• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#91 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Again, sorry it's been so long! I'm getting better... sort of :huh: . But I'm working on an update right now.

The plot of this story is kind of up in the air right now. I'm deciding on whether or not to give Piper a new love interest, which would change the end of the story. But nothing is for certain yet, so don't start trying to figure out who it is until I make a decision! *cough*Suki*cough* ;)

I'll update as soon as possible!

:heartbeat: Sara

#92 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

So I finished my update! I'm actually surprisingly excited about this one, just because it's so unexpected.

There was Nate but.. Why isn't he becoming a more prominent character already!?
I want to know more about him Sara.. Please?

You'll get to see a little more of him in the next chapter. But like I said, I'm playing with other ideas.

Hope you like the chapter!

Chapter 20
Audrey’s POV

When I got out of fifth hour, I saw Piper walking with a muscular blond guy and a slightly smaller young man with dark hair and mysterious eyes. Both very sexy.

This had to be the reason Piper was so upbeat lately. Maybe she really had gotten over Brennan.

As they turned the corner, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Pivoting, I saw Brennan and smiled. “Hey! You know you just missed Piper.”

“I really don’t want her to see me right now,” he said in a voice devoid of all emotion.

Only then did I really look at him. His fists were clenched tightly, and he had an almost murderous look in his eyes. He knew. He most definitely knew.

“What’s wrong, Brennan?” I asked, hoping against all hope that he was upset about something else.

“One of my friends found out who was spreading those rumors about me,” he growled.

“Oh, really?” I inquired, trying to sound nonchalant. “Who?”

His frown grew even more pronounced. “You.” When I said nothing, he scoffed. “I can’t believe I ever trusted you, Audrey. Instinct told me you were a *%^##, but I went ahead and gave you the benefit of the doubt. And look how that turned out.”

I shook my head desperately. “No, Brennan, please, just give me a chance to explain…”

“How could you possibly justify this?” When he began to walk away, I grabbed his arm and he whirled, taking a few steps forward and forcing me to back into the wall. “People told me you were a manipulative *^&$^&, but I couldn’t allow myself to believe it. Well, I do now. And if you ever come near me again, my anger issues might not stay under control.”

Suddenly, my fear evolved into anger and I glared up at him. “You listen here, you miserable bastard,” I snarled. “I have worked too long and too hard to let you walk away now.”

“Just try and stop me.”

As he walked away, I called, “I wonder how Piper would like you if she found out you’d hit me.”

Brennan froze. “I did no such thing.”

“Yes, but that’s not what I’ll tell her.”

He turned around. “Are you blackmailing me?” he asked in disbelief.

I tilted my head. “I do believe that’s what they’re calling it these days.”

The young man sighed. “What do you want me to do?”

“It’s not what I want you to do. It’s what I want you to be.”

“And what’s that?” he inquired warily.

“My boyfriend.”

Brennan laughed. “You’re kidding right?”

I raised an eyebrow. “I’m sure Piper would love to know that you got Michelle Ritter pregnant. That would surely tarnish your good reputation.”

“I don’t even know a Michelle!” he cried indignantly.

“But she doesn’t know that,” I reminded him.

“You are probably the most conniving, deceptive creature I’ve ever met,” he remarked, shaking his head.

“Probably?” I echoed. “Oh, Brennan, I’m hurt.”

“You sadistic little *%^##,” he murmured furiously.

“That’s me,” I affirmed cheerfully. I stepped up to him and lowered my voice. “We have to be at a basketball game tonight for dance. You will pick me up at 6:30 sharp and take me to the game. And you will make it clear to Piper and everyone else there that you and I are dating. Got it?”

Brennan took a deep breath. “Got it.”

I smiled, writing my address on a sheet of paper and handing it to him. “Good. See you later, sweetie.” I kissed him on the cheek before I walked away.

I waited at my door that night, praying my plan had worked. He’d said he would be here. After all, he wouldn’t want Piper to get the wrong impression of him.

His black Toyota rolled to a stop in front of my house at 6:29. I sighed in relief as I grabbed my things and climbed into the car.

“Hello, Brennan,” I greeted as we left my house. “I’m so glad you could make it.”

“You didn’t exactly give me a choice, now, did you?” he countered.

“No, not really,” I agreed.

“Are you always this selfish?”

“Pretty much, yeah,” I said with a nod.

“How long do I have to pretend you’re my girlfriend?”

“As long as I decide I want you.”

“So I could be doing this for months?”

“If that’s how long I want you.”

“But she might have moved on by then!” he objected.

“I suppose, but if you back out on our deal, I’ll make sure you never even have a chance with her. And you don’t want that.”

“Why should I think she would believe you?”

“Why shouldn’t she? I’ve given her no reason to doubt what I say.”

“If I’m gonna do this, will you do me a favor?”

“I think that depends on what it is.”

“Just keep me updated,” he said. “I’d like to know if I have any competition.”

“You can’t compete for her if you’re taken, you know,” I said.

He sighed. “I know.”

I frowned. “But I’ll keep you updated.” I paused. “See? I’m not all bad.”

Brennan scoffed. “Sure you’re not.”

We pulled up to the high school a few moments later, and we parked a few rows away from the front.

Brennan walked stiffly toward the school with me, obviously uneasy.

“Come on, Brennan, I’m sure you’re a much better actor than that,” I chided. “Where’s the guy who avoided anger management classes for six years?”

“I believe he’s trying to remember what they taught him at the moment.”

“At least put your arm around me,” I prodded as we made it to the door.

“Fine,” he groaned as we stepped inside.

Brennan put his arm around my waist as we sauntered into the gym.

Hazel dropped her drink and scrambled to pick it up as Onyx stared, eyes wide.

“Where’s Piper?” he demanded quietly.

“Um…”

Hazel suddenly glanced over at the student section, where Piper was chatting with the two guys from earlier.

“Hey, Piper!” I called, heading over to her as Brennan glared at the boys. I pulled him along and he followed unwillingly.

She looked over and only seemed mildly surprised. “Hey,” she replied.

“Piper, I’m sure you remember Brennan,” I said.

“Of course. Nice to see you again,” she told him.

“Who are your friends?” I inquired, winking at the dark-haired one.

“Zack and Ty. Guys, this is Audrey and her friend Brennan.”

They nodded at us casually.

“Boyfriend, actually,” I corrected her.

She raised an eyebrow. “Really? When did this happen?”

“Just today, in between fifth and sixth hour,” I gushed, making sure I sounded like a giddy schoolgirl.

“Well… that’s great!” Piper told me, admirably enthusiastic. “I’m sure you’ll be very happy together.”

“Thanks,” Brennan muttered.

Ty leaned over Piper and whispered something to Zack, who burst out laughing. “I thought the exact same thing, man!”

“Hey, where’s Melina?” Piper asked the blond guy. “I thought she said she had to be here early.”

“Oh, she’s here,” he said. “Probably off flirting with Fairmont’s football team captain.”

“You mean you guys are done already?” Ty inquired.

“Melina’s fickle,” Piper explained quickly. She glanced at the basketball timer on the wall. We only had a minute before we had to be out on the court. “I’ll talk to you guys later, okay?”

“Sure, Piper,” Ty agreed.

“We’ll be here,” Zack assured her with a grin.

“You won’t mind staying here with them, will you, Brennan?” I asked.

“No.”

“Good.” I leaned forward. “If you say a word about this to either of them, I swear I will kill you.”

#93 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

You updated! Oh my sweet blankie! Hahaha. My gosh I need you to update asap! How can you leave me hanging?? Well, anyways it was an awesome update and I so missed a lot. That's all. Bye! :mgwave:

☺Leah☺

#94 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hey! I finished chapter 21! It's a little longer than normal, so I hope you like it!

Good to have you back, Leah! :)

Chapter 21
Piper’s POV

A million thoughts raced through my head as I tried to comprehend what had just happened.

Audrey and Brennan? It hardly seemed possible. Even though Audrey had made her attraction to him painfully obvious, I’d had no idea that he felt anything for her.

Although I hadn’t seen them together too much. Maybe…

But when he’d looked at me that night… It had been real. So real.

The whole first half of the game went by in a flash of baskets and buzzers.

April stood as the halftime buzzer went off. “Make sure you’re back in ten minutes,” she told us.

Audrey practically bolted to Brennan’s side and I suddenly felt lightheaded.

I left the gym and stumbled down a little-known hallway, finally sinking down by a water fountain. This was ridiculous. I had to get myself together.

“Piper?” I glanced up and saw Zack standing over me, looking worried. “Is everything all right?”

“Not really, no,” I admitted. “But I’ll be okay.”

“It would be okay if you aren’t, you know.” He sat down next to me and sighed. “Wanna talk about it?”

“Not particularly.”

Zack nodded. “Understandable. I’ll just sit here then.”

I laughed softly. “Thanks.”

“Not a problem.”

After a prolonged silence, I suddenly let everything spill out: prom, my feelings for Brennan, all of it. Amazingly enough, Zack waited quietly for me to finish before asking, “Why would he want that *%^## instead of you?”

I giggled. “She’s pretty, I guess.”

“Maybe, but you’re… you’re not like the other girls, Piper.”

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“Good. Definitely good.”

I smiled. “You’re a good listener.”

“Melina thinks I suck at it.”

“She’s wrong.”

“Well, to be honest, nothing she says is remotely interesting. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets her.”

“You’re nice,” I told him sarcastically.

“Just being truthful.”

Delanie poked her head around the corner. “Two minutes, Piper.”

“Thanks, Lanie.”

“No problem.” She was gone as quickly as she’d come.

“Listen, Ty, Nate, and I are going to eat after this. You wanna come? It might make you feel better.”

“Well…”

“Oh, come on. If Ty can’t make you feel better, no one can,” he remarked. “What do you say?”

I smiled. “Okay.”

He stood and helped me to my feet. “Don’t get too upset about this guy, Piper. He’s no fun at all. He’s hardly said a word to us since he sat down.”

“Really? That’s weird. He could hardly stop talking at prom.”

“Yeah, players have a habit of being that way.”

“You’ve heard of him?”

“Only from what Delanie has told me. Sounds like an ass.”

“That’s what everyone else seems to think, too,” I said thoughtfully.

“Well, even if he isn’t, he’s still not good enough for you, Piper, okay? Any guy who doesn’t make his feelings for you clear isn’t worth your time. Got it?”

I nodded as we stepped back into the gym. I jogged to my place just as the timer hit zero.

Nate grinned at me as he and his team left the locker room. I waved, and I saw Audrey gazing over at him hungrily. I rolled my eyes. How many guys did she need?

Onyx stared at me as the third quarter began. “Is everything okay?” she asked worriedly. “You don’t look so good.”

“I’ll be okay,” I assured her.

“I saw Zack go after you.”

“That was really sweet of him.”

I nodded.

I saw Audrey glance over and I met her gaze blankly. What had I done to make her believe that this was okay? I’d barely known her before this.

Suddenly, my throat constricted and a feeling of panic rose in my stomach. I was freezing, then burning the next instant, and I was starting to go numb. Dizziness and lightheadedness overtook me all at once. I could hardly stand up straight…

“Piper?” I looked over, and Hazel was gazing at me, terrified.

“April!” Onyx called.

Our coach looked up from her magazine as Hazel rushed to my side, then jogged down the stairs. “What happened?”

“I don’t know,” Onyx said. “She was fine one minute and then…”

“Piper?” I glanced over and Ty was standing at the edge of the court, concerned.

“Piper, go sit with them,” April commanded.

“But I’m fine,” I objected. “Really. I just got a little dizzy is all.”

“Go over there now. This isn’t a suggestion.”

“I’ll help you,” Onyx promised.

She helped me over to Ty, who sighed. “Piper, Piper, Piper,” he muttered, grinning. “Whatever are we going to do with you?”

I frowned. “Not funny.”

He put his arm around me and supported me as we walked over to the seats. “You feeling okay?” Zack asked as I sat down between him and Ty.

I shot him a sarcastic look. “Oh, I’m just dandy,” I managed.

“Sorry,” he said.

“Geez, you’re cranky when you’re having a panic attack,” Ty remarked. “Come on, Piper, calm down. You can do it.”

“Don’t talk to me like that,” I snapped. “I’m not a puppy.”

“Come here,” Zack sighed as he pulled me over so I could lean my head on his shoulder. “Just try to relax. Are you cold or anything?”

“No, not really.”

“Just close your eyes.”

I did so, and he rubbed my back as I tried to take deep breaths.

Ty scoffed. “Dude, you’re such a tool,” he groaned. I kicked him in the shin. “Hey! Piper, seriously!”

“Shut up,” I demanded.

“Feel any better?” I looked up at Zack.

“A little.”

“Panic attacks suck,” he remarked.

“No kidding.”

Toward the end of the third quarter, I started feeling much better.

“So where are we going to dinner?” Ty asked.

“You should choose,” Zack told him. “You’re driving.”

“Okay.”

When the game was over, I gathered my things, which Ty graciously offered to carry, and heading out to Ty’s new Lexus.

“When will Nate be done?” Zack asked me.

“I don’t know. I never stay that long.”

“Way to show your school spirit,” Ty commended dryly.

Nate emerged a few moments later, smiling as he climbed into the passenger seat.

“Great game,” Ty complimented.

“Thanks.” His gaze rested on me as he twisted around in his seat. “Hey, Piper.”

“Hi,” I greeted.

“Piper’s coming to dinner with us,” Zack told him.

“That’s great!” he said enthusiastically. “I noticed you weren’t with the other girls the second half. Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine,” I assured him.

“She just had a panic attack is all,” Ty joked as we pulled out of the school parking lot.

“Ugh. Really?”

“It was a little one,” I informed. “No big deal.”

“Oh, so is that the reason you still can’t sit up straight?” Zack asked, supporting me as I tried to get off of him. “That little attack?”

“I’ve had them before.”

“That doesn’t make them any less scary,” Nate commented. “For you or for anyone else.”

We pulled into a fairly expensive restaurant and I hesitated. “I don’t think I’m going to get anything,” I said as we climbed out of the car.

“Yes, you are,” Ty ordered. “Don’t worry about the price, either. I’ll take care of it.”

“But I…”

“Listen to him, Piper,” Nate interrupted. “We’re not gonna let you pass out on us.”

We got out of the car, then I sighed as we got halfway in. “I forgot my purse,” I groaned. “I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll go with you,” Nate offered. “You guys go on.”

Ty threw him the keys as I leaned into the backseat to get my bag. When I came back out, Nate was leaning against the car, eyeing me.

“Zack told me everything,” he stated.

I blanched. “Seriously?” I asked in disbelief. “How could he have? You wouldn’t have had any time to hear it.”

“The cell phone is a powerful weapon,” he told me with a grin. “The ‘text’ option is usually the most helpful though.”

“I’m sorry you had to hear all of that.”

“It explains a lot,” he commented. “Like the reason you’ve been so spacey… more than usual, I mean.”

I sighed, trying to fight off the tears. “Can we please not talk about this?”

“It’s okay to be upset. He hurt you. And even though you try to put up this huge wall around you, there are always a few of us who can see through it. He was one of us, and yet he decided to help you make it thicker.”

“Us?” I asked tearfully.

“Yes. Us.” He hugged me as I began sobbing. “And everything is going to work out for the best, I promise.”

#95 *♥Suki♥*

*♥Suki♥*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

SARA SARA SARAAAAA!!!

XDDDDDD

This is AMAZING. SO AMAZING.

LOVED this chapter.

GOD I m bubbling up with theories.. But I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO WRITE THEM HERE BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME NOT TO!

Come on Sara.. Just one theory? Please?

Posted Image

God I miss these emoticons.. I m going to use them more often now Posted Image

Too bad you'll have to bear many of them as I just can't help but post them here Posted Image AHAHAHAHAAA.. This is so awesome ^_^

Okay now Posted Image coming back to the topic of your update. I see many things are in line to change.. :D

Oh and sorry for not commenting on the Audrey chapter, I had my exam the next day so I just read the update and was supposed to comment the next day but forgot Posted Image

Anyways, I m commenting now :D And both the chapters ROCKED my socks off!

And.. oooohh.. I SEE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. Is THIS your amazing new plotline?

Posted Image

Cool.. Posted Image

Okay enough of monkeys now.. Update Soon my lovely writer.. Update soon!

#96 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

*AMAZED*

Woot Woot!!! Go Nate, go Nate! Lalalala. Oh mi gosh! My head's all wild and having a party right now. This update is awesome~! Update asap and thanks for welcoming me back, and I'm back. :)

Ugh, sophomore year in high school is so hectic. I'm so busy now and thanks to a certain someone that rubbed off her procrastination virus on me I became a bad procrastinator; the really bad kind. LOL. I'm procrastinating right now as I speak. Help me! :icon_geek:

#97 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

Finished chapter 22!

I don't have too much to say about it. It's pretty cut and dry. I think... ;)

GOD I m bubbling up with theories.. But I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO WRITE THEM HERE BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME NOT TO!
Come on Sara.. Just one theory? Please?

Haha okay. Go ahead. :lol:

Ugh, sophomore year in high school is so hectic. I'm so busy now and thanks to a certain someone that rubbed off her procrastination virus on me I became a bad procrastinator; the really bad kind. LOL. I'm procrastinating right now as I speak. Help me!

I remember that feeling. Sophomore year is always the time where things start to buckle down a little bit. Good luck!

Chapter 22
Audrey’s POV

I tried to talk to Piper about the boys she’d left with the night before, but she would hardly speak to me. Onyx and Hazel spouted some line about her trying to focus, though I had a feeling there was something other than her pirouettes.

The other girls hardly talked to me. Though Piper had never made a claim, everyone had considered Brennan to be her territory once they’d seen them at prom together. And now that I had ‘stolen’ him, I had to be ignored for at least a week. It was an unspoken rule of the feminine world, but I knew that I would be forgiven soon enough. Besides, none of those girls meant very much to me anyway. Not even Hazel.

When I got to the commons, Brennan was there, leaning against the lockers. “What are you doing here?” I asked in surprise. “You’re supposed to be in class.”

“It’s always healthy to take a day off once in a while,” he remarked. “We were watching a movie, and a pointless one at that.” He hesitated. “I had to talk to you.”

“You’ve decided Piper’s not worth your time and you’re willing to give me a shot?” I asked, knowing that wasn’t it.

“Don’t be stupid,” he scoffed. “I want to talk about this arrangement.”

“Okay. Shoot.”

“It’s not going to work. I’m going to tell Piper everything. All of it. Even the bad parts.”

“That would be very unwise.”

“She trusts me.” He smiled. “I saw it in her eyes.”

“Yeah, but she trusts me too. Why would she believe some guy over me? After all, Piper’s grown up her whole life understanding that men are only going to hurt her. Why should she think that you’d be any different?”

He shook his head in frustration.

“You’re coming over to my house tonight,” I stated.

“No I’m not,” he said immediately.

“Um, yes, you are,” I told him. “I don’t think you understand our deal. You do whatever I want—and I do mean whatever—and I won’t sabotage you and Piper when I decide to let you go.”

“I’m not your slave,” he growled.

“Oh, that’s exactly what you are,” I countered. “That is, unless you want your reputation ruined.”

“When did you get to be such a *%^##?” he inquired.

“When I started realizing that you never get anything you want by doing what Piper does,” I said. “Piper sees a guy she likes, stands by submissively, and lets fate take its course. Because of that, no one she ever wants will ever know how she feels. And she’ll never get him because she’s too quiet for them to get to know her.”

“She seemed perfectly wonderful to me,” Brennan commented.

“Yes, because she wasn’t off in some corner for once,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Every time she’s been around she’s been fine. I haven’t seen any shyness whatsoever.”

“She’s getting better over time. Everyone who knows her knows that she used to be so shy she couldn’t talk to practically anyone. You’re honestly lucky she spoke to you.”

He stared at me for a moment. “Who were those guys she was with last night? Ty and Zack?”

“I don’t know any more about them than you do, honestly. I saw them walking with her yesterday after fifth hour.”

“So you don’t know if they have any feelings for her? Or if she has feelings for one of them?”

“She’s very secretive, you know,” I remarked. “She keeps her feelings bottled up. Even if she did have feelings for one of them, she certainly wouldn’t tell anyone. But I think it was obvious from the way they took care of her last night that at least one of them has feelings for her. Certainly the blond one does.”

“She didn’t seem to be too put off by his attention,” he commented.

“Well, I know I wouldn’t be,” I said. “He was a hottie. Don’t worry though. Melina’s been talking to him. Anyone who knows anything about the dance team knows you don’t go out with a guy one of your teammates has been talking to.” Although I had seen Melina cozying up with one of the Fairmont football players, which kind of voided that deal. But if I told him that he was sure to go after that guy, and then Piper would find out everything… I couldn’t have that.

“This is ridiculous,” he groaned. “I shouldn’t have to be held hostage by you… or anyone for that matter. So what if you can make up stuff? Surely Piper’s smart enough to know what’s real and what’s fiction.”

“Maybe, but do you really wanna take that chance?”

“I bet that once she finds out how I feel, she’ll stop listening to you completely. Especially when I tell her exactly what you’ve been doing to keep me chained to your side.”

“You’re crazy if you think I’m going to give you an opportunity to do that,” I snarled.

“There are times I see her in the hall and you’re not even around,” he pointed out.

“Not anymore. You’re walking me to my classes from now on. Or else.”

“I don’t think so.”

I rolled my eyes. “I know that you seem to think you’re invincible, Brennan, but you’re coming dangerously close to being destroyed by words. They’re much more powerful than you would believe.”

“You can’t be that heartless,” he commented. “Why would you want to hurt Piper?”

“This isn’t about Piper at all. It’s about me.”

“I don’t believe that for a second,” he told me.

“And why not, Dr. Tremaine?” I shot back angrily.

“Because I don’t think you’re doing this solely for yourself. It’s not about you, it’s about some vendetta you have.”

“Can’t something be about me for once?!” I demanded. Brennan stared at me, and I realized what I’d said. “Everyone likes Piper. They rave about how sweet she is, and what a good friend she is. And how pretty she is. Sure, people have called me pretty too, but I’ve never been called those other things. And it’s not fair.”

“You’ve made yourself, Audrey, just like Piper made herself. She just made herself a better person than you have.”

“See, that’s the thing,” I said with a frustrated laugh. “Everyone thinks she’s better than me. And she may be, but at least I get what I want.”

“That’s not how you’re supposed to live your life.”

I scowled. “Well, it’s a good enough way for me. And if you value your life, it will be good enough for you.”

“You can’t keep doing this,” he said. “I’m telling her as soon as she gets out here.”

“Go ahead, but you do it at your own peril.”

He gave me a quick onceover. “I’m pretty sure I could handle you,” he commented. “You may scare those dance girls to death, but when it comes down to it, you’re just as scared as they are of what you’re becoming.”

“You should be a psychiatrist when you grow up,” I told him. “It really fits you. Too bad you’re completely misguided.”

The bell rang at that moment, and a few minutes later, Piper stepped out of the gym and into the commons, looking lovely as usual. Brennan’s eyes lit up.

“Hey, Piper,” I greeted.

She approached us with a smile. “Hi, Audrey. Hey, Brennan.”

“Nice turns this morning,” I complimented.

“Thanks.” She looked around the commons, obviously waiting for someone. “You know, if I had turns like yours, I’d never have to worry about staying on the competition team.”

I laughed. “They don’t come as easily to me as it looks,” I admitted. I hesitated. “Are you looking for someone?”

She turned back to me with a smile. “No, no one,” she said. “Sorry, I’m just a little distracted today.”

“I noticed,” I commented.

Next to me, Brennan shifted. “Hey, Piper?”

The girl raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“Can I talk to you for a second?”

She shrugged. “Sure. Why not?”

She stood there for a moment, waiting for him to begin, but Brennan grabbed her hand. “I meant in private,” he corrected.

Piper stared at their hands in shock. “Uh… sure… I guess…” she stammered.

“Piper.” We all turned to see Zack standing there, eyeing the scene warily.

She pulled her hand from Brennan’s immediately. “Hey,” she said nervously.

“You’re going to be late for Chemistry,” he reminded her.

“Well, you’re not exactly going to be on time for Algebra, now are you?” she pointed out.

He grabbed her arm. “Then we’d both better hurry, right?”

“Uh, right.” She turned to Brennan and me. “I’ll see you guys later.” Her eyes locked on Brennan’s. “Maybe we can talk some other time, okay?”

“Sure,” he murmured.

As the two walked away, we heard Zack say, “Piper, we’ve talked about this before.”

“I know…”

Their conversation faded as they disappeared around a corner.

I glanced over at Brennan, who looked shell shocked. “Nice try,” I said with a chuckle.

He glared at me.

#98 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

What dry are you talking about? It's an exciting an update. Finally, more action! Hahaha. I so wanna b!tch slap Audrey, sorry for the language, but yeah. I'm pretty good at that though, so if you need someone to slap some sense to her I'm your girl. Hehehe. Update soon! :020:

PS:
I think I'm in love with this smiley that's listening to music. LOL. :lol:

#99 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

What dry are you talking about?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

Glad you liked it!

#100 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

LOL, 'cause you said,

I don't have too much to say about it. It's pretty cut and dry. I think.

And no prob. :020:

#101 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

Oh! Haha sorry. I wasn't sure which part you were talking about. I meant that it's pretty straightforward. ;)

#102 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Miraculously, I was able to finish another chapter!

Hope you like it!

Chapter 23
Piper’s POV

“What exactly were you doing?” Zack demanded as he practically pulled me away from Brennan and Audrey.

“Talking to Audrey,” I replied innocently.

“And Brennan.” He sighed. “Piper, he’s no good for you.”

“All I was doing was talking.”

“I saw the look in his eyes. ‘Just talking’ was the farthest thing from his mind.”

“But Zack…”

“We’ve already discussed this, Piper.”

“I know… but he’s so…”

“…Dating someone else.”

“Why should that stop me?” I countered.

“Because you’re not like that.”

“Audrey stole him from me. Why shouldn’t I do the same?”

“You’re better than that, Piper. Besides, if he’s stupid enough to fall for her, he doesn’t deserve you.”

“But Zack…”

“No buts. He’s no good.”

We stopped as we reached my class. “But I think I’m in love with him,” I blurted. I covered my mouth quickly. I wasn’t sure I’d wanted him to know that.

A strange look crossed his face. “Uh… I gotta go, Piper. I’ll see you in fifth hour.”

Before I could reply, he turned and walked away.

I couldn’t concentrate in Chemistry. I’d made a huge mistake. Guys, unless they were head over heels for a girl, hated the L word, I’d come to know. Even if it wasn’t about them.

What was Zack’s problem, anyway? I’d been this close to talking to Brennan, and he’d shown up like an angry big brother. He’d given me his—less than sparkling--- opinion on the on the guy, but shouldn’t he respect my opinion? Didn’t he want me to be happy?

I spent all of second and third hours pondering what had happened in my mind, trying to figure out what Brennan would’ve said. Of course, my inner optimist was imagining declarations of love and eloquent apologies, but it was surely nothing like that.

Luckily, Onyx was sympathetic to my plight and allowed me to stay involved in my own thoughts without too much interference.

Melina, however, was not so merciful.

“So, I saw you with Zack last night,” she said, obviously a bit irritated. “You were looking pretty cozy.”

“I was having a panic attack. He was making sure I didn’t get any worse,” I explained.

“Maybe that’s all it was on your end, but Zack had something else on his mind.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous, Melina. He really likes you. You have nothing to worry about.”

“He’s never been that sweet to me.”

“Have you ever had a panic attack around him?”

“Well, no, but I’ve gotten pissed before. All the time, actually.”

“I think that’s different.”

“Still, he’s being suspiciously clingy toward you.”

“You were being pretty clingy to the Fairmont football captain, though, if I remember correctly.”

Melina smiled. “Well, yeah,” she said. “You have to admit, he’s super hot.”

“Yeah, he is.”

“He asked me to dinner tonight.”

She giggled. “I said yes.”

“Have a good time.”

“I will.”

“I’m kind of confused as to why you were mad at Zack then,” I admitted.

“I just don’t like people who play games,” she said.

I hesitated for a moment. Wasn’t that exactly what she was doing?

“I understand,” I told her.

I tolerated her talking about the football guy the rest of the hour and through lunch. Mostly I just oohed and aahed in all the right places and tried to play the part of the supportive friend.

When I got into fifth hour, Zack was waiting for me. “Listen, I’m sorry I freaked earlier. Your confession was just… unexpected, that’s all.”

“I understand. If it makes you feel better, I wasn’t all that excited when I realized it either.”

“Don’t get me wrong, you can fall in love with whoever you want, but it was kind of a weird choice, don’t you think?”

“Brennan’s a great guy,” I defended.

“Maybe, but he’s also damaged. In and out of anger management, problems with drugs and alcohol, cage fights for money… He doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would date someone like you.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Someone like me?” I echoed. “What does that mean? What kind of person am I?”

He shrugged. “Well… kind of quiet, empathetic, slightly naïve when it comes to love, innocent… guys like him don’t generally date girls like you. They date girls like…”

“…Audrey,” I finished with a sigh.

“Sorry to depress you. But it’s not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, would you really like wondering if what he was telling you was the truth or a product of the alcohol?”

“Well, I guess not,” I allowed.

“If you still…” he grimaced “love him, you should go for it. But I have to warn you, Piper, he’s not a very good guy.”

“How do you know? You’d never met him before last night,” I pointed out.

“I checked him out for you.” He paused. “Besides, it wasn’t exactly the first time I’d spoken to him.”

“Huh?” I asked, surprised.

“He liked Delanie for a while. A lot.”

“I remember.”

“Well, she and Melina got into a fight and Melina started some trash talking.” I nodded to show him I was still listening. “He somehow got my number and called to tell me that if I didn’t keep my ‘girl’ in check, he would put me in check.”

My eyes widened. “I’m so sorry!” I exclaimed.

He chuckled. “Don’t worry, we never fought. But I don’t want you to consider a relationship with him until you want to consider a relationship with him until you know everything I do.”

I looked down at my hands. “Well, I’m glad you told me.”

Nate came in at that moment with a smile. “Hey, Piper. Hey, Zack,” he greeted.

“Hey.”

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Better than last night. I still feel bad about unloading all my problems on you guys,” I commented.

“Maybe we’re hoping someday you’ll be able to return the favor,” Ty reasoned as he sat down next to us. “We help you with guy problems, you help us with girl problems.”

I smiled. “It’s a deal.”

Haven and Hallie came in at that moment and stared at Ty and Zack.

“You’re in our seats, you know,” Hallie commented.

“Wanna switch for today?” Ty offered.

“I think we’ll pass on that,” Haven said.

Zack patted my arm. “Talk to you later,” he said as he and Ty headed to their seats.

“What was that about?” Haven asked as she and Hallie sat down.

“I had a panic attack at the game last night. They helped me calm down, and I told them about this guy… now they’re all acting like my bodyguards.”

“That’s cute,” Hallie said, smiling.

“It’s annoying, that’s what it is,” I remarked.

“You didn’t complain last night,” Nate commented.

“Because you weren’t acting like overprotective jerks then.”

“I haven’t done anything,” he defended.

“Minus ten points,” Hallie stated.

“What?!”

“Maybe you didn’t do anything, but Zack practically dragged me away from Brennan this morning.”

“Tremaine’s an a--h----.” He hesitated. “How you still like him is a mystery to me.”

“He wanted to talk to me,” I said. “I saw from the look on his face that it was important.”

“Brennan doesn’t deserve you.”

“That’s what everyone keeps saying. But feelings are very hard to change.”

“Don’t I know it,” Nate muttered.

#103 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

Awwwwww, you updated! *Tears up* Good job with the update! I really hope you update this fast more often but I won't push you. Just keep giving us lovely updates and what the heck I'd be happy with it. Awwwww, cute Nate. I love him so much!!! Update soon!!! :020:

#104 calliegirl101

calliegirl101

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hello! i am new to this story.
i have to say, that last update was
FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i LOVE this story!!!
please update real soon!!!
pretty please????????????????????

luvs,
caroline

#105 calliegirl101

calliegirl101

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

ps Nate is SOOO in like with Piper!

#106 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Finished chapter 24! This one is much shorter, but I hope it will be just as good!

Caroline: Yay! A new reader! I'm glad you like my story! :) (And yes, he is :D )

Chapter 24
Audrey’s POV

“You have to find out about these guys,” Brennan told me at lunch the next day. “Who are they? What do they do? Are they anyone notable here?”

“Why do you expect me to stick out my neck for you?” I demanded. “All you’ve done is cause me problems.”

“Um, sorry, but if you hadn’t decided to be so *%^##y, this wouldn’t have even happened,” he pointed out.

“It’s not my fault you decided to fall in love with the chicken instead of the filet mignon.”

“See, that’s just another thing about you. You’re so self-centered and self-righteous. You’re the exact opposite of Piper.”

“If you hadn’t decided to fall for Little Miss Perfect, things wouldn’t be a problem, now, would they?”

“No, if I hadn’t decided to trust you, things wouldn’t be a problem,” he snapped.

Irritated, I pulled up Facebook on my phone and did a quick check. “The blond is on the football team, and I don’t think the other guy does anything. Both pretty big men on campus, apparently.”

“Great. Are they in relationships?”

I glanced at the page. “No.”

“Neither of them?”

I shook my head.

“This is gonna be a fun competition.” He hesitated. “What are their names again?”

“Uh, Ty Zimmerman and Zack Palmer.”

He leaned back in his chair, taking a deep breath. “Oh, no… Oh, great. This is gonna get complicated.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve spoken to him?”

“Which one?”

“Zack.”

I shook my head quickly. “Of course you have. At the game.”

“No. On the phone. His girlfriend—or ex-girlfriend now, apparently—was fighting with Delanie a month ago. Back when I liked her. I, uh… I threatened him.”

“Seriously?” He nodded. “That sucks.” I grinned. “Sounds like I’m gonna have some help trashing you, huh?”

Brennan glared at me. “This isn’t funny, Audrey,” he growled. “You have to help me get her away from him.”

“That’s stupid. Why would I do that?”

“Because without Piper I have no reason to stay with you,” he stated.

I hesitated. He did have a point there. “What do you want me to do?” I asked reluctantly. “I’ll see if I can work it in somewhere.”

He looked annoyed. “I don’t know. You’re the conniving one. Why don’t you just spread some sort of rumor or something? You seem to be good at that.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’ll see,” I promised. “I just don’t know what I’d say. I mean, he and Melina didn’t really date that long… I didn’t get much dirt on him.”

“The cheating angle always works,” Brennan suggested.

“True. And Melina did say that he has a lot of friends that are girls.”

“That’s way different than cheating though.”

“Not if I twist it into something it’s not.”

“You’re an evil genius, do you know that?” he told me. It didn’t sound like a compliment, but I smiled anyway.

“Yep.”

“What if it doesn’t work?” he asked.

“My plans always work. Don’t worry, lover boy, Piper will forget about Zack as soon as I get through with him.”

“Good. Maybe if you focus on him for a while you’ll forget to trash talk me,” he theorized.

“Don’t count on it,” I said. “I’m being merciful right now, but it’s not going to last. Besides, the less appealing Zack sounds, the more appealing you’re going to sound. And we can’t have that, now, can we?”

“Audrey,” he groaned.

“Do you want Zack out of the way or not? Because I can leave him be if I want to.”

He sighed. “Fine. As long as he’s discredited…”

“Good.”

I got my chance after school that day.

Piper smiled as she ended up walking next to me on the way out. “How was your day, Audrey?” she asked me. The genuine tone of her voice told me she, unlike most people, actually cared about my answer.

“It was good. I talked to Brennan some more, of course, but then, he’s my boyfriend. I should be able to talk to him all the time, right?”

The girl shrugged. “I don’t know. That seems a little clingy to me.”

I almost strangled her. No wonder all the boys wanted her. “Well, not to Brennan. He loves it,” I gushed.

“That’s nice,” she said nonchalantly.

“I’m sure Zack loves it, too, you know,” I told her.

She stopped and looked over at me. “What does Zack have to do with this?” she asked.

“Well, you two have been getting a little close lately, don’t you think?”

“I guess.”

“You should be careful of him, Piper. I’ve heard some pretty bad things about him,” I remarked conspiratorially.

“Oh? Like what?” She still didn’t drop her only mildly interested façade.

“Like he cheated on Melina.”

“That’s ridiculous.” Her indifference took an almost imperceptible shift to irritation. “He would never do something like that.”

“Well, that’s not what I heard. I heard he cheated with like three girls while Melina thought he was out with his friends.”

“You know how people can be,” she remarked. “They always find something to gossip about, even if it’s not the truth.”

“Be careful, Piper,” I warned. “Even if you don’t believe the rumors, you know the friend’s ex dating rules.”

“Yes, I’m aware.”

“And you know they were trying to work things out.”

“I know.”

“Well, just be prepared for some major gossiping and trash talking if you end up going out with him.”

“That’s not going to be a problem, because we’re just friends,” she assured me. She hesitated, staring at me pointedly. “But even if we weren’t, it shouldn’t be an issue. Melina has clearly moved on, and he has no interest whatsoever in her. Yes, there are rules, but there are also time limits.”

“Right.”

She raised an eyebrow. “And what do you care about boundaries?”

I stared at her for a moment, my mouth open wide in shock. She gave me a somewhat icy smile before turning on her heel and leaving me alone in the parking lot.

#107 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

Chapter 25
Piper’s POV

As I came into school the next day, I still couldn’t believe what Audrey had told me. It was impossible. Zack had liked Melina too much to risk their relationship that way.

Of course, it wasn’t as if Audrey hadn’t lied to me before. I was almost certain that half the things she told me about Brennan were made up. But I still wanted to know for sure. I didn’t want to doubt Zack any more than I wanted to doubt Brennan. Luckily, Zack would be much easier to get to.

“Piper?” I turned and saw Hazel staring at me. “Is everything okay?”

“Sure. It’s fine.”

She gazed at me for a moment. “I don’t believe you.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Are you sure?”

I nodded. “I just need some time alone, to think things out.”

“Okay,” she said hesitantly. “See you later.” She walked away, and I looked at the ground, trying to figure out what I was going to say.

I didn’t know why I cared so much. After all, I wasn’t going to date him. He didn’t think that way about me.

“Hi, Piper.” I turned and saw Zack standing there. He saw the expression on my face and frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“Um… nothing,” I said quickly, setting my bag on a table. Suddenly I didn’t want to ask anymore.

“No. Something’s wrong. Very wrong.” He put a hand on my arm, and I felt a strange tingle up through my shoulder. “Tell me.”

“Well, I heard some rumors.”

“Rumors about what?”

“Someone told me you cheated on Melina,” I revealed quickly.

Zack stared at me for a prolonged moment. “Who told you that?”

“I probably shouldn’t say.”

“Piper, tell me.”

I sighed. “Audrey Malloy.”

“I don’t even know who that is!” he exclaimed in frustration.

“You met her at the basketball game. Brennan’s girlfriend.”

“But she never met me before that. Melina isn’t even friends with her.”

“I know.”

“Piper, I swear to you, nothing like that happened. I may not have been fond of her there toward the end, but I didn’t cheat.”

“I believe you.”

“Really? You’re not going to doubt me?”

“No,” I sighed. “Besides, what I think doesn’t matter.”

“Yes it does.”

I saw Audrey and Brennan come into the commons as the bell rang, and I squirmed when I saw them look over at me.

Zack put his hand on mine. “Piper, let him go. Please.”

“I wish it was that simple,” I murmured.

“What would it take?” he asked. “To make you forget about him, that is.”

“I don’t know. A new guy, I guess,” I admitted.

He looked down at our hands. “I’ll see what I can do,” he told me. He sighed. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Okay.”

He left the commons slowly, and I stared at him. What was his deal?

“Something wrong?” Audrey asked as she and Brennan approached.

“No, nothing,” I said quickly. I smiled. “Nice try.”

“Huh? What are you talking about?” I had to admit, her confusion was convincing. Too bad I’d caught on to her little web of lies.

“Zack. Did you really think I wouldn’t check your story with him?”

“I… well, Melina told me…”

“She never told you anything. You two aren’t close enough to share that kind of information with each other. And if she didn’t tell me, she sure as hell didn’t tell you.”

“Listen, I’m sorry. I wish I could say I made it up, but… I know a girl who swears she slept with him.”

I shook my head. “Sorry. I’m not buying it.”

“But I…”

“Piper,” Brennan began as I turned around. “Please stay.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t,” I said, walking off.

I floated through school with a cloud hanging over me. I didn’t know what to think anymore, and it was making me crazy.

After school, I walked out toward my car when a slick Mercedes cut me off. The window rolled down and Zack grinned at me. “Get in,” he said.

“What?”

“Get in. Come on, Piper. I don’t have all day.”

I stared at him for a moment, then circled the car and climbed in.

“This is really nice, Zack,” I commented, looking at the immaculate interior.

“I’m glad you like it.”

“Where are we going?” I asked as we sped away. “And what’s going to happen to my car?”

“It’ll be fine. You have a permit, no one will touch it.”

“You still didn’t answer my first question.”

“I’m taking you out to the country,” he said.

“Zack, I’m not sure I’m entirely comfortable…”

“Oh, come on, trust me. Would I ever hurt you?”

I gazed at him for a moment. “I’m keeping my cell phone on me at all times,” I warned.

“I would be disappointed if you didn’t,” he told me.

“This is wrong. Brennan will think…”

“Piper, you shouldn’t care what he thinks. He’s dating Audrey.”

“Why are you taking me out to the country?” I inquired.

“Because you need to relax and get away from all the people who’ve been stressing you out lately.”

“How do you know you’re not one of them?”

“Am I?”

I hesitated, irritated he’d actually followed up on that. “No.”

“So why are you so tense?”

“I’m not tense. When did I say I was tense?”

“I can see it in your eyes.”

“Most guys don’t really look at girls’ eyes,” I muttered, not expecting him to hear.

“Most guys are afraid to fall,” he said.

“What?” I tried to come up with a reason for his statement other than the obvious one that came racing to my mind.

“That’s the most intimidating feature a girl has,” he reasoned. “And your eyes, Piper… They’re very powerful.”

“They’re just eyes.”

“They’re hypnotic. People, especially guys, recognize that and try to avoid them.”

“So why do you keep looking?”

“Because I can’t stop.”

If he had told me he was an alien I wouldn’t have been more surprised. “Does that mean what I think it does?” I said. I looked down and saw that I was shaking.

There was a prolonged moment of silence. “I don’t… let’s talk about this in a minute.”

We continued down the road in silence, and I tried to get control of my feelings.

I glanced over and he was intent on the road. I’d never noticed how attractive he was. Maybe because I’d considered him off-limits.

But he was. Very attractive. His biceps rippled as he turned the wheel, and I tried not to stare.

“We’re almost there.”

We maneuvered down an overgrown path and suddenly we came face to face with a beautiful lake. “Zack, this is gorgeous,” I breathed.

He parked and we walked down to the waterfront, finally sitting down on a nearby dock.

“So…” I began.

“Piper, I know you have some sort of… aversion to compliments, but you’re really amazing.”

“Zack…”

“And when you hung out with all of us, I couldn’t help but find you attractive, much more than Melina. I just hope you realize that your sweet personality makes you more beautiful than 90% of the girls at our school.”

I looked at the ground, sure I was blushing. “Thanks.”

“I care more about you than Brennan ever could,” he told me. “I don’t… I’m not good at relationships. I mean, ask Melina. But…”

“Zack…” I was getting even shakier, and I wanted him to stop for a second so I could calm down. I didn’t like being so weird about anything and everything romantic, but I couldn’t exactly help it.

He noticed my nervousness immediately. “Are you okay?” he asked worriedly.

“Yeah. Just give me a second,” I murmured. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.” He rubbed my back, and soon I calmed down enough to stop shaking.

“Okay, I think I’m better now,” I said.

“Good. Sorry if I caused that.”

“No, it’s me. I get really weird.”

He put a hand on my arm. “Piper, I want to try this. Us.”

“Us?” I echoed.

“Yes, us.”

“Are you trying to make me forget Brennan? Because I don’t want to be played like that. I can get over him without that.”

“That’s not it at all. Though it does have a part in the timing of all of this.” He hesitated. “Are you telling me you can’t see yourself dating me at all?”

I gazed into his eyes. They were very blue. “I… I can,” I said. It was the only coherent thought I could form.

“You’re shaking again,” he told me with a chuckle.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I get nervous when people… I mean guys… ask to be my…” I didn’t want to say it. He would surely think it was too soon.

“Boyfriend?” He laughed. “Piper, I think this qualifies as a date. Besides, if I didn’t want the label I wouldn’t have done all this, now, would I?”

“That’s true.” I lay back on the dock. “This has been an eventful day.”

“No kidding,” he agreed, leaning back and propping himself up with an elbow.

I stared up at him. “I’m going to try to get over him,” I promised.

“Is it at least getting easier?” he inquired.

I smiled. “Easier every second.”

#108 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Sara! How can you do this to me? Waaahh I'm crying right now! :icon_mecry2: Come on, please update! I so need to know what'll happen between Piper and Zack. Pleeeeaaaaassssseeee??? :(
Well, that's all.. :020:

#109 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Hey everyone!

I finally finished an update! I'd been working on another story for a while, and there have been some issues, but hopefully I'll remember this one better.

Hope you guys like the chapter!

Chapter 26
Audrey’s POV

When I came into the commons the next morning for first hour, everyone was buzzing. Hazel came rushing up to me, smiling. “Guess what!” she exclaimed excitedly.

“What?” I asked with a frown. Brennan had put up quite a fuss the night before, and I wasn’t in a very good mood.

“Piper has a boyfriend!” she squealed, jumping up and down.

My mouth dropped open. “What?” I repeated in shock. “Are you serious?”

She looked confused. “Why would I lie to you about something like that? Isn’t it exciting?!”

I nodded stiffly. “Who is it?”

“I don’t know. I tried to get her to tell me, but she wouldn’t. She seems to like the low key approach to dating. She says they’d like to keep it quiet for a little while, at least until they’ve been going out a little bit. They don’t want drama to get in the way of their relationship.”

I nearly turned over the table in frustration. “Smart girl,” I growled.

“I can’t wait to finally meet him!” she cried.

“Where is Piper?”

“She’s not here yet. She should be coming in at any minute now.”

I sat down and sighed. This was going to be great. Now that Piper had a boyfriend, there would be no reason for Brennan to continue to date me. Since there was already someone in his way, he wouldn’t even care about my interference anymore.

Unless I could convince him that when they broke up I would make sure she never considered him next.

At that moment, Piper breezed in with a smile. “Good morning,” she said cheerfully.

“Piper!” Hazel screeched as she and Onyx bolted to the girl’s side like giddy schoolgirls.

“Tell us about him!” Onyx demanded. “How did he ask you out?”

“He took me out to the lake,” she reported, grinning. “He asked me while we were lying out on the dock.”

“That’s so precious!’ Hazel cried, hugging Piper and jumping up and down with her.

“Are you happy?”

“Very,” she replied.

“Did you expect it?” Onyx inquired.

“After a while, he started making it clear. And when I say that I mean in the car on the way to the lake. I had no idea before that.”

“Boys have always been totally aloof unless they really want you to know something,” Hazel commented.

“Yeah.”

“Are you happy?” I asked.

“Oh, my gosh, yes. As unexpected as it was, I really think we were meant to be together. I mean, I’m not saying I’m counting on us being together forever, because that’s totally unrealistic, but I think there’s something to be gained from our relationship. Whether it’s a lesson or a future husband, I guess I’ll find out.”

I was struck by the maturity of her comment. Usually every girl with a new boyfriend believes without a shadow of a doubt that they’re going to marry said boyfriend, but Piper was different. How could anyone possibly compete? Ugh…

“What does Zack think?” Hazel asked. I raised an eyebrow. That was a good question.

She shrugged. “He’s happy,” she said. “He’s been really sweet about it.”

“That’s good. I thought he might be a little overprotective,” Onyx remarked. “He was really getting touchy about everything.”

“No, not really,” she countered nonchalantly.

“Is he still gonna walk you to class?” Onyx asked. “Because that was really sweet.”

“Of course he will,” she said. “I’m not going to let my boyfriend keep me from being friends with him.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to tell us who he is?”

“Not yet,” she told us. “We’re not quite ready for all the drama.”

Brennan approached as Piper took a sip of a drink I didn’t realize she’d had. “Good morning, Piper,” he greeted as he reluctantly put an arm around me. “Audrey.”

Before I could stop her, Hazel exclaimed, “Piper got asked out!”

He looked like he’d been hit by a bus as he gazed at Piper. “Seriously?”

“Yeah. Seriously,” she told him.

“Who?” His voice was blank, but I could hear the underlying anger.

“We’re not telling anyone yet,” she told him. “So I can’t say. But once we do, I’m sure word will get to you soon enough.”

Zack approached as soon as the bell rang. “Piper,” he greeted with a smile.

“Did you hear about Piper’s secret boyfriend?” Hazel demanded.

I scowled. Hazel was starting to get very annoying, rubbing that in my face.

“Yes, I heard,” he said.

“Do you know who it is?” Onyx inquired.

“Yes, I do,” he told us.

“Why did you tell him?!” Hazel shrieked.

“Because he doesn’t gossip like you.”

“Ty and Nate know too,” Zack revealed.

“Piper!” Hazel scolded, irritated.

“You know I love you guys, but you’re not very good at keeping secrets,” she remarked. “Zack, Ty, and Nate can keep a secret better than anyone.”

“Sorry to take you away from your friends, Piper, but we have some things to discuss.”

“Such as…?” Brennan challenged.

Zack and Brennan exchanged a hostile glance before Zack led Piper away.

“We’ll see you later, guys,” Onyx said as she and Hazel left.

“What the hell was that?” I snarled. “You’re starting to become a little too obvious for everyone’s good.”

“She’s going out with someone else,” he shot back. “Why should I care if I’m obvious or not? It’s not like it matters anymore.”

“Because I can still ruin you. When she and her new guy break up in a few weeks or so, I’ll make sure you still don’t have a chance.”

“You’re really a piece of work, do you know that?”

“I’m aware.”

“What makes you think that they’ll only last a few weeks?” he asked.

“It’s been my experience that people who like to keep their relationships secret don’t last very long because they have something to hide.”

“That’s ridiculous.”

“No it’s not,” I said, irritated.

“If relationships didn’t last because of that, your relationship with everyone you’ve ever met would be nonexistent,” he replied, turning and walking away before I could say something else.

#110 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

new reader alert!!!Posted Image

when r we getting an update ?????????????

i m dying for it !!!

-Anshi

#111 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

oh my god!!! As in hubababa oh my god!!! :hyper: Great update!!! Please hurry up with the next chapter 'cause I wanna know what'll happen next, but no rush. :user: That's all, and you made me very happy this chapter. :020:

Edited by ☺Leah☺, 01 May 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#112 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hey everyone! This was by far one of my favorite chapters to write!

Anshi: Yay! New reader! I'm glad you like the story!

Hope you guys like the chapter!

Chapter 27
Piper’s POV

“So, did your friends give you any more trouble?” Zack asked as we sat together in a café across town.

“Are you kidding? Of course they did. I was this close to telling them just so they’d shut up,” I commented. “But don’t worry. I didn’t say anything.”

“I’m not the one that’s worried about people knowing,” he commented. “You are.”

“I know you think it’s weird, and I know you’re anxious to let everyone know about us, but I don’t want our relationship to be influenced by what everyone else says.”

“Piper, if you think I’m going to let some stupid rumors change my feelings for you, you’re crazy,” he comforted, kissing me.

“I know, I know.”

He noticed the distant look on my face. “Did Brennan say something to you?” he predicted.

“No, not really. Just the way he looked at me. And not only that, but the way he looked at you. He knows, Zack. Maybe not consciously, but there’s a part of him who knows exactly who my boyfriend is. And the way he’s reacting is kind of scary.”

“I told you he’s not as wonderful as you thought,” he remarked.

“And you were right.”

“I saw the way he looked at you, too,” he agreed. He looked angry. “He was definitely ogling… I wanted to rip his head off.”

“That’s not necessary,” I assured him.

“I’m not so sure about that.”

I sighed as I gazed at him, reveling in the adoration in his eyes.

“Are you getting over him?” he inquired after a moment of silence. I couldn’t help but feel like crying. Zack had been so good to me, and he deserved to be the only one I cared about. But though my feelings for Brennan were waning significantly, they were still far from vanished.

“I’m starting to,” I told him. I didn’t want to lie. “I wish I could give you more. I really do. You’re making it easy for me to fall out of love with him, really, you are. But I don’t let go of things easily. I hate asking you to be patient with me, but…”

He smiled at me. “Piper, I would wait forever for you.”

I leaned against him and he put his arm around me. “You’re so sweet,” I told him. I laughed softly. “I never thought I’d land someone like you.”

“Someone like me?” he echoed. “I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about.”

“Someone sweet, and caring… flawed, but not overly so. Not to mention someone so freaking gorgeous,” I commented. “I’ve never considered myself to be the kind of girl someone like you would be interested in.”

“Piper, you are the epitome of perfection. How you could ever think that anyone wouldn’t want to date you is a mystery to me.”

“I’ve told you about my dating record. Can you honestly blame me for thinking that way?”

He took my hand and leaned back into the corner of the booth. “You told me the whole story, and the only reason I can think of for that is the fact that you’re normally so shy.”

“I thought I was getting better,” I admitted.

“You are,” he allowed. “But honestly, if Ty hadn’t started talking to you, I would’ve been too intimidated to talk to you.”

“Intimidated?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. Because contrary to your prior belief, you are an amazing girl. Smart, pretty, funny, genuine… do you know how many guys spend their whole lives looking for someone like you? But when you’re so reserved… it’s hard to approach you sometimes.”

I looked at the ground. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault, Piper,” he said. “You’ve been hurt and you don’t want it to happen again. Besides, anyone who’s not willing to go the extra mile to get your attention doesn’t deserve to have you in the first place.”

I smiled. “You’re sweet.”

“You’re pretty sweet yourself, baby,” he told me.

As I kissed him and gazed out the door, I was horrified to see Onyx walking in the door with Wyatt. “Oh, no!” I cried, immediately crawling under the table.

Zack looked under the table at me, fighting back laughter. “What are you doing?” he asked. He let a chuckle escape.

“Onyx and Wyatt are here. Oh, why did they decide to come all the way out of here? It’s so far out of the way I thought no one we knew could possibly be here!”

“Piper, you’re being a little overprotective of our secret, don’t you think?”

“Don’t say my name,” I hissed. “They might hear you.”

“Okay, okay. But they’re going to see your purse and your food,” he pointed out.

“Your sister’s in the bathroom,” I told him quickly.

“Zack!” Onyx said a little too eagerly as I heard her approach with her boyfriend. “What are you doing here?”

“Just having dinner with my sister,” he explained smoothly. I sighed. I was going to thank him for that later.

“Sounds like fun.” She hesitated. “So are you going to tell me who Piper’s dating?”

“Not unless she wants me to,” he said.

“Don’t you want to help her? I mean, she’s going to have to let people know anyway. Why don’t you tell us now and save her the trouble of having to deal with all the rumors?”

“I don’t think it’s my place to say,” he said.

“They’re going to make all kinds of crazy assumptions,” she warned.

“I’m not going to tell you, Onyx, so you might as well stop asking.”

She sighed. “I had to try.”

“I understand.”

“Well, we’re going to head out to the basketball game,” she remarked. “It’s not very far from here. You and your sister are welcome to come if you want.”

“I don’t think she’d like that, but thanks for offering,” he said.

“No problem. See you later, Zack.”

“Bye.” I heard her walk away, and hesitated, unsure of whether or not she was still in the building. He laughed. “You can come up now, Piper.”

I popped out from under the table and I got some dirty looks from a few of the older customers. “I thought they’d never leave,” I remarked. “That floor is disgusting.”

“Well, you didn’t have to hide from them,” he told me a little too loudly. The older customers looked relieved, since they’d obviously been listening in on our conversation.

“They’d know about us if I let them see me,” I pointed out.

“Like I said, I’m perfectly fine with that.”

“Just a few days, Zack. I promise I’ll let everyone know after that, okay?”

He smiled. “Okay.”

“So, what do you want to do now?” I asked as we finished eating.

“There’s a park not far from here,” he said.

“Okay. Lead the way.”

He smiled as he grabbed my hand and led me out to his car, chivalrously opening the door for me. I climbed in and smiled. “You know, you really are something, Zack Parker.”

“I know,” he joked, grinning.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t get cocky now.”

“If I do it’s because you made me that way,” he warned as he slid behind the wheel and started the car.

“So you’re blaming your ego on me?” I asked, pretending to be insulted.

“Partially,” he told me, pulling away from the café and starting down the road toward the park.

“Oh, lucky me,” I groaned.

He leaned over and kissed me.

“Come on, watch the road!” I scolded. “You’re going to get us both killed!”

“You’re so paranoid,” he commented with a laugh.

“Well, forgive me for worrying about our lives,” I said sarcastically.

He smiled. “You are so cute.”

#113 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Awwwww, you updated! And it was a gorgeous update too!!! :love7: Anyways, update soon! :020:

Edited by ☺Leah☺, 07 May 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#114 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:22 AM

i loved the update i can't wait till everyone finds out

-Anshi

#115 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

I take back what I said before: THIS was my favorite chapter to write. Although I'll probably say that every time I post a chapter from now on...

Anyway, hope you all like it!

Chapter 28
Audrey’s POV

“Good morning, Audrey,” Piper greeted as she stepped into the locker room a week later.

“Hey,” I said as she pulled a pretty turquoise dress out of her bag. “That’s cute.”

“Thanks.” She plopped down in front of the mirror and started putting her makeup on.

“You must be going somewhere special today to be wearing a dress like that,” I commented. “Got plans?”

“A date,” she told me.

“With…?”

She gazed over at me with a sigh. “Audrey, you’ve been trying to get me to tell you who I’m dating for the past week now. Aren’t you getting a little bored with the subject?”

“No way. What could be more interesting than your secret boyfriend?” I hesitated, grasping onto an unconsidered possibility. “Or maybe there is no boyfriend. Maybe you’re just saying that to get attention.”

Piper stared at me for a moment, then laughed. “Really?” she asked. “That’s not something I would pull.”

“Are you sure? Because we haven’t seen any trace of this so called boyfriend ever since you’ve been dating him.”

“Are you certain of that?” she inquired, giving me a look that said I should have figured it out long ago.

“You’re trying to make me feel stupid, aren’t you?” I asked. I had to admit, she was doing a pretty good job of it.

“Not consciously,” she said cryptically. The girl smiled. “Don’t worry. After this morning, all will be revealed.”

“You mean you’re actually going to let us meet your boyfriend?” I questioned skeptically. “I have to admit that I don’t really believe you.”

“You’ll see,” she told me. “I decided it was time to let everyone know. We can’t keep it a secret forever.”

“And what does your boyfriend think about telling everyone?”

“He’s been for it ever since our first date,” she remarked with a shrug. “But I wanted to get to know him a little better first. I wanted to make sure we had a real shot at lasting before we announced it to the world and got everyone psyched about us together.”

“I understand, I guess,” I said. “But I never wanted that. I mean, why let girls believe that the guy is still available? He could find someone he likes better before you’ve had a chance to get established.”

“I don’t think so. My boyfriend really cares about me. It would take a pretty amazing girl to get him to forget about me so quickly.”

“I wish I could be as sure as you are,” I blurted before I thought about what I was saying.

Piper froze for a moment, then gazed at me calculatedly. “Are you and Brennan having problems?” she asked cautiously.

“No, no,” I assured her. “Well… not really.”

She tilted her head. “You know you can tell me anything.”

“I know. I just… it’s really kind of personal.”

“If you don’t want to talk about it I totally understand.” She plugged in her straightener and finished putting on her mascara. “I know there are a lot of things I’d rather keep to myself.”

“Have you ever gotten the idea that sometimes… your boyfriend is only dating you because he can’t get the girl he really wants?”

Piper looked as if she’d been slapped in the face as she began straightening her hair. “N… no,” she stammered. “And I must say, Audrey, I find that kind of insulting.”

I rolled my eyes. “I wasn’t talking about you, Piper,” I sighed. “I was talking about me.”

She frowned. “But he adores you,” she objected, running a comb through her bangs. “He makes it pretty clear.”

“I wish I believed that.”

I couldn’t believe it when I saw the genuine concern in her eyes. “Why do you think he likes someone else better? I mean, has he been flirting with someone?” She turned. “Is my hair straight?”

“Yeah, it’s straight. And no, not really.” Because I didn’t give him a chance.

“Then I don’t see how you’re worried,” she remarked, parting her hair expertly and putting on deodorant. “Try not to get suspicious until you have an actual reason. You’ll be much happier.”

I chuckled dryly as she slipped into her dress. “Yeah. Right.”

When we got out to the commons, Brennan was waiting. He smiled and put his arm around me as Piper perched herself on one of the tables.

“Hey, Brennan!” Hazel shouted, bouncing up to us. “Hey, Audrey! Hey, Piper!”

Piper was the only one who reacted positively. “Hey, Hazel,” she said. “I heard you tell Audrey you and your boyfriend are telling everyone today.”

“Yeah, that’s the idea.”

“Telling everyone what?” Kacey asked as she stepped up to us.

“Telling everyone who her boyfriend is.”

“Oh, really?” she said. “That’s great!”

I felt Brennan tense beside me, and he frowned. “Is he coming here?” he asked, keeping the malice in his voice contained admirably.

“He should be,” she told him, seeming oblivious to the anger and frustration in his eyes. “I’m sorry I couldn’t tell everyone sooner, but I… everything was so complicated with my life. And I wanted to get everything straightened out before I brought in all the drama other people bring.”

“I totally understand, sweetie,” Onyx commented. “Wyatt and I have already started to see the problems other people cause in relationships.”

The other girls started to come in, and Delanie stared at Brennan dubiously. “Do you ever go to class?” she asked him with a scoff.

He eyed her distastefully. “Do you ever stop criticizing people, Lanie?”

“Not when they have as much to criticize as you,” she sang as she left us to sit down with some of the other girls.

“What exactly happened between you and Delanie, Brennan?” I couldn’t help but inquire.

“Why don’t you ask Piper? She knows.”

I started. I didn’t realize they’d talked about so much at the prom. “I’d really rather hear it from you,” I told him. “You’re my boyfriend after all.”

“I’ll tell you later,” he murmured, shaking his head. “It’s a long story and I have no desire to talk about it now.”

“When is he coming?” Hazel inquired anxiously. She was practically jumping up and down. “I can’t wait to meet him!”

“He should be here soon,” she assured the girl. “Relax, okay?”

“Okay,” she said with a groan.

Zack approached at that moment, grinning. “Hey, everyone. What’s all the excitement?”

“Piper’s going to tell us who her boyfriend is today!” Hazel exclaimed. I couldn’t believe how excited she could get about every little thing.

“Oh, really?” he asked with a chuckle. “I’ll bet you’re excited.”

“Oh, I can’t wait!”

Piper smiled. “Then I won’t prolong the suspense any longer.” She glanced at Zack and, to my surprise, gave him a kiss as he put his arms around her. “Morning, baby,” she purred.

#116 Anshi

Anshi

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:39 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

poor poor brenan i hate audrey can't you kill her of something
but i am also feeling soo good for piper atlast

-Anshi

poor guy brenan only if someone was there to console him

#117 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

Awwww!!! That is so cute and cuddly!!! :love7: Waaaahhh!!! Now you just make me want you to update real soon! Update, update, update! :020:

#118 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hey everyone! So I finally finished an update!

There are only going to be a few more chapters after this... I'm kind of sad it's going to be ending so soon!

Anyway, hope you like the chapter!

Chapter 29
Piper’s POV

The shocked stares we got were priceless. Zack and I glanced at each other, amused by their amazed reactions.

“You… you’re Piper’s new boyfriend?” Brennan stammered, sending what seemed to be a glare Zack’s way.

Audrey put a hand on his arm. “We’re so happy for you!” she told me enthusiastically.

“Thanks!” I said, matching her enthusiasm. I was certain it was faked. She was never happy for anyone but herself.

“How long had you liked her before you asked her out?” Hazel asked, gazing at Zack.

I gazed over at him. That was a good question. “Yeah, Zack. How long?”

He laughed. “A couple months, I guess. As I got to know her I became more and more charmed by her.”

“Why did you choose to ask her just now?” Onyx grilled. “Did something change recently?”

“I had gotten to know her a lot better, like I said. And I was worried that if I didn’t act then, she would never know how I felt.”

Brennan started toward Zack and Audrey pulled him back quickly. “We’re thrilled you’re so happy, Piper,” she remarked. “Aren’t we, Brennan?”

“Sure,” he muttered dryly. “We’re ecstatic.”

“Well, you guys definitely look adorable together,” Onyx complimented.

Zack and I gazed at each other, smiling.

“Yeah, definitely,” Audrey agreed.

“Piper,” Brennan said through his teeth, “can I speak to you for a moment?”

Zack’s arm tightened around my waist as he gazed at Brennan. “She can’t,” he stated. I knew he was worried I would leave him if Brennan told me what I’d wanted to hear.

What he didn’t know was that, although I still had feelings for Brennan, I was definitely falling for Zack. There was no way I would leave such a gentle, loving boyfriend for someone who couldn’t even tell me how he felt.

I saw Brennan clench his fists as the bell rang. “I really do need to get to chemistry,” I said, hoping to ease some of the tension.

“Are you and Zack coming to the team dinner tonight? Everyone’s bringing their boyfriend,” Hazel reported.

“Yeah, we’ll be there,” Zack confirmed. He shifted uncomfortably. “Piper, we’d really better go.”

“See you later guys,” I told them quietly as we turned and walked away.

“He still has feelings for you,” he remarked, shaking his head. “I don’t like it, Piper. I don’t like it one bit.”

“Listen, Zack,” I said, pulling him into a rarely used hallway and pressing him up against the wall. “You have nothing to worry about.”

“You like him,” he muttered, sighing. “A lot.”

The look on his face made me realize just how much I’d been hurting him recently. I put my arms around his neck and gazed into his eyes. “Maybe,” I admitted. “But I’m falling in love with you. And no one- not even Brennan- could make me want to leave you so easily.”

He stared at me for a prolonged moment. “You really mean that, don’t you?” he asked.

I smiled. “Why else would I say it?”

Zack chuckled and gave me a kiss. “True.” He kissed me again and wrapped his arms around me as the bell rang. He broke away, looking like it was the last thing he wanted to do. “We should probably get going.”

“Yeah.”

He took my hand and walked me to my class quickly, then headed downstairs as I stepped inside and met the awkward glances of everyone inside.

I had given up on chemistry. Mr. Newbury was never going to make sense to me, so there was really no point in trying to understand his faulty lessons and messed up logic.

Instead, I thought of Zack and our date at the dance team dinner tonight. Afterward we were going out to the lake to spend the weekend at his parents’ lake house. To the surprise of everyone involved, my parents had okayed the outing, saying it would be a good opportunity for me to get to know him better.

They knew, just as I did, that Zack respected my wishes. There was no way he would pressure me to go too far too fast. We’d spoken about it before, and he had no intention of doing anything before I was ready.

Though I knew I wasn’t ready for that step a week into our relationship, I was ready to see his lake house. I was excited to get to spend the weekend without any pressures or drama from other people, and I was thrilled to finally be alone with him.

“Are you ready, honey?” my mother asked me as I finished packing my bags.

“Yeah. Everything’s packed.” I stared at myself in the mirror. “What do you think of this dress?”

“It looks lovely on you,” she said. She laughed. “The girls will think of any excuse to get dressed up, won’t they?”

“Pretty much,” I agreed. “I’m really excited to see Zack dressed up, though.”

“I don’t blame you,” she told me. She hesitated, looking uncomfortable. “Now, you know I have to talk to you about this…”

“Mom, I know what you’re gonna say, and I already have it worked out. Zack and I talked about it, and we’re not planning on doing anything we’re not ready for. It’s going to be completely innocent, I promise.”

She sighed. “That makes me feel a lot better,” she admitted. “Because I really didn’t want to go into the whole…”

“I know,” I interrupted. “I didn’t want you to do that either.”

The doorbell rang and I grabbed my bags, going down the stairs as fast as I could in the perilously high heels I was wearing.

When I opened the door, Zack smiled at my harried expression. “Everything okay?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m just trying not to fall in these heels.”

“You don’t have to wear heels, you know.”

I smiled. “You’re so naïve,” I said. “Girls don’t really dress for guys. They dress for other girls. It’s like a status thing. Kind of like it is when you guys have to win a football game to feel good about themselves.”

“Okay…”

“Don’t worry about it,” I told him with a laugh as I surveyed him. He looked unbelievably hot in his suit. “You look amazing.”

“I was about to say the same thing about you,” he remarked. He gazed at my bags for a moment. “Do you want me to help you with those?”

“If you don’t mind,” I said, giving him one of the bags. He handed me his keys and took the other one.

“Just press that button,” he told me, gesturing to one of the buttons on his car remote. I did so, and the trunk popped open. He put my bags in the trunk before he opened the door for me, slipping into the car a few moments later.

“So, listen, I was thinking… Maybe we shouldn’t tell people we’re going to your lake house together,” I suggested. “You know what people would say if we did.”

“I understand,” he said. “And I wouldn’t want to jeopardize your reputation like that. Don’t worry. My lips are sealed.”

“Thanks.”

When we pulled up to the restaurant, he parked and we sat there for a moment in silence. “Let’s try to get a seat as far away from Brennan and Audrey as we can, okay?”

“That’s fine with me.”

He sighed. “You ready?”

I smiled. “Ready as I’ll ever be. Honestly, I’m just ready to get this over with.”

“Me too.”

He climbed out of the car and opened the door for me, giving me a hug and a kiss before we headed inside.

#119 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

okay that was an awesome update! can't wait for another update. i gotta admit i'm kinda sad it's already ending but i also can't wait for it to end..eeppp!!! amazing update i tell you! update soon! :020:

#120 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hey, I just read your story now, I love it

In her own twisted way, I actually think Audrey isn't all that bad. Maybe spoilt though :P
I hope Brennan does get to talk to piper but then Zack's really sweet aswell and I don't know what would happen to him if they did :unsure:

update soon please

#121 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hey everyone! I luckily got a burst of inspiration and was able to finish this chapter!

In her own twisted way, I actually think Audrey isn't all that bad. Maybe spoilt though
I hope Brennan does get to talk to piper but then Zack's really sweet aswell and I don't know what would happen to him if they did
[/size
]

Yay, new reader! I'm glad you like my story! :D

Yeah, she's not really all that bad. I think she's just lacking something in her life. Like maybe she didn't have supportive parents or something...

I'm not going to go into too much detail at this point, because I don't wanna give away too much, but there is a scene where Piper and Brennan get to talk. At this point Zack's a little too cemented in her life for Brennan to be able to do too much damage to their relationship, though.

Hope you like the chapter! There's some mild cussing in it, but hopefully since the board didn't cover it up, that means it should be okay. Either way, just be warned... ;)

Chapter 30
Audrey’s POV

“I wonder what’s keeping Piper and Zack?” Onyx said worriedly as she stared at the door of the restaurant. “She’s usually on time to most everything.”

“I’m sure she’s fine,” I assured her. “She probably wasn’t sure what she wanted to wear. She’ll be here soon enough.”

After a moment of snacking on our appetizers, I spotted the attractive couple walking toward the building, looking like an ad for a high-end designer. They could make almost anyone jealous, I realized, feeling that pang of envy myself.

Brennan’s jaw dropped. “Whoa,” he muttered, giving Piper an obvious once-over. I elbowed him in the ribs and he glared at me. “Hey. Stop that.”

“Stop gawking,” I hissed. “She’ll notice. She notices everything.”

“I’m not sure I care,” he commented, turning back to stare at the girl as Zack opened the door for her and they stepped inside.

“Looking sexy, Piper!” Delanie hooted as Piper approached the table. Zack put a protective arm around her waist and she smiled at him with a giggle. “I’m gonna have to borrow those stilettos sometime.”

She laughed. “Wear at your own risk,” she warned. “They’re dangerous.”

“Where’s the fun in safe clothing?” Jade wanted to know.

“Sorry we’re late,” Piper apologized with a sigh. “The traffic was horrible.” She looked at the almost full table and I noticed her chagrin when she realized the only free chairs were in between Brennan and Jade.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s no big deal,” Sage assured her, giggling when her new boyfriend poked her in the side. “Trevor, stop!”

Zack leaned over and whispered something in her ear, and she shook her head, saying something back before she led him over to the chairs and took the chair next to Brennan. Zack reluctantly sat down in between her and Jade, sending a glare Brennan’s way before taking Piper’s hand on top of the table.

“So, is everyone ready for the end of school?” Jade asked excitedly, her naturally hyper nature heightened by the coffee she’d been having.

“Definitely,” Ivy replied. “I really need to get out and tan. I’m getting so pale…”

“Oh, come on, Ivy, don’t be ridiculous,” Laila remarked, rolling her eyes as she reached across the table to compare her arm with Ivy’s. Her boyfriend glanced at the scene, amused. “I’m so much whiter than you are right now.”

“I say you both look like you’ve been deep-fried,” Melina stated. “I’m the one who needs to hit the tanning bed.”

“Are we really going to sit here and argue about who’s the palest?” Piper asked with a laugh. “Because I’m pretty sure there are a lot better topics.”

“We’re going to have a pool party this summer, and we’re all gonna lay out and get dark. How about that?” Jaycee suggested. “We can have it at my house.”

“Or mine,” Delanie offered.

“Last time we had a party at your house,” Emma said, “we almost had to call the police. Why don’t we skip your house and lose the risk of repeating that?”

“Oh, come on, it wasn’t as bad as all that,” the girl dismissed with a laugh. “We all had a great time, didn’t we?”

“Speak for yourself,” Anna shot back. “You didn’t almost get raped.”

“You did not almost get raped,” Delanie said with a laugh. “Phillip was just a little buzzed, that’s all. He wouldn’t have really hurt you.”

“He looked pretty serious about it to me,” Onyx remarked. “I saw the whole thing.”

“Yeah, good thing you came up or he actually would’ve done it,” Anna commented.

“What exactly happened at this party?” Zack asked Piper worriedly, a hint of protectiveness in his voice.

“It’s a long story,” she replied quietly. “Don’t worry, nothing happened to me. It was a long time ago, not really worth talking about anymore.”

Jaycee smiled. “So, we’re having it at my house,” she decided, giving Delanie a pointed look. “Any ideas on a date?”

“Sometime in July,” I suggested. “There’ll be a lot of sun then.”

“Or the beginning of August, maybe,” Hazel added.

“Why don’t we have more than one?” Jaycee suggested. “We could rotate houses…” She glanced at Delanie. “No drunken boys, Lanie.”

Delanie’s boyfriend, Derek, gazed at her. “Yeah. No drunken boys,” he repeated. He grinned. “Unless it’s me.”

Zack scoffed quietly. “Douche,” he muttered under his breath.

Piper elbowed him. “I thought he was supposed to be your friend,” she scolded.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s an a--h---- sometimes,” he pointed out.

“Still,” she said.

“Oh, like you’ve never badmouthed a friend before,” he shot back with a grin.

“Okay, but never like that.”

He smiled. “I’m sorry. There. Is that better?”

She nodded, grinning. “Much better.”

The rest of the dinner was fairly uneventful, with talks about what we were all doing this summer and how the dance camps were predicted to go this year.

Unfortunately, after dinner, Sage stood. “Okay, well, as you all know, every year at this dinner we have the tradition of crowning the cutest couple. Since Jonathan…” several girls scoffed at the boy, whose sudden breakup with her had angered many of us “and I were named cutest couple last year, it was my responsibility to come up with the idea for the prize. This year our booster club allowed me to go all out, and the prize is a four day trip to Carmel this July.”

“Are you serious?!” Delanie asked, looking shocked and excited.

“I’m serious,” Sage confirmed. She handed each of the couples and a slip of paper, then handed one to each of the singles. “Go ahead and write down the couple you think is the cutest, and whoever wins…”

“…Has to plan this thing next year,” Laila joked.

“Right.”

I knew the instant everyone started writing who was going to win. Regardless of that, I wrote down Laila and her boyfriend, Jason, without a second thought, then folded the paper and tossed it into the middle of the table.

“Thanks for asking me,” Brennan said sarcastically.

“Well, it’s not like you care about anyone but her,” I whispered, jerking my head toward where Piper was tossing her paper onto the table.

After everyone was done, Sage gathered up the papers and sighed. “Emma, do you wanna help me?” she asked.

“Sure,” Emma agreed. “I’m so glad I don’t have to help you plan this next year.”

“Being a senior does have its perks,” Sage commented, smiling. They disappeared around the corner, and everyone whispered to the people near them.

Zack gave Piper a kiss on the cheek, and I could see Brennan squirm next to me.

“So, who did you guys vote for?” Jade asked.

“I’m pretty sure we shouldn’t be talking about that,” Piper remarked. “We don’t want anyone to get embarrassed or anything. Besides, we’ll find out soon enough.”

“I voted for you and Zack,” Jade told her with a shrug. “And I’m not embarrassed about it. You guys are adorable together.”

“Thank you,” Piper stammered, glancing at Zack, who looked just as embarrassed as she did. A few of the girls laughed as he put an arm around her.

After about ten minutes of talking, paying the bills, and drink refills, Sage and Emma came back, smiling.

“Who won, Sage?” Delanie asked.

“Was it even a contest?” Melina inquired, glancing pointedly at Zack and Piper.

Sage laughed. “No, not at all.” She took an envelope out of her purse and handed it to Zack. “Congratulations, guys. You were named the cutest couple.”

Piper blushed as Zack pocketed the tickets, giving her another kiss on the cheek. I had to admit they were very cute together.

“Thank you, everyone,” Piper said with a smile. “This is really surprising.”

“Maybe to you it is,” Hazel remarked, “but everyone else knew who was going to win when you walked in tonight.”

“We better get going,” Jaycee remarked as Leo helped her out of her chair. “I’m sure the restaurant doesn’t like us just sitting here for an hour when they could be seating guests.”

“Agreed.”

We all headed out the door to the restaurant and convened just outside the door. “So, who’s up for a party?” Delanie asked.

“Not at your house!” Anna commented. We all laughed.

“Actually, we can’t,” Piper remarked. Everyone turned to look at them. “We’re going…”

“…To her house,” Zack finished quickly. A little too quickly. “Her mother’s been really worried about her, especially with the new crime wave we’ve been having.”

“Well, there’s going to be a big group of us. We’ll be fine,” Ivy assured him.

“We actually… have plans already,” Piper told us, interrupted only when Zack brushed a strand of hair from her shoulder and whispered in her ear.

“Oh, we understand,” Ivy said with a mischievous grin. “Gonna go get it on, huh?”

Piper looked dismayed, shifting nervously. “That’s not…”

“That’s it.” Brennan suddenly launched himself at Zack, knocking him back onto the pavement with a thud. Piper gasped as we all stood there in shock. It was at least thirty seconds before anyone could make themselves even move from where they stood frozen, watching the two young men fight like they were fighting for their lives. Derek ushered Piper out of the way and he and Chris grabbed Brennan, pulling him off of Zack. I frowned when I saw that Brennan was just as messed up as Zack was. Both had bloody noses, and I was sure that Brennan would have a black eye after a while.

Up in a quick street move, Zack looked furious as he approached Brennan. Jason and Trevor stood behind him, ready to restrain him if it came down to that. “What the hell is your problem, huh, jackass?!” he demanded.

“My only problem is you, douche!” Brennan shouted.

“It’s not my fault you didn’t have the balls to man up and tell Piper you’re in love with her!” he yelled in his face. I saw several of the girls looking my way as Piper blanched. “You blew it, a--h----! And that’s no one’s fault but your own.” He reached out toward his girlfriend and sighed. “Let’s go, Piper. We have somewhere to be.”

Piper stepped up to him and took his hand gently. “Bye, guys,” she murmured. As they turned to go, she sent Brennan a glare that could’ve melted ice.

#122 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

I feel sorry for brennan :(
Hmm i wonder what did happen to Audrey

and cool a 4 day trip to Carmel! :spinstar::a_smil08::spinstar:

Will they go in this story?

#123 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Hey guys! Had some extra time and got to finish chapter 31!

and cool a 4 day trip to Carmel!

Will they go in this story?

Unfortunately, no. That's outside the realm of this story. It's fun to think about though! :)

Anyway, hope you like the chapter!

Chapter 31
Piper’s POV

“Ow! Stop that!”

I scoffed as I cleaned one of the bigger cuts Zack had gotten with alcohol. “Oh, come on, stop being such a baby.”

“I’m not being a baby.”

“Yes, you are.”

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am not.”

“Are you serious?” I asked him.

He just laughed.

“I am so, so, so sorry about all of this, Zack,” I told him as I stuck a bandage on his forehead. “I had no idea he would go crazy like that. I never would’ve suggested we go if I’d known.”

“It’s not your fault,” he said, taking off his shirt and staring at the bruises on his chest in the bathroom mirror. He pressed on one of them absentmindedly and watched the resulting white mark fade back to purple. “You’re not the psycho.”

“I don’t know what I ever saw in that guy,” I admitted angrily. “He’s a total a--h----.” He gave me a pointed look and I cut him off before he could say anything. “Please do not say I told you so. Please, please, please don’t say I told you so.”

Zack smiled. “Fine. I won’t say I told you so.” He chuckled. “But I did.”

I slapped his arm playfully. “You’re unbelievable,” I remarked.

“You know it.”

“Are you gonna be okay?” I asked worriedly.

He rolled his eyes. “Piper, I’m fine. And this is probably the fiftieth time I’ve answered that same exact question.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sure you’re getting annoyed with it by now.”

“Well, I don’t know,” he said thoughtfully. “Repetition is always irritating, but I’m not going to lie and say I don’t like the attention.”

I laughed. “Right.” I put the bandages away and we left the bathroom, plopping down on the couch in his spacious den.

“So, what do you think about that Carmel trip?” he asked. “Do you wanna go?”

“Of course I wanna go,” I replied slowly, looking at him like he was crazy. “Why wouldn’t I wanna go?”

He shrugged. “Well, I mean, now that Brennan’s practically declared his feelings for you…”

I raised an eyebrow. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Piper, the guy launched himself at me because Ivy said we were gonna go get it on. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t just because he wanted to try out some new street moves,” he remarked.

“No, I didn’t mean kidding about that,” I said quickly. “I mean, yeah, he’s made it pretty clear by now.” I hesitated. “What I meant was, after seeing what a great guy you are and what a horrible guy Brennan is, why in the world would I want to leave you for him? Do you really think I’m crazy? Because that’s what that plan is.”

He sighed. “I just figured that since… I mean, I saw how hard things were for you when he and Audrey started dating. It seemed like he really meant a lot to you. Now that you’re finally able to get what you’ve wanted all this time…”

“Just because that’s what I wanted then doesn’t mean that’s what I want now,” I explained. I kissed him softly. “What I want now is you, Zack. I’m not going to leave you just because some ass that couldn’t man up and tell me how he felt months ago finally did.” I took his hand. “It took guts to take me out like you did to tell me, and it showed me how much you really cared about me.” I grinned, trying to lighten the mood. “So you’re stuck with me in Carmel, mister, and you’d better like it.”

Zack laughed. “It’d be pretty hard for me to not have a good time if you’re there,” he commented.

I lay my head on his chest and sighed. “Do you wanna watch a movie or something?” I asked. “Or we could go out on the lake?”

“I don’t think going out on the lake is such a good idea,” he remarked. “It’s really dark out. But a movie’s fine. Why don’t you pick one while I go get popcorn?”

“Sure.”

He left the room and I approached the cabinet, pulling Get Smart from the shelf and popping the DVD in just as my cell phone rang. I answered without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“Piper, it’s Audrey.”

I frowned. “Audrey, I’m really not in the mood…” I sat down wearily.

“No, please listen. I just wanted to apologize for what happened earlier tonight. I hope you won’t hold it against me.”

“Popcorn’s ready!” Zack declared as he came back with an unbelievably huge bowl. I quickly shushed him.

“Why would I hold something he did against you?” I asked, putting the phone on speaker. Zack gave me a confused look and sat down next to me, putting an arm around me as he stared at the phone.

“Well, because I’m his girlfriend,” she explained. “I thought you might hold me responsible.”

“The only actions you’re responsible for are your own, Audrey. You didn’t jump Zack, he did. And even if you had caused any of it, he made the decision to do that.”

“Right.” She hesitated. “Is Zack okay?”

Zack gave me a warning look as I glanced over at him. “He’s fine. He’s a football player, he’s used to getting knocked around.” He frowned. “Not that he got knocked around,” I amended quickly. He gave me a thumbs up and pulled me back onto the sofa so I was practically lying on top of him. I leaned back and accidentally hit my head on his chin. “Ow…” I murmured.

“Sorry,” he whispered.

“Well, I’m glad he’s all right,” “Audrey said. I felt Zack tense when we heard a man’s voice in the background. “Um… well… Brennan wants to talk to you.”

“Why would I want to talk to him?” I asked, my voice naturally growing colder.

“He says he has something to tell you.”

“I don’t want to talk to him.”

“He wants to apologize.”

“Fine. Apology accepted. But I still don’t want to talk to him.”

There was a pause on the other line, and Audrey sighed. “All right. I’ll see you at practice on Monday, okay?”

“Okay. See you.”

“Bye, Audrey!” Zack added, fighting back laughter.

Just before I hung up, I heard shouting on the other line.

“Oh, that was real mature, Zack,” I commented as I sat up and turned on the television.

He grinned mischievously, and I couldn’t help but smile, too. “I know, I know. I just couldn’t help myself. It was such a great opportunity.”

I shook my head, laughing. “Well, I guess I can’t blame you. But that’s your only retaliatory act, okay?”

“Okay,” he agreed reluctantly.

I switched the television to DVD and the menu for the movie came up.

“Really? Get Smart?” he asked, looking shocked.

“What? Is there something wrong with that?” I countered. “We can always pick something else if you want.”

He shook his head. “No, no. It’s just that most girls would’ve picked a total chick flick and forced me to sit through it whether I liked it or not.”

“Well, I’ve never been that kind of girl,” I remarked. “Besides, I’m not really into chick flicks.”

“Thank God.” He grinned at me. “I knew there was a reason I loved you.”

I just laughed as he kissed my cheek and leaned up against him to watch the movie.

If you didn't know, the movie Get Smart came out in 2008, starring Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway. ;)

#124 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

LOL Get Smart, I love that movie! :D
AWW I still feel bad for Brennan, piper should have listened to him, but I lovee Zack, he's hilarious :P

Why did Audrey ring though, Brennan must have said something right?

this chapter was awesome and soo funny

Can't wait for more! X

#125 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hey everyone! The next chapter (the one I post after this) will be the last!

LOL Get Smart, I love that movie!

Me too! It's always been one of my favorites!

Why did Audrey ring though, Brennan must have said something right?

Actually, no. There will be a little about that in this chapter.

Hope you like it!

Chapter 32
Audrey’s POV

“Well, you certainly messed that up,” I commented as we sat in a small coffeehouse downtown. “What the hell were you thinking?”

He sighed. “I have no idea,” he admitted. “But just picturing her… with him… I just couldn’t handle it.”

“It makes things easier for me,” I remarked. I laughed. “Did you see her face? She was ready to kill you!”

“I’m glad you think this is so funny,” he said sarcastically, holding a bag of ice on his split lip. “As long as you’re happy…”

“I would’ve been a lot happier with that comment if it wasn’t so obviously facetious,” I replied, glaring at him. He winced as he touched his nose carefully. “You look like hell.”

Brennan frowned. “You have to have a conscience somewhere in there,” he commented, tapping my forehead. “It doesn’t come out often, but it’s got to be there. It must be driving you crazy right now.”

I rolled my eyes. “Some of us are born without consciences,” I reported. “And, I for one, am glad. I don’t need that kind of weakness.”

“You don’t have one?” he contemplated. “Then why did you call Piper?”

I hesitated. “Damage control,” I answered. “I had to make sure you didn’t do anything to ruin my credibility when you decided to try and use Zack for a punching bag.”

“I don’t think I entirely believe that.”

“Well, you should.”

“If you care about Piper, why are you so cruel to her? Lying to her, manipulating her… it doesn’t seem like something a good friend would do.”

“I don’t care about Piper. She’s got enough admirers and friends without adding me to the list.”

“You didn’t have to call her. You know how she is. She wouldn’t have blamed you. But you did anyway. And that means that you definitely care.”

“That’s a bunch of crap,” I told him, and we sat there in silence for a moment, drinking our coffee.

“This is all your fault, you know,” he stated.

I frowned. “How is this my fault? You’re the one who decided to jump the guy. Bad idea, by the way. You can’t keep thinking that just because you cage fight you can take anyone you come up against.”

“I did just fine.”

“Then why did you come out looking worse than he did? I mean, really, Brennan, can’t you think before you act?”

“If you hadn’t decided to play these psychotic games with us none of this would’ve happened. So don’t go thinking you’re innocent.”

“Hey, if you had better self control, you might still have a chance with her. But no, you ended up doing my job for me!” I frowned. “But great job, being so obvious that Zack noticed. That was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life! Did you see how those girls were looking at me? My own teammates, thinking I’m desperate enough to date someone who doesn’t even care about me.”

He gazed at me for a moment. “Well, isn’t that what you’re doing?”

I let the comment sink in, ignoring the sting it caused. It was discouraging to know that after all these months he still didn’t even care about me other than my ability to damage his relationship with Piper. “That’s not the point,” I told him, masking the hurt I couldn’t help but feel. “They’re going to feel sorry for me now, and pity is the last thing I need.”

“Maybe if you didn’t spend so much time manipulating me and actually decided to date someone who likes you, you wouldn’t have to deal with any of that.”

“But what’s the point of dating someone I don’t really like?”

“But that’s what you’re doing.”

Did he really not realize that I had feelings for him after all this time? I mean, maybe I had shown it in a strange way, but I had made it perfectly clear. “No, that’s not what I’m doing,” I said before I could stop myself.

If he felt anything when I said that, he didn’t show it. “Usually when someone cares about a person, they want that person to be happy,” he remarked slowly.

“Then why are you so against Piper with Zack? I mean, he obviously makes her happy.”

“Because I never even got a chance to try and make her happy,” he told me. “Had we dated and broke up, and she found him, I would’ve been fine. But it didn’t work out that way.”

“Did you ever think that maybe I’m better for you than she is?” I asked, trying to keep him from realizing how much his answer was going to mean to me.

“For a few minutes.” He frowned. “You’re definitely what I deserve.” His biting tone hurt more than I would’ve liked to admit.

“I appreciate the compliment,” I shot back in irritation,

“You know what’s really funny?” he asked. I shook my head. “If you hadn’t gone all wacko on me and actually helped me get with Piper, I would actually have liked you. But when I realized you were all about personal gain, that ruined it.”

“I’m not all about personal gain,” I defended instantly.

“Really?” he asked. “Look at what you’ve done. You’ve woven such a huge web of deceit and lies that your whole life is built on fantasy.”

“That’s ridiculous.”

“As hard as spiders work on their webs, there’s always someone who will come and break it,” he reminded. “And when someone comes to break yours, you’re going to be left with nothing… No friends, no boyfriends, no life. It might be a good idea to start building some relationships based on something other than deception.”

“I had no idea you ate so many fortune cookies,” I remarked. “But you apparently remember everything they say.”

“That’s not fortune cookie language,” he said. “That’s logic. And maybe if you spent less time thinking you’re so much smarter, prettier and all around better than everyone else, you would see that.”

“I don’t think it. I know it.”

“See? That’s the problem with you. Well, one of them, anyway.”

I glared at him. “I’m not the only one with problems, Brennan. You’re not so perfect yourself, you know.”

“I’ve never claimed to be perfect, unlike you.”

“I’m a lot more perfect than your little angel,” I spat. “I mean, really? It’s been months and she still hasn’t figured it out. If she’s so perfect, how come she’s too dumb to figure out I’ve been scamming her this entire time?”

“Oh, come on, you know as well as I do that she’s onto you,” he said, calling my bluff. “She’s just not into confrontation and fighting, the way you seem to be.”

“I’m not that kind of girl.”

“Well, then, why do you use scare tactics to get your way? I mean, poor Hazel is scared to death of you, and she’s supposedly your best friend.”

“That’s the way it should be.”

“No it’s not. There are a ton of people who don’t act like they’re part of the mafia and have tons of friends,” he pointed out.

“Yeah, friends who betray them and lie to them and use them,” I countered. “The only way to prevent that is to be the person doing the betraying and lying and using.”

Brennan sighed. “Well, I’m sick of being betrayed and lied to and used.” He stood. “I don’t care what you tell Piper, I’ve already ruined things with her. But I can’t do this anymore. We’re through.”

My eyes widened. “Brennan, wait. Please, can we talk about this?”

“No. It’s over.” He tossed a five dollar bill onto the table. “Call yourself a cab, I don’t want to drive you anywhere.”

“Brennan…”

He ignored me and turned on his heel, leaving the coffee shop without even a glance back as I fought the tears that were begging to fall.

#126 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Aww I feel so sorry for Audrey
she obviously does have a heart
if she wants to be loved

and if she called piper
i doubt it was ALL for 'damage control'
I hope she finds someone who does love her

and maybe, she's not really in love with Brennan
she's just convinced herself that she is?

Great chapter, more soon please :D

#127 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Awesome update ever!!! Finally more action!!! squeal! Oh I just have one sentence to say to Audrey; you reap what you sow. Weeeehhh!!! Update soon! :020:

#128 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:24 AM

Hey guys! It's almost over! I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it!

and maybe, she's not really in love with Brennan
she's just convinced herself that she is?

Yeah, I don't think she's in love with him at all. She just likes to get what she wants, and when he didn't want her back it became an obsession. I think she mistook that fixation for love, which it really wasn't. It was just wanting what someone else had.

Hope you like it!

Chapter 33
Piper’s POV

I could not believe Zack had football practice on the last day of school. It was ridiculous. I sighed as I sat perched on the hood of his car, watching the players run across the field in a series of drills that seemed so silly they made me laugh every time they started a new one.

The parking lot around me was chaos. There were people running around like they’d just found gold, and I’d gotten hit with a few water balloons from passing cars. I was almost happy I was waiting for Zack, because trying to get out of the school right now would’ve been a complete waste of time.

“Are you gonna stay here for a while?” I looked over and saw Hazel standing there.

“Yeah, I’m waiting for Zack to finish practicing so we can go out,” I reported.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll have fun. Just make sure you don’t stay out too late, because we have practice tomorrow morning.”

“I will.”

“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” she warned.

“I won’t,” I promised.

“See you tomorrow morning,” she said, giving me a hug before she skipped away.

I sighed. A month of summer practices didn’t seem all that fun to me, but I knew I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Bored, I slid back onto the hood of Zack’s car and closed my eyes, reveling in the fact that for the next three months I wouldn’t have to worry about due dates or projects or drama. I couldn’t wait.

“Piper?”

I recognized the voice right away, but I didn’t open my eyes. Maybe if I ignored it, it would go away.

“Piper.”

Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and stared up at the sky as I took a deep breath and released it loudly. “Hey, Brennan,” I said.

“Can we talk?”

“I don’t know…”

“Please? Come on, he’s all the way over there. Pretty sure I couldn’t jump him without his whole team coming after me.” I looked over and there was a hint of a smile playing across his attractive features.

“Okay. I’m listening.”

“Piper, I am so sorry about what happened last weekend. I don’t know what came over me, but I swear it’ll never happen again.”

“Glad to hear it.”

“But… Zack was right. I do have feelings for you.”

“I kind of figured when you tried to bash his face in.”

He sighed. “Piper, will you please hear me out?”

I thought about it for a second. “Okay. I’m going to walk down to the 7-eleven, and if you want, you can come with me.”

“Okay.”

I quickly texted Zack to let him know what I was doing and grabbed my bag, starting toward the convenience store as Brennan easily kept pace beside me. “Is that all you wanted to tell me? That you have feelings for me?”

“I broke up with Audrey.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

“I’m not.” He hesitated as I glanced over at him, trying to hide my surprise. “I never liked her at all, Piper.”

“Then why did you date her?”

“It’s a long story.”

I sighed. “I guess I have time. Zack doesn’t get out of practice for another hour.”

“Well, first of all, prom was great, and I felt something for you right off the bat. I knew we had a connection, but I was too… I don’t know, stupid or cowardly, to ask for your number. So when I found out you knew Audrey I tried to get her to help me get together with you.”

“That probably wasn’t the best idea,” I remarked.

“I know that now. But anyway, she tried to sabotage us, and what you thought of me. When I found out, she blackmailed me into going out with her.”

I stopped and stared at him for a second. “Blackmailed you? With what?”

“Well, you know how talented a liar she is. With anything she wanted. And then there was my past… you know, the anger management classes, the girls… I figured you’d have no reason to believe me over her after one night together.”

“I’ve always known Audrey was manipulative, but this is insane,” I couldn’t help but say. “I… That must’ve been frustrating.”

He ran a hand through his hair. “You have no idea.”

“I knew something was up, but I never knew it was something like that. I just figured she told you something about me.”

“I wish she had. Because I never would’ve believed it.”

“You should have told me about this earlier, Brennan. I could’ve done something about it then.”

“I know, I know. But I didn’t want you to have to go up against Audrey. She’s kind of a scary girl, don’t you think?”

“I think she has some serious emotional issues that need to be taken care of,” I admitted. “And I definitely think she’s dangerous. But I’m not scared of her. That kind of intimidation doesn’t work on me.”

“Well, I didn’t want to start anything. But I don’t care what she says now, because I wanted the chance to tell you how I felt without worrying about her or her stupid lies.”

“Brennan, did you really have so little faith in me that you didn’t think I would be skeptical of a girl who was so obviously after you?” I asked as I pulled open the door to the 7-eleven.

“It wasn’t so much that I didn’t have faith in you than it was that you didn’t know me well enough to know better,” he said. I sighed. That actually made sense.

“Yeah.” I got a drink and a pack of gum and headed up to the register, then dug into my purse, only to find that my wallet was gone. It was then that I realized I’d left it in my car. “Damn it,” I muttered.

“Something wrong?”

“I left my wallet in my car,” I groaned, digging around in the purse’s pockets for some change. “I have…” I glanced up at the cashier apologetically. “I’m so sorry. If you’ll just…”

Brennan handed the woman the money and I frowned. “Oh, come on, like you never let Zack pay for you,” he chided.

“Zack is my boyfriend,” I reminded him.

He sighed. “Right.”

I smiled. “But thank you.”

“No problem.”

I stuck the gum in my purse and grabbed the drink before we started back outside.

“I should probably tell you this,” I began, “but I’m afraid it’s only going to frustrate you even more than you already are.”

“And what’s that?”

“Brennan, I felt the same way. I was absolutely crazy about you. Audrey could’ve told me you murdered someone and it wouldn’t have changed anything.”

He sighed. “Oh.”

“And when I saw you with her, I just… it destroyed me. And Zack was there to pick up the pieces, and… There will always be a part of me that loves you, Brennan, but I’m in love with Zack. He’s really good to me, and I can’t leave him after all this. You must’ve known that when you decided to tell me.”

“I knew,” he admitted. “I just figured there was always hope.”

I gave him a hug. “There’s always hope,” I told him with a smile.

#129 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:30 AM

Sorry for the double post, guys, but I have a little surprise for you! This is the REAL ending!

Hope you love it!

Epilogue
Piper’s POV

Five Years Later

“Getting ready for your big date?” Jonathan Mathers asked me as he barged into the entryway of my dorm room. “Hey. Where are you?”

I peeked around the corner from the bathroom. “In here.”

“You look sensational, Flute. Why don’t you dump your high school love and come have a good time with me?”

“I’m gonna have to pass on that, Jon. And quit calling me Flute, it’s not near as funny as you seem to think it is.”

“Well, I think it’s pretty damn funny, so that means…”

“Was there something you wanted?” I asked him. “Because I have stuff to do.”

“I just needed to borrow your Information Systems book. I left mine in my car and I’m not feeling like going out there right now.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine, go ahead, it’s on my desk.”

“Great. Thanks…” he grimaced “…Piper.”

“You’re welcome,” I told him, grinning.

“Piper, come on, he’s here!” my roommate, Annie, shouted as I finished putting on my earrings. I slipped into high heels and I left our room quickly, sending a warning glare toward two of the more mischievous guys in our dorm when I neglected to shut the door. They gave me innocent looks that told me they were definitely going to try something.

“Sorry, sorry,” I said as I reached the door of the building. Annie was holding the door open for him, and I quickly held it open so she could go. “Ann, you might wanna go make sure Billy and Jesse haven’t decided to trash our room.”

“Good idea.” She darted off. “Good to see you again!” she shouted as I smiled.

“Hey,” I greeted. “Sorry I’m so late.”

He grinned. “Don’t worry about it. It’s not like I waited here for an hour or anything.”

“Where are we going?”

“I was thinking maybe The Gardens?” he suggested.

“I didn’t think you liked it that much.”

“Well, you love it, and that’s all that really matters, now, isn’t it?”

I shrugged. “If you say so.”

“I do.”

We climbed into his car and he drove in silence as I stared out the window, marveling at the beauty of the campus. Even after three years at the university, I still couldn’t get over it.

He shifted in his seat, and I was starting to sense some anxiety. I glanced over at him worriedly. “Is something wrong, babe?” I asked him.

“No, nothing. Sorry. I have a huge conference tomorrow and I’m just nervous, I guess.”

“If you need to prepare anything, I don’t mind canceling.”

“There’s no way we’re canceling,” he told me immediately. “Don’t worry about it. It’s my problem, not yours, and I’m sure I’ll let it go in just a few minutes.”

“Okay, then.”

When we made it to the restaurant, which was situated on a hill above the little college town we called home, the host seated us near one of the huge windows, giving us a perfect view of the campus below.

“Your server will be right with you,” the man told us.

“Thank you.”

“So, did you have any classes today?” he asked me, sighing as he fiddled with his cufflink. He was uncharacteristically fidgety tonight.

“No. I spent most of the day working on homework. I’m so glad I’m graduating next fall. I can’t wait to get out and start working…”

“I can imagine. You must be tired of all the stress.”

“Well, if I’ve observed correctly, your job isn’t exactly a walk in the park, either, is it?”

He gave me a charming smile. “Not exactly,” he agreed.

“I’m so glad you’re actually taking a weekend off,” I remarked, referring to our date to spend the weekend in Tahoe. “You’ve really been stressing yourself out lately.”

“Well, I wanted that promotion. I have to prove to the partners that I earned it.”

“I’m sure you already have. They didn’t just hand you that position on a silver platter, sweetie. You’re their best. They know that.”

He smiled. “I wish I had the same confidence you have in me.”

“I wish you did too,” I remarked with a laugh. “It would make my job a whole lot easier.”

The server came with drinks, and as soon as we ordered, he sighed. “So, how was your day?”

I sighed. “Kind of boring, actually. Jonathan barged into my room to ask me if I was free for the next thirty years of my life.”

“Won’t he ever get tired of those silly fake proposals?” he asked, chuckling.

I rolled my eyes. “I doubt it. He’s been hitting on me since the first day I came here, he has no reason to stop now.” I paused. “He’s really a good guy, though. He’s going to make some girl really happy.”

He grinned. “Not you, I hope.”

“I’m already happy,” I told him. “Why would I want anything more than what I have now?”

“You tell me.”

I smiled. “I wouldn’t.”

We ate dinner and chatted about interesting things that had happened since we’d seen each other the week before. Conversation was easy and constant, as it always was with him. It was all effortless and genuine, and it was never going to get old.

Afterward, he took me back to the campus and we walked across the lawn slowly as I held my shoes in my hand, staring up at the starry night sky.

“This is so beautiful,” I remarked, smiling as I sat down on one of the quaint wooden benches. He came to sit beside me and put an arm around my shoulders.

“You’re right,” he said, gazing at me with the same hypnotic eyes I’d fallen in love with years earlier. “This is beautiful.” He made it clear he was talking about me as he brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and leaned in to kiss me tenderly.

When we broke away, I lay my head on his shoulder and looked out at the nearly deserted campus, happy to just be there with him.

“What are you thinking?” he asked.

“Nothing much. Just how beautiful this place is. And how lucky I am to have you.”

“That’s a coincidence. I was thinking the same thing.”

I smiled. “Really?”

He smiled. “Really.” He pulled away from me and I felt his nerves coming back all over again.

“Please don’t get all nervous again, okay? That worries me.”

“Piper…” He gazed at me, and I was rendered speechless by the power of his gaze. “I am so in love with you. God knows I never deserved to be with someone like you, but… here you are. I would do anything for you, and I swear I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to prove it. So, Piper…” he pulled a black velvet box from his pocket and I felt like I was going to faint and fly at the same time “…will you marry me?” He opened the box and I was met with a beautiful diamond ring.

I stared at him for a moment, shock and elation keeping me from forming a coherent sentence as he took out the ring and slid it onto my finger. I stared up at him, my eyes shining with happy tears, as I finally spoke. “Of course I’ll marry you, Brennan.”

#130 rockgal

rockgal

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVEDD IT!!! That was sooooooo sweet!!

I still hope Audrey and Zack find someone themselves but

Spoiler

I'm sad it's finished now but it ended so perfectly.

And the epilogue was sooo frustrating when you wouldn't write his name! Lol
I was trying to figure out who it was.

Jonathon mathers is funny :P but sorry Piper's taken! :m:

I'm soo happy they finally got together after all that!!

AND I'm glad you're writing a new story but I'm going to miss this one.

I should stop writing noww

but I :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: IT!!!

:spinstar: BRENNAN & PIPER 4EVA :spinstar:

#131 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Oh mi gulay!!!! That's a shocker! Not! I was kind of expecting that twist, dearie. So, I'm glad it's a happy ending and all but answer these questions please! How did Zack and Piper break up? More exactly when did they break up? And when exactly did Brennan and Piper hook up? Lol. Sorry I'm always full of questions. Anyways, congrats for ending your story. I'll miss this story a lot. This is the only story I keep on the look out every time I log in and all, this is true. All in all, congrats for a happy ending! :020:

#132 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Haha I'm glad you liked it!

Rockgal: Haha I know! I did the name thing on purpose. It was hard for me too, actually. I kept trying to write his name and I was like "No! Not yet." I'm glad you loved it! And I'm sure Zack and Audrey will find someone. :)

Leah: Sorry my ending was so predictable! Haha :lol:

How did Zack and Piper break up? More exactly when did they break up? And when exactly did Brennan and Piper hook up?

I don't really have any specific ideas on how it happened, but they just kind of grew apart. She got interested in different things, and when it came time for college, they went different places. Their futures didn't mesh, and they realized that. They're still friends, they just weren't meant for each other that way.

Piper and Brennan ended up getting together during her freshman year of college. He was a year ahead of her at the university, and they met up somewhere to reconnect. The whole Audrey debacle had been forgotten, so there was none of that tension, and they discovered that they really were good together.

Hope that answers your questions!

#133 ☺Leah☺

☺Leah☺

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

Oh it's all good. It's still a nice story, so all's well that ends well. Oh okay cool. You totally answered my questions and satisfied me. Weeeh. It's still a happy ending. Woot~! :020:

#134 princessesrox123

princessesrox123

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Just finished the story and it was a very enjoyable read. I think I knew it before I read it that Brennan and Piper were going to end up with each other, which I am still not sure I'm ecstatic about, but it was somewhat of a surprise nonetheless.

I had a load of fun reading your story and I hope you keep on writing.

-Nikki :icon_sunny:

#135 livexlovexdance

livexlovexdance

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

Leah: I'm glad I answered all your questions!

Nikki: Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it! And I'll definitely keep writing. I actually have a new story up on the boards, Anemone Hills (it's a lot more structured than this one is... :) ). If you have some free time you should check it out!

Thanks for reading!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users