“I will go with you,” Vida said, smiling. She took her father’s big hand in her small one, and ascended the wide carpeted stairs together. They arrived in front of Malena’s office door, and both of them knocked on it at the same time.

“Come in.” They both heard Malena’s voice distinctly from behind the wooden door, and both their hands turned the knob.

When Malena saw the both of them enter, she scowled. She did not want to entertain both of these unwanted people. She had many things to do, and documents that she still had to peruse then approve.

Linares bowed to his lady, and Vida followed by bobbing a fine curtsy. She wore a dress that one of the maids had sewn especially for her, and though the fabric was coarse and plain, the color was exceptionally vivid; representing the very soul of its bearer.

“You have come again Linares,” Malena said frigidly, going through the papers in her hand. “Do you not have your own business to maintain?”

“I have taken my leave for a week, and have left my business with my trusted assistant. I care more about you after all.” Linares grinned at her, but Malena did not even look up from her papers to notice.

“Leave me,” she said. “I will entertain you come suppertime. I do not have time for this idle chatter.”

Linares was hurt, but he could not do anything about it. He knew how busy she was, and he would be merely a hindrance to her progress. “Very well,” he sighed. He took Vida’s hand, which had gone plumper over the months, and went out the door.

~†~

It was happening once more. It was only after a few days did she feel the fear suddenly pricking her nape. She felt the sweat dribble down the sides of her face, and she knew something was coming. She had felt the same sensation the night Luke had come to her chamber with a killing intention. He was coming once again, she was certain of it. She didn’t think that her uncle would have moved so quickly. She had given herself a few more days until she allowed herself the first move, but now she could see that there was no need to wait after all.

She straightened up in bed, the blankets a mass around her hips.

“What is it, my lady?” Dante asked, leaning towards his mistress with a candle in one hand.

“Open the windows,” she ordered.

Dante did what he was told, and pushed away the thick curtains which obscured the moonlight. He had not even begun to open the windows when a face he knew appeared before him, shattering the glass into tiny glistening fragments. Dante had already moved to grab his mistress in his arms before the other demon could even step foot in the chamber.

“I envy your dexterity, Dante.” The moonlight poured in through the glassless window, and it illumed the shadowy figure that held up a dark object in his hand. The article in his hand did not make a sound even when his finger pulled a lever, but Dante was quick, and he held in his hand the bullet that came out unobtrusively.

“So this is your new present for my mistress?” Dante asked, releasing the bullet in his hand. It clattered noisily to the floor, rolling towards the underside of the bed. “I think I preferred the blade, Luke.”

Luke smiled hollowly. “This is not a time to be choosy.” He began pulling the trigger again and again, but each bullet merely bounced against Dante’s palm, clattering to the floor like useless inanimate objects.

“Why do you have such extraordinary power?” Luke asked, lowering the gun to his side. “I have lived for four centuries, yet I still cannot attain such strength as yours. You are truly a worthwhile opponent.”

“I have lived more years than you I’m afraid,” Dante said, kneeling down and picking up one bullet from the pile on the floor. Malena was staying curled in his arms like an infant, and she could not do anything else but stare at the two men whose recent combat had made her restless.

“Luke,” Malena spoke, using this opportunity to ask the pawn before attempting her next move, “What is your master’s sole purpose?”

“Revenge,” Luke answered unpretentiously. “He has killed your parents and now he aims to kill you.” Dante silenced him by flinging the bullet he had in his fingers, towards the demon’s chest. Luke’s mouth stopped moving at once, and the pistol fell from his hand. Black blood emerged from the small hole in his body.

Dante felt Malena tremble in his arms, and he held on tighter to her anxiously.

“Dante, let us meet the Baron.”

“Yes, my lady.”

With his mistress in his arms, he leapt out of the window, leaving Luke, who had his back against the wall, clutching his chest as the dark blood continued to seep from the mortal wound. Dante jumped noiselessly on one rooftop after another, until he caught sight of the opulent inn which the Baron currently occupied. He adjusted his eyes to the blackness of each room, until he could see the Baron’s rotund figure by a bedpost. He appeared to be waiting.

Dante shattered the window smoothly with a strike of one hand. The moonlight reflected each shard of glass lying haplessly on the rug, and Malena could only stare at the pale moon’s reflection, knowing that if she did not hold on to her sanity, she was going to fall even more deeper than she already had.

“You have defeated my demon,” the Baron said imperturbably, even when a glass shard grazed past his cheek, causing a fine red line.

Dante released his mistress from his hold, and she stepped onto the rug, careful not to step on the glittering fragments. She lifted her head and looked the Baron in the eye. She finally found the person who killed her family. This was her vengeance. He was standing in front of her, unarmed. But as she looked at the graying hairs on his head and the deep wrinkles around his eyes, she could only wonder. What persuaded him to kill her beloved family?

“You must tell me your reasons, Baron,” Malena commanded, her voice composed.

The Baron’s laughter was empty; like a hollow shell. “You do not need to know. Death is preferable.” He walked to a table, and opened its drawer forcefully, revealing a revolver. “I didn’t think I would lose in this game.” He took the revolver in his hands carefully. “I certainly did not think my demon was incapable of defeating you.” He looked at Malena with a sardonic smile twisting his lips. “Only when I face death do I feel ashamed of my actions. I cannot ask you to forgive me, as I know you never would.” The Baron raised the revolver in his hand, but to Malena’s astonishment, it did not point towards her, but to the side of his head. “This is my atonement. I can never tell Salvador or Ermita about how much I regret everything. I cannot tell them that the only reason that I have hated them for so long is because I loved them so deeply.” His eyes started to fill with tears, and he closed his eyes painfully, the tears streaking down his blemished cheeks. He pulled the trigger. There was no sound that came from the revolver, but the only indication that he was indeed dead was the way his body started folding backwards. He fell to the ground with a thump.

“Even the simplest reasons can turn a man against his better judgment,” Dante said, crossing the floor to kneel beside the Baron’s corpse. “This man is a victim of jealousy. He loved your father and mother very much, that when he learned of their engagement, his love turned to hatred with depths equal to the love he so formerly nurtured.”

Malena still stood by the window in a stationary vacuousness. “How do you know of that?”

“It is only an assumption which I think may be accurate,” Dante replied. “Come here, my lady.” He held out his hand to his mistress. She took it gently, and knelt beside him. When she saw what was happening to the Baron, she could not stifle a shudder. The sudden break of skin started from the sole of his bare foot, which she found had the pentacle sign engraved to it. His skin crackled like broken glass, and it continued to spread across his whole body, consuming him like a plague. He now looked like a glass statue, forever wearing a mask of sadness on his cracked face.

Dante caught a tear that travelled down the Baron’s glazed cheek with a pad of his index finger. The body shattered at last, with particles of gleaming substances floating in the air like mist. There was no solid matter left that could insinuate that a body used to lie on the rugged floor, except for a small marble which glowed resplendently in the shimmer of the moonbeam. It lay nestled in the thick fur of the rug.

“What is that, Dante?” Malena asked. There was something glowing inside of it, and it caused her heart to lurch.

“That, my lady, is his soul.” Dante looked over his shoulder to the window. “He is coming for it.”

“Who?” Malena wanted to ask, but Dante had pressed her against his chest, and was moving both of them away from the glowing soul.

Malena saw the head of a serpent appear from the windowsill. Its scales glowed incandescent in the shaft of light, and she saw it slither gradually towards the direction of the soul, past the jagged edges of the window which did not sever its skin. There was a black smear which tarnished its beautiful scales, but as she narrowed her eyes to get a better view, she could see that the black liquid came from a wound on its underside. When the serpent reached its destination, it raised its head and seized the small object into its mouth.

Malena was startled, and she unconsciously clasped her butler’s vest.

“Do you wish to go home?” the butler asked softly. Malena turned her face away from the serpent whose scales started to lift ominously, and buried herself into his chest.

“Let us leave.”

“Yes, my lady.”

Leah: Haha, why am I going to get mad at Pam? lol. I don't want her to get all wrinkled like a prune because of me. I know school's stressing her out >__< I posted on her wall on facebook already :) And sure lol. You can have Linares! haha
Nikki: Heya! =) nice to know that you're back here! *hugs* and thanks! I never really considered whether my story's predictable or not, lol. But when I saw your post and you said that you thought Linares was going to save the day, I started wondering. Did I make out Linares to look like the hero?

Much♥,
Tanya

#99 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

That was an awesome update!

I'm glad Malena doesn't have to worry about Ramon anymore. The snake was creepy though... :mellow:

And, as always, I love Dante! :D

Update soon!

#100 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Amy:Awww 10 years ago? That's wayy long. So you guys were like 4 years old then? wow. I don't remember much memories when I was that young.

I only remember some parts. Those parts stand out from the rest which is like a blur. Still, :/ .

I loved the updates Tanya. Nooooooooooo. I'm beginning to doubt whether Malena will end up with anyone. Probably not. *dies*

I felt so sorry for the baron...and lucky Malena managed to sign a contract with Dante. He seems so much better than Luke. :lol: I still can't believe Cassandra had Dante. Meh. True, only for like...a little bit. But still. SEE!?

I hope Malena won't perish like Ramon. *cringe*
NOOOOOOOOO. She can't live with Dante forever anyway. *cries*

I see the update has made me very emotional. -.-

-Amy

#101 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

OMGGG!!! O_O the update was awesome. awesome. awesome. there are too many things i like about it i can begin to type it all down.

That was an awesome update!

I'm glad Malena doesn't have to worry about Ramon anymore. The snake was creepy though... :mellow:

And, as always, I love Dante! :D

Update soon!

i have an idea to who the snake is. i think the snake is Luke in another form O_O because there was a wound there on his underside

I only remember some parts. Those parts stand out from the rest which is like a blur. Still, :/ .

I loved the updates Tanya. Nooooooooooo. I'm beginning to doubt whether Malena will end up with anyone. Probably not. *dies*

I felt so sorry for the baron...and lucky Malena managed to sign a contract with Dante. He seems so much better than Luke. :lol: I still can't believe Cassandra had Dante. Meh. True, only for like...a little bit. But still. SEE!?

I hope Malena won't perish like Ramon. *cringe*
NOOOOOOOOO. She can't live with Dante forever anyway. *cries*

I see the update has made me very emotional. -.-

-Amy

why are you doubting that malena will end up with someone? :( lol

Malena would definitely perish like Ramon...or something similar(not to be a pessimist), but the contract DOES involve a soul..O_O :(( but i dont want that!!!

i feel rather attached to this story...

my heart hurts...:(

#102 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

saraaaa *sobs* are you there? :(

#103 princessesrox123

princessesrox123

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Awesome update!

I think Luke's going to have created a lot of troubles with his rumors.

Especially since some of them are true!

-Nikki :icon_sunny:

#104 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Awesome update!

I think Luke's going to have created a lot of troubles with his rumors.

Especially since some of them are true!

-Nikki :icon_sunny:

you mean Ramon? :)

and yeah...i wonder what theyll do to investigate and then what'll happen to malena?? :( so sad!!! did you feel anything when ramon died?

#105 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

yep i'll tell pam about it tanya..
thank you for linares..yes!
hahaha..awesome update as always..
it's almost over?..awwww..poopsies..
are you planning on writing another awesome cool story?
hahahhhaa..if you are care to tell us what kind it is?
update soon!
pam is bummed because this story is almost over and she didn't get to read it yet by the way..
lol..poor pammy..she's so stressed..
then there's this finals next week too..
but after next week i'm sure she's gonna be reading this without any homeworks..
ket's just wish her good luck..
update soon!
go tanya! go tanya!

☺Leah☺

#106 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

hey leah! :D whadday think of the latest update? like, how do you feel about ramon and all? xD

#107 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

I feel sorry for Ramon in a way. AND, how could YOU think Malena will perish like Ramon? *cries*
I don't know. Malena is so with hate right now... maybe she'll find a way of undoing it.

OOH: THEORY!!
Spoiler

-Amy

#108 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

lol! xD xD i like that!!

but how can you make it so that its a happy ending? :( I want a happy ending lol

how did you feel about ramon's death? :) could you understand what he was going through? :c

#109 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hm...the happy ending will be:
Spoiler

I think I could understand Ramon, actually. He loved his friends both. But then they married each other which kinda left him out. But...you can't have a Three-some Marriage. So... :/ You?

-Amy

#110 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

aww that's bittersweet :*(

i also cant think of a happy ending when youre dealing with a demon butler. he aint human...unless he decides to stay on earth even without the contract to Malena! xD

and then malena and linares marry...O_O dante will be out of place haha.

i actually pity ramon too. :( must be sad for him...

heyy Amy, whats your favorite passage in the story? xD

#111 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

:/ I know, neither can I. Demon...human.. Eh. Not so common. Unless Tanya can give us some kinda awesome ending that winds up with both of them being together. That would be the best day (kinda) of my life. xD

Um, my favourite passage... is when Dante had to hold Malena down as she slept. That's awesome to me. Oh yeah. Also when he picked her up and dodged Luke's strikes. *drools*

You? xD

-Amy

#112 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

lol oooh i know a good ending. linares realizes the love between malena and dante and backs off because he wants only malena's happiness. dante starts to make a contract to Satan or whatever to make him human again..O_O LOL! and then...he's human and he's living with malena forever and ever...and they have little adorable children haha

oooh! i also like that part when dante held malena down. *has kinky thoughts* lol and i also like how she was in his arms while he dodged luke's attacks. and how the bullets bounced off his palms!! He's INCREDIBLE!!! i also like the subtle hints of them liking each other...:P :P its so cute

but i think my favorite part is what happened to Ramon. i mean, im not sadistic or anything but its rather cool. him cracking and bursting into tiny sparkly things...and his soul being eaten by his demon. it was awesome! lol and i like the way dante hopped on the roofs and how he easily shattered the window with one hand! god, hes amazing! :D :D :D i want more of himmm *drools*

#113 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

*nods fervently* Yes. More Dante.

But, unfortunately, I'm sure there is no Dante in the world. *dies* Ooh, that's an awesome theory Kat! xD Poor Linares though. He'd have to have a happy ending. I see some of the readers still favour Linares for Malena though. :/

I knowwwwwwwww!! Hahaa. I loved that bit when he held her down. I wonder if Tanya wrote it all innocently or whether she had thoughts behind that.

Ooh, I was wondering about the subtle hints too. xD they just don't realise it yet. :] Dante is like total superman. I mean, super-demon. *sigh*

-Amy

#114 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

i had actually never thought about linares being the hero here. he was like a too-good-to-be-true loverboy :lol: facing reality...he cant do anything for malena. sure, he was her childhood friend, but it wasnt him who killed those rapist dudes :evil: and his innocence will probably irritate her because she's turned coldhearted and all. dantes been with her through tough times and he comes to help her and theres no one else in malena's life other than dante :heartbeat:

im sure tanya had thoughts behind that scene! HAHAHA. xD xD oooh ooh, can you help me find those subtle hints of them together? i want to be in my fangirly mode right now. EEEEP. theyre just so cute...even though these are just SUBTLE...but whatever xD

im amazed that this story is REALLLY different from Its a bestfriend thing. the writing is even much much more mature...as if from a different author entirely! :lol:

#115 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

Ooh, sure, let me browse through it.

Hmm, Dante is so awesome. xD

Haha, let's ask Tanya! :lol: Yup, I agree about the whole different author. It also helps because this is in a different POV.

-Amy

#116 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

I think I might be projecting now: ^_^

This was a soul he had always longed to take care of. Its taste was something he would savor for all eternity.

STILL, he likes someone like her.

Dante wanted to laugh at what he was seeing. His mistress didn’t love the fool; never had. In her eyes, he was never more than a friend.

Talk about poor Linares. Lol. And, would you look at that! Dante is laughing. xD Well...he wanted to anyway.

What Dante liked about staying by his mistress side while she slept was that he could see her poker face fade. She would turn vulnerable, and would smile defenselessly. She did not seem to care that Dante would see her like this. Like him, she had felt the strong bond that connected both of them. It was a bond that wouldn’t sever even in pernicious circumstances. There was no need to hide anything from each other.

Well, except, you know. That you like each other. xD (hopefully)

He leaned forward to stroke the hair away from her face.

He needn't have done so. xD

-Amy

#117 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

hey leah! :D whadday think of the latest update? like, how do you feel about ramon and all? xD

hey katfaye..
ramon?..is he the baron?..
hmm..i hate him..
hope he suffers a lot in hell..
he was such a jealous loser..grr..i hate people like his kind..don't you?

☺Leah☺

#118 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Amy: hehe thanks for that!! xD xD and i agree with all the things you said about the passages lol :heartbeat:

Leah: yeah me too! jealousy ate him like ice cream! xD but he cant be in hell anymore because he's now in the pit of Luke's stomach! lol

#119 *<Alenaire>*

*<Alenaire>*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

oohhkk. FINALLY. This is the end. I typed it all at last and my eyes hurtt like dayuumm. >__<! I don't think I'm going to be facing the computer anytime soon after this *sighs* My eyes are lined with red veins it's purely disgusting. Well...at least I can marathon my DVD's now! Yippeee. xD :heartbeat:

Well, thanks for reading and commenting guys!! ^_^ I'm glad you've come and read the whole story through :) *glomps everyone*

Leah: Yep :) I'm planning on writing another story. Not this week though...I have to rest my eyes. I don't want the pressure in my eyes to increase -__-" My eye grade's gonna increase too. But yeah I will write another story. It's about this spoiled rich girl who gets trapped in a fairytale book that was made by her grandfather. She has to struggle to survive in the world, especially since she's a brat and all lol. Anndd of course there's the prince and princess...an evil witch...dragons...talking animals...weird present-day dialogue present in the fairytale land...and a curse! haha
Katfaye and Amy: BWAHAHA. Yess...I had kinky thoughts when I wrote that part ;) I tried not to show it though *looks away innocently* ha ha, just kidding! Well..okay..not really. A little bit. haha.

Much♥,
Tanya

Four

Malena was in bed with her thoughts wandering. She had woken up in the middle of the night and found that Dante was not by her side. She felt such a terrible discomfort from this comprehension, that she wanted to laugh at herself. She had been so completely used to him around her, that his mere disappearance made her fretful. Her eyes wandered to the open window. Dante had replaced the glass, and had cleaned the blood that had trickled to the floor. It seemed so long ago. She shivered when she remembered what had happened to the Baron. She knew very well that her soul would be eaten up by the very demon that had become the only essential person in her life. This was her part of the pact, and there was no way out of it.

After she had seen the death of her parent’s murderer, the hatred that had knotted her heart departed. It was like a great weight had been lifted from her conscience at last, and she could finally turn to peace.

Peace? But that word was so unfamiliar to her. It was not peace that occupied her heart now, but a dulling vacuity; an emptiness which she could not grasp. The perpetrator had already recompensed for his misdeeds, but why did she not feel happy about it?

Was it that her hatred had seized her heart for too long a time that now that it had vacated, there was no emotion left in her? Why did she feel nothing? Why was she so numb?

She stood up in bed, breathing heavily. The contract had stipulated that the demon would serve her until she discovered and killed the man who murdered her family. It was all done. The deal with the demon had already been completed days ago. Why was he still here? Why did he not take her soul?

She raised the hand which bore the symbol of the pentacle, and whispered for Dante to appear before her.

He appeared by the bed with one knee down. “I am here, my lady.”

“Dante.” She turned to her side to face him, the shaft of light from the window only illuminating the right side of his face and his eye; which suddenly glowed a common crimson. “You need not hesitate to take my soul.”

Dante stood up from his kneeling position. “Is this what you have come to tell me?”

“Yes.” Malena closed her eyes, leaning against the headboard. She was ready. She was willing to leave this world. There was nothing else she could do now.

Dante could not help the smile that tugged at the corner of his lips. He could see that her eyelids twitched, and that she was rather in a tense posture. He moved closer to her, his hands gliding down the blankets which covered her lower body. He picked up her right hand, which rested on top of the blanket, and traced his lips against the outline of the pentacle. Malena’s eyes flew open.

“When are you going to take my soul?” she asked impatiently. Dante’s lips lingered a little longer on her slender hand.

“My lady, please let me serve you for a little while longer,” he said, lowering her hand.

“Do you not want my soul?” Malena asked.

“It is not that.” Dante smiled. “I have come to like serving you. It is very unusual for me to meet a master that I respect.”

“Very well,” Malena sighed. “You may continue serving me.”

Dante stood up from the corner of her bed to bow before his mistress. “It is an honor, my lady.”

~¤~

Linares continued to stay much longer than a week at her manor, and Malena found this quite irritating. Linares often played with the little girl named Vida, and their laughter could be heard from the second story of the manor. She was used to silence, and now their voices pierced through her usual quietness, making her lose focus on the important paperwork that she had to revise.

The bond between Linares and Vida grew stronger as each day passed, and it was like he cherished her even more. He realized that the girl Vida not only resembled his fiancée in looks, but in personality as well. She had spoken of things that Malena had spoken of in her age, and it made his heart swell. How he longed to see the Malena of the past. He had attempted to make her laugh countless of times, but had never succeeded. He wished to see her glittering smile once again; even if for the last time. That was his current goal in life, and he stayed longer in her manor to achieve it.

Vida had not yet finished knitting the scarf she intended to give to her mother. She wanted it to perfect, and every time the scarf didn’t come out as expected, she would start knitting a new one. The maids helped her once in a while, but Vida preferred to do it herself. It was a gift for her mother from her, not from the maids.

The people of the manor however, did not know of the growing restlessness of the townspeople as rumors about their mistress started to spread. The manor was quite far from the heart of the city, and they did not associate themselves with women’s gossip. The rumor was told, then embellished to gather more interest, then told of to other curious people. At first the people could not believe the contents of these rumors, but soon started to believe it when they started to think of all the evidence that supported the claims.

The men believed that the reason they had been captivated with her was because of the Devil’s spell; they were bewitched. Some of the women were reluctant to accept this. They did not want to admit that they had fallen for a Devil! But their jealousy over Malena got the better of them, and they supported the claim. The people, who had regarded Malena with such respect, suddenly turned their backs on her and slandered her name. All of them were convinced that she had murdered her family for the sole purpose of obtaining the company, and thus gaining vast influence.

Also, the disappearance of the Baron Ramon triggered their suspicions. When the innkeeper did not see his guest come out of his room for many days, he decided to pay him a visit. He did not see his guest anywhere. The room was immaculately kept, but his guest’s suitcase still stayed where it was. Nothing seemed out of place in the room. The townsfolk knew that the Baron had been the person who spread the rumors, and they came up with the idea that Malena had ordered her demon to kill him for circulating the rumors. They began to lose their doubts of its authenticity.

There was no evidence that proved that Malena was indeed in a contract. Amelia, the Mayor’s daughter, had heard her mother talk about the Baron Ramon. Amelia praised the man for being courageous for speaking of the truth about the Lady. She had disliked the Lady Malena for many years now, and this was her chance to prove that she was not the charming lady that many were enthralled with. She was the Devil’s advocate.

Malena still dutifully followed the custom of attending mass daily. She did not seem to notice how much differently the people acted around her. The women glanced at her every now and then, covering their whispering mouths with a gloved hand. The men, who felt used by the Devil’s charm, did not even look at her when she passed. They wondered why she was still able to attend mass when she had linked herself to the Devil. She soon became like an outsider whom people detested.

Dante stood beside the Church doors, waiting for his mistress. Many of the people did not look at him, and instead turned their bodies away to completely block him from their view. They were afraid of the rumored demon, and their doubts further decreased from the known fact that he was never seen stepping foot on sacred ground.

Amelia, who had attended mass on the same schedule, waited until the mass concluded to grab the Lady Malena’s attention. She had three of her friends behind her, who had been informed of her plan.

“My lady,” Amelia curtsied before the lady and her butler, and her friends followed behind her.

Malena was slightly startled. “Hello.”

“I am the Mayor’s daughter, Amelia. Would you like to have dinner at my house?” Amelia asked, looking earnest. “My father had always wanted you as our guest for quite some time now.”

“Truly?” Malena asked, arching a brow. She turned to her butler, as if conversing with him through invisible means, and turned back to Amelia. “I accept your invitation.”

Amelia’s eyes lit up. “My father would be so happy.”

The six of them, including the butler, traveled in Amelia’s carriage. They arrived at her grand house a few minutes later. Amelia acted like a true hostess, with a smile always set on her face. Her companions, however, could not follow her façade, as they were too afraid of the demon butler and the mistress who could control him at her fingertips.

Amelia’s parent’s had gone, in truth, to the city of Atol to visit the Baron Ramon’s family. They wanted to have a word with them, and if they knew about his disappearance. They also wanted to know how they were also connected to the Rosello family.

Malena did not inquire about the whereabouts of Amelia’s parents. She quietly ate with them, with her butler standing behind her chair. Amelia stood up to pass Malena the tea. She pretended to slip, and the cup fell from her hands, staining Malena’s bodice.

“I’m so sorry!” Amelia quickly dabbed the damp fabric before Dante could intervene.

“It is fine. It happens,” Malena said.

“I have to make it up to you somehow,” Amelia said, her eyes briefly connecting one of her friends’. “I know. You can borrow one of my gowns. We have the same built. They will fit you perfectly.”

Malena tried to smile. “No. That is not necessary…”

“I must.” Amelia pulled her by the arm and dragged her up the stairs, her friends trailing behind her.

“My lady…” Dante looked concerned, not quite knowing what to do. Should he follow them or stay where he was?

“I’m fine,” Malena said to him as she was reluctantly dragged by a forceful grip.

They reached Amelia’s chamber, and her friends started unlacing Malena’s gown from the back.

“You really do not have to be so kind…” Malena said awkwardly.

“Nonesense!” Amelia said absently as she helped undress Malena until she was only in her chemise. She and her friends surreptitiously looked over her body for the sign of the pentacle. There was none. Amelia began grudgingly doubting the rumor until her eyes caught sight of the Lady’s gloved hands.

Amelia pulled out a gown from her closet and handed it to her friends to dress the Lady in. Her eyes still gazed at the Lady’s light pink gloves. “Mmm…if you do not mind, I have another set of gloves that matches my gown perfectly.”

“No, this is fine,” Malena said.

“I insist.” Without warning, Amelia tore the glove from the Lady’s right hand. And there it was; what they were looking for.

Amelia grabbed the hand which bore the sign of the pentacle, and raised it up as if she had found the biggest prize in the world. “I knew it.”

The ladies who had been dressing Malena, gasped when they saw the pentacle scar on the back of her hand. They did not actually think that the rumors were true, but now…they were scared. They had to hide from the Devil’s follower before they would be killed too! They rushed out the door like clucking hens.

“What are you going to do?” Malena asked, unperturbed. She did not actually care if the whole town knew about her contract. It did not matter to her what they wanted to do to her now. She had already gotten what she wanted in her life, and there was no more reason to live it.

Amelia looked at her drolly. “You are not afraid that I have found out?” Malena looked at ease, and this irritated her. “Do you not know what they will do to you? They will burn you at the stake!

“I do know that,” Malena replied dryly. Well, it did not matter to her. She was going to die. This was now the perfect chance for Dante to get what he wanted: her soul.

Amelia huffed, then grabbed Malena’s hand vehemently. She dragged her out of the door, down the stairs and towards her carriage.

“Where is my butler?” Malena asked, searching around for any sign of him.

“Relax, my lady,” Amelia said through bared teeth, “my friends have asked him to do an errand…your orders, of course.”

She slammed the carriage door behind her with a triumphant expression on her face.

~¤~

Dante had never felt foolish in his life before. The little girls had tricked him into doing something which he thought his mistress had ordered him to do. Now he did not know where she was, or where she could be. He searched everywhere for her, but did not catch sight of her anywhere. Did something bad happen to his mistress? He did not like to think about it. He would know if she died, and he did not feel any sensation yet. He hoped she was not ransomed for money or raped. He would kill any of those who did.

He had no choice but to go back to the manor. Perhaps his mistress had returned, though he doubted it. She would never leave him and go out on her own. He had always been by her side.

The manor was peaceful, it seemed. No one knew that their mistress was even missing. It was a shame to call himself her servant. If only his mistress would call him through the pentacle, he would come immediately. But she did not, and it was bizarre for him to even comprehend that.

“Good evening, Dante,” Linares said lightly with Vida in his arms. “Is Malena not with you?”

Dante did not like to cause a commotion in the manor, nor did he want to make his mistress fiancée troubled. He simply bowed. “She is with her friends.” It was fairly true…she had been with a woman named Amelia who had treated his mistress graciously. But perhaps she was too gracious. He had always known she had underlying intentions. Why did he even let his mistress out of his sight? He wanted to punish himself for being so careless.

“Friends?” Linares echoed. He did not think the Lady ever socialized. “Who?”

“The Mayor’s daughter Amelia,” Dante replied. He still could not stop thinking about his mistress. What happened to her? Where was she? Why could he not find her?

“Ah, I see,” Linares nodded. “Then I’ll wait for her to return.” He turned around and left.

Dante had to find his mistress immediately. He searched once again in every home, and could not feel a trace of her presence. He not only checked the houses, but also other establishments. Suddenly, he felt a sensation that jerked his head. There was something wrong. Something was happening to his mistress. He followed this feeling until he stood in front of the Alferez’s manor. He was the head of the Guardia Civil of the town, and he was considered to be ruthless and feared. Dante rushed towards the back of the house and peered through the cellar bars.

His mistress sat in front of the Alferez, her right hand outstretched on the table before her. A knife protruded from the middle of her hand, sinking impeccably through the center of the pentacle. Dark blood quickly pooled beneath her hand, but Malena did not shout in pain. She simply sat there, wearing her mask of impassiveness.

Dante wanted to kill the Alferez, but he restrained to do so. He could not kill without being ordered by his mistress.

The Alferez threw his head back and laughed gruffly. He was a stocky man with thick red hair that ran down the sides of his face.

“Why did you make the contract?” the Alferez asked her. Malena did not answer.

“Is it true that you killed your parents for power?”

“So you have devilish powers which could captivate men, huh? Why aren’t captivating me, darling?” he said in a mock-sweet tone.

When Malena still did not answer any of his questions, the Alferez’s eyes turned red and he grabbed her by her hair and pulled her towards him roughly.

“Answer me!” he roared in front of her face, flying spittle. When she still did not, he pushed her away and was satisfied to hear her groan when the knife pinned to her hand was jolted.

“Why do you not answer any of my questions?” he asked. He had run out of patience. “If you do not defend yourself, then that means you are guilty of all the charges against you.”

Malena stared at him with unfaltering eyes.

The Alferez yanked the knife in her hand, and Malena bit her lip until it bled to stifle her cry.

Dante could not bear this any longer. He bent the cellar bars until there was room enough for him to jump through. He landed softly on his feet, the Alferez and Malena not even noticing his presence until he stood behind the older man with a hand encircling his thick neck threateningly.

“W-What?” the Alferez stuttered, freezing.

“I can bend your neck easily, Alferez,” Dante said with a menacing coolness. “Do not think I am incapable of doing other things as well.”

“Dante,” Malena said aloofly. “I did not call for you.”

“But…my lady…” Dante’s eyes settled on his mistress’ right hand. Her wound was open, and dark blood seeped through, spreading sluggishly on the table.

“Leave me,” she ordered.

“My lady…”

“This is a command.”

Dante gritted his teeth, and released his hold of the Alferez’s neck. “As you wish.” He disappeared before the Alferez could even turn around.

~¤~

The news spread throughout the city that all the rumors concerning the Lady Malena were true. In a few days, the whole of Seville were talking about the real colors of the enchanting Malena. Many people said they were tricked, and many attested that they did not truly respect her even from the beginning. The Flor Fina Company started to perish with neglect from their mistress. The workers did not believe the rumors, naturally, but they could not do anything about it. It was truly a lie that the three corpses were one of them, but they could not do anything to prove it. The seed was already planted in their minds, and they would not let go of their conviction.

Malena’s household was in turmoil. Many of the maids and knaves did not want to continue working under their mistress, and many left the manor. Linares and Vida still remained, and though they had wanted to see Malena and testify for her, no one permitted them to. She was charged guilty, and the symbol of the pentacle on the back of her hand proved most of the rumors to be true.

The Kapitan Heneral heard of this news and he was outraged. He too, thought that the Lady had deceived him through the Devil’s power, and he sent a letter of approval to the parish priest to commit the righteous act of salvation. It was the only way to purify the Lady of whom he had been previously enthralled. It was the right thing for her to be burned at the stake. All of her sins would be cleansed at last, and she may be able to enter Heaven.

~¤~

It was a warm day when the Guardia Civil began to tie the Lady to a thick wooden post in the middle of a park. She was not to have food or water for two days until the date of her burning. Many people formed an arch around this spectacle, staring at the emaciated Malena whose beauty had suddenly lost its radiance.

“Malena!” Someone pushed through the crowd, and she lifted her head slowly; painfully. The ropes tied around her were rough on her skin, and they were so tight they seemed to squeeze her whole body through. She could not feel any part of her body anymore.

Linares and Vida came into view, but the Guardia Civil stopped them from coming any further. Linares, who towered over one of the guards, was furious.

“What are you doing to my fiancée?” he demanded. He had already heard of the rumors, and thought them actual nonsense. There was no way his Malena could kill her parents! And it was silly of them to think that she made a contract with a demon, who was Dante. Dante was not a demon.

“We are going to cleanse her soul,” one of the guards said, holding a firm hand on Linares’ shoulder. “It is for the best for this Devil girl to be in peace.”

“She is not a Devil girl!” Linares balled his hand into a fist, and swung it across the man’s face. He staggered backward from the blow. More guards tried to tackle Linares, but he tried to fend them off until they were too many of them and he could not defend himself any more. He could hear Vida’s faint whimpers, and he felt his body relax.

“If you do not believe that she is a Devil girl, then be my guest and take a look at the sign of the Devil on her right hand,” one of the guards said, stroking his bruised cheek consciously.

Linares took Vida’s hand, and walked towards Malena, whose eyes had closed. She wore a clean coarse linen dress, but her caramel hair was a tangled mess, and her cheeks were sunken. Through the ropes that were tightly wound around her, he could see the faint outline of the back of her right hand. He peered through the thick ropes and saw the scar. On the center of the pentacle an open wound was present, and it bled slightly. But there was no doubt there was indeed a pentacle.

Linares stepped back in astonishment.

Vida had finally finished her scarf, and she now took it from her bag, and wrapped it carefully around her mother’s neck. She tried not to cry, but it was hard. She found that she could not see anymore, as her eyes were too blurred by tears. She did not like seeing her mother like this. She was a princess in her storybook, not a witch burned for her evil deeds. Where was the prince that should come to save her? She buried her face into her father’s coat. She did not want her mother to die. She did not even tell her mother that she had made the scarf. She was not ever going to tell her that she loved her if she died. She didn’t want her to die.

Linares was still shocked at this revelation. He took Vida away so that they could go back to the manor. Linares thought deeply on the matter. Was that why Malena had changed so much after ten years? He did not believe that she killed her family, as she had been really close to them, and believed that someone had ordered her family to be killed. The trauma of losing her family had probably made her irrational, that she made a pact with a demon. This made more sense to him, and he felt an arrow of guilt to his heart. If only he had known of this. If only he had dug deeper into her life, this would not have happened. If only he had come to her after knowing of her family’s death, and stayed by her side always. He would never get to love her now. The smile he so wanted to see was going to disappear forever.

~¤~

The moon was shrouded with thick clouds, stopping its rays from descending onto the Earth. Crickets chirped loudly, and boots crunched against the gravel. The Guardia Civil were making their rounds, guarding the Devil girl from townspeople who wanted to get closer to her than necessary. On more than one occasion, they threw their garbage towards the unconscious lady, shouting vulgar words. The guards did not seem to mind this part, however.

The torches that the guards carried in their hands were mysteriously doused, leaving all of them in complete darkness, that they did not see the figure rushing towards their captive in remarkable speed. The figure had broken the thick ropes with his hands, and he held the captive in his arms tenderly.

The clouds started to move away, and the shaft of light came back, illuminating the figure and the captive.

“It’s her demon butler!” one of the guards cried out, pulling the trigger. The butler held up his palm, and the bullet rebounded from the flesh.

“He’s a monster!” two men cried out, and more bullets came flying about. Dante had no time for this. He swept his arm in an arch, and deflected the bullets before running towards a certain destination in mind. He could hear the faint shouts of the men behind him who tried to ineffectively follow his trail.

He sat against a thick bark, sighing gustily. He made his mistress sit on his knee, and he extracted a water container from his pocket. He tipped her head back so she could drink from the flask. Her mouth moved gradually, until she began drinking vigorously. After she had finished the water, she slowly opened her eyes.

“Dante,” she whispered hoarsely. She found that her body was still too numb to move. She could also feel some odd cloth wrapped around her neck. What was that?

“My lady.” Dante pressed her head against his shoulder.

“I told you to leave me.”

“I cannot.”

“It was a command.”

“Even so.”

The Lady feebly pushed him away. “What are you talking about? You are disobeying the contract!”

“I am.” Dante’s lips were set in a grim line.

“You know the consequences!” she wanted to slap him, but she was too physically weak to do so.

“But I cannot leave you…” he closed his eyes briefly. “I have to bring you to another place or country where they cannot harm you again.” He stood up, scooping her in his arms naturally. “I have already transgressed; I have to make the most of it.”

There was a sound of ripping fabric as dark wings unfurled from his back, opening behind him like a dark shadow feathers. They soared in the air, through trees and mountains and valleys which were still shadowed by the darkness. Only the moon cast a glow on their path, and they flew towards another island on the distant horizon. The scarf around Malena’s neck flapped in the breeze, and she was grateful to whomever had given this to her. It had given her much needed warmth.

They both alighted on dewy grass. The air around them was much warmer, and Malena found that she could already move her arms.

Dante moved towards a large old tree, and settled Malena against its hollow. His wings curled behind him timidly.

“Where are you going?” Malena asked restlessly when he did not sit beside her.

“I have to atone for my offense to the contract.” Dante’s lowered his eyes in a sad manner.

“What do you think will happen?” Malena suddenly found herself to be nervous.

“My Revered Master, the highest Devil Himself, will make it so that both of us will suffer.” He turned his eyes away from Malena’s. “He has always known what is the best punishment. He will take what is important from both of us.”

Malena felt apprehension prickle her skin, but she did not say a word.

“I promise I will come back.” He knelt down on one knee before her, with his dark wings folded neatly behind his back. “I promise to serve you even after my penalty, whatever it may be.” He lifted her right hand, and kissed her wound gently. Malena did not wince at the dull pain.

“Will you wait for me, my lady?” he asked, lifting his crimson eyes to meet hers. The color of his eyes changed to golden.

“Yes.”

Dante was gone so quickly in a flurry of thick black feathers that it took a few moments for it to register in her mind. She did not like the feeling of being alone, and she started to wrap the scarf around her shoulders. She wondered what the penalty could be for his transgression. He was a fool to have saved her. There was no need for that. She would have died, and he could have had her soul. Why did he have to save her?

But despite these burgeoning questions, she couldn’t help feel something different settle in her heart. It was not the emptiness that she used to feel instead of hatred. It was a warm feeling which she remembered vaguely during her early years where she had been happy. She could not name the sensation that started to overcome her, and decided to leave it as it is. She closed her eyes and tried to sleep. Perhaps when she would wake up, Dante would be there, at last.

She did not know how long she waited for him. It felt like an eternity for her. She had seen countless of sunrise and sunsets, that she felt lost. She was too tired now, and she had come to a point where she could not even feel the hunger overwhelming her any longer. She was fatigued, and she did not have anything else to do but close her eyes and open them in search for the shadow of her black demon. It was a routine for her. Where was Dante? Was he ever coming? But he had promised her. His promises were always kept.

It started to snow. With unseeing eyes, she stared off at the distance, willing for a figure to appear, bend on one knee and say, “My lady.” He was not going to keep his promise, it seemd. Perhaps the penalty was death. But did demons ever die? She did not know. Snow started to rise around her, forming thick layers until it covered almost half of her body. She could not feel anything but a palliative numbness. Was she to perish here?

Vaguely, she heard the crunch of ice as a shadow approached slowly. Her eyes tried to focus on the man that bent down to one knee before her. He looked at her, with his eyes that glittered like rubies in the daylight.

“I am at your command, my mistress of the contract. What will you call me?” His eyes did not flicker any recognition.

A familiar scene played in her mind.

“What will you call me?”

“I will name you Dante.”

“I…will…” she found that she could not speak coherently. She had not used her voice for so long that it came like a rumble in her parched throat. But even so, she tried to speak through her numb lips. And at last, with a whisper, she finally said his destined name. She stared at the man’s crimson gold eyes, but found that suddenly she could not see quite well, and something cold ran down her cheeks.

“My lady…” The demon leaned forward to catch her tears with a pad of a finger.

Epilogue

Even after many years, the people still talked about the disappearance of the Devil woman. Everyone knew about the woman Malena, and her demon butler. They considered this a taboo topic which should only be talked about discreetly. The Guardia Civil had been ashamed that they had let go of the woman, and they were reprimanded severely by the Kapitan Heneral. But who could ever win against Devil magic? They thought. They should have permitted the sacred Priest to sprinkle Holy Water on the demon. Mayhap he would disappeared into ashes. Some of the people were scared that Malena was still roaming around the country of Seville, and was causing harm to others. But most of others believed that the Devil had already taken her soul, and she was in Hell.

Linares adopted Vida as his own child. She looked so much like Malena as she grew older, that the townspeople could not bear to look at her, and labeled her as the Devil’s child. This did not seem to affect the girl, and she continued to live on without any trepidation in her heart. However, Linares did not like the maltreatment of his child, and they gathered their things to sail for another country where no one knew of the rumor. He still lived in wealth, as he transferred his dock to this country and had a wider range of trade routes.

Linares lived happily with his daughter. He would stop every now and then to think of his beloved fiancée. He could not change the past, he knew, and so he was going to start anew with Vida. He realized that Vida’s personality was so much alike to his beloved, that sometimes he could not help himself from staring at her like a piece of article. He could now see the smile which he wanted to see from Malena, but he knew that it was different.

Vida grew up to be as beauteous as her mother, and many of the wealthy men offered her their hand in marriage. She wanted to be like her mother, composed and regally aloof around strangers, and so this air about her drew in more suitors, and gave her much desired influence. She still missed her mother, and would sometimes stare out her window in a thoughtful pose. She hoped that her mother was alive somewhere, and that they would meet again. There was no doubt that Dante was looking out for her, as she knew only he could, and this conviction somehow settled her heart.

The gray hairs on Linares’ head became more apparent as the decades flew past him like months, and all he could still think about was his beloved Malena. He did not take another wife. He did not want anyone but her. He had promised his parents that he would love her, and what he meant was for an eternity. He walked along the cobbled streets, his cane clanking rhythmically with his practiced steps. He shaded his eyes from the glaring sun, and suddenly spotted a familiar head of black hair. He trudged forward, pushing people aside with a sturdy shoulder. It was him.

But he was staring at a dead end. He tried not to let his tears fall. He had kept this to himself for many years, and he did not want to crumble down lest he would never stop. He turned away and walked to the direction of his manor. Mayhap it was just an illusion.

.Fin.

#120 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

booo..tanya you made me tear up!! :icon_mecry2:
waaaahhhh..poor linares..
see?..i knew he would be heartbroken..
huhuhuhhuhu..tanya..whatever happened to malena?..
did she die when she cried?..
wahhhhh..so the devil erased dante's memories ha?..
huhuhuuhuhuhuhu..
it was such a lovely story..
and the ending is so tragic and heart-wrenching..
good job tanya!
i'm looking forward to your upcoming story..
hope it's a comedy one..
that way everyone lives happily by the end..
laterz!

☺Leah☺

#121 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

Noooooooooooooooooo. That's not even bitter-sweet. That's pure- pure...
Tanya, I cried for Dante and Malena. That's so cruel. NO. NO. It can't have happened.

I've read this the second time now... At first I could only stare in shock when Dante left. Poor them. YOU CAN TELL DANTE CARED. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I can't believe Dante's memories are gone. No. No. No. It's gone... I read three-quarters of the update on my iPod before it died...and then all I was doing after was obsessing over it. I hoped so so much that perhaps Malena would kiss him once and he's remember. BUT NOOOOOO. >_<

T_T

I'm so glad Vida is alright with Linares. But... Malena and Dante. I think Malena would be like the most miserable and numb person in the whole world. Please please write one little ending thingy. Like...where Malena was silent wherever Dante brought her and then he asked her what's wrong...and... and- *cries*

I loved this so much that I hate the ending Tanya. It's so...good. But... I want more. I'm sorry! :icon_mecry2:

-Amy

#122 cutejesse

cutejesse

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Oh my God Oh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my GodOh my God

do you know how SAD I felt??!?!?!?!?!?!?

i cant stop thinking about it

ill probably think about this the whole day.

TANYA WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:icon_mecry2:

Amyyyy I feel you tooo!! MY GODDD it IS SO SAD!!! I CANT STOP READING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN *cries* im still crying right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#123 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

^I know!! >_< I was in serious tears. But I feel muffled, if you get what I mean. I long to scream to really vent my feelings out. *sigh*

-Amy

#124 cutejesse

cutejesse

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well, I know the ending already...and because I'm a really emotional person, I got teary-eyed and my throat tightened *is kind of embarrassed* Well...I can't help it. It's like watching a movie in my head and *sobs* I won't spoil anything though ;) But I'm not sure if you guys'll get teary-eyed just like me when you'll read the ending and the epilogue. Maybe, maybe not :P

Much♥,
Tanya[/size][/color]

Well...tanya did say it was sad...so i guess i was kind of expecting something...

but this is just TRAGIC

but even so...i love it :heartbeat: hahaha

#125 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

:lol: I didn't get just teary-eyed though. I full out started weeping. Well...kind of. xD

-Amy

#126 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

That was SO sad!

It was amazing too, though. I feel so bad for Dante and Malena. Now they have to get to know each other all over again...

This was an awesome story and I hope you start another one soon!

#127 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

*weeps*

tanya this is so sad. do you know how many times i reread the update? like around, 5 TIMES!!!

especially this part:

“I am at your command, my mistress of the contract. What will you call me?” His eyes did not flicker any recognition.

A familiar scene played in her mind.

“What will you call me?”

“I will name you Dante.”

*weeps again*

i have snot coming out of my nose and its dreadful. my eyes are puffy and i look like a clown!!

but it was beautiful.

:lol: I didn't get just teary-eyed though. I full out started weeping. Well...kind of. xD

-Amy

hahaha me too!!! which part did you start crying in? how long did you cry? lol xD i cant stop thinking about it still lol

That was SO sad!

It was amazing too, though. I feel so bad for Dante and Malena. Now they have to get to know each other all over again...

This was an awesome story and I hope you start another one soon!

did you cry, sara? xD

#128 cutejesse

cutejesse

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

somehow i still cant stop thinking about the ending....

before i slept last night all i could think about was this. -______-

its soooo tragic.

i think i'll reread tanya's other story its a bestfriend thing lol.

OOOH its funny how that story is SOOO FUNNY and they live happily ever after and all, and this one is just a bizarre contrast to that! This one is SOOOO sad and heartbreaking and tragic.

i hope tanyas new story will have a happy ending :*(

#129 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Kat - I started at the EXACT same bit. When it became obvious Dante couldn't remember her. I started crying like hell. My eyes were red and tear-tracks were down my face. I tried to hide it though. But it only made me feel extremely stuffed up. I cried myself to sleep though. Not like: "waaaaaaaah my life is over." but: "nooooo Dante has to remember Malena!" :icon_mecry2:

T_T I hope Tanya's other stories have happy endings. I don't think I can take any more sadness.

-Amy

Hey, I think our motto/slogan for the Dante Fanclub should be: um... I don't know. It should be something like he has to get his memories back.

#130 cutejesse

cutejesse

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

now we can talk about Dante stuff here already =)

Aw I love you guys too! happy.gif

What about the slogan: His memories are ours. ♥

Is that okay? Any other suggestions?

Let's take a vote in the upcoming future! Let's have at least 5/6 slogans to choose from =)

Here are my ideas:
Bringing Back the Memories
Thanks for the Memories

hahaha

People who are reading this story, please add more suggestions! ^_^

#131 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Haven't you guys noticed something?

“I want to name our son Dante,” Malena said, lowering her long eyelashes, as if she were too shy to speak it.

“That is a beautiful name for our son,” Linares said. He cupped Malena’s cheeks in his hand, and stroked it. Malena lifted her eyes to his, and smiled.

Malena had always liked that name, Dante! and maybe thats why she gave it to the demon instead lol

“What will you call me?”

“I will name you Dante.”

Amy: lol you cried yourself to sleep? what time did you read the story? you read the story before you slept? :P i couldnt stop thinking about what happened to malena and dante for the whole day. actually, the thoughts are still lingering in my mind. it's just too tragic, and I've grown attached to the characters and its hard to let go. i hope tanya makes a new story now so i dont have to think about this one that often lol

and as for the slogan, im out of slogan ideas >__< but i hope some readers would come by and give suggestions?

*looks around hopefull*

#132 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

oooooh..
slogans?
i'm up with that!
i have some:
Fighting for the memories
Moments of time
Gift of remembrance
Healing those memories
what about those?
are they okay?..
lol..can i join the fanclub too?..hahhaha

☺Leah☺

#133 katfaye

katfaye

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

lol! youre welcome to join, Leah! xD

i like 'fighting for the memories'

:heartbeat:

welcome to the club! lol

#134 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

lol..yes!
thanks..hahahaha..:)

☺Leah☺

#135 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yayness. Welcome Leah! xD

Kat - Yeah, something like that. I was depressed for the whole day. >_< Tragic...yeah. In fact... I'm only just beginning to get over it really. WAAAAAAH!

Thank God Dante wasn't her son. xDD That'll be... O_O. Haha. Hm... I like all the slogans actually.

Right now, I'm liking Bring Back the Memories. x]

-Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users